• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Hopefully his faffing about has consequences, perhaps a few billion deaths, so he learns to get his head in the game.

OL feels very derpy in the last few updates. Isn't Star Conquerors emergence an all hands on deck situation? He's treating it way more laxly than the previous one when it's arguably more concerning. In particular, last time the scenario "little stars leave Earth and go to awaken big ones" was the worst case scenario that they kept in mind from the get go and tried to prevent more than anything else, yet here he's perfectly content to watch them excavate something ancient (!) that might be sufficiently alive to have desires (!) and waste time on idle chatter. I feel it's too dumb, unless we're dealing with another mental interference case like back with Mammon essence contamination, but more subtle.

He really was just kind of... Sitting there. Letting whatever was going to happen happen. It's like he was watching an anime transformation sequence, just letting the bad guy get more powerful. Didn't Paul used to be more genre savvy than that?

Agreed he is just standing by with the thumb up his ass being the complete opposite of proactive. He knows things are about to go wrong and he does nothing to stop it and instead behave as the next best thing to a bystander. It's like he doesn't give a fuck about anything anymore and if that is how your going to continue to write him you might as well fucking kill him. Because it's so out of character he might as well be dead anyways.

I'm honestly disappointed in your Zoat, if your burned out take a few days off. Don't force yourself to to write trash like this.

It's telekinesis is working again.
Should be "Its".

And couldn't Paul just blast it with a stupidly large amount of gamma radiation? He already showed that he could easily blast something with enough gamma radiation to render half of the Earth uninhabitable. Something the size of Pluto probably wouldn't be too far beyond that, especially with Ophidian available to help him.

Also, this is yet another example of why Sector 2814 CLEARLY does not have enough Lanterns.

Last edited:
I kinda hope OL will do something that will demonstrate to at least the UN that he is more than a "glorified sidekick". How long until people on Earth realize that he is already a top tier superhero at the level of the members of the Justice League?

Also, here are a few more corrections for Tamaranean:
-for a crowd to form. Fortunately the Tamaranians have the sense to keep well back, unlike a few Humans I could name. Double-fortunately, because while a few of the subtleties eluded Guy, John and Jordan they certainly had the basics down. I don't think the princesses have even seen a recording of a Lantern before.

Koriand'r has turned her attention from the fleet to Rashashoon itself. "Are there Tamaranians down there?"

"I didn't give you a power ring so that you could ask me questions you can easily answer yourself. If you want data, use your ring to get it."

She raises her left hand, orange lights flickering around her left arm and head. "Yes, there are. Tamaranians, Karnans, even a few Branx. Other peoples as well." She lowers her arm, lights dying down a little. "Why Branx? Why would the Citadel permit its ally's people to be treated so?"

Construct armour appears around Komand'r, while Koriand'r's environmental shield flares. She has trouble with desiring armour as a baseline state. Apparently, solar power was so vital to empowering Tamaranian warriors for so long that as a culture they tend to disdain armour.

"I believe so. Koriand'r?" I glance over to where she's greeting the latest group of former slaves. A couple of Tamaranians are amongst them

He turns around, making a small motion with his right hand as he does so. I presume one of the Citadelians behind the barricades presses something, because the force field protecting them deactivates. Then he starts walking towards the entry to the reactor chamber. "Bit of a surprise about the Tamaranians."

"So why are Tamaranians being here a surprise? Do challengers usually keep aliens out of it?"

"They're not usually front and centre like this, but we've had aliens involved before. Usually mercenaries. But I haven't seen a Tamaranian warrior since we conquered them. I didn't think they'd side with one Citadelian over another."

"He was a powerful warrior. He covered the Tamaranian fleet's retreat when we defeated them. Unlucky for him the Psions had a few new tricks they wanted to try out." He pauses. "The old Emperor -the one before the one before Damyn- used to come down here and just.. watch him, sometimes. Damyn doesn't care."

"His power… You're running all of Citadel Complex off him?"

"Stops him from going anywhere. We've still got normal reactors, but this guy could rip battleships apart. Anyway, you see the problem. The Tamaranians find out that he's here-."

I'm standing outside of the cage, the systems around me now near-silent. The golden energy which old Earth and Tamaranian records show to be the visible effect of his telekinesis is crackling less frequently, though the apparently random spurts are still earthing themselves in the frame. The power is being diverted into capacitors, so if Emperor Damyn had any plans for his defence he better hope he has enough batteries. The device the Psions were using to encourage Mister Blake to lash out lies in pieces on the floor. In the unlikely event that I decide to study it there are backups, but at the moment I'm more concerned with the man himself.

**[Two old style Tamaranian navy vessels fly through space towards the Citadelian ships protecting a convoy of slave transports. The Citadelians fire, their gravity distortion waves being stopped dead by a gold/white energy field.]**

"I'm sure that I'll be able to find enough to keep me occupied. There were a few Tamaranian war veterans amongst the slaves we rescued."

I nod. I was worried that the royal party might miss the celebratory ball completely, given how long discussions were taking. I was offered the chance to take part, but they seemed to accept my excuse that I regarded it as a 'purely internal matter of Tamaranian governance'. "And your parents are being reasonably reasonable about the whole thing?"

take a sip from my glass. I'll let the Tamaranians off fermenting perfectly good fruit; the Citadel and Gordanians between them destroyed too much infrastructure for refrigeration to be common and it hasn't been a focus of their industry since I liberated them. "And your current relationship?"

I take a step back, looking around at the other guests. Officers and service personnel from the old Tamaranian fleet, accompanied by their families. A few we rescued, both yesterday and from Hny'xx. They look stunned, unable to believe that they're actually back here. A few more who were fortunate enough to survive and live out the intervening period of time on Tamaran. Occasionally I see them glance at their comrades, some with joy. Others with guilt. There have been more than a few joyful reunions since they returned, though I've been too busy to really appreciate it.

I shake my head. "I probably know less about Tamaranian physiology than you do. But Tamaran isn't going to be prioritising recovering advanced medical technology. And I imagine that you want to cure you more than I do."

I'm leaving the battleship with the Tamaranians, but since the crew complement is still branded they didn't complain about getting into glorified shipping containers for the journey here. I raised the topic, but leaving them on Tamaran was a non-starter. Myand'r wasn't happy about Citadelians being on his planet at all, Koriand'r wasn't happy about them remaining branded and Komand'r wasn't clear why she couldn't assimilate them all.

Perhaps due to how their wings would get in the way, Thanagarians aren't all that big on chairs. I remember that Mister Hol's laboratory on the Watchtower was largely designed at a convenient height for someone standing. Commander Andar's office has a small cluster of what are clearly Tamaranian seats (the clue is the higher backs) but Thanagarian meetings are generally conducted standing, the participants looking one another directly in the face. It's not quite the aggressive gesture it is for Humans, but it's still mildly confrontational.

"No, not at all. The industrial asteroid smelters should enable us to finish getting the Hawk's Nest up to specification in a few weeks. Upgrades to the battleship Assailant will take a few weeks longer, even with a space dock specifically designed for it. The second ship will take over a local year to complete, assuming the Tamaranians don't want us to scrap it for one of their own design. The next bottleneck will be the lack of trained personnel, and I doubt that there's much you can do to help with that."

It would also be kinda a big jump to assume that there is a gigantic Star Conqueror hiding inside Pluto. He may summon several members of his own Corps and the Green Lantern Corps to help now that they know that there's a giant Star Conqueror there, but summoning them previously could have been overkill since they didn't know that there were Star Conquerors until several minutes ago and they didn't know there was a gigantic one until a minute ago, all they know was that there were some small Stars there that they could handle.
Honestly, is it that big of a jump? The Starros, who are intelligent enough to understand stealth operations, stole a giant ship out of Earth orbit (a ship owned by a Lantern) and then went to go shoot at Pluto. While a Conqueror is the worst case scenario, what were the other possibilities? It's not like they were mining for resources, or trying to attack Earth. Trying to wake Cthulhu honestly was one of the likelier possibilities.

Alas, Paul and Kori's abs are not awakening, nor are have they been deliciously oiled.

Hey you don't know what their abs are doing right now, and you don't know what Tamaraneans do to groom themselves.

Also how much do you want to bet that if they lacked the xenophobia of the Imperium, the Custodes would book a ticket to Tamaran and never look back?

Honestly, is it that big of a jump? The Starros, who are intelligent enough to understand stealth operations, stole a giant ship out of Earth orbit (a ship owned by a Lantern) and then went to go shoot at Pluto. While a Conqueror is the worst case scenario, what were the other possibilities? It's not like they were mining for resources, or trying to attack Earth. Trying to wake Cthulhu honestly was one of the likelier possibilities.

I'd say that it is still a pretty big jump, They could have been trying to mine for resources, or maybe they left a ship in Pluto from a race they enslaved once.

To think that Pluto is really a Star Conqueror is a very big jump, especially since they only knew there were Star Conquerors on the Ship for less than half an hour.

To think that Pluto is really a Star Conqueror is a very big jump, especially since they only knew there were Star Conquerors on the Ship for less than half an hour.

Really... Not a big jump. They're Star Conquerors. They stole ships. That meant they wanted to either escape Earth or do something that required those ships. They don't care about resources, at least not enough that they would hang around in a star system they were in the middle of escaping. They had a ship capable of interstellar flight. They could have fucked off across the galaxy easily. That they stayed meant there was something in the system that was valuable enough they were willing to risk getting caught. What else would Star Conquerors consider to be worth that?

Hey you don't know what their abs are doing right now, and you don't know what Tamaraneans do to groom themselves.
If their abs are awakening then the star conquers are the least of their issues.
Also how much do you want to bet that if they lacked the xenophobia of the Imperium, the Custodes would book a ticket to Tamaran and never look back?
It would depend on their ability to fight in melee

Really... Not a big jump. They're Star Conquerors. They stole ships. That meant they wanted to either escape Earth or do something that required those ships. They don't care about resources, at least not enough that they would hang around in a star system they were in the middle of escaping. They had a ship capable of interstellar flight. They could have fucked off across the galaxy easily. That they stayed meant there was something in the system that was valuable enough they were willing to risk getting caught. What else would Star Conquerors consider to be worth that?

A powerful ship from a race they enslaved.

The ClusterShip isn't a military vessel and the Russians ships are primitive.

No matter what you say a lot of people would consider it extremely unlikely that a planet in their solar system has a giant monster inside it.

Yes OL has fought giant monsters, but most didn't tend to be as big as the planet they were on, or probably have the planet form around them.

It would depend on their ability to fight in melee

The Custodes seemed to have largely let their skills go down.

However if they do care about melee combat then Tamaran is a good place since they are a warrior culture.

A powerful ship from a race they enslaved.

The ClusterShip isn't a military vessel and the Russians ships are primitive.

Doesn't stop them going out into a galaxy that isn't prepared for them. They could go literally anywhere that would be an easier mark than Earth at that moment. Again, if they wanted resources, they could go anywhere to get them. There had to be something irreplaceable in Pluto.

Yes OL has fought giant monsters, but most didn't tend to be as big as the planet they were on, or probably have the planet form around them.

He literally thinks about another one at the start of this update. It's not like the concept is far from his mind while he twiddles his thumbs in space.

Reposting, this time without the spoiler tab. Mr Zoat, I am sorry if this is unnecessary, I just thought you might have missed my post because it came out right before yours. These are corrections found on page 49 of the story only.

-for a crowd to form. Fortunately the Tamaranians have the sense to keep well back, unlike a few Humans I could name. Double-fortunately, because while a few of the subtleties eluded Guy, John and Jordan they certainly had the basics down. I don't think the princesses have even seen a recording of a Lantern before.

Koriand'r has turned her attention from the fleet to Rashashoon itself. "Are there Tamaranians down there?"

"I didn't give you a power ring so that you could ask me questions you can easily answer yourself. If you want data, use your ring to get it."

She raises her left hand, orange lights flickering around her left arm and head. "Yes, there are. Tamaranians, Karnans, even a few Branx. Other peoples as well." She lowers her arm, lights dying down a little. "Why Branx? Why would the Citadel permit its ally's people to be treated so?"

Construct armour appears around Komand'r, while Koriand'r's environmental shield flares. She has trouble with desiring armour as a baseline state. Apparently, solar power was so vital to empowering Tamaranian warriors for so long that as a culture they tend to disdain armour.

"I believe so. Koriand'r?" I glance over to where she's greeting the latest group of former slaves. A couple of Tamaranians are amongst them

He turns around, making a small motion with his right hand as he does so. I presume one of the Citadelians behind the barricades presses something, because the force field protecting them deactivates. Then he starts walking towards the entry to the reactor chamber. "Bit of a surprise about the Tamaranians."

"So why are Tamaranians being here a surprise? Do challengers usually keep aliens out of it?"

"They're not usually front and centre like this, but we've had aliens involved before. Usually mercenaries. But I haven't seen a Tamaranian warrior since we conquered them. I didn't think they'd side with one Citadelian over another."

"He was a powerful warrior. He covered the Tamaranian fleet's retreat when we defeated them. Unlucky for him the Psions had a few new tricks they wanted to try out." He pauses. "The old Emperor -the one before the one before Damyn- used to come down here and just.. watch him, sometimes. Damyn doesn't care."

"His power… You're running all of Citadel Complex off him?"

"Stops him from going anywhere. We've still got normal reactors, but this guy could rip battleships apart. Anyway, you see the problem. The Tamaranians find out that he's here-."

I'm standing outside of the cage, the systems around me now near-silent. The golden energy which old Earth and Tamaranian records show to be the visible effect of his telekinesis is crackling less frequently, though the apparently random spurts are still earthing themselves in the frame. The power is being diverted into capacitors, so if Emperor Damyn had any plans for his defence he better hope he has enough batteries. The device the Psions were using to encourage Mister Blake to lash out lies in pieces on the floor. In the unlikely event that I decide to study it there are backups, but at the moment I'm more concerned with the man himself.

**[Two old style Tamaranian navy vessels fly through space towards the Citadelian ships protecting a convoy of slave transports. The Citadelians fire, their gravity distortion waves being stopped dead by a gold/white energy field.]**

"I'm sure that I'll be able to find enough to keep me occupied. There were a few Tamaranian war veterans amongst the slaves we rescued."

I nod. I was worried that the royal party might miss the celebratory ball completely, given how long discussions were taking. I was offered the chance to take part, but they seemed to accept my excuse that I regarded it as a 'purely internal matter of Tamaranian governance'. "And your parents are being reasonably reasonable about the whole thing?"

take a sip from my glass. I'll let the Tamaranians off fermenting perfectly good fruit; the Citadel and Gordanians between them destroyed too much infrastructure for refrigeration to be common and it hasn't been a focus of their industry since I liberated them. "And your current relationship?"

I take a step back, looking around at the other guests. Officers and service personnel from the old Tamaranian fleet, accompanied by their families. A few we rescued, both yesterday and from Hny'xx. They look stunned, unable to believe that they're actually back here. A few more who were fortunate enough to survive and live out the intervening period of time on Tamaran. Occasionally I see them glance at their comrades, some with joy. Others with guilt. There have been more than a few joyful reunions since they returned, though I've been too busy to really appreciate it.

I shake my head. "I probably know less about Tamaranian physiology than you do. But Tamaran isn't going to be prioritising recovering advanced medical technology. And I imagine that you want to cure you more than I do."

I'm leaving the battleship with the Tamaranians, but since the crew complement is still branded they didn't complain about getting into glorified shipping containers for the journey here. I raised the topic, but leaving them on Tamaran was a non-starter. Myand'r wasn't happy about Citadelians being on his planet at all, Koriand'r wasn't happy about them remaining branded and Komand'r wasn't clear why she couldn't assimilate them all.

Perhaps due to how their wings would get in the way, Thanagarians aren't all that big on chairs. I remember that Mister Hol's laboratory on the Watchtower was largely designed at a convenient height for someone standing. Commander Andar's office has a small cluster of what are clearly Tamaranian seats (the clue is the higher backs) but Thanagarian meetings are generally conducted standing, the participants looking one another directly in the face. It's not quite the aggressive gesture it is for Humans, but it's still mildly confrontational.

"No, not at all. The industrial asteroid smelters should enable us to finish getting the Hawk's Nest up to specification in a few weeks. Upgrades to the battleship Assailant will take a few weeks longer, even with a space dock specifically designed for it. The second ship will take over a local year to complete, assuming the Tamaranians don't want us to scrap it for one of their own design. The next bottleneck will be the lack of trained personnel, and I doubt that there's much you can do to help with that."

Well, that HUNGER is a good sign! :D

"Starmother of Pluto, welcome to the Orange Lantern Corps!"

Everyone else: For fuck's sake, Paul...

So what are the chances of Paul being able to assimilate the Chaos Starros? He's been without some form of convenient attack or defense minions ever since he killed his fatties and he hardly uses the hell wraith either. Was it destroyed when he was killed or something?

Plus not only do they offer some form of magic but they could act as a form of mind control when Paul is to busy to brand a target or needs a bit of telekinesis to deal with certain opponents.

I approve, but sadly I think to many races would shit their bricks if they saw Star Conquerors, orange or not.

The trust issues it would cause make them not worth the investment.

Doesn't stop them going out into a galaxy that isn't prepared for them. They could go literally anywhere that would be an easier mark than Earth at that moment. Again, if they wanted resources, they could go anywhere to get them. There had to be something irreplaceable in Pluto.

He literally thinks about another one at the start of this update. It's not like the concept is far from his mind while he twiddles his thumbs in space.

A ship from a race they once enslaved can be seen as irreplaceable if said race no longer exists.

They also could have become impatient and just didn't want to wait anymore.

And if the ship is powerful enough they may want to get it as soon as possible since the Lanterns could track the ships they stole from the Russians and Khan, but the ship that they may want may not be so easy for a Lantern to defeat.

His thoughts on a giant monster around which a planet formed was more akin to a minor thought he had rather than something he was seriously considering.

He isn't twiddling his thumbs.

The moment he figured out it was a Mother Star he told the rest to contact the GLC.

Not shooting it immedeatly can be seen as him not wanting to potentially do more harm than good by destroying Pluto and him wanting to kill the Star Conqueror without taking out a celestial body.

Yes in an anime you should shoot the bad guy before they transform, but there is a bit of a big difference between an ordinary sized guy and a planet sized thing.

As I said previously most people tend to not immedeatly jump to the conclusion that a planet in their solar system was formed around a giant monster.

Well, that HUNGER is a good sign! :D

"Starmother of Pluto, welcome to the Orange Lantern Corps!"

Everyone else: For fuck's sake, Paul...

I approve, but sadly I think to many races would shit their bricks if they saw Star Conquerors, orange or not.

The trust issues it would cause make them not worth the investment.

Even Paul isn't that stupid, despite what some people may think.

Yes he gave rings to some evil people, but that was because he either needed them because of their talents and they were reasonable people.

The Star Conquerors have nothing he may want and OL literary said they can't see people as anything other than something to wear.

If there was ever a time to call in both corps it's now, maybe even the embodiments of Green and Orange as well since this is a fucking Mother Star, basically the most powerful and fully grow of species.

If we're going by TTS meme canon then three naked unarmed Custodes fought a demon Primarch to a standstill until Kaldor Drago arrived.

They also spent 10000 years wandering around the Palace half naked, rubbing each other in lotion and making uncomfortable sexual jokes instead of training.

So while they may still be very powerful, their skills may be less than what they would be if they actually devoted time to training.

They had a warrior culture.

They're experiencing a resurgence in this story and are probably adopting some of their old ways back.

They may not have even abandoned them, just weren't allowed to express them all that much.

The Citadel may have destroyed their fleet, but Tamaranean could have still trained how to fight.

Kori and Kom were trained by Warlods, as were several other Tamaranean nobles.

Even in the comics they still had elements of a warrior culture.

If there was ever a time to call in both corps it's now, maybe even the embodiments of Green and Orange as well since this is a fucking Mother Star, basically the most powerful and fully grow of species.

Paul did tell the others to contact the GLC.

Really... Not a big jump. They're Star Conquerors. They stole ships. That meant they wanted to either escape Earth or do something that required those ships.

It was established way back in the episode "Preparation", that the Watchtower had sensors being used to scan for Star Conquerors. Clearly something prevented the sensors from detecting this one, but for the SI to assume that they were in fact working as intended and that they should have detected this one isn't unreasonable.

"Unlikely. But possible." A moment passes and then his image shimmers as he returns his attention to his subordinates. "Intelligent Star Conquerors are a beta-level threat. Lantern Gardner, follow up on the original discovery with the Atlanteans. Lanterns Stewart and Jordan: until the extent of the threat is known you are authorised to reactivate Sector House seven two zero's deep space sensors and to deploy stellar probes. The larger types of Star Conqueror can call lesser types to them over vast spatial distances and it would be extremely deleterious to the wellbeing of your homeworld if that were to happen."

Clearly, it is time to recruit the Mother Star to the Orange Lantern Corps. :V

I like how Paul is just standing there letting his enemy do whatever they want, very vegeta of him.

The enemy needs to do this thing to power up "I don't see any reason to stop them"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back