• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

"It's a shame with don't have the resources to start an off-world colonisation program. I think we could get a lot of people to go for it. And everyone moving to towns that don't have the infrastructure is just going to create more problems than it solves."
That should say 'we'.

"And the clones?"

"I'll make one, with a better self-destruct system on the pod. I'll put-. When we get Themyscira back, I'll put one there as well. That should do for most situations."

"Is.. one still missing?"

"Oh, that's gone, now." I make a push-away motion with my right hand. "I don't know where, but I'd guess it's a toss-up between the Reach and Apokolips. It'll turn up when it turns up." I shrug. "What have you two got going on this week?"
I hope this gets resolved sooner rather than later, so that we can get the evil clone trope out of the way.

"After Mister Atom's ceremony?" Kon shrugs. "We're hitting the books. School's open again, but we were basically cutting class for two months."

"Tut tut."

M'gann looks down at the table. "Lots of kids were. It didn't get as bad as it did in some places but… People weren't really up to studying."

I nod, and check my watch.

"Alright, we should probably get going. It's not every day a former supervillain joins the Justice League."
I supposed the Justice League decided Mister Atom is too useful to not induct into their ranks. Plus, the fact that he was essential in the latest disaster should make the global population more open to a former supervillain joining, though they may need to explain what he did and why he was so essential in the first place.

"Oh, that's gone, now." I make a push-away motion with my right hand. "I don't know where, but I'd guess it's a toss-up between the Reach and Apokolips. It'll turn up when it turns up." I shrug. "What have you two got going on this week?"
I would point out here that means they should have effectively infinite clones since they can just use that as a base to clone more.

29th March 2013
15:27 GMT -5

Kon, M'gann and I watch from our seats outside the Surf's Up café as another moving van drives through Happy Harbour.

I frown. "That's three while we've been sitting here."
But coming or going? I'm betting smaller towns are proving a popular choice for relocation after the Anti-Life exposure, though. Less people to be a threat, less likely to get caught up in these world-wide crises. But there are other issues with a mass exodus from the cities...

Kon nods. "Yeah, we've been seeing a lot of new kids starting school. They've started building a whole new housing development on the south side of town."

Happy Harbour wasn't big enough for a city boss and never had a transmitter, and we could generally spare a member of the team if it looked like someone was going to get Anti-Lifed. Still…
So, like a lot of smaller towns, it wasn't really hit hard. But it'll have suffered from the near-collapse of transport infrastructure. Food and water shortages, blackouts, spotty telecommunications service, that kind of thing...

"Why? What's so special about Happy Harbour?"

M'gann shakes her head. "It's not so much about Happy Harbour as where they're moving from."
I don't foresee a lot of the bigger cities being quite as well-populated these days. Especially those that were natural targets because of superheroic presence or the like.

"But.. we… Basic services should be up and running in every city in the country by now. Rural locations are harder to fix."

Kon shrugs. "Yeah, but they didn't get damaged so much, either. In the US, the Sheeda only bothered attacking cities. And the Alliance focused on cities, too. Everyone who can get out wants to get out."
So big names like Metropolis, Gotham, Central and Star... Despite the high levels of vigilante presence, I bet they got targetted hard because of that.

That.. means… Decentralisation. Mister Atom can probably handle it, but for everyone else… Most companies have been moving towards centralised supply networks because there's usually one place where it's cheapest to make things and then why make things anywhere else? Efficient, but vulnerable. And at this point it looks like 'vulnerable' has finally become a big enough deal that everyone who can is trying to reduce that vulnerability.
I get the feeling said big companies are going to be looking into more places doing manufacturing. Even if it cuts into profits, well... Having your main plant blown up during an alien invasion or something would be worse.

M'gann nods. "Uncle J'onn says that Middleton's never been quieter. With all the people who.. died, and everyone trying to leave…"

"It's a shame with don't have the resources to start an off-world colonisation program. I think we could get a lot of people to go for it. And everyone moving to towns that don't have the infrastructure is just going to create more problems than it solves."
Yeah, that scans. A town breaking even with a couple of thousand people might struggle to supply twice or thrice that many.

Kon nods, but M'gann's frowning thoughtfully. "What if we..? Could?"

"That would be great. Did you have an idea?"
Ah, calling on Mars to lend a hand? Sure the folks can manage it?

"We can grow bigger bioships. We just haven't, because there hasn't been any demand. But with how things are on Mars, I think we could talk people into it."

"But if the starting population was low, wouldn't that still cause problems?"
Well, if there were enough Martian crew to form a suitable quorum... And human minds are probably good at making noise to keep Martian moods up.

She nods. "Martians would have to wait until the colony was bigger before moving there. But humans don't have that problem. We'd just have to provide the ships."

"There are a couple of worlds in this region that are… Places Devlos Ungol depopulated. They'd need a lot of terraforming, but they could be turned into nice places to live."
Assuming they haven't been claimed by neighbours looking to expand. 2814 may not be the liveliest sector, but there are multiple space-faring races. Earth is kind of the backwater of the sector..

Kon looks puzzled. "But Earth and Mars don't have faster than light drives. It would take centuries to get there." He looks at me. "Unless you're offering to tow them?"

"No, because I can't guarantee that I would be around if there was some sort of emergency. I mean, there shouldn't be, but…" I look away. "This wasn't supposed to happen either."
You think having a flat tire on a remote highway is bad? Imagine having ship trouble light-years from home...

"Maybe Luthor can come up with something?"

I try imagining 'Lexor'-.
Now, now, I'm sure he wouldn't insist on it being named after him... ;)

"I'm.. not happy with how much-."

"No, not our Luthor. Alexander Luthor, from the Crime Syndiate world." He frowns. "One of them, anyway."
Ah, yes. Going to have to start differentiating the various alternates now.

That's… Less of a problem. "Is he still working on fixing the financial system?"

He shakes his head. "Who do you think's buying the houses they're leaving?"
And no doubt getting them cheaper than market rate from before the disaster. At least this Luthor is more altruistic, and thus less likely to try to turn a profit?

"He's… Moving people from Negative Sixteen in?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I know, I'm don't know if moving people from an evil universe here is a great idea, but they're still people, right?"
...That sounds worrying. Can you be sure they won't indulge their more criminal urges with a perceived lower likelihood of punishment? I mean, they may see themselves as wolves amongst the lambs of Earth Sixteen... :oops:

"Maybe we should just check that their alter-egos all have extensive criminal records. I don't suppose anyone suggested taking them to demon Earth?"

M'gann frowns at me. "Paul, they've got even less infrastructure than we do. And they didn't get shown the white light like we did."
Good point. That alternate really got fucked over, didn't they? And of course, no-one's suggesting emigrating to Nazi Earth Ten. o_O ...It was Ten, right? Been a while since it was mentioned.

"Yeah, sorry, wouldn't work." I sigh. I wanted to spend time with friends today because… Things are a bit less manic now, and because I've only really seen them for… A few minutes here and there since New Year. Friendships evaporate if you don't put any work into them and… And we're talking about work and brainstorming the next step. "Alright, let's-. How's school going?"

"It's.. okay." M'gann doesn't sound okay. "The Bumblebees haven't been very… Cheerful lately. Mary's family were in Washington…"
Ouch. Yeah, I get the feeling a lot of kids are going to be... Less enthusiastic about school then they ever were.

I wince.

"And a couple of people from the church group were in the Congregation. We had their remembrance service last week."
Double Ouch.

I nod. The Congregationalists were just as susceptible to the Justifier helmets as anyone else, but if they didn't get caught they… As far as I can tell, none fell to the Anti-Life. Whether that was due to God or just the effect of having a magic connection to other people to buoy you up, I don't know.

"Not… Trying to start a loss-off or anything, but in a lot of places the Sheeda-."
Interesting. Their mental bonds giving a natural resistance? I suppose having someone able to sense you getting gloomy and give you a mental pat on the shoulder and a hug would be potent.

"I know." She nods. "But it's… Different. When it's your home, and… People you know."

"Did anyone on Mars..? Hear anything?"
Good question. Given that OL was able to pick up traces of it in orbit...

She shakes her head. "Mister Scott look Uncle J'onn to check up on everyone. A few people heard.. suffering, but it doesn't look like anyone heard the Anti-Life. Not as far as they could tell."

"That's a mercy."
And impressive, given the distances involved.I'm guessing interplanetary-range telepathy is uncommon.

"Hey, ah…" Kon looks at me. "Are you gunna rebuild your place in Bir Tawil?"

I smile and snort. "Between that and the Ice Fortress I don't have the best luck with houses. Yes, probably, but I think I'm going to have to upgrade the defences. And increase the lethality."
The drawback of having a big obvious 'Orange Lantern Lives Here' location. That's why so many capes have secret home bases.

"And the clones?"

"I'll make one, with a better self-destruct system on the pod. I'll put-. When we get Themyscira back, I'll put one there as well. That should do for most situations."
Let's hope there's some progress on that front, then. I bet more than a few people are getting worried about the Amazons.

"Is.. one still missing?"

A rather cavalier attitude to take with something that has a remote link to your soul. And even if you are resistant to external interference, you have been burnt before.

"After Mister Atom's ceremony?" Kon shrugs. "We're hitting the books. School's open again, but we were basically cutting class for two months."

"Tut tut."
I suspect the whole world's schooling systems are just writing off that entire semester.

M'gann looks down at the table. "Lots of kids were. It didn't get as bad as it did in some places but… People weren't really up to studying."

I nod, and check my watch.

"Alright, we should probably get going. It's not every day a former supervillain joins the Justice League."
Now, now. I'm sure Mister Atom was pardoned of all crimes.

So things aren't going great for Earth yet. Much more realistic than the near-immediate snap-back we see in comics, huh? Still, looks like people are slowly settling into a new normal. Services starting back up, businesses getting back into the black and governments beginning to actually govern again. Why, I bet Mister Atom is even getting his newspapers reliably now! :D

On the Stargate stuff and the Ori . . . We do know some stuff. Like that the Ori might have ascended first.

The Ori and the Ancients were one race who were "on an evolutionary path towards ascension". Those who became the Ori were the more religious members of that society, who became increasingly fervent in their beliefs. Those who became the ancients were more focused on science/rationality, becoming more progressive.

The Ancients are by nature non-violent, non-interventionist, and strongly believe in free will. To the point that they won't interfere with galactic affairs. Not even to save their own kind from being killed by the Ori, or to prevent Anubis from wiping out all life in the Milky Way. This isn't because the Ori will jump on them if they start intervening. They're just really fucking stupid.

By comparison, the Ori think that not intervening is an evil act and that because of this every Ancient is by definition an evil person because they have the ability to step in but refuse to.

The Ancients had the ability to slap down the Ori at literally any time with some of their bullshit technology, but they thought getting rid of the Ori would be philosophically and morally wrong so instead they just fled to another galaxy. That galaxy being the Milky Way.

They seeded the Milky Way with life and built up their civilization, only for it to be wrecked by a terrible plague that would prompt them to flee again. This time to the Pegasus Galaxy.

Did their life seeding and civilization building thing again. Then they got their asses handed to them by the Wraith and fled back to the Milky Way. With the Ancients deciding this time to either interbreed with Earthlings or ascend.

While this was all going on, the Ori were creating Humans of their own in their galaxy and setting up the system of worship that would be shown towards the end of Stargate. They didn't know about life in the Milky Way or Pegasus because the Ancients blocked them from seeing anything. Because to them that somehow doesn't count as non-interference.

SG1 poking around causes the Ori to discover the Milky Way regardless. The Ori can't directly fuck over the Milky Way, because the Ancients would stop them, but they can use their worshippers as proxies and I guess that's fine.

Oh, and supposedly the Ori had genuinely good intentions when they first started doing their thing. But the power boost from being worshipped made them very quickly change their mind about helping people to actually ascend.

That sounds worrying. Can you be sure they won't indulge their more criminal urges with a perceived lower likelihood of punishment? I mean, they may see themselves as wolves amongst the lambs of Earth Sixteen... :oops:

Luthor may have thought of that and chosen people that are less likely to do that.

Good point. That alternate really got fucked over, didn't they? And of course, no-one's suggesting emigrating to Nazi Earth Ten. o_O ...It was Ten, right? Been a while since it was mentioned.

Yeah, I think so.

And the people of Earth 16 already had their heads polluted with the ideas of one insane megalomaniac, they don't need them polluted with more insane ideas.

Still really annoys me that Paul isn't pulling any humanitarian relief from his corps.Sure, he can't always be around, but he's definitely in the position where having a different OL or some darkstars or even a civilian embassy be stationed on Earth 24/7 would be worth it to the Reach war effort. Even if it only keeps Paul available 1 extra day a year, well Paul may not be able to win a fight outright against 365 lanterns, but he's definitely capable of accomplishing deeds that 365 lanterns could not manage.

Kon looks puzzled. "But Earth and Mars don't have faster than light drives. It would take centuries to get there." He looks at me. "Unless you're offering to tow them?"
Earth does actually have FTL drives. Superman has been sitting on them and was recently convinced to open up his toy box.

So what? Both of them were only in school for the social interaction. They don't need to learn the actual material.

Huh, had to check the chapter list to see the previous part of this one, heh.

But I have to ask, why are some chapters marked new? Did I miss them, or did they get shadow updated after I read them? Weird.

"Well, she's ruled Equestria for over a thousand years! And I've never even heard of her doing anything that wasn't something to do with that."

"What did she do before that?"

"Uh." Pinkie Pie stares straight forward, her eyes wide. "Before? I can't-. I mean, they weren't in charge in the Hearthwarming story, so I guess she wasn't always in charge?" She taps her chin with her right front hoof. "It's just-. She's-. The.. Princess."

She shakes her head, her hair blurring-. Is her muzzle bending, or is that just an optical illusion?

"What kinda things did you do when you were in charge?"

"I…"

There is no Easter Bunny, queen of England, and the princess has always been the princess

I had been going ti bring up that there are still all the people that Mistress moved from their earth to negative 16. Are they going ti come back or have they decides to stay put.

Still really annoys me that Paul isn't pulling any humanitarian relief from his corps.Sure, he can't always be around, but he's definitely in the position where having a different OL or some darkstars or even a civilian embassy be stationed on Earth 24/7 would be worth it to the Reach war effort. Even if it only keeps Paul available 1 extra day a year, well Paul may not be able to win a fight outright against 365 lanterns, but he's definitely capable of accomplishing deeds that 365 lanterns could not manage.
Paul has SI syndrome, SI syndrome is a condition where a character thinks they have to do everything by themselves instead of utilizing other personnel to do it.

"if their alter-egos"

I believe the idea is that since stuff on Negative Sixteen is opposite, if the people in Positive Sixteen have criminal records then their Negative Sixteen counterparts should be more law-abiding than normal. So they want to make sure all the Positive Sixteen alter-egos have extensive criminal records.

Unreal (part 3)
29th March 2013
16:23 GMT -5

"…deal to learn before I am ready to assume my proper station as your supreme autocrat. Vote Mister Atom Twenty Fifty Six." He leans slightly forward. "That is important. I will remind you again closer to the time."

Next to me, Kon snorts as Mr. Atom turns to shake William's hand. He looks slightly awkward about the whole thing. Mr. Atom might be rehabilitated but he isn't anything like resocialised. Or maybe he still feels a bit bad about the whole 'temper tantrum' thing.

"I guess that's an improvement."

I nod. "It wouldn't have occurred to him to need to remind people."

"I meant the way he's not trying to nuke the whole world or something. That puts him way ahead of Red Volcano."

"Interesting point." I frown. "I wonder why he hasn't ever attempted to build an even better robot?"

"'cause he doesn't want the competition?"

"I don't think he thinks like that. If he did, then he'd still be trying to destroy the Justice League rather than learn from them."

M'gann looks puzzled. "You.. know robots don't have reproductive urges, right?"

"Well, he doesn't."

"So why would he try making a better robot when he could just upgrade himself?"

Actually… "I don't think he has upgraded himself. Learned new things, yes, but his.. physical structure's basically the same as when he was built. Doctor Sivana was pretty literal about it when I asked him to rebuild him." I glance around-. "Oh, look out."

Catherine Grant and attendant film crew are heading towards us, presumably having finished filming Mr. Atom's induction.

Kon smirks. "Why do I need to watch out? I just read the autocue."

M'gann's eyes glow for a moment. "Uncle J'onn wants us to remember our media training, but he trusts us."

"Orange Lantern!"

I briefly look up at the heavens as Kon pats me on the back, pushing me forwards.

"Miss Grant. Glad to see that you're looking well."

"That's the makeup."

"Ah..?"

She notes my concern, and shakes her head. "All I got was a few grey hairs and a few new wrinkles. They had me doing propaganda broadcasts, so I was too useful to… You know." I nod. "I'm on the Botox waiting list, but cosmetic procedures aren't going to be a priority."

"Have you considered not injecting poison into your perfectly pleasant face?"

"Sure, but I actually like this job. Can you say a few words on camera?"

"Y-es, but I'm obliged to tell you that anything I say represents my own personal opinion and is not a-"

She nods, right hand resting on her hip as she waits for me to finish.

"-statement of Justice League policy, or representative of the personal feelings of any Justice League member."

"Do you want us to show the disclaimer?"

"It'll go up on the League website if I cause a problem. Is this going to be live..?"

Behind me, Kon snorts.

"No, if we use anything you say it'll get edited and played this evening at the earliest."

"That's a relief. I think Batman gets a notification if I get within a hundred metres of a media personality, and given how overworked he is he'll probably need the extra time to get into your servers." I rub my hands together theatrically. "Okay, let's go."

She comes a little closer, standing side-on so that the camera can see her face. The cameraman aims at us and then gives her a nod.

"Orange Lantern, how do you feel about Mister Atom joining the Justice League?"

"He made himself indispensable over the whole Anti-Life crisis and during the reconstruction. Making him a League member only made sense."

"What do you have to say to people who think that his criminal record should bar him from membership?"

"If they know someone better, they should feel free to nominate them. There's still plenty of work to go around."

"So as long as they need him, what he did before doesn't matter?"

"I wouldn't go that far. However, between the overwhelming need, his disinterest in reoffending and the fact that when he committed those crimes he was about ten minutes old, I think this is warranted."

"'Ten minutes old'?"

"He was activated about ten minutes before committing his first crime."

"And he started as he meant to go on?"

"He had no idea who he was, where he was or what he was for, and the only people who could have told him died when the workshop where he was built exploded. We didn't change his programming to make this happen. We just talked through his goals with him and convinced him there were better ways to go about them."

"Ruling the world?"

I shrug. "Everyone's got to have an ambition."

"And that hasn't happened already?"

"No, he'd sound a lot happier if he'd already taken over the world."

"I mean, the United Nations General Assembly hasn't had a proper meeting since the.. Anti-Life affected everyone. The world is still in chaos and the Justice League is rebuilding without consulting world governments." I nod. It is and we are. "And with the Justice League issuing its own currency, it's not clear that it still needs UN funding. Do you think it's fair to say that the Justice League has 'gone rogue'?"

I hear M'gann's intake of breath. "I'll call Batman."

"Already did."

"The founders of the League didn't need UN permission to fight crime individually. They didn't need it to coordinate their efforts when they founded the League. The charter is legally helpful, but anyone who thinks that they'd stop if they didn't have it is deluded."

"So you're saying they'd always been rogue?"

"'Rogue' is what the people who think they're in power call those they don't control. Are you saying that the League are doing too much good?"

"But surely you can see how it could be a problem if they're not accountable to anyone?"

"Has having leaders accountable to the electorate every four years prevented corruption? Think of it as.. a locus of power issue."

She's trying not to smile too much. "What do you mean by that?"

"The political establishment has power. The fact that the makeup of the establishment is split down the middle between two -or more- competing groups doesn't matter, because that means that everyone participates and accepts the system as legitimate. Don't like the person in a particular office? Wait four or eight years and there'll be someone else. Might even be you. And in a roundabout way, that's why the United States military shuffles its officers so much these days; to prevent them bonding with a particular group of soldiers and potentially form an alternate locus of power through personal relationships."

"Superheroes are worse. Individuals who have the power to stand against the state, self-selecting for selflessness and public service. That's attractive. And they don't work for the state, so that good feeling doesn't link back to reinforce government authority or power."

"So do you want the Justice League to take over the world?"

I shrug with both arms. "It's not about what I want. What do you want? What do you think a world run by the Justice League would actually look like? What do you think the League would do that they can't do now, and would that be good or bad?"

She nods, more in gratitude for getting something controversial than because she actually understood the point I'm making. "That's definitely food for thought. Orange Lantern, thank you for speaking to us."

Last edited:
Actually… "I don't think he has upgraded himself. Learned new things, yes, but his.. physical structure's basically the same as when he was build. Doctor Sivana was pretty literal about it when I asked him to rebuild him." I glance around-. "Oh, look out."
"He had no idea who he was, where he was or what he was for, and the only people who could have told him died when the workshop where he was build exploded. We didn't change his programming to make this happen. We just talked through his goals with him and convinced him there were better ways to go about them."
Those should say 'built'.

"I mean, the United Nations General Assembly hasn't had a proper meeting since the.. Anti-Life affected everyone. The world is still in chaos and the Justice League is rebuilding without consulting world governments." I nod. It is and we are. "And with the Justice League issuing its own currency, it's not clear that it still needs UN funding. Do you think it's fair to say that the Justice League has 'gone rogue'?"

"Already did."
I'm glad at least Kon has realized that he should contact Batman every time Paul talks to the media.

"The political establishment has power. The fact that the makeup of the establishment is split down the middle between two -or more- competing groups doesn't matter, because that means that everyone participates and accepts the system as legitimate. Don't like the person in a particular office? Wait four or eight years and there'll be someone else. Might even be you. And in a roundabout way, that's why the United States military shuffles its officers so much these days; to prevent them bonding with a particular group of soldiers and potentially form an alternate locus of power through personal relationships."

"Superheroes are worse. Individuals who have the power to stand against the state, self-selecting for selflessness and public service. That's attractive. And they don't work for the state, so that good feeling doesn't link back to reinforce government authority or power."

I shrug with both arms. "It's not about what I want. What do you want? What do you think a world run by the Justice League would actually look like? What do you think the League would do that they can't do now, and would that be good or bad?"

She nods, more in gratitude for getting something controversial than because she actually understood the point I'm making. "That's definitely food for thought. Orange Lantern, thank you for speaking to us."
Things like this make me hope some of the more radical members of the superhero and supervillain community will reach out to Paul to try and either get his advice or offer assistance. The first one that comes to mind is Anarky, though I can't remember what last happened to him in this story in either timeline.

Replying to Vaermina:

What makes you think they let him? What could they do to stop him?
Tell him he's not allowed to talk to the press.

He doesn't care enough to fight it after all. So that should be all that's needed to put a stop to his consistently setting back their diplomatic efforts.

29th March 2013
16:23 GMT -5

"…deal to learn before I am ready to assume my proper station as your supreme autocrat. Vote Mister Atom Twenty Fifty Six." He leans slightly forward. "That is important. I will remind you again closer to the time."

Next to me, Kon snorts as Mr. Atom turns to shake William's hand. He looks slightly awkward about the whole thing. Mr. Atom might be rehabilitated but he isn't anything like resocialised. Or maybe he still feels a bit bad about the whole 'temper tantrum' thing.
And of course Mister Atom is already putting his name out there, despite it being about thirty-five years before he could legally run. And Billy feeling a little embarrassed about being stuck in the public eye as Atom does so. :D

"I guess that's an improvement."

I nod. "It wouldn't have occurred to him to need to remind people."
Ah, yes. Because most of the current generation of voters will be middle-aged or seniors by the time he can run. On the upside, he can get an early start on the next generation or two. :sneaky:

"I meant the way he's not trying to nuke the whole world or something. That puts him way ahead of Red Volcano."

"Interesting point." I frown. "I wonder why he hasn't ever attempted to build an even better robot?"
Odd how many artificial life-forms in comics turn out to be omnicidal lunatics.

"'cause he doesn't want the competition?"

"I don't think he thinks like that. If he did, then he'd still be trying to destroy the Justice League rather than learn from them."
Why try to beat them when you can join them, after all?

M'gann looks puzzled. "You.. know robots don't have reproductive urges, right?"

"Well, he doesn't."
That would get a bit weird, really. A synth so human, it gets horny for humanity? :oops: Well, as long at it understands consent...

"So why would he try making a better robot when he could just upgrade himself?"

Actually… "I don't think he has upgraded himself. Learned new things, yes, but his.. physical structure's basically the same as when he was build. Doctor Sivana was pretty literal about it when I asked him to rebuild him." I glance around-. "Oh, look out."
Probably just made refinements to ensure his longevity. And maybe minimise the chance of accidental irradiation of bystanders.

Catherine Grant and attendant film crew are heading towards us, presumably having finished filming Mr. Atom's induction.

Kon smirks. "Why do I need to watch out? I just read the autocue."
Oh, dear, here's trouble. I can already picture Batman getting a headache without knowing why.

M'gann's eyes glow for a moment. "Uncle J'onn wants us to remember our media training, but he trusts us."

"Orange Lantern!"
Somehow, I don't think she has eyes for anyone but OL. He's always such a goldmine of ratings.

I briefly look up at the heavens as Kon pats me on the back, pushing me forwards.

"Miss Grant. Glad to see that you're looking well."
Surprised she came out of the whole thing in good shape.

"That's the makeup."

"Ah..?"
...Well, okay shape, then. :oops:

She notes my concern, and shakes her head. "All I got was a few grey hairs and a few new wrinkles. They had me doing propaganda broadcasts, so I was too useful to… You know." I nod. "I'm on the Botox waiting list, but cosmetic procedures aren't going to be a priority."

"Have you considered not injecting poison into your face?"
Seriously, that is nasty shit. :confused: The things some people do in their obsession over maintaining a fading beauty...

"Sure, but I actually like this job. Can you say a few words on camera?"

"Y-es, but I'm obliged to tell you that anything I say represents my own personal opinion and is not a-"
This has the feel of a long-suffering and well-practiced speech.

She nods, right hand resting on her hip as she waits for me to finish.

"-statement of Justice League policy, or representative of the feels of any Justice League member."
No doubt many a candid interviewer has had to wait out this little declaration.

"Do you want us to show the disclaimer?"

"It'll go up on the League website if I cause a problem. Is this going to be live..?"
Batman: "My Bat-media debacle-sense is tingling..."
Talia: "You don't have superpowers..."
Batman: "This isn't a superpower, just a side-effect of knowing Orange Lantern."

Behind me, Kon snorts.

"No, if we use anything you say it'll get edited and played this evening at the earliest."
Thanks goodness for that. No time pressure, so OL can plan his responses a bit better.

"That's a relief. I think Batman gets a notification if I get within a hundred metres of a media personality, and given how overworked he is he'll probably need the extra time to get into your servers." I rub my hands together theatrically. "Okay, let's go."

She comes a little closer, standing side-on so that the camera can see her face. The cameraman aims at us and then gives her a nod.
If nothing else, just to make sure nothing objectionable gets said or seen...

"Orange Lantern, how do you feel about Mister Atom joining the Justice League?"

"He made himself indispensable over the whole Anti-Life crisis and during the reconstruction. Making him a League member only made sense."
Surprised they didn't have more prospective members suggested. Then again, each added member does make it harder to introduce new members. Unless they finally fixed that little 'unanimous vote' stipulation.

"What do you have to say to people who think that his criminal record should bar him from membership?"

"If they know someone better, they should feel free to nominate them. There's still plenty of work to go around."
And besides, I expect his work with the League earned a full pardon anyway.

"So as long as they need him, what he did before doesn't matter?"

"I wouldn't go that far. However, between the overwhelming need, his disinterest in reoffending and the fact that when he committed those crimes he was about ten minutes old, I think this is warranted."
...Heh. I suppose that's a good excuse. Synthetic lifeforms do tend to have moral issues in the first few hours of consciousness.

"'Ten minutes old'?"

"He was activated about ten minutes before committing his first crime."
And now I'm reminded of a Transformers movie fic which postulates that Allspark-generated bots (like the drinks machine bot or the killer phone) were so violent because they were babies with nothing but defensive instincts to go off. ('Things We Don't Tell Humans'...)

"And he started as he meant to go on?"

"He had no idea who he was, where he was or what he was for, and the only people who could have told him died when the workshop where he was build exploded. We didn't change his programming to make this happen. We just talked through his goals with him and convinced him there were better ways to go about them."
Which is a lot more than a lot of them get. Usually due to the violently rebellious behaviour. Basically, the edgy teenage years. :p

"Ruling the world?"

I shrug. "Everyone's got to have an ambition."
And honestly, he'd probably make things better for people than anyone else would. Because happy humans are complacent humans.

"And that hasn't happened already?"

"No, he'd sound a lot happier if he'd already taken over the world."
Of course he would. Fulfilling his desires so completely? Who wouldn't be happy?

Oh, boy, is that ever a loaded question. And she has it pointed right at OL's head.

"Already did."

"The founders of the League didn't need UN permission to fight crime individually. They didn't need it to coordinate their efforts when they founded the League. The charter is legally helpful, but anyone who thinks that they'd stop if they didn't have it is deluded."
Ah, yes. The question being 'How do you stop Superman doing whatever he wants?' Never mind all the other powerhouses on the team. And because certain people in power are selfish assholes, they assume everyone else is. Paranoia at its worst.

"So you're saying they'd always been rogue?"

"'Rogue' is what the people who think they're in power call those they don't control. Are you saying that the League are doing too much good?"
Definitely more than the paranoid ones would like, certainly. They'd like a nice, status quo-friendly little supergroup...

"But surely you can see how it could be a problem if they're not accountable to anyone?"

"Has having leaders accountable to the electorate every four years prevented corruption? Think of it as.. a locus of power issue."

She's trying not to smile too much. "What do you mean by that?"
Where is the power concentrated in this world? The people sitting in marble-faced buildings, yelling at each other over points of contention in their proposed laws and ordinances... Or the people everyone sees out there fighting threats that would destroy the governed?

For a good example, look to Roman history. They had decades of issues with generals getting sick of those in charge and deciding that maybe someone else could do it better.

Pfft, no. Can you picturing the Justice League sitting around doing paperwork?

At the very least, perhaps they'll realise that leaving the defence of the world to a couple of dozen people with no official support structures might make for unwanted stress. And the last thing you want is a stressed person of mass destruction.

Well, I think he handled that well. No outright controversial statements, just posing some interesting questions for people to think about. And a very good question it is. What would a world ruled by superheroes look like? Especially if people could gain superpowers more easily than they can now thanks to research into things like the Danner Formula...

Two instances of "build" should be "built".
Thank you, but-
Those should say 'built'.
-I do prefer it if you can say which ones.
Me said:
or representative of the personal feelings of any
injecting poison into your perfectly pleasant face
And now I'm reminded of a Transformers movie fic which postulates that Allspark-generated bots (like the drinks machine bot or the killer phone) were so violent because they were babies with nothing but defensive instincts to go off. ('Things We Don't Tell Humans'...)
I was thinking of a Kim Possible fanfic where Shego asks him what he plans to do once he's conquered the world. Turns out it was 'get priority boarding' and 'solve problems for people'.
What did you think mission reports and briefing papers are?

Last edited:
Replying to Vaermina:

What makes you think they let him? What could they do to stop him?

I'm honestly now picturing a scenario in which the League asks Dr Mist or some other wizard is they can place a spell on Paul that would manifest an indestructible gag around his mouth anytime he even so much as thinks about the "journalist", "reporter" or media.

And of course Mister Atom is already putting his name out there, despite it being about thirty-five years before he could legally run.

Given the ludicrous nature of American elections, it pays to start early.

That would get a bit weird, really. A synth so human, it gets horny for humanity? :oops: Well, as long at it understands consent...

And hopefully the humans and robots will be okay with both of their kinds intermingling.

Though hopefully the robots won't try any extreme methods to fit in.

And honestly, he'd probably make things better for people than anyone else would. Because happy humans are complacent humans.

Or in the words of Roose Bolton.

A peaceful land, a quiet people.

I'm reminded of an episode of Supermansion where Dr. Devizo, a supervillain pretending to be a superhero, has to do a lot of paperwork for what his team has been doing.

A lot of it was concentrated on the various sexual assaults the intelligent squirrel on his team has committed.

I'm honestly now picturing a scenario in which the League asks Dr Mist or some other wizard is they can place a spell on Paul that would manifest an indestructible gag around his mouth anytime he even so much as thinks about the "journalist", "reporter" or media.
As much as keeping him away from reporters can be a joke. I do have to wonder if OL has a following that appropriates his willingness to be frank about some of these issues.

And I'm not just talking about how reporters probably see him as a goldmine of sound bites. But how some civilians can see that he is willing to state his own views instead of how the JL would likely just restate a press release in their own words.

Why did Cat Grant Age?

Did the anti life affect the aging process?

And are any of the negative affects permanent?

I imagine after being blasted by the white light entity, it'll be even easier for humans to ascend in one form or another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back