• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Workhorse (part 1)
Workhorse

20th September 2012
17:11 GMT

Jade's eyes open very narrowly as I enter our bedroom.

"You missed your own birthday."

"Yes, yes I did." I take off my ring and lay it on the dressing table, followed by Larfleeze's ring and there's the consequence of three days without sleep. "Probably worth it."

Jade sits up slightly, her eyes opening fully. "What was it?"

"Ah… Parallel Earth corrupted by demon magic. They were attacking Nazi Earth and our Light were attacking them." I take off my jacket and put it on a force field hanger. "Their civilisation was wrecked. I spent most of my time making sure that they could get food into the cities."

"I thought you were taking a holiday."

"No, I'm just not-." I unbuckle my trousers and lower them enough to step out with my right leg. "Not working for the Corps at the moment. The work never ends." Left leg out, and-. Force field hangers are really great, actually.

"So it's not just the Reach."

"Hm?"

"It's not just the Reach." She actually sits up in bed, duvet held loosely against her chest. "If we waited until after the Reach were defeated, would you still disappear for days without warning?"

"Yes, but not very often."

Undershirt… How does this need cleaning already? My environmental shield should-. Ugh, laundry pile for tomorrow.

"If I'm trouble shooting the whole war I can be called away at any moment. There's literally no fight going on that wouldn't be going better if I was there. Dox doesn't call me in like that because we need to get L.E.G.I.O.N. blooded."

"And because he hates depending on you."

"Or looking like he's depending on me. But that's going to change. And Earth has the Justice League."

"So why did they send you?"

"They didn't. I was just there." I pull down my pants, right leg out then left leg out, and toss it into the laundry pile before sitting down on the edge of the bed to remove my socks. "And it was a Truggs thing."

"So is he officially your nemesis?"

"I would rather avoid calling him that."

She moves through the bed so that she can lean against my back, arms wrapping around my sides. I lean my head to the left, resting the side of my head against her forehead.

"That didn't sound like a 'no'."

"Come on, Jade. What did you use to think of people who fixated on relationships with people they hate?"

"I thought they were stupid. But I thought the same thing about people who did the things you do without getting paid, and my nemesis was probably my father."

"Okay, but how much of what you did day to day was about him?"

"I joined the Shadows to get away from him."

"Yes, but once you did that. Were you..? Picturing him every time you-?"

"No. But I always assumed that I'd kill him eventually."

"Do you want to?"

"No. He doesn't matter anymore."

"Have you got a new nemesis I should know about?"

"Why? Worried they're going to kidnap you and tie you to a railway track?"

"It's a classic." I twist around so that I can face her. "Truggs and I sometimes end up in the same place because we want to do the same things. Someone like… Jack Napier's just crazy, a Smilex overdose making him experience everything as the best joke he's ever heard. The only way to fix him would involve rewiring his brain. Truggs is just-. So close to doing something useful with his life. You know?"

She looks at me askance. "Should I be jealous?"

"Are you jealous of Leonard Snart? Or-."

"The others are all in prison."

"Alright, I'll admit to a greater degree of personal frustration with Truggs than the others, even at their most stubborn." I lean my head closer, so that our noses are almost touching. "But you have absolutely no need to be jealous. Though… There was something Kara said…"

"Was this when she was exposed to black kryptonite and trying to rape you?"

"Yes. So I'm not-. She wasn't in her right mind, but she did make-. She did say something…"

"Are you going to get broken up about what a crazy person said?"

"If they make sense, I.. do need to follow it up."

She pulls back slightly. "Fine. What did she say?"

"So… You… Joined the Darkstars because we were looking for ways for you to productively use your abilities. I didn't-. It didn't occur to me to… Ask if you want to do something else completely."

"No."

"Okay, but, so you think it… Might have been advantageous if you did? I mean… Was there any point in your life when you wanted to be something else?"

She looks thoughtful, and I avoid looking deeper. I don't want to 'cheat' on whether she's working out how to handle my question or whether she's genuinely trying to answer me.

"I wanted to just… Disappear."

"Disappear?"

"Just… Fade away. Why did you think I called myself 'Cheshire'?"

"I didn't really think about it." I shrug. "People in our profession pick all sorts of names for themselves."

"I just wanted to be able to appear, and… Say something confusing or pretentious, then disappear again. To just… Do my own thing without being tied down."

"Huh. I… Hope you don't mind being tied down a little bit?"

She raises her eyebrows. "Is that what you wanted for your birthday?"

Heh.

"Jade, you're never not appealing, but I'm knackered right now." She chuckles, pressing her forehead against mine. "I meant… With me."

"That's… Fine, but-"

"'Fine'?"

"-we-." She smiles, kissing me lightly on the lips. "Fine. But I am owed leave. If you think you could go that long without working."

"How long do you have?"

"A month."

"A month?"

"You wanted to spend more time together."

"A month without working?"

She tilts her head to the left.

"Do you think you can?"

Do I?

"I honestly don't know, but for you, I'm happy to try."

Last edited:
I really hope this isn't a situation where the MC tries to take a break, which leads to everyone he works with only realizing how important he is because he isn't around to put out all the fires they either never noticed or never had to take care of before thanks to his presence.

And it was a Truggs thing."

Though he kinda is.

Specifically, he's your dark mirror.

"Come on, Jade. What did you use to think of people who fixated on relationships with people they hate?"

"I thought they were stupid

You kinda fixated on your dad, who you hate, so...

"It's a classic

Though if there's no ticking clock then it's just not as good.

So what is Angelika up to after she reunited with her side?

Did she return or is she going to keep being on the Team?

Will they maintain contact with Nazi Earth in the future?

Jump cut to Blue!Paul returning from his honeymoon, with a list of chores from Paragon!Paul! I hope Blue!Paul tamed a hopeful birdie recently because someone in this neck of the multiverse needs some Lantern's Light in their life.

Hmm. Blue spending a month with his Zatanna (Zorina?) hunting down Paragon's Circe could be fun. Then Truggs would be out his new ejection seat button.

I really hope this isn't a situation where the MC tries to take a break, which leads to everyone he works with only realizing how important he is because he isn't around to put out all the fires they either never noticed or never had to take care of before thanks to his presence.
Arc title has me thinking "perpetually interrupted vacation."

I kind of hope that it is.
It might be neater than another vacation interrupt.
Though a vacation interrupt with Jade along would also be interesting.

Workhorse

20th September 2012
17:11 GMT

Jade's eyes open very narrowly as I enter our bedroom.

"You missed your own birthday."

Yes, that's something people might have missed in all the amusement over Grayven's little sort-of prank on Prince Blueblood. OL basically spent his birthday battling a demon-possessed Earth, and wrangling Nazis. Not the fun kind of present...

"Yes, yes I did." I take off my ring and lay it on the dressing table, followed by Larfleeze's ring and there's the consequence of three days without sleep. "Probably worth it."

Jade sits up slightly, her eyes opening fully. "What was it?"
...I'm honestly amazed you're still standing at this point, with no ring support. I probably would have toppled into the bed like a falling tree. :p

"Ah… Parallel Earth corrupted by demon magic. They were attacking Nazi Earth and our Light were attacking them." I take off my jacket and put it on a force field hanger. "Their civilisation was wrecked. I spent most of my time making sure that they could get food into the cities."

"I thought you were taking a holiday."
Eh... When it comes to being a superhero, there are no days off, mere days that are less... Noisy than others.

"No, I'm just not-" I unbuckle my trousers and lower them enough to step out with my right leg. "-not working for the Corps at the moment. The work never ends." Left leg out, and-. Force field hangers are really great, actually.

"So it's not just the Reach."
Girl, do you not remember what Earth is like most days?

"Hm?"

"It's not just the Reach." She actually sits up in bed, duvet held loosely against her chest. "If we waited until after the Reach were defeated, would you still disappear for days without warning?"
It's one of the big problems some fans have with Superheroes being partners with regular people. If you think jobs like fire-fighters, ambulance crews or police officers have long hours... And never mind the crazier events, like mind-control plots...

"Yes, but not very often."

Undershirt… How does this need cleaning already? My environmental shield should-. Ugh, laundry pile for tomorrow.
Some pieces of clothing just naturally pick up that sort of wear...

"If I'm trouble shooting the whole war I can be called away at any moment. There's literally no fight going on that wouldn't be going better if I was there. Dox doesn't call me in like that because we need to get L.E.G.I.O.N. blooded."

"And because he hates depending on you."
No matter how good OL is at it. But yes, if he's solving every problem, then how are the other Lanterns, ship crews and special forces supposed to get any experience?

"Or looking like he's depending on me. But that's going to change. And Earth has the Justice League."

"So why did they send you?"
Wrong place, right time. Plus OL is a bit of a sticky-beak.

"They didn't. I was just there." I pull down my pants, right leg out then left leg out, and toss it into the laundry pile before sitting down on the edge of the bed to remove my socks. "And it was a Truggs thing."

...That's 'pants' as in 'underwear', in case you're wondering why he doffed his bottom-wear twice. :V Because the same words can mean different things in different places. Hooray for language!

She moves through the bed so that she can lean against my back, arms wrapping around my sides. I lean my head to the left, resting the side of my head against her forehead.
Awww, such a comfy little moment.

"That didn't sound like a 'no'."

Come on, OL, admit it. You're vexed by Truggs because you could have been him: trying to bring rational ideas to an irrational world... Admittedly, he's going about it in as super-villain a way as possible, whereas you... Well, consider the Earth 12 alternate, Peter Wynne's methods.

"I thought they were stupid. But I thought the same thing about people who did the things you do without getting paid, and my nemesis was probably my father."

"Okay, but how much of what you did day to day was about him?"
Probably more than even she thinks it was.

"I joined the Shadows to get away from him."

"Yes, but once you did that. Were you..? Picturing him every time you-?"
...I could see it. The man left his ladies with deep-seated issues.

"No. But I always assumed that I'd kill him eventually."

"Do you want to?"
I mean, it might look a bit strange if you arrange for him to die in prison, but...

"No. He doesn't matter anymore."

Some Reach agent, perhaps? :D Who keeps running into Jade's Darkstar team despite all logical probabilities.

"It's a classic." I twist around so that I can face her. "Truggs and I sometimes end up in the same place because we want to do the same things. Someone like… Jack Napier's just crazy, a Smilex overdose making him experience everything as the best joke he's ever heard. The only way to fix him would involve rewiring his brain. Truggs is just-. So close to doing something useful with his life. You know?"
You almost said 'Joker', didn't you? :p You really are starting to go native, without realising it...

She looks at me askance. "Should I be jealous?"

"Are you jealous of Leonard Snart? Or-."
Bah, Snart's a bit old for him... No, wait, they're pretty close in real ages, aren't they? But Snart's not his type, either.

"The others are all in prison."

"Alright, I'll admit to a greater degree of personal frustration with Truggs than the others, even at their most stubborn." I lean my head closer, so that our noses are almost touching. "But you have absolutely no need to be jealous. Though… There was something Kara said…"
OL, this is not the time to be speaking of another woman. Cuddles are on offer. x3

"Was this when she was exposed to black kryptonite and trying to rape you?"

"Yes. So I'm not-. She wasn't in her right mind, but she did make-. She did say something…"
Oh, right. the whole 'was this the best choice for Jade' thing...

"Are you going to get broken up about what a crazy person said?"

"If they make sense, I.. do need to follow it up."
And Jade's just going... 'Goddammit, I just want to go to sleep and cuddle...'

She pulls back slightly. "Fine. What did she say?"

"So… You… Joined the Darkstars because we were looking for ways for you to productively use your abilities. I didn't-. It didn't occur to me to… Ask if you want to do something else completely."
To be fair, there weren't a lot of options for her particular skill-set. Not legal ones, anyway.

"No."

"Okay, but, so you think it… Might have been advantageous if you did? I mean… Was there any point in your life when you wanted to be something else?"
I really don't see Jade working, say, at the counter of the local Burger Queen. She'd not last even one day before kicking in the teeth of the first shouty Karen to get in her face...

She looks thoughtful, and I avoid looking deeper. I don't want to 'cheat' on whether she's working out how to handle my question or whether she's genuinely trying to answer me.

"I wanted to just… Disappear."
As if you could stand living like normal people? A casual 9 to 5 job, shitty cheap car and Gotham apartment? Slumping on the couch each evening watching inane TV while you browse social media on your phone?

"Disappear?"

"Just… Fade away. Why did you think I called myself 'Cheshire'?"
...That honestly makes too much sense.

"I didn't really think about it." I shrug. "People in our profession pick all sorts of names for themselves."

"I just wanted to be able to appear, and… Say something confusing or pretentious, then disappear again. To just… Do my own thing without being tied down."
Which is probably a good thing for a ninja.

"Huh. I… Hope you don't mind being tied down a little bit?"

She raises her eyebrows. "Is that what you wanted for your birthday?"
Because I'm sure she could dig up some ropes... :cool:

Heh.

"Jade, you're never not appealing, but I'm knackered right now." She chuckles, pressing her forehead against mine. "I meant… With me."
Again, still amazed you're conscious. Ring-powered endurance for the win!

"That's… Fine, but-"

"'Fine'?"

"-we-." She smiles, kissing me lightly on the lips. "Fine. But I am owed leave. If you think you could go that long without working."
I assume she's been putting it off, but sooner or later, she would be pulled from active duty for concerns over psychologial stress. Even regular soldiers get exhausted of deployments... Imagine how much harder it is for special forces operating deep behind enemy lines?

"How long do you have?"

"A month."
...Seriously, how long have you put off using it?

"A month?"

"You wanted to spend more time together."
Okay, OL, I understand you enjoy your job, and get kind of twitchy without the rings for a couple of days, but...

"A month without working?"

She tilts her head to the left.
...Consider the situation: Your beautiful girlfriend is asking you to spend a month with her. Do not mess this up.

"Do you think you can?"

Well, can you? ;)

Do I?

"I honestly don't know, but for you, I'm happy to try."
...As long as you get to keep your rings close, I assume.

So, let's get a pool going: How long until something interrupts his time off and turns it into a busman's holiday? I mean, he's both a war hero, a superhero and Illustres of a Lantern Corps. Any one of those things would make for a busy time. Add in his whole 'protagonist's curse'? No, I don't think he'll be getting much time off at all, no matter how he might want to.

Last edited:
Everyone thinks that Workhorse refers to all the wacky side adventures Jade and Paul will now have to deal with, but the enlightened individuals amongst us know that it refers to a literal work horse, and Paul will be spending the next month with Jade on a farm in the middle of nowhere, having twenty chapters of slice of life adventure, like Beware of Chicken.

Everyone thinks that Workhorse refers to all the wacky side adventures Jade and Paul will now have to deal with, but the enlightened individuals amongst us know that it refers to a literal work horse, and Paul will be spending the next month with Jade on a farm in the middle of nowhere, having twenty chapters of slice of life adventure, like Beware of Chicken.

So now I'm guessing that Paul is somehow going to meet a sapient horse, like the ones from MLP, or he will make a horse sapient and give it a power ring and thus that horse will become a work colleague.

Yes, that's something people might have missed in all the amusement over Grayven's little sort-of prank on Prince Blueblood. OL basically spent his birthday battling a demon-possessed Earth, and wrangling Nazis. Not the fun kind of present...

Depends on the person.

If the person was a zealous Christian that is also a Nazi, then it's the perfect birthday.

Girl, do you not remember what Earth is like most days?

She has been off of it for several months now.

It's one of the big problems some fans have with Superheroes being partners with regular people. If you think jobs like fire-fighters, ambulance crews or police officers have long hours... And never mind the crazier events, like mind-control plots...

Now I'm remembering this story in which Superman gets together with Mystique and she writes a guide on how to date a superhero.

Come on, OL, admit it. You're vexed by Truggs because you could have been him: trying to bring rational ideas to an irrational world... Admittedly, he's going about it in as super-villain a way as possible, whereas you... Well, consider the Earth 12 alternate, Peter Wynne's methods.

When he was in Heaven he basically said that Luthor and Truggs were his dark mirrors.

As in similar to him in actions and motivation, but going about it in a more evil way.

I mean, it might look a bit strange if you arrange for him to die in prison, but...

He did threaten him last time he visited.

Some Reach agent, perhaps? :D Who keeps running into Jade's Darkstar team despite all logical probabilities.

Maybe that guy that tried to kill Paul.

You almost said 'Joker', didn't you? :p You really are starting to go native, without realising it...

No I don't think it was that.

I think he was trying to find the right example of a person and he paused to find the right one.

Bah, Snart's a bit old for him... No, wait, they're pretty close in real ages, aren't they? But Snart's not his type, either.

Sure he is!

He's a supervillain that Paul can fix!

That's basically his type!

To be fair, there weren't a lot of options for her particular skill-set. Not legal ones, anyway.

Well certain military careers may work.

I assume she's been putting it off, but sooner or later, she would be pulled from active duty for concerns over psychologial stress. Even regular soldiers get exhausted of deployments... Imagine how much harder it is for special forces operating deep behind enemy lines?

Though it may be interesting on how they judge a person psychologically fit, seeing as they have multiple species with a range of psychological mindsets.

So, let's get a pool going: How long until something interrupts his time off and turns it into a busman's holiday? I mean, he's both a war hero, a superhero and Illustres of a Lantern Corps. Any one of those things would make for a busy time. Add in his whole 'protagonist's curse'? No, I don't think he'll be getting much time off at all, no matter how he might want to.

I'm honestly hoping that this will b a slice of life.

Am I the only one wondering if this is an episode where we're going to get a series of interludes from characters in the story other than Paul or Jade? Because while I don't think that's likely, I do think that it's an option.

'Constantly-interrupted holiday' seems more likely, but it's also kind of predictable.

Am I the only one wondering if this is an episode where we're going to get a series of interludes from characters in the story other than Paul or Jade? Because while I don't think that's likely, I do think that it's an option.

'Constantly-interrupted holiday' seems more likely, but it's also kind of predictable.
That would be interesting. I'd be happy to see alternate POVs for this chapter, just to see how they see Paul and what he's done.

That would be interesting. I'd be happy to see alternate POVs for this chapter, just to see how they see Paul and what he's done.

So a paragon version of The Other Half episode.

Could be interesting.

So, how did a Green Lantern Ring find Mr Terrific when his mask makes him immune to detection by technology?

So, how did a Green Lantern Ring find Mr Terrific when his mask makes him immune to detection by technology?
Maybe the Guardians are low key monitoring Earth due to it being the current hiding place of the Life Entity, so they saw that it is no longer under demon rule. Also, it's possible that they wanted to make sure that a ring was sent there to make things more stable, and so manually chose who the ring would go to.

Maybe the Guardians are low key monitoring Earth due to it being the current hiding place of the Life Entity, so they saw that it is no longer under demon rule. Also, it's possible that they wanted to make sure that a ring was sent there to make things more stable, and so manually chose who the ring would go to.
He'd be invisible to the Guardians too, though, unless they were using magical scrying spells or something- but I don't think they would, since their dislike of magic is why they made the Stargeart to begin with.

He'd be invisible to the Guardians too, though, unless they were using magical scrying spells or something- but I don't think they would, since their dislike of magic is why they made the Stargeart to begin with.
Would invisibility to machines work if the Guardians used a device to alter space to view something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back