• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

"Alright maggots, listen up. Ranx's about to teach you the Pecking Order. It goes: you, the dirt, the worms inside of the dirt, Ranx's stool, the stationmaster, then Ranx. Any questions?"

DrThoth: Yeah I have one... Ahhhhh(falls out of station)

Ranx: Enjoy the climb back up, bitch.

Sorry DrThoth I couldn't resist.

"Alright maggots, listen up. Ranx's about to teach you the Pecking Order. It goes: you, the dirt, the worms inside of the dirt, Ranx's stool, the stationmaster, then Ranx. Any questions?"

Ranx in war sounds so fun.

"HAHAHAHAHAHA! I WILL CRUSH WHATEVER REACH BUG DECIDES TO CHALLENGE RANX! SUCK MY STARSHIP BALLS!"

i like the feel of the actual meeting at the end-
no ego or powerplays/frustration between Dox's and OL's difference styles/personalites, just dropping immediately into focus on the bigger issues/pictures- just like you'd expect when you're on the eve of a war

Barda is the New Goddess of Pass?

[Word of God: Accepted. Domain: Assigned]

verb
verb: pass; 3rd person present: passes; past tense: passed; past participle: passed; gerund or present participle: passing
move or cause to move in a specified direction.
"he passed through towns and villages"
Similar:
go
proceed
move
progress
make one's way
travel
drive
fly
run
flow
course
stream
roll
drift
sweep
Opposite:
halt
stop
change from one state or condition to another.
"homes that have passed from public to private ownership"
EUPHEMISTIC•NORTH AMERICAN
die (used euphemistically).
"his father had passed to the afterlife"
go past or across; leave behind or on one side in proceeding.
"the two vehicles had no room to pass each other"
go beyond the limits of; surpass or exceed.
"this item has passed its sell-by date"
Similar:
surpass
exceed
go beyond
transcend
outdo
surmount
outstrip
TENNIS
hit a winning shot past (an opponent).
(of time or a point in time) elapse; go by.
"the day and night passed slowly"
Similar:
elapse
go by
go past
proceed
progress
advance
wear on
slip by
slip away
roll by
glide by
tick by
spend or use up (a period of time).
"this was how they passed the time"
Similar:
occupy
spend
fill
use (up)
employ
devote
take up
while away
beguile
kill
waste
fritter
dissipate
come to an end.
"the danger had passed"
Similar:
come to an end
cease to exist
fade
fade away
melt away
blow over
run its course
ebb
die out
evaporate
vanish
peter out
draw to a close
disappear
finish
end
cease
terminate
evanish
happen; be done or said.
"not another word passed between them"
Similar:
happen
occur
take place
come about
transpire
befall
eventuate
go unnoticed
go unheeded
stand
go
be accepted
go unremarked
go undisputed
go uncensored
transfer (something) to someone, especially by handing or bequeathing it to the next person in a series.
"your letter has been passed to Mr. Rich for action"
Similar:
hand
let someone have
give
hand over
hand around
reach
transfer
convey
deliver
throw
toss
chuck
bung
be transferred from one person or place to another, especially by inheritance.
"if Ann remarried the estate would pass to her new husband"
Similar:
be transferred
be made over
be turned over
be signed over
go
devolve
be left
be bequeathed
be handed down/on
be given
be consigned
be passed on
(in football, soccer, hockey, and other games) throw, kick, or hit (the ball or puck) to another player on one's own team.
"his intent was to pass the ball forward rather than knock it back"
Similar:
kick
hit
throw
head
lob
loft
put (something, especially money) into circulation.
"persons who have passed bad checks"
(especially of money) circulate; be current.
"cash was passing briskly"
(of a candidate) be successful in (an examination, test, or course).
"she passed her driving test"
Similar:
be successful in
succeed in
gain a pass in
get through
come through
meet the requirements of
pass muster in
qualify
graduate
come up to scratch in
come up to snuff in
sail through
scrape through
Opposite:
fail
judge the performance or standard of (someone or something) to be satisfactory.
"he was passed fit by army doctors"
be accepted as adequate; go uncensured.
"she couldn't agree, but let it pass"
(of a legislative or other official body) approve or put into effect (a proposal or law) by voting on it.
"the bill was passed despite fierce opposition"
(of a proposal or law) be examined and approved by (a legislative body or process).
"the Bill passed by 164 votes to 107"
Similar:
approve
vote for
accept
ratify
adopt
carry
agree to
authorize
sanction
endorse
validate
legalize
put into effect
enact
OK
Opposite:
reject
pronounce (a judgment or judicial sentence).
"passing judgment on these crucial issues"
Similar:
declare
pronounce
utter
express
deliver
issue
set forth
utter (something, especially criticism).
"she would pass remarks about the Paxtons in their own house"
ARCHAIC
adjudicate or give a judgment on a matter.
"a jury could not be trusted to pass upon the question of Endicott's good faith"
discharge (something, especially urine or feces) from the body.
"frequency of passing urine"
Similar:
discharge
excrete
eliminate
evacuate
expel
emit
void
release
let out
forgo one's turn in a game or an offered opportunity.
"we pass on dessert and have coffee"
(of a company) not declare or pay (a dividend).
"the company has already passed its interim dividend"
BRIDGE
make no bid when it is one's turn during an auction.
"South bids 1NT. North passes"
noun
noun: pass; plural noun: passes
an act or instance of moving past or through something.
"repeated passes with the swipe card"
an act of passing the hands over anything, as in conjuring or hypnotism.
a thrust in fencing.
a juggling trick.
BRIDGE
an act of refraining from bidding during the auction.
COMPUTING
a single scan through a set of data or a program.
a successful completion of an examination or course.
"a 100 percent pass rate"
US
the grade indicating the successful completion of an examination or course.
BRITISH
an achievement of a university degree without honors.
"a pass degree"
a card, ticket, or permit giving authorization for the holder to enter or have access to a place, form of transportation, or event.
"a bus pass"
Similar:
permit
warrant
authorization
license
passport
visa
safe conduct
exeat
free ticket
free admission
complimentary ticket
laissez-passer
(in football, soccer, hockey, and other games) an act of throwing, kicking, or hitting the ball or puck to another player on the same team.
"his cross-field pass to Giggs"
Similar:
kick
hit
throw
shot
header
INFORMAL
an amorous or sexual advance made to someone.
"she made a pass at Stephen"
Similar:
make sexual advances to
make advances to
make sexual overtures to
proposition
make a sexual approach to
come on to
make a play for
hit on
make time with
put the make on
make love to
a state or situation of a specified, usually bad or difficult, nature.
"things came to such a pass that these gentlemen sat coldly at the meetings not daring to speak out freely and honestly"
Similar:
be in a worrying state
be in a sad plight
be in troubled circumstances
be in dire straits
be in a pickle/hole
INFORMAL•US
a rejection or dismissal.
"those who don't like oily food may want to give this a pass"
BRIDGE
an act of refraining from bidding during the auction.
exclamation
exclamation: pass
said when one does not know the answer to a question, for example in a quizzing game.
"to the enigmatic question we answered "Pass.""
INFORMAL•US
used to express rejection or dismissal.
"the shepherd's pie looks gross. Pass!"

Which definition?
My personal pick would be Noun 7: Rejection or Dismissal.

She is the one who having been raised by Granny Goodness to be a Fury, was able to reject her upbringing to become something else.

Over Reaching (part 5)
3rd July 2012
10:38 GMT -5

Sounded easy when Dox described it. And I suppose that not giving me any practice at all certainly prevents the Reach from knowing about it.

The impeller sublight drives all the ships of the strike force have been equipped with make leaving dock and forming up an impressively rapid affair. None of that messing around with gas or plasma thrusters less advanced navies are forced to engage in. And now that I know it's there, I can.. sort of

feel

what the archmages have done to the ships to make them compatible. It certainly feels like I should be able to do what Dox asks, and if we can get a smaller ship with this setup it will certainly make it easier for Jade to visit Earth. But I'm slightly worried that he's overestimating me.

The people on those ships have.. similar desires. And the spells are far more sophisticated versions of the ones which the archmages used to keep themselves safe. That will keep the objects I bring with me whole. There are Orange Lanterns on those ships, and honestly the

feedback I'm getting

makes me think that's going to make it easier. Though they might have to recharge their rings immediately upon our arrival.

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Feel the Reach planet. That's simple enough; Dox gave me a precise description and I know the general shape of Reach desires. Interesting that they've never thought to include magic defences, but I suppose if the planet is mystically inert it would be rather difficult.

"Illustres, all ships are in position. Begin."

I didn't seek Dox out for his winning personal skills. And let's be honest: Hinon didn't seek me out for mine.

I don't send out filaments, not for this. Instead, the region of space we're in glows orange, and the Lanterns on board raise their now-glowing rings in surprise.

I focus on the shared desires of the crew, the Lanterns and the links between those things and the desires of the Reach sapients at the far end. I suppose that 'Priest' did give me a little practice, but the magic making the ships work as a single object with their crews makes the whole thing feel quite noticeably… Off. Still, I'm as ready as I'm going to get.

And we're… In. The crew shouldn't be experiencing anything very much. The Lanterns might, and we'll have to follow up on that to make sure that there aren't any undesirable side effects. Concept to.. concept, shared desires showing the way through metaphorical space. I could make this journey myself in a moment, but making sure that everyone else comes along with me is making me take things a little easier.

Alright, we're in the general area of the target desire set. Make sure to appear a little way away, because we're going to be jamming hard but need to pick our targets and reorganise at the far end. And quite possibly recover. There's absolutely no way for me to warn people in advance, so

back into normal space we go.

I feel a momentary pang of relief as all of the ships reappear, and another as the automatic FTL jammers activate and the ships carrying them move towards the centre of the formation. The ships didn't remain the same distance away from each other, probably due to similarities and differences-

Dox sends out a request for all ships to report status. It's not directed at me.

-in their desires. Orange Lanterns begin leaving the ships a moment later and I scan the system.

Two rocky planets orbiting close to the sun. Two gas giants with numerous large moons a little further out and a ball of ice with delusions of grandeur… Not all that far away from us, actually.

Ship beam weapons begin firing at the sensor nodes and jammers seeded throughout the system. They're fragile and will be cheap to replace, but destroying them will slightly degrade the Reach fleet's performance. And speaking of the Reach, the ships on patrol of the system are heading in towards the fleet base on the largest of the inner gas giant's moons. The closer ones are trying to head directly away from the L.E.G.I.O.N. fleet in different directions, presumably planning to fly at best sub-light speed to the edge of our jammers to alert other Reach assets as to what's going on.

Of course, a position going silent is probably going to prompt investigation anyway.

Lanterns start forming up around the ships, and I can feel their eagerness, their readiness to destroy whatever Reach assets they can get hold of. But… These aren't the highest performing Lanterns. No, those are being left to make attacks of opportunity if openings appear in the outer parts of the Reach defence network. These appear to have been chosen for strength. They're people who would gladly die if it meant taking a Scarab Warrior with them.

"All ships report readiness. Advance, Lanterns to the van."

I nod and accelerate towards the fleet base, making sure to remain in the general vicinity of the ships. Out of curiosity I try a minor warp and find that the texture of space is unusually inflexible here. I'm confident that I could overpower the jammers with brute force, but it would certainly consume quite a lot of energy and my speed-

"Clarissi to Illustres."

-would be lower than usual.

"Responding."

"Are you able to continue participating?"

"Fit as a fiddle and raring to go."

"Take a small group of Lanterns and destroy the runners."

"On it."

Ring, personnel files.

Compliance.

And I'll take a look… Who is nearly overwhelmed with the need to kill Reach citizens right now? Whose self-control is threatened? Who might break discipline and come along anyway if I don't call them?

"Lantern Light-Click Quiet-Cough Rasp."

Shared desires severed as his Darkstar team is slain in combat with a Scarab. He wants that Scarab to be here, but will settle for fighting them later.

"Lantern Velus."

Just can't stop killing people.

"Lantern Brobranbrak."

Pride. This one hates the Controllers for giving zhe's people shelter almost as much as zhe hates the Reach for putting them in a position where they need it. Zhe desires to rule in the Reach's place once they're destroyed.

"With me."

They peel away as the other Lanterns form up into a skirmish line ahead of the fleet, and head in my direction. Lantern Brobranbrak's ring glows brighter as zhe tries to bypass the intervening space in some way, and zhe's spines flex angrily when the jammers prevent it.

"The Reach has substantial experience in fighting Lanterns. Don't assume that your preferred techniques will work unopposed."

"Yours did."

"I didn't get made Illustres for my pretty face. Though I'm perfectly happy to tutor you if you want to try and replicate my feats."

Pride. Brobranbrak hates an alien offering to help as an act of charity, but assumes that zhe will have to kill me eventually anyway meaning that there's no lasting harm in accepting.

Dox…

"We're going after that ship there." I accelerate. "Please let me know if I'm going too fast."

Last edited:
I suppose that 'Priest' did give me a little practice, but the magic making the ships work as a single object with their crews makes the whole thing feel quite noticeably… Off.
Who's Paul referring to here when he says 'Priest'?

Pride. This one hates the Controllers for giving zhe's people shelter almost as much as zhe hates the Reach for putting them in a position where they need it. Zhe desires to rule in the Reach's place once they're destroyed.

"With me."

They peel away as the other Lanterns form up into a skirmish line ahead of the fleet, and head in my direction. Lantern Brobranbrak's ring glows brighter as zhe tried to bypass the intervening space in some way, and zhe's spines flex angrily when the jammers prevent it.

"The Reach has substantial experience in fighting Lanterns. Don't assume that your preferred techniques will work unopposed."

"Yours did."

"I didn't get made Illustres for my pretty face. Though I'm perfectly happy to tutor you if you want to try and replicate my feats."

Pride. Brobranbrak hates an alien offering to help as an act of charity, but assumes that zhe will have to kill me eventually anyway meaning that there's no lasting harm in accepting.

Dox…

"We're going after that ship there." I accelerate. "Please let me know if I'm going too fast."
A problem for another time. I'm honestly kinda amused this person honestly thinks zhe stands a chance of ruling after the Reach is gone, unless zhe's very long lived, or that zhe can take on Paul. Also, is 'zhe' a pronoun for that Lantern's species?

The SI has Zero ability to complain here.

He should have kept recruiting using the Honden to find people this entire time and not left Dox to do it. He shouldn't have left to 'let Dox establish himself'. If Dox can't establish himself as a leader with the SI around then he doesn't deserved to be the leader. Chief Strategist, War Master, Logistics Advisor? Sure.

Leader of the Orange Lantern Corp? No.

Of course a Logic Monster is going to just look for people with useful desires to give rings.

EDIT: The SI should be FAR more involved in the Orange Lantern Corp. In universe.

Hopefully this is a wakeup call to the SI to take his part in the OLC more seriously.

A problem for another time. I'm honestly kinda amused this person honestly thinks zhe stands a chance of ruling after the Reach is gone, unless zhe's very long lived, or that zhe can take on Paul. Also, is 'zhe' a pronoun for that Lantern's species?

OL could just be using it in a general nonbinary use instead of being specis specific.

I might have missed it, but I didn't read any of that as Paul complaining, or anything indicating that he was unhappy with the situation.

Dox has basically chosen Suicide (Bombers) Lanterns for this mission.

The fact that any of those exist in the OLC is stupid.

It's almost like Orange Light is something that tends to attract nutjobs or something?

The SI is perfectly capable of finding people with 'stable' desires and capable of also guiding lanterns towards better ways of realizing their desires.

Dox just wants people to fight in the war.

EDIT: Of course, this is if the SI was actually involved with recruiting (other than the like 6 Lanterns he's recruited) and training (he's only done one class a while ago and it's never been mentioned again).

EDIT 2:
Useful Desires do not necessarily equal Strong Desires, kinda hoping some of Paul's recruits fall short because they don't have the necessary avarice to make the ring work.
He wouldn't have found them in the Honden if they weren't at least capable of having strong desires.

Also, one of the things in this story is that the SI PUSHES is that Strong Desire =/= Good Lantern/Strong Lantern.

Wanting TOO much or in the wrong (dead end) ways lead to bad Orange Lantern.

Last edited:

The guy that trapped Malvolio in his prison.

He's a Green Lantern, or was one.

He showed up in the last episode.

Zhe is used as a gender neutral pronoun in the trans community.

So this Lantern most likely doesn't have a male or female gender.

It could be either the closest translation in English for how zhe's supposed to be referred as, or OL chose to use it himself.

At least its better than calling said Lantern 'it'.

Dox has basically chosen Suicide (Bombers) Lanterns for this mission.

The fact that any of those exist in the OLC is stupid.

The SI is perfectly capable of finding people with 'stable' desires and capable of also guiding lanterns towards better ways of realizing their desires.

Dox just wants people to fight in the war.

EDIT: Of course, this is if the SI was actually involved with recruiting (other than the like 6 Lanterns he's recruited) and training (he's only done one class a while ago and it's never been mentioned again).

EDIT 2:

He wouldn't have found them in the Honden if they weren't at least capable of having strong desires.

Also, one of the things the SI PUSHES is that Strong Desire =/= Good Lantern/Strong Lantern.

Wanting TOO much or in the wrong (dead end) ways lead to bad Orange Lantern.
Well...they need those. Lots of them. Given that they can keep creating rings, people with the ability to wield them against the Reach aren't going to be in short supply. This is a war. You can expect casualties. The nice thing about an army of orange lanterns is that all of them want to be fighting it, by definition.

Man, this is a nice reminder that OL had to find a super genius to make his Corps work in a useful amd productive manner. Finding people who want to do what you want them to do isnt easy, much less finding ones who want strong enough to work a ring. Add in the fact that this mission called for power over stability, and you are almost guaranteed that none of them are particularly sane, even by Orange Lantern standards.

It'll take OL years if not decades to find and train enough people to fight a war who are long term stable. Even then, trying to keep everyone on the same page will be like herding cats. Cats with warp drives.

I do wonder what OL's long term solution to this will be though. I just hope he doesn't expect Dox to take any criticisms well.

The retired Green Lantern from the previous episode.
At least some of them. Not all apparently humanoid species have the same sets of genitals.
I think that's alright.
threaten -> threatened
Thank you, corrected.
'journey myself in moments' or 'a moment' not 'moment'
Thank you, corrected.
'a Scarab Warrior with them' needs an orange dot at the end.
You are incorrect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back