• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

My orders don't allowed me

"allow"

I nod and fly out of the ship, heading for… Venus, yes, that's probably safest

Weird that Venus is considered safe.

According to my alter-egos,

Has he met the others?

Though kryptonians can't fly faster than light at will.

Though some probably can.

Yes. His face hardens. Something's… Happened. Were the survivors of the Great Purge all related

Kinda reminds me of the Highbreed from Ben 10.

They believed in racial purity so much that they started inbreeding to the point that they becamesterile and decided to destroy all other races.

Only the story only alert went out for me.

Speaking of recharging, how is this Paul doing that is he literally feeding his ring with exotic energy from the center of the earth or did he find a lantern?

I remember he mentioned he is recharging, but we don't know how quite yet.

Same here, only the story only alert.

And I think he's using the biological remains of some of the people Omniman and Invincible killed to recharge.

I only noticed because Zoat never misses an upload and I've been looking forward to more Invincipaul.
Alas, not true. I missed one since moving to daily updates.
'than light'
'-but I've'?
'gave'
or
'gives'
Thank you, corrected.
Speaking of recharging, how is this Paul doing that is he literally feeding his ring with exotic energy from the center of the earth or did he find a lantern?

I remember he mentioned he is recharging, but we don't know how quite yet.
The exotic matter thing was a lie to get him access to viltrumite blood. HIs charge point is a machine built by a now-dead mad scientist.
Thank you, corrected.
Weird that Venus is considered safe.
'Safe' in that no one else will get hurt.
Has he met the others?
Unless I'm contradicting myself, I'm going to say 'no'.

Last edited:
Heh. I wonder if it actually occurred to her that he might not have been speaking English earlier, but rather discussing it with her in her viltrumite language...
The other Viltrumites, the ones that appeared in the show didn't seem to have a problem talking to Mark, and I don't think he learned Viltrumite.

She may have just assumed that Nolan gave out dictionaries and translation guides and Matthew learned it like that.

The exotic matter thing was a lie to get him access to viltrumite blood. HIs charge point is a machine built by a now-dead mad scientist.

That is a single point of failure... Unless he made more of the same machine using the ring transmutation and has hidden a couple of them in certain places all the while he drags one around in his subspace pocket.

Either way it's good learning experience for Paul. Getting good detailed scans and DNA samples and seeing what weapons and tactics work.
Just have to stay alive……

Well, it's closer than Timbuktu, if that's what you mean.

I live on the south coast of England.

Well if it's the same time zone I'll likely be up shortly after your post. Most days.

Look, sleeping in is nice, okay?

Equity (part 28) New
11th May 2024
23:41 GMT

The-

Skip.

-Venus landscape-

Skip.

-jumps around-

Skip.

-in a series-

Skip.

-of tremors and eruptions of-

Skip.

-dust, sort of as intended.

"Teleportation? I wonder how good your-"

Skip. Prepare needles.

"-reflexes are."

Skip.

"Ah!"

I back off through the air, scanning for Vidor. Good to see that x-ionised needles can pierce viltrumite skin. I wasn't completely sure about that, and I couldn't really test it. Sonic pulse and electromagnetic scan shows that they… Pierced his skin and that's about it. There's a little blood, but it's more like what a sharp needle would do to a normal person's skin than a 'this sword could cut Superman in half' wound. I suspect that the only reason why he cried out was a combination of surprise and the fact that one went into his eye.

I mean, that's more than anyone on Earth managed to do to Omniman. Heh. Maybe I should have gotten involved. But-.

Vidor's stopped moving. With the clouds he threw up he's having to concentrate to find me… Hearing, probably. The optimal time for a sonic attack, but none of the sonic weapons I know about are anything like powerful enough to cause a viltrumite more than mild irritation.

A construct wouldn't be so limited-. I guess I could fake manipulating sound waves directly.

I raise my hands and the dust buckles, clouds shooting away and giving me a brief view of blood squirting out Vidor's ears. Then he sees me and move!

Agh! Pain killer! And teleport, not-!

Skip.

Yes, argh, like that. Ough, my-. Right arm and part of where my shoulder should be just got.. torn off! Repair that and maintain vigilance while he tries to work out where I've gone now.

"An interesting move." I scan upwards until I find Anissa. "You've managed to injure him, and removed his ability to hear me if I try to call him off."

Radio only. And build a railgun.

"I communicate intent more than words."

"I doubt that he'll tell Nowl-Ahn that."

"Did you lose something, human!?" Vidor has hold of the largest intact piece of my arm and is holding it aloft. Because he doesn't know that I can heal myself. I'm not sure if Omniman or Invincible have made a formal report about me, but if they have then Vidor hasn't bothered to read it. "If you take it from me, your chirurgeons may be able to reattach it!"

"Still, you have surpassed my expectations." The railgun takes shape in my hands, and I load x-ionised needles. "I feel less humiliated to have been assigned you as my mate."

Aim assist. Target the hand holding my arm.

Adjusting for wind and air resistance. Fire.

Skip.

What happened?

Keeping my eyes on my surroundings and on Vidor, the ring replays-. He… Saw the railgun round, evaded it and traced its trajectory back to-.

That would have killed me if he hit me.

Okay. Good to have that confirmed. Ah. I deafened him but he's powering through it without the ability to hear. He's looking around more to compensate. He'll heal the injury faster than a human, but it should last for the duration of this fight.

The dust is starting to settle.

Charge railgun. Full automatic. I need to kick up more dust.

Fire.

Four rounds hit the ground before he notices and moves. Not towards me, he just speeds in the direction he was facing. Some of the dust is blown away, but I think he's mostly doing it to get far enough away for a clear view.

Move and shoot.

Dozens of needles fired, but he's got room to dodge around them as he turns and flies b-.

Skip.

Back at what I hope is his actual full speed, because apparently their control of inertia extends to momentum and he can turn on a sixpence. I-. Oh, he.. can't judge depth quite properly with one damaged eye.

So what, then? If… That's the fastest he can respond and fly, then I can predict his most probable flight path. Which means…

Plot course up. Fabricate electromagnetic containment vessel. Cross fingers very hard. Twist the matter inside the containment vessel until it becomes anti-matter. Triple check the magnetic field before withdrawing my environmental shield. Add a flight system to the vessel and drop it off. Float behind it and fire and cross my toes-.

Skip.

Below me the skies of Venus roil with the force of the detonation, untold billions of tonnes of atmospheric gas moving away in a visible wave!

"What did you do?"

Anissa is now floating a short distance from me, looking… Curious?

"It's not just matter than I can rearrange. That was anti-matter. Perhaps a bit too much force, but I felt that if he was going for kill shots then it was probably alright." I try scanning for Vidor but I'm not really getting anything helpful. Based on Omniman's observed feats he could have survived, but viltrumites need to breathe and I'm fairly sure that he didn't have time to take a breath. "Is that sufficient for this spar? Ah, and should I try recovering him? I wasn't able to test-. Mpg?"

Anissa's tongue enters my mouth so aggressively that my teeth snap backwards, forcing me to disintegrate and replace them as she-. I can feel my bones cracking-. Reinforce! Embraces me with far too much strength for the human body! I try-. Kissing her back while also trying to reduce the pressure on my jaw before it's torn from my skull and I'm bloody glad that I was still suppressing my ability to feel pain.

After entirely too long she pulls back, looking pleased with herself.

"I have decided that your reward for winning will be the privilege of choosing our posture the first time we mate. I will choose on all other occasions. For your sake, you had better have stamina."

"Tech-." I restore the damage I just received. "Technically, I have infinite stamina."

"Good. You will need it."

Last edited:
I raise my hands and the dusk buckles, clouds shooting away
'dusk' should be 'dust'

giving me a brief view of blood squiring out Vidor's ears.
*squirting

I'm not sure of Omniman or Invincible
'of' should be 'if'

Right arm and part of where my shoulder should be just got.. torn off!
He's really lucky that wasn't his ring arm.

He's really lucky that wasn't his ring arm.
I think you can read the passage below to mean that he doesn't have a true ring arm. I don't know if he has a decoy ring on a finger (I vaguely recall something like that with a different alt), but he only has one true ring AFAIK, and it's in his skull.
"Apparently, this planet uses synthetic reproduction technology. I can follow the Regent's order as long as his scrotum remains intact." Vidor raises an eyebrow at her. "Nowl-Ahn wants him to stay alive. Anything else is acceptable."

It's… True that I can heal anything else. Implanting my ring in my skull looks like it was a better and better plan every day.
edit: ninja'd

Also, apparently this ring doesn't have the thing where he can't call it 'his' ring. Either that, or he was released from that stricture sometime between his appearance and the present.

Last edited:
He's not wearing the ring openly...he mentioned stuffing it into his Skull for safe keeping.

I think you can read the passage below to mean that he doesn't have a true ring arm. I don't know if he has a decoy ring on a finger (I vaguely recall something like that with a different alt), but he only has one true ring AFAIK, and it's in his skull.

the ring is in his head.
Ah, looks like I misread the passage from last chapter. I thought he said he wished he had done it, not that he had actually done it.

Now I'm wondering if Mathew will end like Alan part orange light elemental. In the main story heading that way because of his soul tattoos, but would anything close to that happen in this reality?

11th May 2024
23:41 GMT

The-

Skip.

-Venus landscape-
Now, which of them will prove faster? Man, this fight must look Shonen as all hell with them practically teleporting about the battleground. But Vidor has the limit of not actually being able to teleport. So the atmosphere is grinding across him like sandpaper...

Skip.

-jumps around-

Skip.

-in a series-
...Why am I picturing that one Bleach meme of 'Teleports Behind You'. 😏

Skip.

-of tremors and eruptions of-

Skip.

-dust, sort of as intended.
See, if it were me, I'd be leaving behind some explosives, if only to distract him a moment longer.

"Teleportation? I wonder how good your-"

Skip. Prepare needles.

"-reflexes are."
Who needs reflexes with programmed combat commands?

Well, that must have hurt him.

I back off through the air, scanning for Vidor. Good to see that x-ionised needles can pierce viltrumite skin. I wasn't completely sure about that, and I couldn't really test it. Sonic pulse and electromagnetic scan shows that they… Pierced his skin and that's about it. There's a little blood, but it's more like what a sharp needle would do to a normal person's skin than a 'this sword could cut Superman in half' wound. I suspect that the only reason why he cried out was a combination of surprise and the fact that one went into his eye.
And even the eye isn't a guaranteed permanent bit of damage, depending on how strong his healing is.

I mean, that's more than anyone on Earth managed to do to Omniman. Heh. Maybe I should have gotten involved. But-.

Vidor's stopped moving. With the clouds he threw up he's having to concentrate to find me… Hearing, probably. The optimal time for a sonic attack, but none of the sonic weapons I know about are anything like powerful enough to cause a viltrumite more than mild irritation.
Don't get cocky, kid. You didn't have any of these tricks back then.

A construct wouldn't be so limited-. I guess I could fake manipulating sound waves directly.

I raise my hands and the dusk buckles, clouds shooting away and giving me a brief view of blood squiring out Vidor's ears. Then he sees me and move!
One drawback of that sort of thing: it makes quite the breeze. And when you're depending on the mist for cover...

Agh! Pain killer! And teleport, not-!

Skip.
...Being exposed can cost you an arm and a leg.

Yes, argh, like that. Ough, my-. Right arm and part of where my shoulder should be just got.. torn off! Repair that and maintain vigilance while he tries to work out where I've gone now.

"An interesting move." I scan upwards until I find Anissa. "You've managed to injure him, and removed his ability to hear me if I try to call him off."
Bet it was quite the show from up there. Whole continent-sized masses of clouds getting distorted by Vidor's movements...

Radio only. And build a railgun.

"I communicate intent more than words."

"I doubt that he'll tell Nowl-Ahn that."
If only out of embarrassment over being played so well.

"Did you lose something, human!?" Vidor has hold of the largest intact piece of my arm and is holding it aloft. Because he doesn't know that I can heal myself. I'm not sure of Omniman or Invincible have made a formal report about me, but if they have then Vidor hasn't bothered to read it. "If you take it from me, your chirurgeons may be able to reattach it!"
Ah, the classic mistake. Underestimating the 'weakling'.

"Still, you have surpassed my expectations." The railgun takes shape in my hands, and I load x-ionised needles. "I feel less humiliated to have been assigned you as my mate."

Aim assist. Target the hand holding my arm.
Heh. Hasn't really internalised the idea that he doesn't have to hold the gun, has he? honestly, a few hundred free-floating railguns would have been better. Though that kind of fusillade might be more in the Illustres' skill range.

Adjusting for wind and air resistance. Fire.

Skip.

What happened?
I'd say he felt it coming. Good thing you're got auto-dodge on.

Keeping my eyes on my surroundings and on Vidor, the ring replays-. He… Saw the railgun round, evaded it and traced its trajectory back to-.

That would have killed me if he hit me.
Very lucky to not have become chunky salsa right there.

Okay. Good to have that confirmed. Ah. I deafened him but he's powering through it without the ability to hear. He's looking around more to compensate. He'll heal the injury faster than a human, but it should last for the duration of this fight.

The dust is starting to settle.
To be fair, a lot of people wouldn't be able to heal that at all.

Charge railgun. Full automatic. I need to kick up more dust.

Fire.
Taking advantage of his enemy's new weak point. Smart move.

Four rounds hit the ground before he notices and moves. Not towards me, he just speeds in the direction he was facing. Some of the dust is blown away, but I think he's mostly doing it to get far enough away for a clear view.

Move and shoot.
Yeah, if he can see you, he'll kill you.

Dozens of needles fired, but he's got room to dodge around them as he turns and flies b-.

Skip.
I don't think you're going to have the same success now that you did earlier, Matthew. Gonna need something sneakier.

Back at what I hope is his actual full speed, because apparently their control of inertia extends to momentum and he can turn on a sixpence. I-. Oh, he.. can't judge depth quite properly with one damaged eye.

So what, then? If… That's the fastest he can respond and fly, then I can predict his most probable flight path. Which means…
And in a fight like this, a predictable enemy is a enemy doomed to fail.

Plot course up. Fabricate electromagnetic containment vessel. Cross fingers very hard. Twist the matter inside the containment vessel until it becomes anti-matter. Triple check the magnetic field before withdrawing my environmental shield. Add a flight system to the vessel and drop it off. Float behind it and fire and cross my toes-.
Impressive level of focus. Evidently wanting to not die makes for some powerful constructs.

Skip.

Below me the skies of Venus roil with the force of the detonation, untold billions of tonnes of atmospheric gas moving away in a visible wave!
Yeah, Vidor isn't coming out of that without a tan. Also, just picturing that is amazing.

"What did you do?"

Anissa is now floating a short distance from me, looking… Curious?
And possibly turned on. Better ready you body, Matthew...

"It's not just matter than I can rearrange. That was anti-matter. Perhaps a bit too much force, but I felt that if he was going for kill shots then it was probably alright." I try scanning for Vidor but I'm not really getting anything helpful. Based on Omniman's observed feats he could have survived, but viltrumites need to breathe and I'm fairly sure that he didn't have time to take a breath. "Is that sufficient for this spar? Ah, and should I try recovering him? I wasn't able to test-. Mpg?"
Well, I guess you can add something else to the 'effective against viltrumites' list: Anti-matter grenade to the face.

Anissa's tongue enters my mouth so aggressively that my teeth snap backwards, forcing me to disintegrate and replace them as she-. I can feel my bones cracking-. Reinforce! Embraces me with far too much strength for the human body! I try-. Kissing her back while also trying to reduce the pressure on my jaw before it's torn from my skull and I'm bloody glad that I was still suppressing my ability to feel pain.
Goodness, he is going to have to replace his bones with adamantium or something just to survive her.

After entirely too long she pulls back, looking pleased with herself.

"I have decided that your reward for winning will be the privilege of choosing our posture the first time we mate. I will choose on all other occasions. For your sake, you had better have stamina."
Fortunately, as long as his Ring charge holds out, he's got stamina aplenty...

"Tech-." I restore the damage I just received. "Technically, I have infinite stamina."

"Good. You will need it."
You know she's going to test that now, Matthew. Get used to rebuilding your pelvis...

Well, looks like he passed the test. Now the only thing he has to worry about is death by snu-snu. ...And maybe how the Viltrumites will react to him managing to kill or at least maim Vidor. That can probably get a pass with 'he tried to kill me first.' At least Venus ate the Earth-shattering kaboom. So no real need to fix that mess...

So will Matthew upgrade himself now that he seemingly has Anissa's long term attention? I also want to see what happens with Vidor. Antimatter seems like it will inflict permanent injuries and given Anissa just floated away to get with her new mate Vidor might be cooked.

I want to see what the other Viltrumites think of the spar. Matthew was an unknown as an opponent, but Vidor did play enough with his food for Matthew to win.

I mean, that's more than anyone on Earth managed to do to Omniman.
I feel like that will get them to be more 'buddy-buddy' with Matthew.

I mean if Invincible thinks that his buddy could very well have actually fought and hurt them more than anyone else but just didn't see the point...

Last edited:
The tooth damage and repair is one of the most disturbing things in this story. I get that something comparable happens with all sorts of head-on impacts outside of superpowers, but… your own body becoming shrapnel for your squishy inners… Yck.

Also, neat. There was a 50% chance that Paul lost that battle. If only a different arm was chosen, you know? Won't happen again though, that ring is going somewhere internal like he considered before.

Tbh I would also be super turned on if my significant other demonstrated the ability to atomize tall buildings in a single bound.

Now that's a proper Lantern, godsdamnit!

Now I'm curious if Lantern Matthew is just making time and looking for info on the Viltrumite Empire 'til he can finally take them out, or if he's still going to continue cooperating with them honestly.

I mean, obviously he doesn't know if the strategy used can be as effective with all of them and this was a relatively contained affair, but at the same time he will be getting more experienced with his Lantern abilities, constructs, exotic technologies at his disposal and may have the opportunity to even access the Viltrumite databases, I imagine.

The Viltrumites are a bunch of monsters, objectively speaking, but apparently they're redeemable with actual and wholesome human socialization. But again, Matthew doesn't know about the setting at all and at the moment the Viltrumites haven't shown themselves as anything more than conquering quasi-nazi assholes so I don't see why he wouldn't be plannimg their demise.

Also, neat. There was a 50% chance that Paul lost that battle. If only a different arm was chosen, you know? Won't happen again though, that ring is going somewhere internal like he considered before.

Others have said it already, but Lantern Matthew has his ring implanted in his brain, so losing even both arms wouldn't have disabled him.

So will Matthew upgrade himself now that he seemingly has Anissa's long term attention?
I feel that this fight reveals a need to figure out mental acceleration techniques or copy a superspeed power.

While the 'suddenly a viltrumite mate who is fairly rough and inconsiderate' part reveals a need to get ahold of some kind of enhancement to physical durability.
(That and seeing if he can get the girl addicted to doggystyle so she doesn't constantly carelessly crush his hips.)

Those and increased construct strength are likely to be this one's priorities for improvement.

Last edited:
So will Matthew upgrade himself now that he seemingly has Anissa's long term attention? I also want to see what happens with Vidor. Antimatter seems like it will inflict permanent injuries and given Anissa just floated away to get with her new mate Vidor might be cooked.
Technically, he didn't get hit with anti-matter. The anti-matter merely reacted with the surrounding matter to produce an explosion in a highly efficient manner. If Vidor had done that in a vacuum then he'd be dead.
I want to see what the other Viltrumites think of the spar. Matthew was an unknown as an opponent, but Vidor did play enough with his food for Matthew to win.
'If he was too weak to survive then he deserved to die.' I believe that's the canon answer.
Now I'm curious if Lantern Matthew is just making time and looking for info on the Viltrumite Empire 'til he can finally take them out, or if he's still going to continue cooperating with them honestly.
His goals are flexible. At the moment, he thinks that Earth is being added to a large empire with millions of viltrumites at the very least. If he finds out the truth... Maybe.
While the 'suddenly a viltrumite mate who is fairly rough and inconsiderate' part reveals a need to get ahold of some kind of enhancement to physical durability.
(That and seeing if he can get the girl addicted to doggystyle so she doesn't constantly carelessly crush his hips.)
Giant. Construct. Vibrator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back