• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Oh... sounds like somebody hasn't heard of the Boston Games. Parahuman villains love, love, love a power vacuum. Parahuman crime isn't a problem you solve by playing Whack-A-Mole, especially not in a city where the corruption is... more than a little rampant.
Parahumans are also exceedingly rare: something like one in ten thousand of the population, and that's in the higher population areas. The CUI, the Worm version of China, has roughly thirty parahumans in the entire country. Once Lord Protector makes the connection with the brain tumor thing and can track down parahumans reliably, he'd be able to murder the entire parahuman villain population of the US in maybe a week.

Parahumans are also exceedingly rare: something like one in ten thousand of the population, and that's in the higher population areas. The CUI, the Worm version of China, has roughly thirty parahumans in the entire country. Once Lord Protector makes the connection with the brain tumor thing and can track down parahumans reliably, he'd be able to murder the entire parahuman villain population of the US in maybe a week.
Which is going to call for immediate assassination by Contessa, probably. Which means he's going to fight her next, or, alternatively, be introduced to the organization as a whole, and sent to fight Scion instead.

Or something. Zoat could take it anywhere from here, so I'm just speculating.

So some of the other Paul's are going to have interplanar adventures?

Did he manage to make a Lantern?

Are we going to see Common Sense, Saul and Sybarite in this episode?
I had an idea to show each of them on Earth Bet. Sybarite opens an insurance company called 'We're not the Elite', the Renegade rescues Amelia from being kidnapped by New Wave, things like that. I might go on to write those.
Did you finally read Worm Zoat? What's going on?
Only by osmosis.
Oh... sounds like somebody hasn't heard of the Boston Games. Parahuman villains love, love, love a power vacuum. Parahuman crime isn't a problem you solve by playing Whack-A-Mole, especially not in a city where the corruption is... more than a little rampant.
"So if I wait, they'll come to me? That's oddly helpful for this place."
I dub thee Mellow Yellow!

Lord Protector is violently unmellow.
for the love of god please have this worm section of the fic be contiguous. i dont want to have to read part 2 of this like 50 updates from now.
Part 2 is tomorrow. Part 3 is at the end of the episode.

There is no part 4.

Last edited:
"So if I wait, they'll come to me? That's oddly helpful for this place."
Brockton Bay is one of three cities, along with Pueblo and Jasper, which have special PRT offices and Protectorate Headquarters designations due to rampant villain presence. Of the three, Brockton Bay has a population of about 350,000, Pueblo has about 100,000, and Jasper is somewhere between 15,000 and 4,000 depending on which state it's in. I figured it's why someone (with no metaknowledge) would pop into Brockton Bay in particular. That, or the Empire 88 being an older parahuman institution than the Protectorate, if Krieg's career length is any indicator.

"He was a serial murderer who runs an organisation of rapists, slavers, murderers and drug peddling thugs. Would you like to reflect upon your question?"
I wouldn't say anything of value was lost, but that's still not justice. Just convenient.

Also, murder.

How is he powering his ring?
Probably from ambient fear?

Yellow might be ill-equipped, still. I'd consider canon Worm to be white ring - worthy.
He should have a chance, though. Power rings...

Saying New Wave kidnapped Amy is questionable, considering her dad requested they take her.

Anyway, she'd have, what, become a warden of state and then gotten adopted, or gone to a foster home. So it's possible she was adopted completely legally. Don't remember my Worm well enough, though

Last edited:
Oh man, this entire subplot is gonna be nuts.

Not the plot itself.

The comments.

I might just absent myself tomorrow and whenever Part 3 happens.

Also, Zoat, how do you have a new chapter every day? I barely made it half a month with Seven Rings before I just shut down. This shits hard.

How the fuck did he even get into this dimension?

It's sealed off from dimensional travel from outside of the small cluster.

He has a database with advanced knowledge and tech, plus this is a future version of LP, so for all we know he could be thousands of years old, and who knows what extra knowledge and skills he has gathered during that time.

Another explanation is: Power Rings are Awesome.

Seeing as Worm entities don't appear to be able to reach universes with outright magic like Thundercats, any dimensional travel ability that can get from there to Worm would have to be operating at a higher level or use completely different principles the Worm entities aren't familiar with. Either way not much of a stretch for it to get past a Worm entity's sealing.

Oh man, this entire subplot is gonna be nuts.

Not the plot itself.

The comments.

I might just absent myself tomorrow and whenever Part 3 happens.

Also, Zoat, how do you have a new chapter every day? I barely made it half a month with Seven Rings before I just shut down. This shits hard.
Friends, family, religion. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in fanfiction.
From a Lantern. Originally the guy was charging it through meditation and some help with Evil spirits or whatnot from Thudercats, then he learnt how to make a Lantern during the Crisis of Finite Pauls.
He learned that it was possible. Not quite the same thing.

Please pay attention, for I will say this only once
Was this a Allo Allo! reference?

And, was it said in a fake French accent? :)

I might wonder if Taylor would make a good Yellow Ring wielder...

Thinking about Worm capes that might give an Enlightened YL a hard time, I might wonder about Heartbreaker...

But, I suspect the SI is smart enough to do some scouting, and stomp him from a distance.

Are... Are you OK?

You sound a little not-OK here.
I think it's a reference to the level of dedication required to post about 1k words on a daily basis for four+ years. Which bit of the anatomy your muse has got you by is generally left to the imagination of the reader. Though, the brain is a pretty good guess.

You might want to look-up graphomania...

I could talk about how long it took me to dig my way back out of Second Life, but that'd be Off Topic. Comes under "If you think something's worth doing, it's worth overdoing!".

Last edited:
The comments are immediately what I would expect from adding Worm. Fantastic.

Two random thoughts:

The emotional spectrum may or may not be of interest to the entities, but the tech to make power rings definitely is. Moreover, a ring with a database, and thus Bleed tech? Would absolutely be of interest, as the Bleed likely does solve their energy question.

Throwing the endbringers into space is a glib answer, but it's a bad one, unless you're going light-years out. They all have some ability to turn themselves into rockets (except maybe... Bohu? I always get Tohu and Bohu confused), and dropping them into the sun not only doesn't kill them, but is definitely an Earth-destroying mistake, per WoG.

Are... Are you OK?

You sound a little not-OK here.
It's a paraphrased Simpson's quote, from Mr. Burns:

"I'll keep it short and sweet. Family, religion, friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. When opportunity knocks, you don't want to be driving to a maternity hospital or sitting in some phony-baloney church. Or synagogue."

Given that they only have Oni Lee and Bakuda, neither of which would come close to threatening him? Chances are good for his success
Do they even have Bakuda at this point? I know Lung basically press-ganged her after she Triggered and blew up half of Cornell ensuingly, and that was at least very recent at the start of Worm, but I'm not sure if it was 'just before' or 'just after'.

If they do then I'd actually count her as possibly the most likely to give the Lord Protector trouble, given her power is literally "make anything into a bomb that does anything". Having a time-freeze or a black hole go off in his face would be...a problem.
(A problem solved by a ring alert, of course, but you plan on your enemies' capabilities.)

Oni Lee, however, would probably take one look at him and hang up his mask.

Given the Yellow Enlightenment, both things can be true anyway. Hero and serial killer. Cruelty in the name of peace. Sinestro would applaud his logic, I think.
It's very Sinestran. And some worlds require it. The catch, of course, is knowing when to stop...or wanting to.

Ah, Armsmaster. Flanderised into an asshole by fanon. Not that far off, given what few glimpses into his mind we see.
Armsy cannot into social, knows that, and pretends that doesn't bother him (it bothers him a lot). Combined with a Tinker's drive..
Really there are very good reasons why one of the Worm/Transformers crossovers makes him basically into Ultra Magnus.

As I remember, there was a storyline were they explained that the emotional light spectrum wasn't limitless and even though it was vast, it could be depleted (at least in thr DC universe). It was a storyline were a survivor of a previous universe, one where they used light spectrum technology and used up all the emotional light energy, tries to acquire all Emotion avatars and pierce the Source Wall.

I don't know if Wormverse would be under the same rules or not.
That piece of utterly bizzare idiocy was after the Green Lantern comics finally gave in and became New 52. Therefore it doesn't exist.

Originally the guy was charging it through meditation and some help with Evil spirits or whatnot from Thudercats,
The Ancient Spirits of Evil.

That piece of utterly bizzare idiocy was after the Green Lantern comics finally gave in and became New 52. Therefore it doesn't exist.

It's not as bizarre or idiotic as you're making it sound.

A lot of things aren't unlimited and the civilizations using the Spectrum for power were using them for who knows how long, and apparently using them for every single thing, so after a certain point it's possible that they could have depleted it somehow.

The reason the various groups in DC comics that use the Spectrum haven't run out of it could be because they don't use it on the same level as the Lightsmiths, or as long they have.

The fact that Relic came from a previous universe could also indicate that something about his universes Spectrum was different that made it possible for it to run out of energy.

It is possible for universes where the Spectrum is limited, but still vast, to exist.

Do they even have Bakuda at this point? I know Lung basically press-ganged her after she Triggered and blew up half of Cornell ensuingly, and that was at least very recent at the start of Worm, but I'm not sure if it was 'just before' or 'just after'.
She was recruited in March 2011, story starts in April 2011

It's not as bizarre or idiotic as you're making it sound.

Emotions are not a nonrenewable resource like oil.

They aren't even a nonrenewable resource in DC, either, because the Blue Lantern Corps rings are perpetual motion engines because the blue lanterns inspire hope in others, which means they make more hope, making more hope is kind of the entire point of the BLC, thematically, and how their rings work backs that up.

Of course, DC contradicting itself is nothing new....

And while I didn't read that storyline, I understand that Relic got a big "I told you so" moment because the DC universe was also running out of emotions, and was only saved when the emotional embodiments sacrificed themselves to restore the balance, so no, it wasn't a "Relic's universe was different" thing, and somehow the fact that the various Lantern Corps should not be using as much emotion as entire civilizations that power everything from their toothbrushes to their air conditioning on emotional energy was also not a factor. So sadly you're giving DC too much credit there.

Now that I think about it, if Paul can see people's greatest fears, woulf he see something similar to their trigger events? And if so, if he uses their fears to attack them, could he by doing so produce a second trigger event? He may have to be cautious with it.

Emotions are not a nonrenewable resource like oil.

They aren't even a nonrenewable resource in DC, either, because the Blue Lantern Corps rings are perpetual motion engines because the blue lanterns inspire hope in others, which means they make more hope, making more hope is kind of the entire point of the BLC, thematically, and how their rings work backs that up.

Of course, DC contradicting itself is nothing new....

And while I didn't read that storyline, I understand that Relic got a big "I told you so" moment because the DC universe was also running out of emotions, and was only saved when the emotional embodiments sacrificed themselves to restore the balance, so no, it wasn't a "Relic's universe was different" thing, and somehow the fact that the various Lantern Corps should not be using as much emotion as entire civilizations that power everything from their toothbrushes to their air conditioning on emotional energy was also not a factor. So sadly you're giving DC too much credit there.

Maybe.

However it still doesn't discount the possibility that there may be universes where the Spectrum is limited.

However it still doesn't discount the possibility that there may be universes where the Spectrum is limited.
I strongly suspect someone's mentioned this before, though I've not seen it, but the whole 'Emotional Spectrum as a power source' bit sounds a lot like the 'Universal Will to Become' from Vonnegut's The Sirens of Titan novel (1959)...

So, tapping into the basic Purpose of the entire universe as a power supply...

People are forgetting how OP power rings are and the potential uses. Any attempt of messing with Paul by messing with his internals will fail due to the ring stopping it.

The connection between the avatar and the main warrior entity means there's a ongoing connection between them and since Paul isn't a Parahuman with parahuman limits what's stopping him from using his ring to scan the avatar find out there's a link to somewhere in another universe and going there?

Everything we have seen from power rings shows us that its not impossible. I'm not saying Paul would stomp but it wouldn't be one sided against paul either.

Also that whole Justice league vs endbringers thing that Wildbow mentioned, I believe the version being talked about was the DCAU versions which are massively weaker then their mainstream comic counterparts.

I could be wrong about this, I haven't seen the post in a while. Also he talks about how bs the JL are which is ironic considering how bs the Endbringers are. It would depend on which iteration of the JL were talking about.

I'm curious to see how more powerful precogs will react to Paul would PTV outright fail because of how new he is and how esoteric his power source is?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back