1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Oh, Karax sounds interesting

I live for those moments of Paul casually dismanteling a society :D

Do they already know all seven colours can have Lanterns? Will he tell them about White Lanterns? Oooh, this will be fun!

2. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

To be fair, he could have just rolled a Nat 1 on his wisdom check.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Wait, I think I know what's happening.

The Reach seem to be insectoid in some ways, so they may have heard of Paul and what he did for the Spider Queen.

True she's a arachnid, but it's close enough.

They want Paul to have sex with them.

Just hope they don't expect him to pay for any potential child support.

The deadbeat.

I think future Paul mentioned other Lanterns achieving enlightenment.

The Green Lantern Illustres seemed to be enlightened.

And avarice may be more difficult that will.

Well, some are better than others.

He showed up during the Angel invasion.

He was apparently a priest or apprentice priest at a Source temple.

Because half of the Sivanas are horrible people that would likely destroy the universe just to see how it dies.

4. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

They wouldn't, that'd invalidate the result!

Now if it was to prove a different point you might have an argument.

5. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

The wiki only has one William Hand, the New Earth one, whose origin matches the screenshot links Zoat posted in this chapter, and whose history got altered after Infinite Crisis (I mean there are Flashpoint and Prime Earth versions but we can all be pretty sure Zoat isn't using them).

6. webxro

webxro Benevolent Bystander

You know, we now have one more thing to blame on the Justice League, if they fully embraced space tech with good sensors and interdiction fields then people won't have as easy of a time to sneak to Earth.

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, though it looks like Zoat made two versions for his story, so the one with the gun probably isn't using the black light.

And I think Scar connected him with the black light in the comics, long after he made the gun thing.

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That may not have been so easy.

The Green Lanterns can't give out tech and their Watchtower had a lot of its capabilities disabled by the Guardians.

The Hawks may have also been forbidden from giving their tech.

And any tech they may have gotten from other aliens may take time to analyze and replicate safely. Assuming it can be replicated and doesn't require some super rare material that can't be found on Earth.

Also even if they used the tech that doesn't mean others can't find a way around it.

I think Paul actually installed sensor tech and interdiction fields, and Hinon activated the Watchtowers full capabilities, so they're safe a bit on that front.

9. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    No, he fought Lantern Jordan, but Jordan generally beat him by destroying his technology and naturally enough he wasn't eager to share what he knew.
    No. The William Hand in Blackest Night is such a completely different person to the original William Hand that for the purpose of this story I'm assuming that he was a different person with the same name. Seriously, look at him in any of his prior appearences and try and work out how he became that.

There were a lot of retcons at around that time.
    Thank you, corrected.

10. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I love how you listed these and I hope that you continue to update this in the future. Also, here are some few corrections.

This is missing one appearance.
    All of these are the same guy, just at different points of his personal timeline. Also, Paul was never a Teal Lantern, that was some other fanfic. Paul ended up in a version of said fanfic.

Mr Zoat, does this mean that you are retconning the times William Hand was mentioned in-story or by you in threads? Here is a list of said mentions:

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.c...-justice-si-thread-twelve.25032/post-11049194
    https://forums.sufficientvelocity.c...g-justice-si-thread-twelve.25032/post-6278414
    https://forums.spacebattles.com/thr...ng-justice-si-thread-six.292893/post-13759492
    https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/with-this-ring-young-justice-si.267344/post-12019013

11. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Who is selling to the Free Lancers? Perhaps a Sivana? Or Lex? Or the Light?

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Lex and the Light seem like a good guess.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  13. Mr Zoat

If the mortician William Julian Hand was aware of what was happening, he gave no sign of it. William Steven Hand was already in prison, and the SI assumed that he couldn't be the man he was looking for.

14. Xmaster3000

Xmaster3000 Know what you're doing yet?

Could someone please tell me what Fracture Cannons are? My only reference is Darksiders and I know that's not it.

15. Mr Zoat

They're what Star Trek scripts refer to as '[tech] cannons'. Their exact nature isn't really that important.

16. webxro

webxro Benevolent Bystander

I still want to blame the league because it sounds like fun to blame them, and then to blame the guardians. I mean if they get into trouble because some earth tech escaped earth then it would be hilarious for me.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  17. Threadmarks: Onslaught (supplementary, Renegade Option)
    Mr Zoat

26th August 2012
    11:02 GMT +1

Illusion ward in place and Mortalla on my arm, I amble in the direction of the easel where Kanto is giving a small cluster of students a demonstration in Renaissance-era painting. Nearby, Claudia is doing something similar with stitching, a circle of embroidered cloth on her knee as she points something out to a student of historical handicraft.

It's nice that they've found such a peaceful place to fit in. I'm honestly not sure how Kanto is channelling his godly nature into teaching art of all things, but more power to him. I wonder if this is the first actual peace he's had since… Ever? I mean, he went from Granny Goodness's school to working for Cesare Borgia to working for Darkseid. That's not exactly a life that leaves much time for… Painting.

Kanto spotted us the moment I opened the hush tube, but it's Claudia who reacts first, putting her swatch aside and rising to greet us with a curtsey. Mortalla returns the gesture while I bow politely. I've only spoken to her a few times, but she's impressed me with just how well she's managing to function five hundred years out of time.

"Lord Grayven."

"Lady Borgia. I don't believe that you've met my mother, Lady Mortalla."

Which would normally get a few odd looks, due to my preferred illusion being that of a large dark-skinned man while her skin is ivory white.

"A pleasure to meet you, my lady."

"Oh, please. 'Mortalla' is fine. And how are things with you?"

And I smile inwardly as Mortalla takes conversational initiative in my presence without being prompted. I've still only got the vaguest glimmerings of how I'm going to deal with Darkseid and it's quite possible that he could 'request' her return tomorrow… But I've done good work there.

"The Naples of this age is a marvel, and my husband's decision to tell people that we are travellers in time has led to people being remarkably kind about mistakes in my mannerisms. The people of my own age would be far less kind." She turns her attention to me. "But I doubt that you are here to ask after my health."

"No. And I'm sorry. But I'm here to ask your husband to take up the tools of his former profession on my behalf."

"I'm a little surprised that it took you this long. Skills such as his are often sought by great lords." She smiles very faintly. "Do you intend to offer him the same reward as his last master?"

I frown. "I didn't think my father gave him anything other than his name."

"I was referring to my brother, though I will confess that him having more than one name may be convenient in some regards. Iluthin di Milano sounds strange to modern ears."

"Ah. I don't know if I have a sister… That's not the sort of question a man with three brothers by different mothers feels comfortable asking his father, though it wouldn't surprise me."

She regards me with mock offence.

"My girlfriend has a sister who's single, but she's got a face like a horse. You're definitely the superior choice."

"And I don't intend to share, whether you do or not!" She pauses a moment. "Do you require his services immediately?"

"No, no. And I'm sorry if we've come at a bad time."

"You may wish to acquaint yourself with the modern device called the telephone."

I shake my head. "No. Too impersonal, for something like this. Please ask him to call upon me once the school day has ended. You are welcome as well, of course, but we'll be talking business."

"After what happened the first time my husband's business followed him home, I think it best that I keep myself apprised. And I am curious to see your keep."

I nod.

"Then we will see you later. Good day."

26th August 2012
    07:11 GMT -5

Artemis exhales heavily when she sees me.

"Grayven, what's going on?"

"Another version of me is bringing his fleet to Vega to kill me and take everything I've built."

She glares.

"How long have you known?"

"A few days. I had to get things ready in Vega-."

"I've-. Felt it you ass! The constant feeling that I'm supposed to be getting ready for something!" She steps up to me and pokes me in the chest. "And you went to Kanto first!"

"He's an art teacher now. He's going to need a while to get ready if he even wants to get involved. And… You're a superhero."

"Yeah, 'cause Earth has civilisation. Vega barely does. How much weaker would you be without me?"

It's actually a little difficult to tell precisely. We are attuned to one another, and can fight like we're one person in two bodies. But how much that actually… Weakens me is a matter of some debate. Most Apokoliptians pooh-pooh the idea, unwilling to add the very definite vector of vulnerability that trusting someone that much creates. And the vector for attack. But having seen… What we did… I know the truth of the matter in my soul.

"Noticeably."

"Which is why you're going to take Lynne." She looks thoughtful. "That's… Yeah. Even if he kills you he can't leave her, because she's part of you as well. She's not any safer on Earth, and she's powerful enough-." She frowns. "We're taking a kid into a war zone."

"Or the war zone comes to her. Frankly, I'm under no illusion that the other Grayven doesn't know about Earth-."

"Because of all the New Gods. Even if he didn't know about you until the Citadelians-." A deeper frown. "That long?"

"I thought he might ignore me. For a while, anyway. Without an established realm he shouldn't be as strong as me."

"Except you've been spending all your time on Earth and he's going to Vega."

"Yeah. Because Vega can take it. Earth can't."

"But you're stronger the more you invest in a place."

I shrug.

"If there was a perfect solution…"

"What's the other you got?"

"An old Apokoliptian dreadnaught and quite a lot of upgraded Gordanian ships. Beyond that, I don't know."

"Then I need to go and take a look." Huntress Seeks Her Prey.

"You do. Which means that you need your own Mother Box."

"How do I get one of those?"

"We go and see Himon, and hope that his son-in-law hasn't spoken to him yet. I think he'll like you rather better than me."

"You're not actually an easy guy to like." She sighs. "What else have we got?"

"Ships, a Lantern Corps and that Kryptonian ship the team were trying to spy on when Lex dug it out of Texas."

"I'm gunna need a little more on that last one."

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  18. DrThoth

By dark-skinned do you just mean very tan or actually Black?

Well, if Celestia uses the mirror, that latter part won't actually be an issue. And if Renegade can fall in love with an alicorn due to his attractions being more metaphysical than biological, Kanto theroetically can as well. Not that I'm actually interested in the latter's love life.
    This is the Kanto from the Justice Lords universe, right? Wonder if there's any chance of the Earth-16Z Kanto noticing him (Grayven didn't apparently notice Renegade, but an assassin New God might have better senses for that kind of thing).

They spent literal years together in the future as a metaphysically attuned pair and Renegade still didn't tell her everything; very in-character for a Paul.

19. Mr Zoat

Dark brown.

20. DrThoth

Fine; still Caucasian or African?

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well you have your human sister.

And in some universes there's Grail, but not in this one.

So does your girlfriend, but you still date her.

Sassy.

Preparing herself for bullshit.

This should be red.

Gotta get rid of the whole bloodline.

He may already have an established realm.

You already got a Mother Box from him.

Though I don't remember if Scott actually did the negotiating, so Himon may have never met you.

That's an understatement.

'was trying'

So she either didn't go on that mission, or she forgot about it.

Is the next episode paragon or renegade focused?

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Even if you're close to someone that doesn't mean you'll tell them everything about you.

He may have thought that it wasn't important, or he may have even forgotten about it himself.

RGFJ, Relyt33, WereDragon and 3 others like this.
  23. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Huh, so Grayven & Artemis have sort of a Solar/Lunar bond from Exalted going on?

24. DrThoth

Nice to see Artemis isn't just totally subservient to or uncritical of Renegade, I was slightly worried about that for a while.
    I'm still sad that we didn't get to see the initial meeting with Himon, it seems like it would have been an interesting negotiation even with Scott there to vouch for him.

She described herself as the 'goddess of bow-ninjas' once, so definitely suited to a stealthier skillset. She might actually stand to learn a lot from Kanto.

25. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

That would be Claudia Borgia, pulled through time via... some method I cannot remember. I'm sure wiser minds than mine can elucidate. And I see the Renegade is going with an old Apokalyptian classic for the big fight: Send an Assassin to stab them in the back while they're distracted.

Well, with a life filled with death, wouldn't you gain a deeper appreciation of living?

Naturally, Lady Mortalla is likely to be more comfortable with the stately manners Claudia was raised into. Also the darker side of courtly politics. So a nice not-quite-family visit for each of them.

Probably not the strangest thing she's seen in her life.

The lady's been shedding that defensive shell of passivity she built up to survive Darkseid? x3 Heartwarming.

Not that she ever expected him to have a very long 'retirement'. Though I like that their cover is simply 'time travellers' and people believe it. Ah, DC...

Admittedly, to one of Granny Goodness' youngsters, that alone would be a fine reward, especially one handed down by Darkseid Himself.

I don't think anyone feels comfortable asking Him anything. And that brother Lady Claudia mentions? Cesare Borgia.

Well, I'm sure if Celestia was ever willing to try the mirror portal, her human form would be a spectacular beauty... And quite expansive, depending on your inspiration. And yes, I mean she'd be tall. Minds out of the gutter!

Heh. 'A bad time'... You think?

Also, a phone call would leave some incriminating trails, even if you could legitimately prosecute plans to murder an alien demigod of war. Methinks Batman would have concerns.

Probably not the most unexpected of wedding guests, but still, what a way to crash a party.

About damn time you called upon the Hunter in Green... She could probably be your most useful ally in this fight, you know.

It sounds so simple when you say it so calmly...

Huh, I thought the whole process had taken a little longer. Closer to a few weeks, honestly. That's what I get for not bothering to keep up with timestamps.

IE, quite a bit more combat-ready. Makes sense that he'd leave her till later, though I bet she's just a bit annoyed at him leaving her all worked up like that for so long.

Yeah, conquering an entire world and turning it to your goals definitely made you two very compatible. Like, you're the tank, she's the DPS.

And Lynne playing the Mezzer, eh? So who gets to run the healer who's got to keep all of you in one piece?

Heh, she doesn't even need to read his face to tell his feelings about something... Gotta like spiritual connections...

Also, he's likely heard about the whole 'Suzerain of Earth' thing and isn't willing to attack the seat of your power...

Indeed. And there's a lot of investment in Earth, Vega and Wilson. But of them all, Earth is his place of power.

Besides an ugly outfit? Well...

Heh, she's going to go do the arrow-ninja sneaky-thing? Let's just hope she can stay concealed in Grayven's place of power...

That 'son-in-law' would be Orion, I believe, since his wife, Bekka, is Himon's daughter. That could be awkward.

Oh yeah, the Doomsday is a thing here, isn't it. Not that the Justice League knows that. What with it having been extracted before the Team could get anywhere.

For shame, Renegade, you didn't mention it to her? I applaud your operational info-security, but really...

And so the preparation continues. The next Renegade episode should be quite interesting to see once the excrement starts flying fan-ward. I foresee quite the mess before all is said and done. Meanwhile, OL has that road-trip to the 'Vatican City' of Lantern worship to look forwards to. Fun times ahead.

Godspeech. Not as important this time as last:

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It was a combination of Lazurus Pit and New God tech.

It's technically true, in a convoluted way.

Claudia is from another time and the year on Earth 50 when Kanto and she left was several years before the current date in Earth 16.

You had your mind in the gutter too, you hypocrite.

After watching the latest episode of Rick and Morty I can't help but imagine Paul becoming their version of the devil.

It's bound to happen sooner or later.

27. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I thought Grayven has to face challengers personally to make his god mojo count? Sending Kanto after OtherGrayven isn't "cheating"?

Relyt33 and DAT_NOOB like this.
  28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may not want to face him and just wants him dead.

Or there's a loophole that allows him to do it.

29. Agumentic

Agumentic Not too sore, are you?

Shooting people with assassin subordinates is not that different from shooting them with fleet subordinates. As long as they carry his will, I think that counts.

30. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, where exactly on Earth 16 has Kanto 50 been staying all this time? Also, is the Justice League aware of his presence on Earth?

I also found an old error.
    Since this is Soranik Natu talking, it should be 'She'.