1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Same here!

2. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

While yes I agree that he probably killed a guy and wore his face as a party hat, I would hope they think to check if the guy's locked in a closet with a bucket somewhere.

3. KaiKolo

KaiKolo Know what you're doing yet?

I always do like the exploration of how the legal system would work when you have people at all steps of the legal process who don't fit the traditional mold of a "normal human". I wonder how a prison like this would be structured so that it can accommodate prisoners from so many countries that may require different levels of security.

If there are no local prisons capable of handling magic users convicted of minor offenses, then this prison in Spain would be required to cover everything from minimum security to maximum security and maybe even juvenile detention.

4. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yes, that's about the reaction I'd have expected, once the shock of the reveal passed. Somehow, I don't think she's ever going to let the real John anywhere near her ever again, so that little period when they lived together isn't likely to ever happen (assuming it hasn't already.)

Entirely true. It was only dumb luck that they even spotted demon-boy there.

Even if she was the love of that contact's life for a while.

Probably a good thing he's not handy right now, because I'm sure she'd like to put her foot somewhere painful. And likely make John the first devotee of Ares' new role. :p

Which only makes its existence all the more cruel, really. Sure, it made it seem even more realistic, but... Dick Move, John-o.

Given the feelings you saw? Probably accurate. But it was still a Demon. Sooner or later, shit would go down that got her hurt or worse.

Probably not going to be a happy ending on that front.

Nah, I doubt it would put that much effort into a disguise...

At least he didn't just go and peel someone's face off?

See? Demon.

Yeah, a knee in the delicates probably isn't going to affect the Demon Constantine as much as it might the original.

Could be anything there, ranging from a simple 'love this person' charm to a 'slowly leech away her health over the course of months' enchantment.

I get the feeling she isn't ever going to let anyone that close ever again. Well done, Johnny-boy...

Chances of her finding one? Looking increasingly slim, given her apparent luck with men... The first bloke she had died of liver failure, the second was John Constantine, this one was a Demon...

Old maid time it is. How do you feel about cats?

Yes, that was rather the point of their investigations. Not necessarily for any crimes, but...

The sweeter the honey pot...

Unless it's so she can disembowel him. With a rusty spoon...

One of the most heavily warded places in the station, so no popping in directly even if he didn't create a spike in background Avarice, huh?

I mean, the actual mechanics of the prison would be relatively easy to work out. Spells that work like the binding chains, suppressing all but the background level of energy... Building it to last? That'll be the real trick, eh?

Let's hope no-ones in any sort of embarrassing positions, eh? :D

Well, taking no chances, even if he is playing nice, I see.

Well, shit. No potted plant for you, then.

Gee, you think he might actually be telling the truth? :confused:

Ooh, you might earn that potted plant after all. Too bad it can't be an actual Pot plant. Probably illegal in Louisiana in this universe.

Though I can see the answer being 'only if he sits on it.' I can't imagine Waller being too happy that he got out.

Well, that's mildly helpful, at least.

A pity for the lady's love life, but at least they're one step closer to finding John. This is starting to look like a round of 'Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego'... Which is no bad thing, admittedly. Those were great games. But I rather expect OL is looking forwards to the final level, where he can finally get his hands on John properly... And maybe choke him for a bit for all this trouble.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

That's fairly standard protocol for John-o.

The Fawcett City thing was enough for me.

And sadly it may not affect the original as much now.

Yep.

Cuchulin, kerleth and moralrelativity like this.
  6. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Make it Agave tequilana? I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

7. cerberus beasty

cerberus beasty Making the rounds.

It's things like this that remind me that Constantine is not a good person ,he's just less evil than the monsters he fights, but said monsters being demons from the bowels of hell makes that a low fucking bar.

8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

9. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Aww we spoiled his relationship. Should have stayed in jail and bargained freedom.

10. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

I know people are making a lot of jokes, but was Demon Constantine's plan really just to date this woman, or was something else going on?

Cuchulin, Prince Charon, Ardy and 7 others like this.
  11. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

We don't know. I prefer to think that it was a demon genuinely trying to have a loving relationship. So much more interesting than the alternative IMO.

12. Mr Zoat

Yes, but... You know that Chris Rock standup performance where he says, 'that tiger didn't go crazy, that tiger went tiger'?

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  13. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

I kind of do. Maybe the real John tried to reform Demon Constantine by reprogramming him or something, but he still killed a guy to wear his face because Demon Logic?

14. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Think you mean 'Doctor Mist is single'

And I love that Paul apparently decided to match make with the two people right there. Dr. Balewa certainly should look out...

Funny enough, I have seen someone kill a cactus. Mostly by watering it. Though I imagine certain ones are off the list, given uses in rituals and the like.

I do love this worldbuilding, and the thought put into it. A DC world without having to resemble the Real World too closely was always going to look more wild, and this seems like an excellent idea.

15. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

16. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I think you mean "hellion"

its

17. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

To be fair, this seems like a rather John Constantine thing for Paul to do.

18. Mr Zoat

No.
    Thank you, corrected.

19. Threadmarks: Fallout: Iowa (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

2nd November 2282
    17:49 CDT

"You're a little late there, Krono. We were starting to get worried."

I nod absently, the handset of the truck's radio in my right hand.

"We were attacked, Lieutenant Governor Granite. Some novel sort of robot, a squad of them."

"Casualties?"

"Thirteen dead, two of mine and eleven of yours. Our air cover's fallen back for repairs. We dealt with the injured in situ."

I can almost hear him blink in confusion. "Where's that?"

"Near where we were attacked, just outside the radiation belt."

"What sorta weapons did the robots have?"

"Gamma radiation-based guns. The type the basic robots had would burn through regular combat armour, and the support variant made a mess of two of our trucks. We had to leave one behind. They also had force field shields, and I think their control systems were networked. They could coordinate perfectly, though they didn't seem to be able to detect my Ghosts."

"Power armour?"

"We don’t have power armour with us. Given how it affected the truck armour, I think the support weapon would penetrate most types of power armour."

"Hell. What about their armour?"

"Gauss guns went through it easily enough, though that didn't stop them unless it hit somewhere vital. No particular resistance to psychic powers."

"Any get away?"

"Yes. Three. I didn't think it was a good idea to follow them into their territory."

"Think they're headed our way?"

"We didn't see them last time we drove through, or any time before. They weren't impeded by the radiation at all. We salvaged the wrecks and I'm hoping that your people would have a look at them."

"Can do. You gunna head back out right away?"

"No. Given your shortage of power armour, I think it would be best if my people stuck around for a little while, until we know one way or the other if the robots are a threat to you."

"I appreciate that. I'll let the Governor know and we'll sort out somewhere for you to stay until this gets sorted out."

Which is going to be awkward. East Coast Enclave weren't… Quite as genocidal as the West Coast Purists, but they're uncomfortable being this dependant on someone who isn't hailing them as the rightful government of America. Getting their arses kicked twice by some random vault dweller rather took the wind out of their sails, but they wouldn't be the Enclave if they were a friendly, easy going sort of people.

"I'll see you shortly. Over and out."

I put the radio down, and take a moment to look through the truck's front window. Dust storms are very common in this part of the states, and most of the dust is radioactive. It's not much of a problem for the Enclave's G.E.C.K., which will happily keep feeding on radiation long after its initial miraculous activation, but it wrecks our visibility. If we ran into something we'd get next to no notice. I've never seen a feral ghoul capable of controlling complex machinery but we've had the occasional 'ghoul strike' while driving through here before. And those robots weren't bothered by radiation.

I can't see anything much but the road directly ahead of us, and psychometry isn't giving me anything either.

"How long until we get there?"

The driver glances at me. I instinctively want to tell him to watch the road, but there's no other traffic and the road is ruler-straight.

"Couple of minutes until we get clear, then another half-hour to Independence City."

I nod, patting him on the shoulder. "Let me know if you see anything."

"Will do, chief."

I carefully extricate myself from my seat and turn around, opening the armoured hatch between the cabin and the troop compartment and walking through, then sealing it behind me.

"That Granite?"

Sergeant Dornan's face betrays no emotion, his eyes fixed on me.

"Yes."

"How did that happen?"

"He and his squad turned up in Groom Lake pretending to be wastelanders after they skipped town ahead of Doctor Anderson's assassins. We knew they weren't, but they had more education than my tribe so we put them to work fixing up the old air base. When Anderson lost New Reno I realised that keeping him with me might risk alienating the New California Republic." I shrug. "I already had Independence City going, so it seemed like a good place to send them."

His eyes narrow slightly.

"Is that so."

I smile and nod. "I had some people watching Elder Lyons. My people's aircraft make long distance scouting easy, and we wanted to know where every Brotherhood chapter was. Lyons seemed like a good man, so my Ghosts decided to lend him a hand."

By breaking into their food storage lockers and leaving fresh fruit and vegetables, something that eventually resulted in them trapped in some Elmer Fudd rabbit trap the Brotherhood's half-crazed quartermaster rigged up and needing me to bail them out.

"After the East Coast Enclave lost their confrontation with everyone else in Washington DC, I decided that evacuating them was preferable to losing their technical expertise."

Dornan grunts.

"Why was it that you decided to back Anderson over Granite? I understand Anderson hating wastelanders after he was taken as a slave, but you lived in California and Nevada for years. You must have known that the wastelanders were just people."

"I had my reasons."

"I do need to know that you're not going to try murdering the Lieutenant Governor."

"Anderson's not alive to give me orders. I'll only kill Granite if Autumn orders me to."

"I'm pretty sure that Governors aren't allowed to order National Guardsmen to kill their Lieutenant Governors. America isn't supposed to be a military dictatorship, Sergeant. And Iowa certainly isn't. We're not acting under a State of Emergency; we've transitioned back to normal civilian rule. The rule of law and the Constitution of the United States of America."

"If that's what Autumn orders me to do, that's what I'll do."

And the rest of the Enclave soldiers in the truck are going to take their lead from him, even if they're not going to say anything. Lieutenant Orwich has their respect as their officer. Dornan's an institution. And I think… He's not committing because he doesn't want to have to make another choice after his last big one blew up so badly. He hasn't seen what we've done in Iowa and for all his deranged patriotism hasn't ever lived in America. He doesn't get it, and given his age probably won't.

"I-."

"Krono!" The shout comes from our driver. "Leaving the dust now!"

I nod, and after a moment's hesitation reach back and pull open the interlock door.

"Ladies and gentlemen, take a look at your new home."

Last edited: May 20, 2022
  20. Travisplo

Travisplo Dapper Necromonsieur, a fine undead gentleman

I do like the Falloutverse and the WHF-verse Pauls.

21. Imperator Pax

Imperator Pax Talon Master

I'm only passingly keep up with the story, I personally don't give a shit about fallout so its meh, but WHF I enjoy.

Last edited: May 20, 2022
    Jaron, ChestBurster, vaegrim and 2 others like this.
  22. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Heh. Krono has good reason for the delay, though. Random encounters happen in the wasteland, and when you're as high a level as he is, well... Still, this is going to be an interesting check-in. I hope he as least got some good loot drops, though.

Down to business, I see. There's that military training for you.

I'm guessing he's assuming that's the name of the place, since I doubt he's educated well enough to recognise Latin... :rolleyes:

Good question, since if they were that close, they could show up on the doorstep soon enough.

Unless it has a forcefield, I suspect the result would be cooked, canned bacon.

In other words, 'how easy is it to kill them?'

Since I doubt the psychic powers bit helps them much.

Well, if whoever created them is looking to expand...

After an all-day drive? I'd be tempted to spend the night.

Somewhere safely out of sight of the honest, god-fearing citizens, I suppose? :rolleyes:

It generally happens, when said vault dwellers have Protagonist Power.

I rather imagine hitting one of them would be rather unpleasant for all involved, too.

Hey, at least it isn't quite as bad as the dust storm in 'Mad Max: Fury Road'...

Hooray for old American highway design, eh?

Heh. Anything that isn't dust, anyway... :p

Keeping the door locked, huh? Still a bit wary of them even now?

Some quite frankly contrived coincidences, no doubt. The sort of thing a comic book writer might come up with? :p

Making the best of a bad roll for random events, eh? Such is the grand game.

Yes, basically telling him you set up the Eden kit, then. Or at least took advantage of its existence. Which one, I expect he'll reserve judgement on...

...Did it involve noodles, I wonder? :cool: Whatever the cause, I'm sure there were some very red faces amongst those troops.

Yeah, I can't see him being pleased to hear about that kind of setback to the cause...

'Submission to rightful authority' and all that, I suppose. The Enclave probably don't like to encourage that kind of independent thought in their troops...

A Good Soldier, eh? I don't know how far that attitude will take you out here, though...

Eh, leave him be, Krono, he's clearly made his mind up...

Perhaps he might surprise you, though. Never count a man out until he's dead...

Sunshine and clear land again, hooray, eh?

Hopefully one at a time, since there's only so much space up front, I would assume.

Good to see the rest of Krono's road trip was reasonably quiet. Though there's still many things he has to worry about. Like where the 'bots came from. Whether the Enclave boys will fit in out here. Can the Sarge overcome his prejudices, and his ingrained conditioning... I expect this won't be the last we'll be seeing of him this episode.

Unless that's some kind of slang, should those be 'wastelanders'?
    "If that's what Autumn orders me to do, that's what I'll do."

23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Oh. He's running into the Institute.

Well... Sucks to be him given the only reason they would be that far out is them having won the four way.

Relyt33 and fappingtoyourpost like this.
  24. Mr Zoat

No, it's part of the design. It's supposed to be an ABC protection measure, so that if one compartment gets a hole the rest of the vehicle isn't compromised. Like most aspects of pre-War design, it's not all that great, but it was easier to replicate the whole thing than design something completely new.
    Not exactly. Granite Senior from the game was the sort of person who would listen to a rational argument from a 'mutant'. His son developed a similar attitude.
    Thank you, corrected.

25. 012345

012345 Well worn.

Why would West Coast Enclave fight in Washington DC that is on East Coast?

26. Mr Zoat

This is why I got a B in GCSE Geography.

27. Finagle007

Finagle007 [Verified Great Old One]

What did Krono end up doing with Krona's corpse and ring?

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  28. Mr Zoat

The corpse is in storage in Groom Lake. The ring is with his original orange ring on his necklace.

29. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Random question, but how many musical numbers are there in the story at this point? These are the ones I can remember, with more or less detail:

Paragon:
    -Never Split the Party, early on after Clayface mission I believe (given it's about not splitting up)
    -Heroic song on Themyscira, first appearance on Themyscira's public forum and Hippolyta
    -Suicide Squad dream-sequence (?) during Ambush Bug's April Fool's episode, though I'm surprised we don't get more or longer songs (as far as I remember)
    -Keeping the Dream Alive, karaoke outing on his last day with the Team (thanks for introducing me to the song, by the way)

Renegade:
    -Perhaps Love, when meeting the Star Sapphires
    -Sunset Shimmer's Lucifer cover
    -Renegade's happy freedom song after being cured of Anti-Life
    -Somalia, Land of the Free, on some guest spot on a politics/news show
    -Protomen's The Stand during the fight with Kelly and Terror Thing in Avalon/Morgaine's domain (background music rather than musical number, but I liked the song a lot)

I think Pied Piper Rathaway was already mentioned as the guy messing around with sound technology, unless that was someone else. So it doesn't seem like he'll herald a new musical number (or perhaps episode???) at any point.

mastermenthe, m_d, Cuchulin and 3 others like this.
  30. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

We heard part of one from the Renegade in a flashback to how he decapitated Queen Chrysalis.