• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Holy shit, Billy is actually thinking about things. I was actually pretty impressed. Seeing the Power Rangers from the SI's perspective had given the idea that all the characters were a bit dim-witted, the consequence of being fitted to a television show that doesn't think too hard about things. Here Billy is, doing something sensible by looking at Orange lantern comics to try and understand him psychologically. Not only that, but now that we're in Billy's perspective we can see he actually does think through the things around him and have a view of the world that tries to model other people and their actions. It's like he's a person or something.

As for the Grayven/Doctor Who one, there's the obvious part of cloning Susan for Grayven to be worried about, and he thinks that's the only invoke-Doctor's-wrath shady thing his company is up to. But... he also made the point that he's management, not one of the actual scientists on the floor. Another Doctor trope would be if there are some mad scientists up to something behind their boss's back.

Ah, Billy always was my favorite. This was some good writing, I like the way you leaned into his brain going a mile a minute, and thinking about everything, and you managed to capture his tendency towards excessive verbosity without going too over-the-top. Maybe in part because, to be frank, OL's inner monologue tends to be pretty wordy itself. I suppose that is the kinda guy you need to be to build a fully-functional flying car, wrist communicators, ETC in high school. His relationship with Trini is also neat. She did tend to be the one who got along best with him, and kept up with his technobabble the best. I have to say, it is kinda funny seeing the shoe be on the other foot for once: Now OL is having to fight someone with meta-knowledge about HIM. Not that'll help them, but A for effort. Let's do this!

Without an atmosphere the effective destructive radius of a fission bomb is far less than it would be on Earth. We would have to get it inside the base before we set it off, and if we had already defeated everyone then there wouldn't be any reason to use the bomb."
Is...that scientifically correct?
Grand Theft Mecha. And he doesn't even have to play that rather nice melody.
If he's going to get the Zord he should be a proper fanboy and play that dagger!

Is...that scientifically correct?

If he's going to get the Zord he should be a proper fanboy and play that dagger!
Yes, no overpressure.
For that reason the effective blast radius would be much reduced. Planting it against the outer walls would probably work, depending on what magic Rita was using to protect it. Might also damage the foundations from further away, depending on the structure of the moon rock.

The dagger is presently in the care of Red Ranger.

This is why you want a more directional blast when using nuclear weapons in space.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casaba-Howitzer

Think of it as shaped charge like you'd seen on an RPG-7 anti tank rocket......but nuclear. And instead of just a jet of molten copper you get a jet of plasma at a good percentage of the speed of light.

The dagger is presently in the care of Red Ranger.
I assumed he knows the song and just make a construct. Or at least play the music.
For that reason the effective blast radius would be much reduced. Planting it against the outer walls would probably work, depending on what magic Rita was using to protect it. Might also damage the foundations from further away, depending on the structure of the moon rock.
How many nukes does it take to crack a castle and unalive an old hag? And can OL get that many?
What about subspacing them then just dropping them in while within her residence? Cuz that was my first assumption.

"We build enough to consume the entire surface of the planet in nuclear fire, and then built more. Honestly, it got a bit silly, so the main countries involved agreed to disarm most of their supplies and stop making more of them.
'built'?
I make a targetting retical on the side of the building. "There. Now there's a big yellow light that can easily see from inside. And-."
'reticle'
'they can'
And the roof and wall are momentarily wreathed in purple vapour before evaporating, revealing the meeting room to the outside world as Adam gets into a good position to glower at the people inside.
Is 'evaporating' metaphorical, or was there a big cloud of vapourised wall? Just curious.
"Look, we can fix the pardon. We already got enough new evidence to prove that you're innocent, and I know Randy and Peggy who love to get to know their father.
'would love'
"Did you really think I wouldn't have check something like that-."
'checked'
"Tenzin Cering!" I stride through the portal into the Chinese black site, and because I know that the Chinese are bit more on the ball with summary executions that the Americans I've come out next to his cell and disarmed the soldiers on guard. No, not soldiers. Some sort of Chinese K.G.B. types? They were armed, anyway, and now they're not. "I'm looking for Tenzin Cering!"
'a bit'
The other guard runs at me and punches me in the-. In the groin armour, and promptly breaks his fingers. He pulls back, shielding it as he tries to work out what to do next.
They run at me, drawing knives from their equipment harnesses. Alright, fun time-.

The one at the rear draws a vial of something-.
I thought these guys were too badass to be normal humans, haha.
My giant drill construct bored into the rock, cutting a hole big enough for one of the medium-yield nuclear devices.
'bores'?
And since I can't see Rita Repulsa having a super-powerful magic artefact somewhere where she can't get hold of it. Which means that her staff is it. It's powering everything, including the teleporter.
Extraneous 'since'?
I feel it. I feel seventeen versions of the same face become one, one hand becoming seventeen and still one as it reaches out.
I thought this was referring to Subjekt-17 at first. Funny that seventeen came up twice like that.
"You every try that yourself?"
'ever'
Nice to see Doctor Who. I remember the Cybermen did indirectly cause a galaxy to get blown up later in the timeline, so they are a bit of a menace.

Mighty Morphin' Lantern Rangers (part 11)
1st April 1995
14:35 GMT -7

It was interesting, that while the hangar where they keep most of the zords appears to be warded against detection, the Dragonzord was just sort of left standing underwater off the coast. It wasn't even that far off, as it could get to shore in the time it took Green Ranger to play a few riffs on his dagger-flute.

I haven't… Completely worked out how, yet. I'm forcing an interface with my ring and the zord's magic appears to be resisting. And I could probably completely subvert it, but I'd rather not wreck the zord entirely. I think it's something to do with using its tail as a propeller while submerged, but since I didn't want to test that myself I settled for walking through the water the slow way.

There are missile launchers in the hands, but the reloading system appears to use an energy-to-matter system that I can't fuel without whatever is it the Rangers use to power these things. I can get one volley, but that's it. The other form of attack appears to be tail swipes, as these stubby little arms and clawless hands aren't much use for fighting.

I can't help but think… I remember the Dragonzord being cooler than this. If I could spam missiles, I guess…

Teleportation detected.

And did we detect the energy form used?

Yes.

Oh. Yeah, that's no use at all. I could probably build a teleportation array like that. I don't know exactly how Zordon's powering it, but a couple of small-scale bleed torsion generators would probably do it.

Red Ranger is gesturing at me with his sword. Um. I don't remember his sword having a supercharged execution mode and as far as I remember the only way they ever killed a giant monster was with a zord, but I do need them to respond appropriately.

Now, if I was actually trying to kill them I'd fire missiles at them. There were a couple of times when giant monsters or zords fired at them while they were on foot, and as far as I remember it was always a bad time. Now my biggest challenge is making sure that the Dragonzord doesn't wander off while I'm outside-.

I raise my left hand and project, an orange construct of myself in full armour appearing and towering over them.

I don't have to go outside.

"…out of the Dragonzord, now!"

"Mm." I make the construct stroke its chin. "Do you have a way to extend my life?"

"So that's what it took. You're working for Rita now?"

"Yes. She's the most magically powerful thing in this star system. I can get her what she wants, and what I want in return is next to nothing for her. It's a perfect trade."

The pink one takes a step forward. "What about Earth?"

"Let me put it this way. You're all immune to small arms fire while you're wearing your costumes, aren't you?"

Zack and Pink look at Blue, who nods. "Effectively."

"Have you seen what's happening in Bosnia lately? Afghanistan? Iraq? Chechenia?"

Yellow nods. I'm not sure if the rest don't because they don't feel like answering a supervillain, or because they don't do foreign affairs. I don't want to assume. I'm trying to be nicer to Americans, but I knew about the first one in 1995. When I was 12.

"There's a war."

"A war fought between people whose weapons you're entirely immune to. In Bosnia they're making a point of targetting the civilian populations. Genuine genocide, that you could stop. Easily. At no risk to yourselves. And yet, you don't."

Red stares at me. "And you think Rita will?"

"Do you really think that Rita is going to do anything with Earth if she wins? No, she'll stick up a few statues of herself, grab any interesting artefacts and technology and then swan off to conquer somewhere else and leave it in the hands of a competent subordinate. And then I can do it. I'll be able to reorganise the world any way I want. Unlimited authority to rewrite legal codes, set monetary policy and intervene on a whim to stop mass murderers. It'll be everything Earth Sixteen could have been if I'd had a personal lantern from the start. And… No competition."

I have the construct suddenly extend both of its arms towards them, prompting them to brace themselves.

"Which is where you come in. Or to be more accurate, leave. You are aware of the nuclear bombs I stole?"

Red gestures angrily. "Where are they?"

"Oh, I'll tell you. I took five: one for each of you. On the west coast of Africa, there's an island called La Palma. I buried one there. Do you know what happens when it goes off?"

William straightens up slowly. "A landslide, which would create a tidal wave big enough to flood the entire east coast."

"Someone buy that man a National Geographic subscription!"

"Actually, I already have-."

"Then I'll pay for next year! I put another one in Yellowstone, in just the right place to set off the supervolcano!"

Pink slumps slightly. "What's a supervolcano?"

William turns to her. "Oh, it's-."

"Like a volcano, only more super! Ever hear of the Year Without A Summer?"

"No?"

"Okay, then I guess that as well as abolishing war I'm clearly going to have to revise the history curriculum. It was really cold all year! There were famines everywhere!"

"How does that make the world a better place?!"

"Because when I'm permanently at full power, I can make all the food I want! Desperate and dependent people are far easier to control! Heck, I liked that plan so much I put another nuke on the Taupo supervolcano in New Zealand! The fourth one went near the Darvaza gas crater; if it goes off it'll set off the entire gas field! Half of Turkmenistan will fly into space!"

Red Ranger nods. "That's four. Where's the fifth one?"

"Oh? It's just over-" I have the construct point to the left. "-there."

They all look in that direction, and I have to keep myself from firing the missiles while they're distracted.

"Oh, and I set them all to go off in…" I make the construct move its left arm like it's checking its watch. "Eight minutes. And unless Red Ranger stays here to fight me, I'll remote detonate one at random."

They sort of stand there for a moment, and I start to wonder if I've stunned them. Then the other four teleport away, leaving Red Ranger staring me down.

"Come down here and fight me!"

"Poor tactics. You should be trying to find the bomb. But fine."

I

step out

and didn't that feel weird. That wasn't the Honden. Something else entirely. Something to look into later.

I appear on top of the Dragonzord's head and fabricate a suit of light power armour with a shoulder-mounted railgun.

"I'm not really much of a fighter. But then you're not much of a tactician."

I jump down, landing hard enough to blast a crater in the ground.

"Let's see if brain beats brawn. Or rather, how quickly."

Last edited:
"Because when I'm permanently at full power, I can make all the food I want! Desperate and dependent people are far easier to control! Heck, I liked that plan so much I put another nuke on the Taupo supervolcano in New Zealand! The forth one went near the Darvaza gas crater; if it goes off it'll set off the entire gas field! Half of Turkmenistan will fly into space!"
That should say 'fourth'.

Wow...

I'm kinda disappointed. This guy went off the rails quite quickly.

I was hoping he was doing something where he would backstab Rita and learn how to maintain himself with magic without being enslaved to her but it seems his heel turn is rather genuine.

Wow...

I was hoping he was doing something where he would backstab Rita and learn how to maintain himself with magic without being enslaved to her but it seems his heel turn is rather genuine.
I mean, I'm still fully expecting this to be a plot that leaves the world better than it was before. And if he just outright tells the Rangers what he's planning they might mess up whatever he needs them to do, and Rita is almost certainly watching them.

Wow...

There isnt a chance Paul would trust Rita to keep her end of the bargain. Because he isn't Saturday Morning Cartoon Villain Dumb.

My expectation is he's distracting Rita with the Ranger's "defeat", then he'll steal her staff, and then nukes her moon base.

1st April 1995
14:35 GMT -7

It was interesting, that while the hangar where they keep most of the zords appears to be warded against detection, the Dragonzord was just sort of left standing underwater off the coast. It wasn't even that far off, as it could get to shore in the time it took Green Ranger to play a few riffs on his dagger-flute.
...You'd think all that salt water would damage the systems, but I guess their magical nature makes them immune to corrosion or something. Surprised the first time it got summoned, it didn't show up covered with kelp streamers. :p

I haven't… Completely works out how, yet. I'm forcing an interface with my ring and the zord's magic appears to be resisting. And I could probably completely subvert it, but I'd rather not wreck the zord entirely. I think it's something to do with using its tail as a propeller while submerged, but since I didn't want to test that myself I settled for walking through the water the slow way.
Ah, brute-forcing it? Probably best not to trash it, since Tommy'll be wanting it back when he turns up later, ready to sign up again.

There are missile launchers in the hands, but the reloading system appears to use an energy-to-matter system that I can't fuel without whatever is it the Rangers use to power these things. I can get one volley, but that's it. The other form of attack appears to be tail swipes, as these stubby little arms and clawless hands aren't much use for fighting.

I can't help but think… I remember the Dragonzord being cooler than this. If I could spam missiles, I guess…
It's likely because it reminded you of Godzilla, but a robot. And to be fair, when it's fully powered, it is actually pretty badass.

Teleportation detected.

And did we detect the energy form used?
Let me guess, the Ring can't really grok the Morphin Grid energy?

Yes.

Oh. Yeah, that's no use at all. I could probably build a teleportation array like that. I don't know exactly how Zordon's powering it, but a couple of small-scale bleed torsion generators would probably do it.
Magic. Or rather, said Morphin Grid, most likely.

Red Ranger is gesturing at me with his sword. Um. I don't remember his sword having a supercharged execution mode and as far as I remember the only way they ever killed a giant monster was with a zord, but I do need them to respond appropriately.

Now, if I was actually trying to kill them I'd fire missiles at them. There were a couple of times when giant monsters or zords fired at them while they were on foot, and as far as I remember it was always a bad time. Now my biggest challenge is making sure that the Dragonzord doesn't wander off while I'm outside-.
Toku shows do love their pyro displays. Especially in Power Rangers' Khalish era.

I raise my left hand and project, an orange construct of myself in full armour appearing and towering over them.

I don't have to go outside.
Wait, full armour without a helmet, or with? Because the latter has no real face. :p Which I'm sure the Rangers are used to.

"…out of the Dragonzord, now!"

"Mm." I make the construct stroke its chin. "Do you have a way to extend my life?"
Good plan, make them think you're working for Rita out of desperation. Technically, you are, but I'm sure you have other plans.

"So that's what it took. You're working for Rita now?"

"Yes. She's the most magically powerful thing in this star system. I can get her what she wants, and what I want in return is next to nothing for her. It's a perfect trade."
The only problem is what she wants. But that can be worked around.

The pink one takes a step forward. "What about Earth?"

"Let me put it this way. You're all immune to small arms fire while you're wearing your costumes, aren't you?"
Pity most of the goons and monsters they fight are quite a bit stronger, and they don't generally deal with street-level crime. I think SPD/Dekaranger was the closest to that sort of thing, yes?

Zack and Pink look at Blue, who nods. "Effectively."

"Have you seen what's happening in Bosnia lately? Afghanistan? Iraq? Chechenia?"
...I mean, they're Americans. You're expecting any of them - besides Billy, anyway - to pay attention to geography or the news? :D

Yellow nods. I'm not sure if the rest don't because they don't feel like answering a supervillain, or because they don't do foreign affairs. I don't want to assume. I'm trying to be nicer to Americans, but I knew about the first one in 1995. When I was 12.

"There's a war."
Huh, Trini being the only one to recognise them openly...

"A war fought between people whose weapons you're entirely immune to. In Bosnia they're making a point of targetting the civilian populations. Genuine genocide, that you could stop. Easily. At no risk to yourselves. And yet, you don't."

Red stares at me. "And you think Rita will?"
That's not really Zordon's thing either. Like the Green Lanterns' 'no interfering in internal politics' thing, really.

"Do you really think that Rita is going to do anything with Earth if she wins? No, she'll stick up a few statues of herself, grab any interesting artefacts and technology and then swan off to conquer somewhere else and leave it in the hands of a competent subordinate. And then I can do it. I'll be able to reorganise the world any way I want. Unlimited authority to rewrite legal codes, set monetary policy and intervene on a whim to stop mass murderers. It'll be everything Earth Sixteen could have been if I'd had a personal lantern from the start. And… No competition."
...Probably a good thing OL had to work with the League early on. Unless he's playing the bad guy to help sell the plan better.

I have the construct suddenly extend both of its arms towards them, prompting them to brace themselves.

"Which is where you come in. Or to be more accurate, leave. You are aware of the nuclear bombs I stole?"
I have to wonder if Rita actually knows the Ranger's identities at this point, or if something about the transformation counters that. I mean, she hasn't sent monsters after them directly, out of uniform, has she...

Red gestures angrily. "Where are they?"

"Oh, I'll tell you. I took five: one for each of you. On the west coast of Africa, there's an island called La Palma. I buried one there. Do you know what happens when it goes off?"
La Palma. Site of his little transatlantic tsunami setup.

William straightens up slowly. "A landslide, which would create a tidal wave big enough to flood the entire east coast."

"Someone buy that man a National Geographic subscription!"
Pfft, like he doesn't already have a subscription? Admittedly, it's memetically one of the 'young man of the 90's early pre-internet sources for... Shall we say, adult material? Tribal girl boobs, basically. :V

"Actually, I already have-."

"Then I'll pay for next year! I put another one in Yellowstone, in just the right place to set off the supervolcano!"
No doubt Zordon and Alpha can find them and put the Rangers in just the right place to find them easily.

Pink slumps slightly. "What's a supervolcano?"

William turns to her. "Oh, it's-."
Heh. Educational content in my spandex-clad action? :p It's more likely than you think!

"Like a volcano, only more super! Ever hear of the Year Without A Summer?

"No?"
...Remember OL: American education system...

"Okay, then I guess that as well as abolishing war I'm clearly going to have to revise the history curriculum. It was really cold all year! There were famines everywhere!"

"How does that make the world a better place?!"
Good point. Your rebuttal, OL?

"Because when I'm permanently at full power, I can make all the food I want! Desperate and dependent people are far easier to control! Heck, I liked that plan so much I put another nuke on the Taupo supervolcano in New Zealand! The forth one went near the Darvaza gas crater; if it goes off it'll set off the entire gas field! Half of Turkmenistan will fly into space!"
Which is already on fire.

Red Ranger nods. "That's four. Where's the fifth one?"

"Oh? It's just over-" I have the construct point to the left. "-there."
No doubt sitting right out in the open ready to be defused...

They all look in that direction, and I have to keep myself from firing the missiles while they're distracted.

"Oh, and I set them all to go off in…" I make the construct move its left arm like it's checking its watch. "Eight minutes. And unless Red Ranger stays here to fight me, I'll remote detonate one at random."
Ooh, a ticking clock too? ;) No rush, heroes...

They sort of stand there for a moment, and I start to wonder if I've stunned them. Then the other four teleport away, leaving Red Ranger staring me down.

"Come down here and fight me!"
Huh, a rare moment of internal comms usage?

"Poor tactics. You should be trying to find the bomb. But fine."

I
And now to show off.

step out

and didn't that feel weird. That wasn't the Honden. Something else entirely. Something to look into later.
I half expect he bounced through the Morphin Grid there...

I appear on top of the Dragonzord's head and fabricate a suit of light power armour with a shoulder-mounted railgun.

"I'm not really much of a fighter. But then you're not much of a tactician."
...And I choose to picture that as a 'Kamen Rider Geats' Command Armour set in Cannon Mode... :p But decoed in dark grey and Orange.

I jump down, landing hard enough to blast a crater in the ground.

"Let's see if brain beats brawn. Or rather, how quickly.
I mean, it all depends on how well your Ring can puppeteer you to manage his level of sword combat. And how long you can bear to let it go on...

So.. He seems to have gone full super-villain rather quickly. No doubt playing it up for Rita, who's probably keeping a close eye on him. Doesn't trust him any further than she could throw him, I'll bet. And the Rangers seem to have bought the act hook, line and sinker. Hopefully the Rangers can play their part and defuse their bombs without realising whether they're actually live or not.

I haven't… Completely works out how, yet.
I haven't… Completely worked out how, yet.

There isnt a chance Paul would trust Rita to keep her end of the bargain. Because he isn't Saturday Morning Cartoon Villain Dumb.

My expectation is he's distracting Rita with the Ranger's "defeat", then he'll steal her staff, and then nukes her moon base.
Which shouldn't do anything because her Staff is just a channel for her own magic.

Wow...

I mean, I'm still fully expecting this to be a plot that leaves the world better than it was before. And if he just outright tells the Rangers what he's planning they might mess up whatever he needs them to do, and Rita is almost certainly watching them.

If he is going full supervillain, then I'm surprised by his attempting to keep them alive (by not shooting them). He's perfectly willing to kill people for the greater good, and I'm not certain that the Ranger's ages would change that.

As said before, Rita is watching, but he can hardly trust her to keep her word. She's Sat Morning Cartoon-Evil, after all. She'd betray him for the shits and giggles.

Though that doesn't mean he needs the rangers happy with him. It's entirely possible that he's only keeping them alive as leverage.

That all being said, he does like them a bit. He probably doesn't WANT to kill them.

Which shouldn't do anything because her Staff is just a channel for her own magic.
I want to say that it was the residue from the staff that changed Alpha 8 into Robo Rita, so the staff has something going on with it. Overall, there just is not enough info to definitely say either way, but there is circumstantial evidence to say the Magic Wand has some power of its own. And, as always, this is Mr. Zoats story, and I trust him to write a great story regardless.

If he is going full supervillain, then I'm surprised by his attempting to keep them alive (by not shooting them). He's perfectly willing to kill people for the greater good, and I'm not certain that the Ranger's ages would change that.

As said before, Rita is watching, but he can hardly trust her to keep her word. She's Sat Morning Cartoon-Evil, after all. She'd betray him for the shits and giggles.

Though that doesn't mean he needs the rangers happy with him. It's entirely possible that he's only keeping them alive as leverage.

That all being said, he does like them a bit. He probably doesn't WANT to kill them.

I highly doubt this Paul is turning villain. I expect this is just a ruse to get him enough magical energy to continue on living. My guess is he's just talking about how he'll do it, if he was going to follow through. The best lies are the ones with truth in them, after all.

He warped through the Morphing Grid, or through something magical. I wonder if that has any negative consequences for his necklace. Or his tattoos…

Was this Paul grabbed before he tested the Justice League? Both times, since the first time he lured almost every leaguer into a trap, and laughed. If so, that could partly explain why he gravitated towards nukes.

Excellent update, Mr Zoat! Top notch character writing. I shouldn't be surprised given the previous April Fools arcs, but you have me hooked!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back