1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. We are recruiting new moderation staff. Please see this thread for more information if you are interested.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He was involved with that. Afterwards, Paul approached him to get his advice in ways to improve Earth. Paul also tried setting him up with Hera, but I don't think Mr Zoat said how that went.

Cuchulin, Ardy and Lord Ernest like this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Whatever Fury 2 is fighting.
    Athena doesn't actually have a formal magic education. Since she had no idea how to blend a human and a snake but knew that a god could just have sex with a snake to make a snake demigod, she made them minor divines and then added snake and hoped for the best.
    Thank you, corrected.

Cuchulin, Prince Charon, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  3. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Nice Paul, doing good.

And Eris is still as funny as always

Cuchulin likes this.
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not surprising since Heph probably wanted nothing to be left behind that could be used to track them.

While it is disappointing, there may still be hope.

Circe’s spell may have been different compared to the gorgon magic, so maybe it can be reversed.

Oh boy, please don't let it be the Kindly Ones.

Ardy likes this.
  5. Finagle007

Finagle007 [Verified Great Old One]

First thing that came to my mind, too. Wouldn't put it past that stupid bitch.

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't think there's a reason for her to go to them since her son is still alive.

Though with Anti-Life and the chaos that followed, he may have died.

Ardy likes this.
  7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Er... Zoat... Stheno and Euryale were the daughters of a pair of gods...

Cuchulin and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  8. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat probably took liberties with what the myths say compared to what's true. We've seen multiple times that the gods both in DC comics and here aren't a one to one copy of what's written in actual Greek mythology. The first example of this that comes to mind is the fact that Athena isn't a virgin.

Vorian, KenNM, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  9. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The DC wikia claims that they're also the daughters of the god Phorcus in that setting.

KenNM and Cuchulin like this.
  10. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Again, Mr Zoat is taking some things from various DC sources and adding his own stuff. Stheno and Euryale's lineage could be part of that.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  11. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

... and being the goddess of wisdom (thus powerful and capable of a lot), it worked anyway.

KenNM, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  12. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, Most snakes are basically F-ing blind from what I hear.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  13. Threadmarks: Reconstruction (part 14)
    Mr Zoat

5th March 2013
    08:49 GMT +3

Hippolyta Hall, also known as Fury due to the fact that the Erinyes granted her the same superstrength, speed and toughness as her mother at the same cost: when she gets properly angry one of them takes over her body. There was a very good reason why she was so adamant about her retirement and didn't want to visit Thanagar. Her self-control used to be pretty good, but then she spent a month exposed to the Anti-Life.

"…couldn't help it!"

The young man thrusts out his hands, electricity leaping out of them and missing Fury as she blurs sideways.

"You can explain yourself to Hades."

My ring tracks her lunging faster than my eyes can keep up with, and my construct barricade is there blocking her path. She slams into it, cracking construct cement and bending construct girders, standing still for a moment before looking up at me.

"Keep out-."

"Of this, Lantern?" I roll my eyes as she bares her teeth. "Which of the Erinyes am I talking to?"

"I am Tisiphone, and I deal out righteous punishment to murderers."

I look at the young man, who appears torn between fleeing and keeping still to avoid drawing attention to himself.

"Him?"

"I-I wanted to be a hero."

"Many heroes were murderers." Her eyes narrow at me. "This one, for example."

"Fortunately, my murders weren't committed on Earth and so are outside of your jurisdiction."

"If I did not have a better target I would come for you anyway."

"Your host will reassert herself eventually. You don't have time to come after someone who can avoid you by flying away." I turn to the lightning-wielder. "You were a Justifier?" He nods. "Come on Tisiphone, you can't punish someone for what the person controlling them made their body do."

"His mind was still his own. A drunkard can still be punished for killing while drunk."

"Oh, that's not the same."

"The Anti-Life added nothing to their thoughts. It granted no one control of their minds."

"Then how do you explain the fact that they all started acting completely differently?"

"They changed their minds after being shown the Anti-Life."

"Right, so-."

"It counts."

Which is probably all of the consideration I'm getting.

"So your plan is to kill everyone affected by the Anti-Life?"

"I would like to. But I am willing to limit myself to their leader."

"Mannheim?"

"Alpha Centurion Marcus Aelius."

Marcus… Is on the missing persons list. The very long missing persons list, that also has Vincent Edge and my clone on it among many others. He was effectively 'leader' of the Justifiers, hunting down anyone Mannheim took exception to but who wasn't powerful enough to warrant sending Finality Man after or hunting down himself. He killed a lot of people, and I'm not sure if we actually found him it wouldn't be as a corpse with his own sword through his chest.

But as far as I'm concerned, it's not like being drunk. It's far more than that. It's an arcane power messing with your thoughts, and it's well within the bounds of what should pass blame onto the ultimate source and not dump it on their proxy.

"So what are you doing here?"

"This wretch worked with him. He has information for me."

"I don't know-."

"And I shall shrive his body until he produces it."

"I don't know where he is! When-when we were Justifiers, we didn't-. It all just-. It just flowed-. We knew what we were supposed to do, where we were supposed to be… When it-. When it stopped, I was-. I was so horrified that I didn't pay any attention to what was happening. He could be anywhere! He has a spaceship!"

Ring, contact the Pax Romana.

Compliance.

Anything?

Communication protocols for instant communication in use. No acknowledgement received.

"Tisiphone, I disagree with your assessment of the Anti-Life. I would like arbitration."

"By who?"

"Lady Themis."

Missus Hall's face curdles even further. Yes, Themis and Tisiphone don't have the best relationship, what with the former's insistence on due process and fairness and the latter's psychotic rage. But hers is the penultimate word on divine justice in the Olympian pantheon and the ultimate word is Hephaestaean, who would be likely to accept my counsel. The question is, how much does Tisiphone actually care?

Why is she smiling?

"I will give you three days to get her decision. If she does not countermand me, I will kill every 'Justifier' on the Earth. Do we have an accord?"

"No, that's asinine. You know perfectly well that the Olympians have become disconnected from Earth. I'm not going to agree to something that would bind me from acting against you when you go psycho. Or something that would help you keep control of that body because 'I will kill' requires you to be around."

"Then I will simply kill them anyway."

"Have you killed any already?"

"Yes."

I smile. That's that little mystery cleared up, then.

"You killed them?"

"Yes."

"And Lyta Hall didn't."

"No."

"But all she has to do is not be angry and you can't control her. Drunk murderers are still murderers."

"You might have a point. But with the gods absent there is no one who can order me to stop. So I don't care."

I form a construct railgun and load mage slayers. "The stupid way it is, then."

Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
  14. EgyptianDio

EgyptianDio DAJAKU! DAJAKU!

Wait… Lyra Hall? Isn’t she the daughter of Wonder Woman?!

15. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Oh look... A consequence of faffing around instead of fixing the damn Olympus problem...

16. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I hope Paul can assimilate this one. She's a powerful being who loves to kill and is only held back by things stronger than it telling it "No".

Only in the Pre-Crisis continuity.

KenNM, Cuchulin, Xmaster3000 and 4 others like this.
  17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, the joy of the Kindly Ones. Sure, sounds like a good deal, until you realise the threshold is probably very low. And she likely spent a lot of the Anti-Life period holding back that anger... :oops: Which means all that rage backed up something fierce.

Chasing some sort of super-kid? Let me guess, a former Justifier?

Sheesh, Hades is going to have such a backlog as it is, don't make more work for him, lady.

Of which there are three. Each with their own target preference and methods of hunting...

Yes, best to avoid making any noise, lad. Don't bother running, she'll probably enjoy making you die tired.

Kind of unfortunate timing, alas.

And most of them were bad people anyway. People the Fury would have happily hunted.

I doubt her rules of engagement have any provisions for mind-control.

True, Anti-Life is just a wee bit more potent than mere alcohol.

Sadly, I doubt she's going to yield to any attempt at logical analysis.

The problem is, lady, that's what it does. What it was designed to do. Would you slay someone who killed under your sister's Madness? Or would that just give you an excuse?

Honestly, I'm amazed she's paused this long to chat. Presumably fighting you would be too much of a distraction, perhaps.

Somehow, I don't think she's permitted to depopulate nearly the entire planet. Not that she cares, I bet.

...Who was under Mannheim's power. So again, not in his right mind.

A traditional method of trying to regain honour in Ancient Rome. And one he'd likely consider given what he was made to do...

And thus the disagreement with Tissy here. This will come to blows, I just know it...

I don't think she really cares whether you know anything or not, lad. It's just an excuse.

Good point. He could be halfway across the sector by now. Or drifting somewhere with his gladius in his belly.

...Oh, that's not good.

So either its owner isn't picking up, or he can't pick up, if he's aboard at all.

Certainly, I doubt she'd listen to any mortal court on the matter.

Yes, I can see Justice and Vengeance being at odds. Still, enforced by the Throne of Olympus, she'd have to back down. Just one problem, OL...

...I don't think she'll wait for that time limit to expire, either.

Yeah, OL is a master of rules-lawyering, lady. You are not trapping him with double-speak.

So, pretty much any known casualties with injuries consistent with super-strength beatdowns. Or possibly spiked lashes.

Or drove them to suicide, though I think that was one of her sisters' usual methods, not hers.

...Two weeks, at least, of her running around in full rage mode. That sounds like she'll have quite the kill-count.

Heh. Trapped by her own statement. A turnabout worthy of an Ace Attorney.

Ouch time. At least he can put Missus Hall back together after he smashes the rage out of her.

Heck, this fight is going to be tricky, given that Tisiphone probably isn't too concerned with Lyta's health as long as she can still dole out justice afterwards... Like a hostage situation, except the hostage is also the hostage-taker. And there'll still be repercussions afterwards. Let's hope Lyta doesn't remember any of the things Tissy did in her body, or she may well not appreciate OL fighting to rescue her.

18. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

‘You’
    ‘the person’
    ‘shown’
    I’d have thought that the more important thing is that a drunk person usually chooses to be drunk, whereas very few people chose to be Anti-Lifed.
    ‘on due’?
    ‘And’?
    I like a good assimilation, but I’d expect that it would result in Hall being assimilated, which I don’t think is desirable.

kerleth, KenNM, Rebu and 6 others like this.
  19. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I suppose a brand can work until he can get the two separated. Afterwards though, I hope that Paul will ensure that this won't happen again, preferably by personally ensuring the Furies are no more, replaced, or all assimilated.

Xmaster3000 and Duke Long like this.
  20. Firewillreign

Firewillreign Know what you're doing yet?

Does anyone else want to see Paul just lose it?

Like, I know he's normally in tune with his emotions and can deal with them productively, but there's just been so much shit piled on him recently, both because of the terrible circumstances and his less than ideal choices and it's only going to get worse when he figures out the depths of lysis's betrayals among other things.

Stop playing the game already, flip the board and shoot the other players, because half the assholes on the list are in dire need of a reminder that Paul isn't just the convenient nice guy, he's a terrifyingly powerful and... mostly competent Lantern who can punch way above his weight class even without calling in the Ophidian.

KenNM, VerBlinkel, Ardy and 7 others like this.
  21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"spent"

I don't think she'd care about that.

It has some similarities.

Though a drunk chose to drink.

Ahh, shit.

Maybe Themis and her are on better terms now, so Themis may take her side.

23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If the guy doesn't worship the Olympians then he won't go to Hades.

Granted, it may be possiblethat those she kills have their soul sent to Hades, no matter their faith.

I also don't think they were permitted to go after one of the big honchos of the cosmos, but they did it in the comics.

Even if it wasn't a Roman custom, he may have done it.

25. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

Kind of.

She was originally created as an Earth-2 character, a member of Infinity, Inc., which was basically the Teen Titans equivalent for the JSA. She was the daughter of the Golden Age WW and GA Steve Trevor; her husband (Hector Hall) was the son of the GA Hawkman and Hawkgirl, etc.

Post-Crisis, there was a lot of flailing around and multiple retcons to explain how the old Golden Age stories still happened more or less the same, but without the characters that had been deleted. As part of that process, Lyta Hall's new backstory is that her mother was a Greek superhero who got her powers from the Furies.

26. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Valint covered the major points, but there were a couple of details I wanted to mention.

In New Earth continuity Lyta is the daughter of Helena Kosmatos who went insane and believed she was Queen Hippolyta's daughter. The queen humored her out of a desire to not upset her. So Lyta Hall is named after her "grandmother."

Post flashpoint they went back around and Fury of Earth-2, Donna, is the daughter of Diana and the New God Steppenwolf.

So yes, no, and yes again.

27. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Finally back and through the backlog.

What does this mean? What does actual acceptance entail? Because it can't just be enough that Paul things a string of words while being all emo and bleak about it, can it?

Was there something preventing Illustress!Paul from just subspacing Justifier helmets using filaments? I forgot.

I thought that OL had already (succesfully?) attempted to bring them to Earth market? Or if not them then at least the tech based on Starman rods.

I'm so confused. Just a few chapters ago OL wasn't sure if money still had value and was thinking that the majority of the world's urban population should start farming. Like, I am more surprised that the PRC is still a thing at all than them being weird about energy generation.

With risk of getting too close to contemporary politics, I am surprised that Israel survived all of Earth's ordeals as an intact state. Especially Anti-Life.

More generally I feel like you are (until this chapter) either underestimating or underselling the aftereffects. Most of Western Europe should look like a third world country right now. Democracy, even if not dead, would have been taken offline anywhere where you didn't have someone akin to Adom shielding everything. Any country that used to be an unpopular dictatorship of some kind would have some kind of regime change as soon as people are organized enough again that government is even a thing anymore. Any country where nationality and geographic border doesn't overlap should expect massive changes in the near future.

Greece has enough parliament members to form a quorum? A mere week after the Anti-Life? Despite not having forces that could fend off the Anti-Life? Quite frankly, I don't get how any nation that didn't manage to fully fend off the Justifiers is currently not in a position comparable to being freshly liberated from the Nazis in WW2. Or worse. Because the way you described it I would have thought that the vast majority of Earth's population had a worse time than European countries had under Nazi occupation. Maybe even worse than Ethiopia under Mussolini.

me-!**
    Strange syntax.
    feels
    those
    you not want
    them
    combination of despair
    than most
    effect

28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Duke Long and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  29. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

By your own logic I sentence you to damnation!

Xmaster3000, Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  30. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

People who are that angry are often not very good at logic.

Xmaster3000, Vorian and Doccer like this.