• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

27th August 2012
09:29 GMT

Supplying weapons to the Spider Guild carries some fairly heavy penalties on Karax, for obvious reasons. Treating with enemies of the Green Lantern Corps like Sinestro would also warrant a heavy punishment. Karax tends to treat persistent criminality as a defect of will, so their punishments for serious crimes tends to involve the sorts of things that this monastery did anyway. Is there anything to gain by trying to arrange for something different to happen here?
So the abbot won't be retaining his position whatever happens, most likely. And it doesn't look like there's much reason to try and improve matters for him. Certainly, there's no profit in it for OL... Whoever takes over will likely allow him to continue his research here.

I haven't personally lost anything. Lantern Onik got a useful lesson in the face of his peoples' ancestral enemies, I got a slightly better look at modern Spider Guild combat robots and we've got access to a yellow power ring.
Though the latter thing is still up in the air. That depends on the abbot, I suppose.

"Did Sinestro provide you with a yellow personal lantern?"

"No. He said that I should.. seek him out, if I… Came to a resolution."
Would have been awkward, then, if it had run out of charge out there in combat.

So… What? Option one, hand him over to the local police. I can actually see inside him now, and he has no desire to resist. Option two… Try and get him to act as a double agent inside whatever Corps Sinestro is building? Karaxians aren't generally considered good at obfuscation, and he's not in the best mental state. Option three…

Ring..?
Checking his options, I see. I doubt option two would be in any way helpful, and Sinestro might well see it coming anyway.

Option three would be to allow him to carry out a one-man death and glory attack on the Spider Guild, an option that is actually supported by Karaxian law. I don't know how much charge he's got left, but there's no way that the Spiders would try and take a Lantern alive right now.
Not after the showing you gave them. Unfortunately, that comes down to whether the abbot can muster the strength to actually make the ring work... And right now, he seems kind of... exhausted.

"Have you?"

"Even though I didn't feel it, fear shaped my thoughts and actions. My will was impotent. His argument that fear is more fundamental was borne out by my actions."
Quite the crisis of faith for someone devoted to the power of the Green Light.

"Do you want people to fear you?"

"If that is the most productive way to act, yes. I don't like it, but that's… My life hasn't been about doing things that I've liked."
It's like he's resigned to his fate, whatever that might be. Show some spirit, abbot.

And given how I assisted Onik in beating the Guilder, I can't argue about the efficacy of fear.

What was Sinestro trying to get out of this? A loyal henchman? Was it for a propaganda victory, and if so who is the intended audience? To weaken Lantern Toren in some way? To disrupt interstellar Lanternism and so encourage other fear-filled people to seek him out?
Questions we've been asking too. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they'll be answered anytime soon.

But that's all really about Sinestro.

My 'Lord Protector' alter ego attained enlightenment by meditating on his fears. By constantly forcing himself to feel them he became preternaturally aware of them, and so freed himself form their control. I wouldn't mind sticking the abbot in a laboratory to see exactly what he can learn to do…
Too bad he's gone back to his world, to work further on matters there (until he finally gains the dimensional portal that got him onto Earth-Bet.)

Except that I'm here to improve my abilities as a teacher, and the abilities of my students. Mucking about with this is likely to get me cut off from this place as a source of teaching materials. Self-centredness is the way to go. If the Karaxians want to try something clever I'll offer my advice, but that's something they can decide for themselves.

"To return to your question, what happens next depends on you. I can tell that you're feeling pretty down about the whole thing. If I ask you to hand over your ring and surrender, will you?"
Like I said, there's no profit in trying to intercede. Nearly every option costs you more than you gain...

"Would it help?"

"Counselling by a non-Karaxian psychiatrist would probably help, but I imagine that they're going to want to disarm you before taking your case."
Certainly, getting outside help might be useful. Have some N.E.M.O. scientists look at him to determine the effects of the Yellow light could be worthwhile...

If all else failing I can probably persuade Harleen to take the case. This sounds more like a cultural blind spot rather than a complex issue.

"But…"

"You said yourself; you haven't ever truly overcome your fear. There is nothing in your current belief structure that you haven't tried. All that's left is to try something else, something new."
There's an option. give Sinestro the middle finger, flip the figurative table and walk away. I doubt the abbot would find any more comfort in the Orange light than he would the Yellow, though...

He holds up the right slightly.

"Like this?"
Yes, embrace the thing fuelled by the very thing causing this crisis of faith... That'll work out so well...

"If an excess of fear caused this problem, how would more fear help you solve it? Don't you want to stop feeling fear because the fear is gone? Don't you want to stop being afraid of fear?"

He shudders slightly.
The problem is that he's so soaked in fear that he can't see any other way out. What he needs is something to focus on...

"More than anything. I-."

"Conflicting emotional resonance registered. Avarice overriding fear."
Something like that. Lucky for you, OL. Looks like the Yellow Ring's decided to cut its losses.

"A curious response, and not one I was expecting."

The ring… Fades. It was a construct of some sort? I suppose that would explain part of how it could exist. I know that imbuing energy from a ring into another object is possible, it just never seemed useful or efficient. As it fades, the light spreads out slightly, forming an…
A Deputy Ring, which is a known function of Green rings. Not a commonly used one since the average Green Lantern tends not to want any help from outside the Corps. I see Sinestro added some manner of programming in the case of failure, though...

That's what the local Sinestro looks like.

"I assume that you have spoken to one of Vril Dox's people, then. If a man as fearful as you can learn to overcome himself through avarice, then perhaps I should reconsider my selection criteria. Farewell. I doubt that we'll see one another again."
Heh. Not quite the monologue we hoped for, but I suppose he's a busy Korugarian. But it looks like he is taking the first steps of forming a Corps, then, if he's investigating recruitment criteria.

The light fades out completely, leaving no trace of his presence.

Oh. So-. A transmission? He didn't seem to be aware of my physical presence. Aware of the candidate only? I could just contact him directly but I strongly suspect that he's a better character analyst than me when I can't use my empathic abilities.
More likely a pre-recorded contingency. And probably better not to poke the sleeping dragon. We've already seen what happens when you do, with a literal dragon, at that...

Lantern Toren walks out of the monastery and towards the abbot, who has collapsed to his knees. Lantern Dul follows, though she stays a little distance and keeps her ring at the ready. Toren has the resigned air of someone with a necessary but unpleasant job to do, and his ring's glowing at the bare minimum level that it can and still function.

"Abbot, you're under arrest."
Yeah, this is not something to be celebrated. No great victory or triumphant battle, just a man who gave into temptation...

The abbot doesn't move for a moment, then nods.

"Yes. Of course."
Better put him on suicide watch, that doesn't sound healthy...

He rises to his feet, then holds his arms limply out for Toren to cuff. Toren nods at me as he does so.

"Thank you for resolving this peacefully."
If depressingly poorly otherwise.

"In the interest of providing you with all pertinent information-"

I toss a glowing orange mote to his ring, where it provides him with everything that happened since I left.

"-I only handled this bit peacefully. But you're both welcome."
Oh, yeah, the atrocity. Against generally bad people, but still...

Toren's eyes glow as he takes it in.

"I.. see. I will have to consider this. What are your plans now?"
I don't see trying to arrest him for attempted genocide and mass destruction of a biosphere would be too wise,... Best to bump it upstairs to the Guardians and let them try it.

"Being slightly more aware of the Spider Guild now, I think I'll have the practical part of this instruction session take part on their side of the border. Have Lanterns Dul, Onik and Xor put what they've learned into practice. Until either Dox calls us back or one of them has a breakthrough I need to share with Maltus immediately, I'll be staying here."

"We will speak more about that when I return."
With any luck, Karax's Spider Guild issues might be greatly reduced for a few generations...

He and the abbot rise into the air and head in the direction of the nearest large city.

I turn to Lantern Dul.

"Does the Thanagarian Empire have any contact with the Spider Guild?"
Time to take out some frustrations on some bad people...

"No. We don't."

I smile.

"Let's go and fix that."
Bonding over the joy of orbital bombardments and mass destruction.

Well, not a good end for the abbot. A lot of death and pain for no real benefit. OL's had better runs, though I'm hard-pressed to remember any episode that ended worse for him. The confrontation with Nabu, maybe, since he lost at least three assets (Teekl, Micheal Sisken and John Constantine, to a degree...) Still, getting to make the universe a slightly better place soon might improve the mood.

Looks like he's mostly just experimenting with finding the ideal candidates for a Yellow Lantern Corps. I'm sure subverting the abbot would have been a nice propaganda bonus or petty fuck you to the Greenies, but it still feels more like a bonus than the goal in and of itself.

So I imagine the Orange Lantern Corps coming into its own and the chat Sinestro had with Vril Dox have had their share of influence.

It's like he's resigned to his fate, whatever that might be. Show some spirit, abbot.

I don't think he's capable of that now.

And probably better not to poke the sleeping dragon. We've already seen what happens when you do, with a literal dragon, at that...

A battle to the death and those around him going crazy, along with a situation he should have resolved a long, long time ago getting him trapped in pink crystal and nearly brainwashed.

With any luck, Karax's Spider Guild issues might be greatly reduced for a few generations...

Though if another sect comes along then they will have trouble.

Unless they choose not to since the OLC has a more lax attitude to members wiping out species compared to the GLC.

Bonding over the joy of orbital bombardments and mass destruction.

I'm reminded of that Slaaneshmas special where Ahriman said that xenophobia brings everyone together.

Well, not a good end for the abbot

Though he may finally find some peace.

Is the spider guild queen whom Paul gave that massage to still alive?

Damn, I hoped at least Sinestro was remotely monitoring the situation and he would have a few words with the Illustres. Foreplay is good an all, but this is too much teasing his appearance.

I'm curious now what the practical lesson for the Orange Lanterns will be. Extermination campaign with the Spider Guild? Not that anybody would miss them. I, for one, am an advocate for the extinction of malignant and unrepentant species when there's no collateral damage. I mean, maybe a few eco-systems may suffer, but I don't think there's any sane person that would miss mosquitoes, cockroaches or fucking ticks.

And I don't think the Illustres is wanting to go to Vega for a while. Nothing of value there, just a bunch of ungrateful people, pirates and the only spiders we know that by some miracle don't deserve to be fully exterminated... yet.

And I don't think the Illustres is wanting to go to Vega for a while. Nothing of value there, just a bunch of ungrateful people, pirates and the only spiders we know that by some miracle don't deserve to be fully exterminated... yet.
It's not a miracle. She was more or less a test subject, and most of the rest are young enough that they weren't fully inculturated.

Vega has two of his first Orange Lanterns, one of which may potentially become one of the first members of a Blue Lantern Corps, and the people there are very grateful, the thing with the Psions being the exception.

Paul is also very big on building civilization and improving places, so he may want to keep a close eye there to make sure everything is going smoothly.

Most of the pirates were also killed, some of them went legit and the ones that didn't aren't expected to live long.

Paul is also unlikely to exterminate the Vega Spider Guild.

He's very big on rehabilitation if it's possible and the Guild there has so far proven to be receptive to the idea and may function as civilized members of the galactic community.

Also there's Princess to consider.

It's been mentioned that the OLC may face recruitment problems since finding people that can wield orange rings without going nuts is not easy.

With Princess, and any potential future sisters or brothers she may have, the OLC could have a source of stable recruits.

And given that the Queen has stated that she can manipulate the genes of other species and even carry embryos of other species inside herself, she may potentially help species that are extinct or near extinct come back to life, like the species the Reach conquered.

Granted the Controllers may be able to bring them back themselves, but she is also an option.

It's not a miracle. She was more or less a test subject, and most of the rest are young enough that they weren't fully inculturated.

If it was a science experiment it makes it more believable. What I don't understand is if she escaped her creators or if the whole Guild chapter is the experiment itself. As the Illustres pointed out, the Spiders normally don't have Queens, and if she herself was a test subject, how did she end up ultimately in charge?

After all, the chapter wasn't paricularly small from what I gathered, they had enough resources to fight against a brief coallision of pirates when they arrived and established themselves in Vega. They lost, true, but if they had been just a couple of ships I don't think they would have survived to entrench in a planet. They would have died in space. So the resources for the Vega Guild chapter came from somewhere and I imagine the Queen already existed and was in charge by the time they were traveling to Vega. The origin of that chapter is what confuses me.

As the Illustres pointed out, the Spiders normally don't have Queens, and if she herself was a test subject, how did she end up ultimately in charge?

I believe the explanation was just that everyone higher-ranking than her was killed in the hostilities prior to Paragon's arrival in Vega. In the Renegade timeline I believe the entire Nest was destroyed.

If it was a science experiment it makes it more believable. What I don't understand is if she escaped her creators or if the whole Guild chapter is the experiment itself. As the Illustres pointed out, the Spiders normally don't have Queens, and if she herself was a test subject, how did she end up ultimately in charge?

After all, the chapter wasn't paricularly small from what I gathered, they had enough resources to fight against a brief coallision of pirates when they arrived and established themselves in Vega. They lost, true, but if they had been just a couple of ships I don't think they would have survived to entrench in a planet. They would have died in space. So the resources for the Vega Guild chapter came from somewhere and I imagine the Queen already existed and was in charge by the time they were traveling to Vega. The origin of that chapter is what confuses me.

That particular chapter was apparently interested in conducting genetic experiments that were strongly disapproved off by the rest of the Guild, to the point they'd be killed if it got out.

That's probably why they went to Vega.

It's fairly isolated since most civilized societies and species may avoid it due to the large presence of pirates and psychotic aliens, so they may have felt they can do their experiments there without getting caught.

If I remember correctly it was mentioned that the various powers in Vega teamed up to destroy them and managed to kill the leadership.

After this the Queen took control and birthed new Guilders that were instinctually loyal to her, while the previous ones were either forced to follow her or were killed and probably eaten.

Last edited:
Selection critia? He's preparing for a proper corps somehow.
Perhaps the fear of failure without more people?
Must take a lot of focus to keep up a contruct ring.

The evaporating ring is interesting...considering it formed into a transmission or echo of Sinestro is a neat feature.

We've seen ring users tele-operate construct selves during communication between lanterns, but never full colour, never without a tether, and never doing combat.

Then again, looking at Kyle Rayner in the Superman cartoon, he got away with a decoy ring trick pretty quick. (and of course now I look back at the live action GL film and see they did the same gag with a remote controlled ring)

I dimly recall it being mentioned during the comic book run when Hal as Parallax attacked Oa that he freed Sinestro from his place imprisoned in the Central Battery to Kill him. It Looked like he succeeded only for it to later be shown that he'd 'killed' a construct Sinestro (in full colour) that was being remote piloted. We've seen the 'the gnat' turn people Into constructs and then shaping those into Rings, but that's not what we're seeing here.

The DC wiki entry for yellow lanterns list an 'Energy Twin' feature:

'Energy Twin
: The power ring allows the wearer to create an "energy twin" of his/her/itself that can travel at far greater speeds than that of the ring wielder's physical form. While the energy twin is active the ring wielder remains motionless, his/her/its life force is needed to guide the energy twin. The energy twin can not alter its surroundings, and may only be perceived by another ring wielder as a yellow, ghostlike image. Any knowledge gained by the energy twin is transferred back to the ring wielder's physical form upon recontact with the body.'

So maybe it's something along these lines and Sinestro Was the ring via this twinning?

Medidiction (supplementary, Renegade Option)
27th August 2012
10:33 GMT -7

"In what way 'like me'?"

Artemis and I glance at each other, and I shrug. "I'll take the lead, then."

"The… Shape of it, the… Space it makes in the arcane energy flows of the universe. You're similar to a New God, but different enough in the way you function that there's a difference we can feel. Your manifestation is similar but the way you're wired in is different."

"Other than Donna there isn't anyone like me."

"That you know of."

"I suppose that the universe is a big place-."

I shake my head. "No, this is Olympian flavoured. I've been to Themyscira. I know what your people feel like."

Kicking myself slightly for not getting a better feel for Hippolyta or the other demigoddesses. That would have given me a better point of reference. As it is, I only have three. And I'm… Not likely to get another invitation, am I?

Diana looks understandably puzzled. "Amazons have never had spaceships."

"I'm painfully aware of that."

Artemis glares at me out of the corner of her eyes. Hunt-Partner Warns Prey.

"Sorry. Sorry, I know you… Your people, never developed in that direction. But did any of you know anyone who did? Did you have any contact with space-faring civilisations? The local Green Lantern?"

Diana shakes her head. "No. I have never seen any records of any contact like that. Are you certain that you felt what was actually there?"

I spread my arms to the sides. "As sure as I can be. 'Space Amazons' wouldn't have been my first guess for something like this. It's so out of character. Even your grandmother wouldn't have entirely depopulated a planet."

"Are you certain that they are dead?"

"I can't really be certain of anything. But… Ockham's Razor."

"Could it not be a Chaos Lord?"

"I'd feel one of them. There are only so many you can kill before you get a feel for their magic." I shake my head. "And I don't think it was another equivalent magic user. There would be a distinct feel to it."

"Themyscira has produced sorceresses before."

"Then we're back to the problem of how they got there." I shake my head. "Look, if you want to look into it yourself I'm sure that Scott can lend you a boom tube, but I don't have any information I haven't already given you."

"Aside from the fact that whoever this was, they're working with another version of you."

"That was news to me too. That he was working with an Amazon, I mean."

"But not that he existed."

"No, I've known that for a while. And before you complain to me about it, it isn't pertinent information that I'm obliged to share with you by your intelligence sharing agreement with the US government. I had no information that he was heading for Earth, and as far as I know he isn't."

"The Earth Fifty version did."

"Superman Fifty killed Darkseid. He needed to go to their Earth to confirm his authority. Earth Sixteen just isn't that interesting to him."

"What if he follows you here?"

"What if he came here anyway?" I shrug. "Earth's a thaumically active world. His New God navigational systems could easily pick it up, and it isn't exactly a secret on Apokolips that this is where Scott ended up. When this is over… Either he'll be dead and in no position to come after Earth, or I'll be dead and he'll have no reason to come after Earth."

"Unless he decides to anyway."

"Then.. you should probably get busy on anti-ship defences. I know Lex is."

"If he sends ships to Vega-."

"No no-" I shake my head. "-no. We worked that out. No human ships, just in case."

Lex offered, but it… Wouldn't be a good idea. Apokoliptian ships would be shielded against purple death rays, tough enough to take cold guns and have sensors good enough to detect ships through our stealth systems. It just wasn't worth the risk.

"Very well. I will raise the matter with the rest of the Justice League. I take it that you want our aid."

"It-."

Artemis elbows me.

"Yes. You should feel free to have a look around Vega and check that I'm not worse than someone who vanishes the populations of entire planets."

Artemis shakes her head. "Grayven, you have disappeared the populations of entire planets."

"Yeah, but they were really bad. And.. some psions survived, so really it was just the Citadelians and they were all clones of one man. Anyway, I'm perfectly happy for you to-."

"You're not." Diana looks me in the eye, challenging me to contradict her.

"Alright, I'm not. But I'll put up with it if it means that my people have a better chance of not getting vanished. I like the Tamaraneans. I've put effort into making the place a little more civilised." I exhale, and bow my head slightly. "Plus of course if you do decide to take part, I'll have to tell you everything about what I've been doing there."

"You should tell us that anyway."

"Well, it's not like I'm going to chain you to a ship so you can't leave if you say 'yes' and then later feel like taking it back… But I suspect that if members of the League commit themselves to helping then they're committed to helping."

"We would not necessarily be helping you."

"Yes, I understand that, but I'd rather that more of my people survived than I remain in charge of them." I raise my eyebrows. "Was that true?"

"Yes." Diana nods. "It was."

"Oh, and I'm perfectly willing to upgun anyone who wants to take part. Because this is a battle, and anyone who tries to avoid lethal attacks is probably going to die."

"I will inform the League."

"And..?"

"And I will recommend that we aid the people of Vega, subject to what we find. But if there is some long lost sister of mine in the other Grayven's fleet, then she is mine to deal with."

I nod. "Oh, I totally get that. It would actually bypass some New God technology-based defences if she were confronted by someone thematically associated with her."

We stand, and the hush tube opens to take Diana back to New York.

Artemis and I watch her leave. This is about it, really. With the fleet pretty much as good as it's going to get we're going alternate-me hunting tomorrow. Any last things to take care of-.

"I've left a letter for Mom, in case I don't come back."

I nod. "And Tao?"

"We… Broke up."

"I hadn't felt him for a while, but I thought it was just the disconnect."

"I'm a hundred times his age. At least. He just feels… Young."

"Yes, I get it. Luna's a fraction of my age now, but at least she's an adult."

"You going to spend some time with her?"

"I hope so. But I've got another obligation to discharge first."

Last edited:
Kicking myself slightly for not getting a better feel for Hippolyta or the other demigoddesses. That would have given me a better point of reference. As it is, I only have three. And I'm… Not likely to get another invitation, am I?

Consequences of being an asshole.

Let's take a moment and appreciate how Artemis has to deal with this idiot.

Even your grandmother wouldn't have entirely depopulated a planet."

Though she may have killed a lot of people.

"Then we're back to the problem of how they got there

Well if they got access to the Dreaming or Hell then they could have probably used that.

There's also any help from Titans they could have got, since I think it was mentioned they are not as bound to planets as regular gods.

or I'll be dead and he'll have no reason to come after Earth."

Unless he figures out that they can be turned into New Gods and wants to make an army, like Grayven 50 did.

Anyway, I'm perfectly happy for you to-."

Diana can see through your bullshit.

I nod. "And Tao?"

"We… Broke up."

Sad, but understandable.

27th August 2012
10:33 GMT -7

"In what way 'like me'?"

Ah, finally talking to Diana. I suppose she's been busy, since it apparently took a little while to get to see her. Wonder what they've found out in the intervening period...

"The… Shape of it, the… Space it makes in the arcane energy flows of the universe. You're similar to a New God, but different enough in the way you function that there's a difference we can feel. Your manifestation is similar but the way you're wired in is different."

"Other than Donna there isn't anyone like me."
So, like the difference between two country's electrical plugs. She'd need some manner of adaptor to use New God tech directly...

"That you know of."

"I suppose that the universe is a big place-."

I shake my head. "No, this is Olympian flavoured. I've been to Themyscira. I know what your people feel like."
A certain spicy flavour. Very Greek.

...That you know of, Diana. Who's to say what secrets lay in the depths of Themyscira's long memory.

Heh, chastising him with a hint of godspeech. I wonder if Diana noticed that at all?

"Sorry. Sorry, I know you… Your people, never developed in that direction. But did any of you know anyone who did? Did you have any contact with space-faring civilisations? The local Green Lantern?"

Diana shakes her head. "No. I have never seen any records of any contact like that. Are you certain that you felt what was actually there?"
The problem is, would those involved have written it down? Especially if they felt it too.. strange or unpleasant.. for general consumption by the people.

I spread my arms to the sides. "As sure as I can be. 'Space Amazons' wouldn't have been my first guess for something like this. It's so out of character. Even your grandmother wouldn't have entirely depopulated a planet."

"Are you certain that they are dead?"
That grandmother would be Otrera. Lover of Ares, so that gives you some idea of her temperament...

"I can't really be certain of anything. But… Ockham's Razor."

"Could it not be a Chaos Lord?"
Eh... Where the chaos in vanishing an entire planet's population? If anything it's orderly afterwards.

"I'd feel one of them. There are only so many you can kill before you get a feel for their magic." I shake my head. "And I don't think it was another equivalent magic user. There would be a distinct feel to it."

Indeed, not all of them heroic.

"Then we're back to the problem of how they got there." I shake my head. "Look, if you want to look into it yourself I'm sure that Scott can lend you a boom tube, but I don't have any information I haven't already given you."

"Aside from the fact that whoever this was, they're working with another version of you."
Which is concerning. But the Renegade will have to cross that bridge when he comes to it, i guess.

"That was news to me too. That he was working with an Amazon, I mean."

"But not that he existed."
Hardly the first counterpart he's run into. And the Forever morons pegged him as Grayven even before he started his transformation... Yes, we know it was coincidental, but...

"No, I've known that for a while. And before you complain to me about it, it isn't pertinent information that I'm obliged to share with you by your intelligence sharing agreement with the US government. I had no information that he was heading for Earth, and as far as I know he isn't."

"The Earth Fifty version did."
He had to swing his New God dick in the fight for the throne of Apokolips.

"Superman Fifty killed Darkseid. He needed to go to their Earth to confirm his authority. Earth Sixteen just isn't that interesting to him."

"What if he follows you here?"
Then the Justice League can pull off a miracle and save the world. It's their job, after all.

"What if he came here anyway?" I shrug. "Earth's a thaumically active world. His New God navigational systems could easily pick it up, and it isn't exactly a secret on Apokolips that this is where Scott ended up. When this is over… Either he'll be dead and in no position to come after Earth, or I'll be dead and he'll have no reason to come after Earth."

"Unless he decides to anyway."
Yes, and you'll have some warning. The Renegade's letting you know of the possibility now.

"Then.. you should probably get busy on anti-ship defences. I know Lex is."

"If he sends ships to Vega-."

"No no-" I shake my head. "-no. We worked that out. No human ships, just in case."
That would just raise a challenge Grayven-16 would have to answer.

Lex offered, but it… Wouldn't be a good idea. Apokoliptian ships would be shielded against purple death rays, tough enough to take cold guns and have sensors good enough to detect ships through our stealth systems. It just wasn't worth the risk.

"Very well. I will raise the matter with the rest of the Justice League. I take it that you want our aid."
:oops: ...Ehhh... I don't think playing by the League's rules of engagement will be helpful here.

"It-."

Artemis elbows me.

"Yes. You should feel free to have a look around Vega and check that I'm not worse than someone who vanishes the populations of entire planets."
Well, the populations that haven't earned it, anyway.

Artemis shakes her head. "Grayven, you have disappeared the populations of entire planets."

"Yeah, but they were really bad. And.. some psions survived, so really it was just the Citadelians and they were all clones of one man. Anyway, I'm perfectly happy for you to-."
Plus, the citadelians were all wired in to be exactly like their original, with additional subservience.

"Alright, I'm not. But I'll put up with it if it means that my people have a better chance of not getting vanished. I like the Tamaraneans. I've put effort into making the place a little more civilised." I exhale, and bow my head slightly. "Plus of course if you do decide to take part, I'll have to tell you everything about what I've been doing there."
Which explains why he's not trying overly hard to encourage her to help out.

"You should tell us that anyway."

"Well, it's not like I'm going to chain you to a ship so you can't leave if you say 'yes' and then later feel like taking it back… But I suspect that if members of the League commit themselves to helping then they're committed to helping."
Yeah, doing that would just set the League into 'you're eeeevil!' mode. Though I suspect one or two might recognise the necessity of a wartime footing.

"We would not necessarily be helping you."

"Yes, I understand that, but I'd rather that more of my people survived than I remain in charge of them." I raise my eyebrows. "Was that true?"
"After all I've put a lot of work into them," to Paraphrase the Eleventh Doctor...

"Yes." Diana nods. "It was."

"Oh, and I'm perfectly willing to upgun anyone who wants to take part. Because this is a battle, and anyone who tries to avoid lethal attacks is probably going to die."
So, Apokoliptian-grade battle armour, Purple rays with lethal and heal settings... Cold guns? Imagine the Flash wielding one in a ground battle.

"I will inform the League."

"And..?"

"And I will recommend that we aid the people of Vega, subject to what we find. But if there is some long lost sister of mine in the other Grayven's fleet, then she is mine to deal with."
That's fair. She'd probably insist on the same deal with Grayven anyway if she finds out.

I nod. "Oh, I totally get that. It would actually bypass some New God technology-based defences if she were confronted by someone thematically associated with her."

We stand, and the hush tube opens to take Diana back to new York.
Meeting In Challenger Mountain, I presume.

Artemis and I watch her leave. This is about it, really. With the fleet pretty much as good as it's going to get we're going alternate-me hunting tomorrow. Any last things to take care of-.

"I've left a letter for Mom, in case I don't come back."
Don't be like that. You're a protagonist here, the Narrative will protect you unless you keep setting death flags like that.

I nod. "And Tao?"

"We… Broke up."
Sad, but expected. What boy could satisfy a Goddess, after all?

"I hadn't felt him for a while, but I thought it was just the disconnect."

"I'm a hundred times his age. At least. He just feels… Young."
And there are names for that sort of thing. Not all of them are nice.

"Yes, I get it. Luna's a fraction of my age now, but at least she's an adult."

"You going to spend some time with her?"

"I hope so. But I've got another obligation to discharge first."
Hmm? I wonder what?

Well, if that's setting up the next Renegade episode, it's doing a good job of it. Things are about to come to a head in Vega, and it's simply a matter of time before Grayven-16 makes his move. A pity there are so many unknowns involved for this to prove a suitably unfair fight.

Godspeech:
"In what way 'like me'?"

Eh... Where the chaos in vanishing an entire planet's population? If anything it's orderly afterwards.

Potential damage to the ecosystem can be chaotic.

Hardly the first counterpart he's run into. And the Forever morons pegged him as Grayven even before he started his transformation... Yes, we know it was coincidental, but...

He did look like him and Orange Light feels Apokaliptian.

He had to swing his New God dick in the fight for the throne of Apokolips.

I'm reminded of that George R.R. Martin thing from South Park.

Sad, but expected. What boy could satisfy a Goddess, after all?

He is a demigod himself.

And there are names for that sort of thing. Not all of them are nice.

She and paragon may bond over younger people having romantic feelings for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back