• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

If they wanted to? Yes.

There are dozens of ways to take Paragon out of the game, from divine level binding magics that make him unable to ever use a power ring, to calling in Alan to shut him down with blue light then locking him up in a science cell on Oa till he completely detoxes.
Ok but they weren't willing to do that to Nabu I doubt they would be willing to do that to Paul.

I don't think you can detox from enlightenment and the OLC might make an objection.

Ok but they weren't willing to do that to Nabu I doubt they would be willing to do that to Paul.

I don't think you can detox from enlightenment and the OLC might make an objection.
Nabu wasn't attempting to arrange the death of someone over a minor slight to one of his friends...

And Virgil Dox would be happy to be rid of Paragon given Paragon has spent the last year causing a constant string of diplomatic incidents that Dox then has to clean up.

What about her being a daughter of Ares? Is Diana the only one in the dark about that?

I think that she knows about Ares

I don't think you can detox from enlightenment

You can get rid if it.

When Paul was hit by that Qwa Matter, he lost his enlightenment.

the OLC might make an objection.

True, though they may view the benefits of him being gone.

The negatives are bigger, but I wouldn't be surprised if they considered getting rid of him.

I wonder if some of the Justice League are looking at their Green Lanterns (and Blue Lantern) differently since Paul started showing how OP he is. I mean, he took it pretty far, but they aren't all too far behind him, and at least theoretically could pull off a lot of what he has. Clearly Batman has made plans for this, but I suspect that he's not the only one thinking about it, even if the others are probably less paranoid.

I think that she knows about Ares
When she learned about it from her aunt in the Renegade timeline, she was stunned and almost couldn't believe it. Then she remembered her mother's lessons about knowing when to sheathe your weapons, and realized why Hippolyta was so adamant that Diana learn it.

The only guys with the equipment to contain Paul without killing him are the Guardians and the controllers, at least as far as we know.

Killing him is kinda easier, but Paul is functionally immortal and survived a weapon that rends souls, so he will come back from that if you don't contain him afterwards in a Pokeball of some sort and Paul got out of the standard tier Pokeball the Host of Heaven used, so you need a special Pokeball made for entities like him.

In short Zeus can probably kill Paul and trap his soul in a special Pokeball in Tartarus, but in that same measure Paul can certainly kill Zeus if he goes all out as well and is researching his own Pokeball to use against moderately powerful God's.
There is also the issue that trying to depower OL to avoid a confrontation with Zeus, is that Zeus isn't that great a guy. At all. Who doesn't do much great stuff, and in fact does a lot of crappy stuff.

If you are deciding to take one of the guys down, and are gunning for OL (who is reacting to the thing) instead of Zeus (who is doing the thing that needed reacting to)...well that's just Vaermina levels of dumb, even leaving aside how it removes an ally from the field at best, and could add an enemy to the field if you fail.

"Did you know he never realised Leia was his daughter?"

"Huh?" Mr. O'Brien snaps back into his default shape. "Sure he did. Right at the end, he says 'Tell your sister, you were right'."

"Yes, because he knows that Luke has a sister. But he never specifically identifies her by name."
I'm glad this joke is recurring!

"Some guy in Brazil started up Venom production-"

Wouldn't be in Euanthe's areas, which leaves the coast. Probably no magic defence, because the Accala shamen would show an interest in that. Mr. Dorrance Junior may be dead but there were plenty of people who worked for him at some stage who might still be around…
With all the unusual plant life in Brazil are drugs easier or harder to make? Also do the Accala/Euthane not care about crime in their country are they not the ones enforcing the laws?

Nabu wasn't attempting to arrange the death of someone over a minor slight to one of his friends...

And Virgil Dox would be happy to be rid of Paragon given Paragon has spent the last year causing a constant string of diplomatic incidents that Dox then has to clean up.
How is "making their one living parent abandon them, by mind enslaving said one parent, and the league ignoring the now orphan in the room for a year" a minor slight?

Did He? do you remember what the chapter was called I'll have to look into how he got it back.

Personally, I thought it just killed him.
Here's the relevant bit

"Are you you yet?"

I don't change my posture, but shake my head as Hinon floats into my field of view.

"I don't know. No. No, I'm not. I've got… I've somehow recovered most of my memories… I think. At least enough of them to make sense of things… But I don't know what I've lost, and the… The self-awareness I had…"

I shake my head.

"I suppose it can't be self-awareness if those bits literally aren't part of my self any longer."

I wonder if the Muse Paul rescued from that horrid fate will ever offer to bless the writers for his video game company. Assuming she doesn't try to become something else entirely, in hopes of ridding herself of her divine inspiration ability.

I thought of her when considering associates Paul might reach out to. A more fitting way for her to return to the story would be to set up something like Melinoe's nightmare service. The Muse's clients would be "angry scientists" who, at the urging of Paul or their associates, want happier or more gentle innovations. Not a weapon. Something positive which still excites them and challenges them.

Did He? do you remember what the chapter was called I'll have to look into how he got it back.

Personally, I thought it just killed him.

His soul was rended into pieces and the bits and pieces that melded into the clone his student made weren't enough to get all back, he had to hunt down the rest of him to get enlightening back.

I think most of his soul went to the Honden of Avarice hence why the parts left drifting in space were not enough to get the clone back in shape.

Paul got spooked because he was working under the assumption his soul would go to Hades and the Greek after life, but since he died in space he was out of service range and thus the only after life for him was in the Honden.

This is what I mean by saying killing him is easier, but requires a Pokeball to actually stop him from coming back. This already happened when he got killed by the Host of Heaven, but he managed to escape the Pokeball the angels used because his soul was extremely atypical.

I really like how this arc is showing the bad side of a sane orange light aligned lantern. While Green Lanterns are stubborn, OL wants what he wants and you better get on his want train or get pushed aside. It kinda screwed up that everyone is tip toeing around him like a battered wife, for good reason but messed up.

I love that the end of the update was basically

Plastic Man: *nervous question*
Orange Lantern: "Yes."
Plastic Man: *nervous question*
Orange Lantern: "Yes."
Plastic Man: *nervous suggestion*
Orange Lantern: "Thank you."
Plastic Man: *nervous suggestion*
Orange Lantern: "Thank you."

"Think nothing of it. You weren't that far off. Incidentally, would you be willing to become Queen of Olympus?"
She would make a far better candidate but seeing as it's Zeus who is not anything close to the Disney version it's really not a competition.

"I…" Queen Hippolyta makes brief eye contact with Menalippe, who does her best not to react either. "I know that as a demigoddess myself I could undergo apotheosis more easily than a mortal. I know that Diana is perfectly capable of taking my place as Queen of Themyscira. But I have no desire to disrupt the divine order, or put myself above the king of the gods."

"But if by some mysterious happenstance there was an opening..?"

Hippolyta swallows, eyes not quite focusing on me. "I don't know. I have never seriously considered the possibility. Do I need to?"

"I don't know yet. This is just the 'sounding out' phase."
What would she be the goddess of? And while relieved that Zeus will no longer be able to cause her trouble, I'm sure that Diana will be less than pleased with having to rule the island though Aquaman could give her pointers.

"Yeah, but… You're treating this like the thing with Zatara. I'm pretty sure that you were already assuming that the League weren't gunna do anything."
Here we go again.

"No, I trusted that they would. I just wasn't sure how quickly they were going to be moving on this."
That's an improvement.

"Alright, there's a-. I'm sure the League got the message last time and they wouldn't let this lie, but I got used to them not doing anything so I'm inclined to act like they're doing nothing until I actually hear something from them."
Yes, I'm sure the League got the message last time. No that is not sarcasm.

"Maybe you should go talk to him."
Communication is very important.

"Okay, well, what else is there?" He morphs into… Darth Batman? "The Lantern is not so forgiving as I am."

"Did you know he never realised Leia was his daughter?"

"Huh?" Mr. O'Brien snaps back into his default shape. "Sure he did. Right at the end, he says 'Tell your sister, you were right'."

"Yes, because he knows that Luke has a sister. But he never specifically identifies her by name."

He thinks for a moment, then his jaw bungee drops down to the deck.
That... I never noticed that. O'Brien's reactions are very funny. And I find quite the pity that you are not planning to make an alternate Paul for Star Wars, but there are some youtube videos that cover a lot of Legends materials that could help jog your memory or at least give you an idea if your willing to try.

"That's… The least reassuring thing you could possibly have said, but okay! See… What Zeus did is wrong, and we're obviously going to get-" I nod. "Diana back-."
That is a hilarious yet accurate statement of how "reassuring" Paul can be when he's on the warpath.

So what problems do the League have that prevent them from prioritising Zeus?"
It doesn't take an oracle to see that those problems will be disappearing very soon

to the Watchtower and upload the coordinates to the League's computer.

"-but Batman-. Uh. You just went there, didn't you?"

"Yes."

"Okay, we'll cross that off the list. I'm guessing you're gunna keep doing that until Wonder Woman's at the top of the list, ain't cha?"

"Yes."

"So I need to call Batman right now in case he wants some of these to not get solved."

"That might be an idea, thank you. Tell him that if he's in Brazil I can help with the pick up."

"Okay. So, stand there, don't move, and I'll get a hold of him as fast as I can."

"Thank you."
Paul is being hilariously efficient about this

Is there any chance at all that Zeus isn't just doing this to be a dick?
Possibly, but everyone he has talked to, including Diana who head the order first hand, and Hades who knows the man, assumes the reason is dickishness. If it was just to have an outside eye double check the bindings, having OL come along to assist Diana in the job wouldn't be a problem. Two eyes looking over everything would have made it less likely something would be missed, as well as felicitating travel between the areas she needs to pay more attention to past the stuff she doesn't.

Also, I assume if it was serious, there would have been more preparation before sending her in.
"This is how you navigate effectively in the land of supernatural sightlessness," or "here is a magical Dragonball Z Scouter to see in the darkness and find magical leakage," and so on she didn't seem to get.

To be fair, i'm pretty sure the vast majority of people, even fantasy buffs, have not read the Silmarillion, let alone in it's entirety, because as far as I recall hearing, it was designed to be as uninteresting and hard to read as possible.
It wasn't designed to be that, it was just unfinished and written as legends rather than as a story. Christopher Tolkien didn't want to write it to be a story.

Possibly, but everyone he has talked to, including Diana who heads the order first hand, and Hades who knows the man, assumes the reason is dickishness. If it was just to have an outside eye double-check the bindings, having OL come along to assist Diana in the job wouldn't be a problem. Two eyes looking over everything would have made it less likely something would be missed, as well as felicitating travel between the areas she needs to pay more attention to past the stuff she doesn't.

Also, I assume if it was serious, there would have been more preparation before sending her in.
"This is how you navigate effectively in the land of supernatural sightlessness," or "here is a magical Dragonball Z Scouter to see in the darkness and find magical leakage," and so on she didn't seem to get.
There is also the possibility that after proposing to Diana he got visions of the titans escaping due to Paul's actions and therefore sent Diana to check the bindings without the Paul who he might think is planning/going to be responsible for releasing the titans.

What would she be the goddess of?

An aspect of war most likely.

"This is how you navigate effectively in the land of supernatural sightlessness," or "here is a magical Dragonball Z Scouter to see in the darkness and find magical leakage," and so on she didn't seem to get

She did gave that hand thing.

And even if it was serious, Zeus may just be crappy at preparation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back