• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Because all of his constructs and orange light in general gets dispersed in a certain radius around her. Which means he can't brand her as far as I'm aware.
Those are construct.

But branding worked just fine on Melmoth, who had more protections, and was under an energy draining sun that should have sapped Paul's rings in nanoseconds.

Last edited:
I know the Sheeda are evil and all, but what does Harvesting actually do? They are from far in the future. They harvest what from the past? Resources? But given their evil and depraved alignment they can't do anything else than fight and raid and are insulted like this spear bitch was when Paul said resettlement and rebuilding their civilization could be an option.

The Sheeda don't harvest enough to actually stop, although that seems to be partially psychological/social as they don't want to stop. They want to be murderous Fair Folk.

And what does harvesting people do? They strip victims for parts or render them down or steal their souls to power their technology or what? Kid Flash told Paul he saw a video of the League hitting a Sheeda ship that had victims in it and was sick.

So the Sheeda harvest, but the past world always goes on not even noticing them as aggressors until the present point in the story where the Sheeda are kind of stuck in and can't or won't disengage so this might be all or nothing.

But then again, if all their tech in the future going by Grayven and Artemis in the last part saw, Sheeda tech is all biological biopunk. So people they capture are ground down to bone and flesh to be repurposed into Sheeda biotech? Kill them all.

So... Why doesn't Paul just end this instantly by branding her like he did Melmoth?
Melmoth wasn't expecting to be attacked, and certainly wasn't ready to fight a lantern. This opponent picked this fight on purpose, with equipment she deemed sufficient to the task. She's missing some crucial information, but she's at least properly prepared, as opposed to being ganked in her home.

"Our records show that Harold Jordan is Earth's greatest Lantern during this era. You are this era's greatest Lantern, therefore-"

"Thank you."

"-you are Harold Jordan."

This is getting kinda weird. They can tell that he's the best Lantern alive, possibly in the Universe, yet no one in the future remembers him? Even Brainiac V didn't recognize him - he established a whole Corps that sends Lanterns to every part of the Universe, and is recruiting from other Universes. Why doesn't anyone remember him? I'd remember a demigod wielding the power of avarice itself that established a Corps full of people wielding avarice powers than say, Batman, who, while influential, was ultimately a guy in a bat costume.

LA MAGOS DEL TIEMPOOOOOOOOO

Also OL's Time-traveling diagnoses seems a little premature. I think some kind of exotic weapon that can project other versions of it's self would also fit everything he has observed so far. It does violate conservation of powers though, so it could go either way.

Or something that manipulates cause and effect.

26th June 2012
18:47 GMT

"Do not lie to me, human scum!"

"Former test pilot Harold Jordan is older than me-" By roughly six years. "-and American. I'm of British origin. You can tell the difference by comparing our accents. What colour Lantern do you think Harold Jordan is?"
To be honest, I doubt she'd know the difference between accents, unless they've been studying local data in that much detail. And going by her approach, they haven't.

"Colour-? He's a Lantern."

"Until a little under two years ago the only Lanterns operating on Earth were green. I -obviously- am orange. If you believe Harold Jordan to be a Lantern then presumably you know which colour."
Heh. They know about Lanterns, but not that they come in different colours? Evidently someone in their intelligence division screwed the pooch on this. When their boss hears about this, they'll be the ones getting screwed. :p

There's a very definite pause.

"Our records show that Harold Jordan is Earth's greatest Lantern during this era. You are this era's greatest Lantern, therefore-"
Well, nice of her to say so. But if their intel is that good, surely it would include names? I'm betting the intelligence division is just someone popping back briefly, grabbing a few newspapers and bouncing home.

"Thank you."

Oh, boy, is she thick... Single-minded to the point of stupidity.

I let out a quiet chuck-

"Do not dareto laugh at me!"

-le.
To be honest, it's hard not to. I mean, that outfit? Assuming it's baring cleavage, that's a big old guide for any piercing weapon, right into her heart.

"No, no… These things happen." I exhale quietly. "Do you want me to… Get another Lantern? I'd hate for you to have wasted your-"

There's a spear in my chest.

"-time..."

Well, diplomacy has failed. Time to step up and lay the smack down.

That looks bad. I extend filaments to assimilate it, only for it to vanish is a swirl of green.

The spear Aeres is holding hasn't left her hand. She didn't move to throw it or lunge with it. Another Sheeda under some sort of invisibility ward? Possible, but my ring is monitoring local air currents which should give me warning if someone tries that. My spell eater is still at zero usage. Not sure, but a small hole in my chest isn't much of a problem these days.
Either she's really, really quick, or there's something more going on.

The only unfortunate thing is that I can't see any focused 'spear Orange Lantern' desire in the Honden. Or any duty-related impulse that appears to have that as an obvious consequence. Some members of the League of Shadows have desires that feel a little like that, but the spear wasn't their usual weapon of choice.

"Do you fear me now?"
Bitch, please. He's...

"Six months ago an angel shoved a burning sword through my skull, while I was in hell and defended by an army of demons. I'm sorry, but no matter what you do you're not going to get the emotional reaction you're looking for."

"Through your skull?"
...Had that happen. Seriously, poking holes in him isn't going to do much, unless you somehow hit a ring. And even then, he has spares.

"I got better. Look, if you can't identify me correctly, does it not logically follow that you might-?"

I blink and she's lunging, forcing me to transition aside! Her weapons glows green for a moment and then vanishes as she raises her hands, runes flicking into being-.
...Seriously? Retroactive attacking? So, she stabbed at him, and it goes back in time, where she's seen him standing. That's... Honestly clever.

I fire an energy pulse just to check-. Yes, immune to constructs, but my railgun construct has formed and I fire a mage slayer-.

Her spear reappears is a green flicker and she cuts my round in half-.
She's fast, certainly. Unless it's some automatic defensive instinct. Or maybe she's a little out of sync, and could see where it went before he'd even loaded?

Temporal manipulation. She can stab backwards in time. The colour matches the goo Melmoth was using. Presumable she has a limited quantity with her, which means that any stab that doesn't kill me is a wasted shot. A hit to my brain might kill me, but I just told her that it didn't keep me head. The only way for her to disable me would be to cut off all three of my rings and if she wanted to kill me then she'd have to follow up immediately.
And I'm assuming at least one ring is still tucked inside his body? Just as a precaution, in case of unhanding.

Alright then.

I manipulate light without creating a laser construct, sending rays of orange light at her. Her spear blurs -darn, no green glow- as she turns them aside, the relatively weak rays heading towards the sky above or the ground below. I don't think she's actually moving at super speed, she's just got some sort of super-enhanced reflexes and accuracy. Fine. This time I create lasers, moving them to surround-.
Don't get too bogged down in poking her, OL. You have other things to be doing than playing 'poke the curiosity'.

Three of my filaments are severed by a green glowing spear while her weapon remains in her hands. I generate more lasers to replace them in an attempt to force her future self to leave it in the past for longer while I fire the ones she's not disrupting at her. She twists, spear turning aside some shots while she physically evades others, future-spear ensuring that she always has an escape.

Remove oxygen.
Have to wonder if the weapon's temporal displacement is fixed-duration or not. Does it stab exactly X seconds ago? How long does it remain deployed? I mean, If nothing else, this will be interesting data to present to Doctor Sivana senior.

A wave of orange passes through the air, oxygen molecules vanishing as they pass. Aeres doesn't react to my action, instead lunging at me once again. No obvious supply of air in her armour, and I don't know Sheeda runes well enough to know which ones are doing the job. Alright, lack of air's clearly not a problem and there goes the spear.
Some manner of sustenance effect, presumably. Her body's probably built to recycle oxygen inside her lungs, for a limited time at least.

I send out a wave of orange, transmuting nitrogen gas into phosphorus. With no oxygen present it doesn't ignite immediately, and she appears to ignore my effort in favour of manoeuvring to get into position to sent her spear into the past. Is she only capable of sending it back for a limited amount of time? What happens if she doesn't? I'll monit-

Warning! Spell eater temperature increasing.

-or.
That would be interesting. Does it force itself to activate, whether she'd want it to or not, if she's aware of it making a thrust? Because choosing not to (or being prevented from doing so) would cause a temporal paradox, if it has a fixed span it operates in.

I throw out a network of orange strands and return the oxygen. Flame engulfs me to no effect: the hot as burning phosphorus my construct armour and my power armour and designed to take much hotter attacks than this. I momentarily can't see what's happened to her, though-. That gives me an idea. It's a bit primitive, but given that my tattoos should be obscuring-

The spear hits me in the left thigh, and it's gone before I can grab it.
Evidently she waited until she could see him clearly before thrusting. I'm impressed she wasn't bothered by the fire, though.

-me from her magic, just-. Heal, using hologram decoys might work.

I take three projector drones out of subspace as the phosphorus burns out, my outline shuddering as three of me go in different directions. Actual me goes invisible, the orange strands linking the three of them happening to pass through the volume of space containing me.
Heh. And it'll give you a good deal of data on how her spear works. If she stabs one, you know she'll have to aim at that one, and can try to interfere.

Aeres doesn't seem to have been unduly bothered by the heat, parrying a hopeful volley of laser beams before flying-. The spear disappears and she fades from view.

But I'm still watching the air currents in minute detail, and monitoring where she'll have to go to make her temporal thrusts. This time the construct laser is broad enough that she shouldn't be able to parry it. Not if her parry ability works like I think it does.
And if she does? Even more data for the analysis.

And there and fire!

A flash of green and-. I hit her while her spear was in the past. She flickers back into visibility, a few very slight signs of damage visible on her armour.
Ah, hitstun. The bane of many a boss fight. For both sides, too.

And electrolaser.

Lightning flashes and… Arcs around her as her spear reappears. Alright, I suppose that electricity is something she would probably be warded against.
Damn elemental immunities...

Left hologram gets a time travelling spear through the head, and the decoy correctly displays what would happen if that happened to me. It stills in the air, and I stop projecting orange light to allow all four of us to play possum.

So that's a 'no' to electricity, heat, oxygen depravation and light. Next are cold, kinetic damage and gravity.
Heh. Checking off weaknesses. Too bad she's resistant to direct scanning effects. No 'Libra' for you. I suppose the encounter features randomising code, so no checking a playguide...

Drone 2 goes into contingency mode, creating a hologram orange spear and charging while I remove a stealthed cold gun from my equipment harness. Aeres moves her spear to a 'guard' position while the distraction swiped at her head, the third drone switches to light-chaff generation and I take a shot-.

Which a spear appears from the future to parry.

Okay, next thing.
Shoulda gone with a wider beam. or laid a trap field, like Captain Cold loved to. Though that does take a bit more skill than OL might have.

Honestly, this does feel like some scripted boss fight. No dealing damage unless you follow exactly the right pattern to trick the mob into exposing a weakness. I suppose he's enjoying himself figuring out this puzzle. After all, it could easily have been Lantern Stewart or Savenlovich facing her, which sounds a much worse match. Just hope he can keep in mind that he's on the clock.

This is getting kinda weird. They can tell that he's the best Lantern alive, possibly in the Universe, yet no one in the future remembers him? Even Brainiac V didn't recognize him - he established a whole Corps that sends Lanterns to every part of the Universe, and is recruiting from other Universes. Why doesn't anyone remember him? I'd remember a demigod wielding the power of avarice itself that established a Corps full of people wielding avarice powers than say, Batman, who, while influential, was ultimately a guy in a bat costume.

I think they don't recognize him because they come from a timeline where he didn't exist, so most likely the original canon if he never showed up.

Because the current future is still unwritten, the future they are interacting is the OG future without him, the future of an alternate reality.

Oh, boy, is she thick... Single-minded to the point of stupidity.
I think it's because she was literally created for this purpose. So she's having difficulties even thinking that her entire purpose for existing is false. As such, she'll try to twist everything to fit what she was created to "know" and believe. Maybe Paul should see if he can completely break down her world view and then build it back up to something useful? He could also do that to Beulah after showing her that angels aren't all they're cracked up to be.

Remember she's not exactly an innocent person and has most likely participated in the genocide of other civilizations and species when the Sheeda Harrowed the past.

Though the Team does have Canis, who has done far, far worst things.

But seriously, there's nothing wrong with that sentence.

Except when you read the sentence it just feels wrong and that there might be something missing.

Ok, this is a very fun fight :) Last time OL had an opponent this interesting was back on that anti-Reach conference with that supersayanqwardian dude.

"Thank you."

I dunno why the other posters complain. Her logic is impeccable :D

Temporal manipulation. She can stab backwards in time.

Gáe Bolg! "That attack rewrites causality!"

I manipulate light without creating a laser construct

Why would it matter whether you use a construct laser or an actual physical laser? Wouldn't the end result is the same: an actual laser beam.

I know the Sheeda are evil and all, but what does Harvesting actually do? They are from far in the future. They harvest what from the past? Resources?

I asked this exact question while Grayven and Arty were still playing CK2 in the Bad End future. Namely, if Vampire Sun just corrodes all non-living stuff in moments of exposure forcing the Sheeda to seemingly use nothing but magic biotech, then what was the point of going to the Past to play Viking?

If I recall correctly the answer was 'they snatch people and turn them into more magic biotech'. So the answer is 'yes'. They harvest 'resources'. Human resources to be more specific.

He could also do that to Beulah after showing her that angels aren't all they're cracked up to be.

I... honestly don't think Beulah would give a shit no matter what she witnessed. She's a zealot - there's nothing more to it. And even if she did give a shit she could always rationalise it as a) a trick played by that heathen abomination or b) an outlier/traitor to the Host ("No true Scotsman Angel would do such a thing.").

Last edited:
I... honestly don't think Beulah would give a shit no matter what she witnessed. She's a zealot - there's nothing more to it. And even if she did give a shit she could always rationalise it as a) a trick played by that heathen abomination or b) an outlier/traitor to the Host ("No true Scotsman Angel would do such a thing.").
He was eventually able to get through to Overgirl, though that did require her meeting a version of herself who was happy in a reality where the Nazis lost. I just want to see him get through to a zealot and have the zealot change and grow as a person like Overgirl has. Also, she might be an interesting addition to the Team.

Remember she's not exactly an innocent person and has most likely participated in the genocide of other civilizations and species when the Sheeda Harrowed the past.

Though the Team does have Canis, who has done far, far worst things.

I mean, setting aside OL's long record of working with and recruiting villains beyond Canis (hell, he was still offering to relocate the Sheeda to an empty planet here) I'd say that what we know about how the Sheeda produce units could suggest that this is her first Harrowing. No need to waste biomass on an anti-Lantern specc'd unit when you're Harrowing a time period that doesn't have a Lantern afterall.

I just want to see him get through to a zealot and have the zealot change and grow as a person like Overgirl has.

I'm still trying to repress that entire plotline (it's mostly working) - because RL racists people generally don't work like that. As for OL breaking and remaking zealots in general (without using Orange light to just rewire them directly)... OL's talk-no-jutsu is good but not Naruto good. Basically, it may not be strictly speaking impossible but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Last edited:
Also, she might be an interesting addition to the Team.

Well it wouldn't be the first time they recruited someone that's much, much older than a teenager.

Overgirl is in her late thirties.

Ghia'ta and Canis we don't know how old they are, but it could be centuries.

M'gann is in her late forties, but she's still a teenager.

Paul is thirty, though they don't know that.

Loriel has the mind of someone that could be older than the planet Earth.

I'm still trying to repress that entire plotline (it's mostly working) - because RL people generally don't work like that

It depends on the person, and showing people things that contradict what they were taught and which go against their beliefs can work.

Plus she was raised by someone that already had doubts about the whole Nazi thing so OL didn't have to do all the work.

OL, look out! Something tells me that Sheeda's trouble and never wins fights!

Now all we need is some Sheeda to start saying some limericks and all will be perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back