• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

XF2 transition feedback

Like SB the spell check function in the text box now randomly glitches or stops working. It never used to do it with the old versions and I always appreciated that when I made posts on QQ. Now it seems like I should do what I do with SB and just keep Word open to use for longish posts.

Like SB the spell check function in the text box now randomly glitches or stops working. It never used to do it with the old versions and I always appreciated that when I made posts on QQ. Now it seems like I should do what I do with SB and just keep Word open to use for longish posts.
QQ does not have a spell-check, at least not in the default editor, and never has. Any spell-check you are getting is a product of your browser or phone, not QQ.

@alethiophile: There seems to be a distinct lack of feedback on the feedback. Can we get an update on what issues are being fixed, what you don't know how to or do not plan to fix, etc.?

QQ does not have a spell-check, at least not in the default editor, and never has. Any spell-check you are getting is a product of your browser or phone, not QQ.
Huh I didn't realize that firefox was the one doing that. I guess it just doesn't like XF2 for some reason

Is it possible to disable both the new posts lightning bolt in the upper right (between search and alerts) and on the home page? It's rather obtrusive, and also more than a bit useless.

If people want to see new posts in mobile they can click on the pop out sidebar, rather than clutter the basic UI.

I'm finding that links to QQ are causing ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS, especially if the link was made before the switch to XF2. Obviously I can still get here but external links aren't working for me. My best guess is it's trying to go to the old version of the site before being directed to the current version.

I'm finding that links to QQ are causing ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS, especially if the link was made before the switch to XF2. Obviously I can still get here but external links aren't working for me. My best guess is it's trying to go to the old version of the site before being directed to the current version.
Nope, XF2 just completely changed the link structure.

Is anyone else getting incorrect "numbers" on alerts?

That is, the blue number that appears over the bell icon when you have new alerts. Ever since the transition, it hardly ever matches the actual number of new alerts. Heck, even if it doesn't show a number at all, I still have to click open the bell to see whether there's a new alert or not - a lot of times, there is a new alert, even though there wasn't a blue number popup to grab my attention.

That is, the blue number that appears over the bell icon when you have new alerts. Ever since the transition, it hardly ever matches the actual number of new alerts. Heck, even if it doesn't show a number at all, I still have to click open the bell to see whether there's a new alert or not - a lot of times, there is a new alert, even though there wasn't a blue number popup to grab my attention.
Are they active alerts or past alerts? XF2 keeps a long history in the menu, but many of the themes don't distinguish between read and unread alerts very well. Click on Mark Read/Mark Unread to see how things change.

By default, threadmark alerts stay active until you go to the post, while mention/like alerts are marked as read as soon as you open the menu.

Are you going to one page and then hitting the back button? Because I've noticed that that will keep up the old number when you go back to the previous page unless you refresh. I think it's just part of the data caching from the browser.

I haven't had this issue, my method is:
1) refresh the tab with the main forum of QQ on it
2) look at the number over the bell icon
3) middle-mouse button to open the alerts in a new tab
4) middle-mouse open the pages giving an alert in their own new tab
5) close the Alerts tab and start reading the new pages

Badge number appears to be set when you load a page.

- This is a quick alert-count request sent as part of page loading.
- Alerts on that page can be removed from the list even if the badge number doesn't update, or can be removed before the number is generated. Seems random?
- Alerts which are sent after you load the page will appear when you mouse-over the icon, as a new request is sent to get the alert list which is separate from the alert-count request that happened on page load. The alert list is generated every time you mouse over, while the counter badge only updated once (on page load).

Badge number appears to be set when you load a page.

- This is a quick alert-count request sent as part of page loading.
- Alerts on that page can be removed from the list even if the badge number doesn't update, or can be removed before the number is generated. Seems random?
- Alerts which are sent after you load the page will appear when you mouse-over the icon, as a new request is sent to get the alert list which is separate from the alert-count request that happened on page load. The alert list is generated every time you mouse over, while the counter badge only updated once (on page load).

I always do a hard refresh of a page (Ctrl + F5) before checking alerts, even if there's a blue number icon. Does that count as loading the page?

And often times, after doing a hard refresh, it will still not show a blue number at all, but when I click the bell to open the drop-down menu, it will show one or more alerts I haven't seen before, and they are significantly more than a moment old (like minutes or even hours old sometimes). (But I can confirm that they are new to me, not just from my memory, but because the alert will show that it was "Read: A moment ago.")

If it matters, I rarely check alerts on their own alerts page, I just open the drop-down menu from the bell icon. I also tend to check (after first doing a hard refresh) on an existing thread page, rather than the main page. And I am using the Lightened theme.

Are they active alerts or past alerts? XF2 keeps a long history in the menu, but many of the themes don't distinguish between read and unread alerts very well. Click on Mark Read/Mark Unread to see how things change.

By default, threadmark alerts stay active until you go to the post, while mention/like alerts are marked as read as soon as you open the menu.

I use Lightened theme. I'm referring to new alerts, ones that I didn't read before and which are marked as "Read: A moment ago."

Are you going to one page and then hitting the back button? Because I've noticed that that will keep up the old number when you go back to the previous page unless you refresh. I think it's just part of the data caching from the browser.

Nah, I do hard refresh (Ctrl + F5) from whatever page I'm on (usually General CYOA thread's latest page).

I haven't had this issue, my method is:
1) refresh the tab with the main forum of QQ on it
2) look at the number over the bell icon
3) middle-mouse button to open the alerts in a new tab
4) middle-mouse open the pages giving an alert in their own new tab
5) close the Alerts tab and start reading the new pages

I do a hard refresh of whatever thread page I'm on. Then I open the alerts dropdown menu from the bell icon, and right-click > Open in new tab to go to other threads from the alerts.

I always do a hard refresh of a page (Ctrl + F5) before checking alerts, even if there's a blue number icon. Does that count as loading the page?

I don't know if that helps with the alert-count.

Your alert-count on the server might not update every page load, but the alerts shown should be updated at the time that you pull down the icon's menu.

I know they're separate fetch operations, but if you're assuming that reloading (or "hard reloading") the page forces a recalc, that's not necessarily related -- I don't think your hard reload is doing anything except stressing out the image proxy a bit.

I don't know if that helps with the alert-count.

Your alert-count on the server might not update every page load, but the alerts shown should be updated at the time that you pull down the icon's menu.

I know they're separate fetch operations, but if you're assuming that reloading (or "hard reloading") the page forces a recalc, that's not necessarily related -- I don't think your hard reload is doing anything except stressing out the image proxy a bit.

Then it's odd that it doesn't work for XF2, when in XF1 it worked fine. Hard refresh showed correct blue alert count on the bell before the upgrade.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not terribly fussed about the blue number being inaccurate per se - I'd just like for some blue number to be shown if there is in fact a new alert, instead of there potentially being new alerts despite absolutely no blue number being shown on the bell (i.e. what it looks like when you've looked at all your alerts). Basically, I can't tell at a glance whether or not I've got any new alerts if I can't trust a "blank" bell to actually not have any new alerts.

Last edited:
Then it's odd that it doesn't work for XF2, when in XF1 it worked fine. Hard refresh showed correct blue alert count on the bell before the upgrade.

XF2 is not internally the same as XF1, so yeah that might be a difference.

if I can't trust a "blank" bell to actually not have any new alerts.

I think you might be able to keep a tab open on your Alerts page and refresh that instead.

That should always be as fresh as the on-hover list.

I think you might be able to keep a tab open on your Alerts page and refresh that instead.
That's what I do but after the change over refreshing the page doesn't remove the new alerts symbol from the bell unless I also click the "mark read" button after and sometimes I still need another refresh.

Giphly media seems kinda bad:

Screen-Shot-2024-06-22-at-1-40-04-PM.jpg

Like I don't need an overlay showing two smaller copies of the gif I just watched, nor do I want to explore related gifs on a different site.

Would it be possible to load the target gif (via image proxy) instead of embedding a media area for them to control & track & whatever else they do?

One thing I noticed is that all my watched threads from before the switch no longer work. The only way I've found was to unwatch them watch it again

when you watch a thread is it possible to have default choice be without receiving email notifications instead of receiving email notifications

Just wondering, is that fusion of the SFW and NSFW forums planned to happen? (and NSFW only showing up when you're logged in. Was pretty impossible in xenforo 1, but I think it was said to be possible in 2? not sure)

Also, is there an ETA on when polls will be able to be deleted by the author of the thread? And having that "Voting happening" thing that SV has too.

Anyways, thanks for all the good work guys 👍

I tried posting a Youtube video but it came out more like a link rather than having the video just be on the thread.

Is there some way that I can post the video and just have it be played on the site rather than taking the one clicking directly to Youtube?

24050811023325673018402968.png
There are only three correct ones. :V
There are only three correct ones from before the upgrade to XF2. :V

24050811023325673018402968.png
@alethiophile Is this something that will be "fixed" or are we stuck with only the new smilies?
I know it's not the most important thing to do for the upgrade but I'd like to know if the old smilies will return later.
So I guess fixing this is just not gonna happen? 🤔

I tried posting a Youtube video but it came out more like a link rather than having the video just be on the thread.

Is there some way that I can post the video and just have it be played on the site rather than taking the one clicking directly to Youtube?

You want the media tag for that one. First option on the three dots in a horizontal line dropdown menu.

Not sure if it is everyone or just me, but today the website has been taking longer to lead, and sometimes it loads broken (if I had to describe it I would say the CSS was not loading properly) but works again when refreshing. Only tried on tablet so not sure if it's my device or the website.

Edit:
To clarify it's not every time I open the website, but when some time passes without loading anything it happens. And not always.

Also the slow loading and the broken CSS aren't always happening at the same time. It is usually just really slow.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back