• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

She's the Greek goddess of misery.

When Paul first went to Erebos he saw her state of perpetual misery and tried to heal her but it didn't work.

He actually made himself miserable for a brief period trying it.
Wonder how well a Blue Ring might help her?

Coup Data (part 4)
27th October 2012
06:25 GMT +3

"Pau-?"

"Diana."

"Wha-?"

"I have been informed that your description of the event that led you to your tour of Tartarus was less than entirely complete. Would you care to expand upon it?"

Diana considers that carefully.

"Since… Hera has separated from him, Lord Zeus expressed an interest in remarrying. He asked if I would like to be considered for the position and I replied that I did not feel ready to undergo apotheosis."

"And then you were sent here."

"We discussed the possibilities, but ultimately I declined."

"Being asked to become Queen of the Gods is no insult." I actually see the stygian blackness around us turn orange for a moment. "A few days later, Lord Zeus asked me to undertake this mission. The two are not necessarily related, though I acknowledge that if I had undergone apotheosis I would not be here now."

"Understood."

"Somehow, I doubt that. Paul, I want you to promise me that you will not fight Zeus. The lightning bolt with which he struck you was but a small fraction of his strength."

"Diana, he's using your morals in order to twist your arm on the issue of marrying him, whereupon he'd be a devoted husband for maybe three months before reverting to type and treating you like he did Hera."

"Yes, that is why I said no. I still want you to promise me."

Breathe in, breathe out.

"I promise that I will not fight Zeus. Anything else?"

"Paul, please take this seriously. Any outcome of you fighting Zeus, even with the Ophidian's full support, would-."

"I am aware of the likely disruptions to the thaumosphere that would come from an entity like Zeus being consumed. I promise that I will not attempt to consume Zeus. I will be making vigorous representations concerning my disquiet at his actions to various parties."

Her right hand twitches slightly, and I extend my right hand towards her.

"If you want to check that I'm being honest, I am happy to be bound by the lasso."

She lowers her hand.

"Thank you. Please, be safe."

"Excuse me."

And I'm outside of Tartarus, and up the stairs and into the air.

That explains why they were speaking carefully around me.

To the Mountain. I think.

26th October 2012
22:27 GMT -5

"…if Olympian could-."

Richard goes silent, and the rest of the assembled team turn to stare at me.

Wallace is the first to look away, glancing left and right to see the response of the other team members.

"He's he-re."

I nod. I am indeed here.

"What have we got so far?"

Kon smiles at me. "How'd you find out?"

"Come now, Prince Kon-El. It's election season. Naturally, I visited Themyscira."

"Yeah, but Grandma said they weren't gunna tell you."

"But no one told Akhlys that she wasn't supposed to tell me. I'm not happy about certain people trying to keep me from finding out-"

I make eye contact with Ghia'ta, who has a power ring. She gulps.

"-but I think it's more important that we focus our efforts on liberating Diana."

"Ah." Wallace hesitantly points to me with his right hand. "Could you stop talking like that? And… Maybe stop glowing? It's creeping me out."

"I would be happy to do that, but I'm going to need a moment. Why don't you bring me up to speed while I do that?"

I walk into the huddle, Leonid and Tula backing away slightly. Mitchell on the other hand just nods as I try to let some of my rage bleed off. I know why I'm angry; Zeus is acting against Diana andNo. The whole team was here and on top of this. She wasn't being abandoned. This was being dealt with.

I hear Wallace exhale in relief as the orange lights die down a little.

"So… Yeah." Richard expands a hologram of Aristides Demetrios, Creeper on Argonauts and Embarrassment to Greece. "If we need extra superhuman power to fight a titan, he's on the list."

"A question."

"Go ahead?"

"How are we characterising the problem?"

"Wonder Woman's stuck in Tartarus until we're sure that the Titans aren't trying to escape."

"No." I smile as I hear Zatanna speak up. "This isn't about the Titans. This is about Zeus. This is about Zeus sending Superboy's mother into Tartarus."

Mitchell shifts slightly at his exclusion, but he clearly agrees with the sentiment.

Richard appears not to. "She didn't have to go, Zatanna."

"My dad didn't have to put the helmet on."

Kaldur steps towards the hologram. "I fear that we are being distracted. I believe that it is worth considering techniques which could be used to stop Titans-"

"Because they'll probably work on Olympians, too."

"-because such techniques could be used at any point in the future, not merely in relation to this incident. Orange Lantern, since you are clearly deeply emotionally affected by what has occurred, would you like to share your thoughts?"

"Yes."

Last edited:
If only John Constantine were available. If anyone could force an Olympian to suffer a fate worse than death, it'd be him. That's an idea. Maybe Paul will finally find him because he needs his expertise in screwing over entities who see humans as "lesser beings". Side note, it's nice to see Match in this episode.

Come no, Prince Kon-El. It's election season. Naturally, I visited Themyscira."
That should say 'now'.

Last edited:
Being asked to become Queen of the Gods is no insult

True, but being married to Zeus is.

A few days later, Lord Zeus asked me to undertake this mission. The two are not necessarily related, though I acknowledge that if I had undergone apotheosis I would not be here now."

Ohh, Diana, please stop trying to excuse Zeus's behavior.

"Understood."

"Somehow, I doubt that

Nice catch.

whereupon he's be a devoted

'he'd be a'

"I promise that I will not fight Zeus. Anything else

I notice that you didn't promise to not have someone else fight him.

I make eye contact with Ghia'ta, who has a power ring. She gulps

Yeah, if she can see your emotions, then she'd be terrified.

I walk into the huddle, Leonid and Tula backing away slightly. Mitchell on the other hand just nods as I try to let some of my rage bleed off. I know why I'm angry; Zeus is acting against Diana andNo. The whole team was here and on top of this. She wasn't being abandoned. This was being dealt with

Getting some Nabu flashbacks.

"No." I smile as I hear Zatanna speak up. "This isn't about the Titans. This is about Zeus. This is about Zeus sending Superboy's mother into Tartarus

Yep.

A reminder that Tartarus itself is a Titan or an embodiment of a primal concept. So a person.

Zeus, a child of two Titans, might make a fabulous micro-thaumosphere once his physical form has been shackled, processed, and molded into a fitting shape.

And, hey! The junior League just might get their space facilities after all. Praise modern recycling.

27th October 2012
06:25 GMT +3

"Pau-?"

"Diana."

...Oh, boy. That is a lot of red. I bet his Red Ring counterpart is having a bout of feelings of inadequacy right now without knowing why. And it's more than justified, I think, given the depth of his bonds to Diana, compared to the Zatara situation.

"Wha-?"

"I have been informed that your description of the event that led you to your tour of Tartarus was less then entirely complete. Would you care to expand upon it?"
...and apparently OL gets overly verbose when he's effing pissed.

Diana considers that carefully.

"Since… Hera has separated from him, Lord Zeus expressed an interest in remarrying. He asked if I would like to be considered for the position and I replied that I did not feel ready to undergo apotheosis."
How... Simply put. Unfortunately, Zeus isn't the sort of man to take a 'No' well...

"We discussed the possibilities, but ultimately I declined."
Good for you.

"Being asked to become Queen of the Gods is no insult." I actually see the stygian blackness around us turn orange for a moment. "A few days later, Lord Zeus asked me to undertake this mission. The two are not necessarily related, though I acknowledge that if I had undergone apotheosis I would not be here now."
...And yet you're trying to excuse it. There are limits to how far you should be willing to go to be forgiving, Diana, and this is way past them...

"Understood."

"Somehow, I doubt that. Paul, I want you to promise me that you will not fight Zeus. The lightning bolt with which he struck you was but a small fraction of his strength."
I'm sure it was. Doesn't mean it can't be worked around.

"Diana, he's using your morals in order to twist your arm on the issue of marrying him, whereupon he's be a devoted husband for maybe three months before reverting to type and treating you like he did Hera."

"Yes, that is why I said no. I still want you to promise me."
Well, at least she's smart enough to recognise that landmine.

Breathe in, breathe out.

"I promise that I will not fight Zeus. Anything else?"
Note that leaves plenty of wiggle room to arrange for others to do so.

"Paul, please take this seriously. Any outcome of you fighting Zeus, even with the Ophidian's full support, would-."

"I am aware of the likely disruptions to the thaumosphere that would come from an entity like Zeus being consumed. I promise that I will not attempt to consume Zeus. I will be making vigorous representations concerning my disquiet at his actions to various parties."
Perhaps recommending chastisement in the form of rendering Zeus a eunuch... He wouldn't even be the first head of a Pantheon to be unmanned.

Her right hand twitches slightly, and I extend my right hand towards her.

"If you want to check that I'm being honest, I am happy to be bound by the lasso."
Believe me, if you couldn't find dozens of ways to sidestep those promises, what would the Lasso reveal? Loophole abuse for the win.

She lowers her hand.

"Thank you. Please, be safe."
Ah. She knows he's going to do something, no matter what she says.

"Excuse me."

And I'm outside of Tartarus, and up the stairs and into the air.
Hopefully staying subsonic on the trip. I doubt Hades would tolerate sonic booms in the halls of the Underworld.

That explains why they were speaking carefully around me.

To the Mountain. I think.
See what her adopted sons have to say about this...

26th October 2012
22:27 GMT -5

"…if Olympian could-."
Hmm... Interesting idea. Having someone empowered by artefacts of the Greek pantheon going against that pantheon's gods...

Richard goes silent, and the rest of the assembled team turn to stare at me.

Wallace is the first to look away, glancing left and right to see the response of the other team members.
I suspect OL's aura is more than a little reddish-orange at this point...

"He's he-re."

I nod. I am indeed here.
Silly boy. not recognising a classic Poltergeist reference.

"What have we got so far?"

Kon smiles at me. "How'd you find out?"
A slip of the tongue. Loose lips sink ships, or in this case, gods...

"Come no, Prince Kon-El. It's election season. Naturally, I visited Themyscira."

"Yeah, but Grandma said they weren't gunna tell you."
True, they did a good job of avoiding the reasons for Diana's visit. Admirable.

"But no one told Akhlys that she wasn't supposed to tell me. I'm not happy about certain people trying to keep me from finding out-"

I make eye contact with Ghia'ta, who has a power ring. She gulps.
And somewhere in space, the Butcher is lifting its head, sniffing the aether.

"-but I think it's more important that we focus our efforts on liberating Diana."

"Ah." Wallace hesitantly points to me with his right hand. "Could you stop talking like that? And… Maybe stop glowing? It's creeping me out."
Seriously, it's starting to look a bit hellish in here...

"I would be happy to do that, but I'm going to need a moment. Why don't you bring me up to speed while I do that?"

I walk into the huddle, Leonid and Tula backing away slightly. Mitchell on the other hand just nods as I try to let some of my rage bleed off. I know why I'm angry; Zeus is acting against Diana andNo. The whole team was here and on top of this. She wasn't being abandoned. This was being dealt with.
I like that Mitchell is the only one who has no issues with the Rage. He's felt overwhelming rage before, back when he was first decanted.

I hear Wallace exhale in relief as the orange lights die down a little.

"So… Yeah." Richard expands a hologram of Aristides Demetrios, Creeper on Argonauts and Embarrassment to Greece. "If we need extra superhuman power to fight a titan, he's on the list."
I'm sure the Greek-speaking internet cape fandom has plenty of memes about him.

"A question."

"Go ahead?"
Admittedly, this is when OL's at his most dangerous. Cold, calculating displeasure...

"How are we characterising the problem?"

"Wonder Woman's stuck in Tartarus until we're sure that the Titans aren't trying to escape."
A neat summation of the surface problem. But...

"No." I smile as I hear Zatanna speak up. "This isn't about the Titans. This is about Zeus. This is about Zeus sending Superboy's mother into Tartarus."

Mitchell shifts slightly at his exclusion, but he clearly agrees with the sentiment.
...Trust her to see through the bullshit and cut to the core. :D

Richard appears not to. "She didn't have to go, Zatanna."

"My dad didn't have put to the helmet on."
...So it's possible Zeus may have made implied threats to the Superboys... Let's hope OL doesn't think of that.

Kaldur steps towards the hologram. "I fear that we are being distracted. I believe that it is worth considering techniques which could be used to stop Titans-"

"Because they'll probably work on Olympians, too."
Heck, they'd probably be more effective, since Olympians have a fraction of their elder's power.

"-because such techniques could be used at any point in the future, not merely in relation to this incident. Orange Lantern, since you are clearly deeply emotionally affected by what has occurred, would you like to share your thoughts?"

"Yes."
I feel like this is the point where old-fashioned performances might ask 'women, children and those with weak constitutions to please step out of the theatre'... :confused:

Well, talk about 'seeing red'... I'm surprised things weren't starting to catch on fire around OL. Still, I don't think the Team quite appreciates how unhappy he is about this situation. Though I suspect they're about to get some insight. Man, imagine if the Orange Lanterns had seen that display. Or the Reach... :sneaky: They'd be able to build a fortress with the bricks.

Time to start looking for a replacement for Zeus as head of the Greek Pantheon. Black Adam has his thunder shtick and could help his old pal OL with toppling down Zeus, and taking his seat. They just have to find a way for Adam to become a God, but I'm sure Paul can do it. There's only benefits: no longer a idiot as Head of Greek Gods, you have a God who has walked as a mortal so knows the struggles of humanity, better relations between Kanhdaq-Themiscyra ans the rest od the world,

This feels... really male power fantasy-ish.

I mean... I love the idea of Paul going toe-to-toe with Zeus. He's already gone to war with heaven, and greatly improved the after-lifes of two religions thus far. Honestly, this fight has been a long time coming. But Paul does realize that he's defending Wonder Woman's honor here, right?

If Jade had decided to join Paul's pantheon, and Zeus took the opportunity of having a new follower to try and Amphyitrion her. That would be really dark, but Paul would have ample right to go full Kratos on him. But this is Wonder Woman. A demigod who has canonically been around since WWII. She can handle an aggressive suitor and apparently a passive-aggressive gaslighter. It comes across as really patronizing here that Paul is getting more angry about this than Diana is. Like, 'the poor woman who grew up worshipping Zeus and is literally training his bastard daughter and managed to reject his advances is now in danger of being manipulated via her morals I must save her from this threat she is blind to'. It's very disrespectful of Paul. Sure, he's always been disrespectful of Zeus, but it feels like he doesn't respect Wonder Woman to handle problems in her own pantheon. This is the first time they've argued since the death of Nabu, and it seems all of Themiscera, a country he does respect in his way whose rules and elections he follows, has realized that Paul is going to get angry and he's not respecting anyone's wishes that he stay out of the affairs of gods he's been worshipping for what, three years now to Diana's seventy and Hyppolyta's millenias?

Than again it does fit in with the Young Justice asthetic. Like Zagreus pointed out, sometimes the hero needs to learn a lesson once his thirty minute adventure is all wrapped up. Still, Paul has made a point of figuring out the aesops of other peoples stories. He doesn't realize that Wonder Woman, immortal warrior and founding member of the Justice League, can maybe defend herself here? She's made mistakes a few times sure, this story has demonstrated her flaws as well as her strengths, but is 'can be led around like a pawn on Zeus' board' really on her list of flaws?

Maybe you have a good idea to wrap this arc up with, but the way it's starting is... leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

I mean... I love the idea of Paul going toe-to-toe with Zeus. He's already gone to war with heaven, and greatly improved the after-lifes of two religions thus far. Honestly, this fight has been a long time coming. But Paul does realize that he's defending Wonder Woman's honor here, right?

If Jade had decided to join Paul's pantheon, and Zeus took the opportunity of having a new follower to try and Amphyitrion her. That would be really dark, but Paul would have ample right to go full Kratos on him. But this is Wonder Woman. A demigod who has canonically been around since WWII. She can handle an aggressive suitor and apparently a passive-aggressive gaslighter. It comes across as really patronizing here that Paul is getting more angry about this than Diana is. Like, 'the poor woman who grew up worshipping Zeus and is literally training his bastard daughter and managed to reject his advances is now in danger of being manipulated via her morals I must save her from this threat she is blind to'. It's very disrespectful of Paul. Sure, he's always been disrespectful of Zeus, but it feels like he doesn't respect Wonder Woman to handle problems in her own pantheon. This is the first time they've argued since the death of Nabu, and it seems all of Themiscera, a country he does respect in his way whose rules and elections he follows, has realized that Paul is going to get angry and he's not respecting anyone's wishes that he stay out of the affairs of gods he's been worshipping for what, three years now to Diana's seventy and Hyppolyta's millenias?

Than again it does fit in with the Young Justice asthetic. Like Zagreus pointed out, sometimes the hero needs to learn a lesson once his thirty minute adventure is all wrapped up. Still, Paul has made a point of figuring out the aesops of other peoples stories. He doesn't realize that Wonder Woman, immortal warrior and founding member of the Justice League, can maybe defend herself here? She's made mistakes a few times sure, this story has demonstrated her flaws as well as her strengths, but is 'can be led around like a pawn on Zeus' board' really on her list of flaws?

Maybe you have a good idea to wrap this arc up with, but the way it's starting is... leaving a bad taste in my mouth.
It's not about logic but the emotional response. Regardless of how he acts I believe that Paul still has some trauma from the Dr Fate fiasco, so having Zeus push those buttons sent him right over the "Diana can take care of herself, she's a demigoddess warrior with friends" right to "Zeus is imprisoning one of my closest friends / mentors for having the "gall" to not fall head over heels to marry him against their will. He will die now. I do so decree.".

I'm not sure Paul would care about how Diana will feel at the end, as long as she's alive and Zeus is gone.

Diana is powerful and competent, but Zeus is still Zeus, so he's probably a hundred times stronger than her and he could potentially just not try something subtle like this Tartarus thing and just attacks her personally.

Also she's in a place where a bunch of uber powerful gods are located and who may try to kill her if they get the chance to.

Plus, even if Diana makes it out of this alive and unscathed, that still doesn't stop the problem of Zeus.

Zeus would still be out there, doing his shit and hurting people, and the next time he tries to remarry, he probably won't take no for an answer and either force himself on the person in question or have them do something like Diana is doing, but they won't be as capable as Diana is.

Paul has no reason to believe that Zeus will just stop what he's doing, or that Diana would try to overthrow him and potentially imprison him since she hasn't shown anything so far that poins to her even considering it, so he's doing it.

On the off chance that this is actually Zeus's way of getting Diana ready for Apotheosis via hero quest and NOT a petty reaction to being rejected.
I recommend OL send Zeus on a galaxy wide wife hunt. FAR AWAY FROM DIANA instead of simply letting things lie.

On another note. The adventures of SPACE!Zeus sound hilarious and raunchy. I'm glad we're in QQ.
There is a non-zero chance of him impregnating/marrying a new god.
Bonus points if he hooks up with the spider queen Paul accidentally massaged.

There is also the option of sending him to hit on Isis/Adrianna Tomaz so that she immediately goes to Teth instead of this being a long drawn out work relationship.

And now the idea of Zeus undertaking labors to win back Hera via repairing/relationships in his own way is hillarious. He also looks fetching in purple.

Last edited:
One shotting Zeus wouldn't be fighting him. But since Zeus sent Diana to Tartarus... I'm thinking Paul will be asking his demon friend for help in keeping Zeus handled.

so the alternatives to 'fighting' Zeus would be:

disappearing him: containment in another dimension/universe or hell
unmaking him: cessation of existence version, replacement needed.
'unmaking' him: changing his wants at a basic enough level that he becomes another, hopefully worthy of his position, version of himself.
Judo-lawyering WW's task? seems to be what the team is mostly pointed to, plus preparations for titan fighting.
Diplomatic pressure? Hera + female goddesses + underworld greek pantheon are access points but Zeus has been Zeusing for several millennia at that point. And... some female goddesses may prefer that Diana take the fall for them.

Finding Zeus a wife who won't give a fuck about who he's rutting with? Someone who he would find appealing but who would deserve him and be at his moral level... Perhaps OL could give Granny goodness a makeover?

Last edited:

So what exactly would the consequences be? Is Zeus really active in maintaining sky-related magic in the thaumosphere? I can understand disruptions caused by the fight itself but this sounds more like if Zeus just disappeared, there'd be a lot of mechanical effects on the metaphysical ecology of the Earth (a different kind of consequence from more logistical considerations like an Olympian power vacuum civil war and an impact on divine politics at large).

Wait, didn't paul literally have to fight a titan at one point?

Kinda makes me wonder why they didn't have anti-titan strategies anyway.

Maybe because he doesn't need to fight a Titan at least once a month, so he didn't prioritize getting anti-Titan weaponry.

So what exactly would the consequences be? Is Zeus really active in maintaining sky-related magic in the thaumosphere? I can understand disruptions caused by the fight itself but this sounds more like if Zeus just disappeared, there'd be a lot of mechanical effects on the metaphysical ecology of the Earth (a different kind of consequence from more logistical considerations like an Olympian power vacuum civil war and an impact on divine politics at large).

Try to imagine something from like God of War when a god dies.

What if this turns out to be some idiotic plan on Zeus' part to woo her?

Like, she inspects prison, "somehow" a Titan gets out and here comes Zeus to the rescue!
Has he shown evidence of using indirect methods before?
I think this is exactly what it says on the tin: "If you won't marry me I order you to go clean Tartarus with a toothbrush!!"

Zeus gave Dana her coins so she would fight Paul right? Why couldn't Zeus fight Paul directly? Aside from when Paul was at Zeus temple, he's never directly done anything to Paul.

Zeus gave Dana her coins so she would fight Paul right? Why couldn't Zeus fight Paul directly? Aside from when Paul was at Zeus temple, he's never directly done anything to Paul.
The coins contained power that came from four gods, one of whom just happened to be Zeus. I doubt he directly manipulated things so that Dana would steal them.

And somewhere in space, the Butcher is lifting its head, sniffing the aether.

Oh god, can you imagine the Ophidian's reaction if one of her siblings/counterparts tried to horn in on HER Agent? And the Butcher would be all too happy to go to war.

From their perspective, it's just some light-hearted harem anime BS. From the perspective of literally everyone else, whole sections of the universe are turning into WH40K fanart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back