• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

"Daciya!" Thaddeus smiles arrogantly as purple light plays over the ripped flesh of his right arm. "Would you like to borrow my healing device? Just my little way of thanking you for being a good sport."

Really hoping he gets his ass handed to him.

"I'm heading to Karax soon, and it would be helpful to me if you'd come along to show me around. Clarissi Dox has informed me that he doesn't need you for anything. Do you have any of your own business you need to take care of? Or is there some reason why you can't go home?"

"No, Great.. Master. I… Can go home."

So he's from Karax.

Thought that due to Karax being a Lanterism practicing planet that Source worship wasn't a thing.

Though I guess it's possible it's just a small following.

"It-. I…" He takes a moment to collect himself. "Source worshippers are a minority on Karax,

Yep.

The monastery I was part,

'a part of'

"I… No. For anyone from Karax, we all see taking up a ring as a great honour. And I do regard the Source as the ultimate origin of the universe and all order within it. But while what I am doing here is in theory perfectly within the tenets of our religion, this is the first time this particular thing has happened to one of us. I am an irregularity."

So he's either the first Karaxian that got a ring, or there were others but he got the first orange ring.

Well, we'll have plenty of time to discuss this on the journey.

Philosophical talks.

Paul's favorite pass time.

"On Earth, there's a television series called Dragonball Z. One of the characters by the name of Vegita was born with the second greatest amount of raw spiritual power of any member of his species, second only to his father. For years he coasted on that, and then he ran into a chap called Goku. Goku started weak, but worked extremely hard to get stronger. When they fought, Goku won. It was close, but it was a definite win. That lit a fire under Vegita to copy Goku's work ethic. For the rest of their lives the constant presence of Goku made Vegita obsessed with getting stronger, with always improving himself."
That should say 'Vegeta'.

Is there a reason why Vegita is the spelling or is this a Saiyan language thing that I'm too distant from the fandom to understand? Have I been incorrectly using Vegetable puns all this time?
No, Vegeta is correct. Mr Zoat just misspelled it.

Hmm, you seem to be right. Mr Zoat can you say a few words to the crowd, please. The spell checkers want an answer.
Oh yeah, I found that thread I was asking about a long time ago so thanks, and I couldn't find it because using a smartphone means some features are removed for extra space.

Last edited:
26th August 2012
18:14 GMT

Daciya waves away the arena's medics, preferring to hobble back towards her workshop-

"Daciya!" Thaddeus smiles arrogantly as purple light plays over the ripped flesh of his right arm. "Would you like to borrow my healing device? Just my little way of thanking you for being a good sport."
Huh. Looks like the rest of the match went poorly. Though it seems Daciya gave as good as she got. No doubt being defeated by an alien will give her some desire to improve her skills. Especially if Tad keeps being an arse of a bad winner like that...

-under her own power. Thaddeus's frame has seen better days, but there's no real doubt as to who the winner was.

Kalmin considers the scene.

"I'm sure there is some reason why you and he are letting her live. Explain it."
Because killing her for losing a simple training bout is a waste of the resources used to train her? After all, won't she be more interested in learning now she's seen how limited her skills are?

"On Earth, there's a television series called Dragonball Z. One of the characters by the name of Vegita was born with the second greatest amount of raw spiritual power of any member of his species, second only to his father. For years he coasted on that, and then he ran into a chap called Goku. Goku started weak, but worked extremely hard to get stronger. When they fought, Goku won. It was close, but it was a definite win. That lit a fire under Vegita to copy Goku's work ethic. For the rest of their lives the constant presence of Goku made Vegita obsessed with getting stronger, with always improving himself."
Not mentioned: the fact that cycle of training and improvement resulted in both of them becoming more powerful than nearly every god in their universe. Not that most DB-verse gods are fighters, given the decidedly Eastern bureaucratic nature of their celestial circles.

"I just apply electrodes. I find pain and the threat of death to be efficacious motivational tools."

I shake my head.
And that's why you're not so large a threat as you think you are. Sometimes the carrot gets better results than the stick.

"You're a Weaponer at the height of his powers. Thaddeus is roughly her age. He's had better equipment for most of his career, but she's clearly more physically able and… Qward is far more advanced than Earth."

"You think that she will focus her efforts on besting him." He nods. "If he were q'ardajin I would approve. As it is, I suppose it could be a useful data point."
After all, are you not running a great experiment to see if the quality of their training can improve the quality of the Weaponer?

"Besides, they weren't, were they? Efficacious, I mean. That's why you're bothering to teach the remedial students."

"Actually, I'm teaching them because the system was too corrupt for me to have any confidence in their designation. Though I do want to be clear: you are not planning on… Breeding them, as you are with the human female and the Coluan, are you?"
...Not intentionally, no. Despite what the thread might want. And I doubt Georgia and Vril's relationship is quite at that point either...

"That was more a case of taking advantage of their instincts to encourage them to act in a more useful fashion. Dox's father made him paranoid and untrusting. For him, that was useful because in reduced the chance that Dox would try and escape his laboratory. For me, it makes it harder for him to work with the rest of N.E.M.O. and that's not helpful."

"What do you intend for the male human to get out of this 'rivalry'?"
Again, the carrot and the stick. Reward or punishment. Which do you think most would prefer, Kalmin?
"Bah, foolish weakness."

"Hopefully, Daciya wins the next one and he gets the same encouragement she just received. Failing that, he gains confidence in his interactions with people and becomes a little more social."

BOOM!

I look around as Georgia walks through the portal in the middle of the arena, her brother taking a moment to strike a pose.
Before anyone asks, Dox does have his ersatz Boom Tube system. Of course he'd want to give her a lift to congratulate her brother.

"Congratulate me, Georgia. I am triumphant."

"Is that really important?"
"Honestly, Boys..." Still, I can only assume he's happy he got to try out many of his weapons systems outside of laboratory conditions. Certainly, it'd hard to know if a weapon with, say, a five-second setup is a liability in a fight until you've tried to use it.

"Is field testing important?! What do you think we've been doing since we left school?!"

Inwardly, I sigh.
The rematch, and a hopeful drubbing, cannot come soon enough.

"I'm sure that Daciya will want a rematch, but make sure that she's got something new to bring to the table."

Kalmin glowers through his helmet's eyeslits.
"I may be growing hard of hearing, Illustres. That sounded like you were giving me an order."

"Do not presume to give me orders."

"I wasn't trying to give you an order; I was giving you advice on the assumption that our goal here is the same." He appears to be willing to let that go. "How will you handle Daciya?"
Well, at least he's taking the suggestion as intended. I suspect his idea of 'handling' might involve scourges, though.

"Handle? This is a test for her as much as any practical examination. If this duel had taken place on Qward she would be dead now. We shall see if the effect on her is what you desired."

I nod, and-. Ah, good, he's here. "Excuse me."
Ah, Kalmin... You old omnicidal curmudgeon... Have some faith, would you?

Kalmin turns and trudges towards the closest exit, while I fly into the stands and land close to Lantern Onik. And a few of his associates.

"Lantern Onik, a moment of your time."

He takes a moment to check that I'm actually talking to him, then cautiously approaches me.
He does know OL wants him for this trip, doesn't he? Or was he simply not expecting to see OL before the expected departure date?

"Yes, Great Master?"

"I'm heading to Karax soon, and it would be helpful to me if you'd come along to show me around. Clarissi Dox has informed me that he doesn't need you for anything. Do you have any of your own business you need to take care of? Or is there some reason why you can't go home?"
Heh. I wonder if Onik was looking forwards to a couple of days' furlough with his buddies. Or maybe a few days to meditate and reflect on his blessings.

"No, Great.. Master. I… Can go home."

"Any reason why you might not want to go home?"
The apparent suddenness of this impromptu trip, maybe?

"It-. I…" He takes a moment to collect himself. "Source worshippers are a minority on Karax, and… Compared to other Source-worshipping religions, my… The monastery I was part, our practice was far closer to Lanternism than other Source-focused faiths."

"Have you made yourself an apostate?"
I can't help but hear that question in a cheerful tone. Like, "Oh, you..."

"I… No. For anyone from Karax, we all see taking up a ring as a great honour. And I do regard the Source as the ultimate origin of the universe and all order within it. But while what I am doing here is in theory perfectly within the tenets of our religion, this is the first time this particular thing has happened to one of us. I am an irregularity."

"Do you object to coming back?"
I'm guessing that there still aren't a lot of Karaxian Green Lanterns in their history, though. Likely because their strong faith makes them less willful.

"No. Now that I have a better understanding of how the emotional spectrum actually works and the place of the orange light in it, it is far easier for me to justify my decision." He smiles faintly. "When Clarissi Dox first offered me a ring, accepting it was… Something of a leap of faith."

"I can imagine."
Probably on the level of being asked to become a living saint.

"I… Have been reassured by you policy of collegiality. Ah. If that helps."

"In what way?"
I mean, he does try to avoid antagonising the Green Lanterns... :p Key word being try.

He removes a… Paper copy of my book from a pouch, and opens it to a page about two thirds of the way through.

"'No one part of the whole is complete by itself.' You wrote that about the colours of the spectrum. Before you, I didn't even know what the other colours were. My denomination believes that the green light is a manifestation of the Source, but… We also believe that there must be others. And now we know that there are!"
Likely a well-thumbed copy, I'll bet. Though that idea does ironically owe something to the post-flashpoint storylines of the Lantern titles, which equated the White Light with the Source itself... :confused:

"That's not exactly… I mean, you're making a bit of a leap between healthy psychology and a significantly distinct part of the Source."

"My last leap went well."
<pointing Morgan Freeman.jpg> ...He has a point. And given the psychological requirements for using the White Light, it honestly fits well.

"Right, but…" Oh. I didn't actually put much in there about Apokolips or New Genesis, and the New Gods in general. And I think we're still keeping the white light under wraps. "Well, we'll have plenty of time to discuss this on the journey. Please make whatever preparations you need to be away from Maltus for an indefinite period of time."

He bows.

"At once, Great Master."
I can see Onik being conflicted about the New Gods in general. Sure, they're Source-empowered races, but not particularly religiously inclined for the most part, outside of Apokolips' Darkseid-driven monomania. Though New Genesis seems to be a little arrogant in that way too...

He steps back and then flies from the arena at considerable speed. I raise my right hand to my forehead

and
Of course, you know he's going to be taking this way too seriously.

Oh, this promises to be amusing, seeing Onik's gilded view of OL being worn away by feet of clay. Because you know OL will be himself... Let's just hope he doesn't give him a crisis of faith to rival Brutha. Whatever happens, I suspect all Karax will be in for a shock...
(On the topic of 'Dragon Ball' name spelling: Japanese has a funny way of having multiple ways to spell words, making translations particularly difficult, especially where puns are involved. One source might have spelled it with an 'e', others with an 'i', due to the adaption of vowel sounds...)

...how the emotional spectrum actually works...
Double space.

Not mentioned: the fact that cycle of training and improvement resulted in both of them becoming more powerful than nearly every god in their universe. Not that most DB-verse gods are fighters, given the decidedly Eastern bureaucratic nature of their celestial circles.

Though Gods of Destruction and Angels can still wipe the floor with them.

Before anyone asks, Dox does have his ersatz Boom Tube system. Of course he'd want to give her a lift to congratulate her brother.

Or so she could view him getting the crap kicked out of him.

Ah, Kalmin... You old omnicidal curmudgeon... Have some faith, would you?

We know he's capable of hope, but it's probably not all that easy.

I can't help but hear that question in a cheerful tone. Like, "Oh, you..."

Maybe Paul can help him, seeing as he's technically one himself.

He insults Jehovah, he's fought against Angels, he worships pagan gods, he's helped demons, he's been a demon, his soul is made of a substance that is viewed as a sin by a lot of religions, he's a snake guy that once convinced an Angel to eat from a fruit that God forbid to be eaten.

Likely a well-thumbed copy, I'll bet. Though that idea does ironically owe something to the post-flashpoint storylines of the Lantern titles, which equated the White Light with the Source itself... :confused:

Highfather was basically interested in using the White Light to fight the Anti-Life Equation.

And it does make sense, the White Light is basically all emotions combined, so it could work against something that drains emotions.

Renegade actually used some of the lights to help with his AL Equation situation.

I can see Onik being conflicted about the New Gods in general. Sure, they're Source-empowered races, but not particularly religiously inclined for the most part, outside of Apokolips' Darkseid-driven monomania. Though New Genesis seems to be a little arrogant in that way too...

New Genesians have been stated to be more faithful than Apokaluptians.

They may view Highfather as being something like the Pope, that being a very high figure in their religion, but still not the ultimate one, which is the Source.

Apokaliptians consider Darkseid to be the highest figure.

Last edited:
That should say 'Vegeta'.
Thank you, corrected.
I'm guessing that there still aren't a lot of Karaxian Green Lanterns in their history, though. Likely because their strong faith makes them less willful.
Oh gosh no. It's not unusual for both their Sector's Lanterns to be from there.

So what colour Paul got dumped in the DBZ universe, and at what era?

Oh gosh no. It's not unusual for both their Sector's Lanterns to be from there.
I looked up Karax on the DC wiki. There wasn't any information on the planet itself, but there is a Green Lantern from that planet: Graf Toren. Are we going to meet him during the visit? If yes, will this result in a theological debate about the Emotional Spectrum?

"I… Have been reassured by your policy of collegiality. Ah. If that helps."

"In what way?"

He removes a… Paper copy of my book from a pouch, and opens it to a page about two thirds of the way through.

"'No one part of the whole is complete by itself.' You wrote that about the colours of the spectrum. Before you, I didn't even know what the other colours were. My denomination believes that the green light is a manifestation of the Source, but… We also believe that there must be others. And now we know that there are!"

There are possible long-term implications and shake-ups for this kind of knowledge getting more widespread; I'm assuming the GLC and Guardians have access to Paragon's text by some means (Guy could simply ask for one). What are the Guardians' thoughts on it (I imagine there are multiple opinions) as well as Green Lanterns? Or is the text restricted/classified in some way?
I forget if it has a name, but I feel like the Book of Maltus (the initial possibility that comes to mind) sounds both inaccurate and doesn't convey Paragon's background as an Earth-based human. Maybe the Book of Ophidian or something.

"On Earth, there's a television series called Dragonball Z. One of the characters by the name of Vegeta was born with the second greatest amount of raw spiritual power of any member of his species, second only to his father. For years he coasted on that, and then he ran into a chap called Goku. Goku started weak, but worked extremely hard to get stronger. When they fought, Goku won. It was close, but it was a definite win. That lit a fire under Vegeta to copy Goku's work ethic. For the rest of their lives the constant presence of Goku made Vegeta obsessed with getting stronger, with always improving himself."

Just once I want the SI to drop one of these little stories-based-off-a-television-show and have the person he's talking to blink and reply, "You realize that's a work of fiction, right? Characters react the way they do because the writer thinks that will make a good story. You can't try to emulate a fictional work and expect that the results are going to hold up in the real world."

It's a power fantasy about the SI kicking ass all over the DC universe, and somehow the parts where he literally gives people advice based off a television show he saw rather than quoting actual works of philosophy, ethics, or tactics are still the most cringe.

Highfather was basically interested in using the White Light to fight the Anti-Life Equation.

And it does make sense, the White Light is basically all emotions combined, so it could work against something that drains emotions.

Yes, but the Speed Force also removes the influence of Anti-Life. I've no idea if the other Forces can as well, but I'd assume that the Sage would. I could make an argument for Strength, though I'd think that the Still Force would be more akin to Anti-Life.

Here's a list of episodes where you can find the alternative settings or lanterns so you don't have to sift through the threadmarks. Note that the list is still incomplete.

Hey, I saw your post about the various alternates and I noticed you were missing some of the chapters they showed up in.

Here are the missing chapters I managed to find featuring Red Lantern.

3rd January 2005
21:34 GMT -5

12th August 1997
23:29 GMT -7

12th August 1997
23:33 GMT -7

And now I've got to deal
With this shit

16th May 2011
11:44 GMT -5

17th May 2011
03:04 GMT

I'll make some other posts when I find the other chapters featuring the other versions.

Yes, but the Speed Force also removes the influence of Anti-Life. I've no idea if the other Forces can as well, but I'd assume that the Sage would. I could make an argument for Strength, though I'd think that the Still Force would be more akin to Anti-Life.
Isn't the Still Force part of Crisis Energy? It'd make sense that it got along with Anti-Life, while the other Seven Forces of Anti-Crisis Energy opposed it.

Isn't the Still Force part of Crisis Energy? It'd make sense that it got along with Anti-Life, while the other Seven Forces of Anti-Crisis Energy opposed it.

It's a N52 thing, so it won't happen here, anyway. I was just pointing out that the Speed Force does counteract it, because all the Forces are incredibly broken powers. I've no idea if the Speed Force counteracting it was a N52 thing or not, though.

And I just realized why he has been unable to actually teach everyone else his tricks...

They all rely on human psychological understanding. And none of the people he is trying to train are human.
This was actually very shortly touched upon way back, but Paul has also several times mentioned his experience might not be applicable for anyone else.

Medidiction (part 5)
26th August 2012
18:27 GMT

step out and…

Back, appearing just behind Lantern Dul and blocking her immediate plasma shot with a construct barrier…

Training arena, combat ro-

I activate my armour's phasing system and fly over to the observer area as she cleaves a flying.. skeleton robot with her axe.

-bots, probably using Nth metal so could in theory be a threat. I phase back in surrounded by armed Thanagarian soldiers, and… I think that one's a Raven, the Double Oh agents of the Thanagarian government.

"Good evening, everyone."

Hands don't drift towards weapons, because being Thanagarian they never left them. But they're not pointing them at me any more than they were anyway.

"Illustres!" A Thanagarian with the Arena Master's insignia nods at me. "You can join in the session if you want, but we generally call it rude if you jump in without the permission of whoever actually booked the session."

"Yeah, sorry."

"No need to apologise to me. Your problem if you get hit, by the robots or by Paran Dul. Just remember that we don't know much about human medicine, so don't come crying to me if your arm gets stuck back on in the wrong place!"

"An entirely reasonable point. Is she-"

Lantern Dul shoulder-charges a robot, hitting it and using it to soak shots from a nearby turret, casting it aside once she's within axe range.

"-likely to be long?"

"Shouldn't think so. It's a standard course. Mostly I think she's just doing this because it's the only time she can fly with her own wings."

"It is?"

He wing-shrugs. "She's the only Lantern Thanagar's had in a long time. We've got plenty of soldiers who can do-" He points to where Lantern Dul is swooping in and cutting the legs off a large spider-like robot. "-that, but no others with power rings. So the High Council want her to be as good as she can possibly be."

"That's nice? But I don't think that the High Council understand how motivating Orange Lanterns works."

"What makes you say that? They get all the intelligence reports. I'm just the schmoe who's going to have to rebuild all of this-"

The large robot fails to draw a bead on Lantern Dul as she swoops hither and thither before finally slashing into its main torso with her axe.

"-once she's finished. Hey Dul! It's meant to be a speed and agility test!"

Lantern Dul flies over a line and there's a beep, the few surviving automata going inactive.

"Seemed pretty fast to me, Deruoh!"

She looks up, making eye contact with me. I smile and wave my right hand at her. She doesn't smile back, but pulls her power ring out of a pouch and puts it on before flying up to us.

"Illustres."

"Lantern Dul. Are you busy?"

"What's left of the Seven Devil Cults are in prison or in hiding. If you have orders for me, there's nothing holding me here."

I frown. "That's a sad thing to say about your homeworld."

"I mean in terms of my work for the Corps."

"Okay. In that case your new orders are to accompany me to Karax. I've selected you to take part in an experiment in Lantern training."

"What sort of experiment?"

"The Clarissi and I have decided that it's a good time to see if I can teach other Lanterns to do what I do, and you're one of the three I've selected for the first class. So we're off to Karax, and given that it's quite a bit further from Thanagar than from Maltus, I'll be conveying you myself."

"Karax. Why?"

"I'm pretty good with my ring, but I don't actually have a lot of experience as a teacher. Karax-."

Her eyes flicker with orange light as her ring feeds her the information. "They worship Green Lanterns."

"And keep records on them. I'm hoping we'll all learn something."

"I can be ready within an hour. Who else is coming?"

"Lantern Onik has already agreed to come, since that's his homeworld and he already has the right mindset. I'm also going to ask Lantern Xor… I don't think you've met him? He's huge and grey with orange hair. He's from this region of space, so I can nip over and pick him up while you're preparing."

"How close?"

"He's from the Alignment, so…"

I generate a construct map, rotating it along all three axes to give a better idea of the relative location in three dimensional space. Thanagarians are generally much better at picturing three dimensional space than humans, and two dimensional images aren't useful when showing distance in space.

"About that far. Have you heard of them?"

"I haven't, but they're close enough that our government will have. Is there anything about him that I need to know?"

"Very strict sense of honour. No double-dealing, no covert activity without specific authorisation from me, do not start any fights and if you do get in a fight, avoid causing collateral damage."

Her eyes narrow slightly. "Who do you think you're talking to?"

"Someone who doesn't want to be reduced to pâté by an enraged supersoldier?" I shrug. "I have a fairly laissez-faire command style, and I feel that's fair warning."

"It wasn't necessary."

"As you will." I raise my right hand to my forehead. "I will leave you to your preparations."

I

step out, reappearing

in the Warhound training area… There he is.

Lantern Xor is momentarily distracted by my arrival, taking a solid punch to the forearm guard before returning his full attention to his opponent.

"When you're finished, Lantern Xor."

"I can fight-"

His right fist hits his opponent's guard hard enough to make them stagger back a step.

"-and talk-"

His left hits under their guard and his right hits their exposed leg.

"-at the same time."

"I'm going on a field trip. Are you avail-"

His opponent attempts a hammer blow but in raising their arms they reveal their face, an opening Xor is happy to take advantage of.

"-able."

His opponent staggers back, then falls to the ground outside of the ring. Xor watches for a moment as their colleagues help the man up, then turns to face me.

"Yes. I am."

Last edited:
"That's nice? But I don't think that the High Council understand how motivating Orange Lanterns works."

"What makes you say that? They get all the intelligence reports. I'm just the schmoe who's going to have to rebuild all of this-"

Seems like something Deruoh would have wanted an actual answer to, if he wants to be a good governmental servant. Though maybe he's happy to just stay in his lane and just fulfil his specific duties.

It'll be fun to see Paragon cause a positive theological shift (assuming that that's what happens). I'd find a theological debate between orthodox Lanternists and Onix's minority Source-based religion quite fun to read, especially if Paragon is present and casually drops (even more) worldview-shattering knowledge.

step out and…

Back, appearing just behind Lantern Dul and blocking her immediate plasma shot with a construct barrier…

Don't interrupt a girl when she's working, Paul.

I think that one's a Raven, the Double Oh agents of the Thanagarian government.

Do they take their maggot-beer shaken or stirred?

"She's the only Lantern Thanagar's had in a long time

Either due to other species having more willpower at the time, or the Guardians were worried about their imperialistic tendencies.

the High Council understand

'understands'

It's mean to be a speed and agility test!"

'meant to'

in prison of in hiding.

'or in'

What's left of the Seven Devil Cults are in prison of in hiding.

And probably using magic to hide.

Maybe if Vulcan comes then he can make something to help track them down.

I'm also going to ask Lantern Xor

One of your best students.

step out, reappearing

This should be 'step out, reappearing'

"I can fight-"

His fight fist hits his opponent's guard hard enough to make them stagger back a step.

"-and talk-"

"-at the same time."

Multitasking for the win.

26th August 2012
18:27 GMT

step out and…

Figures. I'm guessing he can't actually see what people are doing when he pings them for greediporting. Surprised he hasn't done this more than once already. Maybe he can work on that on this road-trip... Wouldn't do to have him die again because he stepped into something messy.

Training arena, combat ro-

I activate my armour's phasing system and fly over to the observer area as she cleaves a flying.. skeleton robot with her axe.
Not even an apology, or is he just saving that for when people are actually listening...

-bots, probably using Nth metal so could in theory be a threat. I phase back in surrounded by armed Thanagarian soldiers, and… I think that one's a Raven, the Double Oh agents of the Thanagarian government.

"Good evening, everyone."
No doubt the agent is observing and recording the capabilities of an Orange Lantern, for future analysis. Assuming Lantern Dul is actually using her ring for this workout.

Hands don't drift towards weapons, because being Thanagarian they never left them. But they're not pointing them at me any more than they were anyway.

"Illustres!" A Thanagarian with the Arena Master's insignia nods at me. "You can join in the session if you want, but we generally call it rude if you jump in without the permission of whoever actually booked the session."
I doubt the person training would appreciate the company under most circumstances either. Good way to get your ass shot by someone running on adrenaline and combat drills.

"Yeah, sorry."

"No need to apologise to me. Your problem if you get hit, by the robots or by Paran Dul. Just remember that we don't know much about human medicine, so don't come crying to me if you arm gets stuck back on in the wrong place!"
That assumes that any of their attacks could get through his defences anyway, Nth metal or not. And 'Wholeness Rightly Assumed' can fix anything short of brain damage, after all.

"An entirely reasonable point. Is she-"

Lantern Dul shoulder-charges a robot, hitting it and using it to soak shots from a nearby turret, casting it aside once she's within axe range.

"-likely to be long?"
Well, she's not using her ring, so yes, depending on her level of aggravation.

"Shouldn't think so. It's a standard course. Mostly I think she's just doing this because it's the only time she can fly with her own wings."

"It is?"
Can't rely solely on a single weapon, after all, even a tool as versatile as a power ring. After all, rings can run out of charge at the worst times...

He wing-shrugs. "She's the only Lantern Thanagar's had in a long time. We've got plenty of soldiers who can do-" He points to where Lantern Dul is swooping in and cutting the legs off a large spider-like robot. "-that, but no others with power rings. So the High Council want her to be as good as she can possibly be."

I sense the taint of Guardian prejudice in the local recruitment criteria, perhaps. After all, don't want to recruit someone who won't be totally loyal to your calling.

The large robot fails to draw a bead on Lantern Dul as she swoops hither and thither before finally slashing into its main torso with her axe.
Eh, have her fix it with her ring. That could be a useful lever for reducing overall damage in general, really. You break it, you fix it. Too bad there'd be plenty of stuck-up gits complaining about having to do menial work...

"-once she's finished. Hey Dul! It's mean to be a speed and agility test!"

Lantern Dul flies over a line and there's a beep, the few surviving automata going inactive.

"Seemed pretty fast to me, Deruoh!"
Less chance of getting shot in the back if there's no enemies left in fighting shape behind you....

She looks up, making eye contact with me. I smile and wave my right hand at her. She doesn't smile back, but pulls her power ring out of a pouch and puts it on before flying up to us.

"Illustres."
Right down to business, eh? I suppose OL turning up in person is a good clue that something's up.

"Lantern Dul. Are you busy?"

"What's left of the Seven Devil Cults are in prison of in hiding. If you have orders for me, there's nothing holding me here."
I hope you mean in terms of work, Lantern...

I frown. "That's a sad thing to say about your homeworld."

"I mean terms of my work for the Corps."
Good, good. No point having a Lantern with nothing to fight for.

"Okay. In that case your new orders are to accompany me to Karax. I've selected you to take part in an experiment in Lantern training."

"What sort of experiment?"
Okay, there's sensible for you. Ask what your mission involves before accepting it.

"The Clarissi and I have decided that it's a good time to see if I can teach other Lanterns to do what I do, and you're one of the three I've selected for the first class. So we're off to Karax, and given that it's quite a bit further from Thanagar then from Maltus, I'll be conveying you myself."

"Karax. Why?"
In other words, he's saying you'll fly too slow? I mean, that's not what OL means, but I'm sure she'll take that away from it.

"I'm pretty good with my ring, but I don't actually have a lot of experience as a teacher. Karax-."

Her eyes flicker with orange light as her ring feeds her the information. "They worship Green Lanterns."
What better place to find information about Lanterns outside of OA itself? Especially the more unusual applications of the Spectrum?

"And keep records on them. I'm hoping we'll all learn something."

"I can be ready within an hour. Who else is coming?"
Also a smart question. Don't want to be stuck out there with someone you don't like...

"Lantern Onik has already agreed to come, since that's his homeworld and he already has the right mindset. I'm also going to ask Lantern Xor… I don't think you've met him? He's huge and grey with orange hair. He's from this region of space, so I can nip over and pick him up while you're preparing."

"How close?"
Practically next door in galactic terms... Though thankfully not close enough to come into conflict yet...

"He's from the Alignment, so…"

I generate a construct map, rotating it along all three axis to give a better idea of the relative location in three dimensional space. Thanagarians are generally much better at picturing three dimensional space than humans, and two dimensional images aren't useful when showing distance in space.

"About that far. Have you heard of them?"
Benefit of having evolved with the power of flight. Us humans always operated on the ground, so things up there were never significant, unless they were coming at us rapidly...

"I haven't, but they're close enough that our government will have. Is there anything about him that I need to know?"

"Very strict sense of honour. No double-dealing, no covert activity without specific authorisation from me, do not start any fights and if you do get in a fight, avoid causing collateral damage."
Not unlike the Thanagarians themselves, really, besides Xor's personal sense of honour... They simply have more allowances for 'dirty' tactics...

Her eyes narrow slightly. "Who do you think you're talking to?"

"Someone who doesn't want to be reduced to pâté by an enraged supersoldier?" I shrug. "I have a fairly laissez-faire command style, and I feel that's fair warning."
And if she doesn't fuck up too badly, he might be willing to put her back together afterwards... So don't make him not want to.

"It wasn't necessary."

"As you will." I raise my right hand to my forehead. "I will leave you to your preparations."
Joy of working with heavily military cultures. No long waits for people to sort out their business.

I

step out, reappearing

in the Warhound training area… There he is.
At least you didn't arrive in the middle of the fight this time.

Lantern Xor is momentarily distracted by my arrival, taking a solid punch to the forearm guard before returning his full attention to his opponent.

That won't take long.

"I can fight-"

His fight fist hits his opponent's guard hard enough to make them stagger back a step.
See, a good solid hit.

"-and talk-"

Glad Xor's not trying to kill him. I suspect the opponent would already be laid out in that case...

"-at the same time."

"I'm going on a field trip. Are you avail-"

His opponent attempts a hammer blow but in raising their arms they reveal their face, an opening Xor is happy to take advantage of.
Yeah, that may look cool, but a properly pragmatic pugilist will punish such pompous pageantry...

"-able."

His opponent staggers back, then falls to the ground outside of the ring. Xor watches for a moment as their colleagues help the man up, then turns to face me.

"Yes. I am."
Just have to let your girlfriend know where you're going?

Well, at least it's easy to get everyone together for this trip. It's going to be a very interesting cruise to Karax, though. Two pragmatic soldiers, a priestly fellow and OL. Let's hope that combination of personalities doesn't mix poorly... Like nitroglycerine. It'll be interesting to see what they can learn, though...

Not even an apology, or is he just saving that for when people are actually listening...

Paul can be stubborn and refuse to apologize if he thinks he's right.

I sense the taint of Guardian prejudice in the local recruitment criteria, perhaps. After all, don't want to recruit someone who won't be totally loyal to your calling.

Or there were others with more willpower.

Though it is possible that they were worried about their imperialistic tendencies and didn't want to deal with that.

It's not that strange that they will not recruit someone whose loyalty may not be assured.

Well, at least it's easy to get everyone together for this trip. It's going to be a very interesting cruise to Karax, though. Two pragmatic soldiers, a priestly fellow and OL. Let's hope that combination of personalities doesn't mix poorly... Like nitroglycerine. It'll be interesting to see what they can learn, though...

I'm getting a priest walks into a bar joke vibe here for some reason.

Do they take their maggot-beer shaken or stirred?
They drink water.
I think that's okay.
'meant to'
'or in'
This should be 'step out, reappearing'
then -> than
fight -> right
Thank you, corrected.
Paul can be stubborn and refuse to apologize if he thinks he's right.
True.

Aww, I was hoping he was taking the coluan lantern woman, whatever her name was.

I don't think we've seen her since Paul exploded anyway, whatever happened to her?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back