• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

So citizenship doesn't expire with death? Actually, hell is pretty awful, and everyone is always trying to get one over everyone else, so could a demon request asylum from hell? Or do immigration proceedings assume the "proper" way for a demon to enter the USA is to be summoned to earth somewhere else and then go through ordinary immigration channels like everyone else?

I nod to the police officers setting up a barricade across the road. I get a… Not entirely friendly look back. Why is-? Oh, come on. Angels mark you for death one time and suddenly you're the bad guy! Should have negotiated for a general announcement…
Seriously, OL, You need to get onto correcting that reputation loss.

Artemis is perfectly capable of covering the rear exit with glue arrows. I was going to have Raquel in reserve above the building, but that seems… Unnecessary. On the other hand, asking her where she'd prefer to be isn't how things are done.
To be honest, even a Lantern is overkill here unless something starts trouble..

I mean, given Dakota I imaged that drug trafficking right up her street.
I mean, given Dakota I imagined that drug trafficking right up her street.

If any crimes are happening in there, the presence of police is going to be more than scary enough without me crashing around.
You hope.

I head over to the desk as she smiles welcomingly-. No, invitingly at me. The desk and the seating behind it are set up to draw the eye to the receptionist's spectacular cleavage. When her eyes meet mine I surreptitiously fish my rune stone out of its pouch and glance down at it. Weakly demonic. Probably a minor infusion of essence of succubus for a cheap instant makeover and instinctive glamour, which thanks to the spell eater is doing nothing to me. Are people cutting DMN with things now? The version Satanus was handing out when we first encountered it gave far stronger effects than this. Or maybe they don't think that they need it?
I suppose it works to weaken guests' minds. Even if the 'spectacular cleavage' alone is enough to do that without magic :)

-she tries turning it up again, her right hand going for her desk telephone. I tag the phone with a filament and move it into my left hand, then take a mage slayer round out of subspace, lean forward and tap the tip of it against her forehead. The tiny runes on the round shimmer for an instant, then her chest deflates, minor instances of discolouration appear on her skin and the structure of her face becomes just a little more asymmetrical.
I'm guessing the effects are too weak to affect the mage slayer itself.

"When I say 'please don't do that', I'm not actually offering you a free choice, I'm just being British." I put the rune stone and round into an equipment pouch, because the round is now evidence. "Would you care to explain to me how you got access to demonic magic?"
Huh, conscientious.

I scan her, but I'm not seeing any weapons or vials of DMN and a quick burst of empathic vision doesn't show anything relating to fighting.
With that much yellow? I doubt it.

"Huh. Guess I assumed that you guys could do whatever."
No, that would have people up in arms over abuse of power or such.

I would action your request as you're the ranking police officer, but I would strongly advise-."
Unsure is intentional or should it be 'act on'

...I'm going to have to ask you answer a few questions.
...I'm going to have to ask you to answer a few questions.

"What? I was just getting a massage?"
He seems unsure of that...

His face falls, and he turns his head to look at his masseuse and then double-takes and scrambles off the massage table, sans towel.
Oh, yikes. I hope he was wearing underwear...

Very calm overall. So very British. Beats bashing the doors in with rams and screaming at people.

Last edited:
I mean, given Dakota I imaged that drug trafficking right up her street.
I mean, given Dakota I imagined that drug trafficking right up her street.
...I'm going to have to ask you answer a few questions.
...I'm going to have to ask you to answer a few questions.
Thank you, corrected.
I would action your request as you're the ranking police officer, but I would strongly advise-."
Unsure is intentional or should it be 'act on'
That one is intentional.

People immigrating into the United States aren't required to reveal their species. Any demon who went through the process would be there legally. Alternatively, they could have lived their life as a human in the United States before going to Hell and becoming a demon. Or they could have come to the United States before citizenship requirements were as exacting as they are now.

Yet breaking the law because most states in America have any demon/devils laws.

And heck considering this is DC, I would surprise me some anti demons laws were in effect in the whole country.

Heck, is probably the only kind of laws Doctor Fate was able to get passed back in the old days since anti chaos laws would be a legal nightmare.

Plus in DC the nazis did use demons.

Seriously, OL, You need to get onto correcting that reputation loss.

That's what he gets by not convincing people the Angels were illegal aliens.

Actually Angels are illegal aliens unless they have legal citizenship in the country they appear or travel to.

And heck considering this is DC, I would surprise me some anti demons laws were in effect in the whole country.

Heck, is probably the only kind of laws Doctor Fate was able to get passed back in the old days since anti chaos laws would be a legal nightmare.

Plus in DC the nazis did use demons.
Under the Citizenship Recognition Act, it is illegal to discriminate on the grounds of species. While there probably are states that still have laws in contravention of that, they would eventually win the court case.

Intelligent law makers are switching to tightening up the proscription of particular types of magic.

I feel a bit bad for them if all they're doing is using it to make themselves look more attractive.

If there ever was a "gateway drug" it is literally this one.

It is astounding how entertaining some walking through a massage parlour and tapping people's foreheads with magic rounds can be.

People immigrating into the United States aren't required to reveal their species. Any demon who went through the process would be there legally. Alternatively, they could have lived their life as a human in the United States before going to Hell and becoming a demon. Or they could have come to the United States before citizenship requirements were as exacting as they are now.
Are they considered to lose their citizenship upon death? Where going to hell when they die, and returning, would be considered illegal immigration?

Are they considered to lose their citizenship upon death? Where going to hell when they die, and returning, would be considered illegal immigration?
Do the demons resulting from conversion of a human count as the original human? It seems to me like it'd be more accurate to call it identity theft of a deceased individual. People coming back from other afterlives might be treated differently, but from what I understand of the process a demonic conversion is more like hollowing out the original person and putting a doppleganger in charge of the body who has all the original's memories.

Do the demons resulting from conversion of a human count as the original human? It seems to me like it'd be more accurate to call it identity theft of a deceased individual. People coming back from other afterlives might be treated differently, but from what I understand of the process a demonic conversion is more like hollowing out the original person and putting a doppleganger in charge of the body who has all the original's memories.
That has not yet been tested in court.

If there ever was a "gateway drug" it is literally this one.

It is astounding how entertaining some walking through a massage parlour and tapping people's foreheads with magic rounds can be.

It also includes a glamour, which in the worst cases can be seen as precursors to mind control.

I wouldn't mind seeing Paragon or another character setting up a political summit or something on demonic immigration, where he gets Mammon to appear at the White House. If Zauriel showed up as a consultant or third party that would be even more fun, imagine the headlines.

While I think Renegade Earth is largely better off with less active supervillains, I imagine Hell is in pretty bad shape since the First of the Fallen, Satanus and Neron are all in power- though the First's presence probably means stagnation and the status quo instead of any innovation like DMN.

Probably a minor infusion of essence of succubus for a cheap instant makeover and instinctive glamour
I'm going to be honest, this whole episode is making me uncomfortable. Sending in superhero's to arrest people for consensual sexual activity. Arresting someone for using magic cosmetics. Because why should the way it is used matter then it is easier to just criminalize the whole branch.

When you answer for doing some skeevy thing is basically, "It's easier for me and the law allows me to," that is a pretty good indication of crappy behavior.

Are they considered to lose their citizenship upon death?
You are thinking of marriage. Marriage is 'till death do you part.' Citizenship isn't.

In America, natural born citizenship is rather irrevocable. Per the constitution, anyone born in a united states state or territory is a citizen. No crime or conviction can remove what is your literal birthright. Only intentionally and specifically relinquishing it before a US consular officially (usually in another country as part of the process of becoming a citizen of that country) If demons are persons, then there is a chain of continuity between the citizen they were born as in America, and the demon they were tortured into becoming in Hell. Otherwise, I could try and rendition you to a foreign country, and attempt to taser you in the balls until you stopped having rights as a citizen.

I'm going to be honest, this whole episode is making me uncomfortable. Sending in superhero's to arrest people for consensual sexual activity. Arresting someone for using magic cosmetics. Because why should the way it is used matter then it is easier to just criminalize the whole branch.

When you answer for doing some skeevy thing is basically, "It's easier for me and the law allows me to," that is a pretty good indication of crappy behavior.
The SI comments on this a little later, but they aren't being arrested for consensual sexual behaviour. They're being arrested for drug offences, specifically using a drug made to enable demons to more easily reach the Earth. One that has provable links to some fairly extreme behaviour, and in this instance has low level mind control effects.

"John, the rune array. Is there an isosceles triangle with seven straight lines coming off the long side? Might be inside a circle."

Mr Zoat, this is from the Story Only post. The part of Half-hearted where OL, Constantine, Knight, Squire, and Captain Cornwall are fighting black light-esque zombies. Shouldn't it be five straight lines, not seven?

EDIT: Never mind. I read a reply you left in the original thread after that part that says the SI didn't remember exactly what it looked like and that John didn't bother to correct him.

Last edited:
Mr Zoat, this is from the Story Only post. The part of Half-hearted where OL, Constantine, Knight, Squire, and Captain Cornwall are fighting black light-esque zombies. Shouldn't it be five straight lines, not seven?

EDIT: Never mind. I read a reply you left in the original thread after that part that says the SI didn't remember exactly what it looked like and that John didn't bother to correct him.
Even though seven makes more sense.

I'm fairly sure that only the Eastern states have anti-demon laws. There are no such laws at the federal level and as you move west the states tend to have been founded in later, less superstitious times. For example, while the state I live in happily embraces those Puritan roots (we have long-ignored laws on the books regarding which sexual positions are legal for crying out loud) there are no laws regarding the supernatural on the books.

No one has ever thought to make citizenship expire upon death. Which, given how many people have been legally dead (as in their heart has stopped) for a minute or two before being revived, is probably a good thing.

"You got any idea who came up with that God damned name for it?"

"Me, actually. I wanted something that would put people off the stuff."
No, that's not how it went down:
"What caused your transformation?"

"Juice." Another flicker. "Hell Juice. I dunno what the stuff is really called."

"Robin?"

He makes a small frown. "Never heard of it. What other names does it have?"

"Ah… Devil Jizz, Dee Em En… I don't know any others."

"DMN? Demon? Who came up with that?"

"Maybe it stands for something? Demonic… Metamorphosis… Narcotic?" Um. "Nectar?"

Artemis makes a face. "And who'd take something called 'Devil Jizz'?"

He DID, however, promote the use of that name on those grounds.

Or do immigration proceedings assume the "proper" way for a demon to enter the USA is to be summoned to earth somewhere else
Summoning the individual at a suitable embassy or consul office ought to be acceptable.

No one has ever thought to make citizenship expire upon death. Which, given how many people have been legally dead (as in their heart has stopped) for a minute or two before being revived, is probably a good thing.
If the heart can be restarted, then they're not legally dead; legally dead specifically requires "irreversible cessation" of vital functions.

However, there have been plenty of cases where someone has been dead in absentia or due to clerical error or misidentification, only to turn up alive and well at a later date. They're still citizens, and nominally any contracts (e.g. property) should still be in force, but the rest of the world moved along as if those contracts had expired, so your bank account will have been closed, your possessions will have been redistributed... Your life insurance policy will be PISSED at you and will require that you repay the benefits that were vested, with interest!

People immigrating into the United States aren't required to reveal their species. Any demon who went through the process would be there legally.

Doesn't part of the immigration process involve putting down on paper where you come from? I assume if you lie on your paperwork, everything that comes after that can probably be invalidated.

Mr Zoat after seeing all these updates and interaction with law I would love a few updates of OL in court as a witness or expert on subject matter to discuss more mixed matters.

Wonder if he would have ability to sware to Eris or Olympian God of law instead of bible since not on best terms with them.

Mr Zoat after seeing all these updates and interaction with law I would love a few updates of OL in court as a witness or expert on subject matter to discuss more mixed matters.

Wonder if he would have ability to sware to Eris or Olympian God of law instead of bible since not on best terms with them.

I think the angels like him more than the Greek God of Law(Zeus), and nobody would take an oath in Eris name seriously.

I think the angels like him more than the Greek God of Law(Zeus), and nobody would take an oath in Eris name seriously.

Which would just make it even better- and swearing by Eris in a court of law (ie order) is appropriately chaotic. At this point in the story, her doing anything helpful instead of wanting things to be like a conventional imbalanced divine patron/hero relationship would also be chaotic, in the best possible way.

I'm not sure any angels really like him now, except in that generic all-loving way some of them seem to have- but its true they'd still like him more than Zeus, which may have been your implication all along.

Doesn't part of the immigration process involve putting down on paper where you come from? I assume if you lie on your paperwork, everything that comes after that can probably be invalidated.
Certainly, so they could legitimately enter where they were born as a human.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back