1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Not too sore, are you?

Given the date on the Tablet? I'm calling the bad place "The Plantation ".
    So is Boss Smiley meant as the Dark Mirror Uncle Sam? And are we getting elements of American Gothic (Moore's original Constatine Arc on Swamp Thing).

I am very interested.

2. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

Wow, sellout. You're taking product placement money now?

/Joke

I'm torn between the desire to make a joke about a certain bird themed social media platform and one with a certain long wavelength color in the name, commonly associated with blood and rage.

Also, that might count as political discussion, so I won't do either.

Last edited: May 28, 2022
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I've been using their product for years. I have received no money from them, or even free product.

The cheap bastards.

4. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

The Cracklands is Florida.

5. FourthPear

FourthPear Frequent Flier.

Florida.

edit: heh, ninja’d

6. 0zymandias

0zymandias Making the rounds.

Ngl can’t wait to see how Alan is doing, it’s always a nice pairing to see Pauls cynicism and pragmatism work with Alan’s experience and easy optimism.

7. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

Let's call this place American Dystopia Lands. Things work, but everyone suffers and is deeply unhappy. Given up the dream and accept ReAlItY.

8. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Oh boy. Journey into Darkness, though it is fitting that it reminds Paul of Bluedhaven.

TBH I can't see how discussing the worst of a country can't get at least a little political, since generally speaking people want politicians who address the country's biggest problems. To use an old punching bag scenario to avoid getting into modern politics, in the 1930's Germany Nazis thought that the worst thing about Germany was all the Jews, Roma, etc. German Jews thought the worst thing about Germany was all the anti-semitism (and post war poverty but my point is made).

Yes, New Jersey is finally getting away from that rep!

9. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Oh yeah, I forgot New Jersey existed. Home of Jay and Silent Bob.

10. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

The Hatelands?

Cuchulin, redleo37 and kerleth like this.
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Seeing as Eagle called it "the bad place", I think The Badlands would work.

12. Windona

If only it was in South Dakota...

Though I could definitely see that. Or the Vulturelands (to contrast to Eagleland, the usual joke for the US)

Cuchulin, kerleth and TopHatWearer like this.
  13. LazySloth13

LazySloth13 Versed in the lewd.

Given that Boss Smiley is involved it wouldn't be a surprise if the issue with Crimson Avenger II was apart of this too, while superheroes aren't an exclusively American idea it does heavily tie into the culture given groups like the JSA and the Justice League are primarily America based heroes. Maybe see some of the more morally dubious vigilantes pop up, altered or empowered and force to act as muscle.

I can definitely see Paul using his understanding of avarice to deal with the embodiments of maybe ruthless capitalism, greed fueled politicians, and other topics. While Alan's hope and experience can help inspire the down trodden mass to rise above their current lot, or at least lessen the burden for everyone else. Given Paul can convince a demon into reforming Hell, after some heavy alterations to their thinking, maybe turning something like the Blackheart into a less terrible place is possible.

Plus I can imagine that once Dr. Mist figure things out himself, with Demon Constantine's help, him and several heroes publicly confront the False Uncle Sam just for the real version comes forwards with Eagle on his shoulder and the missing heroes at his back. Not to mention while imprisoned he's been steadfast in his belief that he would escape but he's also been working out so he's rippling with muscles under his tattered suit.

14. Windona

As a psychopomp place, wouldn't they always reflect the worst of the US? Or is everyone saying that changing the Badlands will change the US?

15. SpiritualSlacker

SpiritualSlacker Nurse God of Mischief

Up Shit Creek. All the way up.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and redleo37 like this.
  16. Radix

Radix I trust you know where the happy button is?

I thought we already established this place was called Bludhaven ;P

Actually thats unfair. This is probably a step up from Bludhaven.

Cuchulin and Windona like this.
  17. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Is Evil Heartland based in any existing comic or media or are you world-building from scratch (and real life beliefs) Mr Zoat?

18. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I'm not Zoat nor do I play him on TV, but I do believe these badlands are a Zoat invention, I don't remember the Uncle Sam series having anything of the sort.

19. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

The Tainted Lands.

Prince Charon and Handlewithcare like this.
  20. Windona

By any chance is there a reading list for a lot of the stuff Zoat introduced? I listened to the 'How To Succeed in Evil' audiobook and read the Knight and Squire mini series because of this fic, and I constantly get curious about the DC characters introduced here that I don't recognize. (And is Captain Cornwall really only a cameo in Knight and Squire?)

Cuchulin and redleo37 like this.
  21. Mr Zoat

Mostly mine. There was a thing in Sandman where a man got dragged into the mind of a city, but I can't recall any other direct inspiration.

Edit: Sorry, talking complete shit there. It's from Hellblazer.
    Yes.

Last edited: May 28, 2022
  22. Windona

...I'll admit, I saw Captain Cornwall here and went 'What an interesting character! I can't wait to read about him, there's probably something in a JSA book about the great grandad, and maybe an Infinity Inc or Stargirl book with Rob, right?'

And then his only appearance was a cameo.

Kudos for making me really want to read more about him.

ChestBurster, Bud-E and Vorian like this.
  23. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Psychopomps don't represent the worst of things, only the end of them.

24. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Fair enough.

25. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

No, that's New Jersey. Florida is the penis (I say that as someone who lives here).

26. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

I'd rather call it compromise

From the War, I'd guess?

27. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

More like the Taintlands. Eh? Eh?

28. Threadmarks: Dear John (part 15)
    Mr Zoat

7th November 2012
    Roughly 10:16 GMT -5

"Eagle, vulture, any idea how we get back to the material world?"

The eagle's back on Alan's perch, but he's slightly hunched over and his head jerks around to stare in a new direction every few seconds. Since we have no idea where we're going Alan and I opted to take position directly above the Liberty Fountain-.

"And you don't think this is the blood of patriots and tyrants, do you?"

Alan frowns. "Patriots and-? Oh. I'm not sure that fits, thematically. Americans are supposed to be willing to bleed to see tyrants brought down, it's virtuous behavior. I think it's more likely to be the blood of innocents ground under wheels, something like that."

I turn my head to look at the vulture on my pauldron, who ruffles her wings.

"I don't usually ask where the blood comes from."

"I thought that vultures could smell corpses from a mile away."

"Corpses generally stay in one place, and by the time they're dead enough to smell the bleeding has generally stopped. Kind of why I was hanging around here, actually. If I see something bleeding this much it usually means that something is about to die and it's time to short it."

"Short it-?" Ugh. "You're the Vulture of Freedom, because in a free economy asset stripping and short selling and debt loading are viable strategies, even if they're harmful to society as a whole."

"I don’t kill things. But if they're dying anyway, why not fill my beak?"

The eagle actually perks up, staring at.. either me or the vulture.

"She is death! Death!"

Alan chuckles quietly to himself, prompting the three of us to turn and give him a funny look. He just shrugs.

"Oh, come on Paul. How many new experiences do you think I get at my age? It's not all positive, but… What was it you said? When I'm confronted by evil, I will rejoice, because when I'm done with the evil then it won't be there any more." He looks over at the city. "This place is a mess. But if it's literally the worst parts of American history made manifest… What happens when we fix it?"

"I think it's meant to be broken."

He looks a little disappointed. "Well, now. That doesn't sound like you. What happens to America if we change things around here?"

"We… Mind control an entire country, which is something I'd rather avoid doing."

He frowns. "Is that how it works?"

"This place is a representation of the American psyche, right?"

"Ah."

"Now, the influence is probably two-way at this point, so we can probably justify some improvements, but I don't want to root-and-branch the whole place."

"No, I… You're probably right. So, any idea how to get out?"

The eagle shrugs. "Normally, you find a site of spiritual significance and make a ritualistic connection. But that Prince of the World thing forced us through."

"Whow whow whow." The vulture fans out her wings and then goes rather still. "The Prince sent you here?"

Alan nods. "That's right."

"You're not getting out, then. This is his place. He controls the ways in and out."

"This is the bad place!"

Alan strokes the eagle's head in what I imagine is supposed to be a reassuring way. It doesn't appear to be helping.

"Paul, any ideas?"

"I imagine that-. Okay, before we go any further, did you read my report of my meeting with Boss Smiley?"

"Ah… Yeah, but I don't remember all the details."

"He claimed to be an arcane life form devoted to controlling humanity by limiting our development. He offered me a deal where I could develop all of the technology I want with his institutional aid but he would control what went mainstream."

"So we find him and beat him up?"

"If it were that simple I'd have already done it. He's nebulous, hard enough to pin down that even the angels weren't sure that he even really exists." Great. "At least we know who's replaced Uncle Sam; the living embodiment of political corruption. Vulture, does he actually..? Have a physical form here?"

"Maybe."

"'Maybe' as in you want something for telling us, or 'maybe' as in you don't know?"

"'Maybe' as in I'm only here so I can eat you when you die. I'm not about to share what I know about the god of my conceptual world because that sounds like a good way to have a little accident."

"Do you know Professor Demetrios Prokopios?"

"No?"

"He's the man who protects Earth's economy from people like you. Not always successfully, but well enough to keep things functioning in a nearly-sane way. He's a friend of mine. So I'm pretty sure that he'd be rather happy if I removed you as a problem."

"You can't risk it. And you don't want to mind control people."

"Ah, it's about judging the greatest risk to people. And I don't need to kill you, not when I've got an orange power ring. I can just convert you into orange light. Or brand you into compliance and then undo it once we're finished. I don't think that would cause lasting harm, but given what you are I don't think I'd mind too much if it did."

The vulture peers into my eyes for a moment, then cringes slightly. "I can respect a strong negotiating position. He's strongest at focuses of political power."

"Washington."

"The First of the Fallen used to come here, in the guise of Abraham Lincoln. He hasn't been here recently-."

"And he won't be back."

"Boss Smiley's people don't appear when he's around."

"His people?"

"I don’t know what they are, exactly. His favourites. The aspects of corruption that he likes the most."

"And what can they do?"

"Anything. This is their place. Everything here's as bad as Boss Smiley likes it to be, which is pretty bad."

Right. Conceptual realm, conceptual beings. We can… Probably only beat them by playing their game better than them.

Alan nods. "But we can get out in Washington?"

"Rule by force is a pretty normal thing, here. If you can pull it off then you've been vicious enough to demand it."

"Then I guess that's where we're going."

"Yes, but after I find out where this blood is coming from."

I angle myself to fly down, then stop when I feel Alan's hand on my shoulder.

"Ah, Paul? Maybe you shouldn't do that."

Last edited: May 29, 2022
  29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"worst parts"

Yeah, I doubt they'd risk getting destroyed

"likes it"

30. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

I remembered my password.

Second "something" should be "something's".

*thing

Last edited: May 29, 2022
    ChestBurster, Ardy, Mr Zoat and 3 others like this.