• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Am I missing why Nabu had to become a helmet when he became a Lord of Order and Klarion got to be a real boy when he became Lord of Chaos?

It probably doesn't have anything to do with becoming a lord of order per se.

In YJ (which Zoat isn't using), the transformation was apparently done post mortem.

In the comics, Nabu switched to the helmet after his body was worn out after thousands of years of use.

So Klarion had a healthy body when he made the switch, and Nabu probably did not.

Pyrrhucy (part 11)
External Motivation = External Control

Pull a thread, apart comes the garment.

And apart come I.

The weakness of eudemonia; the greatness of even a virtuous man can be torn asunder by bad luck, or… Just being outmatched. Virtues of character are useful, but not a guarantee of worldly success. In Christian morality it's completely different; virtue is always rewarded by God in Heaven, whatever tribulations are endured on Earth.

It feels bad. It feels bad.

I can be-. Have been-.

"Aaaaagh!"

"Kadabra! He's awake."

"Yes, yes. Hold still."

"We're still in a combat zone. Work and walk."

"MAaaaagh!"

"Can you shut him up?"

"Why don't we just take the rings off?"

"Possibly." Ugh. "And because they're a central part of his metaphysical self. That would risk making things worse."

"Doesn't the Bible say 'if the self offends you, cut it off'? Seriously, I'll-"

"Don't do-"

"-take 'em-"

"-that!"

"-off-."

"Wha-?"

I'm staring at… Eiling's chest. I'm draped over his shoulder, his right shoulder, his right arm anchoring me in place. Kadabra and Mahkent are close by, and Mahkent's got both of my rings.

"Okay. What happened?"

Eiling shifts slightly. "Kadabra, he himself again?"

"He is… Not right, but whatever was affecting him has abated."

Mahkent smirks, though his eyes don't leave my rings. "Told you."

Eiling picks me up and drops me on the ground next to him, and I just about manage to get my feet under me.

"What happened?"

Eiling looks down at me, weighing me up. "You tell us. You came down the hole raving like a God damned Section Eight. Kadabra and me had to punch a hole through to the storm drain."

"I-. I had clones of myself around in case I needed another body to jump into. Mannheim captured them. Did.. something to one to put part of the Anti-Life into it. Once it touched my construct it started absorbing the orange light. When the Suicide Jockeys killed it, the Anti-Life… It bypassed my normal protections."

"You need to get checked out?"

"I should be fine until-. Until we get back to the Tower."

"Yeah, that's a problem." Eiling nods at Kadabra, who waves his wand to call up a holographic image of the city.

Oh. That's a lot of soldiers.

"What makes you so interesting?"

"There's… A chance that Mannheim could use me to corrupt the concept of avarice."

Eiling narrows his eyes. "If he can do that, why the hell are you in the field?"

"Didn't know he could do that. Really hoped he couldn't. My plan for… Beating them rather hinges on it."

"Huh?" Mahkent looks away from my rings. "You know how to win?"

"Probably. But as you can see, I very definitely can be wrong about things. You finished with those?"

"What?" He blinks, then jerks his head back to the rings. "Oh. Ah, you..? Sure you should be touching these?"

"They're an Anti-Life infection vector, and I'm the only one here immune to the lure of the orange light, which is why you're finding them so entrancing."

I-.

"What happened to my armour?"

"Too awkward to carry. Tore you out of it. Same with-" I see the alien on his other shoulder. "-this guy."

"What species is he?"

He reaches across with his right hand and picks the alien up, then lowers him to where I can look at his face. "Same species as Kanjar Ro, whatever they are."

Weirdly skinny, pointed nose, large eyes and digitigrade legs.

"Dhorians. I thought they'd be too busy to bother anyone."

Kadabra raises his right eyebrow. "Why?"

"I gave one of their neighbours a major technological boost. Their cold war should be going hot against fairly soon. Okay, put him back."

Eiling does, though he's clearly agitated. "So, because of you, they're here to put the boot in?"

I shrug. "Kanjar Ro knew about us already. Looked like they were trying to steal Apokoliptian technology. And I suspect that they kidnapped Tuppence as well, but Kanjar Ro tried that with the Justice League so she's in good company."

I have-. Had data on Dhorian teleportation systems, so there's a chance that we can escape that way. Depends on how much attention they're paying. If it's automatic-.

"Far as I can tell-" Eiling points at the map. "-our best route out is to head towards the waterfront and then punch a hole so we come up through one of these buildings. There's no way they're not watching the exit, but if we're lucky, we should be able to hide out until they reposition their troops."

"How lucky do you feel?"

"With you combat-ineffective, not too lucky. Got a better idea?"

I reach into my pouch and slip the yellow ring on.

Nar.

14th February 2013
15:16 GMT -5

Yellow light flares as I remember the Anti-Life clawing at my soul and trying to take away my ability to act on the universe. No, don't be submerged. Focus it.

"That's a solid 'maybe'. Kadabra, wake him up. We need a chat. And Mister Mahkent? Give me my rings back."

Last edited:
I shrug. "Kanjar Ro knew about us already. Looked like they were trying to steal Apokoliptian technology. And I suspect that they kidnapped Tuppence as well, but they did that Kanjar Ro tried that with the Justice League so she's in good company."
Not entirely certain what happened to that sentence.

Edit:I thought he stored the yellow ring and lantern in his rings subspace, which he can't access without wearing the orange ring.

Pull a thread, apart comes the garment.

And apart come I.
Okay, OL not looking in good shape at all. Hopefully the memetic attack is targetting him can be shaken off without too much danger to those around him. At least if he is Anti-Lifed, he'll have more difficulty using the Orange Light.

The weakness of eudemonia; the greatness of even a virtuous man can be torn asunder by bad luck, or… Just being outmatched. Virtues of character are useful, but not a guarantee of worldly success. In Christian morality it's completely different; virtue is always rewarded by God in Heaven, whatever tribulations are endured on Earth.
Which might not come as much comfort in the moment of those tribulations, though. I suppose that's the test.

It feels bad. It feels bad.
The ultimate bad Touch, you might say?

I can be-. Have been-.
Somehow, I don't think he's going to be able to recover without outside interference...

"Aaaaagh!"

"Kadabra! He's awake."
And here's just the interference to manage it.

"Yes, yes. Hold still."

"We're still in a combat zone. Work and walk."
Going badly, then. What else is new?

"MAaaaagh!"

"Can you shut him up?"
Ideally without breaking anything he might find useful?

"Why don't we just take the rings off?"

"Possibly." Ugh. "And because they're a central part of his metaphysical self. That would risk making things worse."
Or cut him off from the vector of the attack, given that it's working through his rings?

"Doesn't the Bible say 'if the self offends you, cut it off'? Seriously, I'll-"

"Don't do-"
I don't think it means quite what you want it to mean...

"-take 'em-"

"-that!"

"-off-."
Looks like you're over-ruled, Kadabra

"Wha-?"

I'm staring at… Eiling's chest. I'm draped over his shoulder, his right shoulder, his right arm anchoring me in place. Kadabra and Mahkent are close by, and Mahkent's got both of my rings.
Don't go getting any ideas, Icicle...

"Okay. What happened?"

Eiling shifts slightly. "Kadabra, he himself again?"
Looks like he's stablised, at least. Well, not screaming, so improvement?

"He is… Not right, but whatever was affecting him has abated."

Mahkent smirks, though his eyes don't leave my rings. "Told you."
Yes, yes, very clever. Now give.

Eiling picks me up and drops me on the ground next to him, and I just about manage to get my feet under me.

"What happened?"
And given The General's size, that's a fair height. Bet he's feeling a bit of a squeeze down here.

Eiling looks down at me, weighing me up. "You tell us. You came down the hole raving like a God damned Section Eight. Kadabra and me had to punch a hole through to the storm drain."

"I-. I had clones of myself around in case I needed another body to jump into. Mannheim captured them. Did.. something to one to put part of the Anti-Life into it. Once it touched my construct it started absorbing the orange light. When the Suicide Jockeys killed it, the Anti-Life… It bypassed my normal protections."
'Section Eight' being a term for 'medical discharge - psychologically unfit'. Basically, fired for going nuts.

"You need to get checked out?"

"I should be fine until-. Until we get back to the Tower."
Don't take that as given, OL. You might experience a relapse.

"Yeah, that's a problem." Eiling nods at Kadabra, who waves his wand to call up a holographic image of the city.

Oh. That's a lot of soldiers.
Justified, aliens, or both?

"What makes you so interesting?"

"There's… A chance that Mannheim could use me to corrupt the concept of avarice."
I suspect the Ophidian would have some opinions about that.

Eiling narrows his eyes. "If he can do that, why the hell are you in the field?"

"Didn't know he could do that. Really hoped he couldn't. My plan for… Beating them rather hinges on it."
...Well, that puts a bit of a dampener on the 'jury-rig the White Light into a cleansing' plan

"Huh?" Mahkent looks away from my rings. "You know how to win?"

"Probably. But as you can see, I very definitely can be wrong about things. You finished with those?"
Honestly, you've been lucky so far, OL.

"What?" He blinks, then jerks his head back to the rings. "Oh. Ah, you..? Sure you should be touching these?"

"They're an Anti-Life infection vector, and I'm the only one here immune to the lure of the orange light, which is why you're finding them so entrancing."
Be glad he hasn't tried to put one on yet. Then things might get noisy.

I-.

"What happened to my armour?"
...You are at least wearing pants, right? :p

"Too awkward to carry. Tore you out of it. Same with-" I see the alien on his other shoulder. "-this guy."

"What species is he?"
Ah, finally, we get to see what they look like!

He reaches across with his right hand and picks the alien up, then lowers him to I can look at his face. "Same species as Kanjar Ro, whatever they are."

Weirdly skinny, pointed nose, large eyes and digitigrade legs.
Huh. Space Chicken-people.:D Funnily, Kanjar Ro himself does not have legs like that. Surgical modification, maybe?

"Dhorians. I thought they'd be too busy to bother anyone."

Kadabra raises his right eyebrow. "Why?"
I assume OL had something to do with it, then...

"I gave one of their neighbours a major technological boost. Their cold war should be going hot against fairly soon. Okay, put him back."

Eiling does, though he's clearly agitated. "So, because of you, they're here to put the boot in?"
Or just loot the place while you're all distracted. So, more Space Magpies than Space Chickens. ;)

I shrug. "Kanjar Ro knew about us already. Looked like they were trying to steal Apokoliptian technology. And I suspect that they kidnapped Tuppence as well, but Kanjar Ro tried that with the Justice League so she's in good company."

I have-. Had data on Dhorian teleportation systems, so there's a chance that we can escape that way. Depends on how much attention they're paying. If it's automatic-.
More than once, depending on continuity.

"Far as I can tell-" Eiling points at the map. "-our best route out is to head towards the waterfront and then punch a hole so we come up through one of these buildings. They're no way they're not watching the exit, but if we're lucky, we should be able to hide out until they reposition their troops."

"How lucky do you feel?"
Given the failure of their broadcaster, they're likely to be hanging around for a while.

"With you combat-ineffective, not too lucky. Got a better idea?"

I reach into my pouch and slip the yellow ring on.
A risky move, especially if it looses stability in its capacitors.

Nar.

14th February 2013
15:16 GMT -5
And of course his first move is to make a timestamp. :p

Yellow light flares as I remember the Anti-Life clawing at my soul and trying to take away my ability to act on the universe. No, don't be submerged. Focus it.

"That's a solid 'maybe'. Kadabra, wake him up. We need a chat."
Something which will be much easier with a Yellow Ring than an Orange...

And that makes the third Light OL's used. At this rate, he may well out-do Kyle Rayner. Though I expect his Enlightenment will makes things peculiar in handling the ring.Still, this will put him at something of a disadvantage for a while. Not what you want when you're surrounded by an enemy force who's on full alert...

...then lowers him to I can look at his face.
...then lowers him to where I can look at his face.
They're no way they're not watching the exit...
There's no way they're not watching the exit...

Okay, OL not looking in good shape at all. Hopefully the memetic attack is targeting him can be shaken off without too much danger to those around him. At least if he is Anti-Lifed, he'll have more difficulty using the Orange Light.

The ultimate bad Touch, you might say?

Somehow, I don't think he's going to be able to recover without outside interference...

Going badly, then. What else is new?

Or cut him off from the vector of the attack, given that it's working through his rings?

Don't go getting any ideas, Icicle...

Yes, yes, very clever. Now give.

I suspect the Ophidian would have some opinions about that.

Or the closet thing to the ultimate bad touch discovered.

Eh, wouldn't be the firs time.

The fact there's a global Anti-Life broadcast is new, thought that's more because how hard it is to find.

50/50 chance either way, which is better than most odds Paragon usually has to work with.

Considering both times someone wore Paul's ring resulted in the Ophidian demanding to tear the flesh from their living bodies and a Saremite becoming one of her "toys", I doubt he'd be able to open his mouth before he's back in orange.

See above.

"Agent, I want new toys!"

"Um...might I suggest not assimilating something that's been Anti-Lifed?"

"You did the same with the fungoid toy."

"...Touché..."

Well. Another parallel with Grayven (kind of, depending on how much he uses this ring).

Hmm, if there's a life-equation and anti-life equation, are there whole equations for the other parts of the spectrum? Or do they mix and match parts of the life and anti-life equations?

Not entirely certain what happened to that sentence.
Me neither.
Edit:I thought he stored the yellow ring and lantern in his rings subspace, which he can't access without wearing the orange ring.
No, I don't believe that I wrote what happened to it after he dismissed the Zod construct.
...then lowers him to where I can look at his face.
There's no way they're not watching the exit...
Thank you, corrected.
Should Paul really be leaving his rings in Junior's hands I know he's one of the nicer villains but do you really want him acting on all his desires?
A mistake on my part.

Last edited:
Here's a list of episodes where you can find the alternative settings or lanterns so you don't have to sift through the threadmarks. Note that the list is still incomplete.

Red Lantern:
Ep 42
-Sororicide (Part 21)
-Sororicide (part 22)
Ep 84
-Uxoricide (part 12)
-Uxocicide (part 13)
Ep 99
-Will murder for personal satisfaction
Ep 109
-Liberticide (part 1)
-Liberticide (part 2)
-Liberticide (part 3)
-Liberticide (part 4)

Anti green Lantern:
Ep 42
-Mayday (part 3)
-Mayday (part 23)
Ep 83
-Encumbrance (part 19)
-Difficulty (part 15)
-Difficulty (part 16)
-Difficulty (part 17)
Ep 91
-Irritation
Ep 98
-Everything is awesome

Blue Lantern/Earth -14:
Ep 27
-Meanwhile, on Earth -14
Ep 33
-Doppelgänger story only
Ep 42
-Defector (part 5)
Ep 85
-Some time ago on Earth -14
-Doppelgängered story only

Yellow Lantern:
Ep 95
-Lantern corps, Ho!
-Lantern corps, Ho!
-Lantern corps, Ho!
Ep 98
-In Order
Ep 100
-Wyrm (part 1)
-Wyrm (part 2)
-Wyrm (part 3)

Indigo Lantern:
Ep 42
-Bereave (part 1)
-Bereave (part 7)
Ep 82
-Nobody Move (part 21)

Ep 42
-Avatar: Legend of Azula (part 1)
-Avatar: Legend of Azula (part 2)

My Little Pony FiM
Ep 42
-My Little Lantern: Avarice is Magic (part 1)
-My Little Lantern: Avarice is Magic (part 2)

Captain Planet
Ep 42
-Blight Up Your Life (part 1)

Kung Fu Panda
Ep 42
-Kung Fu Leopard (part 1)
-Kung Fu Leopard (part 2)

ElseWhen/ Jade Scott
Ep 74
-ElseWhen
-ElseWhen
Ep 75
-ElseWhen
-ElseWhen
-ElseWhen
Ep76
-ElseWhen
Ep 90
-ElseWhen
-ElseWhen

Common sense:
Ep 78
-Common sense (part 1)
Ep 82
-Common sense (part 2)
Ep 86
-Common sense (part 3)
-Common sense (part 4)
Ep 87
-Common sense (part 5)
Ep 110
-Common sense (part 6)
-Common sense (part 7)

Sybarite:
Ep 81
-Sybarite (part 1)
-Sybarite (part 2)

Justice League unlimited:
Ep 85
-A long time ago on Earth 12
-A little later on Earth 12
-Some time ago on Earth 12
-Recently on Earth 12
Ep 87
-Recently on Earth 12
Ep 92
-Covert community (part 1)
-Covert community (part 2)
Ep 98
-Here's mud in your you
Ep 102
-Some time ago on Earth 12
-Most recently on Earth 12
-Still on Earth 12
-On Earth 12 again

He-man:
Ep 94
-I HAVE THE POWER! RING
-I HAVE THE POWER! RING

Fallout:
Ep 94
-Old World Dudes
-Old World Dudes
Ep 97
-Should Have Posted This Sooner
Ep 108
-Fallin (part 1)
-Fallin (part 2)
-Fallin (part 3)
-Fallin (part 4)
-Fallin (part 5)
-Fallin (part 6)
-Fallin (part 7)

Avengers EMH:
Ep 94
-Earth's Orangest Hero
-Earth's Orangest Hero

Angel Paul:
Ep 94
-Fratricide squad
Ep 98
-Clarity

WH fantasy:
Ep 95
-Warlantern Fantasy Battle
Ep 101
-Warhammered (part 1)
-Warhammered (part 2)
-Warhammered (part 3)
-Warhammered (part 4)

WH40K:
Ep 95
-Warlantern 40,000
-Warlantern 40,000
-Warlantern 40,000
Ep 104
-Kaising the Joint (part 1)
-Kaising the Joint (part 2)
-Kaising the Joint (part 3)
-Kaising the Joint (part 4)
-Kaising the Joint (part 5)

Black Lantern
Ep 96
-Repetition (part 13)
-Repetition (part 14)
-Repetition (part 16)
-Repetition (part 17)

Tangseid:
Ep 99
-When you're Evil
Ep 106
-Sauntering downwards (part 1)
-Sauntering downwards (part 2)
-Sauntering downwards (part 3)
-Sauntering downwards (part 4)
-Sauntering downwards (part 5)

Stargirl:
Ep 99
-Ringman (part 1)
-Ringman (part 2)

GATE:
Ep 103
-Gateway (part 1)
-Gateway (part 2)
-Gateway (part 3)
-Gateway (part 4)

Marvel:
Ep 107
-Meanwhile, on Earth 534834 (part 1)
-Meanwhile, on Earth 534834 (part 2)
-Meanwhile, on Earth 534834 (part 3)
-Meanwhile, on Earth 534834 (part 4)
-Meanwhile, on Earth 534834 (part 5)

Teal Lantern:
Ep 111
-I smile to see you want (part 4a)
-I smile to see you want (part 4b)

Edit 1. Formatting and adding links
Edit 2. Added more links
Edit 3. Added Black Lantern

So this is pretty good, anyone have an updated version?

Is that the American way of saying it? It's in a plaster cast.

I'm from the south so linguist drift and all that, but I have always heard it as "in a cast" the type never being stated.

Anytime I here something as "a plaster" I immediately think the writer/ speaker is using Queens English unless they are talking about architecture.

hough it sounds like even they aren't sure just who this 'Mistress' is. I guess Batman isn't sure, but has his suspicions that he's not sharing...

Ok, here is my guess before the reveal. (Well before I get to it)

And I just stand there because that's what I do and Karon's got her gun out and-

BANG! BANG!

-she shoots him but there's a world full of guys like him all around us-.
And That's Just How It Is.
"C'm on."

She keeps her gun in her hand and grabs me with the other, grabs my upper arm and not my hand and pulling me because I belong to her for whatever she wants because she shot him and she'll shoot them and that's fine.
And That's Just How It Is.
It's better to be a toy than a dishcloth.

Mistress is Karon

Sorry about all these past posts I am trying to hold my questions till the end but you can't say you knew it all along after the reveal, no one believes you then.

Did Oh-El really leave his clones in a planet that was Anti-Lifed?
Those clones were stolen very shortly after Mannheim started his broadcast. By the time OL got an alert that something was wrong and got there, the clones and some computer equipment were gone (but not other space age weaponry he had stored there). And then he didn't have any leads on where they went or where they were going to be stored and no way to easily track them down.

Pyrrhucy (part 12)
14th February 2013
15:17 GMT -5

"I won't tell you anything."

Fortunate that this ring has a database on Dhorian physiology, though creating the constructs I needed to communicate the information to Kadabra was… Uncomfortable.

It's not about being afraid. It's holding your mind in a position where you're thinking about the thing you're afraid of, you're on the cusp of a physiological response, but you hold it off. Fear-edging, basically.

"Let me guess." Eiling cracks his huge knuckles. "He ain't going to talk."

Because naturally, the alien doesn't speak English, and his translator was built into his armour. This yellow ring translates for me just fine, but I'm not confident enough in my control to try extending that affect to the others. Kadabra's implants are analysing his speech and will start providing him with a translation eventually. Apparently the Antares four-way war was… 'Resolved' by the Reach before Kadabra's era and as a result he doesn't have their language on-file.

"Everyone talks. You know that."

"Not quite everyone. Some people die first."

Dhorians don't sweat or twitch as a nervous response. They pant and blink. Our friend is doing both, which would be nice if I wanted a power boost but doesn't really help me with fine control.

"Do you know who I am?"

A double-blink. "A Lantern."

"Me in particular."

Eiling shakes his head. "That didn't sound like name, rank, serial number."

"He knows the 'I won't talk' is bravado, I know it's bravado. He's just saying so that he can square it with himself when he eventually gives in."

"N-? No?"

"This isn't my first interrogation. Now, I know that you come from Dhor. I'm not sure what you're doing here, though I have suspicions. How's the war going?"

"We will soon triumph over our enemies!"

"All of them?" I sigh, rolling my eyes. "The whole reason why the war has gone on this long is because whenever someone pulls ahead, the other three gang up on them. No one even really tries anymore."

"We try. We just guard our strength."

I consider asking when the last time his people landed troops on one of their enemies' planets was, but that's getting away from our point.

"A bit of a risk you're taking, coming here. Weakness invites attack."

"Your world doesn't have the technology."

"No, I mean, back home. That's not a huge number of ships, but it's not a small number, either. They'll notice the change in your deployments. Strength invites coalition building but obvious weakness invites attack."

"Or maybe it reassures them that we are not a threat. Not when Alstair grows stronger every season."

"So Alstair's about to win and this is a desperation move." I nod. "Okay. Explains why you grabbed Tuppence Terror rather than the Justice League like last time."

"'Last time'? There was no 'last time'."

"Because Kanjar Ro tried the exact-."

"Kanjar Ro is a miserable traitor to Dhor! We aren't just copying him! This 'Tuppence Terror' was a target of opportunity!"

"Oh, so you're here for the Apokoliptian technology, then."

Three blinks, then he pulls in on himself and stops talking.

"I don't understand why you think that would be a problem. We certainly don't want it here."

"What?"

"We're being invaded, and you want to steal our invaders' weapons. Good."

"… Oh."

"Now, we don't want you kidnapping our people, but… I mean, why did you think we'd want to stop you taking stuff from our enemies?"

"No, now you… Put it like that, it.. doesn't make sense."

"The governments of Earth have no contact with anyone in Antares. The Justice League fought Kanjar Ro a few years ago, but I get the impression that you don't care much about him."

"He is a thief and a traitor."

"So there's no dispute there either. Now, be honest: do you think we could come to terms with whoever's in charge of your fleet?"

"Your people have been fighting this invasion for some time, yes?"

"Month and a half."

"Do you have examples of their technology?"

"Of course. Mostly, we're using it to try and decipher how it works so that we can counter it, but I'm sure we've got a few spare pieces we wouldn't mind parting with."

"So… You want to give us their technology, and for us to give you our prisoners back?"

I nod. "Yes, that's about the size of it. We've also got maps of where they've got interesting pieces located that we're happy to share if you want to attack them."

"That would be very valuable to us. I don't have the authority to actually agree anything, but I can-. Ah, if you get my armour back I can repair my communication gear and send a message."

"No teleport system?"

"Miniaturising the stabilising beacons is hard. I don't want to take chances with my molecular stability."

"Perfectly reasonable. Whereabouts in the armour is it?"

"The transmitter is in top of the backpack, and the rest is in the helmet."

"Thank you." I turn towards Mr. Mahkent. "Icicle, would you mind going back and grabbing the helmet and backpack of this chap's armour?"

He looks a little disgruntled. "Well, yeah, kinda. Why me?"

"Because Eiling can punch through walls if we need to escape and Kadabra needs to keep listening for his translator to recalibrate itself. And that wasn't a question, it was a politely phrased order. It's a British thing."

"Okay." He turns away. "I'm going. Don't blame me if I break the wrong bit."

"I won't." I turn back to the Dhorian. "So what's your name, anyway?"

Last edited:
14th February 2013
15:17 GMT -5

"I won't tell you anything."

Fortunate that this ring has a database on Dhorian physiology, though creating the constructs I needed to communicate the information to Kadabra was… Uncomfortable.
I figure it's a bit like going from one desktop operating system to another. On the surface everything looks about the same, but all the keyboard shortcuts are slightly different, and you can't always find whatever program you want to work with.

It's not about being afraid. It's holding your mind in a position where you're thinking about the thing you're afraid of, you're on the cusp of a physiological response, but you hold it off. Fear-edging, basically.

"Let me guess." Eiling cracks his huge knuckles. "He ain't going to talk."
And that's probably a little more difficult to hold on to compared to, say, just wanting harder.

Because naturally, the alien doesn't speak English, and his translator was built into his armour. This yellow ring translates for me just fine, but I'm not confident enough in my control to try extending that affect to the others. Kadabra's implants are analysing his speech and will start providing him with a translation eventually. Apparently the Antares four-way war was… 'Resolved' by the Reach before Kadabra's era and as a result he doesn't have their language on-file.
And this is a situation where some of your companions might be a little suspicious of what's being said in a language they can't understand, no doubt.

"Everyone talks. You know that."

"Not quite everyone. Some people die first."
Then you were doing it wrong, General.

Dhorians don't sweat or twitch as a nervous response. They pant and blink. Our friend is doing both, which would be nice if I wanted a power boost but doesn't really help me with fine control.

"Do you know who I am?"
Still, at least he's appropriately afraid for his life?

A double-blink. "A Lantern."

"Me in particular."
Well, it might be a little difficult to recognise you, OL. Between him having to work with just an average organic brain, and you not glowing all orange...

Eiling shakes his head. "That didn't sound like name, rank, serial number."

"He knows the 'I won't talk' is bravado, I know it's bravado. He's just saying so that he can square it with himself when he eventually gives in."
And can tell his boss he 'tried to resist, honest, but these sneaky hoo-mans outsmarted me'.

"N-? No?"

"This isn't my first interrogation. Now, I know that you come from Dhor. I'm not sure what you're doing here, though I have suspicions. How's the war going?"
Because there's always a war in their system.

"We will soon triumph over our enemies!"

"All of them?" I sigh, rolling my eyes. "The whole reason why the war has gone on this long is because whenever someone pulls ahead, the other three gang up on them. No one even really tries anymore."
Better a metastable balance of power than utter annihilation, I suppose. Even if it does result in a rather hefty number of deaths now and then.

"We try. We just guard our strength."

I consider asking when the last time his people landed troops on one of their enemies' planets was, but that's getting away from our point.
And probably trigger an argument about military strategy. Best to let it lie.

"A bit of a risk you're taking, coming here. Weakness invites attack."

"Your world doesn't have the technology."
Well, someone didn't read all of their briefing...

"No, I mean, back home. That's not a huge number of ships, but it's not a small number, either. They'll notice the change in your deployments. Strength invites coalition building but obvious weakness invites attack."

"Or maybe it reassures them that we are not a threat. Not when Alstair grows stronger every season."
Ah, hoping to slip under the radar and suddenly strike while the others' backs are turned?

"So Alstair's about to win and this is a desperation move." I nod. "Okay. Explains why you grabbed Tuppence Terror rather than the Justice League like last time."

"'Last time'? There was no 'last time'."
Ah, something of a national embarrassment, was it?

"Because Kanjar Ro tried the exact-."

"Kanjar Ro is a miserable traitor to Dhor! We aren't just copying him! This 'Tuppence Terror' was a target of opportunity!"
Ooh, bit of a hot button issue, I see. And good to sort-of hear that Tuppence is alive.

"Oh, so you're here for the Apokoliptian technology, then."

Three blinks, then he pulls in on himself and stops talking.
Oh, yes, that's a 'i shouldn't have said that' moment if ever I saw one.

"I don't understand why you think that would be a problem. We certainly don't want it here."

"What?"
What, you think that sort of thing is normal around Earth? Heaven forbid.

"We're being invaded, and you want to steal our invaders' weapons. Good."

"… Oh."
Might have been a good idea to poke around a bit, find some intel before you went ram-raiding.

"Now, we don't want you kidnapping our people, but… I mean, why did you think we'd want to stop you taking stuff from our enemies?"

"No, now you… Put it like that, it.. doesn't make sense."
This is why you always want to know what sort of tango you're sticking your beak into...

"The governments of Earth have no contact with anyone in Antares. The Justice League fought Kanjar Ro a few years ago, but I get the impression that you don't care much about him."

"He is a thief and a traitor."
Yeah, that makes it pretty clear. Assuming that isn't a 'plausible deniability' ploy.

"So there's no dispute there either. Now, be honest: do you think we could come to terms with whoever's in charge of your fleet?"

"Your people have been fighting this invasion for some time, yes?"
Now, don't go thinking they're desperate.

"Month and a half."

"Do you have examples of their technology?"
Oh, plenty. Though some of them, you'll have to go through the subverted population to get to.

"Of course. Mostly, we're using it to try and decipher how it works so that we can counter it, but I'm sure we've got a few spare pieces we wouldn't mind parting with."

"So… You want to give us their technology, and for us to give you our prisoners back?"
Admittedly, I'm not sure you'll still want it once you start playing with it.

I nod. "Yes, that's about the size of it. We've also got maps of where they've got interesting pieces located that we're happy to share if you want to attack them."

"That would be very valuable to us. I don't have the authority to actually agree anything, but I can-. Ah, if you get my armour back I can repair my communication gear and send a message."
Heh.Clever, OL. Getting a third party to meddle with Mannheim's expansion plans while you get set up to kick him out?

"No teleport system?"

"Miniaturising the stabilising beacons is hard. I don't want to take chances with my molecular stability."
Wise fellow.

"Perfectly reasonable. Whereabouts in the armour is it?"

"The transmitter is in top of the backpack, and the rest is in the helmet."
Logical enough, if a bit at risk of damage from heavy fire. Not doubt it's well-armoured.

"Thank you." I turn towards Mr. Mahkent. "Icicle, would you mind going back and grabbing the helmet and backpack of this chap's armour?"

He looks a little disgruntled. "Well, yeah, kinda. Why me?"
...You're the only one not really required in this conversation. And that wasn't really a request, polite as it was.

"Because Eiling can punch through walls if we need to escape and Kadabra needs to keep listening for his translator to recalibrate itself. And that wasn't a question, it was a politely phrased order. It's a British thing."

"Okay." He turns away. "I'm going. Don't blame me if I break the wrong bit."

"I won't." I turn back to the Dhorian. "So what's your name, anyway?"
Grumpy kid. Understandable, given the circumstances, but really...

An interesting plan, OL, getting them to stick their oar into Earth's affairs. I suppose this will be a useful distraction for Mannheim's forces while you get back to sorting things out. ...Once you get your Rings cleaned out of the silly emo-gunk of the Anti-Life. And once things are cleared out, the League will be able to kick the Dhorians in the sensitives and run them off...

An interesting plan, OL, getting them to stick their oar into Earth's affairs. I suppose this will be a useful distraction for Mannheim's forces while you get back to sorting things out. ...Once you get your Rings cleaned out of the silly emo-gunk of the Anti-Life. And once things are cleared out, the League will be able to kick the Dhorians in the sensitives and run them off...
I feel like he's being played.

After all, why would they need a few hundred New God handguns when they just got Krypton's entire database?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back