• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

I kind of want to lament the MC having the most bland, unexciting and unemotional (coloured text doesn't qualify by itself) of all romance options, but then I remember that Cheshire used to be the exotic choice way back as well, so anyone else would've probably ended up normalized like that, too XD

29th October 2012
23:59 GMT -3

Orange light shines out across the subterranean cavern, the various highly toxic alchemical substances that leaked down here from the Sheeda ship being unmade.

Dr. Isley shudders in relief. "Thank you. You have no idea what it felt like to have something that unnatural under my skin."
Huh. So, she's bonded herself to the local plant-life? Not unsurprising, it probably makes it easier to work through the Green that way. But still, isn't that the kind of backsliding OL should be worried about?

"Under your skin?"

She holds up her left arm and point at a slightly discoloured patch of skin. As I watch, the darker green gradually retreats until it's gone entirely.
...So, how much of her body has equivalence to the local area? Are there parts that are more... Sensitive than others? :oops:

"Are you..? Alright?"

"I finally have the connection to plant life that I used to think I had. Their strength is my strength and their pain is my pain." She shrugs. "It has its down sides, but I… I like it. I like being part of something bigger than myself, even if that's literal."
And no feelings of... Misanthropy? No concerning desires to kill human beings? Because that would be kind of bad.

"As long as you're happy." I nod and smile. "And not murdering people, then it's all good."

"No, that's not something I do any more." She does a quiet laugh-snort. "I spend more time trying to keep people alive. With all the farmland Euanthe reforested, farming… Farming stopped. That wasn't a problem for the Accala or the other forest tribes, but the people who are still living in the cities were in danger of starving."
Sadly, such is the way of developed civilisations. Basically' three meals from chaos' and all that.

"Cities need to be fed by large areas of countryside in order to function. Did you persuade Euanthe to spare subsistence farms?"

"No, but I gave the fruit-bearing plants around them a boost and created some new super fruits." She shakes her head. "Hugo sent some missionaries, but the people still there aren't interested in learning."
...They'd rather have the old ways of tear chunks of forest out, plant hard and fast, then move on when the land gives up the ghost? Idiots.

"Learning..? To live in the forest?"

"We're not ordering everyone to live in caves. The Accala have homes. But high-density settlements don't have a place in the civilization we're building. They're not good for the land or for humans."
And the city folk are probably still thinking of their cushy cement-box homes and power-hungry appliances, aren't they? :rolleyes:

"Um…"

"We're trying to show people a better way to live. You've seen alien civilizations; you can't tell me that every species destroys their natural habitat to industrialise."
The trick, though, is learning to care about the environment before you break it beyond repair. More than a few advanced civilisations out there in DC space probably didn't.

"You'd like Alstair and O. The Dominion use some plant-based technology, but… Yes. The path that the human species has taken is… Fairly typical. Magic-based civilisation are usually less antagonistic, but there aren't all that many of those. And then you've got the problem of civilisation which don't have the fuel to fully industrialise…"

"Could I visit those worlds? If I could see what they're doing differently, it could end up helping everyone."
I don't know... Can you bear to be separated from Earth's Green for that long? Can you even manage to connect to another planet's Green equivalent? Even Swamp Thing had trouble with that, and he's the Avatar of the Green.

"I think it would be better if I invited someone from there, here. I don't think having the person who's job it is to explain humans to Euanthe should wonder too far away."

We turn away from the purified pool, plant roots already poking through the earth around us to drink from it. I put an environmental shield around both of us and up we go.
And it probably helps to have her where the suspicious folks can see her, instead of disappearing off-world for god knows how long.

"You could do that."

"I've got a lot on." She smirks. "What?"
Remember, find John Constantine! Keep that in mind, OL. Focus!

"I have been teaching Euanthe how to be more human. Did you know that she can shift herself into a more humanlike shape?"

We land back on the surface, and I withdraw my environmental shield. It's only a short walk back to the temple-palace, and with that problem dealt with I hope that Euanthe will be in a convivial mood.
As long as she won't give someone splinters in sensitive places, it's all good. :p

"She's fairly human-looking now."

She rolls her eyes. "Do you need me to spell it out?"
Probably a good idea. Because, somehow, OL's denseness has avoided becoming in-universe legend.

"Yes. And if people did that more often they'd find their interactions with me much more productive."

"She told me that she wanted your 'meat'."
And this is why I asked about splinters.

"She told me that she thought that was a way of thanking me for rescuing her."

"Plants don't have sex. Plant reproductive systems-."
Let's just say his wood wouldn't be going into her honeypot, at least in the sense you're thinking. Though... With the right texture of leaves and suitably lubricating oils... x3

"Dad was a biology teacher. I know how plant reproduction works."

"She looks like she does because she's -spiritually- humanlike. The reason she could even think about 'meating' you is because when she's more human she has human desires."
Which must leave her with rather confused urges sometimes.

I frown. "I-."

"She's into you. I'm trying to set you up with her, is what I'm saying."
See, that's the level of clear intent you need to work with OL. Finally, someone lays it straight.

"And I'm saying that while I appreciate your consideration and directness, I'm perfectly happy in my present relationship."

Dr. Isley's eyes widen a little. "Oh, I-. Didn't know."
And I don't think Jade would be up for the sort of deal Constantine made with Swamp Thing and Abby Arcane... Not that it could work that way, anyway.

"No reason why you would. Honestly, I've been assuming that the two of you were together."

"Why?"
Because Comics Ivy has a long history of Misandry and... how to phrase this... Homonormative relationships. Or at least, the writers keep pushing her that way...

"Your obvious reverence for her and your victim profile."

She frowns. "You thought I killed men because I was gay?"
...Because Lesbians in comics are easy mode for representation. :rolleyes:

"Not because, but if I had to guess you orientation based on how good your relationships with-."

"No, no, I mostly killed men because they were the leading polluters and industrialists, and because it was easy because I could control their minds. I… When I was Poison Ivy, I found the idea of any sort of physical intimacy with any… Meat, revolting. Any flirting was just… Contempt for their… Meat-ness."
And since someone is already complaining: Alternate universe, Alternate Character Interpretation. Not every version of Ivy likes the ladies that way.

"Ah. I apologise for my presumption. Are you..? How are you doing now?"

"I'm not seeing anyone. I know I… Could, but-. I killed a lot of people as Poison Ivy. I don't… Back.. how I was then, I wouldn't have hurt Euanthe."
But some guys still do get your dander up. Jason 'Floronic Man' Woodrue, for instance.

I nod. "She's safe for you do be around, but you're not sure who else would be. You're scared of relapsing."

"Swamp Thing fixed my brain, but behaviors are habit-forming. I think it's… Best, if I limit how close I get to people."
...So maybe not the best choice as a high priestess, who would have to be around people.

"Thank you for trusting me enough to exempt me."

"Please. You're no more at risk than Euanthe."
This is true. Power Rings Are Awesome.

"Are you sure? I know that I've got plant matter in my body, and Euanthe banned me from directly controlling them."

"You can control-?"
...Not control, per se, but... Encourage certain behaviours in the micro-flora. Remember him taking Guy Kilowog down with a gutache?

The root-covered street in front of my blisters and writhes, existing ground cover shoved aside as a… Seed pod emerges from the ground, turning from near-white to mid-green to brown as it swells to two metres in height.

"I didn't think Euanthe-?"
She wouldn't need a display like this. She'd just flow and melt out of the wood.

Bramble armour slides into place over Dr. Isley's body.

"It's not her."
Oh, that's a nice trick.

The seed pod cracks and splits, husk falling away and shrivelling up to reveal a cream coloured manikin-like feminine humanoid. For a moment it looks like it's about to collapse, then it steadies itself and looks directly at me.

"Hello?"

"Orange Lantern. I am Persephone, Queen of Erebos, and I wish to petition Hephaestaean for a divorce."
Huh. I suppose she hasn't been out in a few thousand years (Olympus doesn't count,) so she's a little out of practice at making avatars?

Well, everyone saw that decision coming. But why come to OL instead of Hephaestaean? Well, OL has more or less been acting as his secretary-slash-seneschal-slash-Herald. She likely expects the big 'borg would be more inclined to hear the request if it's passed on by OL. And to be fair, Hepaestaean probably has no stake in the matter beyond keeping his Pantheon stable. OL can at least advise her about options regarding Hades.

Last edited:
I dn't think John's Snychronicity magic was ever tested against a sanish Orange Lantern.

He's fixing problems in a rate thst will make the spell overheat at this point.

And it will become a problem if the magic starts creating problems to have something to throw at Paul.

What is her new role going to be, once she gets divorced? Her Underworld associations are actually stronger than her "goddess of spring" associations, so that'll be... interesting. She seems perfectly poised to act in some role that straddles the line of "living plants" and "dead plants". If you don't consider the awkwardness of dealing with her ex-husband, that is.

Maybe something like a goddess of ecosystems, plant fertilization, and the life cycle? Like, a fertility/birth goddess but focused on plants, since for plants, there's a much more tangible association between death and new birth, with the fertilizer for the new generation being made from the corpses of the old.

The live-death-life pattern of "plants → food for animal → animal carcass/manure → fertilizer → plants" is perfectly within her wheelhouse (greenhouse?) as a goddess with strong ties to both the Underworld and to the Green.

She may just go back to being a goddess of spring.

Also for real girl, you've had literally thousands of years with a loving husband who's completely devoted to you, you couldn't Cat Stark it and learn to love him? Smh.

Her relationship with Hades started when he showed up, told her that they were married and intimidated her, albeit unintentionally, and then he had sex with her where consent was extremely questionable, and even when he figured out that she didn't know about the arrangement he made with Zeus, he still chose to keep her instead of letting her go.

Their relationship was built on incredibly unsteady and unstable grounds.

It doesn't matter how much of a loving and devoted husband Hades is; what happened was wrong in a number of ways that a healthy romantic relationship between the two of them may never be a possibility and Persephone isn't required to make it work.

Well this is basically the only negative thing from Hades's point of view that's come from his interactions with Paragon, though admittedly it's a big one. If Aphrodite (and I guess Hera) did their jobs properly, which Hephaestaean might be able to enforce, I feel like they could help smoothen things over and find him someone else. I kind of always thought Hades and Hel would be nice together, though maybe that would be seen as poaching too many Norse-related deities.

Given the Japanese gods are kind of appearing more, Izanami might be available and not a bad political choice either, though admittedly she looks like a corpse and despite Hades's purview, it might not follow that he wouldn't have the instinctive revulsion. If Hephaestaean could help Akhlys though, maybe some cybernetics could be a wedding gift for her.

Now if Hades is as bisexual as typical Classical gods, that could open up some other options too (all this assuming he wouldn't just want to be single, I guess).

I hope Poison Ivy and Harley get together, they're kind of iconic as a couple for a reason, and I think it would be mutually productive- though I forget if the former used to be her patient or not, not that that's stopped other iterations of the characters if so.

That should say 'me'.
'points'
'civilisations'
'wander'
Thank you, corrected.
Tell that to the dense populations that used to live in the Amazon prior to the introduction of small pox and other European diseases. I'm surprised that Euanthe doesn't support traditional amazonian style farming practices, the kind that enriched the earth and created terra preta(turning some of the world's worst soil into some of the best) over the modern slash and burn style.
Why would Euanthe know anything about those?
Huh. I suppose she hasn't been out in a few thousand years (Olympus doesn't count,) so she's a little out of practice at making avatars?
No, it's a telepresence system so that she doesn't violate the 'half the year in Erebos' agreement.

I don't know... Can you bear to be separated from Earth's Green for that long? Can you even manage to connect to another planet's Green equivalent? Even Swamp Thing had trouble with that, and he's the Avatar of the Green

Given Swamp Thing's closer relationship, it makes sense he'd have trouble, but maybe a relatively ordinary human wouldn't.

Probably a good idea. Because, somehow, OL's denseness has avoided becoming in-universe legend.

That snd the cake thing.

And I don't think Jade would be up for the sort of deal Constantine made with Swamp Thing and Abby Arcane... Not that it could work that way, anyway.

We'll never know.

Because Lesbians in comics are easy mode for representation. :rolleyes:

Yep, but gay men are less so.

And since someone is already complaining: Alternate universe, Alternate Character Interpretation. Not every version of Ivy likes the ladies that way.

And in some comics her relationship with Harley seems to be more like a close friendship.

But some guys still do get your dander up. Jason 'Floronic Man' Woodrue, for instance.

Zoat did mention that most of her hatred was now directed at him.

Well, everyone saw that decision coming. But why come to OL instead of Hephaestaean? Well, OL has more or less been acting as his secretary-slash-seneschal-slash-Herald. She likely expects the big 'borg would be more inclined to hear the request if it's passed on by OL. And to be fair, Hepaestaean probably has no stake in the matter beyond keeping his Pantheon stable. OL can at least advise her about options regarding Hades

She may not be very close to Heph so she may not know how he'll react, especially after his transformation, but Paul is very close and knows Heph so he may be able to relay the message to Heph or tell her if it's even possible.

If she can convince Paul then Paul could convince Heph, who may not be inclined to do it if he thinks it will displease the guy that runs the afterlife, or because Heph may have issues with what's essentially someone asking for a divorce from a guy that's fairly good to their spouse.

It might remind him too much of Aphrodite.

Her relationship with Hades started when he showed up, told her that they were married and intimidated her, albeit unintentionally, and then he had sex with her where consent was extremely questionable, and even when he figured out that she didn't know about the arrangement he made with Zeus, he still chose to keep her instead of letting her go

He'd have needed Zeus's permission to divorce her.

You know, the guy who arranged for the whole kidnap and rape thing in the first place for a chuckle as far as anyone can tell.

So if Hades didn't try because he's keeping to some faint hope she'll change her mind, that would be an asshole move I totally agree, if however he didn't try because he knew Zeus would have never agreed, that's a horse of a different color.

With the way Zoat has been writing Hades in this story, I bet it's more the latter than the former.

He'd have needed Zeus's permission to divorce her.

You know, the guy who arranged for the whole kidnap and rape thing in the first place for a chuckle as far as anyone can tell.

So if Hades didn't try because he's keeping to some faint hope she'll change her mind, that would be an asshole move I totally agree, if however he didn't try because he knew Zeus would have never agreed, that's a horse of a different color.

With the way Zoat has been writing Hades in this story, I bet it's more the latter than the former.

Good point, though I'm still convinced it may be the former.

Though according to Heph, none of them could get divorces, so it may be the latter.

And even if he couldn't get a divorce due to Zeus, he might have still let her leave Erebos when she wanted to instead of staying with him for months.

Though that could gave also been Zeus making what he thought was a fair compromise.

Still, even if her still staying was not fully the fault of Hades, she may still want her marriage to be over.

What is her new role going to be, once she gets divorced? Her Underworld associations are actually stronger than her "goddess of spring" associations, so that'll be... interesting. She seems perfectly poised to act in some role that straddles the line of "living plants" and "dead plants". If you don't consider the awkwardness of dealing with her ex-husband, that is.
I mean, would she necessarily have to quit her current job? Hades seems like he would be chill about it.

"We're trying to show people a better way to live. You've seen alien civilizations; you can't tell me that every species destroys their natural habitat to industrialise."

"You'd like Alstair and O.
I suspect neither Euanthe nor Isley would approve of Alistar. They might use living plants rather than dead ones but those 'natural habitats' absolutely have been destroyed, or at least twisted into unrecognisability for the convenience of the people living there.

She rolls her eyes. "Do you need me to spell it out?"

"Yes. And if people did that more often they'd find their interactions with me much more productive."
He should add that to his business cards.

"Orange Lantern. I am Persephone, Queen of Erebos, and I wish to petition Hephaestaean for a divorce."
"Good for you, why are you talking to me?"

The seed pod cracks and splits, husk falling away and shrivelling up to reveal a cream coloured manikin-like feminine humanoid. For a moment it looks like it's about to collapse, then it steadies itself and looks directly at me.

"Hello?"

Speaking of immensely powerful plant beings who want to change their relationship status with a man who is currently very happy with the current status quo….

What is her new role going to be, once she gets divorced?

To add to this, I thought she was originally a death god herself, a minor one that got pulled into Greek history and mythology. She has her own hidden cult. (In this video about 9 min in). And it's Demeter who is more against the marriage to Hades.

Last edited:
Yes. And if people did that more often they'd find their interactions with me much more productive."
yeah but its not like you try to meet them part way so its equally you fault as well.

Maybe LePaul will do the smart thing and suggest they get relationship consoling?
are you serious Paul do that, i doubt it since he isn't a Balanced Lantern but an Orange so he will do what he feel is Smart not what actually is Smart.

And even if he couldn't get a divorce due to Zeus, he might have still let her leave Erebos when she wanted to instead of staying with him for months.
There are actually Metaphysical Reasons that she Has to stay in the Underworld for a Period of time, If this Version was never Dread Persephone, A Goddess of the Underworld Before Hades.

Once you Eat Food of the Underworld or take in Part of the Underworld you can't Permanently leave it without most likely Major Metaphysical Surgery (if it's possible at all)

I'm a little surprised Euthane has a crush on Paul. I assumed her earlier attempts at complimenting his meat were her trying to be thankful for him freeing her and that she had a too inhuman mindset to want to date let alone have sex with anyone. Is she going to get mad when Paul explains he's not going to cheat on his girlfriend as every other Olympian would?
Also, assuming Euthane's mindset is typical for nymphs how did any of them ever have children? Was it all rape by gods and satyrs?

I'm a little surprised Euthane has a crush on Paul. I assumed her earlier attempts at complimenting his meat were her trying to be thankful for him freeing her and that she had a too inhuman mindset to want to date let alone have sex with anyone. Is she going to get mad when Paul explains he's not going to cheat on his girlfriend as every other Olympian would?
Do you know how promiscuous trees are?
Also, assuming Euthane's mindset is typical for nymphs how did any of them ever have children? Was it all rape by gods and satyrs?
Pretty unusual, as they're usually not meaty enough to bring a child to term.

And the fecal matter has officially hit the rotary forced ventilation device.

Maybe we'll be lucky and she'd be willing to settle for a trial separation first, perhaps as a way to give Hades a chance to genuinely win her heart without her being permanently tied to him as a fallback position?

She probably isn't aware of it. Maybe some Amazons can visit and teach her this.
Wrong Amazon. In this case, "amazonian" refers to the natives of the Amazon River valley and floodplain, not the residents of Themiscyra.

There are actually Metaphysical Reasons that she Has to stay in the Underworld for a Period of time, If this Version was never Dread Persephone, A Goddess of the Underworld Before Hades.

Once you Eat Food of the Underworld or take in Part of the Underworld you can't Permanently leave it without most likely Major Metaphysical Surgery (if it's possible at all)

I think it was implied that the 'seeds' she supposedly took were a euphemism for Hades impregnating her, not that she ate food from there and can't leave.

She's technically a dryad, not a nymph, and maybe they don't reproduce but are just spontaneously born.

OL is semi-divine enough that it makes sense Eaunthe is interested in him. He is a hero in the classical sense who rescued her, which often led to marriages in greek myths.

I can see Harley being a special case, abd obviously they havent really had time to form a relationship in this continuity. Sexuality does operate on a spectrum where you wouldnt be into most women, but could be into a specific woman.

I would say the consensuality of Persephone's relationship isnt even questionable. She was raped flat out. She consented under the impression that Hades would force her, and when she realized he wouldnt, she refused completely. That is not consent.

Paragon shouls help negotiate her divorce. It is the right thing to do. She is as much a victim as Eaunthe was.

So... John Constantine is under the fanon Muggle repelling spell right?

"I need to find john con- did I leave the stove on?"

Repeat as needed.
Remember when John told Paul not to look for him?
It wasn't just a request it was a spell.
John did make the Soul Tattoos so he probably put in a "back Door" in case he had to whammy paul.
He's the kind of paranoid jerk who's seen some shit to put a contingency in like that.

So now when paul puts effort into finding John he gets slapped with an interesting times effect.

Anyone else worried there might be other Baby Titans or Gods coming into existence in the Dreaming right now that some evil wizards or gods might want to use for their own power up like say Boss Smiley or Savitar (who from what I can tell wants to become a god or avatar of the Speed Force) or say who ever The Light gets to be their New Magic Specialist. Now admittedly we haven't (to my memory) got any hints of another Titan being new or missing unless Rhea never did die and has been used to power up someone.

OL really just needs to set his rings to warn him every five minutes to go look for John Constantine.

I find it kind of odd that LePaul has been allowed to pump up the Green so much.

Because usually that would have resulted in a reaction from the other nine parliaments.

Because usually that would have resulted in a reaction from the other nine parliaments.
There are nine other parliaments? Damn, that's a lot. I knew there were a fair few of them, but I didn't realise it was that many.
She was raped flat out.
Was she? I absolutely agree that it was non-consensual (or rather, that consent was coerced), but does it count as rape if Hades thought she was fine with it? Genuinely curious about how that works.
I don't think having the person who's job it is
'whose'
I nod. "She's safe for you do be around,
'to'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back