1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Lucidum

Lucidum Verifiably Bored

It's no longer a matter of 'when' or 'where' but 'yet' my good sir.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

There is no 'try'?
    That last one doesn't fit Earth 16 chronology.
    Thank you, corrected.

3. Irked

Irked Experienced.

I'm kind of worried we're about to have a very ominous interlude after that, because i still haven't seen anything that would have caused Pariah to show up.

4. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Since she's not being electrocuted, I'm assuming that the handle is covered by a gray material over the Nth metal, and not just bare metal. Safety aside, smooth bare metal gives a shitty grip.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'to I get' is incorrect

'do I get' is correct

Mr Zoat likes this.
  6. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Nah, that sort of thing only happens in stories. ;)

7. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

not quite my assumption-i haven't taken as much blunt force trauma to the skull as the DCCU version of Bruce wayne -yet-!
    my core concern was that they were re-purposing gear that had been configured to collapse the target universes on the fly, in a very short timespan-

with the Fission bomb stuff, it was considered a very unlikely possibility- they'd checked their math multiple times, and were fairly certain the device they built WOULDNT torch the atmosphere-
    in this case, they were using unfamiliar glowtech originally designed as multivercide-inducing WMD by a builder who was as nutty as Alexander Luthor-just with a different monomania-
    that had been in the middle of a raging firefight minutes/hours before- if it'd been a purpose-built rig, or there'd been a full teardown and rebuild (and the software/firmware gone over with a fine toothed comb), id have been less...twitchy

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  8. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

I think the problem is that I was reading your italic 'I' as a '/'.

9. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

Capitalise 'bleed'? As I understand English, whether you capitalise 'time' is up to you, as you're supposed to work out the meaning from context, but, I don't think I've ever seen 'The Bleed' not capitalised.

Nice wrap-up. Time stuff went pretty smoothly, and a Pratchett reference is always nice.

I'll admit I'm a little curious what OL did with the extra Orange Ring that he had, whether he gave it to someone else, or it faded away, or something. Reason I'm asking is that ring counting did become relevant, at the start of this mess. If he's still got it, does that make four such rings that he has?

10. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Is it me or did almost nothing of relevance happen to Paragon? I mean what are the consequences for him? Irrelevant knowledge about more parallel versions of him, the confirmed ability to use a violet ring in a pinch, Angelika making a big stride in overcoming her racism, and... that's it. Somehow it really feels like a letdown for what was supposed to be the great and long awaited Crisis of Infinite Pauls arc. And it didn't even have much of the "you're so similar, but so different" fun conversations or culture shock stuff either.

11. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Not to insult you, Zoat, but it's rather worrying that a mere human can understand the multiverse accurately enough to make changes like that.

Unless Time Trapper was mentally augmented it implies reality is disturbingly simple.

12. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

13. Ace Dreamer

If you look at most of the cosmic stuff, in the comic books, there's a reason they say "Cosmic doesn't sell comics". The fans are rarely happy, as their beloved stories, that they've poured their hearts into, just changed.

The characters, in general, don't notice much different, because "things are as they've always been", the joys of being retcon'd. Later, you find out various dead characters, sometimes long-dead, now are wandering around again. Often with a new past, sometimes with new powers. The story is now building a new 'Bible', having discarded the old one.

So, don't expect OL to think much has changed. But, if Mr Zoat wants, we could find out all sorts of things are different...

(Personally, I think he's a wise enough writer to not hit us hard with the retcon hammer, but, instead just change a few subtle things...)

Time is the simplest thing? :)

14. Rafin

That may be true for the "status quo is king"/"reboots galore" of the comic industry. But Zoat's story is all about having both a consistent and interconnected setting and an SI falling into said setting and blasting the status quo to shmithereens. I've been a long time fan of this story (even if I don't comment much) and this chapter had both little of the things that drew me here in the first place and seems, I don't know, irrelevant to everything.
    Maybe I just had overhyped expectations for the "alternates meet" arc, because Zoat already said years ago that he'd do it at some point. But even taking that into account, the -14 invasion of LexCorp arc was so much more satisfying.

True Ninja, Lord Ernest, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Eh some things will just never be to some peoples tastes.

I'll admit this Crisis thing didn't exactly go as I thought it would, but I'm not overtly disappointed or even that much satisfied with these two episodes, but they were still interesting.

Maybe if Zoat does another Crisis episode in the future people will enjoy it more.

Hey Zoat are we still going to get chapters focusing on what the alternate versions of Paul are doing in the future?

Lupercal and DAT_NOOB like this.
  16. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

in time trappers defence, he had a lot of trial and error.

Darko likes this.
  17. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I'll be certain to mention it at some point.
    They'll probably be a segment or two here and there. I should probably do one for Time Trapper himself, and I'm thinking of doing one for Lord Protector.

18. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

...seemed to go well.

Is Hinon going to take “A version of me changed the fundamental function of time” as bragging?

Why? He was a side-character in someone else’s story here.
    Mandated Paul gets a great deal of development. SI Paul, Grayven, Paultector? Just another Tuesday.

19. Rafin

It really shouldn't be for him. It's the first time he travels off planet since he got his yellow ring. The first time he learns that there are other copies of him. The first time he stumbles over anything DC related other than his ring.

Vorian and Darko like this.
  20. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

The works of savages, vandals, and barbarians - on both sides. She needs to see intellectual achievements. Not sure which ones (not a historian) but there likely are some.

Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He probably involved himself in very little of the Canon events and was just governing his people, so probably not that much action on his side.

Langton Hughes comes to mind.

Cuchulin likes this.
  22. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

He is the reason why Naylor failed to change the future.

The episode that happened months ago with the time cops (the mandated) established that changing time was possible, that was in conflict with Naylor and eventually Impulse showing up to change the future. This episode just highlighted why they will always fail, because now time cannot be changed and timeliness cannot be replaced...

23. Mr Zoat

The super soaker and the refrigerated lorry.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This will most likely not be true in the future and it will be able to change the future.

I think Abra, or the other time travellers, said there are rules that govern time travel, but they are too complicated for mortals to understand, and while TP isn't you're run of the mill mortal he still may not understand that much about time travel to make it so you can't change the future.

25. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

It was a reference dude!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_vs._Muhammad_Ali

I was joking.

According to the movie Shaka basically reinvented tactics and strategy out of nearly nothing. Also the Zulu's beat the 19th centuries most powerful and advanced Empire (the British) using spears, hardly Savages or Barbarians on both sides. Since she was a "Nazi" it makes sense she might be impressed by military achievements.
    For purely intellectual achievements i'd go with a look at Benjamin Banneker and George Washington Carver.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Vorian, Ardy and Darko like this.
  26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Cuchulin likes this.
  27. Mr Zoat

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Pretty sure Supes couldn't beat Arnus that easily.

And even if he wouldn't win he could put up an impressive fight.

29. Ace Dreamer

You don't tug on superman's cape...

30. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

So you feel like I did after reading Zero Hour.

Darko likes this.