• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

XF2 transition feedback

The toolbar at the top of the site, is there a way to make it retract when not looking for it?

Something else I noticed that could use cleaning up is the fact that in any new Alerts a threads tags are included in it. It definitely clutters up the alerts page, if that's removable that'd be great.

Something else I noticed that could use cleaning up is the fact that in any new Alerts a threads tags are included in it. It definitely clutters up the alerts page, if that's removable that'd be great.
You can actually already change that in the preferences page. Under alert preferences, there's an option called "show tags in alerts", which you can disable.

The toolbar at the top of the site, is there a way to make it retract when not looking for it?
You can un-sticky it in user preferences. That way it will just stay at the top of the page, and not follow you as you scroll.

Aside from that, looks like the Home button was removed. Not too surprising, since QQ doesn't have a dedicated home page, and it just went to the forums page anyway.

Is anyone else getting a lot of alerts to normal (non-OP) replies to watched threads? Even ones they hadn't read the latest post on to do so? I wasn't having this happen yesterday, so I don't know why it's started now.

Is anyone else getting a lot of alerts to normal (non-OP) replies to watched threads? Even ones they hadn't read the latest post on to do so? I wasn't having this happen yesterday, so I don't know why it's started now.

Just noticed it myself. Thread alerts seem to be presuming that not currently having an alert from the same thread still unread means you are fully up-to-date with that thread and it should generate a new alert whenever anything new is commented.

Edit: I'm pretty sure this is caused by the addition of "Generate new alerts without reading thread" option in preferences, which is apparently checked by default. Unmarking that should restore to normal functionality.

Last edited:
Edit: For future people reading this, disable this setting, if it's enabled every thread you watch makes alerts if someone posts in it regardless of you having read the thread. It was enabled for everyone around ~2024-05-10 20:00 UTC ± a few hours.
public

Edit: I'm pretty sure this is caused by the addition of "Generate new alerts without reading thread" option in preferences, which is apparently checked by default. Unmarking that should restore to normal functionality.
It 100% is, I was playing with that setting earlier as part debugging op email alert issues. Apparently it got re-checked for everyone as I'd explicitly unchecked it a few hours ago, even posted a screenshot of my settings in that thread so I know I'm not mis-remembering.

Last edited:
Does XF2 have a way to block tags as well as threads and users? It would be really nice if I could ban the Worm tag and then never see another Worm thread ever again.
It's semi-doable with user CSS, though only if there's info on the thread being Worm-related in the first three tags, or the title of the thread. If the thread has more than three tags, and any indications of worm are not in the three shown on the threads listing page, and the title doesn't show it, this method won't work.

Anyway, create a user CSS using Stylus, and apply the following:
CSS:
.p-body-pageContent div[data-type="thread"] .structItemContainer-group.js-threadList
    .structItem--thread:has(.structItem-cell--main .structItem-title a:last-child:where([href*="-worm"], [href*="worm-"])),
.p-body-pageContent div[data-type="thread"] .structItemContainer-group.js-threadList
    .structItem--thread:has(.structItem-cell--main .structItem-minor .structItem-tagBlock
        .tagItem:is(.tagItem--tag_worm, .tagItem--tag_worm-au, .tagItem--tag_worm-altpower, .tagItem--tag_worm-oc, .tagItem--tag_worm-fic, .tagItem--tag_worm-crossover,
                    .tagItem--tag_taylor-hebert, .tagItem--tag_danny-hebert, .tagItem--tag_greg-veder, .tagItem--tag_smugbug, .tagItem--tag_lisa-wilbourn, .tagItem--tag_amy-dallon))
{
    display: none;
}
This looks for tags like "worm", "worm au", and "smugbug", as well as "Worm" in the title. Not perfect, but it should catch most of them.

Topbar looks better now that it's a tight one line.

Thanks!

It would be nice for my personal workflow* to have the Watched Threads as a single-click top bar item, but it's easy enough to just click twice -- once on Forums, once on the exposed Watched Threads button when the main forum view loads -- as long as you don't mind the server loading that extra page every time.

The dropdown isn't great for my fat fingers on mobile, but the two-click workflow* seems pretty reliable.

*) leisure flow? shitpost flow?

Got hit by an issue where new posts in a thread that's been active for months since I last checked it out are showing up in the alert queue.

Topbar looks better now that it's a tight one line.

Thanks!

It would be nice for my personal workflow* to have the Watched Threads as a single-click top bar item, but it's easy enough to just click twice -- once on Forums, once on the exposed Watched Threads button when the main forum view loads -- as long as you don't mind the server loading that extra page every time.

The dropdown isn't great for my fat fingers on mobile, but the two-click workflow* seems pretty reliable.

*) leisure flow? shitpost flow?
You might be able to live without one-click functionality for Watched Threads, but I can't. It's the most important (most used) link in the entire menu imo.

Sorry for the noob question but is there a setting that make it so a new chapter alert didn't get automatically read? I usually click alerts so the number didn't get big but I just realize that new chapter alert got read also.

Sorry for the noob question but is there a setting that make it so a new chapter alert didn't get automatically read? I usually click alerts so the number didn't get big but I just realize that new chapter alert got read also.

near as I can tell you need to look throguh all the alerts then manually click the "mark unread" on the ones that interest you

You might be able to live without one-click functionality for Watched Threads, but I can't. It's the most important (most used) link in the entire menu imo.

I would prefer the one-click Watched in topbar.

I'm just saying how I work around it on SB when I'm using a mobile device.

Is it just me, or did a bunch of people's avatars just disappear? Still seeing avatars in this thread, but several in the Site Styling thread seem to have gone blank.

The bar being one line now seems to have fixed my thing; it is now going to the top of posts properly.

Uhh, con+c/con+v no longer works with images on QQ, and having to use the Link insert thing is just annoying.

Bumping some of my old questions and adding a few new ones:
  1. When going to click spoilers, a tooltip now pops up above it and it lingers for a moment after going off it. Is there a way to specifically turn that off?
    • Context: If there is a list of spoilers one after another (like in an image thread), this prevents me from quickly opening all the spoilers from the bottom up. The tooltip blocks the spoiler button above the one I am on.
    • I could open them from the top-down, but then unopened lower spoiler buttons would be pushed down unpredictably as pictures load in. Before, doing it bottom-up was more predictable and efficient.
  2. What was the old style of QQ before the upgrade? I cannot seem to find it anymore and I got really used to it. The other ones each have their own idiosyncrasies that I would need to get used to (e.g. "Light" does not have a visible enough line between comments and signature).
  3. I noticed that after SB upgraded a few years ago, if someone quotes one of your posts you see it highlighted in a different colour than other ones. Is there a setting for that in the version QQ is using too?

1. How do I add a formatted list? I do not see an option for that anymore in the rich text editor.
This was fixed. There is now a dropdown for lists again.

2. In the old version, there would be a horizontal bar near the top and bottom of each page. Clicking the hamburger icon (the three horizontal bars) in it would open a site map that let you navigate to completely different sections of QQ quickly. Is there still something like that now? Otherwise, I have needed to go to the front page first to find the link if I needed to go from (say) creative writing to general.

3. Is there a way to automatically expand the sections at the top of the rich text editor as far as they will go? I use spoilers a lot and that button used to be right there in the header bar by default instead of needing to click "More options..." first. Not a huge problem, but adding extra clicks to my normal process can add up.

4. Before, I could post a link to (for instance) Twitter and just have it stay like that. Now it detects and expands to an embedded twitter post automatically, even if I just want the URL. Is there a way to prevent that?

5. Does loading things (especially images) seem slower for anyone? Are there any settings that I need to configure things run lighter?
Anyone have more information on the above?

It's semi-doable with user CSS, though only if there's info on the thread being Worm-related in the first three tags, or the title of the thread. If the thread has more than three tags, and any indications of worm are not in the three shown on the threads listing page, and the title doesn't show it, this method won't work.

Anyway, create a user CSS using Stylus, and apply the following:
CSS:
    .structItem--thread:has(.structItem-cell--main .structItem-title a:last-child:where([href*="-worm"], [href*="worm-"])),
    .structItem--thread:has(.structItem-cell--main .structItem-minor .structItem-tagBlock
        .tagItem:is(.tagItem--tag_worm, .tagItem--tag_worm-au, .tagItem--tag_worm-altpower, .tagItem--tag_worm-oc, .tagItem--tag_worm-fic, .tagItem--tag_worm-crossover,
                    .tagItem--tag_taylor-hebert, .tagItem--tag_danny-hebert, .tagItem--tag_greg-veder, .tagItem--tag_smugbug, .tagItem--tag_lisa-wilbourn, .tagItem--tag_amy-dallon))
{
    display: none;
}
This looks for tags like "worm", "worm au", and "smugbug", as well as "Worm" in the title. Not perfect, but it should catch most of them.
This is really neat, thanks!

Now how do I use Stylus and user CSS? Some cursory googling and searching of my user settings isn't turning up anything immediately.

The two things about this website's layout that I appreciated compared to other forums have been lost.
The first is that (at least on moble, I don't remember how things looked on pc) this used to be the only forum I've seen without a big bar on the left of posts, giving more room for text, but now there's wasted space like every other forum.
The other lost feature is that it used to be that the button on threadmarks, regardless of category, was labeled index, meaning that when I wanted to read all threadmarks across categories in order, I could do 'find in page' for 'index' on each page. The buttons are labeled with thier category now, so this doesn't work anymore.

This is really neat, thanks!

Now how do I use Stylus and user CSS? Some cursory googling and searching of my user settings isn't turning up anything immediately.
You can download the extension from the Firefox addon site or the Chrome store. The pages have links to tutorials and stuff to help explain how to use it.

You'll basically just write a style for the site and copy the CSS into the edit window.

A minor thing I've noticed is that we now have tags showing for each thread on the subforum list. Now, alone this isn't an issue. What causes me an issue is that if one of those tags is longer than the box allocated to it, it is truncated and shows "..." at the end. You can then hover over that and it will expand to show the full tag. That also isn't the issue in isolation. The issue is that when the length of the tag boxes combined with the horizontal space available get really close, hovering over one of those truncated tags will end up expanding it and then pushing things onto a new line, thus shifting the entire page down from that location.

I'd like for either a way to turn off tags showing next to threads, or for this expand tags on hover to be turned off.

Is there any chance Alerts can be set to how they worked before, or for SB/SV's "Threadmark" alerts to be replicated? They explained their alerts here

Previously in QQ, if you had an alert on the thread, you'd only get notice for posts by the OP and the first unread post in the thread until you viewed it again - now, however, every watched thread that has had any new posts pops up with a notification. It makes keeping track of actual updates substantially more challenging.

The dividing line for the signatures could do to be a little more distinct, as it is on light it's rather easy to miss.
Seem to still be getting this, even when I've not actually gone on the thread simply 'reading' the alert makes it reset and the next time someone has posted that comes up as the 'new alert'

You can download the extension from the Firefox addon site or the Chrome store. The pages have links to tutorials and stuff to help explain how to use it.

You'll basically just write a style for the site and copy the CSS into the edit window.
Of course it's a browser extension, that should have been obvious to me. I thought it might have been a new forum feature or something. Thanks for that too.

If you just click the "Watched" text, it will take you directly to the Watched Threads page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back