• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Honestly talking about the transformers cartoon in general should be a bigger red flag than talking about cassettes. If he was as young as he claims then there's a good chance Beast Wars would have been his signature childhood Transformers series, yes.

Unlike Grayven, he left them alive.

Yes, that's precisely what I'm referring to. Not that I think he should be 'genociding' left and right (although, who would miss them?) but he nevertheless left them alive, let them retreat to their home planet and then just didn't do anything, no specific vigilance, no stealth fly over to see what they were doing, he simply let them be. I can understand letting the Sivanas be, especially because they are focusing on the Sheeda, but the Psions? Those bastards' purpose as a species seems to be "dissecting the universe until we know enough to go poke the Maltusians' eye or fuck them over, we aren't decided yet".

Oh, and I don't think Transformers is necessarily a 'red flag', different people in different areas of the world got different entertainment and at different times. I never got into Transformers until way later, always been a more anime guy (can't even recall which one I saw first at this point, Yu Yu Hakusho, maybe?) but even then I didn't see the original Gundam until much later as well, and there were some cartoons and anime that I had to search for the VHS to see after the 2000s as well. Maybe is just that Guy has been something about Paul for a while, he just hadn't wanted to confront him about and is noticing more stuff to feed his suspicions.

The ethereal Indigo Corps is... out there, certainly. OL saw one of them, and was promptly tricked by it before it teleported away. Whether or not there's a actual Maltusian at the head remains to be seen, but since glow-tech is kinda their thing it seems perfectly reasonable. And they do have rings; the staff is essentially just their lantern.
Canonically, the Indigo Tribe was established by Abin Sur and one of his buddies. Maltusians not included.

Honestly talking about the transformers cartoon in general should be a bigger red flag than talking about cassettes. If he was as young as he claims then there's a good chance Beast Wars would have been his signature childhood Transformers series, yes.

The chances of Guy knowing when VCRs became generally obsolete is a bit higher than him being enough of a Transformers nerd to know which series people of a specific generation should have grown up on.

Because I'm too lazy to check myself, did Paul actually tell the League that the universe he came from is chronologically ahead of this one? Because if he didn't, this is a significantly less significant factoid.
It was something he cited when he unleashed the legal asskicking to save Cadbury Eggs, earlier.

Paul: "These assholes are going to ruin Cadbury Eggs."
Corporate Representative: "What makes you so sure of our intentions?"
Paul: "My native dimension is several years ahead of this one, and your company did so there."

The chances of Guy knowing when VCRs became generally obsolete is a bit higher than him being enough of a Transformers nerd to know which series people of a specific generation should have grown up on.
I'm a bit out of date (or too up to date) on this slang; does "cassette" just mean audio cassettes, or did people call VCR, Betamax, etc cassettes? I'm trying to figure out if OL essentially just said "Yeah, I used to watch cartoons all the time on my stereo", or if it's just a subtle hint that he's not quite the age he claims to be.

Because I'm too lazy to check myself, did Paul actually tell the League that the universe he came from is chronologically ahead of this one? Because if he didn't, this is a significantly less significant factoid.
Yes it was mentioned in his interview with Dana Dearden, Truggs even said that this could have gotten the attention of the legion since he publicly admitted to have traveled through time.

The moral: Stab them in the back when they're looking the other way.
The moral is twofold:
1) Don't let Evil out-prepare Good
2) Don't let Evil steal a march on Good

The latter makes me wonder why Truggs/Luthor/other Light members aren't getting a daily/hourly scry-and-die attempt, just to see if they ever step out of their wards.

Especially Luthor. After he was given, in the clearest terms possible, a choice between two doors: one containing all his hopes and dreams for mankind, with no discernible downside other than trusting the guy who has already gone to great lengths to show how trustworthy he is, and 2) an outside chance at a petty cheap shot on someone he didn't like, with the significant risk that doing so will doom all of humanity to either destruction or servitude at the hands of aliens the way he was always fearful of, and he chose Door 2 because he was unable to master his own pettiness for five minutes. Seriously, the man has so completely failed a basic measure of humanity that he should be reclassified into a different species.

Truggs is an ignorant moron, but Luthor has graduated to Apocalypse/the Reach's useful idiot, and it itches at my soul that Paul hasn't had him quietly removed by now.

Why? Paul has really never talked about 1) How the cultural timeline of Earth Prime compares to Earth-16, nor 2) What year he left. The moment Kyle talks about this with anyone it's just going to be met with a shrug and a suggestion that maybe cassettes and Transformers stuck around longer on Earth Prime.

Sure, not that specifically, but knowing that kids these days don't know about all the old cartoons designed primarily to sell toys like Transformers, He-man or She-ra? Guy doesn't seem like the type to miss a chance to rip on people for that.

its wierd, transformers had the same effect on us, but with different versions.

for me it was this in particular

I'm a bit out of date (or too up to date) on this slang; does "cassette" just mean audio cassettes, or did people call VCR, Betamax, etc cassettes? I'm trying to figure out if OL essentially just said "Yeah, I used to watch cartoons all the time on my stereo", or if it's just a subtle hint that he's not quite the age he claims to be.
I believe he's referring to an audio casette, though I also find that wierd, especially since stereos should still be in use in 2005, as I pointed out above, and since VCR was also in fairly widespread use in 2005, when the fic takes place, mainly due to Blockbuster still being a thing. Netflix was still only shipping out DVDs, and I think was a bit behind Blockbuster in popularity.

Sure, not that specifically, but knowing that kids these days don't know about all the old cartoons designed primarily to sell toys like Transformers, He-man or She-ra? Guy doesn't seem like the type to miss a chance to rip on people for that.

Then again he might be big enough of a nerd to know that

Guy's hair cut is from General Glory's sidekick's haircut from the comic book, and when General Glory #1 came up for auction, Guy spent 5 thousand dollars to buy it.

He didn't even know General Glory and Ernie were real, either, while Jay and Allan were being public superheroes in the USA, General Glory was fighting overseas and the government made the comic book to discredit sightings.

Then again he might be big enough of a nerd to know that

Guy's hair cut is from General Glory's sidekick's haircut from the comic book, and when General Glory #1 came up for auction, Guy spent 5 thousand dollars to buy it.

He didn't even know General Glory and Ernie were real, either, while Jay and Allan were being public superheroes in the USA, General Glory was fighting overseas and the government made the comic book to discredit sightings.
Transformers toys were still a thing in the late 90s / early 2000s. There were even PS 2 video games, though those might have been made to commercialize the movies. VCRs shouldn't be obsolete in this world yet, as it didn't become completely obsolete until streaming services became big, which was a little after this.

Transformers toys were still a thing in the late 90s / early 2000s. There were even PS 2 video games, though those might have been made to commercialize the movies. VCRs shouldn't be obsolete in this world yet, as it didn't become completely obsolete until streaming services became big, which was a little after this.

Maybe, maybe not. One of the first things OL mentioned when he went to go see Alan was how the tech level was weird. I think it was about him having a video doorbell with a crystal clear picture or something?

One interesting thing from this chapter is that Lantern Xor found out about the transformers while their ship was in FTL transit... Meaning the only place it could link up to get the information would be the controller database in Maltus, and he never said they were fictional... So either the controllers took the time to get information on fictional earth cartoons, or the transformers as a civilization exist in this continuity.

Would be pretty awesome if it did. I mean if Grayven can have transdimentional ponies, then Paul should get Orange Lantern Soundwave.

That and the "Back To The Future" triilogy might be while I wanted to be a Mad scientist when I grew up.
So did I.

And now that I am a mad scientist, I'd say it's quite overrated when you don't live in a fictionnal universe.

[Edit] Also I'm still waiting self-tying shoes and the reversed pants.
The good news is : the overboard is on its way, we got a demonstration during the previous French National Day

Last edited:
Suprised Guy didn't comment on the fact you had a cassette. Or did he assume you meant a CD, or an older kid's hand-me-downs?

That's not... that unusual. The timeline is about 2011-2012. Even if we go conversative and say OL is around 16, that still leaves a memorable childhood around the early two thousands. While a lot of that stuff was phased out, as a person from a low income family (Poor as fuck in other words) then entertainment can be stretched out for longer.

We still kept our VHS and cassette player/collection until around 2010 or so.

It's not unusual.

That's not... that unusual. The timeline is about 2011-2012. Even if we go conversative and say OL is around 16, that still leaves a memorable childhood around the early two thousands. While a lot of that stuff was phased out, as a person from a low income family (Poor as fuck in other words) then entertainment can be stretched out for longer.

We still kept our VHS and cassette player/collection until around 2010 or so.

It's not unusual.

I still have a few of the Unicron Trilogy episodes on VHS, and those came out in the early to mid 2000's.

So long as Guy doesn't know the difference between G1 and later series, he could miss the significance of that, but a proper nerd might have caught it. Although considering the differences between other works of fiction in this setting there might be even more fudge room. Way back when OL and the team were channel surfing, and he pointed out that Star Wars Prequels were done by The Chaos Bringer Micheal Bay due to the untimely death of George Lucas.

There is also the difference in tech levels between Earth Prime and Earth 16. They could have made the switch over much earlier considering that they've got bug free computers, holograms, and the like.

Why don't they try for a blue lantern core? I don't think they have been made yet and the only one we know of is a pretty ok person.

Never got into or understood the appeal of transformers. But I'm not a car person.

Then again, TMNT was my thing.

Why don't they try for a blue lantern core? I don't think they have been made yet and the only one we know of is a pretty ok person.
Mostly because it's harder to weaponise hope. And harder to identify good recruits. And they don't have anyone who's worked with blue light to any significant degree.

25th January
01:32 GMT +3

"One time, I asked Hal if Guardians ever had dick-waving contests. Guess I just found out." He dismisses the construct and looks at me. "Guardians have ordered me to start doin' research on techniques and stuff Green Lanterns used to do. See if I can recreate them."
"Yeah, guy's a prize ass." Guy takes another sip of his drink. "Tell y'what. I need a test dummy, you need training. What's say we meet up tomorrow an' sort something out?"
6th February
13:09 GMT -5

"Hnh." He turns back to his Earth-gazing. "Yeah. Turns out the Guardians weren't bein' all that honest 'bout why they put Al on the 'Do Not Recruit' list. Some asshole got hold of a ring back in the seventeenth century. Did a whole lotta stuff us humanoids aren't supposed to be able to. When Hal told 'em about Al they were… Concerned, about maybe gettin' a repeat performance."

"Why did they tell you?"

"Guess they figure they can trust me. They wanna see if I can do the stuff he did, so's they shared their old records."
I mean, it's been about two weeks since he told Paul about the sharing of the records thing, and he kinda seems like he's telling him something new here, even though he already told him that he was being given access to a bunch of records on old GL techniques.
(Also, since it *has* been two weeks, I'm interested to see what he has so far. If the speed of learning the assimilation resistance technique is any guide, he probably has a technique or two at 'good enough to use when undistracted').
Also, he should probably ask if he is allowed to share it: *Some* of the techniques might be uniquely green, but I doubt even a majority of them are.
Mostly because it's harder to weaponise hope. And harder to identify good recruits. And they don't have anyone who's worked with blue light to any significant degree.
I mean, these seem like tractable problems. After a few weeks (or was it months? Not sure), Alan was able to spar Lantern Stewart pretty well, and people being actively motivated *does* work a lot better for basically all of the colors. I'd assume that the Controllers could adapt the algorithm they have for Orange Lanterns to Blue Lanterns, and Paul's ability to see emotions still does work on non-orange colors. And a good number of the Controllers bonded to the Central Power Battery don't appear to have been part of the orange ring project, and they still seemingly get along making rings and lanterns fine. But yeah, they are *reasonably* large problems, if ones that can be dealt with.

Last edited:
Will the robot chicken dc universe ever interact with your story?

edit: I ask because of the magic amulet scene in particular, what with it making fun of how everyone has died multiple times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back