• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

You offered to change his biology on a fundamental level a few seconds ago, using a method he has never seen or heard of before, and who you may not have even really used, since the Jaffa you hang around probably don't want to change.

Even people that would like to change their bodies wouldn't take you up on that offer.

The fact that he sees you as a scum-sucking parasite that he's known for like less than a hour and who insulted him and his allies is not doing your sales pitch any favors.
That isn't the point. The point is to take away the moral high ground.

I really don't understand why this Paul is so hostile to the star gate people

Paul's that choose a side like to needle the other side if they think that side has wronged them.

It's actually a fairly prominent trait among Paul's that seem to pick the less savory sides, like this one has.

I get he's pretending to be a Goa'uld but it seems to go beyond that. That last dig at Teal'c for example. That feels like a bit much

I think Zoat mentioned that since no Goa'uld would like a traitor Jaffa, then Paul was going to act like he doesn't like him to keep up appearances.

Did Paul really not like the Stargate show or something?

He doesn't even remember the show.

None of the Paul's remember the setting they are in.

He only remembers the movie.

I really don't understand why this Paul is so hostile to the star gate people.

I get he's pretending to be a Goa'uld but it seems to go beyond that. That last dig at Teal'c for example. That feels like a bit much.

If you reread the start of the story you can see the effects of the people he works with has on him; regular path and the renegade path

Paul's that choose a side like to needle the other side if they think that side has wronged them.

It's actually a fairly prominent trait among Paul's that seem to pick the less savory sides, like this one has.
Orange light highlights in group out group dynamics.

"Besides, if you rotate the stargate so that the open end facing the ceiling, sending the bomb through probably wouldn't work. He'd think the Earth had a new crater, Earth would be fine, and your team could just dial back after he left."
Season 4 Episode 15.

Radiation can travel backwards through an open wormhole, so Ra would have been able to detect whether it detonated or not from his ship in orbit of Abydos.

9th October 1999
13:38 MDT

"…is our lab."

Major Carter opens the door and leads the way inside.

I look around the science laboratory/workshop with some interest. It's far more sophisticated than anything I ever worked with at school, though thanks to Am-heh the partially-disassembled goa'uld devices on display are more familiar than the human analytical machines being used to study them.
The question is, if they put them back together exactly how they took them apart, will they still work? That's the drawback of destructive reverse-engineering - unless you have spares, you lose the item you're studying... Though I suppose they have multiple sources now, so not as bad a concern...

"Mine's better."

"Maybe you can show me if I visit Syrania."
Heh.Now that would be a tempting offer. Especially if it comes with technical training in understanding the things they have.

"I'd be happy to. You, I'm happy to invite." I frown. "Do you really have time to do research as well as your field missions?"

Her eyebrows rise for a moment. "Without wanting to say anything I might be called to testify about in the Hague, most of our missions are focus on finding technology to help with defending the Earth. Taking what I find apart and working out how it works is a part of my field missions."
Sadly, such missions rarely go to plan, do they? :p All that protagonist energy making for complications.

"Ah." She looks curious. "Goa'uld are sometimes accused of only being able to copy technology that other species developed. It's pleasant to watch humans do things in the exact same way."

"It's not.. quite the same."
Is it? Humanity, at least has the handicap of only knowing what a thing does, but having to work out how for themselves. A Goa'Uld can rip that from a host's mind and arrange for a Queen to pass it on.

"I-" I nod. "-think it is. We dig up ancient technology, you dig up ancient technology…"

"But I've got access to teams of thousands of people who can work on reverse engineering anything we find."
Well, those cleared to know about the origins of the tech, anyway.

I nod. "Which is why I'm trying to develop a similar technology base. Literally any goa'uld can outperform any human scientist, but we can't beat those numbers. We've stagnated as a society."

"And that's why you're trying to carry out an industrial revolution."
Yes, pretty logical. Not entirely why he's doing it, I think, but good enough for government work.

"And why I'm happy to talk to Earth. Or the United States, at least. My ideal solution involves the System Lords agreeing to leave Earth alone and for both sides to respect one another's borders. Fighting you doesn't get us anything, it just-. Apophis attacked you because you killed Ra and he wanted to establish his credentials before the other System Lords as Ra's successor. But Heru'ur wasn't ever going to decide not to fight him, so… Who was he trying to prove himself to? I haven't been able to check everywhere, but were you even using your stargate between your original journey to Abydos and the time when Apophis attacked you?"
Given what happened the first time they opened it, I'd say the government had good reason not to...

"Setting up Stargate Command took-."

I nod. "You weren't, right. So he just.. stuck his arm in a meat grinder to prove a point… To himself, because he still hadn't gotten over Ra becoming Supreme System Lord ahead of him. I really wish you people hadn't killed Ra."
It is kind of a foolish reason, and he ended up poking a rather nasty little animal in its lair...

"He was planning to send a naquada-enhanced nuke through the stargate to Earth."

"And how did the nuke get there?"
...Good comeback.

She considers that for a moment, then shrugs awkwardly.

"Besides, if you rotate the stargate so that the open end facing the ceiling, sending the bomb through probably wouldn't work. He'd think the Earth had a new crater, Earth would be fine, and your team could just dial back after he left."
Sadly, that would be conveniently intelligent.

"Did Ra know Earth's location?"

"Yes, of course he did, but he did nothing with that knowledge for three thousand years."
And to be fair, he probably expected it to be much the same as he left it, on the assumption that humans weren't clever enough to advance...

"Why?"

"Why? Because he had what he needed and Earth didn't have any rare resources." I shrug. "Usually, leaving human-inhabited worlds to their own devices doesn't cause problems. You must have seen enough worlds that the goa'uld have abandoned to know that."
Well, it had one useful resource, but he probably found the last time he tried to dial, back after the rebellion, that transit wasn't safe...

"We're not the only technologically advanced human world."

"Sure, but how many are advanced enough to have faster than light travel? Because that's the point where they actually become a problem. With anything else, a mid-tier underlord can bombard them into dust with a single ha'tak. Or an asteroid and a couple of rocket motors."
Rocks cost money, citizen. The Empire had the right idea: massed energy-weapon bombardment. Whatever isn't fried by the blaster bolts gets cooked as the atmosphere adjusts to the sudden extra dump of thermal energy...

"Apophis sent two ha'taks to Earth and we're still here."

"Yes, and no doubt you could do that again tomorrow with no warning-." I bow my head. "I'm sorry, that was unnecessarily threatening. And I know about your favoured status under the Protected Planets Treaty, and the System Lords are nowhere near ready for a new war with the asgard. But… You do need to understand that the only reason you're still here is that no one who could have dealt with you bothered to do so for three thousand years."
So they're just too much hassle to deal with? That'd deflate any 'Humans are special' ego thing they've got going.

"We're working on that."

"You've seen our ships, our hyperdrives and you've got naquada. Given your industrial power, you could probably start building your own ships within a few years." I shake my head. "Honestly, through… It seems to me that you'd be best advised to cut down your stargate usage. You need to keep buying raw material that can't be found on Earth, but every encounter with us risks drawing attention that you're not ready for."
No doubt he already knows about the whole space cruiser project they've got going on... After rummaging through their databases, anyway.

She doesn't look impressed.

"Now, once you have a few ships, things become different."
At the least, as an orbital defence blockade.

"You said that you can't sell us a ha'tak, and that's the only goa'uld ship that can fight other ha'taks."

"No, but I could get a team onboard a functioning ha'tak. Even a shipyard that was constructing one. You would have to pretend to be a human from Syrania who was there to learn the 'higher mysteries', but Lord Mahes already knows what I'm trying to do. He wouldn't question it. You could learn our ship-building techniques directly."
Or, perhaps, a partly-functional one? Like one he's got buried back home?

"And what do you want in return?"

I take a step closer, maintaining eye contact. "I'd need to be able to show Lord Bastet that the studying was happening on Syrania, so you would have to be based there. And teaching my people everything that you learn."
Ah, now we see the catch. Technically-free assistance in up-gearing his home base.

She glances aside. "I don't speak Akkadian. I don't think any of our scientists do."

"So we teach my people English. We'll have to do that anyway. I'll even throw in goa'uld tools and equipment."
This generation might find it a bit tricky, but the next will take to it like water...

"That's-. An interesting offer. I-."

The laboratory door opens and Teal'c enters, taking a moment to consider the two of us before speaking. "General Hammond has asked me to inform you that the stargate is available. You may return to Syrania."
And if it were up to Tal;c, he'd already be getting marched down there right now? :D

"Shol'va-." I smile, taking care to make it obviously awkward. "Teal'c." He raises his eyebrows, looking unimpressed. "I have an offer for you."

"I am not interested."
Well, that's a bit hasty. Didn't even listen to it.

"Now now, hear me out. You hate the goa'uld, yes?"

"We have been your slaves for nine thousand years."
Yes, and..? You're already fighting the system. What could a little help do to hurt?

"And I don't like you because you want to break the oath your ancestors made while still keeping all of the benefits. But it occurred to me that if you gave up those benefits, then you wouldn't have that moral obligation. And since you hate us and all our work, you must hate the fact that we have such an impact on your physiology. So how about it?" I extend my left hand in mock-benediction. "I can remove your prim'ta and all of the biotech supporting it from your body. Right now. You can carry on your life as an untainted human, with no obligation to the goa'uld. You wouldn't even be a shol'va any more. You'd still be a traitor, a backstabber and an oathbreaker, but only to your fellow servants of Apophis."
Pity he isn't feeling particularly motivated to give him some upgrades while he's at it, raise him to peak physical condition like he would have himself..

I step closer to him, reaching our with my glowing left hand.

"I can just-."
Good thing he's not armed, or you'd be staring down the barrel of a staff right now.

He takes a step backwards away from me. And I smile.

"So I was right. You want the benefits but don't want to pay the costs. How contemptible. Please let General Hammond know that I will be returning shortly."
Exactly what you were hoping he'd do, wasn't it?

Well, that whole day...Could probably have gone better for the SGC, but I suppose Paulmon got a few nice bonuses out of it. Pretty much all the human internet downloads he could access from the base, and an opportunity to squeeze Earth for a bit more bonuses. I'm guessing his dislike of the SGC and SG-1 are mostly down to their perceived sloppiness and inefficiency, in his eyes...

Remember that time Daniel had the goauld ancestral knowledge given to him by shifu, the harsesis child they had dropped off with oma desala? He threw Carter in jail for trying to stop him from taking over the world then ignored Jack's attempts to talk him down. He ignored the president and the joint chief like they were ignorant children and he knew best. Because he had thousands of years of memories of being a God and humans being slaves to feed on and torture for fun.

Last edited:
Well, that whole day...Could probably have gone better for the SGC, but I suppose Paulmon got a few nice bonuses out of it. Pretty much all the human internet downloads he could access from the base, and an opportunity to squeeze Earth for a bit more bonuses. I'm guessing his dislike of the SGC and SG-1 are mostly down to their perceived sloppiness and inefficiency, in his eyes...
Eh... This is pretty stereotypical for a Paul... He always thinks his way is the best. And then get's petty with anyone who shows more success with a different method.

Last edited:
Thank you, corrected.
Not really.

Humans have thousands of years of developing their own tech before they even got to the Stargate.

Goa'uld on the other hand don't seem to really do that and just steal tech.
What, you thought that the Ancients designed the ha'tak? Those nifty animal helmets? No, goa'uld are perfectly capable of invention, they just don't usually bother to.

I mean star gate command and the united states were short sighted enough to cause a galactic war that has literal planet loads of people go silent IE die for seemingly no reason and he highlighted how they could have just turned their gate 90 degrees to achieve an absolute level of safety from the nuke they themselves lost.

Stargate are the protagonist of the series, but it doesn't take much of a critical eye to see them as self important villains, they are even putting the entire world at risk without telling other nations about it, and let's not forget their mission parameters when they learn the Russians finally managed to get their gate working.

"Do you want a sudden life-changing bodily alteration from someone you don't trust, just for a moral victory?"

"No."

"Bitch."
Remember when O'Neill was made a jaffa by Hathor, and they undid it using a sarcophagus? Teal'c could have done the same at almost any time.
Remember that time Daniel had the goauld ancestral knowledge given to him by shifu, the harsesis child they had dropped off with oma desala? He threw Carter in jail for trying to stop him from taking over the world then ignored Jack's attempts to talk him down. He ignored the president and the joint chief like they were ignorant children and he knew best. Because he had thousands of years of memories of being a God and humans being slaves to feed on and torture for fun.
Um, no. That was an illusion forced upon him in order to convince him not to use goa'uld knowledge. The person creating the illusion had a specific aim. Unsurprisingly, the illusion showed exactly what was needed to convince the person experiencing it.

Remember when O'Neill was made a jaffa by Hathor, and they undid it using a sarcophagus? Teal'c could have done the same at almost any time.

Jack was turned into a Jaffa, but was born an ordinary human.

Teal'c was born a Jaffa, so the sarcophagus may not have worked on him.

I mean Bratac has always been the core of the free Jaffa cause, Telac is just younger. Bratac wouldn't have taken that step back, he would have stood there to prove the point.

Paulmon is asking the Tauri, the free Jaffa and even the TokRa questions they should have been asking themselves for ages.

I really don't understand why this Paul is so hostile to the star gate people.

I get he's pretending to be a Goa'uld but it seems to go beyond that. That last dig at Teal'c for example. That feels like a bit much.

Normal Person: do you think using an orange ring to shove thousands of years of genetic memory from another person into your brain could have negative side effects?
Paul: bet

Normal Person: do you think using an orange ring to shove thousands of years of genetic memory from another person into your brain could have negative side effects?
Paul: bet

Yeah that was my theory too but op attacked my example of it since it was just as, or perhaps even more, likely to be well meaning manipulation as an accurate representation of what would happen.

Well that failed spectacularly.

Mr Zoat also yes after several thousand years humanity is reverse engineering tech to catch up to the snakes they're at war with. Zoat you really need to have someone play devils advocate for the SGC characters because them just staring at you dumb founded, and not having a counter argument despite a number of them being obvious is ruining this segment. I get that you yourself are playing devils advocate, but this time your doing so badly and at best it comes off ham handed.

What, you thought that the Ancients designed the ha'tak? Those nifty animal helmets? No, goa'uld are perfectly capable of invention, they just don't usually bother to.

Come on Zoat that is an original art project at best, Every piece of tech in those ships, or the smart metal itself and any tech inside is ALL REVERSE ENGINEERED. But the snakes did invent the pyramid shaped hull

Really so in the show any time a jaffa has been brought back by a sarcophagus they were brought back as human? Or did that only work with Jack because the changes were, post birth, recent, and/or half assed? That seems like a terrible weakness, Oh no your First Prime died fighting off an assassin quick put him in the sarcop... oh no wait that would just make him human.

Man Zoat do you have no beta readers to bounce ideas, and conversations off of?

He doesn't know he's in the Stargate show, remember that the SI's don't recall the universe they're in but they may remember the setting by way of other media. He knows the Stargate movie but not that there's a show.

As mentioned by Mr. Zoat, Paulmon apparently wants to take their moral high ground away, which honestly, fair. The Goa'uld are conquering, megalomaniacal assholes but SGC is still a US black ops that apparently gets away with it.

oh i love that. Teal'c always did come off as a bit too high-and-mighty, it'd good to see him getting taken down a peg or two.
Why because he refused to let a Goa'uld alter his physiology? there's no way Teacl'c would ever agree to that and the idea that Paulmon thinks he won some moral argument with this is just stupid.

Honestly, these last few episodes have had a little voice blaring in the back of my head going "Would the State Department please pick up the phone?"

There's a couple of issues present here, in that ultimately you have what is effectively an Air Force special missions unit handling diplomatic duties and not people from the State Department or at least attaches. I can understand keeping Teal'c in the loop as an expert advisor but letting him be in the same building as a non-belligerent Goa'uld is stupid, let alone allowing him to talk to the Goa'uld without a filter. Also, O'Neill would be stuck in appointments at a different facility for the duration, or just locked in a closet. No one wants a maverick anywhere near foreign dignitaries. The only people who should actually be in the room from SGC are Hammond as the ranking officer, Carter as the technical expert (for a given value), Jackson as a cultural expert (for a given value) and a guard or two.

Also, honest question, even with the need for secrecy, why hasn't the USG appointed someone as the lead for diplomatic relations with non-belligerent Goa'uld? Appointed an de-facto ambassador? Spun up a small office to establish subject matter experts? I get Mammon is kind of unique in their eyes as a non-belligerent Goa'uld but their partnership has advanced to the point they were sending him specialized labor forces as part of a reciprocal trade agreement, and he apparently is a critical supplier of exotic materials? Surely they've realized by now they need someone who actually understands economics and international relations to deal with what is effectively a ruler of a foreign stellar nation who is part of a federation of other stellar nations who are at the very least non-belligerent against Earth?

As per the division of duties and powers, this isn't something the US military should be doing, especially not the Air Force. Sure, the Air Force at the time had jurisdiction over Air, Space and Cyberspace (only kinda) but that would have gone out the window the moment hostile alien life was confirmed and what was a telescope and sensor "fight" became an infantry and small unit tactics fight. The other branches would have collaborated to muster political will internal to the DoD and within the Executive and Legislative oversights in order to get the mission set moved over to someone else, like pitching the Army and then offering up SOCOM as an acceptable compromise, making it a joint force environment. This is the Air Force we're talking about, not 1950s CIA.

Remember, this is a post-Cold War but pre-9/11 world, the branches were working overtime to justify their budgets.

All that being said, Mammon is definitely being excessively belligerent in how he conducts himself. Something like "I realize you don't trust me, but if I could offer you a way to live free of us and you were assured of it's viability, would you take it?" Teal'c probably still would have rejected it out of hand but it would look better to people like Hammond, Carter and more importantly, their bosses.

Edit: This is what happens when I rewatch shows as an adult that I enjoyed as a kid. Say what you will for Atlantis' shenanigans, but they at least had the excuse of being isolated and afraid for the first season or two.

Last edited:
Well that failed spectacularly.

Mr Zoat also yes after several thousand years humanity is reverse engineering tech to catch up to the snakes they're at war with. Zoat you really need to have someone play devils advocate for the SGC characters because them just staring at you dumb founded, and not having a counter argument despite a number of them being obvious is ruining this segment. I get that you yourself are playing devils advocate, but this time your doing so badly and at best it comes off ham handed.
As stated, they're catching up because most goa'uld don't bother with it, not because goa'uld can't do it. The SI said that.

SG1 were told to be polite to the guy selling them naquada. O'Neill failed.

And the phrase is 'ham fisted'.
Come on Zoat that is an original art project at best, Every piece of tech in those ships, or the smart metal itself and any tech inside is ALL REVERSE ENGINEERED. But the snakes did invent the pyramid shaped hull.
The ha'tak was designed by Ptah, and according the roleplay sourcebook that heralded a switch away from using Ancient technology. Do you have a source for where each part came from? Because I don't remember any Ancients using weapons like goa'uld energy pulse weapons.
'rotated' and 'faced'?
Thank you, corrected.

I think readers are letting their nostalgia cloud their vision, stargate was a fun science fiction tv show, but once you take a couple of steps back it's entirely about a clandestine US black ops off world operation that constantly risks the safety of the entire planet earth to the benefit of a single nation and plays fast and loose with the laws of war and very often make morally questionable choices just to keep the conflict going and the pile of peace agreements they disrupted are evidence enough.

The free Jaffa also deserve a heap of criticism, a lot of them considered themselves to be above humans and they just wanted to be the top dogs of their society, most of their leadership would refuse to become normal human without their enhancements in exchange for their freedom, Telac gets a lot better in the later seasons, but early third season Telac isn't there, I would argue of the entire free Jaffa leadership only Bratac wouldn't take that step back.

Yeah the snakes are evil assholes, but at least they have the excuse of the sarcophagus making them more evil over time and the show taking the name of so many gods and making them Goa'uld comes with the implication that they were less bad thousands of years ago and that the sarcophagus has been making them more evil as time goes on.

Last edited:
Come on Zoat that is an original art project at best, Every piece of tech in those ships, or the smart metal itself and any tech inside is ALL REVERSE ENGINEERED. But the snakes did invent the pyramid shaped hull
I am surprised this need to be explained to you. Starships are not plug-and-play. Starship systems, are not plug and play. Hell, technology itself isn't plug and play unless specifically designed to be.

They do not have the full Ancient tech base, they cannot just copy their technology. They were able to steal some bits, but only Anubis a good chunk of it, due to Anubis's brief Ascension. They had to reverse engineer it yeah, that means they weren't able to copy the original designs due to lack of knowledge, and had to make something inferior whole-cloth. Ra didn't even know what ZPM's were. From the Ma'tok staff cannons, that function as both infantry weapon and scale up to starship cannon, to the Kara kesh, it's all stuff they made themselves, not adapted. It's designed in silly ways to help them look more like gods, but it's still designed. And let's be clear, they found a Stargate and figured out how to use it as primitive tribals, they found ancient technology and reverse engineered it, but it's never stated how long that took. I would assume the Ancients secured and child-proofed it like everything else they had, so I doubt it was easy. Try to keep the 'Humanity F@ck Yeah' to reasonable levels please.

And stealing more advanced technology from a technologically superior foe is perfectly valid, XCOM is a great example, or how about Stargate Tau'ri themselves? You're acting like purely original innovation is the only valid path for technological development. Well, get this, innovation is hard, and for the Goa'uld under Ra(Aside from issues with motivation, and their general decadency)? Unless you were favored? Not likely to go well. He liked to keep technological superiority over his minions. Anubis did a whole sh!tload of innovation, really scary innovation, guess how that turned out? If you've watched Stargate, you know this, you're just being obtuse. And for that matter, most of the reverse engineering humans did in Stargate was off the Goa'uld themselves. So it's only okay when the Tau'ri do it? Blehh. They didn't even keep that up, the only reason they jumped ahead of the Goa'uld tech-wise was getting access to databases of ancient tech and using that instead, like you are accusing the Goa'uld of. It wasn't innovation, they got uplifted.

Really so in the show any time a jaffa has been brought back by a sarcophagus they were brought back as human? Or did that only work with Jack because the changes were, post birth, recent, and/or half assed? That seems like a terrible weakness, Oh no your First Prime died fighting off an assassin quick put him in the sarcop... oh no wait that would just make him human.
Either they figured out how to program it and change what it healed, it works off the target's interpretation of personal wellness, or it's the writers taking the piss. And speaking of taking the piss...

Man Zoat do you have no beta readers to bounce ideas, and conversations off of?
What is this comment meant to be? Aside from vaguely insulting?

The ha'tak was designed by Ptah, and according the roleplay sourcebook that heralded a switch away from using Ancient technology. Do you have a source for where each part came from? Because I don't remember any Ancients using weapons like goa'uld energy pulse weapons
Fascinating, so does this mean Ra did actually have some fully intact, functional ancient warships? Ah, they were salvage, not likely fully functional then. Even more reason to design a ship you can repair and replace yourself.

SG1 were told to be polite to the guy selling them naquada. O'Neill failed.
Being nice doesn't mean letting the 'snake' verbally walk all over them without anything remotly resembling a counter argument. Jack is a completely separate situation and only you know why you wrote him doing that despite his orders.

The ha'tak was designed by Ptah, and according the roleplay sourcebook that heralded a switch away from using Ancient technology. Do you have a source for where each part came from? Because I don't remember any Ancients using weapons like goa'uld energy pulse weapons.

So what your saying is snake FTL? Alteran knock off. Snake shields? Alteran knock off. Snake sensors? Alteran knock off. Snake Life support and gravity? Alteran Knock off. Snake pretty much everything but weapons based is based on Alteran tech, BUT maybe just maybe the plasma weapons might not be based on some old ass weapon system, a mining tool, or something else the smartest idiots in the galaxy left for the snakes to trip over?
The most impressive ships the snakes had in the series could only run thanks to Alteran power cores, something that they couldn't even make knock off of, and instead made knock offs of the back up power generators.

Also yes ham fisted thank you, I was still waking up when I posted that.

And stealing more advanced technology from a technologically superior foe is perfectly valid, XCOM is a great example, or how about Stargate Tau'ri themselves? You're acting like purely original innovation is the only valid path for technological development. Well, get this, innovation is hard, and for the Goa'uld under Ra(Aside from issues with motivation, and their general decadency)? Unless you were favored? Not likely to go well. He liked to keep technological superiority over his minions. Anubis did a whole sh!tload of innovation, really scary innovation, guess how that turned out? If you've watched Stargate, you know this, you're just being obtuse. And for that matter, most of the reverse engineering humans did in Stargate was off the Goa'uld themselves. So it's only okay when the Tau'ri do it? Blehh. They didn't even keep that up, the only reason they jumped ahead of the Goa'uld tech-wise was getting access to databases of ancient tech and using that instead, like you are accusing the Goa'uld of. It wasn't innovation, they got uplifted.

No to the point there was never a time the Goa'uld didn't have Alteran tech to base all their shit on. Meanwhile until the stargate came around humanity built their tech base up from zero, and could have kept doing that. But fighting the Goa'uld means they have to rush so now the reverse engineer. Paul compares the two as the same when humanity is 99% percent original, and the Gou'uld are 99% knock off. They are not the same.

Last edited:
But being carried by a jaffa is obviously a huge honor to a primta, so trying to stop Jaffa from using primta to have access to a broader set of capabilities, even if they don't consider the primta to be real people, would be wrong.

It's funny that during that whole meat suit scene in the medical wing nobody thought to bring up the fact that a lot of other snakes seem to enjoy hunting down unwilling humans to use as meat suits. For examples you need only look at the first fucking episode.

Never mind the whole part where he agreed to bring somebody back from the dead who went through that exact thing. Not a lot of moral high ground there when you're a minority in the lack of atrocities department.

But being carried by a jaffa is obviously a huge honor to a primta, so trying to stop Jaffa from using primta to have access to a broader set of capabilities, even if they don't consider the primta to be real people, would be wrong.

Are you trying to use a facetious argument?

The larval goalud are babies and can just survive in a body of water feeding on smaller fish, the goalud don't really need the Jaffa meanwhile the opposite is not true.

Whenever I get an urge to defend the Jaffa I always remember how pissed they were about taking the happy drugs instead of getting to directly enslave the Goalud/TokRa, or the level of contempt some of them have towards normal humans.

I want to highlight something renePaul himself said ages ago, he acted submissive towards the Heroes because they were massively stronger than him, Paulmon is the strong party in these negotiations and nothing short of a nuke or a high powered laser would even harm him, that is why he is behaving like an asshole because it's both in character for him to do so and they have nothing on hand to threaten him.

No to the point there was never a time the Goa'uld didn't have Alteran tech to base all their shit on. Meanwhile until the stargate came around humanity built their tech base up from zero, and could have kept doing that. But fighting the Goa'uld means they have to rush so now the reverse engineer. Paul compares the two as the same when humanity is 99% percent original, and the Gou'uld are 99% knock off. They are not the same.

Funny you said that when it's Canon the Alteran survivors from Atlantis came back in the tail end of the dark ages and while most of them retired themselves to meditate and ascend, a fair number of them became men of science to enlighten humanity and did what they could within the limits set by those that had already ascended.

Before that humanity were stuck in the stone ages until the Goalud came along, so now the actual non assisted human technological development in the Stargate verse was... About the last three hundred years, during colonialism and that is if we assume the alteran/Tauri hybrids always being above the human average in intellect doesn't count.

Your high horse doesn't seem so high now does it? Stargate's brand of "Humanity Fuck Yeah" is the same as the Halo franchise, once you look under the hood things fall apart.

Last edited:
Are you trying to use a facetious argument?
Just pointing out the parallels between the goauld-host relationship and the primta-jaffa relationship. In both cases, one party is using the other party's biology for access to enhanced capabilities (thumbs or superstrength) in both cases, the party benefitting the most is essentially the dominant party on the transaction. In both cases, the relationship is backed by the cultural expectations of Goauld society, in both cases the submissive party (host or primta) can be said to be getting some benefit (host gets access to a sarcophagus, primta is less likely to be eaten immediately).

In time, once tretonin is available, both goauld and jaffa will have other options than using human hosts or primta to get the primary benefits of the relationship, and so on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back