• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

General chat thread

*Sits over here with a consistent rate of between 3 and 15 updates per week for almost a decade now*

Honestly? My way doesn't seem to be paying dividends, either.

Then, I keep writing what I want to write, rather than pandering, maybe that's my problem.

*Sits over here with a consistent rate of between 3 and 15 updates per week for almost a decade now*

Honestly? My way doesn't seem to be paying dividends, either.

Then, I keep writing what I want to write, rather than pandering, maybe that's my problem.
Yeah... not for like a decade though, but like same

I write stuff because it nags me

and yeah it would probably be nice to get money for it but ... I do this mostly for fun and to blow off steam.

So yeah Daytripper you gotta do you man.

So, my sister got a bunch of junk and one of the things in there we can't figure out what it's for.

The box is covered in... Chinese, I think. Could be Japanese. It rolls like a wall scroll, presumably it's supposed to be hung up. One side is some kind of hard plastic, seemingly the back, and the front is a thin rubber mesh. There aren't any designs on it... I think it's for hanging something on, probably, but I'm not sure what or how.

Here. Didn't want to unroll it all the way, but it's about six feet, and the bottom looks about the same.

Hmm... is the mesh connected to the plastic?

Because the more I look at it, the more I wonder if it's not meant to be a secondary mat cover. They sometimes use these for yoga. If, y'know, you're going to a studio or something. That way you're not exercising in someone else's sweat, or leaving your own behind.

Hmm... is the mesh connected to the plastic?

Because the more I look at it, the more I wonder if it's not meant to be a secondary mat cover. They sometimes use these for yoga. If, y'know, you're going to a studio or something. That way you're not exercising in someone else's sweat, or leaving your own behind.

It's only connected at the ends, so maybe? I think it's also connected at the bottom end, anyway. I'd think it's too thin to lay on, but maybe it's built with people smaller than me in mind?

Despite how much people get glued to phones and whatnot, I always think back to the times in my childhood where I would be bored and wish I had something like that to keep me occupied instead of telling mom that I want to go home and play Red Alert on the PC.

You know like maybe you get taken to some place where music you dislike is played and so you wish you could listen to something much better? I really wanted to listen to some hell march or transformers season 3 intro music back then especially during those moments when the barbie song was popular to be played in public during those birthday songs I sometimes get invited to.

Now it gets even more better when I can play total war on my phone or just listen to what I like.

Yeah, when it comes to writing the art in and of itself is what is important to me. Now make no mistake, I would love to be able to make money at it. But before I even try that, I need to prove to myself that I can deliver good content that while yes is a bit on the pandering side, is also something I can be proud of.

That and I need build the discipline to keep up with a schedule.

For now though, I write for my pleasure and because there is a story in my head I want to read and no one else is going to write it.

I usually write on Gdocs these days because I can get it on my phone and work on things at work without anyone being the wiser- with a bluetooth keyboard.

So I'm looking at a word I typed earlier "Dessicated" and it's got a red line under it- does here too, in fact. With no suggestions from spellcheck, which happens if you spell the word too wrong- so I try a little trick- replace one vowel you're not sure of- and sure enough, spellcheck now has a suggestion for "Dessicated"... which I click to change it to what it thinks is the proper spelling. Only for the red line to reappear as it still thinks it's spelled wrong. Firefox suggests "Desiccated" instead, is that right? Single S and double C seems a strange choice for spelling. Still, google telling me 'dessicated' is wrong, then giving it back to me as a correct spelling only to change its mind after is pretty funny.

I usually write on Gdocs these days because I can get it on my phone and work on things at work without anyone being the wiser- with a bluetooth keyboard.

So I'm looking at a word I typed earlier "Dessicated" and it's got a red line under it- does here too, in fact. With no suggestions from spellcheck, which happens if you spell the word too wrong- so I try a little trick- replace one vowel you're not sure of- and sure enough, spellcheck now has a suggestion for "Dessicated"... which I click to change it to what it thinks is the proper spelling. Only for the red line to reappear as it still thinks it's spelled wrong. Firefox suggests "Desiccated" instead, is that right? Single S and double C seems a strange choice for spelling. Still, google telling me 'dessicated' is wrong, then giving it back to me as a correct spelling only to change its mind after is pretty funny.
Out of curiosity I checked the word in Word and the dictionary both say Desiccated is correct.

Single S and double C seems a strange choice for spelling.
Because Latin.

Desiccate, and that is the correct spelling, is from 'siccus', which means 'dry', or 'siccare'- dry as a verb 'make dry'. With 'de' meaning something like 'very' or 'thorough', so the whole is 'make very dry'.

As opposed to the Old French 'de' as in 'do the opposite'.

As the word 'desecrate'- 'remove-sanctity'. And is close enough to desiccate for confusion to arise if you're not paying attention.

In Latin 'do the opposite' or 'remove' is 'dis'. Disinherit. Disembowel.

... Language is fucky enough when you're only using one one them. English is using at least five.

I've started SVS classes, which gives me a chance to focus on one story for this site for the time being, not counting the occasional snippet.

I just remembered the last words I ever heard my mother say. It was a couple of days before she died and she was walking back to her bedroom after dinnertime (I had cooked).

My dad was watching season 2 of Game of Thrones and mom looked at the screen as she passed by and said "That show really went to shit."

So as far as I'm concerned, my mother's last words were some offhand criticism of Game of Thrones.

I just remembered the last words I ever heard my mother say. It was a couple of days before she died and she was walking back to her bedroom after dinnertime (I had cooked).

My dad was watching season 2 of Game of Thrones and mom looked at the screen as she passed by and said "That show really went to shit."

So as far as I'm concerned, my mother's last words were some offhand criticism of Game of Thrones.
What a gigachad. Using her last words to shit on game of thrones is the most badass way she could have used her last words.

What a gigachad. Using her last words to shit on game of thrones is the most badass way she could have used her last words.
Well, I'm pretty sure she didn't know that was the last thing I'd hear from her. But it is a helluva note to leave this world on, that's for sure.

Well, I'm pretty sure she didn't know that was the last thing I'd hear from her. But it is a helluva note to leave this world on, that's for sure.
Was this post Season 8? Or beforehand? Because that can change a bit of the view, because while a fair assessment, dunking on GoT S8 is almost too easy.

Was this post Season 8? Or beforehand? Because that can change a bit of the view, because while a fair assessment, dunking on GoT S8 is almost too easy.
It was while Season 8 was in progress. Mom watched up to episode 3 when she got frustrated with the lighting halfway through the battle, literally said "Fuck this." and went to bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back