• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

This is going to end very badly given Paragon seems to be getting his New 52 mixed up with his classic.

Because Classic X'Hal was an Okaaran not a Tamaranean.

Not news, I believe Zoat established previously in comments that here in his story the Tamaraneans are descendents of the golden skinned Okaarans.

Which isn't really that far away from the canon in the comics, since the golden skinned Okaarans and the Branx warriors were the only organic sapient species that actually evolved naturally in the Vega system.

The rest were created by the Psions.

Since there is no reason to believe they made them from scratch instead of using the DNA already available, the Tamaraneans probably do have golden Okaaran DNA in them in New Earth continuity.

Especially since Auron, the half golden Okaaran/Branx son of X'Hal, was not turned into energy like his mother but was simply able to metabolize his mother's energy for flight and energy blasts, just like Tamaraneans can metabolize solar energy.

Regardless, if Zoat was keeping to the comics, it wouldn't actually matter in the first place.

X'Hal's transformation was not racial in nature- The Psions intentionally turned her into energy. Which they did immediately after X'Hal's neck was broken, which means they did immediately with no plans or preperation to do so. Which means there's no reason to believe there was a racial component to it. The Psions just had "turn people into energy beings" technology. Apparently the reason the Psions don't rule the universe as a race of nigh omnipotent energy beings is because they want to torture people for "Science," not turn people into nigh omnipotent energy beings.

The psions mistake was in thinking that X'Hal had kept her sweet empathetic cooperative nature and not gained psychological issues over being raped and abused again and again and again.

And just like Zoat didn't incorporate Icon's "can give anyone kryptonian style powers" aspect, or "evolving radiation that can make anyone Superman-like" in Captian Comet's origin, I wouldn't expect him to use "can turn anyone into planet destroying nigh omnipotent energy beings" aspect of X'Hal's origin either.

Because Paul and his omnipotent friends benignly rule the universe is a recipe for boring invincible hero.

Last edited:
Apparently the reason the Psions don't rule the universe as a race of nigh omnipotent energy beings is because they want to torture people for "Science," not turn people into nigh omnipotent energy beings.

This makes sense.

In this story Zoat made it so that they were genetically made to be sadistic little bastards and also educated and brainwashed in it.

And in the comics they basically imprisoned and raped the only members of their species capable of empathy.

Doing doing stupid things for completely evil reasons is one of the things the Psions are good at.

Damn. I forgot who callous Renegade can be.
He's very utilitarian in a specific way (which can result in horrifyingly callous behavior from the viewpoints of other ethical systems), and probably thinks that he's an Apocalyptan by now, which makes it worse. Also, he fairly recently spent decades or more as a conqueror and ruler on a dying Far Future Earth.

Last edited:
A planet under a civil war. Sounds like they could use a little CONQUEST

Medidiction (part 7)
26th August 2012
22:49 GMT

"…car journey, we'd compete to spot pubs and then score points based on the number of legs on the heraldry."

Lantern Xor nods, taking in this information fairly impassively. I suppose that he doesn't have anything to compare it to, his own childhood having been spent almost entirely in state orphanages or the Warhound training centre. Though… I know from my medical scans that he retains sexual function and virility, so perhaps he's storing it away for when he has children?

Lantern Onik on the other hand looks fascinated.

"Are all hostelries on your homeworld owned by the nobility?"

"No. In fact, very few are. It just became tradition at some point for public houses to identify themselves with a logo rather than call themselves by the owner's name or just plain 'pub'. How does Karax handle it?"

"Most businesses would use a word to identify what sort of business they were, and then put something more abstract after it."

"So, Pub Coach and Horses rather than The Coach and Horses."

He looks puzzled. "No, Great Master. Not unless it was on a coach behind the horses. More like: Pub Third Canto."

"And that would be a pub that had live music?"

He nods. "Usually. Or it might refer to the themes of a particular third canto. Green Lanterns tend to be direct and literal, and see those characteristics as virtues."

I nod. "So your people do as well. I suppose I hadn't fully appreciated-"

I end the warp and drop my three passengers back into normal space at the limit of Karax's home system.

"-what sort of changes that would bring about in the long term. So what's the best way to get in touch?"

"Oh,-" Lantern Onik shakes his head. "-no, Lanterns are free to fly directly to the planet."

"Am I supposed to announce myself?"

"Not to the government, though it would be a good idea to keep the population informed."

"So I should hold a press conference or give an interview?"

"You could, but on Karax we have something called 'social media', wherein individuals broadcast information to the public at large-."

"Yes, I know what social media is. I just don't think it's anything like as important as is sometimes assumed. So I just… What, create an account and post that I've arrived?"

"A few images would be the usual way to introduce yourself. If-?"

"I can manage, thank you. Smile, everyone."

Xor takes that as an order, and… Actually, that's better than I thought it would be. Onik manages a slightly worried smile while Lantern Dul makes an effort to scowl less.

Right, pick an 'alien visitors' server, apply appropriate search tags, upload images and basic biographies and… Would like to meet…

"Okay, done. How-?"

Green Lantern Graf Toren appears a short distance from us, and I raise my right hand in greeting.

"Lantern Toren."

"Illustres. Why are you here?"

"I want to learn more about how mortal creatures like us are changed by using power rings. And to learn from the most capable teachers of Lanterns in the galaxy."

He watches me for a moment, green bands of energy rotating around his right hand.

"Are you aware of any Reach presence here?"

"No. Though I haven't looked."

"You are… Simply here to learn."

"I might also do some tourism? Is..? This a problem?"

He glances at Onik for a moment as he considers.

"Would you accept me showing you around?"

"Is there something you don't want me to see?"

"You have acquired a reputation as a disruptive influence, and Karax is going through a period of religious turbulence. I am concerned about what the result would be if a significant number of people tried to adopt your philosophy without the necessary depth of understanding."

"That's pretty reason.. able…" I frown. "Ah. I… Assume that I was responsible for that turbulence?"

"No. The existence of your Corps is exacerbating it, but it is Sinestro who was the root cause."

Oh. Right. He'd basically be Karax-Lucifer, wouldn't he? The brightest star in the Corps, only to fall and find some alternate power to the green light he'd had for his whole career.

"I suppose there's no problem with limiting our exposure. Do you have somewhere in mind?"

"The abbot of my monastery has offered to accommodate you and your fellow Orange Lanterns. Our records are extensive, and our teachings have produced many highly effective Green Lanterns."

I smile.

"Sounds like a good place to start. Anything we need to know before we arrive?"

"We're going to a monastery. It's over eight hundred years old. I expect you and your companions to treat it with respect."

"And the monks?"

"The monks are students of the green light. We are not easily turned from our path. Most of them would enjoy discussing your philosophy with you."

"Good show. Are any of your predecessors still around?"

"On Karax, we consider a power ring to be a lifetime calling."

"There's no shame in being invalided out, but, okay."

"It's not a matter of shame for failure, but having touched the green light… I can't imagine life without it. I assume that they felt the same."

"A monastery is the last place I expected to hear 'It's better to burn out than fade away.'"

"'Burning out' is an act of will; a triumph of focus over instinct. We go to our deaths embracing the green light."

Lantern Xor nods approvingly. "I respect your attitude. I think that I will like it here."

Last edited:
Though… I know from my medical scans that he retains sexual function and virility

And I'm betting his girlfriend is very pleased with that.

Green Lanterns tend to be direct and literal, and see those characteristics as virtues."

And they are nice characteristics.

You have acquired a reputation as a disruptive influence,

That's putting it mildly.

No. The existence of your Corps is exacerbating it, but it is Sinestro who was the root cause."

He was probably the first known case of someone wielding another type of power ring.

"We're going to a monastery. It's over eight hundred years old. I expect you and your companions to treat it with respect."

This may not be fo easy for Paul.

Oh. Right. He'd basically be Karax-Satan, wouldn't he?
A Fallen son, the best of his kind, prideful, rebellious, and a hell of grudge against his superiors to the point he dedicates his life to proving them wrong, cast off to a realm of suffering wherein he flourished and re-emerges with powers opposed to those he had before?

Yeah, I'd say he fits.

That whole plotline was so inane and obviously trying too hard or clumsily to be topical (no further detail since this probably already skirts the Rule). I guess the Outsiders needed public support for funding (or at least to provide a legitimate reason for Goodness to fund them) but it did seem a bit petty; beside changing public opinion or informing them, I don't remember any tangible impact it had on reducing metahuman trafficking.

I know it's unlikely for Sinestro to show up here, but I can't help but hope. I expect Paragon will want to go at least a few places his Green Lantern guide would rather he didn't. I do wonder if there's a secret heretical breakway cult dedicated to the yellow light lurking around, and the discussion of Seven Devils cultists is meant to call us back to that possibility.

26th August 2012
22:49 GMT

"…car journey, we'd compete to spot pubs and then score points based on the number of legs on the heraldry."
Heh, a patently British form of 'I Spy'. I mean, practically every small village would have its own pub, with its' own characterful signage. I take it the journey hasn't taken all that long, however. And I doubt 'I Spy' would be so easy to play when everything is flashing past at hundreds of times the speed of light. :p

Lantern Xor nods, taking in this information fairly impassively. I suppose that he doesn't have anything to compare it to, his own childhood having been spent almost entirely in state orphanages or the Warhound training centre. Though… I know from my medical scans that he retains sexual function and virility, so perhaps he's storing it away for when he has children?
I mean, I'm sure he and his comrades had their own transport rituals. Especially on the shuttles for combat deployments. Assuming it didn't involve checking each other's gear and weapons for condition, among other things. Pre-battle songs, maybe?

Lantern Onik on the other hand looks fascinated.

"Are all hostelries on your homeworld owned by the nobility?"
Alas, Heraldry in this context isn't the kind used by nobles... Though I expect they shared a lot of iconic imagery.

"No. In fact, very few are. It just became tradition at some point for public houses to identify themselves with a logo rather than call themselves by the owner's name or just plain 'pub'. How does Karax handle it?"
Hence how you get names like 'The Prancing Pony' Or 'The Pig and Whistle'...

"Most businesses would use a word to identify what sort of business they were, and then put something more abstract after it."

"So, Pub Coach and Horses rather than The Coach and Horses."
Sounds unwieldy. And on a planet this religiously inclined, I expect names like 'Bar of the Brewer's Precepts' or 'Club Anchorite's Bower'...

He looks puzzled. "No, Great Master. Not unless it was on a coach behind the horses. More like: Pub Third Canto."

"And that would be a pub that had live music?"

He nods. "Usually. Or it might refer to the themes of a particular third canto. Green Lanterns tend to be direct and literal, and see those characteristics as virtues."
Ah... How mundane. I mean, I'm sure there must be a healthy amount if night-life activities. They can't all be cloistered monks, after all. Though I guess most places aren't expected to see a lot of tourists.

I nod. "So your people do as well. I suppose I hadn't fully appreciated-"

I end the warp and drop my three passengers back into normal space at the limit of Karax's home system.
Just in case they have interdicted space closer in, eh? Would be rude to blast right into orbit.

"-what sort of changes that would bring about in the long term. So what's the best way to get in touch?"

"Oh,-" Lantern Onik shakes his head. "-no, Lanterns are free to fly directly to the planet."
With entirely no government contact? Sure, Greenies would be trustworthy by nature of their selection, but that still seems risky.

"Am I supposed to announce myself?"

"Not to the government, though it would be a good idea to keep the population informed."
...To minimise disruption to public gatherings, I would assume. I rather expect any serving Lantern would likely be mobbed by well-wishers...

"So I should hold a press conference or give an interview?"

"You could, but on Karax we have something called 'social media', wherein individuals broadcast information to the public at large-."
...Because of course they do. Any culture with a sufficiently open infosphere would develop something like that.

"Yes, I know what social media is. I just don't think it's anything like as important as is sometimes assumed. So I just… What, create an account and post that I've arrived?"

"A few images would be the usual way to introduce yourself. If-?"
Heh. I wonder if cape-spotting sites are especially popular on Earth. Amusingly, any internet-savvy villain could probably use sightings to plan their own attacks. Hear Superman's out of the country? Great time to head out.

"I can manage, thank you. Smile, everyone."

Xor takes that as an order, and… Actually, that's better than I thought it would be. Onik manages a slightly worried smile while Lantern Dul makes an effort to scowl less.
Well, at least an effort was made. Guess she's still salty about Xor's comments.

Right, pick an 'alien visitors' server, apply appropriate search tags, upload images and basic biographies and… Would like to meet…

"Okay, done. How-?"
...Please tell me you at least made sure you weren't uploading to a dating site or worse, OL. I shudder to imagine the responses you'll get anyway, though.

Green Lantern Graf Toren appears a short distance from us, and I raise my right hand in greeting.

"Lantern Toren."
Heh, Ngamer11 was right, we did get to meet the local lawman. Now, is he expecting trouble or is this just a courtesy call?

"Illustres. Why are you here?"

"I want to learn more about how mortal creatures like us are changed by using power rings. And to learn from the most capable teachers of Lanterns in the galaxy."
Smooth, OL. Like buttah. Not that a Lantern is supposed to acknowledge compliments like that...

He watches me for a moment, green bands of energy rotating around his right hand.

"Are you aware of any Reach presence here?"
Could be a bit awkward is a Reach assassination attempt was made all the way out here. Though they'd be a hell of a way from home space...

"No. Though I haven't looked."

"You are… Simply here to learn."
He sounds surprised. Is OL's reputation that bad amongst the Green Corps?

"I might also do some tourism? Is..? This a problem?"

He glances at Onik for a moment as he considers.
'Can I count on a fellow Karaxian to keep him from making too much trouble?' Probably what he's thinking right now. Honestly, Onik could manage it, too. OL definitely appears inclined to respect local knowledge here...

"Would you accept me showing you around?"

"Is there something you don't want me to see?"
...Because OL would jump straight to that...

"You have acquired a reputation as a disruptive influence, and Karax is going through a period of religious turbulence. I am concerned about what the result would be if a significant number of people tried to adopt your philosophy without the necessary depth of understanding."

"That's pretty reason.. able…" I frown. "Ah. I… Assumed that I was responsible for that turbulence?"
An understandable assumption, given he basically fostered a second galactic Corps. Are there people burning him in effigy as some manner of chromatic infidel?

"No. The existence of your Corps is exacerbating it, but it is Sinestro who was the root cause."

Oh. Right. He'd basically be Karax-Satan, wouldn't he? The brightest star in the Corps, only to fall and find some alternate power to the green light he'd had for his whole career.
Ah, that's kind of a relief. Although, it's not like having Orange Lanterns hanging around would calm things down...

"I suppose there's no problem with limiting our exposure. Do you have somewhere in mind?"

"The abbot of my monastery has offered to accommodate you and your fellow Orange Lanterns. Our records are extensive, and our teachings have produced many highly effective Green Lanterns."
...Would it be a good idea to remove his social media posts, then? If word gets out that the monastery has Orange Lanterns in residence... All manner of folk with ideas might be attracted...

I smile.

"Sounds like a good place to start. Anything we need to know before we arrive?"
No vows of silence for the duration? Mixed company's fine, or will Dul have to find another location to visit?

"And the monks?"

"The monks are students of the green light. We are not easily turned from our path. Most of them would enjoy discussing your philosophy with you."
I hope they're allowed alcohol, at least. I suspect more than a few will want a drink after a few chats with OL.

"Good show. Are any of your predecessors still around?"

"On Karax, we consider a power ring to be a lifetime calling."
So, any moral dishonour in retiring? Or is it more of a 'Die with your ring on, or die in shame' thing?

"There's no shame in being invalided out, but, okay."

"It's not a matter of shame for failure, but having touched the green light… I can't imagine life without it. I assume that they felt the same."
To be fair, have many done the same for the Orange Light? Besides our fine Coluan friend, Ms Gozzi, earlier... I can see it being a little addictive...

"A monastery is the last place I expected to hear 'It's better to burn out than fade away.'"

"'Burning out' is an act of will; a triumph of focus over instinct. We go to our deaths embracing the green light."

Lantern Xor nods approvingly. "I respect your attitude. I think that I will like it here."
Heh. Live in the moment, die for a good reason and all that.

Well, then. Let's hope things don't get out of hand thanks to OL's newfound local social media presence. Bet they'll be mobbed in any public appearances they make unless they go deep incognito, though. And I find myself wondering how many people are looking at the Orange and the Green (and Sinestro's Yellow) and thinking 'Hey, wait... I'm seeing a pattern here...'

Ah... How mundane. I mean, I'm sure there must be a healthy amount if night-life activities. They can't all be cloistered monks, after all. Though I guess most places aren't expected to see a lot of tourists.

They may not necessarily be celibate like Earth monks.

Though I'm betting their taught to resist carnal impulses through force of will, not to necessarily reject them entirely, but just so that they're not ruled by them.

With entirely no government contact? Sure, Greenies would be trustworthy by nature of their selection, but that still seems risky.

Given the religious nature of this planet, questioning religious authority, which the Lanterns technically are, might be considered sinful.

Well, at least an effort was made. Guess she's still salty about Xor's comments.

I think a scowl is her default expression.

Please tell me you at least made sure you weren't uploading to a dating site or worse, OL. I shudder to imagine the responses you'll get anyway, though.

And if the spider thing got out...

Heh, Ngamer11 was right, we did get to meet the local lawman. Now, is he expecting trouble or is this just a courtesy call?

With Paul trouble is always following.

OL definitely appears inclined to respect local knowledge here...

Just because something appears a certain way that doesn't necessarily make it true.

An understandable assumption, given he basically fostered a second galactic Corps. Are there people burning him in effigy as some manner of chromatic infidel?

Well some union people on Earth were burning effigies.

I hope they're allowed alcohol, at least. I suspect more than a few will want a drink after a few chats with OL.

I'm reminded of a scene in Monk in which a guy that's taken a vow of silence and kept it up for a decade breaks it after a few minutes of dealing with Adrian's antics.

That social media site about alien visitors... was that a local tinder equivalent?

"Meet hot single Lanterns in your Sector!"

I wonder which light would make for the best lovers?

Violett seems like the obvious choice, but emotional closeness does not necessarioly translate into good sex.

Orange Lanterns would be insatiable, Red Lanterns rough, Green ones focused with lots of stamina...

I don't think Yellow, Blue or Indigo would be all that great tbh.

Sex powered by Hope sounds...just sad.

Xor, you don't have to try anymore buddy, you're already my favorite lantern and are at least as amazing as Kilowog in long-time IRL Lantern fanatics' eyes. Someday you'll hit the level of Kilowog's teacher.

"Meet hot single Lanterns in your Sector!"

I wonder which light would make for the best lovers?

Violett seems like the obvious choice, but emotional closeness does not necessarioly translate into good sex.

Orange Lanterns would be insatiable, Red Lanterns rough, Green ones focused with lots of stamina...

I don't think Yellow, Blue or Indigo would be all that great tbh.

Sex powered by Hope sounds...just sad.

Hope is a strange emotion, especially when conflated with faith like it is in DC. I suppose… being fulfilled when your partner(s) are meeting their own high expectations for performance, behavior, emotional control, etc? I know that sounds clinical, but some people can feel quite deeply in response to such narrow, yet complex circumstances (as opposed to shrugging off opportunities to care about one's self or one's partner).

Yellow I'd connect with one's own fears. Perhaps the heart-racing excitement about risk of getting caught having sex? Primal excitement from similar situations. Though for the yellow ring bearer, they might need to reeeeeallly think about all the ways intercourse could go terribly wrong. And when you have a power ring, a lot of problems can be cut off or outright prevented with a small amount of effort. Maybe if the yellow lantern grew up in a prudish society where great swathes of sexual activity were outlawed and branded heretical, therefore they always have a bunch of fears running through his/her mind? Hmm.

Indigo I could easily connect to "hippies" and "free spirits" of a dozen varieties. "Sex is part of what makes us act like the best versions of ourselves, sure I can spread wide for you, let's have some fun." I really butchered that but the core of it comes through- free love and caring about others, regardless of our origins or histories, seems more like DC compassion than Love.

Even then, I doubt the book just says "by Paul" and he hasn't ever recovered his surname. We just know that it might be something along the lines of Chandler.

It was confirmed to be Tallowin.

And he may not need to use a last name, at least in outer space.

There are probably alien species whose members only have one name, so it may not be that strange for the books author to have nothing approaching a last or middle name.

"That's pretty reason.. able…" I frown. "Ah. I… Assumed that I was responsible for that turbulence?"

Not quite sure this is meant to be past tense. Unless it came up in the travel timeskip discussion we just witnessed the end of, I don't remember any mention before the chapter that Paul was aware of the 'turbulence' going on. Would it be 'Assume' or "I'm... Assuming" or such?

Is there a WTR discord server?
If there is, I didn't create it and don't take part in it.
Not quite sure this is meant to be past tense. Unless it came up in the travel timeskip discussion we just witnessed the end of, I don't remember any mention before the chapter that Paul was aware of the 'turbulence' going on. Would it be 'Assume' or "I'm... Assuming" or such?
Thank you, corrected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back