• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Batman is effectively a well-trained human with top level equipment if he focused his resources he could have multiple batmen on the payroll for Wayne industries as a sort of private police force, or get a contract for the government for it to be a public police force spreading and making his tech publically available improving earth's chances in any world-ending apocalypse.

Sure one batman has saved the world, but what if there was 10, 20, 100, 1000 or more all running around the earth (or at least the US) saving people and solving crimes.
You're describing both the Batfamily and Batman Inc.

Wayne Enterprises has the kind of resources that would make the richest man in the real world look like a pauper. I don't know if his actual net worth has ever been mentioned, but I have seen an analysis that if he had a mere $100 billion he could afford to operate as Batman for all of 2 years before he went bankrupt.

That's the kind of resources it would take to end world hunger forever. Consider that for a minute. If Bruce Wayne put his mind and the entire might of his company to the task he could ensure that no child ever starved to death again within five or ten years. He's got scientists working for him who, if put on such a project, could most likely work out a way to turn the Sahara green again and suck greenhouse gasses out of the atmosphere. At the very least they could crack fusion, which...well, go read some essays on just how big fusion will be once we crack it. With the kind of wealth and skilled labor at his disposal the possibilities are limitless.
That sure looks like a no-limits fallacy to me. We already know Bruce donates shedloads to charity and social improvement. If it's not changing the world, maybe it's because even his money can't do everything, in-universe. He already has enough trouble just helping Gotham.

Um, yeah. Not sure what an evil version of Themyscira would be like, al.. though… America isn't evil. It's just that a few people changed ends. Themyscira might be exactly the same.
Given that the Amazons are all considered low level Hero's I am guessing in crime universe they were an empire of woman that went around killing most men and raping those they didn't to reproduce that was overthrown by the actually virtuous Hercules and driven into the sea...

She sits up and turns so that her feet are planted on the floor, then rises to her feet. "I do not fear death so much as dying with my work incomplete. Still, it is pleasant to be away from that place." She takes the staff in her right hand and the Star Sapphire in her left, a faint violet glow enveloping her at once. She holds it for a moment and the pulls, the Sapphire coming free of the staff.
Is... Is... Paul really going to let her keep that?

Because we know for a fact he hasn't checked it's importance with the Guardians... And in a number of continuities the Star Sapphire is kind of a "Universal Cornerstone" that's needed for the universe to keep existing right...

Because we know for a fact he hasn't checked it's importance with the Guardians... And in a number of continuities the Star Sapphire is kind of a "Universal Cornerstone" that's needed for the universe to keep existing right...
Which is probably why Earth-16's The Star Sapphire is most likely safely inside the Earth-16 Violet Central Power Battery, as opposed to a Star Sapphire having been the power stone that drove Carol Ferris-16 crazy.

Which is probably why Earth-16's The Star Sapphire is most likely safely inside the Earth-16 Violet Central Power Battery, as opposed to a Star Sapphire having been the power stone that drove Carol Ferris-16 crazy.
While Zoat could certain write that since he's the author.

Paul never checked.

Which means as far as Paul knows he just gave away something that by no longer existing in his universe could royally screw over said universe.

"If we get desperate we can chase down Power Ring Green's gauntlet."

She nods. "So what now?"

That, uh, is not a good idea. Affirming her self-identity right now could be almost as toxic as overloading her with Violet energy.

Once she's in a healthier mindstate, though, having a Green Power Gauntlet that she can use either as a Power Ring or use in tandem with her magic.

Which means as far as Paul knows he just gave away something that by no longer existing in his universe could royally screw over said universe.
Except Zoat is exceedingly unlikely to write his character knowingly doing something that would endanger the entire universe, since that is the exact opposite of what Orange Lantern would do.

So the most likely explanation is simply that you're wrong, and the Star Sapphire is not critically important to Earth-16, and Paul (having researched and worked with it more than a little) is reasonably certain of this.

Through the viewing window I see Dame Ferris stagger and collapse. A moment later Olympia walks in with some worrying-looking chains and a full head container.
What about clothes? Or did OL give her something? Edit: Scratch that, I checked back, she was wearing armor.

"Olympia wanted to conquer the world. Heh, when you get access to our database, take a look at the file on Themysciran culture. It's an eye-opener."
I'm predicting: Man-hating warrior culture who failed in their bid to conquer Greece when Hercules booted them away (As Vaermina noted), and Ares sealed them on their island?

"And get what? I told you, we were already untouchable. And because of that, we got a rather inflated idea of our ability to do anything other than wreck the place."
It's like a dog chasing a car. God knows what they'd do if they caught it ;)

"Destruction is the work of a moment. Creation, the work of a lifetime."
And doesn't this just highlight OL's philosophy so well?

"What the hell did I know about civil administration? Trash collection, electricity, water, sewage… Law enforcement. I managed a bit better than Whizzer-"
Yes, folks, that was actually a golden-age hero name. Largely because of the 'whizzing' noise he made when he ran.

Well, that was… Revealing. What happens to a power tripper when the power trip ends? When the drugs don't work? When the high you expect doesn't come, when your reputation and ego take a huge blow…
Great high, but coming down from it is a bitch.

"Yeah, maybe. Hell, if you can talk Wilson down it'd be worth it. But I think Blue would be disappointed if you died, so just you remember they ain't your kinda people."
Yes, this whole world has a topsy-turvy morality. These are people living in a world where bad guys get ahead, and good people are their prey...

"I need to tall my Dad where I am. They're probably already looking for us."
"I need to tell my Dad where I am. They're probably already looking for us."

I float Dame Carol before me as we head out into.. a dark disused dockside warehouse. I can hear the subdued sounds of the city in the background, and the lapping of water somewhere closer.
So, Shadowcrest -14 has a taste for cliche.

She holds it for a moment and the pulls, the Sapphire coming free of the staff.
She holds it for a moment and then pulls, the Sapphire coming free of the staff.

She shakes her head and places the Sapphire against her breastbone where it grows a faint violet crystal peytral. "Star Sapphires are trained to avoid losing ourselves to our passions. I had long suspected that the lesson was a holdover from ancient times. I suppose that now I have proof."
According to Google, a Peytral is a piece of horse armor... Perhaps a Gorget or Pixane?

Well, time for research! Which could pretty much consist of "Ring, local American history. Go."

Last edited:
Except Zoat is exceedingly unlikely to write his character knowingly doing something that would endanger the entire universe, since that is the exact opposite of what Orange Lantern would do.

So the most likely explanation is simply that you're wrong, and the Star Sapphire is not critically important to Earth-16, and Paul (having researched and worked with it more than a little) is reasonably certain of this.
Orange Lantern has a history of failing to consider the long term consequences of his actions...

He quite literally got called out on it.

What about clothes? Or did OL give her something? Admittedly, I may have missed what she was wearing, if anything.
No further clothing, but she's not really wearing any less than a lot of superheroines are happy flying around in.
"Olympia wanted to conquer the world. Heh, when you get access to our database, take a look at the file on Themysciran culture. It's an eye-opener."
I'm predicting: Man-hating warrior culture who failed in their bid to conquer Greece when Hercules booted them away (As Vaermina noted), and Ares sealed them on their island?
No. If anything, they're actually more man-friendly than their Themyscira 16 sisters.
She shakes her head and places the Sapphire against her breastbone where it grows a faint violet crystal peytral. "Star Sapphires are trained to avoid losing ourselves to our passions. I had long suspected that the lesson was a holdover from ancient times. I suppose that now I have proof."
According to Google, a Peytral is a piece of horse armor... Perhaps a Gorget or Pixane?
Thank you, corrected.

No further clothing, but she's not really wearing any less than a lot of superheroines are happy flying around in.
Yes, I checked back after posting, didn't notice the mention of a gambeson. Which actually sounds conservative compared to the usual leotard, mini-dress or catsuit.

No. If anything, they're actually more man-friendly than their Themyscira 16 sisters.
I noticed the lack of comment on Hercules kicking them out of Greece, or the gods' sealing them away. Is that accurate, then? I could see them being favoured by Ares given some versions of their history...

Being willing to interact with the opposite gender isn't the same as being friendly toward them. This is especially true when the default interaction, to the point where it's the primary objective of military operations, involves raping and murdering them.

No, there is no Violet Central Power Battery, the Star Sapphire they gave Carol was their
equivalent of one. And it doesent look as if there are any other Star Sapphire crystals.
"So you're telling me, you had what was basically a Central Power BatteryAnd you lost it?"

Queen Aga'po is being surprisingly patient with Jordan, really. I'm sure that if he tried this with the Guardians they'd have his ring off his finger before he reached the end of the first sentence of his diatribe. Or maybe I'm being unfair. Maybe Maltusians just don't care about mortal creatures mouthing off at them, regardless of their professional relationship?

"Our brothers and sisters would not share their research. The Star Sapphire was our attempt to recreate the technology from first principles."

"Okay, but… Then what? You just tossed it out at random?"

"We were curious to see whether, divergent as we are now, cooperation between our agents and those of the Guardians was possible. Your beloved appeared to be a good choice. Sad, that you neglected her so."

Last edited:
Wasn't the -14 version of Jay Garrick (original Flash) called Slipstream? Or is this the new official name?

There is a Slipstream in the comics anyway....

reign230-1.jpg

They were never officially named a Crime Syndicate, but since they are evil versions of Fire, Ice, Flash, Green Arrow, Elongated Man, Metamorpho, and Blue Beetle, that's the common opinion, also Hal's in universe theory, but no one got around to actually asking them.

Their usual MO is rather different though, they do a protection racket. They cause disasters and then rescue the people who pay them for the privilege.

Norman the Doorman, a wannabe superhero whose ability is to summon up rifts to other universes, mistook them for actual superheroes, and summoned them to be Conglomerate members.

I did find those guy but precisely because they weren't explicitly, that I recall, mentioned as a Crime Syndicate I don't think they count that much. In fact, I don't think they ever showed up again?

Orange Lantern has a history of failing to consider the long term consequences of his actions...

He quite literally got called out on it.
Setting aside the fact that, no, the Star Sapphire is almost certainly not critical to the existence of the universe, and OL is probably aware of such because he helped make the staff that it's been sitting in... and we have reasonable in-story clues for all of this...

You said:
you said:
"Which means as far as Paul knows he just gave away something that by no longer existing in his universe could royally screw over said universe."
Which is untrue. OL would not casually destroy his universe.

Also, the person who called him out was/is focused on stalling the advancement of humanity and keeping them in a modern dark age, and as such OL is effectively his mortal enemy because he stands for the exact opposite of that.

Calling him out could easily have just been a attempt to instill doubt; IIRC, everything that OL insisted on double-checking afterwards was perfectly fine and all of his concerns were revealed to be unwarranted.

Being willing to interact with the opposite gender isn't the same as being friendly toward them. This is especially true when the default interaction, to the point where it's the primary objective of military operations, involves raping and murdering them.
I put the...

[briefly froths at the mouth]

The Nu52 version as an example of an evil Themyscira. Themyscira -14 isn't actually like that.
Probably should be: "Rood ot erehwemos esle."
Thank you, corrected.

I put the...

[briefly froths at the mouth]

The Nu52-
I wonder if the final plot twist is that OL is actually real, and he's writing a SI story about a universe that is boring, but everything makes sense.

Nu52 would be the equivalent of OL's name; something nigh-impossible for him to say. Maybe that's the continuity of the OL that decided to write him.

I wonder if the final plot twist is that OL is actually real, and he's writing a SI story about a universe that is boring, but everything makes sense.
Implying that everything makes sense in this universe.

My guess on the plot twist is... If you can fork an arbitrarily large number of Pauls for an arbitrarily large number of continuities, do you really need to remove the original from his native universe in order to do so?

Setting aside the fact that, no, the Star Sapphire is almost certainly not critical to the existence of the universe, and OL is probably aware of such because he helped make the staff that it's been sitting in... and we have reasonable in-story clues for all of this...
I am guessing you don't know the history of the Star Sapphire...

So here's the TLDR version... In some continuities it contains the dormant Predator... You know... The embodiment of Love... Who's removal from the universe would, over the next few months, cause love to fade away.

Finally, Orange Lantern is not an expert on Emotional Spectrum technology. And the one time he attempted to contact the only group who would have been able to confirm whether the dormant Predator was inside the Star Sapphire he got chased away by giant fuck off beams.

I am guessing you don't know the history of the Star Sapphire...

So here's the TLDR version... In some continuities it contains the dormant Predator... You know... The embodiment of Love... Who's removal from the universe would, over the next few months, cause love to fade away.

Finally, Orange Lantern is not an expert on Emotional Spectrum technology. And the one time he attempted to contact the only group who would have been able to confirm whether the dormant Predator was inside the Star Sapphire he got chased away by giant fuck off beams.
You really, really need to stop bringing in every niche continuity from every corner of the DC verse as evidence. Zoat is using a very small selection of continuities, handpicking attributes from them, flat out writing his own continuity at some points, and ignoring or outright denying the existence of others.

The fact that some continuity does X has about as much bearing on the story as the weekly temperature forecast in Liberia.

That aside, OL is a empath, and from what we've seen of embodiments they tend to be a bit... energetic. When the Ophidian was sitting inside OL's ring, he had a few minutes until it violently exploded from the strain. Not to mention that you could tell just by looking at it that there was a energy field inside it, and that energy field was way bigger than anyone's head. And when the Ophidian took up residence in his lantern, it glowed intensely.

If the (primitive, compared to a power ring/lantern) Star Sapphire had the Predator in it, it'd be glowing up a storm as indicated by how embodiments and the storing thereof has been shown to work in ZOAT'S universe. Not to mention that, for a empath, it'd probably be a bit like staring into the sun. And also not to mention, that, while working to build a containment system to safely channel its energy, OL and (IIRC) Constantine probably would've noticed things like "Holy shit, this crystal has enough power in it to move planets!". And also also not to mention that OL is experienced enough with Emotional Spectrum technology to build his own (admittedly crude) lantern as a demonstration.

Just because you haven't appealed to the relevant authority does not mean you can't be reasonably sure of something. I'm fairly certain my computer doesn't have any plutonium in it, but hey, I haven't checked with a nuclear regulator, so how would I know? It could be filled with plutonium, even though I've opened it up a few times for maintenance and new parts. You never know!

There are a number of people talking about Wayne Enterprises, and how it's money can fix everything.

https://wolfstreet.com/2018/04/17/nearly-one-third-of-u-s-lottery-winners-declare-bankruptcy/

There is a lot of evidence that giving people money can, and often does, make things worse. Fixing lives takes fixing people, and our psychologists are not particualy good at that.

A thug remains a thug, even if they have millions, or superpowers. A gold digger? The same.

Money can help, a lot. But..... It's got to be spent right. Finding people who want to change, and giving them a chance, for example. I think the thinking required is more important than the resources, no matter how much.

However, a mega-corp in town means a lot of jobs, and that'll help quite a bit. Wayne Enterprises does it's bit, I'm sure.

So batman's fanatic insanity puts him on a level above what normal humans can achieve? I'm not sure I quite understand, surely even then one would be able to find at least a few other people with equally strong 'vows' or at least with a genetic disposition to channel the light of the emotional spectrum, or at least someone who's been through similar circumstances.
(Oh wait that's basically Nightwing, Batgirl, Red Hood and the Robins my bad.)

In a comic world yes, in a rational one...

Wait wasn't Batman incorporated a thing? so just upscale that.
You're describing both the Batfamily and Batman Inc.

I noticed friend

There are a number of people talking about Wayne Enterprises, and how it's money can fix everything.

https://wolfstreet.com/2018/04/17/nearly-one-third-of-u-s-lottery-winners-declare-bankruptcy/

There is a lot of evidence that giving people money can, and often does, make things worse. Fixing lives takes fixing people, and our psychologists are not particualy good at that.

A thug remains a thug, even if they have millions, or superpowers. A gold digger? The same.

Money can help, a lot. But..... It's got to be spent right. Finding people who want to change, and giving them a chance, for example. I think the thinking required is more important than the resources, no matter how much.

However, a mega-corp in town means a lot of jobs, and that'll help quite a bit. Wayne Enterprises does it's bit, I'm sure.
Yes, but people were talking about things like fixing world hunger, and pointing out that Wayne not only has the money - but the resources as well. He CAN afford to give jobs at a temporary loss to third world countries in a way that improves their way of life and not makes it worse. He can also afford to defend the companies he makes from enemies in those countries. He can also afford to feed everyone there. Heck, he could probably find a way to make those countries self-sufficient as far as food goes.

Last edited:
Some Corrections Mr Zoat, although most of it are changes to American spelling.

Wonder Woman's armour as 'modest'
a more heavily armoured version

American spelling is 'armor' and 'armored'.

You ain't exactly his favourite Lantern right now
You realise you've got a problem

American spelling is 'favorite' and 'realize'.

Human civilisation to more effectively
that could revolutionise Human technology

American spelling is 'civilization' and 'revolutionize'.

I hadn't realised that you were married.

American spelling is 'realized'.

Made am impression on them as well.

This should be: 'Made an impression on them as well'.

That what you came here to talk about? The armour?

American spelling is 'armor'.

putting his face n the perfect position

Missing letter here, so: 'putting his face in the perfect position'.

Zatara also recognises that jewel.
Your father wishes you to abandon this endeavour.
Abandon this foolish endeavour
that you utilised against Klarion

I'm not sure (nor can I remember right now) if Nabu and/or Mister Zatara speak American English, if they do then it should be 'recognizes', 'endeavor' (twice) and 'utilized'. If not, then disregard this.

You killed a member of the Justice League?!

Missing quotation mark at the end here.

You and Ms Ferris are no longer… Involved.

Not sure, but I think this should have a question mark at the end?

You know some tiny part of credo

I think this is missing a word, maybe 'You know some tiny part of our credo'?

It wants you to show you more

Extraneous word, should be 'It wants to show you more'.

Oh, love to some is like cloud

And this one is missing one, 'Oh love to some is like a cloud'. Unless Grayven was singing wrong in both these occasions.

I just didn't realise that it was
I realise that's a translation
realise how strongly you felt about…

American spelling is 'realize'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back