1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Unless that's a British thing remove the 've.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

3. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

So, Ellie got redeemed and there's no reason you couldn't do the same for Demon John. Will could work. He certainly got a shit start through no fault of his own.

4. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Or Anger. He got plenty of that.

Hm. Did he actually murder the guy whose face he took? Seems like they made some sort of deal.

Also, time jump. We're not getting to see the Smiley/Paul boss fight, do we?

5. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Might not have even been a fight. I suspect some sort of instant take-down of Paul and next we see of him he'll be somewhere he needs to escape from.

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I doubt Paul would be willing to help him since so far he's just hurt people and he may not want to make him more powerful.

I think he made a deal with someone else.

7. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Well, there's a mood whiplash. Here we were, expecting all hell to break loose on OL and Alan's heads... And we suddenly find ourselves inside the Demon Constantine's head. I'm guessing this will be Important at some point, then.

So... He somehow tore himself out of Belle Reve and 'respawned' here, naked as the day John was born?

Well, there's an awkward loophole, indeed. Though it looks like you'd have to be both a demon and sneaky as hell to take advantage of it.

Crafty bastard, ain't he? Must be the Constantine in him.

Gee, couldn't happen to a nastier guy.

Pants would be a good start. :p Otherwise you'll be up on indecent exposure charges right quick.

Hmm... Now who could he mean by that, I wonder? John Quinn? Sounds like he's a little worried, doesn't he?

And more evidence that John's done a literal runner from this Earth, perhaps?

And unlike John, it might well empower him a little, being a demon and all...

Ah, he's going to try and contact an old infernal friend, huh? Well, not a friend - Demon, after all - but someone he can exploit...

A potent material, after all. The only other option is a little hard to be tidy with, after all.

Yeah, I can't imagine he doesn't have enemies, both John's and those he's made for himself.

On the other hand, you're practically in the middle of nowhere. Who you expect to be out here, I don't know.

Which would be kind of torturous. So exhausted you can't do anything, but incapable of dying from it?

Given that Ghiata or Dame Carol would have nothing to do with a demon, that Violet light can only be one person...

Chantinelle. One of human John's few demonic friends. And sort of a demi-elemental thanks to OL's help.

Heh, yeah. Be an arse, that'll make her want to help you...

Guessing they don't exactly have the best of relationships, then.

Completely true. But he can develop new quirks, surely.

Well, that's different. Memories of Kit Ryan coming in handy, eh?

Or failing that, a spell for pants? Seriously, how has he not learnt something like that before?

And one she is going to want to hear, I think. Preferably once you're clothed.

No, merely looking like a flasher.

Interesting. Over nine months ago. And no-one thought to let OL know about him disappearing? Oh, right, OL did get told. Surprised he didn't try harder to find him, though...

Damn smart. Demon or not, he's still a Constantine.

So, The Demon Constantine's been in the wild for months, and no-one noticed? Either he's been keeping his head down, or Chantinelle made it a project to try and reform him somehow. Thought I'm not sure how this will come into play in the rest of the episode. I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings.

...that would sear a saint's ears at everyone...

...back up the hierarchy in Hell...
    -or British street magicians- if they can help it.

Last edited: May 26, 2022
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Of course not.

He's a Constantine and is thus prone to having bad relationships with people.

He's also the worst parts of Constantine.

Paul has known about this for some time.

I'm guessing that thing with Kit may have been her attempt to reform him with the power of love.

Last edited: May 26, 2022
  9. Mr Zoat

Time rewind, actually.
    No, you will. I mean, it's basically this entire story as the SI tries to change things and Smiley reaches out with a thousand hands to stop him, but yes.
    Thank you, corrected.

10. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Mr Zoat, if this leads to Elle the Love Elemental getting killed and Demon!Constantine working covertly for the Prince of the World, I will be very cross with you.

It is just… Her getting killed (or getting her soul drained by a demon) while slowly redeeming herself is SUCH a Hellblazer move that I think you’ll do it. It’d hurt me, my feelings.

11. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That should say 'an'.

12. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Don't worry, I wouldn't bring back a character just to kill them off. I'm still annoyed about Robo SG1.

If I kill someone, it will be after giving you plenty of time to get used to them being around.

13. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

So Smiley is Paul's arch-nemesis? Truggs is going to be very jealous:sneaky:

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paul came to a similar realization in Heaven.

Truggs and Luthor were his dark mirrors, but Smiley was his true opposite.

15. Baladar

Baladar Know what you're doing yet?

Boss Smiley likely did some sort of reality warping thing. So we might have seen the entire fight.

Cuchulin likes this.
  16. IndigoAbyss

IndigoAbyss Isaac of the Abyss

Yo, sorry for changing the subject, but can anyone give me the link to the chapter where Paul is in the Avenger's Earth's mightiest hero universe, the one where Paul explains to Captain America that he was frozen?

ChestBurster and Ardy like this.
  17. Mr Zoat

Here.

18. IndigoAbyss

IndigoAbyss Isaac of the Abyss

Thanks man, appreciate it.

19. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

Thank you! I was so excited at the beginning of that episode and solo pissed off at the end. I have a sneaking suspicion they write that episode to shut fans up.

Man, I still miss Teelk.

20. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

Well that just happened... This sent me down a rabbit hole of rereading the entire angel business and only stopping after his talk with Hades. Very enjoyable experience catching back up on past events.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  21. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Is there... a repository that has summaries of all the episodes and chapters somewhere that I've missed?

Is that the wiki thing that I've been ignoring for 6+ years?

ChestBurster, Ardy and Bud-E like this.
  22. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

That'd do it.

Yes. Yes it is.

It's kind of... not complete, though.

Hasn't been 6+ years, though. Only a little over 4.

23. Threadmarks: Dear John (part 13)
    Mr Zoat

6th January 2012
    07:30 CTZ

Clothes bought from a tramp. The other diners are giving me dirty looks, but all Elle has to do is meet their eyes and they turn away, feeling guilty about getting irritated about what is clearly a nice Christian act of charity.

John didn't mind owing people. I'm a demon, and right now I'm on the wrong end of this transaction.

"What happened in Fawcett City, John?"

Well there's no point in lying, is there?

"Satanus gave me a job offer. He was trying to get made King of Hell, needed to convince the rest of the demon upper crust to go along with it."

"And so you tried to murder an entire city?"

Bit rich her coming on all high and mighty, but they haven't served breakfast yet.

"So I helped him do something he was going to do anyway, only a bit more subtly than he was originally planning. And I got out of Hell, which made it all worth while."

"You don't like Hell?"

No harm in explaining, I suppose.

"How long was I down there, before I became a demon?"

"Oh. Not long enough."

"Yeah. When John made me, he used his own demon-tainted blood to hold me together. Nergal's blood. Which let me use Hell's magic but doesn't exactly make me a native. And then his plan was for me to bind the soul of some damned arsehole to me and dump all the torment on him. Which worked just fine until some bastard did a séance and summoned him up. And then it hit me."

She doesn't look impressed.

"We all go through that. Even the ones who used to be angels had to fall and burn and suffer before they adjusted."

"Doesn't make it right."

Her eyes dip, and she's thinking about… Well, probably hundreds of things. What happened with Tali first of all.

John kept his empathy, but I don't actually enjoy people suffering. Not if I don't already hate them. She does, or… Did.

"What happened to you, anyway?"

"You want to know why I ended up in Hell? I barely remember."

"The violet thing. You don't feel like yourself."

"John and the Orange Lantern offered me power as a bribe to stay out of their way. It changed me. I'm not even really a succubus any more."

Huh. Possible, I suppose. Converting one type of power into another. That's basically what becoming a demon involves, but…

"How?"

"A spell focused through a piece of crystallised love. So you're out of luck."

"Why's that, then?"

"It was my love for Tali that let it work. They can't just grab a demon and change them, or they would already have done. If John gave you all his worst characteristics -and I can barely believe that there was anything left- then there's no way that-."

"I've been in love."

I mostly say it because I don't like people saying that I'm limited. Yeah, yeah, that’s the only reason why I said it. Having the ability to feel human emotions mostly removed isn't something I've ever learned to live with. I don't have John's ability to read people because I can't really empathise with most things regular people feel. Which means that I only understand total bastards and him.

But I repeat meself.

"Why would John have given you any of his memories he actually liked?"

"Because it was the only way to convince me to kill meself and complete the ritual. If I didn't feel any affection for anyone I'd have told him to fuck off."

"I know John's girlfriends. Which one?"

"Kit Ryan, if you must know."

We've been leaning towards each other, and we both lean back as the waiter appears with our breakfasts. I'm playing up the homeless angle with a full fry up while Elle's just having bacon and eggs. He doesn't look at me more than he has to in order to aim the plate at the table, but his gaze lingers on Elle and she gets a warm smile.

She nods.

"Thank you."

"No problem ma'am. Enjoy your breakfast."

I've already gotten scrambled egg and fried slice on my fork and into my mouth. They hadn't quite worked out how to feed us at Belle Reve, and for a demon like me it's not just about shoving fuel down my throat. This egg was freshly cracked, and destroying chicken ovum is ritualistically empowering.

The waiter heads back to the counter and I lean forward again, mantling my food and keeping knife and fork going all the while.

"Have you seen her?"

"What?"

"Since you got back on Earth. Have you visited her?"

"Oh yeah, she'll be dead pleased to see me."

Him. Just another reason it pisses me off, really. I haven't actually had a relationship with her. She's literally the only person I could even think of being involved with. If I-.

But if Satanus is in prison… And I'm on Earth. People are looking for me, but dodging-. Most of them's easy enough.

"You know… They could do for you what they did for me."

"Doesn't seem likely."

But it could. More to the point, I've got John's memories of people back on the other side of the Atlantic. I know spells that'll let me… Absorb parts of John from the environment. Become… Something more like a whole person, even if the new parts are made of John.

Cheryl's back over there. And the other one's not going to care about her.

"She might."

John doesn't need his life or his messes any more. And if he doesn't need it, I suppose I might as well take it like everything else he didn't need.

Or maybe I just want it to be true.

"She might. She might at that."

7th November 2012
    10:06 GMT -5

The old wizard stops whatever spell he was casting and grabs his headset.

"Orange Lantern? Blue Lantern?"

"Doubt they'll help, mate."

"What have you done, demon?"

"Held back things you didn't know to ask about. How about we make a deal?"

Last edited: May 27, 2022
  24. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

This is Doctor Mist he's talking about right? What headset?

ChestBurster, Doccer, mauke and 3 others like this.
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well it is Christian charity, but the one doing it isn't connected to your typical Christians.

Wait to eat and then insult the one feeding you.

"ovum is"

Fucking Constantines.

26. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Kinda confused with the timeline here.

Demon!John should be one month behind Paul and Smiley's bossfight.

But 11 months later Balewa reacts to their disappearance?

Timetravel, Balewa was frozen or maybe it was supposed to be 11 November 2011?

27. Mr Zoat

Yes.
    The one he was using to speak with the SI.
    Thank you, corrected.
    The Demon Constantine got out of prison in January, everything else is happening in November.

28. Brainwasher-Boy

Brainwasher-Boy Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

"me" should be "he" here, I think

29. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yeah, demonic life being basically a game of debt and favour. Owing another demon something gives them primal power over the debtor, after all. Fortunately, most are smart enough to realise that they aren't always going to be the one on top.

Somehow, I think she'll be able to tell if you are. But then, not lying doesn't always mean the whole truth, does it?

True, that is a bit damning. Especially to someone who's kind of not-evil anymore.

What he did was subtle? I can't imagine how much more blatant his original plan was.

No-one likes Hell, even the beings borne of it.

Given it usually takes years, if not centuries, for mortals to either repent, dissolve into nothingness or evolve into a Demon...

I suppose he had to get loose the first time somehow.

Nor pleasant.

Tali being the angel she fell in love with. Kind of an odd name, I would have expected 'Taliel' or similar...

Suggesting she is hella-old for a succubus...

Well, not in the classical concept. She still gets by on Love. Just doesn't need mortal life-force anymore, though.

Just a little trickier with unconventional energies like the Emotional Spectrum.

Consider what got her in trouble in the first place, mate. Love has no place in Hell. Dreams, yes, Love, no.

Amusingly, they technically have done that, with Angelica Blaze and Gabriel's Wings. Sure, half-demon, but still.

Heh, there's that Constantine self-loathing coming through.

Then again, I don't doubt he'd have left enough hooks in you to make you do it anyway. What he did was probably just the easiest way.

One of his most stable relationships, at least in the comics. Not that that's saying much.

Though I suspect he's not exactly looking at her face, I bet.

Gee, how pleasant.

Let me guess: Violet light encouraging a bit of the matchmaker in her?

I suspect the first thing she'd do if she ever saw John's face again would be to punch his nose in. And then stick the boot in lower while he's on the ground.

But the few that you can't dodge... :rolleyes: Just like John. Good enough is good enough, huh?

Especially since they don't have a handy piece of emotional crystal anymore, what with the Star Sapphire in lockdown (or back in the Zamaron's hands by now.)

All the worst bits, eh? Including all the self-loathing and doubts...

And he might well let you, because you'd be good bait.

Which is where he started the whole 'dating the ex' plan. So he wasn't actually up to anything nasty right then...

Ah, back to the big moment of the grinning devil's reveal, eh?

Oh, don't tell me...

Let me guess, you go free and back to your girl (not that she'll have you,) and you'll give Doctor Mist everything you know about him.

So, then. I wonder how much he had to do with the smiling fellow, hmm? Though he ought to know that he's going to be neck-deep in the smelly stuff if he reveals anything... And hopefully, we get to see what's actually going on that's got the good Doctor here so worried. :sneaky: Ooh, could we see an appearance by the wandering Prez, then?

...and we both lean back as the waiter appears with our breakfasts.

30. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Paul might still have it. I know he lent it to the alternate Carol Ferris, but she may have given it back.