• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

"Apparently, she's nearly managed to align it with the Green. When she does, every plant on the planet will burn any demon that touches it."
So all Plant Life becomes VASTLY more Sacred than they were before? Neat!

Guess Herb Lore is about to become an even more essential study of Witchcraft for mages to learn.

It is interesting that even he seems to notice himself getting nudged away from focusing on John Constantine, though. Definitely making the likelihood that John set something up for privacy more probable.

Didn't John mention a kind of magic that makes things time themselves just right for you? One of those magic Amish people from another dimension also talked about it and what it could do at more potent levels, something about being in sync with the universe?

What if all these problems that have been popping up lately are all unintended effects of John's (hypothetical) spell? The whole Zeus thing, the magic gun assassin, even things before that, all because John underestimated how far OL would go to finish a project.

I need to go back and see how many arcs have spawned out of situations coming from almost nowhere.

Wow. Every plant will burn demons? Sheesh, Euanthe casually doing what the Silver City never managed in millenia.

That alone should secure the New Pantheon endless followers. At least in...was it Fawcett City that got thrown into hell a while ago?
Except the Silver City is doing it right now, through Euanthe.

Which is how they work.

If Euanthe's plan works out, throwing flowers at Devil Jizz users might actually be a viable tactic to neutralize them! If embarrassing for any police or military personnel involved (though maybe they'll shift to wooden bullets or something- Green Arrow can live up to the 'Green' in his name and teach everyone archery with Eden-wood arrows!).

One way I think Euanthe can fit into larger human society and even aid in the interstellar uplift and advancement is by making her halidom a source of magical natural resources, for medicine and other (al)chemical uses, wood, etc. (I'm thinking of Xianxia examples with some pretty trippy plants). She's not like Hyathis or Demeter because she's not defined by human(oid) notions of civilization, but she's an expression of the natural world, so why would she? Instead she could help create entire Nature Worlds and oversee the sustainable extraction and use of magical herbs and plant resources, communing with humans through intermediaries like Isley and the Accala (tribes may not be urban but that doesn't mean they don't extract natural resources or use them, just that it's on a smaller-scale and not (as) prone to exploitation). Odym seems like an example of an idyllic natural world, maybe she could create something like that, or be persuaded to make actual gardens too some degree.

If Paragon manages to get her some wood from Yggdrasil, he could possibly bring his Mother of Mercy-dream of creating a Root of Yggdrasil to allow thaumospheres to develop or propagate in space actually come true, even if it's basically only aligned towards Green and natural magic. Peaches of Immortality from Chinese/Taoist mythology, the apples of immortality and youth from the Garden of the Hesperides (which I think Hera owns) and the Norse Idunn respectively., and so on..Getting her to replicate magical plant-life on a big scale, even if it's reduced in potency to just promoting longevity (I'm not sure if Mother of Mercy actually qualifies as plantlife, and I don't think she and Euanthe have ever met, but that could also be interesting, and maybe a way to introduce Mongul back into the story and deal with him). Forcing human(oid) ideas of urbanization and industrial civilization onto a sapient life who has a totally different mentality, outlook and value system on the world (in a way, more alien than most of the aliens that Paul has met) just seems tasteless and a bit cruel. I know and understand that Paragon wouldn't be interested in this, but the New God Primitives and the Bug People seem like they'd fit in well in the world Euanthe has created. I'm surprised there aren't more dryads and more indigenous nature spirits making a reappearance and running around.

I more recently found out about the Wood Wide Web and how important symbiotic relationships between fungi and plants are, so I think/hope the Grey gets involved, I feel like that would be necessary to make something more self-sustaining- and definitely help in the deterioration and breaking-down processes (Apparently prehistoric trees just laid around for millennia after dying because nothing could consume them, until a fungus evolved to be able to decompose them, and most of our coal comes from those original trees just being deformed under sheer pressure and time). I think Euanthe was negotiating with non-plant nature spirits in Rhelasia when she created that magic forest that would attack people if they felled trees (like mountain/earth spirits she called oreades or something, even if they weren't Hellenic nature spirits), so I think it could be possible.

Last edited:
I need to go back and see how many arcs have spawned out of situations coming from almost nowhere.

We still don't know what was up with the sudden increase in Supergirls, or even the where or why of New Kara. And that just so happened to lead directly to the Earth 666 arc. We don't know who co-opted the magic demon guns to kill heroes.

Honestly, I'm even starting to be suspicious of Jade wanting to take a month vacation. I'm beginning to realize there are a whole heap of questions going unanswered because THINGS KEEP HAPPENING

"Apparently, she's nearly managed to align it with the Green. When she does, every plant on the planet will burn any demon that touches it."

"And that's why we want her in the pantheon."
You know, if Constantine really has figured out Synchronicity Wave Travelling (buffed by being a Lord of Chaos) then this might be something that he's arranged in the background as a giant fuck you to some demon he'll be fighting just as OL finally catches up with him.

Didn't John mention a kind of magic that makes things time themselves just right for you? One of those magic Amish people from another dimension also talked about it and what it could do at more potent levels, something about being in sync with the universe?

What if all these problems that have been popping up lately are all unintended effects of John's (hypothetical) spell? The whole Zeus thing, the magic gun assassin, even things before that, all because John underestimated how far OL would go to finish a project.

It would make a great amount of sense, and would be an amusing Watsonian meta-narrative explanation for the course of events, even if it would only apply to Paragon's Earth-related adventures. In a way it's good, like forcing all the pests to come out of the woodwork so they can face extermination (pests in this case being any malignant slumbering magical force, entity or individual). Though maybe John Quinn/Doctor Fate is the one doing it (or they're doing it together, who knows). I do hope it gets resolved soon, even if Constantine still has to be offscreen for the majority of the time because he'd literally magically fix any situation the heroes find themselves in if Paragon could use his most original superpowers of phone-a-friend and networking that he used to deal with problems earlier on in the fic. Though at least maybe he could help take down Circe and finish off the Light once and for all (don't know if she and Boss Smiley are doing some similar reality-warping to cause other problems to pop up because they literally can't deal with the heroes' direct attention, especially Paragon).

You know, if Constantine really has figured out Synchronicity Wave Travelling (buffed by being a Lord of Chaos) then this might be something that he's arranged in the background as a giant fuck you to some demon he'll be fighting just as OL finally catches up with him.
I think we've already seen the highest echelon of demons that have an actual chance of showing up in the story (since beings like Lucifer are basically stated to not show up because they're too powerful) and none of them know what's up with John. Maybe he's just been fighting the King of Tears and M'nagalah the Cancer God and Eclipso all by himself off-screen in alternate dimensions to finally eradicate them for good. Or backstabbing/eliminating more malevolent Lords of Chaos like Mordru in wherever they hang out when they can't materialize on the mortal plane of existence.

Do I need an actual staff or something? People I can give these jobs to? And I can't even guarantee that I'm going to be able to give finding John my full attention after Hephaestaean is fully bedded in.
I'm sure at least one of the billions or trillions of freed Coluans would be willing to be his attache, they seem like they could handle the processing and prioritization tasks well. He could probably even give them a ring.

Last edited:
For goodness sake, I'm supposed to be looking for John Constantine!

After I find-!

Djhurr.

Do I need an actual staff or something? People I can give these jobs to? And I can't even guarantee that I'm going to be able to give finding John my full attention after Hephaestaean is fully bedded in.
Well, at least he's self-aware now.

And this is why Grayven doesn't like to have a Boss.

Oh El you helped the guy become a chief God, you don't owe him, he owes you, you don't need to work for him. He owes you three wishes and a goat.

Yeah, it's a bit jarring to me... getting rid of Zeus was like a weekend project that only took that long because he had to replace the man, the Olympians seemed to fear him for it, yet he's acting like their subordinate. It's even more with the Justice League... OL is one of the leaders of a galactic army, interacts and advises server interstellar nations, Pantheons, and more but for some reason gets treated like one of the kids by the League. I wouldn't be surprised if most allies thought he was in charge of Earth.

Yeah, it's a bit jarring to me... getting rid of Zeus was like a weekend project that only took that long because he had to replace the man, the Olympians seemed to fear him for it, yet he's acting like their subordinate. It's even more with the Justice League... OL is one of the leaders of a galactic army, interacts and advises server interstellar nations, Pantheons, and more but for some reason gets treated like one of the kids by the League. I wouldn't be surprised if most allies thought he was in charge of Earth.

It's because he doesn't want to be in charge. So he's fine with those situations.

Oh El you helped the guy become a chief God, you don't owe him, he owes you, you don't need to work for him. He owes you three wishes and a goat.
Is it odd that I find that Paragon OL gives me some Obsessive Compulsive or actual addiction to his work vibes?

I mean, his unswerving obsession with the concept of the Uplift to the extent it seems to have taken over most of his life, constant bouncing around from one project to the next, seeming difficulty accepting handing tasks off to others to the extent vacations make him uncomfortable, reoccurring discomfort with the idea of disorder, and so on and so on really give me vibes that his thought patterns are closer to some type of abnormality rather than something one would consider well balanced or completely healthy.

Not meant to be a dig at the character, but his behavior does give me this kind of...I don't know. Frantic vibe? Like the thought of a world that is disordered or not spending most of his time working to set it to his idea of order would produce anxiety or discomfort?

Or like the idea of him not working all of the time is liable to send him into a withdrawal of sorts?

I don't know if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Is it odd that I find that Paragon OL gives me some Obsessive Compulsive or addict vibes?

I mean, his unswerving obsession with the concept of the Uplift to the extent it seems to have taken over most of his life, constant bouncing around from one project to the next, seeming difficulty accepting handing tasks off to others to the extent vacations make him uncomfortable, reoccurring discomfort with the idea of disorder, and so on and so on really give me vibes that his thought patterns are closer to some type of abnormality rather than something one would consider well balanced or completely healthy.

Not meant to be a dig at the character, but his behavior does give me this kind of...I don't know. Frantic vibe? Like the thought of a world that is disordered or not spending most of his time working to set it to his idea of order would produce anxiety or discomfort?

Welcome to the orange side.

Paul wants to work with Heph to uplift the entire world and he wants to please Heph to make their relationship better, so if he needs to do errands for him then he's fine with it.

well......that's good. So now the anti demon defense is too just have people carry living plants to smack a demon with.........neat

Heck, eating vegetables could now be a legitimate way to ward off demons since they may not touch you or eat you without burning up.

Synchronicity Wave Travelling it's called.

We still don't know what was up with the sudden increase in Supergirls, or even the where or why of New Kara. And that just so happened to lead directly to the Earth 666 arc. We don't know who co-opted the magic demon guns to kill heroes.

Honestly, I'm even starting to be suspicious of Jade wanting to take a month vacation. I'm beginning to realize there are a whole heap of questions going unanswered because THINGS KEEP HAPPENING

I forgot about the Supergirls.

Thanks for reminding me.

Makes sense.

Is it odd that I find that Paragon OL gives me some Obsessive Compulsive or actual addiction to his work vibes?

Or like the idea of him not working all of the time is liable to send him into a withdrawal of sorts?

This makes perfect sense.

Tying the Green of earth to the source is how you get a new form of new God plantoid species and get the interest of Darkseid.

But hey let's not ask what else is going to happen to Euanthe... If she even knows.
Well in DC canon Earth is the fifth world were meant to be the next gods after Apokalypse and New Genesis fall so it make sense if Earth is suddenly full of gods.
Also, does anyone else still suspect that John Quinn is a creation/split of Constantine to fulfill his role as a Lord of Order?

Batman's thoughts: "Oh, what the fu-..." Seriously, OL dropping something like this on him? Even he'll be a little put out.

That's what he gets for working with Paul.

...Unless she and Ivy have been getting creative.

I remember that in the WITCH cartoon the main villains for the first season, Phobos, would use flowers to listen in on the people in his castle.

...That sounds like... Not such a great idea. What if it gives people more accustomed to using those energies a backdoor into the Green, never mind what it'll do to those Earth natives who might have issues with that sort of added feature?

Yeah, some magicians that rely on demons could be screwed and it's possible that the Apokaliptians could use it.

Tying the Green of earth to the source is how you get a new form of new God plantoid species and get the interest of Darkseid.

But hey let's not ask what else is going to happen to Euanthe... If she even knows.
After all Plant Life becomes connected to The Source, with everything it's connected to and influences, to me it seems it's only a matter of time before the other Elemental Kingdoms/Planes follow suit.

Earth in it's entirety may very well become even more of a supernatural hotspot than it was begore.....

Wasn't the Supergirl thing Truggs using the one he had as a focus to poke around for other realities to steal tech from? I thought that was what he implied.

She can't ordinarily hear through plants, due to plants not having ears and so not being able to hear.
That's not actually true. I mean plants not being able to hear. We've recently discovered that you can make them grow their roots in a specific direction by playing the sound of running water there, or that you can get them to activate immune defenses by playing the sound of specific parasites munching on their compatriots.

That's a Poison Ivy classic; they'll do doubt be loaded with some sort of unnatural mental influence pollen
"no"

I smile politely at Lady Liberty, who smiles back just as honestly. She's gone for the classical robes that look classy to most modern people but just looks a little off to someone used to Themysciran clothing. I'll be interested to see if she actually sounds French.

She shouldn't?

Lady Liberty is actually Libertas, the Roman goddess of liberty, who may or may not be the same person as Eleutheria, the Greek goddess of liberty. (Eleutheria was worshiped in, so far as I know, one city in Lycia. After the city was hellenized, Eleutheria was retroactively downgraded to being an aspect of Artemis.)

If you want a home-grown American goddess, there's Columbia, who's the national personification of the U.S. (the equivalent of Great Britain's Britannia).

... never read any of DC's Uncle Sam plotlines, however, so no idea what the established canon is.

I mean Paul is the one who set up this overthrow without any sort of succession plan or really anything for the aftermath.

A lot can go wrong here that could spiral out into the human world due to the nature of the gods.

And it would be OL's fault because he negligently and recklessly overthrew Zeus. At least if he did nothing. So he contributes and helps. This is the way OL does things. Not just beat up the bad guy and move on.

And I dont think Jade's vacation was part of it. That was a long time coming and is the thing that put OL on the path to find John.

OL is definitely off mentally, as has been mentioned before by myself and others. His exposure to the Orange Light has significantly altered his worldview from before the Ophidian. Renegade doesnt have this issue. He has his own issues, but they are different. It is also why Blue Lantern Paul hasnt tried to turn on the syndicate even when weakened. He hopes he can make them better. Using the rings alters how you think. Either you lose control, or you change yourself enougg to be functional. But you still change.

Wasn't the Supergirl thing Truggs using the one he had as a focus to poke around for other realities to steal tech from? I thought that was what he implied.

I don't think so.

I think he just captured the demon Supergirl and figured out that he could steal tech from her reality, but I don't think he was behind the various Supergirls showing up.

... never read any of DC's Uncle Sam plotlines, however, so no idea what the established canon is.

Uncle Sam is a zeitgeist, the personification of the USA as a "shining city on a hill," who was first summoned to Earth by occultists among the Founding Fathers, so Zoat hasn't really changed that from the comics.

There was a time in which Uncle Sam manifested as Patriot, who seemed less a personification of an ideal, but rather a manifestation of the people, Patriot seemed to be the Melting Pot, the "We the People," but Patriot lasted for like 5 minutes before DC brought Uncle Sam back.

However on Earth 11, the reverse gender world, Uncle Sam's local equivalent is Columbia.

So... the only difference I see with Grayven way of doing things is that the New Gods don't care about Earth Gods, that's it.

I find myself really disappointed that uplifting humanity literally needs divine intervention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back