• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

"I, um. I am still legally married."

"Oh, I thought-?"

"We are not 'together', but my… In my country, we don't have divorce."

Let me guess, he believed the whole eye gouging thing was perfectly fine and saw nothing wrong with it?

'be an'

The affect can't last;

maybe 'effect'

seventh the volume of the universe is me

maybe 'of the volume'

'FTL'

Jumping from an Earth war to the start of an interstellar war. I mean the Sheeda and the Reach have a lot of interchangeable horribleness. When Paul met the Darkstars on mission for the first time it came out the Reach turned one species into living computer systems for them so the same 'sentient resources' thing needs to be stomped on.

Last edited:
Let me guess, he believed the whole eye gouging thing was perfectly fine and saw nothing wrong with it?

He just didn't have proper foresight, wasn't a man of true vision. Couldn't see the end result of his choices, so made poor ones. He really should have tried to view it from another perspective instead of being blind to the monstrousness of it all. Wasn't as on the ball as Paul.

Oh god I'm so sorry I don't know what came over me.

He just didn't have proper foresight, wasn't a man of true vision. Couldn't see the end result of his choices, so made poor ones. He really should have tried to view it from another perspective instead of being blind to the monstrousness of it all. Wasn't as on the ball as Paul.

Oh god I'm so sorry I don't know what came over me.
GIVE ME MORE

3rd July 2012
10:25 GMT -5

The L.E.G.I.O.N. diplomatic officer who had been going to conduct the tour for Alan and Jay hurries off after them, while Lantern Coutara leads me further into the ship.
Sounds like the Old Men want to have a look around at their pace. Or are pointedly giving OL some alone time with an attractive lady a senior operative... Entirely sensible, they've surely worked with intelligence agency spooks in their time.

"Did you arrive with the fleet?"

"No. With a courier vessel that set out shortly afterwards."
Any reason she didn't come under her own FTL? Was her avarice too low to get much speed or was she not sure of being able to maintain that focus for long enough?

"Will you be staying on? Earth is a highly varied environment for gaining new skills and equipment."

"Would..? They let me learn magic, do you think?"
Ah, someone actually looking to expand their skillset beyond ringslinging? :eek: Wonder of wonders! And yes, Earth is a bit of a Monty Haul dungeon zone.

"There's no law against teaching aliens magic. I'm not sure how easy you'll find it to get a teacher, and I don't know whether or not your species can learn Earth magic. I can talk to King Cyprian about putting you in touch with someone, if you'd like."

"Thank you. I would like that."
It'll be an interesting experiment, if nothing else. After all, have there been any characters not born on Earth who learned magic there?

"What brought this on?"

"You are asking me this after you fought and destroyed the monster than fed upon my mothers' eyes?"
Ah, taking a lesson to heart through experience. I'm sure OL will approve.

"Technically speaking, we don't know that it was feeding. And, yes. Asking people why they think that they're doing things is one of my techne."

A door opens at our approach, and closes immediately after we pass through. I note as we pass a group of relief pilots that this ship appears to be mostly crewed by humanoids, with none of the clickers I've grown accustomed to having around. Interesting choice. I wonder why it worked out like that?
Perhaps a decision by Dox? He can probably guess that Humans won't have much experience with non-humanoid aliens. So why invite xenophobia when you don't have to?

"If one of my people had known as much about magic as the archmages you brought with you, we could have dealt with it ourselves. And we could have ended the barbarism that governed our lives."

"I'm afraid that if you want to train an archmage, you start their education as a child."
You never know, she may take to it like a duck to water.And ring-aided learning has some interesting possibilities.

"And that is why I brought my daughter. But I want to learn a little of as many things as I can. I don't have the same drive to violent conflict that many Orange Lanterns have. But you wrote that you valued the capacity to study a situation and fix it in whatever way it can be fixed. If I learn a little magic, even if I cannot become an archmage myself, I can learn what can be achieved with magic, and call for magic aid when I am in a situation where that is appropriate."
Honestly, that lack of wanting battle makes her much more useful outside of a warzone than in. And I see OL's comportment manual has spread through the core. I wonder how many are taking its lessons seriously?

"And that's what you want to be able to do? Your final build is as a Jill of all trades?"

"I believe that it will be."
But by that same extent, Mistress of none. But she'll likely have OL's special move: Contact Expert Ally. :p

I fly past her and turn to face her, prompting her to stop walking. Then I embrace her, arms around her chest and head over her left shoulder.

"That's wonderful!" I pull back slightly. "Those are just the skills needed for Sector Lantern-"
My, he's taking that revelation very well. He's that glad someone's following his logical path? :eek: Also, personal space, Illustres!

"Ah, my Lord?"

"-needs, and I'm glad that some Lanterns are looking beyond the current war."
I'm guessing he was despairing that no-one would think outside the box shaped like 'Ring-wielding Soldier.'

"You embraced me."

I check that my arms still exist.
Hey, if she objected that much, she's have made that clear. Like she did to the priests back home.

"Yes." I let go. "Is that a problem?"

"It is-. Where I am from, it is-. It was unusual for a man to embrace a woman he was not…" Oh dear. "'Attached' to."
x3 Dammit, OL! Stepping hip deep in the social faux pas again!

"But you understand that wasn't what-"

"Yes! Yes."
Thank Ophidian for that. She could probably see he had no desire for her. Joy of dealing with an experienced adult.

"-I meant by-. Good. Not that you're unappealing, but I'm unavailable. Of course, if you're looking, humans are humanoid and don't have any problem with the idea of being involved with aliens."

"I, um. I am still legally married."
Really? she didn't deal with her jackass of a husband? Then again, I suppose he wasn't the one in charge of the whole system. He was just a victim of religious indoctrination...

"Oh, I thought-?"

Well, isn't that just prime. Understandable though, given the likely dependence the women would have on fathers, brother, husbands or sons...

"Maltus does. And since I literally killed your country's god, I'm pretty sure I have the authority to divorce you myself."

"I don't think that Jerrd would agree to that."
My dear, you are a post-scarcity society by yourself. Does his opinion really matter that much to you? Do you really still have feelings for him after everything? o_O I suppose there's no accounting for the heart.

"Okay, this sounds like a cultural difference we should probably talk about at length… But there's a message from Dox?"

"Yes. This way."
Back on topic. At least she dealt with his little boundary-leapiing better than most.

After clearly overstepping my bounds I decide to.. keep quiet, until we arrive at what my records say should be a equipment storage locker. The outline is correct, but the interior has been replaced with some highly sophisticated anti-intrusion equipment. If I recognise the machine correctly, anyone inside its effect radius will effectively be in a tiny synthetic parallel universe.
And here we thought Earth had the monopoly on hyper-advanced technology bullshit? :rolleyes: How naive.

"In here?"

She nods, and we both step inside the circle described by the device. Them she activates it.
Activate the cone of silence! ...I do hope it works better than that bit of madness...

The edge of the universe is turquoise in colour, and only a metre away. The affect can't last; it's a fundamentally limited technology, or the Reach would use these devices as traps. Still, the idea that a seventh the volume of the universe is me amuses me.

"Clarissi Dox wants you to return to Maltus at once."
And this required a personal messenger? Or is she going to be Lantern-on-duty while he's away? Certainly a better option than Manga Khan, definitely.

And he couldn't just send a ring message?

"Of course. Did he say 'why'?"
Clearly whatever the reason, it's very, very sensitive, and he wants to maintain intelligence security... We can expect the Reach to be able to intercept Ring transmissions, then.

"The war with the Reach will begin soon. And by 'soon', he meant almost as soon as you return."

I.. frown. "I.. receive readiness reports. We're.. no where near ready to engage in all-out hostilities."
Unless he needs a specific skillset for a very specific objective. In which case, why OL? :p

Unless the reports I've been getting were wrong. Which wouldn't astonish me. Ring-to-ring communications are generally regarded as being inviolable, but Dox wouldn't be Dox if he took risks like that.

"Clarissi Dox believes that a show of force is necessary to bring doubters on board with our military alliance."
Ah, NEMO is indulging in some saber-rattling. I have the feeling, based on the episode title, that things aren't going to go as well as Dox expects them too...

I nod. "The Reach don't really care about their outer worlds. We can overrun one or two that aren't completely converted, use our best deprogramming techniques on the population and set them up as a forward operating base. If we share recordings of what we're doing, we demonstrate that we can effectively follow through on our promises, and the Reach won't really care about their loss. We'll have to double down on our home…" She's shaking her head. "Security."
That's not going to do it, I guess. Sniping at the edges won't show they have the power or will to hit the Reach hard...

"We will not be striking at a outer world. He intends for us to strike at an mid-sphere reserve fleet base."

"I see."
Oh, boy. That'll shake up the cold war. Dox had better be damn sure he knows what he's doing...

The Reach limit the level of force they keep on the outskirts of their territory as a token compliance to the terms of their agreement with the Guardians. But worlds that are fully 'converted' can have full fleet compliments stationed there, which can strike outwards 'in protection of trade'. Those aren't single cruisers or armed merchantmen. Those are proper warships, with fixed defences, garrisons and a dozen or so scarab warriors.
In other words, not as big a pushover as a Reach 'diplomatic' fleet. They're going to need their best to deal with the Scarabs, thus why OL's being called in...

Of course, if we do take it, a huge section of the outer sphere suddenly has no support. If we set up ftl jammers, they won't even be able to retreat. There might be an issue with a Reach Reserve Fleet from their inner worlds making an issue of things, but it's…

The turquoise universe evaporates, returning us to the communications room with the gently smouldering equipment.
And then it'll be scowling at each other over a hard border, waiting for the other nation to blink... This really could go very badly, indeed.

"Interesting. Please pass on my apologies to Alan and Jay."

I raise my right hand to my forehead

and step out
Taking the direct route right to Dox's desk, I expect. And a very loud discussion...

Well, Dox clearly believes in 'go big or go home' when it comes to military operations. IT expect tomorrow's segment is going to be very interesting to read, just for the calm and sensible discussion OL is about to have with Dox...;)

...the monster than fed upon my mothers' eyes?
...the monster that fed upon my mothers' eyes?
"Those are just the skills needed for Sector Lantern-"
"
-needs, and I'm glad that some Lanterns are looking beyond the current war."
Might need rewording there, if he's continuing that train of thought without pausing.
"We will not be striking at a outer world. He intends for us to strike at an mid-sphere reserve fleet base.
"We will not be striking at an outer world. He intends for us to strike at a mid-sphere reserve fleet base.

Was the Eye-Gouger People planet a comic book thing? What issue was it?

Just some side planet Atrocitus spent a page or two venting at. Not sure what issue though.

It was issue 4 of Red Lantern, the n52 comic.

Atrocitus basically does something similar that OL did when searching recruits, listening for people's rage.

He destroyed a temple on that planet.

In that issue Ratchet, the hugging jelly fish from space, showed up.

I don't see why they needed the security precaution of the pocket universe at all, unless it was a test of the system or something. Why not just ask or order Paragon to report to Dox? Everyone in charge presumably knows about his super-teleportation.

I don't see why they needed the security precaution of the pocket universe at all, unless it was a test of the system or something. Why not just ask or order Paragon to report to Dox? Everyone in charge presumably knows about his super-teleportation.

Dox strikes me as being fairly paranoid, so maybe he thought it would be sensible to do this.

It may not seem like it to us, but either Dox sees something that we don't, or it doesn't make much sense, but paranoid people aren't always known for making logical decisions, even if they're highly intelligent.

He should have been a more studious pupil of moral philosophy. Maybe then he would have realised that women would want to lash out at the people that harmed them. He should have realised he was being eye-ful, he ocular have known better. He could have checked if women were all-white with the vision-ious treatment they were getting. He should have known it was a tear-able idea.

I'm not sorry. You literally asked for it. :)

being fairly paranoid
I'm not sure that paranoid really applies in this case. Dox knows the Reach are out to get him. I'd call him sensibly cautious.
paranoid people aren't always known for making logical decisions, even if they're highly intelligent.
True. Your words reminded me of an ex-friend of mine when I was at University. He was a medical student so both much smarter and more diligent than I was. He succumbed to paranoid delusions after a bad break-up and everyone who tried to help him was pushed away and labeled (in his mind) as part of the problem. Now I'm sad again. :(

Why not just ask or order Paragon to report to Dox?

Because OL would just ring him to see what he wants? 'You're not the boss of me Dox.'

Also did OL forget he promised to introduce the Eye Lady Lantern to Cyprian? He just greedported out and for all we know he won't return to Earth until Season 2 plotlines start.

Last edited:
He should have been a more studious pupil of moral philosophy. Maybe then he would have realised that women would want to lash out at the people that harmed them. He should have realised he was being eye-ful, he ocular have known better. He could have checked if women were all-white with the vision-ious treatment they were getting. He should have known it was a tear-able idea.

I'm not sorry. You literally asked for it. :)
This brings me great joy.

I suspect Dox is right in this instance. The Reach have been marching on steadily for centuries and everyone is used to that. It's going to take something big to snap everyone out of it.

Why not just ask or order Paragon to report to Dox?
If Dox believes that communications may be bugged, then it only makes sense to try to avoid the Reach being alerted that Dox has a reason to reactivate one of the Corps' stronger assets. In military strategy you want to keep deployment secret to the extent possible so that your enemies don't set up a trap for you when you move. Even though the Reach may know about Paul's speed, an attack of the scale planned requires co-ordinating with slower forces, so if they know Paul's coming, the amount of warning they'd get to prepare for him could be substantially longer than his personal travel time.

But worlds that are fully 'converted' can have full fleet compliments stationed there
Correction: complement not compliment

Thank you, corrected.
Any reason she didn't come under her own FTL? Was her avarice too low to get much speed or was she not sure of being able to maintain that focus for long enough?
Yes. The SI is very fast. Most Lanterns are far slower, sufficiently slow that a dedicated high speed vessel will probably be faster.
...the monster that fed upon my mothers' eyes?
Might need rewording there, if he's continuing that train of thought without pausing.
"We will not be striking at an outer world. He intends for us to strike at a mid-sphere reserve fleet base.
Thank you, corrected.
Also did OL forget he promised to introduce the Eye Lady Lantern to Cyprian? He just greedported out and for all we know he won't return to Earth until Season 2 plotlines start.
Not at all, but direct orders from Dox take priority.
Correction: complement not compliment
Thank you, corrected.

Plus the guy can literally teleport back in an instant whenever he wants.

Dox won't let him. He sent him back to Earth because OL and his great orange snake were making it impossible for Dox to show everyone who's in charge. But as soon as he sent him there one disaster after another struck, necessitating sending away Dox's Lanterns to Earth only for them to witness OL being OL. So what's a man green skinned alien supposed to do in this situation? The person who hired him to lead the Corps keeps showing off and stealing his thunder. Well he could keep inventing threats and missions that 'only OL could do'. I expect every time OL resolves some mess he will be sent away on a new side-quest (including but not limited to coffee runs, picking up Dox's dry cleaning, scanning asteroid belts for specific obscure minerals and what not). All 'vitally important to the war effort'.

By the time OL gets some time off he'll realise that Season 3 plotlines are already wrapping up. And that the people of Earth forgot all about the Cake Guy's accomplishments ("'Orange Lantern'? Which one? There's a bunch of them. Thank god for that Dox fellow.").

*All of the above was a joke*

"Maltus does. And since I literally killed your country's god, I'm pretty sure I have the authority to divorce you myself."

"I don't think that Jerrd would agree to that."

Look I'm personally taken, got a girlfriend, and I'm not really looking for more relationships...

But I did help a warrior priestess island hook up all the women, and I'm about to help your whole society be able to divorce so that more people can hook up as well... Maybe I should contact Jade because I seem to be really trying to set myself up with a harem here.

If OL stays involved in the war for a long stretch of time, right after Earth got hit by the Sheeda, there is a huge potential for shit to hit the fan while he is away.

Zoat, what was your policy on medium to major time jumps again?

Activate the cone of silence! ...I do hope it works better than that bit of madness...
I get that reference. "Get Smart" was such a great show. 1960's-1970's comedy spy show. Agent 69 (Mr. 'Smart') and the much more competent Agent 99.

So many of the silly novelty gadgets would be easy to make now. The shoe phone would be less practical than a normal smart phone. Ah, so many good memories of watching Nick-at-Night (reruns of old TV shows, it came on Nickelodeon..... at Night).

I recommend people look it up. Just remember, old shows were not meant to be binged. Watch a couple episodes a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back