• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Am I the only one who's kind of disappointed we didnt get to see Satanus becoming a Construct-Lantern? I mean, the whole stick of the OL Corps is enslaving your enemies for eternity, and we don't really see that happen since... I think Von Daggle (Savage if we go by finished Assimilations)? I get why we don't see it a lot cause it's a Fate Worse Than Death, but still, it'd be nice to see the Construct-Lanterns once in a while.

Hope the next chapter shows how Satanus thinks of his new life? Being a slave and all. Plus, keeping him out to fight will probably be helpful with everything cause Paul needs all the help he can get.

I don't like this. I get that this is a crisis situation, but literally enslaving people forever is not going to go over well with anyone.
"Technically, Satanus was serving a life sentence in the United States of America, which, as an immortal, would continue until he was killed by outside means. The Thirteenth Amendment still permits slavery as punishment for a crime. Given he was in Federal prison, and I am acting under the authority of Acting President Adams, the conversion of Satanus into a construct is legal, despite being indefinite and irreversible slavery."

I do suspect OL is going to take a hefty number of Renegade points in the coming chapters, even if we don't see the Renegade symbol anymore.

From yesterday:
the entire population is forming neat lines under the orders of their mind control helmet.
'helmets'
I don't like this. I get that this is a crisis situation, but literally enslaving people forever is not going to go over well with anyone.
I don't think he is enslaving anyone. I got the impression that these criminals will be allowed to go free at the end of this crisis. Unless you meant Satanus, but I think assimilation is more like killing someone and creating a compliant clone than slavery.

I've always felt that assimilation is criminally underused by Paragon. One of the things I really liked about Warhammer Paul was his army of Construct-Lanterns.

I feel that the thing with blurring Crock is a bit silly. If he'd had sworn a binding magical oath or something, I'd understand, but is he really so unwilling to break his word that he'll use a technicality like this? The circumstances are special enough that nobody would be likely to blame him, and if they'd blame him anyway then it's unlikely that the technicality would be enough to stop them.

"Enslave him permanently, mind, body and soul." I put my right hand on the shoulder of the closest magician. "Which way to Colin Thornton's cell

Well I guess a demonic lord is a good country for a god.

What the hell happened to the military?"

That… Was from a vaguely ogre-looking fellow who… Isn't in my database.

Eiling, you've certainly changed and became as ugly outside as you were inside.

Ah, right. He fucked up big time... Off-screen, apparently, mentioned as being in prison here. Amusingly, in the same post as the debrief of the League's attack on Apokalips, and a mention of the Infinity Man... :sneaky:

Not the first time something from the comics happened offscreen.

Ah, a pleasant specimen of humanity, isn't he?

Not really.

I also find it difficult to tell the difference between being a Nazi and being delusional.

I know it's unlikely, but I kinda want to see Paul work with Task Force X in the future. Maybe they could do things that the Justice League can't legally do.

Thank you, corrected.
I'm a little curious on what exactly they did to Eiling.
They gave him the same choice he gave Adams.
Is he as strong as the Shaggy Man from the comics?
Corrected for Universe 16.
Forcing all the irredeemable villains to sell their souls.
If they were damned anyway, what's the problem? And they aren't sold, they're in hock.
I really want to see the Justice League's reaction to Paul doing this.
Can do.
His aim, so far as we can tell, is make everyone feel so completely miserable...
Joar Mahkent's face is impassive.
From yesterday: 'helmets'
Thank you, corrected.
The only one being enslaved forever is Colin Thornton. The rest are under contract for the duration of the crisis.
"Technically, Satanus was serving a life sentence in the United States of America, which, as an immortal, would continue until he was killed by outside means. The Thirteenth Amendment still permits slavery as punishment for a crime. Given he was in Federal prison, and I am acting under the authority of Acting President Adams, the conversion of Satanus into a construct is legal, despite being indefinite and irreversible slavery."
I like that, though it should probably lose the word 'technically'. Also, being physically killed would merely be inconvenient given that he's a demon.

Bonus Points for the fact the head of Hell works for Paul. He's got them coming and going.

Downside is we'll see how many of those irredeemable villains keep their contract and end up living. They will have a full pardon, after all, and if they're irredeemable there might be some Plans in the future.

I will never be over how big a change from canon Paul's Paulphidion stage making Conner not hang out with the Forever People caused.

I do suspect OL is going to take a hefty number of Renegade points in the coming chapters, even if we don't see the Renegade symbol anymore.
I do enjoy the idea of renegade actions actually being useful for a change.

In ME, it was just 'be an obnoxious dickhead'
The idea of "I've decided to put morality aside for the duration of the current crisis so that I can focus on problem solving." appeals to me.

In ME, it was just 'be an obnoxious dickhead'
The idea of "I've decided to put morality aside for the duration of the current crisis so that I can focus on problem solving." appeals to me.
To be fair, there are quite a few cases (ME2) where Renegade interrupt is doing a more efficient thing, resulting in killing bunch of enemies player would otherwise have to fight, through a ruthless cutscene.
Like torching a krogan with some gas in a pipe (I wanna say, Mordin loyalty mission?), or that one time against Eclipse mercs on Miranda loyalty mission.

That is to say, even in ME those sometimes have appropriate depth. It isn't a warcrame if there are no witnesses you are a Spectre, after all.

To be fair, there are quite a few cases (ME2) where Renegade interrupt is doing a more efficient thing, resulting in killing bunch of enemies player would otherwise have to fight, through a ruthless cutscene.
Like torching a krogan with some gas in a pipe (I wanna say, Mordin loyalty mission?), or that one time against Eclipse mercs on Miranda loyalty mission.
Yes, but killing someone who is boasting that he intends to launch a universal jihad of conquest and cannibalism isn't really a morally dubious action. Same with taking a shot with Garrus's sniper rifle without asking or blowing up mercenaries you were going to have to shoot dead anyway.

That is to say, even in ME those sometimes have appropriate depth. It isn't a warcrame if there are no witnesses you are a Spectre, after all.

ME2's renegade prompts were just action hero movie moments.

Eh, ME's Renegade moments were still better than KOTOR's cartoonishly evil Dark Side options. (Though the fish thing was darkly funny).

Though I get the impression Captain Atom knows what OL was planning and approved of it.

You know, it's too bad LePaul isn't someone who could just blast all the transmission towers at once from orbit.

Or call on the God of Technology to force the transmission towers to shut down.

Why is Paul going through this rigamarole with contracts and pardons instead of just branding everyone?

I feel that the thing with blurring Crock is a bit silly. If he'd had sworn a binding magical oath or something, I'd understand, but is he really so unwilling to break his word that he'll use a technicality like this?

I mean, he could. But it's effortless not to. Sticking to the precise word of your threats has nonzero value. Not large, but positive, not zero.

Because he wants the Suicide Squad to be a thing.

Villains agreeing to it and then sticking to the agreement sets precedent for Suicide Squad viability where mind controlling them all would not.

Also the contracts hold even in the event of his death, as far as we know branding may revert upon his demise, and it's poor combat planning to not take into account losses.

There's also the possibility that altering their minds would have negative side effects, since they'll be fighting a force capable of damaging minds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back