• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

I'm not getting emails from QQ

It's affecting those of us still on Yahoo as well.
And AOL, honestly it seems like it's on QQ's end and not the email provider cause I don't know how QQ would get blacklisted by every email provider within two days of each other.

Gotcha, seems like something on QQ's end then, with the majority of affected people being gmail users simply because gmail has such a huge marketshare lol

Fingers crossed that it can be fixed.

If so, that's probably good news, because it's something the admins can probably fix. (The other likely explanation would be that QQ had gotten added to a spam blacklist - the 'pretend this IP doesn't exist' kind, not Gmail's content-based send-to-spam-folder filter - which would be harder to get undone.)

It seems that this site is at least 2 spam blacklist:

So that may be what is making that the emails aren't being received.

If that is the case the admins of the site would need to make a reclamation with those list so the site is removed from their blacklist.

It's not just that, because if it was I'd be seeing it in my spam, but it's got nothing from QQ, and only ~20 things in it at all over the past month.

Some years ago in my work one of our domains was put in a blacklist. Gmail didn't even put the emails send by our server in the spam folder and directly reject them.

Having the same issue, no emails for around twenty four hours now and they didn't get filed into spam or anything. Looks like it's probably something on qq's end given the different emails all not working now, hopefully this gets cleared up without issue.

Same issue with me on Gmail, last alert was received on the 26th at 11:51 PM.

Yeah, got the same issue. Also using gmail.

At least it's nice to know that nothing is wrong on my end, and that something is broken on the site lol.

Current Email Issue
It seems the culprit of the current email issue is that someone else with the same Server Provider we are using is sending out spam- possibly multiple servers ("snowshoe spam"). As such, we got caught up in the blacklists.
We had long been battling email deliverability issues, it's likely that this was the case before and the cause of grief, but a recent uptick has seen more spamlists list the entire IP block our site is on.

alethiophile and I have been looking into alternatives for server hosting anyways, due to site growth and such- this is expediting our talks.

Unfortunately we don't have an immediate resolution at this time.

It seems the culprit of the current email issue is that someone else with the same Server Provider we are using is sending out spam- possibly multiple servers ("snowshoe spam"). As such, we got caught up in the blacklists.
We had long been battling email deliverability issues, it's likely that this was the case before and the cause of grief, but a recent uptick has seen more spamlists list the entire IP block our site is on.

alethiophile and I have been looking into alternatives for server hosting anyways, due to site growth and such- this is expediting our talks.

Thank you for the update and for all of your hard work! Even just knowing what the problem is helps to alleviate the stress despite it not being a quick fix.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to this thread and working on the problem even if it's not a quick fix, I'm sure I'm not the only one use this site to destress after a long day with reading fics and discussions. I also hope you and the rest of the Administration Team know how much your hard work is appreciated.

Thank you for the info.
  • Would it be possible to get them to unban just the specific IP in the block which our server is on?
  • havefeith has mentioned that they are still getting some email, e.g. when they change their registered email address, just not update alerts. Any idea why, and if so, can the fix be spread elsewhere?

Thanks for the update on this issue.
Good luck for the admin team, I'm sure it's not an easy thing to fix, especially if you want to completely change the servers running QQ. Thanks for your hard work !

Maybe it could be good to add a banner/notification for all users to raise awareness about this issue, pointing on the explanation threadmark ? I would have personally liked that when I was searching why I didn't receive my alert emails ;)

iCloud does not even get any email from admin email address. I tried to change to my iCloud address. No confirming email.

Thank you for the info.
  • Would it be possible to get them to unban just the specific IP in the block which our server is on?
  • havefeith has mentioned that they are still getting some email, e.g. when they change their registered email address, just not update alerts. Any idea why, and if so, can the fix be spread elsewhere?
Unfortunately we do not have control over these spam lists, nor do we have transparency into how they work (that would be counterproductive to their purpose, as it would allow spammers to know how to evade detection). The website for both Spamhaus' and for the other one (UCEPROTECTL3) specify they are automated- the latter says there's no appeal process, just that it would auto-delist after some time of no reports.
(That said, it seems we have come off of the UCEPROTECTL3 blacklist when I checked just now- I don't know what changed. That may be why some emails are coming through again.)

As for being intermittent- that is the behavior we have long since seen over the past few months- some users would get registration/MFA/email change emails, but we have had many new users who never receive them. With our incomplete picture, we can't say why some is getting through and other emails aren't.

I am not receiving new alerts on my email about new updates on the threads i am following despite haven't changed none of the settings in my account and i don't know what can i do to solve this. Could anyone help me please ?

I am not receiving new alerts on my email about new updates on the threads i am following despite haven't changed none of the settings in my account and i don't know what can i do to solve this. Could anyone help me please ?
Try looking here: https://forum.questionablequesting.com/threads/stopped-receiving-emails.23261/

tldr: someone(s) on the same server provider that QQ uses was spamming and got everyone on that set of servers on spam blacklists. QQ is trying change servers anyway, but otherwise can't do much at this time but wait until QQ is removed from the blacklists and/or change server provider.

For what's worth, I've changed my email from Gmail to Outlook and back to Gmail again to see if it fixed the issue. While it ultimately didn't I was able to receive emails regarding the changes to my account along with the confirmation email from the admin email address, however, I haven't been receiving any update emails to the stories/discussions I've subscribed to even though when I check some of the stories, I can clearly see multiple chapters have been published and I have turned on the follow function to receive notifications for OP posts.

From checking my Gmail history as well, I stopped receiving any update emails on July 27, 2023.

havefeith has mentioned that they are still getting some email, e.g. when they change their registered email address, just not update alerts. Any idea why, and if so, can the fix be spread elsewhere?

I get new thread e-mails, but Not getting alert e-mails. That's very interesting. Gmail as well.
Is there any way of resending all e-mails after problem fixed?

If there wasn't any log of e-mails, Maybe if it isn't too CPU intensive, create a macro to scan and resend alerts, everything beginning from Jun 13, 2023? That was the day it started.
Only some users are affected; without any way to know who was or wasn't, that would result in resending a huge number of emails to users that already got them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back