• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Hi Mr Zoat, I'm in awe of your work I started reading it on SB, and followed you all the way here. It took me a few days and a few nights but I've caught up with everything.

And firstly I would like to ask if you have a patreon that I could donate to because I feel like this monument of work deserves some appreciation more than words.

And secondly, considering Paul's own views on human augmentation I'm surprised that the paragon timeline hasn't taken any long term enhancements. I remember he considered the impacts of transhumanism early in the story and decided against doing so but considering all that he's faced and done I think he would be more willing to do as such.

His use of the ring to temporarily enhance his reaction times and brain functions Flash(?) levels of comprehension. He can do it to himself permanently and safely by applying the Garrick formula. Or having someone graft cybernetic enchantments to his brain. I can't see why he wouldn't take the opportunity in the long run.

Furthermore, since the infiltration of the Hell arc, I don't think he's ever used the shapeshifter abilities, while I can see why he'd prefer constructs I don't see why he won't modify his cells to enable kryptonian level strength and resilience? He knows it/ possible, he has access to the Jor-El's work and to Superboy not to mention Overgirl's own DNA. If he doesn't want to upset the Kryptonians he's friends with then, he could at least Danner himself. (If he has and I've forgotten, please ignore that).

Another point I think after Satanus captures Paul, is that he realised that he can use demon magic due to the corruption of his soul, (also I don't think he's seen Constantine since he became a Lord of Chaos) has he tried any kind of sorcery after that? If it's the soul that the issue it's should be possible for him to have his soul seen to by Hades or Thanatos, and learn Greek sorcery. Alternatively he could try and absorb heavenly powers and learn from there.

Also very early on in the story, when Paul was having a small party at Luthor's, Paul recommended Lex to Munroe saying that he had more infrastructure than Paul. Why didn't Paul start his own magitech company? With his asteroid mining he didn't lack capital, his meta-knowledge and JL contacts would have access to all he needed. This would have enabled him another channel to innovate the human race as by openly owning/running the firm he would be answerable to himself and wouldn't need to rely on Lex or Kord. He could have be superhero Elon Musk in a sense. I can see that you did something later like that with Peter Wynne but it could also have been done by Paul.

Once more I honestly believe this is one of the if the best fanfic I've seen on the Internet. I truly would be willing to donate to a patreon or something like that. I can't wait to read more of your work.

And secondly, considering Paul's own views on human augmentation I'm surprised that the paragon timeline hasn't taken any long term enhancements. I remember he considered the impacts of transhumanism early in the story and decided against doing so but considering all that he's faced and done I think he would be more willing to do as such.

With regards to the Danner and Garrick formula, early in his stay with the team he ran a lab full of mice and other critters testing those to figure out how they worked, since it was clear it was not properly chemical in origin. During such test he did check it against human blood, such as his investigations on how to 'fix' kid flash's limitations and hunger issues. When he tested his own Earth Prime Blood with those they're was no change, unlike that of local humans. Venom-Buster however DID work out on his tested blood.

This seemed to reinforce the logic that they were magical in nature and interacted with the soul / magical networks of an Earth 16 human, which Paul lacked. At the time of the early tests Paul had not yet gotten his soul energy gathering tattoos, nor had he merged with the embodiment of the orange light. It was suspected that Paul might be able to perform magic once he had gotten a local soul, and some of his abilities (such as looking at peoples desires) boarder on magic.

In the Renegade side, Grayven did take Venom-buster, and later gotten his New God Soul working with the aid of Father Box. He also recreated the Garrick Speed Formula. He used it on himself at that time where it DID function, if only for a short time when he was still gathering his new god powers. It steady stopped working for him as he grew more powerful with regards to being a new god, and his body rejected any changes to his nature.

So, using Grayven as a comparison, Paul might currently be able to use Danner or Garrick on himself, as he now has a soul structure for it to connect with, however unlike Grayven, Pauls soul is rather more patchwork in it's conflicting energies. I'd suspect such an attempt now might be unstable, rather than non functional.

With regards to magic, much like with the formula, at first Paul didn't have access to the internal aspects of magic / soul to manupulate the energies in question. While with his ring he's well researched and studied, he can form basic magical devices that draw power from other sources, but can't provide that energy himself. With his ensouling with the Greed Snake, he might have such connections, and indeed his Teleportation via the Hoden might be seen as magical in nature if what the Venturian spell slingers have observed.

PS. Hi and welcome to the insanity of the comment section, enjoy your stay.

Plutonian (part 5)
12th April
10:23 GMT

"…outside Vega much?"

"No." Koriand'r looks around as we head for open space, carefully noting the position of the Spider Guild's tugs, Amalak's patrol ships and the less orderly vessels of the Jarko-affiliated pirates. "Since the risk from the psions and the gordanians was so great, I wanted to remain close enough to stop them immediately."

I nod approvingly. "Very responsible."

I take a moment to look around myself, not at the ships but at the desires of the crew. Not a full analysis, but detailed enough to pick up anything immediately dangerous. No… No, they all seem happy enough. A few of Jarko's people aren't entirely reassured by their hosts' good behaviour, and they're only here because Jarko got annoyed and threatened to trade their slots away. But they're hunkering down, rather than being actively problematic.

"And of course there is a great deal of work to do on Tamaran and Emana."

I slow to a stop.

"You understand that my invitation to Earth is just an invitation. If you believe that you are needed here, you are at liberty to remain here."

"I understand, but-" She smiles at me. "-I want to go with you. I want to see your homeworld. And there is a problem in my training that I hope time away will give me a new perspective on."

"Is it something you want to talk about? Keeping Orange Lanterns on an even keel is my job."

"I will, but not yet."

Odd. Tamaranean culture usually encourages openness and honesty about personal strife. Oh, I suppose she spent a lot of her childhood on Okaara. Their attitudes are rather different.

"As you wish, but I'm here whenever you want to talk. See you on Earth."

Space around me warps, orange light shading the stars as they fly past-.

I stop in the middle of interstellar space.

Ring, where's Koriand'r?

The ring pings a location some distance behind me. Ugh, of course.

Space warps again as I fly back towards her, stop and turn around, this time ensuring that I'm only warping space to the same degree that she does.

"Sorry. I don't actually work with other Orange Lanterns all that much."

"You are very fast."

"It's why I want to help clear your mind. But perhaps if I..?"

She stops her own space warping and I carry her along in mine.

"My strength is a product of the clarity of my desires. I might not know how best to achieve my aims but I always know what I want and why."

"Do you think that every Orange Lantern should try to become stronger?"

"I believe that every Orange Lantern should engage in self-reflection. Larfleeze was strong -far stronger than me- because he could obsess about everything. He could want whatever was in front of him with insane voracity. But he achieved little, even on the world where he spent millennia. So I try to encourage that self-reflection rather than obsessive focus at the expense of rationality. Of course, that doesn't-"

We exit the warp a moderate distance away from Earth. The planet is clearly visible, as is the moon and the Clustership.

"-mean that every Orange Lantern who manages that is exactly my type."

"There is another Orange Lantern here?"

"Lantern Khan. Whom Clarissi Dox deployed, allegedly to help me."

My ring starts blinking, and I try to pretend that it isn't.

.-.. --- .-. -.. .- -. -.. -- .- -. --. .-

It's not like I don't know what it's saying.

"Forgive me if I'm coming off as self-pitying. I'm fully aware that Tamaran would have loved to be able to call upon Lantern aid as easily as I did for.. so many years. The ClusterCorp's presence just represents a social challenge that my world isn't.. quite ready for."

"Adam explained it to me, but I don't think that I understood."

"It's what we native English-speakers call a 'first world problem'. But I'll explain on Themyscira. I probably need to give my countrywomen oxygen by now."

I transition around and down-

12th April
13:26 GMT +3

-into the same street in Themyscira-.

"Oh, don't you people have-"

"HAHAHAHA!"

"-lives?!"

"H-ow-? Is your daughter? And-. And her mothahahahaha!"

"The Queen's fine, Princess is a manipulative little wretch who will not be referring to me as being her father in any sense again because I'm not her father."

Zosime's keeping it together, but it's clearly a close-run thing.

"Was she..? Seeing other men… Without your knowledge?"

"She doesn't need men to reproduce."

"Just for her pleasure?"

That came from the crowd.

"I haven't asked, I don't want to know."

Though… All those scans I have of her physiology.. tend to indicate that she can't 'interface' with other Guilders, and there aren't males of her particular morphology because she was supposed to be a living incubator. I-.

Koriand'r appears in a flash of orange, and immediately the women of Themsycira have something better to look at than the deadbeat male sexual deviant.

Zosime elbows me as the two parties regard one another.

"Did you pick up the wrong one?"

Koriand'r smiles warmly as the crowd.

"Hello everyone! I am Princess-Lantern Koriand'r of Tamaran, and I am delighted to be here! Please, show me your world!"

"Okay, I'm-"

The crowd flows past me to mob her.

"-heading back to-."

Zosime pats me on the shoulder.

"No one's listening, Pavlos."

"Yes, and that's an improvement. I'm going back to the talks. Please make sure that no one hassles her too much."

Last edited:

Well, got to at least acknowledge his commitment to the wording (when he can remember what he picked in the first place).

Hi Mr Zoat, I'm in awe of your work I started reading it on SB, and followed you all the way here. It took me a few days and a few nights but I've caught up with everything.

And firstly I would like to ask if you have a patreon that I could donate to because I feel like this monument of work deserves some appreciation more than words.
I appreciate the offer, but I don't have one.

His use of the ring to temporarily enhance his reaction times and brain functions Flash(?) levels of comprehension. He can do it to himself permanently and safely by applying the Garrick formula. Or having someone graft cybernetic enchantments to his brain. I can't see why he wouldn't take the opportunity in the long run.
Basically, all of the formulae that are worth using are magic-based, and his weird soul structure means they don't work reliably. Cybernetics are a possibility, but Earth's cybernetics aren't all that advanced and he has a power ring, which can generally sub in without becoming a part of his body.
Furthermore, since the infiltration of the Hell arc, I don't think he's ever used the shapeshifter abilities, while I can see why he'd prefer constructs I don't see why he won't modify his cells to enable kryptonian level strength and resilience? He knows it/ possible, he has access to the Jor-El's work and to Superboy not to mention Overgirl's own DNA. If he doesn't want to upset the Kryptonians he's friends with then, he could at least Danner himself. (If he has and I've forgotten, please ignore that).
Remember how series 2 Kon-El mentioned that he wouldn't ever physically change? Or how Overgirl mentioned that she was sterile? Mixing the genes of different species has have a lot of unintended side effects.
Another point I think after Satanus captures Paul, is that he realised that he can use demon magic due to the corruption of his soul, (also I don't think he's seen Constantine since he became a Lord of Chaos) has he tried any kind of sorcery after that? If it's the soul that the issue it's should be possible for him to have his soul seen to by Hades or Thanatos, and learn Greek sorcery. Alternatively he could try and absorb heavenly powers and learn from there.
The SI has reached the point where 'more power' isn't the answer to the problems he's facing.
Also very early on in the story, when Paul was having a small party at Luthor's, Paul recommended Lex to Munroe saying that he had more infrastructure than Paul. Why didn't Paul start his own magitech company? With his asteroid mining he didn't lack capital, his meta-knowledge and JL contacts would have access to all he needed. This would have enabled him another channel to innovate the human race as by openly owning/running the firm he would be answerable to himself and wouldn't need to rely on Lex or Kord. He could have be superhero Elon Musk in a sense. I can see that you did something later like that with Peter Wynne but it could also have been done by Paul.
Because running a company takes a lot of time, and skills he doesn't have. Which means that getting someone else to do it is generally going to be a better option for him.
Once more I honestly believe this is one of the if the best fanfic I've seen on the Internet. I truly would be willing to donate to a patreon or something like that. I can't wait to read more of your work.
Thank you.
Yet were is the version of Oh El that decided to be a woman most of the time due to ending in gender reversed DC?
That's kind of a 'Dumbledore's gay' thing until I actually write something with it in.

What's going on here? Has L-Ron's desires managed to transmit themselves to orange rings nearby? Has OL's ring developed the ability to convey Themascyran in-jokes? Is Dox forgetting what language Paul speaks?
It says "Lord and Manga" in morse code. Well, LORDANDMANGA. Mr. Capitalism demands to be addressed by his full title.

Given he inadvertently provided the Queen with sexual pleasure, however briefly, when he fingered the wrong hole, so I'm not exactly sure why scans would indicate she can't "interface" with other Guilders.

She has whatever the spider equivalent to fuck-holes are. Were the male Guilders engineered not to have spider dicks?

Thank you, corrected.
Given he inadvertently provided the Queen with sexual pleasure, however briefly, when he fingered the wrong hole, so I'm not exactly sure why scans would indicate she can't "interface" with other Guilders.

She has whatever the spider equivalent to fuck-holes are. Were the male Guilders engineered not to have spider dicks?
No, they have spider dicks, but male Guilders couldn't fit into the available space.

Koriand'r appears in a flash of orange, and immediately the women of Themsycira have something better to look at than the deadbeat male sexual deviant.
Well, it's nice that Koriand'r is going to have her own harem, I suppose.

...though we probably won't ever get to see the massive orgy that results, sadly.

12th April
10:23 GMT

"…outside Vega much?"

"No." Koriand'r looks around as we head for open space, carefully noting the position of the Spider Guild's tugs, Amalak's patrol ships and the less orderly vessels of the Jarko-affiliated pirates. "Since the risk from the psions and the gordanians was so great, I wanted to remain close enough to stop them immediately."
Eminently sensible. And now that their threats are negated, what does she plan to do now?

I nod approvingly. "Very responsible."

I take a moment to look around myself, not at the ships but at the desires of the crew. Not a full analysis, but detailed enough to pick up anything immediately dangerous. No… No, they all seem happy enough. A few of Jarko's people aren't entirely reassured by their hosts' good behaviour, and they're only here because Jarko got annoyed and threatened to trade their slots away. But they're hunkering down, rather than being actively problematic.
Good to see the not-quite-as-bad guys behaving. Presumably, as the Spider Guild's rep for ship repairs and upgrades spread, people will get more relaxed...

"And of course there is a great deal of work to do on Tameran and Ermana."

I slow to a stop.

"You understand that my invitation to Earth is just an invitation. If you believe that you are needed here, you are at liberty to remain here."
Admittedly, he knows whether that's what she believes, or what she wants.

"I understand, but-" She smiles at me. "-I want to go with you. I want to see your homeworld. And there is a problem in my training that I hope time away will give me a new perspective on."

"Is it something you want to talk about? Keeping Orange Lanterns on an even keel is my job."
And he did recruit them personally. That gives him something of a paternal interest in their performance.

"I will, but not yet."

Odd. Tamaranean culture usually encourages openness and honesty about personal strife. Oh, I suppose she spent a lot of her childhood on Okaara. Their attitudes are rather different.
Never underestimate upbringing. She'd have been under a lot of pressure not to show weakness...

"As you wish, but I'm here whenever you want to talk. See you on Earth."

Space around me warps, orange light shading the stars as they fly past-.
And something just occurred to him, didn't it?

I stop in the middle of interstellar space.

Ring, where's Koriand'r?

The ring pings a location some distance behind me. Ugh, of course.
Because of course he wants to be home sooner, so he's faster.

Space warps again as I fly back towards her, stop and turn around, this time ensuring that I'm only warping space to the same degree that she does.

"Sorry. I don't actually work with other Orange Lanterns all that much."
Yes, we've seen the effects of that multiple times... Maybe in future, you'll have to do some team-ups?

"You are very fast."

"It's why I want to help clear your mind. But perhaps if I..?"

She stops her own space warping and I carry her along in mine.
Yeah, much quicker than waiting for her. After all, you've got that little 'spider-fucker' thing hanging on Themyscira...

"My strength is a product of the clarity of my desires. I might not know how best to achieve my aims but I always know what I want and why."

"Do you think that every Orange Lantern should try to become stronger?"
I doubt many have the focus to achieve enlightenment the way he did, forcibly experiencing every slightest unconscious want and choosing to accept them... Few people are so introspective.

"I believe that every Orange Lantern should engage in self-reflection. Larfleeze was strong -far stronger than me- because he could obsess about everything. He could want whatever was in front of him with insane voracity. But he achieved little, even on the world where he spent millennia. So I try to encourage that self-reflection rather than obsessive focus at the expense of rationality. Of course, that doesn't-"
But so few are really good at it. isn't that the very reason Dox is running his experiments on desirable qualities in recruits?

We exit the warp a moderate distance away from Earth. The planet is clearly visible, as is the moon and the Clustership.

"-mean that every Orange Lantern who manages that is exactly my type."

"There is another Orange Lantern here?"
:rolleyes: Unfortunately...

o_O ...How did Manga Khan even hear him leave those parts out?! Some manner of omniscience when someone speaks his name wrongly? Rule of Funny?

"Forgive me if I'm coming off as self-pitying. I'm fully aware that Tamaran would have loved to be able to call upon Lantern aid as easily as I did for.. so many years. The ClusterCorp's presence just represents a social challenge that my world isn't.. quite ready for."
Ah, OL. Underselling it so much...

"Adam explained it to me, but I don't think that I understood."

"It's what we native English-speakers call a 'first world problem'. But I'll explain on Themyscira. I probably need to give my countrywomen oxygen by now."
It's been what, ten minutes? I'm sure they've laughed themselves out by now...

I transition around and down-

12th April
13:26 GMT +3

-into the same street in Themyscira-.
Then again, it was a very funny coincidence...

"Oh, don't you people have-"

"HAHAHAHA!"
:eek: Oh my god... I've had moments like that, but I can usually settle myself down quickly enough...

"-lives?!"

"H-ow-? Is you daughter? And-. And her mothahahahaha!"

"The Queen's fine, Princess is a manipulative little wretch who will not be referring to me as being her father in any sense again because I'm not her father."
And that is basically her name now, isn't it? Until she chooses something else for herself.

Zosime's keeping it together, but it's clearly a close-run thing.

"Was she..? Seeing other men… Without your knowledge?"
"We were not dating, canoodling, wooing or otherwise involved."

"She doesn't need men to reproduce."

"Just for her pleasure?"
...Good question, that woman. She does have suitable orifices, given her, uh, reaction to his massage...

That came from the crowd.

"I haven't asked, I don't want to know."
Yeah, they saw what a Guilder looks like. Do they want images of them mating stuck in their heads?

Though… All those scans I have of her physiology.. tend to indicate that she can't 'interface' with other Guilders, and there aren't males of her particular morphology because she was supposed to be a living incubator. I-.

Ah, the perfect distraction: Tits! And the amazing woman they're attached to. I think he just improved his reputation nicely.

Zosime elbows me as the two parties regard one another.

"Did you pick up the wrong one?"
As if he'd bring a young girl here. Don't you know how dangerous Earth is?

Koriand'r smiles warmly as the crowd.

"Hello everyone! I am Princess-Lantern Koriand'r of Tamaran, and I am delighted to be here! Please, show me your world!"
Oh, yes. They'll happily take her up on that...

"Okay, I'm-"

The crowd flows past me to mob her.
And he no longer exists. Well done, that distraction.

"-heading back to-."

Zosime pats me on the shoulder.
Not jealous? Given how the Amazons seem to enjoy strange and unusual sights...

"No one's listening, Pavlos."

"Yes, and that's an improvement. I'm going back to the talks. Please make sure that no one hassles her too much."
Oh, she's a big girl, she can take care of herself. I'm sure she's capable of seeing off over-amourous suitors - plenty of practice from Okaara no doubt.

I suppose that's one way to get people to forget an embarrassing detail about you. I have the feeling Kori will be very popular on the island...

Regarding augmentation, just fixing the idiocies of human body would probably be worthwhile, if tricky enough to be a whole project. I mean, eye nerve, or the nerve used for swallowing, or determining sufficient oxygen by measuring CO2 or any of the thousand other evolutionary missteps.
Of course, you can't just change things since stuff like the timing between an impulse and heartbeat may be sensitive and fiddly, so it's a whole research project.

Well... Good for them.
In Victorian times, in England, there was a belief in 'female hysteria', and that certain... procedures could relieve this. Given typical human ingenuity devices were created to help with this. Now, not having electricity, things like steam-power were used. And, these were not small, furnaces, boilers, someone to attend to all this.

I recall a steam-punk story (I couldn't tell you the source) where the lady of the house was... treating her hysteria. A call came down, from the master bedroom, to the boiler room, "Stoke! Stoke!". :)

(Just in case: stoker.)

Last edited:
In Victorian times, in England, there was a belief in 'female hysteria', and that certain... procedures could relieve this. Given typical human ingenuity devices were created to help with this. Now, not having electricity, things like steam-power were used. And, these were not small, furnaces, boilers, someone to attend to all this.

I recall a steam-punk story (I couldn't tell you the source) where the lady of the house was... treating her hysteria. A call came down, from the master bedroom, to the boiler room, "Stoke! Stoke!". :)

(Just in case: stoker.)
I was more referring to the fact that male spider-dicks are apparently enormous.

But isn't power rings not being too reliable in detecting and maneuvering around magic one of the few issues left? If he learns magic he'd be able to shore up that weakness.

He still has issues with that, but in that Guys from Gotham episode he was able to overpower some of the wards placed on a warehouse using his empathetic vision to a high degree.

He is also able to absorb magic with his ring now, as he found out after the Hell episode.

But isn't power rings not being too reliable in detecting and maneuvering around magic one of the few issues left? If he learns magic he'd be able to shore up that weakness.
It's like this: there's no prize for being the most powerful being in the universe. When you get to where the SI is now, the time needed to add to your current power in a meaningful way is time you could have spent using the considerable power already at your disposal.

Well, it's nice that Koriand'r is going to have her own harem, I suppose.

...though we probably won't ever get to see the massive orgy that results, sadly.

I'm not so sure. If I remember correctly she's straight in 90% of the sources you could pull from. Though I do vaguely recall her being bi in one of the more mature sources, so I guess it's possible. Bit still, I think it more likely we're about to see what sexual harassment looks like is a lesbian majority society.

Well I must admit this update was amusing. Still vastly prefer Renegade. Almost hate the little one note update on him because it teases something so much better then we are returned and feel the main story is sub-par by comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back