1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Are we talking Ice Cube, Idris Elba or Tyrese Gibson? And I imagine he's size Dwayne Johnson or somewhere up there?

And I can't believe the comparison with Solar/Lunar Exalted and Grayven and Artemis' relationship fits so well, not that I know a lot about Exalted anyway.

Regarding sending Kanto, sending a God Assassin is a valid tactic, I imagine. Grayven and OriginalGrayven aren't fighting yet, they are just feeling the inevitable conflict, so their natures aren't directly clashing in a battle for supremacy. I would think that OriginalGrayven would have the advantage if Kanto is sent, because even though the latter is a God Assassin the former would be in his domain (his conquering fleet) and in his center of power (his dreadnaught flagship). I imagine it's more an attack of opportunity, OriginalGrayven wouldn't be expecting for Grayven to have a Kanto, and if Kanto manages to kill him, slow him or actually damage something important that's a win. Meanwhile Artemis would be scouting.

Honestly, OriginalGrayven is in so much disadvantage being technically all alone. He's not sharing his power and has complete dominion over his subordinates. But even though Grayven's control is more subtle he has a lot more allies and subordinates of better quality.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

When the Renegade left, she wasn't single.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No, as they're not blood relatives.
    I'm going to chalk that up to a gramatical idiosyncrasy on the Renegade's part.
    The mission was technically a failure on the team's part.
    The main SI.
    His features are predominantly those that would be found amongst individuals southern African descent.
    Not if Kanto willingly accepts becoming his vassal and acts within his own domain. It will limit how much Grayven can help him, but that's about it.
    Naples, mostly.
    Yes.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Well, the second one isn't black, but if he were, like that.

3. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Can someone remind me in which chapter(s) Paul went to Karax?

4. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

He hasn't. He's just heard of it before and is aware that it is the place in the universe where the Green Light is worshipped the most. Although it was actually mentioned in the Renegade timeline when he was being interviewed about how not believing in gods is actually stupid once you see the literal gods and godly entities that exist once your society becomes advanced enough.

5. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

I wonder what they would think of Gem style Fusion.
    On the one hand, an exponential increase in power. On the other, absolute trust of someone. Multiple someones’ if you want the hilariously broken multi-fusions.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat, these two should either be August 25th, or you should add the date above the link for this chapter.

What's the name of the next episode?

7. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

If he never visited Karax, what does this refer to and how does he know about it?

Doccer likes this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The people of Karax basically worship the GLC and also follow their exploits.

I'm betting they discovered about the OLC and Paul's actions, so now they may have entered into debates about the Light Spectrum and other Lanters Corps' existing, or even may have started forming cults that focus in the OLC and Paul.

As for knowing about it, well Paul is very interested in philosophy and the religious philosophy on Karax focuses on the Light Spectrum, so him keeping an eye there makes sense.

He can also consult his ring's database.

9. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Medidiction.

10. Threadmarks: Medidiction (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Medidiction

26th August 2012
    15:15 GMT

"Hierarch-Illustres!"

I glance down, spotting the female humanoid with the hover camera waving at me. With most of their fleet away picketing a spherical warship with a total mass about seventy times that of said fleet, I felt that spending a little time on the planet might be advisable. A couple of the Lanterns I want to take to Karax with me can't be spared right this moment, and Thaddeus's duel isn't until tomorrow.

"Citizen-Journalist. What can I do for you?"

Carran social hierarchy is a curious thing. It reminds me a little of the turians in mass effect, only rather than being promoted by their superiors they're promoted by their peers. And it's all roles; this woman is a street life reporter who almost certainly encountered me by chance-

Though I give her and her equipment a scan anyway, because I'm not stupid. No, just what it looks like.

-and I actually prefer to do interviews like this rather than something staged. Dox likes controlling the message-

He likes it a lot, actually.

-and while a certain degree of consistency is useful you don't have to be super media savvy to recognise a line when you're being fed it. Something a little more genuine from the Illustres-right-brain side of the partnership should help our credibility with people whose suspicions… While unwarranted in our case, certainly aren't foolish.

"I just wanted to say how completely amazing it was how you disabled that entire ship in a few moments and tried to keep the Inert-Crew alive!"

Or… Maybe a roving reporter just… Isn't going to test me on a planet that already loves N.E.M.O. and hates and fears the Reach, and is genuinely completely happy to accept the party line.

I land and stand at ease.

"As I said to the Hierarch-Admiral, I'm here to fix the universe." I shrug. "As much as I can."

"That's wonderful!"

Oh. I smile and try to make it obvious that I'm trying to be self-depreciating, but I think I've misjudged the audience for that.

"Are we going to be attacked again?"

"We have no information that suggests an attack is imminent, but… As we keep saying, it's going to be a long war. I'd be surprised if your world wasn't in the firing line at least once or twice more before it ends."

"And why are you here now?"

"I thought I'd take a look at the new space docks and industrial sectors. I haven't had the opportunity to speak to the Lanterns involved yet, and I would be remiss in my responsibilities if I didn't look things over."

Because it's generally fairly obvious when a combat-focused Lantern is having a little episode, but when construction or education focused Lanterns start going off the rails it's sometimes not. But we need worlds like this in full production as quickly as possible, so we give power rings to people with a burning desire to learn and then tell them to get on with it. The psychologists follow with the L.E.G.I.O.N. engineering team, but we don’t always know enough about the species involved to judge things precisely.

"And to reassure people. I can well appreciate that seeing a ship that size can be a little disturbing."

"I was terrified."

Something else about their culture: the carrans don’t censor information releases. At all. Their logic is that someone who isn't fully apprised of the facts can't make educated decisions, so the moment the attacking ship was seen nearly everyone knew about it. And.. the response was fairly rational. Some panicking, no rioting and as far as I've been able to tell the population is still four-square behind the war effort.

"Well, on current timelines your planet should have its own L.E.G.I.O.N.-grade security fleet inside four months, so hopefully you won't need me to make a personal appearance."

"Were you involved in other fighting?"

"Yes. I destroyed one fleet and.. half of another before I arrived here. After that it was more a matter of supporting L.E.G.I.O.N. ships and other Orange Lanterns."

She frowns. "What happened to the other half?"

"They retreated further back into Reach space. Our science people are working on better counters for their guns, so next time I should be able to do a little better."

"When are the recordings going to be released?"

A fairly natural request from a carran. And… Honestly, given the effort that we've made to keep Reach infiltrators out of N.E.M.O. territory, not as much of a risk as it would be to, say, broadcast an equivalent recording on Earth about another earthly enemy. The Reach would need to have a monitoring device in the local data networks with a faster than light communicator, and the Darkstar counter-insurgency teams have been looking for things like that very thoroughly. Without that, even if there is a concealed infiltrator on the planet there's no way for them to tell their domitors. And given that the ships were Reach-controlled, it's unlikely that they don't already have complete recordings of the entire fight.

But it's usually not the technologies you know about that give you trouble.

"Not anytime soon. We're concerned that the Reach might be watching our transmissions to learn what we know about them, and we want their picture to be as inaccurate as possible. When it gets to the point where they can't gain any useful information from it, then we'll release them."

She frowns, because that's very much against her culture. But it looks like a combination of my rank -which implies that I know what I'm talking about- and the fact that she's dealing with an alien and aliens are weird, means that she's prepared to accept it for the moment. Though I suspect that her idea of 'soon' and Dox's are rather different.

"Will you be fighting the Reach again today?"

"No, not today. Today I've got to oversee a-" Duel. "-sparring session between two of our technologists, and then I'm working on improving our Orange Lantern training program."

She nods.

"To reduce their level of mental instability."

And she's fine with that, because… Senior officers don't generally achieve their ranks because they're better fighters than everyone else. They achieve their ranks because they're better at organising and planning. So the fact that I'm actually doing some organising isn't anything like as strange as, say, Kal-El announcing in the middle of the Sheeda invasion that he was taking time off from punching to do some accounting spreadsheets.

"Stability yes, but you have to understand… Power rings are empathic tools. Someone who learns to use them to the highest standards possible isn't going to be like the person they were at the start. It's more about how to manage the transition to avoid the negative potential consequences. Have you had a chance to read my book?"

"Only a summary."

"It explains my transformation fairly well. I have abilities that other Orange Lanterns don't, and this is… probably the only time in the war when it's going to be practical for me to experiment with helping other Lanterns to replicate what I can do."

"Have you selected any of our Lanterns for training?"

"That's part of why I'm here; I want to see if any of them are close to making the transformation that I did. However, they shouldn't be disheartened if the answer is 'no'. This is a new area of study, and… Well, much like how N.E.M.O. is focusing on developing worlds who are nearly advanced enough to fully participate in the war, I'm going to be focusing on Lanterns who have something close to my mental state to start with. Improvements to our training processes will later become available to all Lanterns."

She nods.

"Why are you needed to oversee a sparring session?"

"Why indeed."

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  11. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Because the fighting might destroy a lot without a powerful lantern to mitigate the damage. It will probably be very destructive despite Paul’s attempt to contain it, however.

Gilhelmi, Cuchulin, Finerc and 14 others like this.
  12. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

should be ‘suspicions’

13. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

I miss having a 'funny' button.

Jaron, Vorian, Finerc and 16 others like this.
  14. inglorius

inglorius Getting sticky.

"censor", I guess.
    People of culture.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Not right now, but other times you were very stupid.

The control freak.

Weird, but strangely likeable.

maybe 'planet, there's'

And you're extra weird.

'for training'

Because he brought those two lunatics together and now he has to live with the consequences of his actions.

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

17. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

While the Carran model sounds good in theory, in practice it would most likely quickly devolve into popularity contests, similar to our votes for politicians.

18. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No, I think that's okay.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No, as the date hasn't changed.

19. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm assuming Medidiction is a neologism based on Meditate or Media+ Malediction, but that's just my guess. Maybe a bunch of Orange Lanterns go on a trippy vision quest to the Honden or something as part of their spiritual training.

20. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

An interesting title, which appears to be a portmanteau of meditation and... Well, there's rather a lot of words ending in -diction. Could be Malediction, a curse or unwanted blessing. Which seems kind of appropriate for what OL's going in search of. Anyone else got ideas?

Yes, very much a good idea to be present for that little set-to. If only to try and contain the no-doubt-impressive level of destruction the two hate-birds might be bringing to the party.

Fascinating. I have to wonder what sort of cultural history would bring about a lifestyle like that. It sounds almost like the Roman Republic, who elected senior officials via popular vote, with less of the publicity contest modern voting has become... As for you being stupid, well, much has already been said on that matter...

Of course. The man is a control freak of the highest calibre. That's why you recruited him, after all. Though it seems all the interpersonal interactions he's had since joining has helped to lesson some parts of that. Mellowed out a bit, you might say, and not a single narcotic needed. He still needs to get laid, though.

Admittedly, speaking off-the-cuff like this has it's own drawbacks, such as OL's tendency to overshare or start sucking on figurative shoe leather, sometimes without even noticing...

Thanks goodness for that. I suppose a little fluff piece might help you unwind a little yourself.

Yeah, who knows what social faux pas you might have already committed. After all, not every anthropoid sophont species has the same body language quirks as humans. A smile on one world might seem friendly, another might take it as a declaration of hostility. Especially if it bares teeth.

Which I presume they know, and are prepared to deal with already. They wouldn't have signed on with N.E.M.O. otherwise.

And you never know when some dastardly Reach infiltrator group is going to take advantage of their fleet being occupied elsewhere...

Though, for the most part, I expect their psychoses tend to manifest as an overly excessive urge to build things, even if they have to pull other things apart for the materials. Probably only really dangerous if said things have guns, or they're using occupied buildings for materials. Still, better safe than sorry... Last thing you want is some yahoo deciding his planet needs a pyramid the size of Olympus Mons...

Plus, again, the whole 'your fleet is busy cleaning up the mess' thing... I don't doubt the ship could have glassed the planet, though. Even if it only packed kinetic projectile weapons, the sheer number it could bring to bear would be enough to rain 'rods from god' aplenty.

Huh, better than how humans would respond. I guess the panic reflex is a lot shallower amongst the carrans.

Don't make promises the Reach won't let you keep, OL. You never know what'll happen.

They were wily sneaks who bravely ran away. Honestly, one of the most sensible decisions an enemy of OL has ever made.

...Oooh, right. Anti-Spectrum weapons aren't something the high command is going to want to be public knowledge. On the other hand, if they can assemble a supercut right, it could be the best action blockbuster ever created. :V Until OL's next big fight.

So, as I said, it's only a matter of the anti-Spectrum weapons that's in the way, eh? Don't want every Tom, Dick and Harry in the galactic crime scene seeking out guns that can shut down a Lantern...

Logical enough. And suggesting that the Reach might be listening could get the idea across to the carrans that being totally open with their information might not be the smartest idea. Though I doubt it.

I suppose if Dox had it his way, they'd never release the footage, edited or not.

And yet that's public knowledge. I guess some Lanterns have had quite visible incidents... and 'Sparring session', huh? I guess that's one way to avoid calling it a date. :p

Though I doubt Kal-El would have too much difficulty, between super-speed and what little of his enhanced Kryptonian intellect he bothers to employ.

Ah, that explains why people know about the tang-whammy issue. And he's right about the changes. Compare OL in the first episode to OL now.

That's a good question. That must have been an interesting recruitment process for them, given the nature of their culture. Still have to wonder just how much of OL's abilities are due to his soul-less nature upon arrival and his merging with Best Snek...

I wonder if the early days of the Green Lanterns were anything like this, minus the whole war thing... Though given their early conflicts with Apokalips and the Reach... And the Guardians were probably a lot more knowledgable about the Green Light than the Controllers are about Orange now.

...Well... Hmm, should he mention the fact that both participants have a knack for weapons development? Quite large and powerful weapons...

I suppose he has to at least make sure Tad doesn't get himself killed... Or at least put him back together well enough afterwards that Thaddeus won't complain much.

An amusing start. Thankfully, Dox knows that OL isn't going to make a complete fool of himself in candid interviews, so I doubt there'll be much to worry about on that front. x3 Plus, working with Georgia might be proving a nice distraction... Still, the trip to Karax, once it comes along, should prove to be entertaining. Just this little tussle between Tad and Daciya to get out of the way first...

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He's probably getting laid now.

And even if he notices that's not a guarantee that he'll stop sucking on the shoe leather.

The guy has brains and beawn.

The OL and the beginning seemed more human, compared to the almost Vulcan-like version of present OL.

22. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

What partial emotional internal consistency does to a person.

mastermenthe likes this.
  23. Hell's Razer

Hell's Razer Passive Member

My first idea was Medi(cal) + Diction (as in "you need more lessons on proper diction young man") so... "medical way of speaking"? fake edit: just thought a better way to describe this: "Bedside manner." :D:p

DrThoth and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  24. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, I found some broken pictures.
    Also, I was wondering how Batwoman!Jade knew Freedom Beast, and if there is any version of Harold Allnut in the universes we will see.

26. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

My first read of "Medidiction" was as a portmanteau of "meddling addiction" which you have to admit is on-brand.

Vorian, Lord Ernest and pervyshyguy like this.
  27. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

At least it is an informed popularity contest?
    Everyone knowing relevant things should enable a decent result.

28. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

One Night only it's the fight of the decade.
    Terran Mad Scientist VS Qwadrian Weaponeer!

Sentients and sophonts of all genders & ages are you ready?
    Are you Rrrrredy?!
    LETS GET READY TO CRACK A PLANET!
    [cheering crowd]

"And somehow we got space Michael Buffer for this production"

5000 Quataloos that the Qwardian frags the Keezy Terran!

"Lobo what the hell are you doing here?"

The Main Man Came here to Drink Flurb and watch a fight.

"This day keeps getting better and better."

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  29. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

"Let's just say they like to take very enthusiastic spars."

30. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

You make it sound like they're going to dress up in red overcoats and go for walks together.