1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The Source/Presence is a multiverse level being responsible for everything in the DC multiverse.

Relyt33 likes this.
  2. fappingtoyourpost

fappingtoyourpost Know what you're doing yet?

When I saw that picture of nabu my first thought was marvel zombies, and these interactions aren't making me feel that any less.

Cuchulin, Relyt33 and Vorian like this.
  3. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

4. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

For those who didn't read Books of Magic, that guy was even more of an asshole.

Worshipped by a cult, he would have one of his cultists put on the helmet when he felt like getting some murder on.

Gave up caring about order or chaos only to embrace nihilistic hedonisms, which is odd since the Nabu from Books of Magic would be about 14.5 billion years old in the present day, because he was made by the presence just shortly after the creation of the universe.

So giving up on a cause he found worthy for the entire history of the universe only to fall towards cynicism seems odd, narratively.

That would be like the Ophidian retiring to be a Buddhist nun because greed was just so yesterday.

5. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

What, exactly, created the DC multiverse (ignoring N52 and onwards anyway) is a bit up in the air, but we do have a list of most likely contenders.

1. The Source/Presence, who basically acts as a stand in for the biblical god and is the one most people argue for. There are several things that go against the idea of them being DC's "Supreme Being", but there are also several statements that say that they totally are.

2. The Overmonitor/Overvoid, which basically acts as a weird meta... thing that if it did have a hand in creating the multiverse it was totally accidental. Or you can take that one comic where The Presence (indirectly) claimed to have been made by it as canon. Which makes no sense because The Overmonitor didn't even know things other than itself could exist until it randomly stumbled across the multiverse one day and was freaked the fuck out by it, but whatever. It would basically act as a bit of an Azathoth type of creator god if it made the multiverse.

3. The Brothers, like Someguy Somewhere mentioned, who were from (one of) the Marvel vs DC series and pretty much just wanted to kick each other's teeth in or whatever. Not very likely to be them, but who knows?

4.Retconn, who are a corporation that goes around hijacking realities so they can sell the footage they capture of them for profit. Almost certainly not them since all they did was take over the multiverse for a short little while, but they do seemingly exist above even The Overmonitor, so that would potentially make them God3, which I find neat.

5.Superman (and maybe the rest of The League to some degree). Maybe. There's a bunch of meta stuff that goes into this, but basically Superman has enough ontological/narrative weight (just think of that in the sense of reality really, really liking Superman existing) to just restart the whole DC multiverse, even if he and everything in it are totally wiped from existence retroactively, which has happened before, arguably making Superman the "real" Supreme Being of DC. Interestingly, The Overmonitor thinks Superman is the most powerful thing that exists in DC, which may or may not also include stuff like The Source and New Gods, and is seemingly at least a bit scared of him.

There's probably more that I've missed, but honestly this is both too long and enough of a mess already, so have fun with my nonsense.

6. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

Okay... do different universes have different New Gods? Like an Earth 16 Darkseid and an Earth 10 Darkseid? And if so, do these parallel New Gods worship the same Source, or their own specific branch of the Source?

7. Assblaster5000

In the comics and all other official DC media New Gods exist outside of standard spacetime, so they're multiverse beings that exist in a much higher dimension than basically everything else, baring certain exceptions that are usually even higher up. In Zoat's canon they're specific to the universe they come from, so Darksied in Universe-16 is not the Darksied in Universe-12.

The New Gods are divided into two factions (no clue if any New Gods exist that aren't at least nominally a part of said factions), that being New Genesis, ruled by High Father, who are the "good guys" of the New Gods, though they're honestly just the lesser of two evils for the most part, and worship The Source.

The other faction is Apokolips, ruled by Darksied, who generally speaking the closest they get to worship is towards Darksief himself, mostly being more into science than theology, and they're just flat out the worst, with Apokolips being basically a second, sci-fi themed Hell. I suppose an argument can be made that they sort of worship The Anti-Life Equation, and in some stories The Anti-Life is a split off part of The Source, but they don't really do organized religion outside of doing whatever Darksied says (and that doesn't really count I'd argue) to the best of my knowledge.

Lord Ernest and Cuchulin like this.
  8. Michael Vonica

But I thought that New God powers were all Source derived, regardless of the particular New God's origin, alignment, or religious practice.

Cuchulin likes this.
  9. Assblaster5000

Most of them are, though outliers like The Omega Effect exist, it's just that Darkseid, and Apokolips by extension, doesn't care.

lordtundra and Cuchulin like this.
  10. Michael Vonica

Well, that's most of what I wanted to know. Thank you.

11. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Not quite. The current main comics continuity has all deities be part of a multiversal Sphere of the Gods. That is not true in all DC media, nor was it true in New Earth or Pre-Crisis cosmology, and so I'd be damned surprised if the YJ cartoon pulls that multiversal New Gods thing.

A comics sequel of the JL cartoon had WW meet a Darkseid who was in love with his reality's WW but when he tried to master the Anti-Life Equation it killed everything in the universe but Darkseid because that ALE was a real evil prick. But again the JL cartoon takes place in another multiverse that predates that concept from the comics. As an example.

Darkseid seemed to be a singular multiversal entity in the Smallville comics, but since the Smallville comics had a different multiverse that multiversal Darkseid is probably a different multiversal Darksied than that of Prime Earth continuity.

Vorian, Cuchulin and Assblaster5000 like this.
  12. Assblaster5000

Ah, there are multiple canon multiverses in DC now?

How... Wonderful.

Cuchulin likes this.
  13. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Hi! Welcome to the Multiverse! Where everything is cannon and everything is fiction and the only deciding factor is your perspective.

14. Assblaster5000

No thank you sir, I'm feeling too unwell from all the comic books to start talking about the lore of The Elder Scrolls series.

Vorian, Cuchulin and Doccer like this.
  15. Threadmarks: Past Participant (part 8)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

16th September 2012
    12:45 GMT -6

Dodge shield low power shot chain fire.

Kara disappears, complying with my suggestion to avoid incoming fire extremely swiftly. My construct barrier goes up and then shatters almost immediately, but it appears to have soaked all of the attack. My railgun round hits Demon Nabu squarely in the forehead, causing his head to jerk back and the white mist rising from his eye holes to momentarily stop flowing.

I can't immediately think of any manifestations of demonic magic that involve golden lightning. It's not theurgy -that's a different shade- but instead looks far more like the colour of our Nabu's ankhs. Order magic? Can demons use order magic? I wouldn't have.. thought so-.

"I can't stop him! Please, help me!"

"Sir, I appreciate that this is distressing, but I've fought Lords of Order before. Any information you can give me-."

"He said if I put him on-. Put him on quick that I'd be able to-. My son, Jules, he found-. Oh God!"

He found the helmet and put it on. His father agreed to put it on so that Nabu would save his son from his injuries, but he was already dead and then Nabu was in the driving seat.

"Sir, is there anyone else here? We can evacuate-."

"Magic.. draining."

"Oh, what a world, what a world."

"But simple to-"

I shoot him in the forehead again, but this time an odd… Squiggle appears over his forehead before it strikes home. His head jerks back from the impact, but the glow from his eyes remains the same as he levels his head at me.

"-neutralise."

How did-? Did he just drain power from the enchantment on the round while it was in motion? I mean, sure, I dialled down the power quite a bit so the kinetic force didn't take his head off at the neck, but that's quick.

"The binding is interesting but the spell is weak. It is a simple matter for me to-."

"Drain it right back, yes yes. Clever, but hard-"

This time I fire an angel feather round.

"-ly incomprehensible."

The mandala forms again, but this time his right arm glows as well as it blurs to interpose itself, catching the round in Mike's bare hand. That would hurt, unless he's using a physical reinforcement spell of some kind.

"Angel magic? Is there nothing you won't do?"

"I have decided what I value the most, and am willing to give up everything else to obtain it if that turns out to be necessary."

Extra railgun, spread them out, load solid rounds, prepare assimilation tendrils, fire!

Demon Nabu waves, lightning blocking the metal slugs that I aimed at his head while the tendrils are… Being neutralised just before they can touch the shield causing them to be neutralised.

"I am ancient, Lantern. Do you believe there is anything that you can do-"

I increase power, strands of orange power scrabbling for purchase against his aura.

"-against a being such as-"

There's a click as Kara closes the collar of the suppression chain around his neck from behind him.

"-me?"

His defensive aura winks out and Kara gets away from him just before his helmet is enveloped in orange.

"You tell us."

Kara darts out of the way. "Or you could not tell us. I don't really want to listen to you."

"I'm sorry, Kara, but I was referring to myself and the Ophidian."

Demon Nabu pulls himself up slightly at the name, as orange light begins to invade the structure of his helmet.

"Heard of her, I take it?"

"The Great Tempter. The serpent of the Garden of Eden."

"Temptress, and I'm not convinced about Eden at all. So: tell us everything we want to know and accept subordinating yourself to Mike there, or I have her eat you."

"And eat him."

"She can be surprisingly discerning when she puts her mind to it."

"You think yourself a hero, do you?"

"I think myself the man with the giant snake plugged into his soul."

"This chain stops me drawing power from Order or Chaos, or even from the thaumosphere of this miserable planet."

"Tested it on our Nabu. He couldn't break out, either."

He reaches up and tugs at it, but the chain is unyielding. The orange light is now covering his helmet in a wire frame, fragments of rust-gunk flaking off as it spreads.

"Mike?"

"Yeah?"

"Take me off, Mike."

Their arms drop.

"No!"

"Take me off, Mike."

Their arms start to rise, then Mike pulls them back down.

"OhGodnonono!"

Construct chains snap into place, binding all four limbs to a base plate construct. He's… Stronger than his muscle mass suggests, but I've tried this on Kon and Nabu is nowhere near that strong.

"Take me off, Mike! Take me off."

"Nnnnuuuuurrrrghhhh!"

Kara darts forward and punches him in the head. Presumably pulling the blow, given that his head doesn't explode. Their body jerks against my construct chains, but Nabu appears unfazed.

"Come on, Mike. Don’t you just want this to be-?"

My mage slayer round hits him in the forehead, making his eyes blink out. Then Kara punches him again, and he lolls in my chains.

"Nabu of Cilia, you belong to the Orange Lantern Corps."

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This Nabu said that he wasn't a demon.

He was probably just driven crazy after Hell won in his universe.

Hmm, maybe some magic user or theurgist discovered about the Ophidian and what she represents and later on the guy that wrote the story of Eden included her in it.

'limbs to'

Hmm, maybe Mike was reluctant to let go because he thought he could still see his son, or Nabu showed him what he does to the ones that take him off and Mike doesn't want that to happen to him.

Well he may have lost a useful construct, but he got an even better one.

17. Assblaster5000

Might flow better as 'involves' but it's hardly incorrect give the rest of the sentence.

'jerks'

18. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I suppose that would be too easy. Also, I like that line from Paul about doing everything in his power to get what he wants.

And suddenly, his sense of superiority has been proven to be false.

He just realizes that he bit off more than he could chew. Wonder how he would have fought if he knew what he was up against from the beginning?

Trying to do one last evil act out of spite. How typically demonic.

Okay. I was saddened by the loss of the hellwraith, but having a Lord of Order at Paul's beck and call is definitely a good trade off. I hope Paul keeps him for as long as possible and doesn't off him like in the Renegade timeline, since who knows what kind of magical knowledge is in his memories.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe change this so it's a bit further in time, like say '12:45' or something like that, since in the previous chapter it was '12:41' and they had a conversation which would have lasted several minutes.

20. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Couldn't happen to a worse version of Nabu, which is saying something considering the last guy.

21. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Mike is gonna need so much therapy.

22. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

I would be surprised if OL's trousers held out against the giant hate boner he must be sporting right now.

23. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

Don't you know? Any amount of talking only takes six seconds.

24. Z3r0Sama

Z3r0Sama Not too sore, are you?

Paul embracing his inner renegade and only a couple of years late.

25. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Probably too much power to get rid of in one shot, but it should leave Nabu with the phylactery-equivalent of a headache... Though I have the feeling finishing this fight won't be so easy as dropping a dozen hits on him...

Some demons can be quite orderly, you know. Devils even more so. Though that's largely a D&D distinction.

:eek: Shit, a second hostage. Let's hope the kid isn't trapped in a fail-deadly circle or something. ...No, wait, that's despair... Looks like Nabu's already claimed at least one victim, then... :(

Dammit, this must be slamming right into OL's berserk button concerning Nabu...

Alas, I doubt he's likely to melt anytime soon...

Well, shit. Makes sense, though. Of course he'd have encountered shit like magic-breaking effects before.

Probably got some kind of haste spell working on himself, then. Time to pull out one of the big guns, then.

Talking is a free action, after all. Let's see how he copes with Theurgistic energies...

At least Nabu is working to keep his puppet whole. After all, lose the host, lose his ability to affect anything... Until he charms one of them into donning him...

Time to get eaten, skull-face...

Oh, he's clever. Benefit of, presuming he's a distant future incarnation, millions of years of combat experience.

:sneaky: But he's not so clever...

...That he can't be distracted by an obvious target. :p

This should be impressively easy. He's probably chock full of pathetic, base desires for assimilation to feed upon.

Ooh, giving his Best Snek some well-aged desires, eh? And people say he's not romantic?

Eh, wrong gender, wrong planet and probably wrong universe.

Pfft. Compared to a nice big banquet like you, why would the Ophidian even look at the after-dinner mint that is a human?

As if. OL gets shit done. :p

Yes. I bet it's been a long time since you were this weakened, hasn't it?

And dick-move last-ditch 'fuck you' incoming in 3... 2...

Wrong emotion, man... Focus, gather your will or your rage...

Don't let this tin-plated turd get away with it...

Don't underestimate a compulsion like the one Nabu's trying, OL. He'll probably make Mike break his own arms to get free...

Crap. He's losing.

No, no he does not. Even if his son is dead... Being able to give his killer the middle finger as they die is worth it.

And now Paragon has a Lord of Order Construct-Lantern. ;) I wonder if he'll be as stable as the Renegade's?

Well, then. Looks like OL just got himself quite the prize. :( Though it's no Teekl. Still, I have to wonder what Kara-1 will think after seeing that? I mean... I'm assuming she can even grasp just what happened, but I can't help but I imagine she'd have objections to what is basically slavery of the soul. Not that it couldn't happen to a shittier person, but still. o_O On the other hand, would she even consider him to be a person, given her rather uneven-seeming morality. Guess we'll see.

26. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think there was one DC comic in which a guy summons a bunch of demons in order to uphold the law, but they get out of control.

Even if he's as old as Nabu 16, around 7000 years old, he'd still be ancient.

He may think Nabu can bring him back, which he could be capable of doing, and is desperate, or he thinks taking off the Helmet would kill him, which it may.

Probably not.

Nabu 16 had his issues pre assimilation, but this one is a psychological mess.

28. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Even if this Nabu isn't strictly speaking a demon, his actions here and narrative proximity to Supergirl-666 should make it really to slot him as in one in her head.

Also, she is acting all Silver age, and those seem to be really fantastic racist. Non-humans don't get rights.
    And since OL enslaved a helmet instead of a flesh and blood person, she probably would be fine with it the same way silver age superman can let loose on an robots he comes across.

29. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

Strictly speaking, he only said he hadn't claimed to be a demon.

30. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I'm sorry, he tried what exactly on Kon?

That's a bit more kinky than what we've seen about those two so far.