• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

"I will admit, I was unsure that you would be able to restrain yourself. I apologise for misjudging you

You didn't really misjudge him.

But if my some mysterious

'if by some'

"I promise that I will not become crazier than I am now.

That's...not reassuring in any way.

"That's… The least reassuring thing you could possibly have said

True.

Oh Plastic Man, have to say he is handling things surprisingly well considering he is dealing with Paul. But then again he has always hidden some good wisdom behind his foolish persona.
I tend to give Plastic Man a lot of leeway and favoritism. I also like to see him panicking and under pressure. This chapter, where he is showing a particular form of competence (akin to handling radioactive materials) is very satisfying.

I do like Metamorpho's aesthetic more though.

OL is reminding me of Dr. Manhattan more and more.

The immense power is similar, but the detachment is genuine and a result of alienation in Manhattan, while in OL the detachment is a mix of inborn personality and forced affect in response to how he thinks he should go about approaching problems.
It has a different flavor.
What is the skipping Immigration thing about?
It's the checkpoints and scanners OL got them to put on the Watchtower for infiltrator and mind control detection.

Cosmic-Tier Hero: "I have *thing* that needs to get done."

Goodguy League: "Sorry, we've got a whole bunch of other things to get done-"

*Flickers for a second*

Cosmic-Tier Hero: "No you don't."

I suppose that's what happens when Superman wants help with something he thinks is urgent and Batman tries pulling the "Oh I've got a thing in Gotham to do". :V

What is the skipping Immigration thing about?

I think it's Paul popping into the Watchtower without going through, like, the standard procedure, or Zeta beams, or whatever. He popped up in a place other than [designated popping in room].

Probably, at least. /shrug

27th October 2012
07:47 GMT +3

Queen Hippolyta glances my way as I'm granted access to her private receiving room, where Kon and Mitchell are already ensconced.

"I will admit, I was unsure that you would be able to restrain yourself. I apologise for misjudging you."
Eh, you were erring on the side of caution. That's a very good idea when dealing with OL. Still, everyone's calm right now, no-one's angry and he's just planning to overthrow Zeus...

"Think nothing of it. You weren't that far off. Incidentally, would you be willing to become Queen of Olympus?"

"Lord Zeus did not ask me."
Oh, he didn't mean it in that sense. I doubt OL would want you to have to deal with him.

"I wasn't talking about marrying him."

Mitchell doesn't seem to react, though Kon looks a little perturbed.
Yeah, Mitchell wasn't around for the Fate thing, was he? It's been so long...

"I…" Queen Hippolyta makes brief eye contact with Menalippe, who does her best not to react either. "I know that as a demigoddess myself I could undergo apotheosis more easily than a mortal. I know that Diana is perfectly capable of taking my place as Queen of Themyscira. But I have no desire to disrupt the divine order, or put myself above the king of the gods."

"But if my some mysterious happenstance there was an opening..?"
Though it would result in the odd situation of her ruling over her own father, amongst the other gods...

Hippolyta swallows, eyes not quite focusing on me. "I don't know. I have never seriously considered the possibility. Do I need to?"

"I don't know yet. This is just the 'sounding out' phase."
To be fair, the Olympians seem to be able to handle themselves as is. I doubt you'll need to do more than smack some sense into Ares and maybe Apollo.

"Paul…" Kon gives me a concerned look. "We're finding things out for the League. I know you're angry, but we really shouldn't do anything without talking to Batman and Doctor Mist first."

I nod. "I agree."
...Oooh, you don't mean that in any good way, do you?

"Yeah, but… You're treating this like the thing with Zatara. I'm pretty sure that you were already assuming that the League weren't gunna do anything."

"No, I trusted that they would. I just wasn't sure how quickly they were going to be moving on this."
To be fair, in most other circumstances, with of their own being more or less sent to her hell, they might bump a rescue up the priority ranks.

He doesn't look entirely convinced. "You sure?"

"Alright, there's a-. I'm sure the League got the message last time and they wouldn't let this lie, but I got used to them not doing anything so I'm inclined to act like they're doing nothing until I actually hear something from them."
Or, and this may sound crazy, you could ask them what they plan to do? Radical, I know, but...

"Maybe you should go talk to him."

I go to nod, then look suspiciously at him and Queen Hippolyta. Orange Lantern handling stage 2. But… Yes. Okay. He's still right, and it might help get me out of this mindset if I do speak to Mr. Wayne.
As long as the urgency of the situation remains forefront in your mind, instead of your anger.

"Yes, I think you're right. Excuse me."

I get a nod from Hippolyta as Donna walks over to take a seat with the three of them. Then
Odds they're going to be worriedly discussing what he might do? High.

I vanish from their site and

appear on the Watchtower.
Knock knock, anyone home? :p

27th October 2012
04:49 GMT

Mr. O'Brien's eyes bulge out of his face, then he ducks down and morphs his body into the shape of a television, his face pushing 'through' the screen.
Wow, things are that slow they've got him on monitor duty?

"Heeee's he-."

"Kid Flash already did that joke."
Well, just stomp all over his fun, then... :rolleyes:

A hand extrudes from the side of the screen and scratches the top of his head.

"Okay, well, what else is there?" He morphs into… Darth Batman? "The Lantern is not so forgiving as I am."
Now there's an Elseworlds or crossover for you. I shudder to imagine what an alternate Paul in the Star Wars universe could do to the plot.

"Did you know he never realised Leia was his daughter?"

"Huh?" Mr. O'Brien snaps back into his default shape. "Sure he did. Right at the end, he says 'Tell your sister, you were right'."
Ah, but OL's already had this discussion...

"Yes, because he knows that Luke has a sister. But he never specifically identifies her by name."

He thinks for a moment, then his jaw bungee drops down to the deck.
Well, that just makes the ending a little more tragic. Though I can't think he'd feel any better knowing he spent years trying to kill, and at one point 'interrogated', his own daughter...

"Is Batman here?"

"Ah, yeah, but…" He takes a deep breath. "Okay, promise you're not going to go crazy?"
Oh, you're one to talk about 'crazy', rubber-boy.

"I promise that I will not become crazier than I am now."

"That's… The least reassuring thing you could possibly have said, but okay! See… What Zeus did is wrong, and we're obviously going to get-" I nod. "Dianaback-."
Well, good to hear it said.

"But she's not in immediate danger, so the League doesn't need to get on top of this immediately. There are plenty of more urgent and important things going on in the world and that's why you passed it onto the team in the first place."

"You're being a whole lot more reasonable about this than I thought you'd be." He narrows his eyes. "And you skipped immigration."
The Watchtower could probably use better mystical defences. Though it's kind of hard to resist Greediporting anyway.

"If I was an attacker, it would be too late. So what problems do the League have that prevent them from prioritising Zeus?"

"Some guy in Brazil started up Venom production-"
Yeah, that's all of a five-minute job for a smart Lantern...

Wouldn't be in Euanthe's areas, which leaves the coast. Probably no magic defence, because the Accala shamen would show an interest in that. Mr. Dorrance Junior may be dead but there were plenty of people who worked for him at some stage who might still be around…

Coast. Look for increased number of venom users, any familiar faces… Users there, but the production-.
...One minute job, maybe?

I step out, reappearing

in a factory, constructs snatching guns and knives and chaining up and stunning their owners. Two guards have already injected, but that doesn't make them construct proof. Once the place is recumbent I
Wasting no time at all, I see.

return

to the Watchtower and upload the coordinates to the League's computer.
And Batman's probably grousing about ruining his plans for Saturday night.

"-but Batman-. Uh. You just went there, didn't you?"

"Yes."
No time wasted here, thank you.

"Okay, we'll cross that off the list. I'm guessing you're gunna keep doing that until Wonder Woman's at the top of the list, ain't cha?"

"Yes."
Now, I'm sure a few of the Leaguers might be frustrated, but at least the world will be a little safer.

"So I need to call Batman right now in case he wants some of these to not get solved."

"That might be an idea, thank you. Tell him that if he's in Brazil I can help with the pick up."
How polite of him.

"Okay. So, stand there, don't move, and I'll get a hold of him as fast as I can."

"Thank you."
Only problem is, he can still do a hell of a lot without moving. Lantern, remember, Eel?

This is going to be one of those days that the League is going to remember, isn't it. Wonder what they'll make of the information OL's already gathered thus far? At any rate, given how OL reacted last time this sort of thing happened, I see them walking on eggshells here. Batman's probably already trying to think of the best way to handle this...

"Okay. So, stand there, don't move, and I'll get a hold of him as fast as I can."
So pretty much everyone now treats Paragon as the crazy man with a bomb...

That's certainly reassuring.

Of course, that does beg the question of whether they are getting ready to do the smart thing and disarm the crazy man.

I must say, the League has certainly stepped up a bit, having gotten to the point where they fully expect that Paul is quite willing to rearrange Heaven and Earth to his liking to make sure NO ONE messes with his friends.

DIANA: So, after politely declining Lord Zeus' offer of matrimony, I have been assigned to Tartarus to check up on the Titans.

SUPERMAN: .....Paul will try to kill Zeus for this, won't he? Just like Nabu.

DIANA: In all likelihood, yes. I would appreciate it if you manage to come up with an alternative, less cataclysmic solution for him to pursue by the time he returns to Earth....QUICKLY.

Last edited:
Wait did Batman make himself scryproof or something? why can't paul go directly to him?

So pretty much everyone now treats Paragon as the crazy man with a bomb...

That's certainly reassuring.

Of course, that does beg the question of whether they are getting ready to do the smart thing and disarm the crazy man.
Replying to Vaermina, Can they reliably do that though? I mean he called his ring from wherever Truggs was to mount justice and caused a bunch of rings to fly out of Larfleezes cave in the vega from Earth.

Replying to Vaermina, Can they reliably do that though? I mean he called his ring from wherever Truggs was to mount justice and caused a bunch of rings to fly out of Larfleezes cave in the vega from Earth.
If they wanted to? Yes.

There are dozens of ways to take Paragon out of the game, from divine level binding magics that make him unable to ever use a power ring, to calling in Alan to shut him down with blue light then locking him up in a science cell on Oa till he completely detoxes.

Wait did Batman make himself scryproof or something? why can't paul go directly to him?

The only guys with the equipment to contain Paul without killing him are the Guardians and the controllers, at least as far as we know.

Killing him is kinda easier, but Paul is functionally immortal and survived a weapon that rends souls, so he will come back from that if you don't contain him afterwards in a Pokeball of some sort and Paul got out of the standard tier Pokeball the Host of Heaven used, so you need a special Pokeball made for entities like him.

In short Zeus can probably kill Paul and trap his soul in a special Pokeball in Tartarus, but in that same measure Paul can certainly kill Zeus if he goes all out as well and is researching his own Pokeball to use against moderately powerful God's.

Queen Hippolyta glances my way as I'm granted access to her private receiving room, where Kon and Mitchell are already ensconced.

"I will admit, I was unsure that you would be able to restrain yourself. I apologise for misjudging you."

"Think nothing of it. You weren't that far off. Incidentally, would you be willing to become Queen of Olympus?"

"Lord Zeus did not ask me."

"I wasn't talking about marrying him."

Mitchell doesn't seem to react, though Kon looks a little perturbed.

"I…" Queen Hippolyta makes brief eye contact with Menalippe, who does her best not to react either. "I know that as a demigoddess myself I could undergo apotheosis more easily than a mortal. I know that Diana is perfectly capable of taking my place as Queen of Themyscira. But I have no desire to disrupt the divine order, or put myself above the king of the gods."

"But if my some mysterious happenstance there was an opening..?"

Hippolyta swallows, eyes not quite focusing on me. "I don't know. I have never seriously considered the possibility. Do I need to?"

"I don't know yet. This is just the 'sounding out' phase."
Are the Amazons that still dislike OL, who I assume are in the minority by now, aware of just how powerful he is? I mean, he's literally implying that he's planning of capping Zeus. Also, would this be a good thing in Ares' eyes? I want to see him and Paul interact, if only so that Paul can offhandedly mention the fact that he is Hippolyta's father. On that note, Hippolyta just said out loud that she is a demigod. Is that common knowledge among the Amazons, with only the fact that she's Ares' daughter being a secret?

"Some guy in Brazil started up Venom production-"

Wouldn't be in Euanthe's areas, which leaves the coast. Probably no magic defence, because the Accala shamen would show an interest in that. Mr. Dorrance Junior may be dead but there were plenty of people who worked for him at some stage who might still be around…

Coast. Look for increased number of venom users, any familiar faces… Users there, but the production-.

I step out, reappearing

in a factory, constructs snatching guns and knives and chaining up and stunning their owners. Two guards have already injected, but that doesn't make them construct proof. Once the place is recumbent I

return

to the Watchtower and upload the coordinates to the League's computer.

"-but Batman-. Uh. You just went there, didn't you?"

"Yes."

"Okay, we'll cross that off the list. I'm guessing you're gunna keep doing that until Wonder Woman's at the top of the list, ain't cha?"

"Yes."

"So I need to call Batman right now in case he wants some of these to not get solved."

"That might be an idea, thank you. Tell him that if he's in Brazil I can help with the pick up."
I thought Brazil was renamed Accalacan now? Is this a mistake?

The only guys with the equipment to contain Paul without killing him are the Guardians and the controllers, at least as far as we know.
Oh no, not at all. It's far easier than that. Jervis Tetch could do it fairly casually, with the help of a random assistant that Paul wouldn't recognize the face of.
"Excuse me, sir! Tell me, would you mind wearing this hat for a moment? Is it comfortable?"
"It's not bad, but I don't really want it."
"Well, do you want to take it off?"
"Not particularly, no."
"Good to hear! Is there anything you want right now?"
"No, not really. I'm good."
"I was hoping to hear that. That's a nice ring you have there."
"It really is. It's been pretty fun."
"You don't mind if I borrow it for a bit?"
"I don't really feel like stopping you, so..."
"Thank you. Mister Batman? The hat's working. I'm done in here."

Last edited:
Are the Amazons that still dislike OL, who I assume are in the minority by now, aware of just how powerful he is? I mean, he's literally implying that he's planning of capping Zeus. Also, would this be a good thing in Ares' eyes? I want to see him and Paul interact, if only so that Paul can offhandedly mention the fact that he is Hippolyta's father. On that note, Hippolyta just said out loud that she is a demigod. Is that common knowledge among the Amazons, with only the fact that she's Ares' daughter being a secret?
Common knowledge. But plenty of Greek notables were related to the gods.
I thought Brazil was renamed Accalacan now? Is this a mistake?
He's technically wrong, but most other nations haven't officially recognised Accalacan yet and he doesn't know if it's in the bit that's still Brazil or not.

Or, you know, anyone with magic that can completely shut down power rings, like that one place in England was able to.

You could also just dump him in a reality or pocket dimension where Power Rings just don't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back