• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Unless we're somehow talking about a similar but somehow totally different situation I was already aware of that. But what I'm referring to at least is a law passed sometime in... I want to say the 1600s, but I'm a bit fuzzy on that part, relating to the use of "Witchcraft" to predict the future, which included predicting the weather, that wasn't repealed until sometime in the 1900s.

Edit:The video that introduced me to this random fact, and also a small correction, the anti-witchcraft act that made meteorology technically illegal was actually from the year 1735, so not the 1600s.

Edit 2:The act was also about the conjuration of things rather than predicting them, so my bad there. I'm also not sure if it actually was repealed after all.

Laws about magic are strange, especially so at 2am.
Nowadays it's just a law against defrauding people by claiming to have magic powers, IIRC.

Unless we're somehow talking about a similar but somehow totally different situation I was already aware of that. But what I'm referring to at least is a law passed sometime in... I want to say the 1600s, but I'm a bit fuzzy on that part, relating to the use of "Witchcraft" to predict the future, which included predicting the weather, that wasn't repealed until sometime in the 1900s.

Edit:The video that introduced me to this random fact, and also a small correction, the anti-witchcraft act that made meteorology technically illegal was actually from the year 1735, so not the 1600s.

Edit 2:The act was also about the conjuration of things rather than predicting them, so my bad there. I'm also not sure if it actually was repealed after all.

Laws about magic are strange, especially so at 2am.
The video doesn't make sense. Pretending to be able to predict the future was illegal, sure. But forecasters were actually able to predict the future. Therefore, they were practicing actual predictive arts, which weren't illegal. However, faking being a weather forecaster would be. The video is seemingly just wrong. So either they were considered actual wizards due to their legal definition of wizard, as Zoat says, or they weren't due to them not claiming to use magic.

"I'm a little.. nervous about it. I'm not used to trees having the capacity for judgement, and the power to follow through."
I guess Greyven hasn't interacted with Swamp Thing much at all has he.

You given any thought to becoming an alicorn?
Pretty sure she would need to be an archmage first.

So.. I doubt that some random magic… Ring? Would do anything she couldn't override with a little effort,
I mean, if the ring functions as 'eight hundred years at once' it might only need to overrule Celestia for a few moments as the stellar plasma cannon charges up and fires.
Could also have nothing to do with the sun itself and just magnify/multiply the sunlight in an area.

Don't dismiss ancient super-weapons as a threat just because your interpretation of their description doesn't sound dangerous.

So, is that what they used control the sun before Celestia took over the job of doing it all herself?

Unless the story has changed since I last heard all the details it was just a bunch of unicorns, including Star Swirl The Bearded, that did it every day before Luna and Celestia took over, which would make the rings just another of the many, many magical artifacts seemingly designed just to ruin people's days that exist in MLP.

Pretty sure she would need to be an archmage first.
No. And as a pegasus pony, she wouldn't be able to cast it anyway. She just needs an archmage to cast it.
Unless the story has changed since I last heard all the details it was just a bunch of unicorns, including Star Swirl The Bearded, that did it every day before Luna and Celestia took over, which would make the rings just another of the many, many magical artifacts seemingly designed just to ruin people's days that exist in MLP.
That was the Hearthwarming story, but it might not be historically accurate.

Ha!
So either Ahuizotl had faulty info on the whole thing, it's a pre-Celestia artifact that she can at least contest if not fully overpower, or...

I would put more stock in the pre-Celestia artifact. Someone had to control the sun before Celestia was around and this may have been there attempt to automate the process rather then use the kid-friendly, Unicorn version of human sacrifice. Which is kinda strange since the whole place reminds me of Aztecs buildings.

Personally never understood the threat of 800 years of Sweltering Heat. I'm Texan, I live in Texas, sweltering heat describes 10/12 months of the year, with the last 2 months, fluctuating weekly between freezing cold or more sweltering heat.

That was the Hearthwarming story, but it might not be historically accurate.

While that's true, this is essential a Christmas story that includes daily human sacrifice. I will acknowledge that they wouldn't be the first civilization that tried to control the sun. But the fact that the human sacrifice is still apart of the story even after it's been altered through the years maybe the grain of truth in a made up story.

Last edited:
God dammit. There's a certain flow that gets interrupted with this My Little Pony stuff. It's just not my scene.
It's funny, even though I read a 2 million word MLP fanfic in a little over a week last month, I still sort of agree that there's some mood whiplash with the actual Pony world scenes. Didn't feel like that when it was just Sunset, and when it's full arcs there it's also fine, but just one off chapters feel a little weird sometimes.

I would put more stock in the pre-Celestia artifact. Someone had to control the sun before Celestia was around

Or maybe no one controlled the sun before Celestia came along and it functioned like the one in our world, but then Discord did something to it and Celestia needed to control it.

Personally never understood the threat of 800 years of Sweltering Heat. I'm Texan, I live in Texas, sweltering heat describes 10/12 months of the year, with the last 2 months, fluctuating weekly between freezing cold or more sweltering heat.

Two words: Global Warming.

And all the things that it brings with it, like icecaps melting, environmental damage, extinction of animal species, disease etc.

Dangit. Now all this talk of magical trees makes me wonder about the nature of Yggdrasil in Earth-16. My guess is that it's probably a giant world-sized tree that threads through the Dreaming and it's adjacent realms.

If you see Dream himself being lazy under a tree is not an ordinary tree.

Even if it is the new Dream aka his son.

Two words: Global Warming.

And all the things that it brings with it, like icecaps melting, environmental damage, extinction of animal species, disease etc.

That's a fair point, if all the ice on Earth melted and never refrozen then about 80% of Texas would be under water again. We're a stubborn lot but I don't think I need to explain the futility in firing buckshot into the ocean to stop it from rising.

I hadn't considered the environmental impacted on plants and animals. I guess I'm to used to the robustness of cacti, weeds, and livestock.

Admittedly I don't quite get the disease part.

That's a fair point, if all the ice on Earth melted and never refrozen then about 80% of Texas would be under water again. We're a stubborn lot but I don't think I need to explain the futility in firing buckshot into the ocean to stop it from rising.

I hadn't considered the environmental impacted on plants and animals. I guess I'm to used to the robustness of cacti, weeds, and livestock.

Global warming= more mosquitoes, more mosquitoes more of mosquito driven diseases like malaria and dengu fever.

Probably other factors too, but that's the simple version.

High temperatures speed the process of rotting, and also provides optimal conditions for bacterial reproduction.

Also as previously mentioned, all those dead things make for many corpses. Being near a corpse is obviously not great.

First would be mass migration from the coasts, which would carry conflict and disease with it.

Krummkreuz (supplementary, Renegade Option)
16th September 2012
13:44 GMT -7

"Yeah, that's a… Giant pile of rubble alright."

I nod, which is a decidedly difference experience now that I'm back in pony form to try and avoid terrifying the locals. There isn't much they could do against me physically, but I have a vague recollection that Wilsonian trolls can be killed with soap and my resilience doesn't stop me from tasting soap if it gets in my mouth. Soap from civilisations at this level of technology is some pretty nasty stuff, and I don't want to be attacked by scrubbing brushes.

"It's a fortress!"

Ah…

I try hard to see it. And… Yes, those look like carved stones, but whatever smashed it made it virtually impossible to tell what shape it used to have.

I give Miss Dash a sceptical look. She meets it, then looks at the rubble pile.

"It was a fortress."

"Yeah. Okay. The rings?"

"They were inside. Except-." She darts off and then stops, studying the ground. "It was…" She darts right and then swoops down, landing on the ground.

I walk over. "Yes?"

"Daring Do and me got the biggest ring out of the fortress so it couldn't be used."

"Out of…" I pointedly look at the rubble pile. "The 'fortress'?"

"Yeah-. Okay, they probably couldn't have used it after the fortress fell apart and the plinth disintegrated, but we-." She frowns. "I didn't really think about it at the time."

"Are you thinking about it now?"

"Yeah. Look."

I look. She's pointing with her right forehoof at… Pieces of broken pottery with gold… Coating on…

I lift them up and fuse the broken segments back into a ring. I can't tell if there's any sort of residual magic here, but I'd guess not. Low quality enchanted objects like this tend to lose power if they're this badly broken, but Sunset might be able to get something out of it.

I don't think there are any enchantments you could put on a ring like this that could control the sun.

"Now do you believe me?"

"I'm perfectly happy to accept that you and… Is Daring Do a doctor of archaeology?"

"No."

"Miss Do got into a fight here. Clearly, you knew where this ring was before we arrived. But… I'm not seeing anything that proves the whole 'control the sun' thing. Was it just this ring?"

"No. There were a whole pile of rings. That's just the biggest."

"Okay. Where are the rest?"

From the way she glances awkwardly at the pile of rubble, I think I can guess.

"They kinda got… Crushed."

Hm.

"Okay, look, I understand that you're an elite athlete, but how the heck did you do that to an actual stone fortress? Explosive decompression? Can you make pressure differentials strong enough to break stone? Because if you can, Tempest's going in completely the wrong direction with her training."

"No? It just kinda fell apart once we got the last ring off."

"Huh." I frown thoughtfully. "That's interesting."

"It is?"

"It implies that the rings are some sort of regulator system, and that the spell was bound into the structure of the fortress. Without the rings, the spell itself tore the building apart."

"Soo… You believe me?"

"I didn't disbelieve your claim to have adventured with Daring Do, I just disputed your belief that this place could have done anything to the sun." I shake my head. "This is a lot easier in systems like mine."

"What do you mean, 'systems'?"

I generate a massively oversimplified model of the Sol system.

"The sun is huge, and the planets move around it due to a combination of momentum and gravitational attraction. No deific involvement is necessary."

Rainbow Dash stares at the system. Then she cranes her neck to stare a little closer. Then she narrows her eyes so that she can… Cut down the glare?

"I don't… I don't get it."

"Most worlds don't have someone like Celestia or Luna to push celestial bodies around. Much as 'wild weather' is in fact normal weather -though props to the Equestrian Weather Service's advertising department, that's some impressive need-generation-through-reframing there- so the arrangement Wilson has where Celestia and Luna manage the movement of the sun and moon is in fact highly abnormal."

Miss Dash can't seem to keep her eyes off the slowly rotating planet.

"So who moves it?"

"Who makes weather in the Everfree?"

"No-. One…" Her eyes widen, then she blinks. "Whow. So it just… Moves?"

"Most star systems are like this. Wilson is a bit of an oddity. It-."

Her eyes are slightly unfocused and her head is tilting slightly to the left. Ah… Luna's going to be annoyed if I break one of Twilight's coterie.

I dismiss the construct, causing her to blink and refocus. "Breathe, my little pony, breathe."

"I'mokay!" She shakes her head and regains her focus. "I'm okay. It just moves. Okay, sure, why not?"

I wave off the dart drone that had appeared behind her.

"I suspect Discord is the reason why this system is as it is, and obviously neither Celestia nor Luna knew that this arrangement wasn't the usual way to do things when they took control."

"And they've… Just been going and going ever since. So…" She glances at the rubble hillock. "What's that got to do with this place?"

"Nothing directly. Though if it could control the sun in some way… We could give Celestia a day off."

"Yeah, but…" She flaps a little way off the ground and gestures to the rubble. "It's kinda been destroyed."

"Do you remember the internal dimensions?"

"Ah… Some of them." She manages a small smile. "They actually had a piranha pit. Classic!"

"In that case, you and I need to redraw as much of the design as we can. While we're doing that, I'll have the genomorphs go through the rubble and try and make some sense of it. Once we've got some idea of what we're doing, I can have the genomorphs start rebuilding."

"You're going to rebuild it? Why? The thing they put all the rings on turned to dust after we took them off."

"Because I'm interested in the core spell. This…" I wiggle the ring back and forth. "Isn't exactly impressive, but it worked. With the sort of techniques at my disposal, I could easily have something better made, but I need to know what the spell it was directing did first."

"I get it. The only way you can find out is if the fortress is in one piece. And then Princess Celestia can have her first day off in a thousand years." She nods. "Let's get started."

Last edited:
"Most worlds don't have someone like Celestia or Luna to push celestial bodies around

Though they do have gods that may do that, but those gods aren't necessarily required for the sun and moons to move, while on Wilson they are.

The thing they pull all the rings on turned to dust after we took them off."

'thing they put'

And the Princess Celestia

'then Princess Celestia'

Man I hope Renegade meets Ahuizotl who explains why he does what he does, and the whole Sun for 800 years was actually a desperate last ditch protocol thing.

heck I would actually think Renegade might (rightfully)assume the reason Ahuizotl does what he does is because it's his JOB. Because that seems like something they would assume.

I have a vague recollection that Wilsonian trolls can be killed with soap and my resilience doesn't stop me from tasting soap if it gets in my mouth. Soap from civilisations at this level of technology is some pretty nasty stuff, and I don't want to be attacked by scrubbing brushes.
Your resilience might not prevent you from tasting soap, but your power ring should (I remember Paragon making things taste like blackcurrant to himself), unless the resilience means he can't even do that with his ring (which seems a bit unfair- the ring is a tool of his so it should be subordinate to his desires and drives, especially once Hinon unlocked the propriety function).

unless the resilience means he can't even do that with his ring (which seems a bit unfair- the ring is a tool of his so it should be subordinate to his desires and drives, especially once Hinon unlocked the propriety function).

I don't remember if she did that either renegade, but even if she did it may not matter what his desires are since his divine nature would automatically resist any changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back