• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Well anything Zoat is aware of, Paragon would be. So if he knows the term to use it in the story, he would know it when he is in the story.

Plus domt forget Renegade knew enough to start an Ogre Tentacle Orgy cult or whatever when he first went Big Grey from the Venombuster formula.
Your points are true, though I'm sure Zoat's done a fair amount of research since starting WtR that means he has more knowledge about the setting(s) than the Paragon does.

As for the Renegade, I feel like thinking of tentacle orgies and hentai in relation to Japan is a lot more common/generally known compared to the specific social/religious term 'honden'. I can't speak for anyone else, of course, but this story was the first time I came across the term after being a fairly regular anime-watcher for years.

And if Paragon was the one to name the Honden, picking a Japanese term over something more in line with his major cultural influences (I'm including his interests in Warhammer and other media, not just 'English' or secular Christian stuff) is still puzzling.

Last edited:
One of Zoat's influences is Magic the Gathering, and Kamigawa Block's Honden cycle was released well before the story began.
If that's the reference intended, it makes sense, thank you. Not sure there was a link to 'Honden' somewhere in the orange text when the term first came up in-story.

Where is Parallax? And what is it doing? Is it trapped in the green central power battery? And if so, does this prevent it from accessing the plane of elemental fear?
The SI doesn't know.
Where did the term 'Honden' come from in the first place anyway? Paragon doesn't seem especially acquainted with Japanese culture (I don't even remember him making any references to anime or manga, but I might have missed it since Zoat has at least some familiarity with Gate), and I don't see why the Ophidian would employ that term in particular.
I haven't reread Paragon's first visit to the Honden, which I probably should have, but I'm not sure it'll give me an answer since I think I'd have remembered that.
No, but I was playing Magic: the Gathering during the Kamigawa block.
I hope we see our wonderful benevolent tyrant trying to figure out how light switches work.
He spent a century living amongst spacefaring civilisations. He knows how light switches work.

A Waltz in Orange and Green (part 9)
10th September 2012
18:27 GMT

"Lanterns dismissed, Lord Malvolio, thank you, you've been a most courteous host and I'll be happy to entertain you if you're ever near Earth or-"

I grab and subspace my personal lanterns.

"-Maltus, excuse me."

I step out, the desire to be ruled by Lord Malvolio

being somewhat distinctive and limited to one region.

"Illustres to WHATEVER IDIOT JUST DECIDED TO PICK A FIGHT WITH LORD MALVOLIO I HOPE YOUR LIFE INSURANCE IS UP TO DATE."

Right, I got a reasonable map update last time I was in the area, though I've got no idea where Priest was hiding out or what changes have happened since. Ships… They're not posing near their internal borders any longer, but patrolling the entire region as a unified navy.

He's really brought the region together.

The void that there used to be around the system he was imprisoned in is gone, but I'm detecting something not too different around… Oh, that's a bit mean. A desolate system whose most interesting feature is what appeared when I scanned it to be the remains of a broken-up super-Earth. Now there's a huge green barrier around the whole thing that looks like it's on fire.

Ring, find me whoever it is that's taking the piss.

"Urine-extractors found."

And of course it's a squad of Green Lanterns.

"I know you people received my first message. Lord Malvolio knows that you're here and he's heading back."

Two I don't recognise. One is a standard pattern humanoid male who has somehow combined a Mohican with a pony tail. There's a treeman along with Apros and…

Of course they sent him.

"Guy Gardner pick up your gosh darn ring."

In the distance I see Guy look around, though the light I'm emitting won't reach him for days and my tattoos will prevent his ring picking me up.

Then his face appears over my ring.

"Hey Paul. What's up?"

"I was having a pleasant conversation with Lord Malvolio, learning all about his future plans and how he can make Central Power Batteries, and then he got a message that someone was trying to burgle him."

"This ain't a burglary. It's a prison break."

"Guy, Lord Malvolio heard about this when I did. He's heading back now."

"And?"

"And he punched Jordan through one side of a planet and out of the other. He can make Central Power Batteries."

"Can he make crumblers?"

"His ring doesn't have AI support, so probably not. On the other hand he definitely can lock you in an inescapable prison the size of a star system."

"You got out."

"Priest -the man you're trying to gaol-break- built that prison. Lord Malvolio built the one now imprisoning him."

"So?"

"And that's assuming that he doesn't flat out kill you."

"He couldn't kill Lantern Priest."

"He decided not to kill Lantern Priest because he owed him and felt grateful that Priest didn't leave him in Salford to work out the ring for himself. Guy, has the Green Lantern Corps attempted diplomacy?"

"We can try that ahftah we've got our guy back."

"No, no you can't, because that's the Green Lantern Corps announcing that they don't care about borders or cooperation agreements and are fine with declaring war on an entire Sector."

"Just Malvolio."

"Do you know what his popularity rating around here is?"

"I dunno. Like, five percent or som-."

"More like ninety five. Maybe higher."

"Sinestro had 'bowt a hundred percent. Right up 'til Hal kicked his keister."

"Sinestro had maybe thirty percent and controlled all media. I'm an empath. You think I can't see how many people want Malvolio ruling them?"

Guy sighs.

"Wha'd'yah want me t'do, Paul?"

"Approach Lord Malvolio directly and negotiate for Priest's release."

"You saying we should trade fer him?"

"Lord Malvolio ruled this Sector when Priest trapped him. I'm fairly sure that's a crime. The Guardians didn't send a team to break Jordan out of prison when he got locked up for drunk driving, did they?"

"That ain't tha same thing."

"Okay, what's the difference?"

"Hal didn't murder a Green Lantern first."

"Lord Malvolio says that he thought the man was a demon. And given when he did it, that's a pretty credible explanation. And it was four hundred years ago. And it's not like the Green Lantern Corps hasn't recruited people who've killed -and eaten- other Lanterns before."

"I didn't hire Chummuck, but Chummuck's got with the program. He didn't conquer a Sector an' he didn't murder anyone. And I don't negotiate with terrorists."

"The Green Lantern Corps on the other hand negotiated with the Psions, the Reach, Larfleeze, the Manhunters and me when I was joined with the Ophidian. Could you not at least try talking to him before starting a war?"

"Paul, it-." Guy pauses, and looks at me quizzically. "You sayin' you ain't on our side?"

"If Lord Malvolio declares war on the Green Lantern Corps, the Orange Lantern Corps would be neutral. If you're out of action but not killed I'd evacuate you without your ring, but that's-"

"Oh, thanks."

"-all I can do. Compared to what the Reach or the Spider Guild do every day, Malvolio ruling One Six Three Four is a non-iss-."

"Warning! Will detected!"

Last edited:
"Lord Malvolio says that he thought the man was a demon. And given when he did it, that's a pretty credible explanation. And it was four hundred years ago. And it's not like the Green Lantern Corps hasn't recruited people who've kill -and eaten- other Lanterns before."
I kinda want to hear more stories of people killing Green Lanterns, taking their rings, and becoming the new Lanterns of their sector, if only because Chummuck's story has been repeated a few times already. Also, that should say 'killed'.

Right, I got a reasonably map update last

'got a reasonable'

out or what changed have happened

'changes'

The guy that can inspire fear in others.

They may have sent hom to disrupt Malvolio's concentration.

Of course they sent him.

One of the few that may be able to fight Malvolio and win.

I'm guessing we're going to be seeing some Green Light tricks from him.

And he punched Jordan through one side of a planet and out of the other.

Though Jordan wasn't as strong as Guy.

Sinestro had 'bowt a hundred percent. Right up 'til Hal kicked his keister.

Everyone loves you until you fall.

Also, you're missing a " at the end.

And it's not like the Green Lantern Corps hasn't recruited people who've kill -and eaten- other Lanterns before."

I remember Chip mentioning him before.

"Warning! Will detected

Time for the shit show.

10th September 2012

"Lanterns dismissed, Lord Malvolio, thank you, you've been a most courteous host and I'll be happy to entertain you if you're ever near Earth or-"

I grab and subspace my personal lanterns.
Yeah, best to head off any situation that could send the Green demigod on a rampage. To be fair, if Malvolio does get his hands on whoever this is, it could probably qualify as a bizarre suicide attempt...

"-Maltus, excuse me."

I step out, the desire to be ruled by Lord Malvolio

being somewhat distinctive and limited to one region.
Hmm... I wonder how closely Malvolio was watching OL's little trick. He may well be able to pull a Goku and copy it...

"Illustres to WHATEVER IDIOT JUST DECIDED TO PICK A FIGHT WITH LORD MALVOLIO I HOPE YOUR LIFE INSURANCE IS UP TO DATE."

Right, I got a reasonably map update last time I was in the area, though I've got no idea where Priest was hiding out or what changed have happened since. Ships… They're not posing near their internal borders any longer, but patrolling the entire region as a unified navy.

He's really brought the region together.
Amazing what fear of a mightier power can do. Or simply veterans recognising him, if the lifespans involved are long enough.

The void that there used to be around the system he was imprisoned in is gone, but I'm detecting something not too different around… Oh, that's a bit mean. A desolate system whose most interesting feature is what appeared when I scanned it to be the remains of a broken-up super-Earth. Now there's a huge green barrier around the whole thing that looks like it's on fire.
Yeah, that's a pretty clear beacon of 'Something Important Here'. Now, to find out who's poking it.

Ring, find me whoever it is that's taking the piss.

"Urine-extractors found."
...I know it's being literal and overly verbose, but damn if it isn't cute sometimes...

And of course it's a squad of Green Lanterns.

"I know you people received my first message. Lord Malvolio knows that you're here and he's heading back."
Methinks they're pointedly ignoring you, OL. Must be someone who's worked with you before...

Two I don't recognise. One is a standard pattern humanoid male who has somehow combined a Mohican with a pony tail. There's a treeman along with Apros and…

Of course they sent him.
Good lord, some of DC's character designs. I'm amazed someone hasn't tried something like that hairdo in real life... :p The Ultimate Mullet.

In the distance I see Guy look around, though the light I'm emitting won't reach him for days and my tattoos will prevent his ring picking me up.
Welp. The Guardians are clearly trying to trigger a war, aren't they? Guy hasn't a diplomatic bone in his body...

Then his face appears over my ring.

"Hey Paul. What's up?"
Don't play coy with OL, Guy...

"I was having a pleasant conversation with Lord Malvolio, learning all about his future plans and how he can make Central Power Batteries, and then he got a message that someone was trying to burgle him."

"This ain't a burglary. It's is a prison break."
Potahto, potayto. Which way do you think the demi-elemental who's no doubt on his way back right now will see it?

"Guy, Lord Malvolio heard about this when I did. He's heading back now."

"And?"
Seriously, Guy, you are not normally this dumb. Did you actually read Malvolio's files, or ask Jordan about it?

"And he punched Jordan through one side of a planet and out of the other. He can make Central Power Batteries."

"Can he make crumblers?"
...Admittedly, asking Jordan about it might explain the attitude. About the only impression Malvolio made on him was with his fists, after all. And at that level of power, he won't need crumblers to break constructs.

"His ring doesn't have AI support, so probably not. On the other hand he definitely can lock you in an inescapable prison the size of a star system."

"You got out."
Oh, so you did talk to Jordan. Did he not impress upon you the sheer power of the man you're ticking off?

"Priest -the man you're trying to gaol-break- built that prison. Lord Malvolio built the one now imprisoning him."

"So?"
Think about that for a second, Guy. Malvolio is hundreds of light-years from here. The prison construct is still active. Consider what kind of focus that takes...

"And that's assuming that he doesn't flat out kill you."

"He couldn't kill Lantern Priest."
No, he chose not to. There's a big difference. Would you try to kill Hal or John in an outright fight?

"He decided not to kill Lantern Priest because he owed him and felt grateful that Priest didn't leave him in Salford to work out the ring for himself. Guy, has the Green Lantern Corps attempted diplomacy?"

"We can try that ahftah we've got our guy back."
Given Priest's level of control, I suspect he's only still in there because he wants to be, Ring or not.

"No, no you can't, because that's the Green Lantern Corps announcing that they don't care about borders or cooperation agreements and are fine with declaring war on an entire Sector."

"Just Malvolio."
Who rules the Sector. Do the math, Guy. Your ring can help if you need it to.

"Do you know what his popularity rating around here is?"

"I dunno. Like, five percent or som-."
...Is Guy usually this much of an asshole about this stuff? You'd think he'd tap into the local data networks to check, at least.

"More like ninety five. Maybe higher."

"Sinestro had 'bowt a hundred percent. Right up 'til Hal kicked his keister.
Given that saying you didn't like Sinestro's rule would likely get the police looking your way, can you blame them?

"Sinestro had maybe thirty percent and controlled all media. I'm an empath. You think I can't see how many people want Malvolio ruling them?"

Guy sighs.
Maybe you should learn to use empathic vision a little more, Guy, if you can. It might head off misunderstandings like this...

"Wha'd'yah want me t'do, Paul?"

"Approach Lord Malvolio directly and negotiate for Priest's release."
Because he's presumably under Guardian Orders at this point. There's probably not a lot of wriggle room about 'Retrieve Lantern Priest and capture the despot who defeated him.'

"You saying we should trade fer him?"

"Lord Malvolio ruled this Sector when Priest trapped him. I'm fairly sure that's a crime. The Guardians didn't send a team to break Jordan out of prison when he got locked up for drunk driving, did they?"
Admittedly, there's a whole magnitude of difference involved. Especially in the Guardian's eyes. Hal was arrested, (presumably) tried and sentenced in accordance with local laws... Malvolio, well...

"That ain't tha same thing."

"Okay, what's the difference?"
...Honestly, I'm surprised OL isn't still making his way there right now. Did he stop mid-flight to argue?

"Hal didn't murder a Green Lantern first."

"Lord Malvolio says that he thought the man was a demon. And given when he did it, that's a pretty credible explanation. And it was four hundred years ago. And it's not like the Green Lantern Corps hasn't recruited people who've kill -and eaten- other Lanterns before."
Because apparently, 'Overcome Great Fear' has a lot of loopholes concerning criminal activities...

"I didn't hire Chummuck, but Chummuck's got with the program. He didn't conquer a Sector an' he didn't murder anyone. And I don't negotiate with terrorists."

"The Green Lantern Corps on the other hand negotiated with the Psions, the Reach, Larfleeze, the Manhunters and me when I was in joined with the Ophidian. Could you not at least try talking to him before starting a war?"
And if you're not seeing a connection, think 'big scary person or polity that can match the Guardians in open war...'

"Paul, it-." Guy pauses, and looks at me quizzically. "You sayin' you ain't on our side?"

"If Lord Malvolio declares war on the Green Lantern Corps, the Orange Lantern Corps would be neutral. If you're out of action but not killed I'd evacuate you without your ring, but that's-"
And be very polite to Malvolio about it, presumably. 800-pound gorilla, remember...

"Oh, thanks."

"-all I can do. Compared to what the Reach or the Spider Guild do every day, Malvolio ruling One Six Three Four is a non-iss-."

"Warning! Will detected!"
Now, Incoming Malvolio, outgoing Priest, or one of Guy's squad deciding to take matters into their own manipulators?

I thought Guy would be smarter about things like this. Read the files, ask around the Corps, maybe check on the locals before diving in... Guess we didn't know as much as we thought. o_O...Or might Guy be sporting a new ring? At any rate, let's hope he isn't too obnoxious about what happens next, because things might get a bit violent...

Seriously, Guy, you are not normally this dumb. Did you actually read Malvolio's files, or ask Jordan about it?

Guy can be pretty dumb and dense sometimes.

And any files he would have read would come from the Guardians or Jordan, people who would be biased against Malvolio either due to disliking him or only seeing his bad side.

Is Guy usually this much of an asshole about this stuff?

He can be a massive asshole.

Maybe you should learn to use empathic vision a little more, Guy, if you can. It might head off misunderstandings like this...

He may not be able to use it.

Paul can do it but his soul is made of his particular light while Guy's is just very well aligned to it so he may not have the same powers as Paul.

.Honestly, I'm surprised OL isn't still making his way there right now. Did he stop mid-flight to argue?

He loves to talk, even when it's inconvenient.

Especially when it's inconvenient.

And if you're not seeing a connection, think 'big scary person or polity that can match the Guardians in open war...'

To be fair, the Guardians may think that they can take on Malvolio.

And they wouldn't be all that wrong.

Malvolio is strong, but I doubt he's an entire Lantern Corps strong like Larfleeze.

And while he has the power of an entire Sector at his beck and call, the technology from there is probably not all that advanced, so he can't equal the Guardians there like the Reach, Psions and Manhunters could.

To be fair, the Guardians may think that they can take on Malvolio.

And they wouldn't be all that wrong.

Malvolio is strong, but I doubt he's an entire Lantern Corps strong like Larfleeze.

The catch being, this isn't an entire Lantern Corps.

This is four Lanterns.

Who are about to have a glowing green platter construct shown to them, on which to have their asses handed.

Reeeally hope Malvolio doesn't think Paul was trying to distract him.

The catch being, this isn't an entire Lantern Corps.

This is four Lanterns.

Who are about to have a glowing green platter construct shown to them, on which to have their asses handed.

But these aren't average Green Lanterns.

At least two of them are Honour Guard and one of them is the Host of Ion.

They do have a fair chance of beating Malvolio.

Welp, this is what happens when you exclusively recruit the most stubborn and bull-headed people in the galaxy.
They decide that they can attack a foreign sector and free a criminal who attacked the foreign head of state, and then negotiate afterwards.

Seriously, the GLC doesn't have a diplomatic branch?
I guess this is a side-effect of trying to police the entire galaxy while not actually ruling the whole galaxy. You get the impression that your rules are the only ones that matter when it counts.

But these aren't average Green Lanterns.

At least two of them are Honour Guard and one of them is the Host of Ion.

They do have a fair chance of beating Malvolio.

I doubt it. The Justice League couldn't take him. Guy and three jobbers haven no chance.
Unnamed Green lanterns might as well be speedbumps.

I doubt it. The Justice League couldn't take him. Guy and three jobbers haven no chance.
Unnamed Green lanterns might as well be speedbumps.

Not really.

The League wasn't trying to beat him, they were trying to escape.

And it was only a few members, not the whole League.

Also at least two of the Lanterns, Guy and Apros, are Honour Guard, as in top tier Lanterms.

And I'm betting the other two are also Honour Guard.

We've seen the type of damage Lanterns can dish out, so these guys are very very powerful.

Guy is also able to bond with Ion, so if he does that then there's no telling what can happen.

The possibility of Malvolio also bonding exists, but it may also be possible that Ion would regard him like the Ophidian regards Larfleeze.

Not to mention any potential techniques Guy has learned.

Also Malvolio may have the same problem that Astarte had.

Lack of strong enemies.

The dude's been locked up for centuries without all that much fighting aside from a few occasions, while the likes of Guy and the other three have probably been fighting extremely difficult opponents for years or even decades.

Even if they lose the battle I doubt they'd be just speedbumps.

So question do we know what power level these version of the Guardians are at when the are taking things seriously and going all out because i dont know if Mr.zoat has ever said?

I know that more then a few times in the comic they are under the warf effect and other times they are bullshit powerful

Since Mr.zoat has maltus in this story i was wondering are their any Maltusian/Controllers/Guardians that have specialized in Combat instead of science like most do

So question do we know what power level these version of the Guardians are at when the are taking things seriously and going all out because i dont know if Mr.zoat has ever said?

I know that more then a few times in the comic they are under the warf effect and other times they are bullshit powerful

Since Mr.zoat has maltus in this story i was wondering are their any Maltusian/Controllers/Guardians that have specialized in Combat instead of science like most do

Renegade mentioned that they're able to destroy planets using their willpower.

10th September 2012
Guy is treating this as cops and robbers. Paul is treating it as international politics.

Be interesting to know if the Guardians actually have anything to do with this. By the sound of it Guy and some other Lanterns decided that This Will Not Stand on their own initiative.

Tgere was that comic of the Ophidian telling Larfleeze that he has spent so much time in the Orange that he doesn't really need his ring to control stuff anymore.

Perhaps the Ring is the Personal Lantern? We already know that Central Batteries can be any size so if the Lantern and Rings work why not?

And how does a Ring, an object, made of an Elementary Color 'run out' of energy? It's made of the stuff so if it really hit zero wouldn't it disappear?

Larfleeze used the Orange Central Power Battery as his personal battery.

And that's a damn good question, which is why unlike Zoat I don't like that interpretation.

Especially since by DC canon the rings can be charged with different energies, including different emotional energy.

Do we know what atrocious is doing at this time? because i know the Renegade made a Red ring which you think he would notice since he does use blood magic for Prophecy/Divination/Scying and portals but i know hes a thing in the Red paul path so i was wondering if anyone knows if Mr.zoat has said anything about him in the two Main Paths

Alas Guy has a habit of defaulting to the chowderhead school of thought.
Just be grateful powergirl isn't here or his IQ would drop like a stone and he'll be making bazoomba comments knowing full well it pisses her off.

Welp. The Guardians are clearly trying to trigger a war, aren't they? Guy hasn't a diplomatic bone in his body...
It's not war it's a police action and the Guardians don't really care, hell I think some of them intentionally removed their ability to care.

Do we know what atrocious is doing at this time? because i know the Renegade made a Red ring which you think he would notice since he does use blood magic for Prophecy/Divination/Scying and portals but i know hes a thing in the Red paul path so i was wondering if anyone knows if Mr.zoat has said anything about him in the two Main Paths

Zoat once mentioned that Atrocitus may show up in year 6.

If this is still true then I guess he's either still imprisoned or is hiding and building up his power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back