• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

apparently we're on fire name terms

'first name'

usual appearance while during the relocation.

Remove 'while'.

I personally think that the goatee is a terrible look for him

Ahh, the evil twin look.

He elocution training has

'His elocution'

Time fer me to make my own mark on the world?" I nod-shrug. "Interesting idea. Kinda assumed I'd get this talk from Pa."

"Yeah." I sigh. "That would be better. Or your grandpa, or grandma, or your Uncle Jimmy or Uncle Pete. But I'm what you've got."

They're either dead or in prison and getting them out is either impossible or not something they can divert resources to.

We've been getting a lot of different scenes with alternate Pauls this episode.

Renegade-Paul (Grayven) would eventually admire Blue Paul, if he examined the latter's circumstances and successes. Blue Paul… would probably detest what Grayven did with Lynne, Sunset, and Misa in Africa. On the surface their actions (villains running amok on Earth -14)would look similar, but… the Damocles sword over Blue's head was NOT over Grayen's crew. So it was needlessly… inefficient, risky.

Blue would probably like current Grayven, enough to work with him. Hooray elements of harmony.

I really don't see why he hasn't switched sides yet.

The Old Management is gone, his rehabilitation efforts don't seem to go anywhere and hsi "friends" are supposed to be used as decoys

Just go to the Underground and mob the rest of the Syndicate up

If Blue learned at his alternative learned how to make a personal lantern I think that he might fully charge his ring on the spot.

Not really.

Blue rings can be charged by the hopes of the people around them, not by the ring wielder.

The Old Management is gone, his rehabilitation efforts don't seem to go anywhere and hsi "friends" are supposed to be used as decoys

That's not quite so easy.

At this point he's come to like or at least sympathize with his 'friends'.

He may feel like he can do more good working with them by establishing a less evil version of the Syndicate.

In real life people that have joined criminal groups under threats of violence may continue to be in those groups even if they get a chance to get out.

They do this for various reasons, such as liking the power they now have, having a massive fear of retribution, or they may feel they do not deserve any better since they've done horrible things while in the group, so now they continue being in those groups as something like their own personal hell on Earth.

It's unfortunate but true that these things happen.

People are not inherently rational or logical beings.

They'll do all sorts of stupid things for all sorts of weird, stupid or illogical reasons.

"Recognised, Power Ring Blue, Made Man of Power Ring."

Earth -14
Oranga
11th September 2012
20:23 GMT +3
Ah, some time with our dear Baul. When last we saw him, he'd just brokered a peace deal between the Injustice Society's leadership and the new president, Alexander Luthor, yes? Or rather, our OL did, wearing his face while Baul was on his honeymoon in spaaaaace... Still, I trust that people having been playing nice.

I appear in the antechamber of the team's new base of operations, and take a moment to relax. Things… Things are going as well as they could…

I chuckle slightly for a moment.
Yes, you have a lot to thank OL for next time you see him...

I can't even finish that thought.

But they could be going a great deal worse, and -to quote Dilbert- that's not nothing.
Indeed. I bet you're even getting a trickle of local charge these days. Assuming you didn't snag a Lantern out there.

The Syndicate has almost completely moved to the arse ends of the world. The Answer is heading up Asian operations, their Byzantine political and economic systems suiting him perfectly. 'Al' -because apparently we're on fire name terms now- is having fun scaring the night soil out of the drug cartels of South America while the Director is stretching his tentacles out across Africa. This hotel is one of his, and the staff and guests are robots operating under his direction.
Nice to see Capo Scott - 'Power Ring Yellow' these days - keeping himself busy. Remind me, who is the Director again, and which hero is he a counterpart of?

"So?"

Most of the guests.

"Mister Quick, you know full well-."
Ah, our poor kid Flash counterpart. Still using that knock-off super-speed formula, I expect...

"We're all gunna get tole inna bit, ain't we?" He shrugs, and I note that despite the enforced inactivity he's barely jittering at all. Looks like the new formulation of the speed formula has ironed out that problem. "What's it ma'ahr?"

"Because it undermines Ultraboy. He's the team leader. I bring news to him, he decides how to share it with the team." I nod politely. "Excuse me."
I like that he maintains the fiction that he isn't in charge, so as to avoid being the target of reprisals... Very clever...

I head towards-

"But we're gettin' out, roight?"
Later, Kid.

-Jon's suite-

"Roight?"
Later! Man, Baul must have the patience of a saint to not toss him out a window or something...

-and knock politely on the door.

"Ultraboy?"
At least the addict is smart enough to clam up when he should...

He doesn't run, but I hear his heavy footfalls on the other side of the door immediately. His self control is pretty good, all things considered, but he's been feeling the enforced inactivity just as much as everyone else. He's looking… Okay. Though I personally think that the goatee is a terrible look for him, it does fulfil the recommendation that everyone alter their usual appearance while during the relocation. He's even abandoned the 'U' insignia he used to have on just about every piece of clothing he owned. No one familiar with his old appearance would look for a young man in a suit.
Probably a bit young for a full beard, and his hair would need to grow a bit to get any kind of disguise going there. At least he learnt to cut out the sigil spam. :p

"You got something, Blue?"

He elocution training has been more miss than hit, but unlike many of our colleagues he is actually making an effort.
So he sounds less like a Brooklyn thug and more of a proper gangster? I suppose that makes Capo Scott consider him a little more fondly...

"Indeed I do. Would you please accompany me to the briefing room?"

"Sure, just… Give me a minute."

I nod. "Of course."
Now, I wonder what he was doing that could take a minute or two to finish up? :p Or should I say 'who'?

He heads back inside, closing the door after him, while I head towards the meeting room. I'm not sure whether the Director meant it as an insult or not, but the main meeting table was originally a replica of the one the old Management used to use. I had it taken out almost immediately, and replaced with a more collegial circle. I also added some soft seating off to the side for less formal one-to-one chats, and it's there that I head. And in deference to the preferences of my colleagues, I pull out a decanter and a couple of tumblers before sitting down.
Heh. I get the feeling of an old speakeasy bar from the twenties here, even if it's a more modern setup. It just feels... Right.

How… To sell this.

Jon pushes the door open and does a quick scan of the door before coming inside and closing the door. He makes eye contact with me, and I hold up Zorina's anti-detection ward and do a quick scan to make sure. Nothing detected, so I give Jon a nod.
Definitely got some power to burn these days.

He hesitates for a moment and then walks slowly over, eyes alighting on the glasses.

"Since when do you drink?"

"I don't. It's alcohol free; basically wheat juice. It's practically a health drink."
But people thinking he's getting drunk probably helps put them at ease around him, I bet. One more bit of sneakiness.

Jon frowns, a snort escaping his nostrils. "Fer real?"

"Eh… A few other chemicals. Nothing intoxicating, but it tastes just like the real thing."
A handy bit of ring-work, or just something he found out there in the world? I'm sure there's all manner of non-alcoholic variants of popular drinks...
Edit: Okay, there definitely is in our world. I wonder how true that is in Earth -14...

He sits down opposite, picking up his glass and sniffing it. "And no one figured it out?"

I shrug. "I changed it five months ago and no one's said anything." I pick up my glass and hold it out to him. He taps his own against it with a chink, then we each take a small sip. "Your health."
Good to see they're still friends here, even after everything that's happened. And the remarkable age difference.

He nods. "Makes me think of the first time we had a drink together. Guess that's a happier memory for me than you."

"I've found that life isn't quite so easily sorted into 'good' and 'bad' these days."
The first time being in the presence of Ultraman, just after Ultraboy's existence was revealed. Yes, I can imagine those were happier times for him. Especially since Ultraman was a lot more accepting than his heroic counterpart was.

"Guess I should be grateful about that." Jon puts his glass down and sits back. "What're our orders?"

I shake my head. "The Management don't-."

"Sure. 'Requests'."
Maintaining the appearance of gentility and class in the Society. Despite many of them being thugs, lunatics and worse.

"It's an important distinction. They're recognising your independence and-."

"And that I gotta do what they say if I want the light t'stay on."
...That could be taken so many ways. :confused: Not many of them good... Understandable, though, since the Society's juniors are at a significant power disadvantage with the New Leadership...

"You can look at it like that." I shrug. "You can do your own thing, or you can answer requests and receive the commensurate rewards."

"We did what you said to make the New Management happen. Not like I had any better ideas." I shrug. "Plan any good?"
I suspect a lot of Ultraboy's plans were 'go find someone to beat on till they did what he told them to'...

"I think it will achieve the Syndicate's medium term objectives. Whether it's the best thing to do or not…" I shrug again. "You remember our alter egos?"

"Yeah."
I would suspect so. Given how good a fight they were...

"Their team is used by their mentors as a covert operations unit. Their United Nations imposes rules on the Justice League, and they use their apprentices to bypass them without anyone knowing. The Management want to do the reverse with the Young Offenders. While the Syndicate beds down in its new areas of operation, your team will carry out random acts of brigandage with the aim of drawing as much attention as possible." Jon frowns. "Luthor's sticking to the deal, but there are more excitable elements-"
So, they're playing bait and stalking horses for would-be heroes. Bit of a drop in status.

"The Justice Underground."

"-who will come after the Syndicate anyway, and the New Management want them led away from the more vulnerable areas of the business. And you've got plenty of vinegar in you, so I doubt that you'll complain if they catch up with you."
Still, I suppose it makes sense. I'm sure Ultraboy and his teammates have lots of pent-up feelings to work out through percussive therapy... ;)

"Easy to sell it to the others. I'm guessing we can't go back to America."

"No, but you could attack US interests outside of the States. Just as long as you don't draw attention to other Syndicate assets."
And no doubt this US has plenty of those. I'm sure he'll be spoiled for choice.

He nods, looking at his drink for a moment. "Or what else?"

"What else?"

"You got some other idea." He looks up. "Don't you."
Baul always has ideas. But before, he was stuck under the thumb of the Society...

"I… Do."

"So?"

"We do need a decoy, but we can get anyone to do that. There are a few of the less stable Made Men I wouldn't mind seeing the back of. But for you… How would you like to head up your own operation?"
Heh. Turning the Young Offenders into a truly global force, perhaps.

"What's the catch?"

"You have to create one."
Well, no-one said becoming the next Ultraman would be easy.

He frowns. "How?"

"The Syndicate has been moving into highly criminalised areas and inserting itself as the top level boss. My idea for the team is to go somewhere that has suffered a complete breakdown in law and order and creating order."
Effectively turning it into their own little fiefdom of crime...

A wry smile. "Like heroes."

"Like empire-builders. You saw how fast Slade threw every law he swore to uphold out of the window the moment he thought that's what he needed to do to win. Ultimately, that's what law is; what the strongest force in a society says will happen. Constitutions are just paper. If you conquer an area, if you enforce your will and bring stability, people will support you."
Indeed... Especially in this world, which lives by the creed Cui Bono - 'Who Profits?'

"Time fer me to make my own mark on the world?" I nod-shrug. "Interesting idea. Kinda assumed I'd get this talk from Pa."

"Yeah." I sigh. "That would be better. Or your grandpa, or grandma, or your Uncle Jimmy or Uncle Pete. But I'm what you've got."
Who are likely all dead or imprisoned, given Slade's enthusiastic approach to cleaning up the country...

"Yeah. I guess you are."

He swirls his drink around in his glass.

"Where were you thinking we'd do this?"
What would be the worst hellhole in this world? The shittiest part that no-one would care if you conquered? Don't tell me, even here, I'm sure it would be Santa Prisca.

Well, now that Baul's got a more stable situation, he's starting to feel that uplifting urge that all empowered Pauls seem to get sooner or later, eh? I wish him luck, because he's going to need it, in this world of short-sighted thugs, greedy madmen and twisted psychopaths...

Last edited:
Nice to see Capo Scott - 'Power Ring Yellow' these days - keeping himself busy. Remind me, who is the Director again, and which hero is he a counterpart of?

He's Niles Caulder, the Chief.

this world of short-sighted thugs, greedy madmen and twisted psychopaths...

That's also technically how Paragon's world is like.

Full of short-sighted thugs, greedy madmen and twisted psychopaths.

A handy bit of ring-work, or just something he found out there in the world? I'm sure there's all manner of non-alcholic variants of popular drinks...
Yeah, it's an entire multi-million dollar industry. It's really easy to find non-alcoholic versions of various drinks if you actually go looking for them.

When and why did Blue become a Made Man of Power Ring? Shouldn't he be a Made Man of Zatara, what with being married into the family and all? Or even a Made Man of Ultraboy, said capo having inherited him from the previous capo and become (partially) independent at this point?

When and why did Blue become a Made Man of Power Ring? Shouldn't he be a Made Man of Zatara, what with being married into the family and all? Or even a Made Man of Ultraboy, said capo having inherited him from the previous capo and become (partially) independent at this point?

When this Paul came to Earth -14 he stopped some criminals from committing a crime and then went to Alan Scott's house for the Lantern.

However he found out he's in the Mirror Universe and that version of Alan cut off his thumbs.

After reattaching them he somehow ended up near Ultraman, and the criminals he previously stopped were working for him, but he managed to appease him by giving him gold.

After that Ultraman made him a Made Man of him.

Then he got put in charge of the Young Offenders.

Now I think he's part of the New Management, or is at least much higher up in the organization.

That would explain why he's not subordinate to Zatara or Ultraboy.

I like the idea that they're going to take over a country, supervillain style. Rule everythign with an iron fist, extort money out of the people, kill dissenters... but the people they're going to replace are already doing all of those things, plus kidnapping their kids to turn into child-soldiers or child-sex-slaves so the general populous will look at them and go "Yeah, this is an improvement. I can live with this." and more-or-less regard them as a positive force.

Jon clearly already knows that Blue would prefer for them to go legit, but Blue is smart enough not to suggest that. Not yet.
Instead he's going to suggest pragmatic and practical villainy.

'first name'
Remove 'while'.
'His elocution'
Thank you, corrected.
Remind me, who is the Director again, and which hero is he a counterpart of?
Niles Caulder.
What would be the worst hellhole in this world? The shittiest part that no-one would care if you conquered? Don't tell me, even here, I'm sure it would be Santa Prisca.
No, that's the most stable and socially unified democracy in South America.
'Power Ring' in this context is Alan 'Capo' Scott.

Actually, if you look down at cinematic Wakanda, you can see their slums. And unlike normal slums, those aren't inhabited by recent immigrants from other nations or the countryside. Because Wakanda doesn't have immigration and everyone outside the city is part of the security services. Those are long term city-dwellers, their plight ignored by the absolute dictator who controls all of their nation's resources.
My first thought was Khandaq, but if Zoat is mirroring countries, then Markovia probably needs "liberation."
Not to worry. Noted acrobat Marquis Metronome is on the case and will soon depose the child-tyrant.

Actually, if you look down at cinematic Wakanda, you can see their slums. And unlike normal slums, those aren't inhabited by recent immigrants from other nations or the countryside. Because Wakanda doesn't have immigration and everyone outside the city is part of the security services. Those are long term city-dwellers, their plight ignored by the absolute dictator who controls all of their nation's resources.
Urgh. The world building in the MCU is so garbage. They say both in and out of the movie that they are the most advanced civilization. But for some reason they decided to have dirt roads and straw roofs.

The heart of the matter is when they designed Wakanda they wanted an advanced civilization with an African aesthetic. But what they made was just a shity third world African village with skyscrapers.

I like the idea that they're going to take over a country, supervillain style. Rule everything with an iron fist, extort money out of the people, kill dissenters... but the people they're going to replace are already doing all of those things, plus kidnapping their kids to turn into child-soldiers or child-sex-slaves so the general populous will look at them and go "Yeah, this is an improvement. I can live with this." and more-or-less regard them as a positive force.
Jon clearly already knows that Blue would prefer for them to go legit, but Blue is smart enough not to suggest that. Not yet.
Instead he's going to suggest pragmatic and practical villainy.

As long as they rule with a lighter hand, are less greedy and follow their own clearly set out rules most of the time? They'd be the most popular rulers those places have seen in a long time.

I think at this point, Baul is too radicalized to do anything. He has spent long enough rationalizing his behavior. Not to mention his primary social network is the Young Offenders. He doesnt really have anywhere else to go.

So he seems to have settled on trying to mold the Young Offenders into something better. Find some place and make it theirs. And they dont want to their stuff to be a trashpile. They want it to be nice.

The Syndicate operates on the idea of protecting their people. So how do you turn their successors into heroes? Expand who "their" people are. With some profit of course. No reason it needs to be free or altruistic. As long as it is a net positive.

By this point, I suspect he's got a raging case of Stockholm's-
i strongly suspect Ultraboy will still kill him if he did something to piss him off enoug…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back