• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Esquestria: The House of the Sun - A pony cultist experience

And about your previous question, I won't add that information because I have been trying to work on my brevity skills. But if it doesn't say it will cost his action, then it won't cost his action.
Gotcha, gotcha. So for monster hunting, it's basically a trade-off between bit efficiency vs. AP efficiency.

Two updates in a single day, you're spoiling us.

Oh, Biedde's summoning
[Knock Roll: 41 + 13 (Magic) + 40 (KNOCK, Level 4) + 20 (KNOCK reagent) = 83]
Holy fuck, that was close and... the same roll as the Moth one? If we still believed in coincidences.

Now for Edge, the most important
Edge Roll: 67 + 13 (Magic) + 40 (EDGE, Level 4) + 40 (EDGE reagent) = 160]
WE DIDN'T EVEN NEED THE FUCKING REAGENT. Why the fuck Velvet's bullshit luck is so random?

Oh my glob he does free guard actions? And we can't befriend him? And we can pay for him to stay?
Murder Grandpa is the best, there, I said it.

But I am sad we can't save him from the Colonel like Comet Feet.

Now for the Sacrament:
Biedde's Invidation: "The price has always been blood. In this case, my blood. Draw a single drop of it, and I will permit you passage.
-"Challenge" Biedde to a duel. This costs one Velvet Covers action, and is a free action for Biedde.
-Velvet Covers and Biedde will engage in a duel. Biedde will fight until either he decreases Velvet Covers' health to 1, or until Velvet Covers deals one wound to Biedde.
-It is permissible for Velvet Covers to use an Edge Influence. It is not permissible for Velvet Covers to attempt to "Ambush" Biedde.
-You must reach 4/4 scraps of Edge before taking this action, as he wishes to test your martial prowess.
This is perfect, we just got the chance to heal our scar and we can't really "offend" him by healing it since he can't be befriended.

We doing this after we heal the scar or next turn?

As it is he's got +80 unless he starts pulling on his own Influence, which is unlikely. A max Influence puts us at +69, with an AotL at +90. It's not impossible to win even as we are. We just need to get a little lucky.
We should also maybe consider putting in some effort to get a proper Edge weapon. Since the Edge artifact we bought ended up being for escaping rather than fighting :V

Gotcha, gotcha. So for monster hunting, it's basically a trade-off between bit efficiency vs. AP efficiency.
I mean, the difference is basically 100 bits for two actions—since one of the three is spent—or 120 for two. Except the 120 bits means we not only get those actions immediately, but also that we don't lose the guard action in the meantime.

We doing this after we heal the scar or next turn?
Probably should wait until after we get Frangiclave, at the minimum (and heal our scar, yes). Frangiclave expedition is likely to be fairly dangerous, and best not to injure ourselves so close to the expedition.

Last edited:
Also something to note regarding the 60 bit option for Biedde, Rarity's dividends when she focuses on her work seem to be averaging at ~50 bits rn, and will likely go up once we get her to Grail 4. So even with funding Biedde every turn once the initial three turns run out, we should still be getting a net income of 140 - 150 bits.

Well then, eminently business-like, I can certainly appreciate that. Consider my concerns regarding healing scars resolved. The old man really is everything we could have asked for, keeps things safe and doesn't expect aught of us beyond his regular pay. It's nice to have a professional mercenary on the payroll.

Ooooooooh, what do you guys think the odds of Comet succeeding at Biedde's Sacrament would be? I wouldn't want to do it before his secondary Lore is revealed, but I am curious as to the math.

Oh! Shining Armor too! I bet he's got an Edge Affinity as well!

Also something to note regarding the 60 bit option for Biedde, Rarity's dividends when she focuses on her work seem to be averaging at ~50 bits rn, and will likely go up once we get her to Grail 4. So even with funding Biedde every turn once the initial three turns run out, we should still be getting a net income of 140 - 150 bits.
I am somewhat... hesitant of raising Rarity's Grail, because then she will stop being a Minion and that might "encourage" some people to take Mareinette's Sacrament since it would be easier. Ideally for me none of those would be chosen and our Grail remains at 4 unless we find an alternative.

You know, it's always weird seeing pictures of Velvet and realizing that she's not actually the color Velvet. I find it very hard to properly conceptualize what she looks like.

We really need art of the other ponies too to be honest. I constantly forget what Silky Stream is supposed to look like, let alone Windy Flakes, Starry Dancer, and Jade Lantern.

I am somewhat... hesitant of raising Rarity's Grail, because then she will stop being a Minion and that might "encourage" some people to take Mareinette's Sacrament since it would be easier. Ideally for me none of those would be chosen and our Grail remains at 4 unless we find an alternative.

It has been stated that Velvet just thinks that equalizing Grail levels will make Rarity no longer a minion. She's in denial about the situation.

Last edited:
Considering that his base roll for combat is +25 I'd say he'd have a very good shot, especially with AotL and a max Influence. If he's Edge primary (and therefore viable for Biedde's Sacrament) then he'd be rolling +45 base, +65 with AotL, and +105 with both AotL and max Edge Influence.

Shining Armor has the potential to be a very scary combatant if he's Edge primary.

Would Bliedde be slightly offended if we use the Forges Redemption to get rid of Scarred, considering how he is a Colonel Name and the whole Scars are Lessons thing. I know it is impossible to befriend him so opinion isn't entirely important but would offending him make him rescind his offer of a Sacrament for example or is that a thing covered by the Summoner/Summon contract.

Also I like how clear he is regarding his wants, needs and expectations about his work and our relationship, as an Edge Name he really cuts straight to the point... If he wasn't a soldier he seems like he'd fit in well with businessmen and servants with how proffessional he is.

The way the Grail situation works is that so long as Velvet is at a higher level of Grail the other pony can't help but be subordinate. Once they become her equal or better the relationship changes. Of course, in Rarity's case it has nothing to do with the Succulent Lore and everything to do with Velvet's personal actions, but Velvet isn't comfortable thinking about ponies being devoted to her personally.

Would Bliedde be slightly offended if we use the Forges Redemption to get rid of Scarred, considering how he is a Colonel Name and the whole Scars are Lessons thing. I know it is impossible to befriend him so opinion isn't entirely important but would offending him make him rescind his offer of a Sacrament for example or is that a thing covered by the Summoner/Summon contract.
I mean… what lesson has Velvet learned from being scarred? How could she have learned it, when she doesn't even properly remember how she got it?
Ooooooooh, what do you guys think the odds of Comet succeeding at Biedde's Sacrament would be? I wouldn't want to do it before his secondary Lore is revealed, but I am curious as to the math.

Comet could probably do it fairly easily. He has a +38 to Biedde's +80, but he also has Four health—so three to burn—and only needs to hurt Biedde once. If AotL's are available he can also put that bonus up to +59 for… probably five or six rounds, and if he picks up a max Edge Influence first he could even have +78/+98.

Of course, Biedde could pop his own Influence and AotL if he wanted to, but I doubt he will. Not for this.
We really need art of the other ponies too to be honest. I constantly forget what Silky Stream is supposed to look like, let alone Windy Flakes, Starry Dancer, and Jade Lantern.
Jade Whistle. Her name is Jade Whistle. :V
Why would having better Grail help Rarity deny her desires? Because, uh… that's a big part of why she's a minion. She desires Velvet, and so wants to do what she says.

But yes, it's been made pretty clear that Rarity and Jade both are actually minions flat out, and Velvet just doesn't want to admit it, because she likes pretending she doesn't have so much control over them.

Okay... Okay... Oooookaaaaayyyyy...

After that I need something good so anyone wants to talk about our Harmonious bond with Cadance?
She cares about you, perhaps more than you know, and she trusts that you will always be by her side. So, it is no surprise that she will also stand by you, as the two of you tackle the challenges of the future. And you will always think of her as a kind pony first, and a Princess second.
It also appeared earlier here:
Because you can immediately tell from her tone of voice… the same part of your mind that learned you can trust her is also whispering to you that…
We really built something strong with her and the consequences seem to be good for now. Do you all think other Alicorns will notice that Love trusts and cares about Velvet that deep, would that help with Harmony?

I mean… what lesson has Velvet learned from being scarred? How could she have learned it, when she doesn't even properly remember how she got it?
We don't really know and considering how Mareinette NOMed the memory during the removal of the frightened trait it would be really difficult to find out.
But I think I remember something mentioning how her getting her scar was the cause of her estrangement from her family and made her a traumatised husk, the lessons she has learned from that are many. She learned that her father cares for no one but himself by practically disowning her by keeping her away from her younger brother and dropping her once she was wounded.
She learned that love is a wonderful thing from Stormchaser during her recovery from that state, she learned to be kinder than her father due to her hatred of him.
She learned how to hide things from public perception by controlling her image by only wearing dresses that cover her hindleg (which might have led to a propensity for Moth).
And of course the most important lesson, pain hurts oh sweet Celestia why oh why ouch.

I do have to say, I also find the differences in how Biedde appears to Velvet between the Wake and the Mansus interesting. And I think that the main difference is that, well… he's an ally now. He's a subordinate. So of course he's not going to seem dangerous, or even scary, to someone who he is now bound to guard. All of his sharp edges are pointed away.
the lessons she has learned from that are many.
They aren't though, is the thing. Certainly, Velvet learned things in the aftermath of the scar, other events that probably wouldn't have happened if she hadn't recieved it, but she has not yet learned anything from actually recieving the scar.

Because she doesn't remember it. And not due to Marinette eating the memory. Velvet was repressing that memory long before Marinette did anything—also, since you seem unaware, we'l still get the memory once we heal the scar itself, as long as Velvet is the ritual caster—and so hasn't learned the lessons it brings.

Also, to be entirely fair, her scar doesn't seem to have had anything to do with combat, which may make it less offensive to remove.

Now that we can see Baldomare's Lantern Sacrament, I think it's actually fairly "moral", in the sense that we would technically just need to blow the Bits required for two Mares-in-the-Light in order to do it, which is a good bit better than killing someone to drain them of the information their bodies and brains contain. If we do have the time for a second Sacrament after the SH one, Lantern with Baldomare would be a good choice.

We don't really know and considering how Mareinette NOMed the memory during the removal of the frightened trait it would be really difficult to find out.
Luckily the memory saw Mareinette coming and ran to the scar, she only took the trauma.

Oh, I had a scar origin theory, someone probably already said it but here it goes:
- We know Velvet Hill is... himself, and Velvet loved him when she was a filly.
- We also know Velvet tried to get into Celestia's school but failed everytime, Hill was the one who pushed for it.
- She has the "Gifted" trait which means she did good for her age at magic but not good enough to get in.
-When the "Scarred" trait was chosen there was a short text saying something like "you survived but you should not do that again".

What if, when she failed to get in, for the final or any other time she tried to impress her father like any young child would and it went wrong, very very wrong.
There was a scene where Velvet was teaching Twilight where she talked about the dangers of studying magic and that is what made me think this, after all it would be fitting if the reason Velvet went for this topic, besides making Twilight understand the lores were dangerous, was because she felt those dangers herself.

Considering that his base roll for combat is +25 I'd say he'd have a very good shot, especially with AotL and a max Influence. If he's Edge primary (and therefore viable for Biedde's Sacrament) then he'd be rolling +45 base, +65 with AotL, and +105 with both AotL and max Edge Influence.

Shining Armor has the potential to be a very scary combatant if he's Edge primary.

Very good, very good indeed.

Comet could probably do it fairly easily. He has a +38 to Biedde's +80, but he also has Four health—so three to burn—and only needs to hurt Biedde once. If AotL's are available he can also put that bonus up to +59 for… probably five or six rounds, and if he picks up a max Edge Influence first he could even have +78/+98.

Of course, Biedde could pop his own Influence and AotL if he wanted to, but I doubt he will. Not for this.

Jade Whistle. Her name is Jade Whistle. :V

I like what I'm hearing on the Comet front too. Also, thank you for the name correction.

Oh yeah, what do we want Biedde to do this turn, anyways? An Influence to bum-rush All-4 feels a little premature since we are in no way ready to fight him and scraps can come out of nowhere besides, leading to them being wasted. A Lesson just isn't sufficient. He auto-guards, so we can't assign that to him. We have no clue where stored Windigos would be for him to dispose of. Best I can come up with is raiding Copper or nabbing us a body for a free Risen. Those zombies are essentially a free Edge 2 Reagent after all, useful for summoning a MitL or performing an IotH.

Personally I want the Influence not to bumrush the Sacrament—though it would be possible, if we did the scar healing next turn as well—but because we're using Edge for Comet this turn, as well as taking a very dangerous Mansus expedition. Also, just in case Copper does attack. Biedde is a really good guard, but his terrifying combatant trait actually means that if there's multiple fighters, they'll take every excuse to not get bogged down with him. Going for Velvet instead would fit that.

If however, we do want him being more productive, I would suggest having Biedde scout out Copper's cult. Or just send him to raid flat out, but scouting might be better for now. Get more information before revealing that we have an Edge Name.

Now that we can see Baldomare's Lantern Sacrament, I think it's actually fairly "moral", in the sense that we would technically just need to blow the Bits required for two Mares-in-the-Light in order to do it, which is a good bit better than killing someone to drain them of the information their bodies and brains contain. If we do have the time for a second Sacrament after the SH one, Lantern with Baldomare would be a good choice.
Frankly Baldomare Sacrament is kind of useless now, we can just pay scholars to translate stuff, if not just give the books to Cadance, and have her people translate it for free, she can call it the best experts in Equestra easily. We are in the upper echelons of power for a major country, stuff like tranlating text is for people with specialized knowledge, lower on the overall totem poll.

Last edited:
An interesting thing to note about Biedde, too, is that with his specialty being just combat flat out, he actually has bonuses equivalent to Celestia. Better, if you compare him pulling an Influence to her using NHB, and even better if he can also happen to use AotL.

He has half her health, but that's just durability, and Result of being mere summon. In terms of sheer combat skill he is still, in essence, equal to Celestia. Not to mention whatever the fuck his Realization/Sacrament powers are.

Making the rounds New
There is a new visitor at the Velvet estate.

That is the latest bit of gossip that has been going around. That is what the maids have been letting each other know, between shifts and as they bump into each other. What servant after servant has been hearing, as the hours turned into a day, and a day turn into several more besides.

There is a new visitor at the Velvet estate.

And you should be very polite when you are around him.

But not because he is harsh or exacting about it. In fact, it is quite the opposite.

Word among the halls is that he is an older stallion. An uncle from one of the families that married into the Velvets, or perhaps the father of a friend who already passed away. But still, he is an older pony, and every servant who has met him so far says he should be treated as such.

It is something about his age, you see, that just makes you want to behave a little better when you are around him. Something about him that just makes you want to try your very best, so he will give you some encouragement, or advice, or perhaps even praise. Even Ponpon herself, the head of the Lady's household servants, already said that she would like to have his approval. And everypony agrees that doing something wrong near him, to the point that he would shake his head in disappointment, would make the receiving pony very sad indeed.

But still, above all else, the few servants who have met him so far all say he is a very polite and mindful. And at least one of the younger maids said she would have liked it if she could call him "grampa", but that she was too embarrassed to ask if she could do that.

Or at least, that is the word that has been spreading around the Velvet estate.

And that is what she is hoping she can check, this afternoon.

- - -

As far as everypony knows, old Biedde must have some trouble walking. That, or he just likes to watch the younger ponies come and go. Because almost every hour of every day, he can be seen sitting on one of the balconies of the central mansion. Looking towards the sky without a care in the world, slowly swinging on a rocking chair, as ponies go about their businesses. Puffing wide rings from his pipe, every now and then, whenever the fancy strikes him.

Of course, he always has time to chat whenever somepony stops by. It is a bit of a shame the balcony he chose as his spot is on the second floor, because only a few servants are allowed in the floor where Lady Velvet and her family lives. But still, those few ponies privileged to work there will every now and then go up to that balcony to offer him something. Be it a cup or a treat from the kitchen, or just to ask if there is anything the old stallion needs.

And whenever that happens, it is not unusual for them to spend more than just a few minutes, chatting away with him about this and that. Listening with attention and wonder to whatever interesting topic the old stallion decides to tell them about

But unfortunately, she is neither a maid nor a servant. And the cook has already been instructed not to let her grab anything from the kitchen without permission.

So, there is almost nothing Silky Stream can do, except sneak closer and closer to the door that leads to the balcony, as she looks at the back of the rocking chair he is sitting on.

Wondering what she should do next, or even if she should do anything at all. After all, her mother very clearly told her she should not "disturb their latest guest".

But still... he is just there… would it really be wrong if...?

"Young lady, are you really just going to stay there all day? The weather is lovely out here, you know?"

But her thoughts are suddenly interrupted by the soft, and unexpectedly clear, voice of the old stallion.

And somehow, she immediately knows he is talking to her.

"Um… mommy said I shouldn't disturb you, Mr. Biedde sir…" she says, feeling as incensed as she feels excited about this. Because on the one hoof, she thinks she shouldn't be talking to him. But on the other, she really wanted to!

So, she watches in silence as the old stallion slowly stops his rocking chair, by firmly placing a hindleg on the ground. And then as he turns his face so he can look at her.

"Well then, young lady, do you think you are disturbing me? Or that instead this old pony's day would be a little better with a young filly to listen to his stories?"

A smile comes to her face as she hears that. However, true to what everypony said, she does try her best to control herself, and calmly walk towards him instead of immediately prancing to his side.

"Now, no need to be that polite, young lady. Following the rules is important, but rules have limits for a reason. So, you can just call me Biedde, or sir. And please, take a seat. It would be a crime if you had to sit on the ground just to talk to me."

She gives him a hearty nod, and quickly (but not too quickly) goes to the side of the balcony where they keep a group of cushions. After that, she sits next to the old stallion, looking up to him with eyes full of wonder and questions.

"So, is there anything I can help you with?" he asks, although it is clear he already knows the answer to that.

"Yes sir! I, well, mommy said you know a lot of things. So, could you tell me a little bit about yourself?"

"Ohoh? You want this old stallion to tell you a story?" he asks, to which the filly quickly nods. "Well then, I have been around for a while, and I have seen quite a few things during my travels. So why don't I tell you the story about a city I visited once. It was a very cold city, mind you, and it was even colder because a certain mare was in charge. She was a very sad mare, you see, and she put a rule in place saying that nopony was allowed to sing, or even speak at all! So, an old teacher of mine asked me to…"

The young filly was listening with rapt attention, even before he had finished relighting his pipe.

And the two of them stayed there all afternoon, until the filly's caretaker found her, and called her down to lunch. And by then, she had found the filly wearing the old stallion's cap, and she had already moved her cushion so she would be sitting right in front of him to better listen.

But of course, since it would only be polite to invite the old stallion to join them, that only meant he had a greater audience to tell his story.

- - -

Nopony is really sure of when old Biedde sleeps.

Of course, several ponies have already seen the rocking chair empty. Which everypony agrees that, hard of walking or not, he still moves around like anypony else.

However, several other ponies have already seen him on the rocking chair late at night. And the gossip that he just sleeps there was further thrown into mystery by accounts that, every now and then, his pipe will light up as he puffs from it, even during the early hours of the morning.

Nopony is really sure.

But then again, old Biedde is not the only little-understood pony that has been living at the Velvet estate.

"Slave."

"Hypocrite."

The young-looking (but old-sounding) mare sits down next to the old stallion, settling down on the cushion that everypony has taken to using while visiting him.

They exchanged a few greetings words, of course. However, despite the weight behind them, there really was no malice behind them.

And it is not just that no malice was intended. Both ponies understood those words to be true, so they had greeted each other that way as if they were speaking each other's names.

On top of that, they are both too old for those kinds of games. They know they are not enemies, and their interests neither align nor clash. So, there is nothing between them but the professional respect of two ponies who share a trade.

"Quite disturbing how warped the world is, isn't it? Makes it harder to keep watch."

"I can't help but agree. The light gets ugly when it is bent like this. But still, this place has its charm, now."

"I will take your word for it."

They share a few words, every now and then. But not out of enmity, and not out of the depth of a mutual friendship.

Instead, they speak little because there is little to be shared. And also, because given the depth of their knowledge, what little words they share is more than enough to convey a lot.

"Still, quite the peculiar habits our employer has, wouldn't you say?"

"The weight of being the first in so long."

"Indeed…"

They speak very little. And yet… they stay in each other's company for a very long time.

Maybe out of nostalgia. Or maybe, as unlikely as it might be, because deep down the two of them were ponies, once. And the faint, burned, and cut-away echo of that need every pony has, to be near those who are like them, still exists somewhere inside of them.

Although that is very unlikely. If not impossible.

But still, they stay in each other's company throughout the entire night, looking down at the balcony and towards the distant horizon. Until the sun is about to rise.

"Oh, by the way, the thing you did to the little filly? I do not think her mother would appreciate it if she knew about it."

"Is that right? Well, we both know I did her a favor. And besides, she looked adorable with my cap on."

"Adorable or not, we both know what wearing your cap means. And we both know it wasn't a favor. There is only one other creature who would care about that mark, and he would see right through your intent in an instant."

"Would he now? He is not above harming the young, as we both know."

"And neither are you, or myself, or anypony whose name is worth knowing. But still, I don't speak about the mark itself. I'm speaking of the symbolism behind the action. Her mother would not appreciate you marking her daughter as a pawn."

"Pff, we are all pawns. All of us. What use is there in denying that?"

"You are right that there is none. And I am not condemning you. But still, I thought I would let you know that about our current summoner. Not that she will ever notice it, even, but she is still very protective of her young."

"Yes, I have noticed that… And much appreciated. I will take that under advisement."

The two of them continue talking, as the sun rises and begins to bathe the world in its light.

And at some point, the mare is gone, and the old stallion continues his watch.

- - -

- - -

- - -

You are Velvet Steppes.

And today is the day you die.

You are currently in one of your offices. The base of operations you keep in Manehattan. But unlike every other day, where you would be giving orders, or plotting your next move, or just doing anything at all… you are currently just sitting in your office.

You are sitting in your office. And everywhere else in your building, all your employees are doing… something. They are patrolling, or they are counting bits, or they are just nervously walking around in circles wishing they had something to do.

Because you, every last one of you, are all waiting.

You are all waiting, because you know it will happen.

You know it is coming.

You know today is the day you will all die, and that there is nothing you can do but wait for it.

It is like an unspoken agreement. A silent message you have all received, as soon as you woke up. A cold hoof on your shoulder, or an unwelcome letter on the mail, conveying a single three word message.

I am coming.

None of you know who is coming. None of you know why this is happening.

But every single one of you, from your lowliest cleaner to your personal accountant, know that it would be very rude to not be on your station once it happened. And that, even though every single one of you will die today, that it would somehow be worse if you tried to escape.

After all, trying to escape inevitability would only mean you would die tired.

So, you are all waiting. Your "guards" are waiting by the entrance, and your "counters" are waiting at the storage, and everything in your "business" is waiting like a perfectly oiled clock that is waiting for permission to begin to click.

In fact, it would not be a joke to say that today would be the most productive day of your lives, given how eager and ready you all are… if today also didn't feel like the mother of all inspections.

Today, you will all be judged.

And given the occupation you have chosen in your lives, it is only natural that you will all be found guilty.

Your thoughts are interrupted as… as the inevitable happens. Your thoughts are interrupted by the sound of somepony knocking on your door.

"Come on in", you say. And moments later, one of your henchponies walks in. Carrying his hat under his foreleg, as befitting the manners of a pony who is indoors, and sweating cold from snout to tail.

"He's here, boss," he says, with his rumbling voice.

Although you can't hear any of the intimidating edge he usually has on his voice. Which only makes sense, you know, given how terrified he is.

And for good reason.

You look at Vellum, who is sitting on one of the side chairs of your office, and the boy only returns you the glance of a pony who is lost.

No, you shouldn't be looking at him right now. You are the older pony. You are the boss. Everypony is looking at you right now, and if you crack, then you all failed.

"Let him in," you say. To which the large henchpony answers with a nod, carefully closing the door behind himself as he leaves.

And then… you just wait.

You wait, as he walks into your building.

You join everypony in collectively shivering with dread, as he makes his way up the stairs.

And it takes all the willpower you have not to flee, as he reaches your door.

Knock.

Knock.

Knock.

A trio of knocks come to your door, and you know the only reason the door did not burst open was because he did not want it to.

So, you look at Vellum, and give him a small nod.

And the boy gingerly makes his way to the door, opening it and stepping out of the way as quickly as he can.

!!!!!

The single scariest, oldest, and undoubtedly deadliest pony you have ever seen in your life is standing right outside your door.

The wrinkles on his face look like the face of a mountain, and the old uniform he wears makes him look like the constable out of a thief's worst nightmare.

His eyes, also, are impossibly cold. You think his eyebrows might have been able to hide his eyes, if he really wanted to, but right now he is all but piercing you with those glaciers that he has behind his eyelids.

He is not scowling, and you can only thank the Princesses for that. Because if he was truly scowling, if he was truly displeased, then he wouldn't even have bothered to get this close to you to begin with. Instead, his mouth is a thin line of judgment that you can scarcely describe. Like an old teacher looking at a failure, or perhaps a Lord who can only barely stand the presence of his lesser.

But still, he has not killed you yet.

So, you must continue to play your part, lest you become a rude host.

"Please, come in," you say, although your throat is so dry it is almost painful.

And the old stallion complies. He does not nod or thank you, which is only fair given how you are his lesser. Instead, he only makes his way towards you, and sits on the chair you have before your desk.

You try not to think about how every movement he does, from walking to pulling the chair, seem to be inevitable. You try not to think about how, for some reason, you already know he could crush bones or bend metal just as easily, with a movement that would be as fluid as walking or waving for somepony to come closer.

You try not to think about any of that, as he sits down and reaches for something inside his uniform.

You only wait, as he carefully brings out a long pipe from inside his jacket, and methodically lights it with an ancient pair of stones.

"I am here to collect something," he says. And you have no choice but to answer affirmatively. "Information. About my employer."

Of course, you will tell him. You will tell him whatever he wants to know.

Even though your mind is too numb and terrified to even consider the fact that you have no idea of who he is, and that you can't even begin to guess who his "employer" might be, you will still give him what he wants.

This old stallion will have it his way. It is inevitable.

"I have recently come under the employment of one Velvet Covers," he says, taking a long drag out of his pipe, and puffing it out in a plume of smoke. "You will tell me everything you know about her."

And your heart… you aren't even sure of how that is possible, but your heart becomes even colder than it was before. The dread on your back becomes even heavier.

Because several questions come to your mind at the same time. What does he mean about this? How did he meet your niece? What in Celestia's sun does he mean by employment?

He is not lying. You know that. You know that he is capable of lying, like only the very cunning can. But still, you know he is not lying.

However, how… how?! How? And why? And what does this mean? And is she safe?!

You do not know. You do not know, and you cannot know. Not now. Not as you walk down the death row and towards your execution.

So, you do the only thing that is possible, under these circumstances.

You give him what he wants.

"Yes, yes, of course. I will tell you everything…" you say, feeling yourself age an entire day with every passing second, with how much pressure you are feeling. "Boy, leave us. I w-" you start telling Vellum to leave.

"The boy stays."

But he immediately interrupts you. And Vellum's hind practically slams back into his seat as soon as he hears those words. The two of you know that it is impossible for Vellum to stand up from his seat now, and that to even think about it would be a death sentence.

So, you…

Well, you…

You really, truly, absolutely do not have any options left.

You just… begin to speak.

- - -

You tell him everything. Everything you know, and even some things you are not sure about. You tell him everything, and he silently absorbs all your words.

And then, you fall silent. You just wait for what comes next.

Until slowly, so very slowly, the old stallion nods to himself.

And you almost close your eyes, so you can die in peace, as he gets up from his chair. But ultimately, you decide to face your executioner with dignity, and you look him straight in the eyes as you prepare for what comes next.

"Very well," he says. Right before he takes his pipe out of his mouth, and carefully stores it back in his coat. "That is all."

He says that and he…

… he begins to leave?

Your eyes are not deceiving you. He definitely just turned around so he can leave. And just like it would be impossible to stop him if he had decided to kill you, you also know it is impossible to stop him from leaving.

Because once that old stallion declares something, or makes a decision, there is nothing else that can be done.

But still, you can't help yourself. In fact, as suicidal as it might be, the words leap out of your mouth before you can stop them.

"W-wait!" you say.

Although you immediately regret it. Because your words make the stallion stop, and his lethal attention once again falls upon you.

Still, you carry on.

"Are… are we not going to die? Is… will we live past today?" you ask. Your words heavy with anxiety, your hoofs shaking under your legs.

And when the old stallion once again moves his cold, cold eyes towards you, you think he is about to give you the answer you had been expecting all along.

But to your absolute surprise… and to your absolute relief, he answers that…

"No."

And it takes everything you have to not just sag on your chair, or perhaps for your heart not to just stop beating due to the previous strain you were under.

"I am not here to clean up, though I would if ordered," he says, and the indifference in his voice makes him more scarier than any level of hatred would ever be capable of. "And besides, your grandniece spoke well of you. Her company has earned you a stay of execution."

He just says that, and then he moves to leave. This time, in a way you would not be able to stop even if you tried.

And then you… you…

You try to think about… you try to comprehend what just…

And your body was so tense before that it is almost painful to feel your muscles relax and…

And then he is gone.

Just an old stallion making the rounds. Just another old -so very old- creature looking around this new Wake. Nothing more, nothing less, and nothing worth noting.

The "mark" was just a little thing that stuck to Silky's head, after she wore his cap, like a splotch of ink or a speck of dirt. Nothing Velvet would ever notice, and nothing to be worried about.

Still, it was something that those with eyes could see, and a reminder that Velvet can't see everything that happens in the Wake.

Voting is now OPEN, for what Biedde is to do this turn. Since it is a single option to be picked, no moratorium is needed.

Last edited:
Frankly Baldomare Sacrament is kind of useless now, we can just pay scholars to translate stuff, if not just give the books to Cadance, and have her people translate it for free, she can call it the best experts in Equestra easily. We are in the upper echelons of power for a major country, stuff like tranlating text is for people with specialized knowledge, lower on the overall totem poll.
Well, I think it may be a bit more metaphorical/mystical than that. There are some languages in the Secret Histories setting that can only be spoken and written in very specific ways (like Killasimi being written in thread that's built specifically to cause sorrow) that random scholars probably wouldn't easily piece together. If nothing else, some languages may simply be too extinct to learn about in any way other than the Lores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back