• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Henry nods as another lawyer joins the huddle of interested parties.

"Phillip."

The lawyer nods back.

"Henry."
Screenshot-2020-12-27-at-8-20-08-am.png

"I don't know. You know… Infinity Inc. never really hit it big. No World War, we weren't interested in fighting the Cold War… Never got the kind of press coverage teams get these days. Ever since we met up the first time I've had a hankering to get back into it." He pats his stomach, which is appreciably flatter than it was when we first met. "My dietician approves, but the fact is I'm not as young as I used to be. Moving off-world?"

I nod.

"That, I'll have to think about."
And this is where you offer to make him twenty years younger.

Phillips looks me over.

maybe just 'Phillip'

"But even hearsay they can use to direct an investigation."

maybe 'with hearsay they can use it to'

And once they've spend a day or two they're pretending not to,

maybe remove 'they're'

called in in relation to the adjacent civil suit.

maybe remove one 'in'

sued over an injury a healed and the judge

'I healed'

and while I didn't get a chance to meet everyone I got the very

maybe add a comma 'everyone, I got'

maybe 'about it'

De-aging Henry should be something Paragon is able and motivated to do (honestly I think healing the comatose woman, if framed as 'facilitating me getting Henry available sooner', is also feasible).

He may have the motivation for it, but he may be hesitant due to Henry being a metahuman.

Paul has been hesitant in healing metahumans with his ring due to fearing he may somehow damage them, like when he didn't heal Captain Comet after rescuing him.

Though healing the woman may work.

"Pay" must be an interesting thing in a case like this. Gold? Well it was easy enough for OL to do some asteroid mining back on day 1. Now he could probably do it without blinking. Land? Well find a world with a medieval tech level, pick out a nice tropical island no one is using, and you're fine. Tech? Well there's some potential there, though I'm not sure what he'd want.

He may have the motivation for it, but he may be hesitant due to Henry being a metahuman.

Paul has been hesitant in healing metahumans with his ring due to fearing he may somehow damage them, like when he didn't heal Captain Comet after rescuing him.

I don't recall that, though Captain Comet's state of injury was hardly normal. Paragon's healed Kid Flash before with no apparent issue. I suppose de-aging a telepath's brain can be more complicated; I'm not sure if there would be ramifications if he de-aged the rest of Henry a bit while leaving the brain untouched.

"Pay" must be an interesting thing in a case like this. Gold? Well it was easy enough for OL to do some asteroid mining back on day 1. Now he could probably do it without blinking. Land? Well find a world with a medieval tech level, pick out a nice tropical island no one is using, and you're fine. Tech? Well there's some potential there, though I'm not sure what he'd want.
Maybe, but I doubt the solar systems mineral rights are open any more.

Kori basically asked him why he didn't heal him and he replied that due to being a metahuman his physiology may be different.

"Why have you not healed him?"

"Because I don't have enough information on his 'healthy' state-."

"You are the same species-!"

"He's a metahuman! Their bodies can be completely-!"

Last couple of Emperors I at least made a token fight of it

remove the 'I'

Dakyn's smart. He'll be a

Maybe change it to 'Damyn', in the rest of the text that's how it's spelled, or maybe the 'Damyn' part is wrong.

the one before Damyn

of Citadel Complex off him?"

maybe 'off of him'

Look, if you saw my memories you know-."

maybe 'you'd know'

5th July 2012
10:23 GMT -6

Henry nods as another lawyer joins the huddle of interested parties.
Henry King Jr, aka Brain Wave II, for those wondering. The Paragon's go-to telepathic trainer. Lining up the training position for any White Martians he recruits, evidently.

"Phillip."

The lawyer nods back.
Being called in on some manner of case, then? I suppose 'consulting telepath' is a growing market. And a fun thing to have on a business card.

"Henry."

"The Doctor's.. been filling me in on Missus Salinas' condition. I don't think I'll have any trouble getting a reading." He smiles like a stage salesman. "And since we've all been here before, I doubt that anyone has any questions… Phillip?"
A regular encounter, eh? I'm guessing he does a lot of consulting for the local police force of his home town.

"Yeah, I kinda do. My client's been on at me to try and get another telepath, due to your relationship with the-" He gestures to the other lawyer. "-opposition."

Henry shrugs.
And a veiled accusation of a conflict of interest? That's always a wrinkle.

"My relationship isn't really relevant. You're splitting the fee. And if you want to hire another telepath then you can go right ahead; I'm always happy to meet people I can trade information with."

"There aren't any other in the state."
Joy of being in a very exclusive group. IE The next evolution of humanity. Not that there hasn't been quite a few of them over the years in DC. :confused: I remember one Superman story from the early eighties with genetically engineered psychics whose makers had the psychics' little fingers turned into a second thumb, for some reason...

"There are a handful of telepaths who can do this sort of work in the country. And the only two I'd actually give a reference for are both Martians."

'Phillip' looks at me. "What about him?"
Different field. It's like asking a podiatrist to look at a brain surgery case. Sure, both work with the body, but in different ways.

Henry shakes his head. "Orange Lantern is an usually precise empath. He could tell you what early memories made her the woman she is, but he can't tell you what she saw right before she received her injuries."

I nod. "Even if I could see something, it would be so heavily connected with related emotional responses that I couldn't be sure about whether what I saw was actually what happened."
And I suspect it'd be a lot harder to read angry memories than avaricious ones, too.

Phillip shrugs. "And her injuries?"

"Not the first time I've tried reading someone in a coma. If I can't get a clear reading then I can't get a clear reading. You wanna check, you can. I'm not stopping anyone, and nothing I'm doing will make it harder."
So... Someone in a coma, involved in something violent. Easy enough to pick up the details of the case as we go...

"And, ah…" Phillips looks me over. "What exactly are you doing here?"

"I wanted to speak to Henry about a long term contract, and obviously he had to discharge his prior obligation first. And of course if I do see something useful, I'll report it."
Still doesn't mean Henry'll accept your offer, OL. But we all know how persuasive you can be...

"Do you need to be in the room?"

"Not really. I'm happy to wait outside, if you.. don't want me in there."
If it's a private room, it might already be crowded. Have you seen how small some of them are?

He shrugs. "It's a small room. Two lawyers, a doctor, a nurse and Henry…"

I nod. "Understood."
Heh, like I said. No police officer to observe? Or is this not a criminal matter.. yet?

Henry looks around the group. "Alright, shall we?"

The group heads down the corridor, Henry bringing up the rear. I fall in next to him.
Ah, the good old walk-and-talk scene. remember how often this used to happen?

"What's this about?"

He shrugs. "Well, I won't know what it's actually about until I get a look at Missus Salinas' memories. The legal action was pretty low key. Ah… A combination noise and boundary complaint. Right up until Missus Salinas was severely beaten and wound up here."
...Ah. Sounds like her neighbour's the prime suspect, then. I wonder which one was the noisemaker?

"So why aren't you here on the behalf of the police?"

"What, you thought the law relating to telepathic evidence was more helpful than the law relating to magic evidence? Come on, Paul."
So... The police are trying not to make more work for themselves?

"But even hearsay they can use to direct an investigation."

"And once they've spend a day or two they're pretending not to, they probably will. But at the moment I've been called in in relation to the adjacent civil suit. You do a lot of civil work?"
The lady's family suing the neighbour? And no doubt depending on the outcome of this, there may be criminal charges to apply too? I bet OL's ring could pick up all manner of forensic traces...

"Not since the eyes and cake thing. Though I did get called in as a witness after someone sued over an injury a healed and the judge wanted me to confirm the extent of the injury."

"Um." He leans in a little. "I don't suppose you can do something like that here, can you?"
That depends. How much can you make him want to do it?

"For a woman I've never met? The best I can do is give them the number for Doctor Sivana's purple healing ray trial."

"That thing? I remember Lyta using one a couple of times. Does it even work on traumatic brain injuries?"

"Why did you think it was called a 'trial'?"
Because the medical industry is a bad-tempered 800-pound gorilla with a fear of new things? :)eek: No RL comments, please!) Especially in the DC Universe, with gods, magic and advanced technology all capable of advanced or even perfect healing...

He smiles ruefully.

"Fair point. So tell me more about this Mars thing."
Might be easier to allow him to do a quick telepathic read of the events in OL's head. I'm sure he can summarize effectively, anyway

"Martians have a three tier caste system based on skin colour. Last year I provided fairly overwhelming evidence that the colour was the result of Guardian biological engineering rather than some sort of celestial diktat, but unfortunately racism isn't about rationality. At least one city is devoted to a frankly off-putting degree to the status quo, and while I didn't get a chance to meet everyone I got the very clear impression from the government that the top and middle castes are happy with the way things are."
Though it's worth noting, as has been argued here often, that the colour is reinforced mentally as much as physically... And that's a depressingly good read of the situation, I suspect...

"And how exactly am I going to help with that?"

"You're going to train the uneducated bottom caste members I help leave. You're already familiar with Martian thought processes-"
Just a bit, yes. How has M'gann's training been going, anyway? Has she learned everything he can teach her yet?

We enter the corridor with Missus Salinas' room.

"-due to training M'gann, though these recruits won't be as powerful."
That's probably a good thing, really. No risk of accidental mental illusion reinforcements, either... Just a matter of drilling in good telepathic ethics...

"I've never taught a whole class before. How many people are we talking about?"

"I'm hoping to get a few moderate top caste Martians as well, and they can do some of the training. But we're talking hundreds."
I hope they have a way to speed it up. I don't think Henry has enough time to manage all of them individually...

"Hundreds?"

"Hundreds who've been using telepathy for their entire lives and are used to working in a low level telepathic communion at all times. Do a demonstration and they'll all see it from the perspective of both participants."
Ah, good point. Teach a few, they can teach more, and those can teach more still. The hard part is making sure the lessons don't get distorted in the mental game of Chinese Whispers.

"How much am I getting paid for this?"

"How much do you want to get paid for this? I was going to index link it to a military academy instructor, with a percentage to take into account the rarity of your skill set. Final negotiations would be up to Supreme Commander Dox."
Who might well set a new record for individual staff payments.

"And I'd be living..?"

"The L.E.G.I.O.N. ships have teleporters, so while the Martians are based here you can live wherever you're living now. Once we head back to Maltus… It would be most convenient if you could move there."
That's... Quite the trip for a kind-of temporary job. :p On the other hand, he'd get to meet all manner of space babes, green and otherwise ...

"Moving to an alien world." He smiles. "If I was in my thirties I'd jump at the chance."

"And now?"
As has been mentioned, he could quite easily be in his thirties again. I'm sure OL could offer that as a bonus, he has plenty of data on Henry's biology.

"I don't know. You know… Infinity Inc. never really hit it big. No World War, we weren't interested in fighting the Cold War… Never got the kind of press coverage teams get these days. Ever since we met up the first time I've had a hankering to get back into it." He pats his stomach, which is appreciably flatter than it was when we first met. "My dietician approves, but the fact is I'm not as young as I used to be. Moving off-world?"
I suppose you could count it as a mid-life crisis of sorts? A Seachange? Especially if you do get rejuvenated...

I nod.

...Or maybe set Earth up as a training world for NEMO? Admittedly, it's a bit too far for casual trips, but you never know.

I see OL's wasting no time setting this thing up. Barely spread the word on Mars, and now lining up the trainer. Certainly, Mister King's his best non-villainous option. There's quite the dearth of heroic telepaths in DC, for some reason. Quite the contrast to Marvel, eh?

Joy of being in a very exclusive group. IE The next evolution of humanity. Not that there hasn't been quite a few of them over the years in DC. :confused: I remember one Superman story from the early eighties with genetically engineered psychics whose makers had the psychics' little fingers turned into a second thumb, for some reason...

I think there was this one version of Superman that was supposed to be the next stage in human evolution, but it wasn't Red Son.

That's... Quite the trip for a kind-of temporary job. :p On the other hand, he'd get to meet all manner of space babes, green and otherwise ...

Well he'll probably meet the green ones after they free Colu.

For now he'll have to settle for tall, leggy, buxom gold/orange skinned women.

Lucky bastard.

I see OL's wasting no time setting this thing up. Barely spread the word on Mars, and now lining up the trainer. Certainly, Mister King's his best non-villainous option. There's quite the dearth of heroic telepaths in DC, for some reason. Quite the contrast to Marvel, eh?

At least the civilians in DC aren't regular winners of the Darwin Award.

Seriously Marvel civilians are practically the Daniel Day Lewis of Darwin Award winners.

Last edited:
Overly Sarcastic Productions a YouTube channel specifically their series on Journey to the West.
Also how did you get the image onto tyour comment, i looked at its link but it says screenshot, and i have only managed to figure out how to insert edit image by adding a link, not an actual file,

every image i had to find to post a photo needed a URL, i have not been able to figure out putting screen shots, and it looks like you didn't us a URL for this so how did you do it?

Also how did you get the image onto tyour comment, i looked at its link but it says screenshot, and i have only managed to figure out how to insert edit image by adding a link, not an actual file,

every image i had to find to post a photo needed a URL, i have not been able to figure out putting screen shots, and it looks like you didn't us a URL for this so how did you do it?
I uploaded my screenshot to a free image hosting site and used the url for the uploaded image.

I'm not downplaying it at all. I don't know the full extent of what he did to Diana, so until told otherwise, I'm just going to assume that he changed her personality to put his needs/desires first, but is still using the JL to fulfill their original mandate of protecting the Earth (because that's what this Ol' Tangy wants). I'm under no delusion that Tangy is bad. I was just comparing a single act (rewriting Diana's personality vs beheading an evil Chaos Lord child on live television).

If Tangy's victim was different, say, Poison Ivy or Queen Bee, would your opinion change?

hat universe's Dianna is Dead-for all intents and purposes "Tangsied"'s screwing her still-breathing corpse >.<
Corpsefucker incapacitated her,hollowed her mind out of everything other then memories,or and shoved a replacement personality,or at bare minimum systematically rewrote her entire personality/conscious mind in so he could keep screwing his newest sextoy without getting eviscerated/pounded flat by essentially everyone-
and im assuming he's been doing something similar to everyone who's caught on/he's decided he wanted to fuck and isnt interested in him....

I think there was this one version of Superman that was supposed to be the next stage in human evolution, bu it wasn't Red Son.

As already covered, yes Red Son Superman is in fact a human. But he's not the only human Superman, actually.

Perhaps you were thinking of the Superman Monster, where Lex Luthor discovered the kryptonian birthing matrix and used it to reanimate a body made from surgerically reattached human body parts with the powers of Superman?

Or perhaps you are thinking of Clark Kent from Secret Identity, where a boy from Kansas named Clark Kent had the powers of Superman?

No because as Grayven pointed out there is a will in those eyes they aren't just equipment. If Tangseid is using them without being influenced then he has to have been awakened first to avoid being influenced. Also the guy that implanted the eye in his torso didn't become a demigod and went back to normal human after the eye was removed.

In short I believe the order of factors does have an effect on the results of the operation.

Tim Kelly's son had a soul before getting his father's eye.

It took decades for Alan to become a will elemental from a leaking ring and that process never finished, but it took the soulless Sybarite decades less time to grow a demonic soul ex nihilo from eating demons.

Further, it wouldn't make sense for Tangseid to be a New God because he got himself a set of magic warding tattoos after the Crisis of Infinite Pauls.

Tattoos he would not be allowed to keep as a New God because one of the multiple powers Zoat added to New Gods in this story is a healing factor that doesn't allow the body to be changed, even improvements.

Magical warding tattoos that would be redundant because one of the other powers Zoat added to New Gods in this story is magic resistance.

As already covered, yes Red Son Superman is in fact a human. But he's not the only human Superman, actually.

Perhaps you were thinking of the Superman Monster, where Lex Luthor discovered the kryptonian birthing matrix and used it to reanimate a body made from surgerically reattached human body parts with the powers of Superman?

Or perhaps you are thinking of Clark Kent from Secret Identity, where a boy from Kansas named Clark Kent had the powers of Superman?

Tim Kelly's son had a soul before getting his father's eye.

It took decades for Alan to become a will elemental from a leaking ring and that process never finished, but it took the soulless Sybarite decades less time to grow a demonic soul ex nihilo from eating demons.

Further, it wouldn't make sense for Tangseid to be a New God because he got himself a set of magic warding tattoos after the Crisis of Infinite Pauls.

Tattoos he would not be allowed to keep as a New God because one of the multiple powers Zoat added to New Gods in this story is a healing factor that doesn't allow the body to be changed, even improvements.

Magical warding tattoos that would be redundant because one of the other powers Zoat added to New Gods in this story is magic resistance.

I was actually thinking of Harvey Dent.

I think Tangseid mentioned something about an enhanced meta physique, but that could have been something Circe did instead of him becoming a New God, like maybe a stronger soul.

Last edited:
I get frustrated that Zoat doesn't finish an arc before changing perspectives.
Does it bother you that a TV show leaves off mid-storyline before going on season hiatus over the summer? Does it bother you that movies will set up an arc to be resolved in another movie that won't release for another year or two? Have you ever seen Rashomon? (I don't expect the answer to the last one to be yes, but it's an interesting film.)

But in the mean time
meantime

That show's me right up
shows

He's not bullet proof
bulletproof

Users who are viewing this thread

Back