• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Thank you, corrected.

I think you're conflating two separate machine intelligences here.

No, they are very explicitly the same race.

The New Titans #107 "Zavior's a hybrid- The digital result of the mating between living computer data and an Earth swamp creature." *Swamp Thing #60- Rob

Swamp Thing 60 being the issue in which he's raped by the biomechanical planet.

No, they are very explicitly the same race.

The New Titans #107 "Zavior's a hybrid- The digital result of the mating between living computer data and an Earth swamp creature." *Swamp Thing #60- Rob

Swamp Thing 60 being the issue in which he's raped by the biomechanical planet.
I mean, if that's what they said...

It's just that they neither look nor behave anything alike.

What about The Reach or The New Gods?

The Reach has never been shown to have time manipulation technology or the technology to manipulate souls.

They reversed time to capture Swamp Thing. Swampy almost got away and then the Technis called out "Mulligan!" Swamp Thing was raped during his "I am the champion of the Green, I am as unto a god" phase. That should tell you how impressive the Technis are.

And when Cyborg got turned into Cyberion, it wasn't the typical "We downloaded his mind," no, they literally downloaded Victor's soul.

As I mentioned before, Technis almost turned Earth into a new hard drive, transforming Earth and her people into silicon circuitry for data storage. Maybe the Reach could do that, but I'm not sure about that.

As Cyberion Victor could technomorph making him a Do Anything Robot just like a Reach Scarab.

New Gods? They've got the boom tubes going for them, but Victor in the Technis Imperative assimilated technology like the Borg. So if the Technis got their hands on New God tech they'd add their technological distinctiveness to their own.

I mean, if that's what they said...

It's just that they neither look nor behave anything alike.

Behavior wise, on the Doylist level different writers, on the Watsonian level, Zavior, Swamp Thing's Technis son, was a lunatic by Technis standards with enough charisma to get a following willing to do non Technis like things like assimilating planets.

The fact that Zavior chose Earth of all planets, instead of say just claiming the nearest unoccupied planet no one would give a shit about in the first place, screams massive Daddy issues. "You don't love me, fine, I'll destroy your planet! That'll teach you to never play catch with me!"

As for not looking alike, I dunno why DC did that, but the Technis seem to be comprised of technorganic nanites that can freely shapeshift as needed. In Technis Imperative Vic had assimilated an entire fleet of alien ships, it took Beast Boy to realize what was going on. "Is this Darkseid? Some Trigon wannabe?" "Dude! This is so obviously Vic. Come on now."

Thanagarians officials: This may be the best reasoning we've heard to not invade a planet.

Thanagarian dissentor: Oh come now. I don't think it's that bad.

Thanagarian dissentor's future self: *bashes the dissentor over the head with an Nth metal mace* This is your fault! It was all YOUR FAULT!!!

Thanagarian officials: ...This is now the best reasoning we've heard not to invade a planet.
Thanagatian officials: so you came back in time just to beat your self in to bloody pulp.

Thanagariqn dissenters future self: I was in charge of policing the location called north America, in one week I delt with three plots to destroy the world, five time travelers, and six interstellar invasions, the population said this was a slow week.

Give it to J and there are almost certainly going to share it with Hyathis and Alstair. An out of date computer system jumped their tech forwards a good deal, especially that they now have a plant based trading partner. A modern one is just to good to not share with the people partly responsible for the tech jump.

Meet The Eye (part 5)
22nd June 2014
17:34 GMT +5:30

"…interesting context to what I had seen."

The doors slide open as Slipstream and Dreadwing stroll through, Slipstream nodding.

"That's what he's here for. You should ask him about anything that you don't understand, especially if you're planning on staying long term."

She walks over to the dispensary and presses the button to pour out a mug of energon.

"Want one?"

"Yes. Thank you."

Axlegrease moves her face between them and Pull's face. "Lift your left."

I raise my left arm as she applies her probes. Shockwave was able to provide our base's datacore with this body's fake schematics, but Axlegrease wants to get her own readings. With transformers having been at war for longer than recorded human history, most transformers aren't exactly factory standard as field repair upon field repair build up in the t-cog's memory. It doesn't really matter; since a shot to the spark case would kill a normal transformer and a shot to the brain module would kill me, there's no reason to allow her access to those systems. Arms, legs and t-cog on the other hand are systems that it will help a lot if she can repair them.

"Down, and lift your right."

I comply as Slipstream and Dreadwing head over to the waiting area, joining Nova Storm who refused to allow Axlegrease to work on her unless she saw her working on me first.

Dreadwing looks her over for a minute. "Nova Storm."

"Dreadwing." She maintains his gaze as if she was planning on saying something else… Then turns away and takes a swig from her own mug.

Dreadwing watches her for a moment as Slipstream sits down, then takes his own seat opposite her.

"It is a difficult adjustment."

Nova Storm shakes her head. "It tastes the same to me."

"Not being dead." She focuses on him, and he tilts his head slightly to the right, his free right hand going to the place on his chest where Megatron's shot burned through his entire chassis. "Were you not told?"

"Huh." Nova Storm glances at Slipstream, who just shrugs. "No."

"Down, left leg."

"Starscream, the one who infected my twin with dark energon, lay cowering before me. Had I been swifter with my blade then I would have finally extinguished his worthless spark. Instead, I wasted time grandstanding, and Megatron…"

"You got killed by Megatron?"

Dreadwing nods. "A not uncommon fate for Decepticons who failed to live up to his expectations. In my case, my unwillingness to put Starscream's usefulness ahead of the insult he dealt to my brother."

Nova Storm… Locks up, slight twitches-.

"Did you see it too?"

"That depends on what you are referring to. If you are talking about the All-Spark, then… I believe so. My memories are… Confused. I could not feel my own body, but I felt the presence of others… And even though I could not speak to them, their presence was… Comforting."

His eyes dip.

"But I did not feel my brother. Perhaps that is because I was not there long enough, and our shared spark would have eventually drawn us together. I do not know."

"Down. Right leg."

"I… Did." Dreadwing stares-. "Not-" She shakes her head. "-your brother. Other people I knew. Bright Spot. Low Charge. Shift Vector. A few others I only knew by sight. I couldn't… Talk to them, but I could feel them."

"Including your team mates?" She nods. "I assume that their bodies were corrupted by Megatron?"

"I think so. I haven't been brave enough to check."

"I think that you should. I intend to cleanse my brother's remains once I am finished here."

Nova Storm looks disturbed. "They just left them here?"

He nods solemnly. "He was left trapped in some form of shadow dimension as a result of a ground bridge malfunction, still animated by the dark energon which Starscream introduced into his system. It was profoundly disrespectful."

"Megatron wasn't exactly shy about using dark energon." The fingers of her right hand ball into a fist. "If he hadn't infected everyone he could find on Cybertron-. He could just have used it on Autobots!"

Dreadwing nods. "Then you could have regained your entire team."

"Down. Whole body." I rotate my head slowly towards her, keeping Pull's face blank. "You're done. I have my scans. Go."

I turn Pull's head to look at the screen behind her, which is showing an exploded view of Pull's components, and… What looks like a diagram of how they could be used to augment her. She follows my gaze and realises what I'm looking at.

"No sense in wasting parts. The Last Autobot doesn't need all of you to resurrect you. If attaching your armour to my chassis allows me to drag your core components out, isn't that better than leaving you there? And shouldn't I know how to make the attachment in advance?"

I make Pull's eyes blink slowly. "Yes?"

"Hm." She presses a button and the salvage diagram vanishes. "From the mouth of sparklings."

"I am not a sparkling, Doctor."

"And I'm not a Doctor, sparkling. Go, get out." She turns to the waiting area. "Nova Storm, you're next."

With slow and awkward motions I have Pull rise from the bier and then walk towards the waiting area, Nova Storm passing me in the opposite direction. I stop in front of Dreadwing, looking blankly down at him.

"And you are Pull."

I turn Pull's head towards Slipstream, who smiles and gestures at Dreadwing. I then turn Pull's head back towards him. "Hello."

I then walk over to Slipstream and sit down heavily on the floor besides her. She affects a mildly exasperated expression and pats me gently on the head. "He tries."

"Ah." Dreadwing reassesses Pull's appearance. "But his combat function is not impaired?"

"Not even a little." Slipstream leans forwards, drawing his attention to her. "So that's what you're here for? Your brother's funeral?"

"No, not simply that. His spark was not there, in the All-Spark. And if it is not there, where is it?"

"I don't know."

"Nova Storm said that her team mates were there, even after Megatron corrupted their bodies. My brother must be somewhere! I have accepted his death, but I will not accept his damnation."

"And…" Slipstream's eyes widen. "You think he ended up in Unicron?"

"I do not know. But it is the most obvious place to begin my search, and I will not serve under Megatron again. I will work here loyally for however long it takes to make sure that Skyquake's spark can return to the All-Spark."

Slipstream smiles. "Glad to know that you're motivated. Welcome onboard, Dreadwing."

Last edited:
I always love it when Zoat gets two stories I'm really interested in going at the same time. All the fun of a cliffhanger without the low-level despair at needing to wait for the next chapter - just a constant stream of interesting narratives.

I was wondering, how long will Paul/Pull live now that he has a Transtector body, also has being exposed to so many divine Cybertronian objects changed him in any ways, like if he died would he go to the Allspark, or does he not have enough a or any soul/spark still, like Paragon Paul did?
The transtector body doesn't replace any of his vital organs, especially not his brain. As such, his lifespan s unaffected.

A spark is a fragment of Primus's own soul. He doesn't have a spark case, and probably wouldn't be compatible with one even if it was possible to get one later in life.

Ah, Dreadwing.

Yet another case of Prime killing off an intriguingly-characterized Decepticon because the animation ate all the budget and they had to cut high-priced voice actors...
Not really there, he lasted until near the end when everything came out there.

In the Japanese stuff, Knock Out patches him back up following things, but he's gone kind of crazy there

22nd June 2014
17:34 GMT +5:30

"…interesting context to what I had seen."

The doors slide open as Slipstream and Dreadwing stroll through, Slipstream nodding.
I see the orientation briefings went well. Once the more rowdy recruits settled down, anyway. Hopefully they understand more about Humans and their culture now, and can avoid getting into too much trouble around the 'fleshlings'. Not least of which is not using that little insult around them. :p

"That's what he's here for. You should ask him about anything that you don't understand, especially if you're planning on staying long term."

She walks over to the dispensary and presses the button to pour out a mug of energon.

"Want one?"
Heh. All the convenience of home, eh? The basic Energon probably doesn't taste all that great, but a few seasoning tricks can fix that.

"Yes. Thank you."

Axlegrease moves her face between them and Pull's face. "Lift your left."
So, she's basically the team mechanic, right? Keep them operational between runs, and patch them up in the field? Getting scans for easier repairs, I suppose.

I raise my left arm as she applies her probes. Shockwave was able to provide our base's datacore with this body's fake schematics, but Axlegrease wants to get her own readings. With transformers having been at war for longer than recorded human history, most transformers aren't exactly factory standard as field repair upon field repair build up in the t-cog's memory. It doesn't really matter; since a shot to the spark case would kill a normal transformer and a shot to the brain module would kill me, there's no reason to allow her access to those systems. Arms, legs and t-cog on the other hand are systems that it will help a lot if she can repair them.
Wonder if the organic parts of him show up on her analysis or not. I'd bet they're safely shielded from such scanning methods.

"Down, and lift your right."

I comply as Slipstream and Dreadwing head over to the waiting area, joining Nova Storm who refused to allow Axlegrease to work on her unless she saw her working on me first.
Given the 'Junkion's reputation, that's not surprising. I bet some of them worry about waking up with bits missing...

Dreadwing looks her over for a minute. "Nova Storm."

"Dreadwing." She maintains his gaze as if she was planning on saying something else… Then turns away and takes a swig from her own mug.
Heh. Both of them got resparked, right? I wonder if they'll be able to bond over that shared experience.

Dreadwing watches her for a moment as Slipstream sits down, then takes his own seat opposite her.

"It is a difficult adjustment."
Looks like Dreadwing wants to feel her out on that matter, then.

Nova Storm shakes her head. "It tastes the same to me."

"Not being dead." She focuses on him, and he tilts his head slightly to the right, his free right hand going to the place on his chest where Megatron's shot burned through his entire chassis. "Were you not told?"
Even if the damage is repaired, the memory remains. I bet he needed a lot of patching up after a hit like that too.

"Huh." Nova Storm glances at Slipstream, who just shrugs. "No."

"Down, left leg."
I love that Axle's just testing Pull's articulation in the background. Kind of like what I do when I get a new figure out of the box. ...The joints can be a little stiff sometimes, better to loosen them a little, especially if they're on painted parts. And given the occasional quality control mishap like misassemblies or entirely wrong parts used, it can be good to know.

"Starscream, the one who infected my twin with dark energon, lay cowering before me. Had I been swifter with my blade then I would have finally extinguished his worthless spark. Instead, I wasted time grandstanding, and Megatron…"

"You got killed by Megatron?"
Yeah, lesson learned, huh? Strike first, talk after.

Dreadwing nods. "A not uncommon fate for Decepticons who failed to live up to his expectations. In my case, my unwillingness to put Starscream's usefulness ahead of the insult he dealt to my brother."

Nova Storm… Locks up, slight twitches-.
I see she hasn't got great memories of the former Air Commander either.

"Did you see it too?"

"That depends on what you are referring to. If you are talking about the All-Spark, then… I believe so. My memories are… Confused. I could not feel my own body, but I felt the presence of others… And even though I could not speak to them, their presence was… Comforting."
Good to see it's not a unique experience. I wonder if other returnees remember it, and if they've been talking to others about it. Could see a resurgence of religion amongst some.

His eyes dip.

"But I did not feel my brother. Perhaps that is because I was not there long enough, and our shared spark would have eventually drawn us together. I do not know."
Ah, I see. He's concerned that his brother's spark didn't find him? He was offlined for a while before getting Terrorcon'd, so that can't have affected it... 😨 Could it?

"Down. Right leg."

"I… Did." Dreadwing stares-. "Not-" She shakes her head. "-your brother. Other people I knew. Bright Spot. Low Charge. Shift Vector. A few others I only knew by sight. I couldn't… Talk to them, but I could feel them."
Ah, cybertronian names. They sound kind of odd when translated into English, don't they?

"Including your team mates?" She nods. "I assume that their bodies were corrupted by Megatron?"

"I think so. I haven't been brave enough to check."
If they were, they'd probably be on the dead-inhabited moon of Cybertron.

"I think that you should. I intend to cleanse my brother's remains once I am finished here."

Nova Storm looks disturbed. "They just left them here?"
Wasn't entirely intentional, what with the dimensional side-trip involved.

He nods solemnly. "He was left trapped in some form of shadow dimension as a result of a ground bridge malfunction, still animated by the dark energon which Starscream introduced into his system. It was profoundly disrespectful."

"Megatron wasn't exactly shy about using dark energon." The fingers of her right hand ball into a fist. "If he hadn't infected everyone he could find on Cybertron-. He could just have used it on Autobots!"
Honestly surprised he didn't.

Dreadwing nods. "Then you could have regained your entire team."

"Down. Whole body." I rotate my head slowly towards her, keeping Pull's face blank. "You're done. I have my scans. Go."
Ah, check-ups. So annoying, aren't they? Especially ones involving a full physical.

I turn Pull's head to look at the screen behind her, which is showing an exploded view of Pull's components, and… What looks like a diagram of how they could be used to augment her. She follows my gaze and realises what I'm looking at.

"No sense in wasting parts. The Last Autobot doesn't need all of you to resurrect you. If attaching your armour to my chassis allows me to drag your core components out, isn't that better than leaving you there? And shouldn't I know how to make the attachment in advance?"
Honestly, with all the 5mm connection points you have, shouldn't that be easy? :p Seriously, her toy and its many mold-mates have the shoulders and legs attached by the same ports as their weaponry... Makes you wonder if anyone's tried making a combiner using them... ;)

I make Pull's eyes blink slowly. "Yes?"

"Hm." She presses a button and the salvage diagram vanishes. "From the mouth of sparklings."
Which is going to be interesting if they ever start sparking new frames instead of reviving old ones. A new generation of cybertronians...

"I am not a sparkling, Doctor."

"And I'm not a Doctor, sparkling. Go, get out." She turns to the waiting area. "Nova Storm, you're next."
Heh. She's got the 'grumpy doctor' attitude down to a T, at least.

With slow and awkward motions I have Pull rise from the bier and then walk towards the waiting area, Nova Storm passing me in the opposite direction. I stop in front of Dreadwing, looking blankly down at him.

"And you are Pull."
Hmm... Did Dreadwing ever encounter the Silas-Breakdown combination? Wonder what he'd make of a human piloting a cybertronian frame...

I turn Pull's head towards Slipstream, who smiles and gestures at Dreadwing. I then turn Pull's head back towards him. "Hello."

I then walk over to Slipstream and sit down heavily on the floor besides her. She affects a mildly exasperated expression and pats me gently on the head. "He tries."
Because his frame is too big for their seating, I suppose. Dreadwing is probably pushing the limit, but Pull would be even heavier.

"Ah." Dreadwing reassesses Pull's appearance. "But his combat function is not impaired?"

"Not even a little." Slipstream leans forwards, drawing his attention to her. "So that's what you're here for? Your brother's funeral?"
Or to reclaim his frame and take it to be revived. I'm sure the Last Autobot could manage to purge the Dark Energon, though it'd probably be draining.

"No, not simply that. His spark was not there, in the All-Spark. And if it is not there, where is it?"

"I don't know."
...That is a good question.

"Nova Storm said that her team mates were there, even after Megatron corrupted their bodies. My brother must be somewhere! I have accepted his death, but I will not accept his damnation."

"And…" Slipstream's eyes widen. "You think he ended up in Unicron?"
It would make sense that their 'hell' is the Chaos-Bringer's domain.

"I do not know. But it is the most obvious place to begin my search, and I will not serve under Megatron again. I will work here loyally for however long it takes to make sure that Skyquake's spark can return to the All-Spark."

Slipstream smiles. "Glad to know that you're motivated. Welcome onboard, Dreadwing."
...I suppose revival would be a longshot, given the Autobot control of the process. Even with Megs trying to change that...

A nice little bonding session amongst the clear leaders of the group. Seriously, the other guys are not the command type, are they? And a good look at Dreadwing;s motivation to be here. Wonder what would happen if he did discover whether the sparks of Terrorcons came to Unicron or not. Would he go diving in to drag his brother out of Transformer Hell? :eek:

The transtector body doesn't replace any of his vital organs, especially not his brain. As such, his lifespan s unaffected.

A spark is a fragment of Primus's own soul. He doesn't have a spark case, and probably wouldn't be compatible with one even if it was possible to get one later in life.
Someone should tell that to the group of humans that turned themselves into sparked transformers.

The Reach has never been shown to have time manipulation technology or the technology to manipulate souls.

They reversed time to capture Swamp Thing. Swampy almost got away and then the Technis called out "Mulligan!" Swamp Thing was raped during his "I am the champion of the Green, I am as unto a god" phase. That should tell you how impressive the Technis are.

And when Cyborg got turned into Cyberion, it wasn't the typical "We downloaded his mind," no, they literally downloaded Victor's soul.

As I mentioned before, Technis almost turned Earth into a new hard drive, transforming Earth and her people into silicon circuitry for data storage. Maybe the Reach could do that, but I'm not sure about that.

As Cyberion Victor could technomorph making him a Do Anything Robot just like a Reach Scarab.

New Gods? They've got the boom tubes going for them, but Victor in the Technis Imperative assimilated technology like the Borg. So if the Technis got their hands on New God tech they'd add their technological distinctiveness to their own.

Fair enough, when you put it like that, The Reach does seem less advanced. But if they have technology that can affect souls, does that count as some kind of Magitek?

Furthermore, I'm not sure that the Technis could assimilate a Motherbox or Fatherbox. They're directly connected to the Source, which is basically God with a capital "G". Downloading and assimilating souls is one thing, but doing the same to something that's connected to God is a whole different can of worms. If anything, if Technis hacked too deep into one of those, there's a chance that they could accidentally connect themselves directly to the Source and who knows what kind of unpredictable effects it might have on Technis?

Fair enough, when you put it like that, The Reach does seem less advanced. But if they have technology that can affect souls, does that count as some kind of Magitek?
Probably just a narrow case similar to Qward tech, knowledge of sufficiently advanced technology that is indistinguishable from magic. I wouldn't be surprised if some Dream effect here festers in the wounds and crevices discussed, growing into a plant-dream entity, distinct from the magic entities like Swamp Thing.
Maybe a friend for Sandy? A rival?

Yeah, I'm with Nightmare that it seemed more sufficiently advanced technology rather than magitek.

Maybe they come across as more magitek in Swamp Thing, I don't know.

Ironically I'm the reverse of Zoat- I'm more familiar with the Technis as Titans characters than their original appearance in Swamp Thing.

Yeah, I'm with Nightmare that it seemed more sufficiently advanced technology rather than magitek.

Maybe they come across as more magitek in Swamp Thing, I don't know.

Ironically I'm the reverse of Zoat- I'm more familiar with the Technis as Titans characters than their original appearance in Swamp Thing.
I did read The Technis Imperative. That complete lack of resemblance it why it threw me that they're supposed to be the same.

The scene where Nightwing was put in a virtual reality where Batman openly expressed how much he loves him and it freaked him out so much that he panicked was hilarious.

Codominion (part 20)
16th April 2013
03:10 GMT -5

The chamber appears to be… A cylinder. The floor looks like it was gouged out of the Mother Star; I can see the vein and artery plugs as well as the exposed tissue all across the floor. There's a slight curve to it, though I don't know what the significance of that is. Looking… Up, I see…

I don't know how to describe…

There's a mass in the middle of the space. Down from the mass are vines which I immediately recognise as being part of a Dominion computer system. They attach to what looks like a Dominion field workshop at ground level, and seeing it puts most of the rest into perspective.

We're in the eye socket.

Attached to the mass are thick vines, visibly more natural-looking than what the computer system uses. They radiate outwards to the walls and upwards to where the top of the chamber is covered in them, which accounts to what I saw from above. The walls lack the plugs… No, the vines are acting as plugs, using the Mother Star's inactive circulatory system as anchor points.

Behind me, Bleez is heartily sick, her helmet's extraction system valiantly trying to siphon it away. I extend my environmental shield to her, and she shakily raises her right fist in a gesture of thanks.

The mass.

Okay. I… Don't think that it's entirely real. The vines seem fairly conventional, but when I try to see what's under the vines I instead get impressions. A coral growth. A programmable computronium plate. An oak with an infinitely long trunk but still possessing a canopy and roots. Crystals that glimmer with burning light. I assume that's Great Mother, held partially in the Dream and partly in conventional reality.

I honestly feel a little unwell myself.

Okay, let's… Stop looking at that.

In… Four places on the ground there are… Large plant structures not entirely unlike the thing that was holding Mr. Stratham, only more… Only much bigger, with a slight touch of the unreal about them. One is simply huge, almost as large as the central mass, and with computer vines connecting it to the anchor vines at a dozen places on its surface. The other three are nearly indistinguishable from one another in design, though one of them has a few more computer vines wiring it up.

Okay. The largest one is presumably holding Swamp Thing, and the ones with the extra wires has grown them for the benefit of Good Gumbo Man. I imagine that it would take a team of Venturia's best to make sense of any of this, and despite the legal situation their city was included in the Atlantean shield spell.

Does anything strike me as odd?

Yes. This is clearly a big operation. Just moving this stuff around would have taken some muscle. They've got the Great Mother's children helping, and… The unreal mobile laboratory on the upper surface, but where are the dominators? Where are the Dominion drones? Or labourers?

I do a passive multiphasic scan, but… No, not detecting anything intelligible that suggests they're using an exotic disguise. Are they.. on the Great Mother? I mean, that's… Possible.

Bleez is heartily sick again.

"I suggest not looking at it."

"Look at-. Chuh-huh! Ev'ry'ing!"

I encase her helmet in a completely opaque layer.

"Better?"

"I can-. Ugh. I can still feel it."

"That's odd. Your species shouldn't be sensitive enough to magic to be that-."

I close my eyes and try feeling for it myself. No, I'm… Not really getting anything. Oh, there's the shimmer that I… Suspect is a result of a weak connection to a collective unconscious, but nothing special. Nothing reaching out.

Where are the researchers?

"Do you know where the researchers are?"

"They are here."

"But where specifically?"

The ball squirms in the air, which I think means that he's feeling something like frustration. "They are here! You must free Great-Mother!"

"I will. I just want to make sure that I do it in a way that's safe for her."

He stops squirming. "Yes. Wise. I was too hasty."

"So now that you've calmed down a bit, if you can tell me anything more precise than 'they are here', that would be very helpful."

"The Great-Black-Outside-That-Is-Everything separates the Great-Mother from Green places. She could touch them, but only when she approached. The aliens could touch her through it. They knew the nature of the place, when Great-Mother knew little."

"Which… Was before they picked up Swamp Thing."

"Yes."

Trapping a ship? Sure. I could see dominators being able to do that. Taking control of her via the Green? No reason to assume that Swamp Thing is the only being who can alter his frequency, and that's the sort of intellectual puzzle dominators are really good at.

But-.

No.

"Have the aliens been walking around recently?"

"No."

Ah… Not sure whether that's good or bad.

"What?" Bleez looks turns her head around. "What happened?"

"I think that the dominators got stuck in their own Dream prison. Which means…"

I pick her up with a cloud construct and fly us both towards their work area. No automatic weapons, robotic guards, poison gasses or any of the other forms of attack that they could have employed.

The only real question is how much of this was built before they got caught, and how much was dreamed into being. Or perhaps I'm being too materialistic and that doesn't matter in a place like this.

So I need to find the portal they used -if they even used one- or…

Well. I didn't actually promise Euanthe. And she's on Earth anyway.

"Ring, connect to these computers."

"Compliance."
Construct cables reach out and plug themselves in. "Warning: direct contact with Dominion computer core-. Error, not found."

"
Yes, don't worry. Just request data from outside until you've got everything."

"Compliance."

And while that's working…

I generate the wave pattern for controlling plant life just as Medphyll showed me, and reach out for where I think they're keeping Swamp Thing.

Last edited:
16th April 2013
03:10 GMT -5

The chamber appears to be… A cylinder. The floor looks like it was gouged out of the Mother Star; I can see the vein and artery plugs as well as the exposed tissue all across the floor. There's a slight curve to it, though I don't know what the significance of that is. Looking… Up, I see…

I don't know how to describe…
And I am now picturing something truly horrifically eldritch now. Like, I don't know... Cthulu's naughty bits. And if you're now picturing it, I am truly, truly sorry for that. 😨 And I get the feeling they're going to have to poke whatever it is in order to get to the bottom of this...

There's a mass in the middle of the space. Down from the mass are vines which I immediately recognise as being part of a Dominion computer system. They attach to what looks like a Dominion field workshop at ground level, and seeing It puts most of the rest into perspective.

We're in the eye socket.
Things certainly aren't humorous, though. I shudder to imagine the scale of it all, though.

Attached to the mass are thick vines, visibly more natural-looking than what the computer system uses. They radiate outwards to the walls and upwards to where the top of the chamber is covered in them, which accounts to what I saw from above. The walls lack the plugs… No, the vines are acting as plugs, using the Mother Star's inactive circulatory system as anchor points.
I'm betting one or both of the Avatars ended up in there...

Behind me, Bleez is heartily sick, her helmet's extraction system valiantly trying to siphon it away. I extend my environmental shield to her, and she shakily raises her right fist in a gesture of thanks.

The mass.
Though that's a completely natural reaction to... Whatever she's looking at here. I half suspect her brain really wants her to stop looking.

Okay. I… Don't think that it's entirely real. The vines seem fairly conventional, but when I try to see what's under the vines I instead get impressions. A coral growth. A programmable computronium plate. And oak with an infinitely long trunk but still possessing a canopy and roots. Crystals that glimmer with burning light. I assume that's Great Mother, held partially in the Dream and partly in conventional reality.
Oh, boy... A literal negative space wedgie.

I honestly feel a little unwell myself.

Okay, let's… Stop looking at that.
And his ring promptly deletes it from his visual field. Or at least censors it out as a visual hazard.

In… Four places on the ground there are… Large plant structures not entirely unlike the thing that was holding Mr. Stratham, only more… Only much bigger, with a slight touch of the unreal about them. One is simply huge, almost as large as the central mass, and with computer vines connecting it to the anchor vines at a dozen places on its surface. The other three are nearly indistinguishable from one another in design, though one of them has a few more computer vines wiring it up.
And no doubt merrily producing defensive spores. Good thing they're in sealed gear.

Okay. The largest one is presumably holding Swamp Thing, and the ones with the extra wires has grown them for the benefit of Good Gumbo Man. I imagine that it would take a team of Venturia's best to make sense of any of this, and despite the legal situation their city was included in the Atlantean shield spell.
Bit of an assumption, but given what he knows, a reasonable one.

Does anything strike me as odd?

Yes. This is clearly a big operation. Just moving this stuff around would have taken some muscle. They've got the Great Mother's children helping, and… The unreal mobile laboratory on the upper surface, but where are the dominators? Where are the Dominion drones? Or labourers?
Or, anyone, for that matter. You'd think if the Dominators were here, they'd be rather upset about OL and Bleez barging in, disguises or not.

I do a passive multiphasic scan, but… No, not detecting anything intelligible that suggests they're using an exotic disguise. Are they.. on the Great Mother? I mean, that's… Possible.

Bleez is heartily sick again.
...Has she even got anything left to bring up at this point? Besides her toenails.

"I suggest not looking at it."

"Look at-. Chuh-huh! Ev'ry'ing!"
Focus. Stick to just breathing right now. Don't want to accidentally speak the words that summon an elder god or something.

I encase her helmet in a completely opaque layer.

"Better?"
Well, technically she's blind right now, but given the view...

"That's odd. Your species shouldn't be sensitive enough to magic to be that-."
Don't Thanagarians have keen senses? Part of their evolutionary history as predatory lifeforms? Wouldn't be surprised if they weren't screaming at her to nope the fuck out of there.

I close my eyes and try feeling for it myself. No, I'm… Not really getting anything. Oh, there's the shimmer that I… Suspect is a result of a weak connection to a collective unconscious, but nothing special. Nothing reaching out.

Where are researchers?
Or, you know, the guards? I doubt the place would be left empty like this normally.

"Do you know where the researchers are?"

"They are here."
...Oh. They're in that mess, aren't they? This is totally a 'Cerberus Taco Cart' situation, isn't it?

"But where specifically?"

The ball squirms in the air, which I think means that he's feeling something like frustration. "They are here! You must free Great-Mother!"
Easy, big guy. First they have to work out which parts of that thing are her. Assuming she's even in there, which seems a safe bet.

"I will. I just want to make sure that I do it in a way that's safe for her."

He stops squirming. "Yes. Wise. I was too hasty."
Benefit of not having hormonal responses like humans do, huh? If it were any of us in that spot, we'd probably be buzzing with adrenaline right now...

"So now that you've calmed down a bit, if you can tell me anything more precise than 'they are here', that would be very helpful."

"The Great-Black-Outside-That-Is-Everything separates the Great-Mother from Green places. She could touch them, but only when she approached. The aliens could touch her through it. They knew the nature of the place, when Great-Mother knew little."
I'm guessing as a result of their plant-based computers. Worrying that they were that up on the Star Mother, unless he means space itself.

"Which… Was before they picked up Swamp Thing."

"Yes."
So it's possible Swampy was sitting on his brain-booster throne thing, the Anti-Life hit, and he panicked and pelted himself out here. At which point things go all Necromorphy.

Trapping a ship? Sure. I could see dominators being able to do that. Taking control of her via the Green? No reason to assume that Swamp Thing is the only being who can alter his frequency, and that's the sort of intellectual puzzle dominators are really good at.

But-.
And a little besides the point right now. The problem is how to set things right and get everyone out of this.

No.

"Have the aliens been walking around recently?"
See, that's a pertinent detail. And also, when was the last time he saw them?

"No."

Ah… Not sure whether that's good or bad.
No finding them and asking some pointed questions about what they were up to, for instance.

"What?" Bleez looks turns her head around. "What happened?"

"I think that the dominators got stuck in their own Dream prison. Which means…"
It's time to start looking for apocalypse logs?

I pick her up with a cloud construct and fly us both towards their work area. No automatic weapons, robotic guards, poison gasses or any of the other forms of attack that they could have employed.

The only real question is how much of this was built before they got caught, and how much was dreaming into being. Or perhaps I'm being too materialistic and that doesn't matter in a place like this.
I'd be worried about what the researchers are dreaming up in there, and whether you'll have to fight them.

So I need to find the portal they used -if they even used one- or…

Well. I didn't actually promise Euanthe. And she's on Earth anyway.
Time to start poking the giant fleshy blob, then?

"Ring, connect to these computers."

"Compliance."
Construct cables reach out and plug themselves in. "Warning: direct contact with Dominion computer core-. Error, not found."
Concerning. Suggests it's too subsumed into the morass to be functional in its intended fashion, then.

"Yes, don't worry. Just request data from outside until you've got everything."

"Compliance."
Worst case, you distract the security protocols with intrusion prevention while you poke around.

And while that's working…

I generate the wave pattern for controlling plant life just as Medphyll showed me, and reach out for where I think they're keeping Swamp Thing.
I'd say put up some defences first, but I suspect he's already got everything he can set up.

...So, that was eerie. And things are probably going to get even more disasterrific around here. Hopefully he and Bleez don't get co-opted by whatever the hell all this is. On the bright side, if they make enough of a ruckus on the Dream-side of things, old Morpheus himself might take notice. Whether that would be good or bad, that'll be up to him.

Where are researchers?
Where are the researchers?

'They attach'

seeing I puts most of the rest

'seeing it puts'

and despite the legal situation their city was included in the Atlantean shield spell.

Yeah, I doubt Orin would let them suffer over a political dispute.

And there is also a pragmatic reason for doing something like that.

Venturians know how Atlantean magic works, so if they were enslaved then they could potentially use that knowledge to bring down the shield.

"That's odd. Your species shouldn't be sensitive enough to magic to be that

Maybe it's because your soul is very different compared to her soul.

much was dreaming into

"dreamed"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back