• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

I highly doubt this Paul is turning villain. I expect this is just a ruse to get him enough magical energy to continue on living. My guess is he's just talking about how he'll do it, if he was going to follow through. The best lies are the ones with truth in them, after all.

To mis-quote Dr. Dire, it's all about the Kayfabe! At least directed to Rita and her group, let him be a long-term enemy.

I want to say that it was the residue from the staff that changed Alpha 8 into Robo Rita, so the staff has something going on with it. Overall, there just is not enough info to definitely say either way, but there is circumstantial evidence to say the Magic Wand has some power of its own. And, as always, this is Mr. Zoats story, and I trust him to write a great story regardless.

And Rito, Rita's brother, being able to take Rita and Zedd's staves to use magic. Rito obviously wasn't a wizard, he even accidentally shot someone by mistake by pointing the staff backwards, which shows the extent of his magical expertise. The name of the episode was even "Wizard for a day."

Finster made Rita a staff that gave her more power.

There's also the Mystic Rangers' mystic morphers, being transformed wands, which gave the mystic rangers magic powered by an external source, the people of Briarwood.

I haven't… Completely worked out how, yet.
Thank you, corrected.
There's also the Mystic Rangers' mystic morphers, being transformed wands, which gave the mystic rangers magic powered by an external source, the people of Briarwood.
They drained the people of Briarwood for power? LIke, every time they morphed someone from Briarwood permanently lost their ability to use magic for life? That's surprisingly dark.

Curious about SHADE's involvement in the Centre for Paranormal Research, I detached Miss Amane from the ongoing mission in Britain and had her spend some time getting to know the children at the Centre. She really does have a wonderful way with people. The fact that she's about the same age as Miss Selton also serves to make them hanging out together seem less suspicious.
"I told you that I was taking over funding the Centre for Paranormal Research attached to the Metropolis University, didn't I?"
The Centre for Paranormal Research isn't a military institution. There are a couple of security guards, but they're there to throw out nuisance visitors or protestors, not fight paramilitary units. Against untrained and unarmed metahumans, walking up to them with a gun and shooting them dead before they know what's going on is a perfectly viable technique. And if they can shut down a Father Box they can almost certainly shut down her telepathy.
Ah, good. Sounds like Chester's in fine form. And looking after Lynne. Must remember to thank him. "Any idea why your people are going after the Centre for Paranormal Research?"
Weapon nullification spell. Father Box, boom tube to the Centre for Paranormal Research in Metropolis. And see if you can do something about my eyes.
"Chester's a veteran professional. You're a teenaged civilian. I don't hold you to the same standards that I hold him." She nods. "Now, when Doctor Robbins gets the signal, she sends Mister Tawny and a group of G-Elves to the Centre for Paranormal Research-."
"Kelly's Heroes knows, she's just one of many students at the Centre for Paranormal Research. Yes, one I've spoken to, but I've spoken to several and our first in-depth conversation was yesterday. That's not anything like enough time to build a giant robot, and I doubt that it's enough time to get one from the UK to the US either. Trying to snatch Lynne makes sense if they're trying to counter me, but why her?"
I was rereading and noticed that this place was called the Center for Paranormal Studies, both initially and in the link to the DCAU wiki that you added when it first appears in this story. Are these all mistakes, or is it an equivalent name that can be used interchangeably?

"Have you seen what's happening in Bosnia lately? Afghanistan? Iraq? Chechenia?"
'Chechnya'?
"Because when I'm permanently at full power, I can make all the food I want! Desperate and dependent people are far easier to control!
I expect he's hamming it up, but it would be interesting to see what would happen to all those people if he disappeared after giving them food.
This actually reminds me a bit of a Frozen fanfic where Olaf becomes superintelligent and learns to use his ice magic. He knows that he and everything he builds with magic will disappear if Elsa dies or he does.

They drained the people of Briarwood for power? LIke, every time they morphed someone from Briarwood permanently lost their ability to use magic for life? That's surprisingly dark.

Not that dark, their mystic morphers are powered by the goodwill of the people of Briarwood and the magical beings living in the neighboring forest.

So with that source of replenishing magic, the Mystic Rangers, despite their eventual retirement, didn't have the all too common forced retirement from depowering that ranger teams so often suffer from.

I was rereading and noticed that this place was called the Center for Paranormal Studies, both initially and in the link to the DCAU wiki that you added when it first appears in this story. Are these all mistakes, or is it an equivalent name that can be used interchangeably?
I don't exactly remember, but the answer I'll pull out of my bottom right now is that they changed the name after Grayven's donation and the expansion of their job.
Sort of. That's a revised anglicisation which -as far as I remember- wasn't used in 1995. It's like replacing Kiev with Keev.

Wow...

I'm kinda disappointed. This guy went off the rails quite quickly.

I was hoping he was doing something where he would backstab Rita and learn how to maintain himself with magic without being enslaved to her but it seems his heel turn is rather genuine.

He is almost definitely playing a role. This sounds nothing like how Paul operates. It sounds more like when Grayven trolls people.

I don't exactly remember, but the answer I'll pull out of my bottom right now is that they changed the name after Grayven's donation and the expansion of their job.
In that case, you'll need to change the following.

I smile benevolently down at her. "Of course you are. It's a big change of pace. I myself was quite nervous before I started Secondary School, and that was knowing that there would be people I knew in my classes. But you'll adjust, just as you adjusted to being taught at the Center for Paranormal Studies."

Right, don't weird out the girl any more than necessary. "Has Lynne spoken to you about the Center for Paranormal Studies? I was-" I look around again. "-going to talk to your parents about it…"

I don't think that tsunami plan would actually work . . . But it's likely moot since I'm pretty sure he's just playing up the villain thing until he can backstab Rita. Which, in its own way, will be a bit of a shame. She won't be a problem for as long as she was in canon, but she also likely isn't going to find the redemption she eventually obtained through her and Zedd genuinely coming to love each other.

Which is gonna suck for the stuff the Mystic Rangers dealt with, since Rita was basically the Zordon of that group of Rangers.

I was rereading the story only thread and found an error.
"And if anyone knows how to keep a kryptonian/rhinoceros contained, it would be LexCorp."

"What?!

"The horn?" I generate a curved horn construct on my forehead. "You saw the horn?"
There's a missing a quotation mark after that word.

Edit: Found a link that doesn't work. Not sure what it was, but I assume it was a portrait of Hell.
Jade's eyes narrow slightly. "Put the hologram back on. If that's where we're going, I want to study everything that's happening first."

I don't think that tsunami plan would actually work . . . But it's likely moot since I'm pretty sure he's just playing up the villain thing until he can backstab Rita. Which, in its own way, will be a bit of a shame. She won't be a problem for as long as she was in canon, but she also likely isn't going to find the redemption she eventually obtained through her and Zedd genuinely coming to love each other.

Which is gonna suck for the stuff the Mystic Rangers dealt with, since Rita was basically the Zordon of that group of Rangers.

The tsunami is actually the one that is the most likely to work.

Depends on the yield of the nukes, how far emulated power ring sensors and super computer goes, etc. But assuming he had enough information the super volcanoes are far less likely to work due to a lack of accumulation of enough magma pressure, the Las Palmas Tsunami is pretty much an avalanche waiting to happen and the mountain is already ready to fall into the ocean, what it's missing is the reason.

Didn't that happen because the energy released from Zordon's death brainwashed her?

Didn't that happen because the energy released from Zordon's death brainwashed her?
Yes/maybe. Most of the villains and mooks got disintegrated. Rita and Zedd got turned into humans... but so did Divatox, who did not have a love interest. Also Finster, but that was a comics-only thing. Astronema/Karone was purified too, but that was a special case.

I don't know that there's ever been a good explanation why Divatox turned human but, say, Ecliptor was disintegrated. "Love" could be the explanation for Rita and Zedd, but I don't think it was canonically stated, and again, that doesn't explain Divatox.

It either purged people of evil or killed them by turning them into sand. Though admittedly I don't actually know what the criteria was for killing or sparing people. I just kind of assumed Rita and Zedd loving each other was one of the reasons they were spared, but did forget about Ecliptor and his own paternal love for Astronema.

For example, it killed Ecliptor even though in all honesty Ecliptor was kind of a cool dude. At the very least he cared more about Astronema's well-being than being evil after basically raising her as a father figure. At one point he saved Andros from being killed even though he was an enemy because he didn't want Astronema to one day learn one of her own monsters killed her brother. Even when Astronema turned good and defected, he actively fought against his own forces to keep her safe. At which point he was punished for being a traitor by being brainwashed into being evil again. Brainwashing that was broken when Astronema was killed. He spends his last moments crawling over to her body in grief, and for some reason Zordon's Z-Wave kills him while resurrecting Astronema.

Though for those purified like Rita, Zedd, Astronema, and Divatox . . . Apparently it just physically separated the evil parts of their personality from them.

Robo-Rita was created when Billy tried to collect leftover energy from the Z-Wave in a bid to resurrect Zordon, and instead he ended up collecting the dispersed evil parts of Rita. With her "evil energy" or whatever fusing with an Alpha robot to form a new body for herself. She tried to do time travel stuff to send future knowledge to past Rita so she could kill the Rangers before Zordon recruited them . . . She was stopped, but she killed Trini along the way. So good job, Billy. You got your old teammate killed.

He warped through the Morphing Grid, or through something magical. I wonder if that has any negative consequences for his necklace. Or his tattoos…
Y'know, that's actually an interesting point. Since he can do everything his 'comic book self' could do, and his tattoos absorb ambient magic and push it into his soul... If he can find a sufficiently compatible energy source, he might be able to just... sit around for awhile, recharging himself.

Thank you, corrected.
As I can see, the name change also makes use of British English, so both should be changed to 'Centre' to match the previous uses of the name.

I smile benevolently down at her. "Of course you are. It's a big change of pace. I myself was quite nervous before I started Secondary School, and that was knowing that there would be people I knew in my classes. But you'll adjust, just as you adjusted to being taught at the Center for Paranormal Research."
Right, don't weird out the girl any more than necessary. "Has Lynne spoken to you about the Center for Paranormal Research? I was-" I look around again. "-going to talk to your parents about it…"

He is almost definitely playing a role. This sounds nothing like how Paul operates. It sounds more like when Grayven trolls people.

His acting here makes me kinda wish we got to see him interacting with Lothor instead of Rita. Thatd be some peak comedy, especially with Lothors occasional meta jokes. :V

Mighty Morphin' Lantern Rangers (part 12)
1st April 1995
14:39 GMT -7

I take a loose stance and wait. After all, all I have to do to 'win' is run down the clock-.

Red Ranger runs towards me-

"Hyaaagh!"

-and leaps, extending his right leg-

Woon.

-and taking a railgun round in the chest for his trouble.

"Ah!"

He's knocked to the ground, and there's a small black mark where whatever strange technology holds his totally-not-lycra armour together smoulders as he rolls back to his feet.

"Did you not see the gun? Or did you think I was bluffing?"

He moves his sword to a guard position. "You think I don't have brains? Then why haven't you just set off the bombs? You don't need to give us a chance to defuse them."

"Is that what you want to do with Angel Grove's last… Seven minutes not being an irradiated wasteland? Fine, fine. Of course I didn't, but there's no power in the universe that can make Rita Repulsa stick to a deal when she doesn't feel like it. Working around you to wreck the world is too simple. I have to show her me beating you if I'm going to persuade her to keep me alive!"

"You're crazy!"

"Says the guy still talking with six minutes and forty seconds left!"

He charges along the ground, sword in a guard position across his body. I fire-

Woon.

-again, but he manages to parry the shot without being knocked back at all. Not sure.. how that works, but.. okay. I put a construct wall in the way but one slash of the sword cleaves through it and reduces it to orange mist.

Woon.

He parries that as well before accelerating into a sprint.

"Hah." I put a friction free construct strip on the floor between us, his feet shooting out from underneath him as his grip vanishes. His momentum keeps him coming flat on his back, sliding towards me as he tries to get back to his feet by rolling off. "Too easy."

He rolls off-.

I raise a construct shield, the shots he fires with his sidearm from his prone position splattering off it a moment later.

"Do you want me to tell you what you're doing wrong?"

He stands, sword in his right hand and gun in his left. "What?"

"I have to defeat you to win Rita's favour. You have to prevent the bomb from exploding in order to save Angel Grove. Why are you fighting me rather than running for the bomb?"

"Because you'd shoot me in the back."

"True, but you do realise that your teleporter can teleport you short distances, right? Come on, make me work for it! It's a big box with a radiation symbol on the side!""

He holsters his sidearm and vanishes. Okay, good, that-.

CHING!

I stumble forward as my railgun falls to the ground, Red Ranger's sword having sliced through the anchor point. A pile driver construct slams into his chest and sends him flying back into -and through- the wall of an abandoned boatshed.

"Good thinking, but you realise I can just repair that, right?"

I crouch down to pick it up, and make a show of floating it back onto my shoulder and reattaching it.

"I just have to-" He picks himself up. "-wear you down until your potion power runs out."

"That would beat me. It wouldn't do anything to the nuclear bomb."

"I heard what Zordon said. If you go, they go!"

"Go back to Pantex? And blow up there, amongst the largest concentration of highly refined nuclear material on the planet? Is that..? Good?"

"Why would they blow up if you set the timer?"

"What, do I look as stupid as you do? Goldar set the timer. I just moved them."

I use a construct shield to block a volley of shots and then transition sideways to evade his swing.

"Oh-hooh! That wasn't aimed at my gun!"

"You're going to kill-" He swings and I transition just out of reach. "-thousands of people!"

"No! Billions! And here's the thing: the Angel Grove bomb threatens the least people! If you were prioritising properly you'd be teleporting away to deal with the other bombs!"

He swings again, and this time I just sidestep.

"I don't know how to defuse a nuke!"

"Hammer and chisel! You just have to crack the explosive shell around the uranium and it can't go critical!" He swings once more, and this time I lock his arm in place with construct manacles. "You could disarm it with your sword!" He struggles against my grip, but can't break free with raw strength. "The correct response is to-."

He draws his sidearm with his left hand, switches it to knife mode and slashes it through my construct.

"There you go!"

He resheathes his sidearm and slashes-.

"Found it!" He teleports away. Finally taking my advice? Good show.

Of course, I know where the crate is, and there aren't that many ways to approach it. I transition to an overwatch position, ready my railgun and-.

And…

Ring, scan for Red Ranger-.

And then I hear it.

Can he do that? I don't remember him doing that. I mean, sure, the green dagger is still 'available', but without the green power coin, shouldn't it-.

The Dragonzord hasn't returned to the sea yet. He doesn't need to wait for it to-.

I shoot into the air, half a second ahead of the first volley of missiles!

Last edited:
1st April 1995
14:39 GMT -7

I take a loose stance and wait. After all, all I have to do to 'win' is run down the clock-.

Red Ranger runs towards me-
And of course Jason is going full-frontal assault. Because teenager with attitude. :rolleyes: Honestly, I get that he probably doesn't have any plan for beating the bomb, but you'd think he'd at least check with Zordon?

"Hyaaagh!"

-and leaps, extending his right leg-
A wanna-be Rider Kick will not help you here, kung-fool. :p Especially without a Driver device to slap about beforehand.

Woon.

-and taking a railgun round in the chest for his trouble.
Sure hope OL gauged the potency of his shot correctly against their armour. Or is at least using low-lethality rounds.

"Ah!"

He's knocked to the ground, and there's a small black mark where whatever strange technology holds his totally-not-lycra armour together smoulders as he rolls back to his feet.
Not often you see actual pyro marks on the uniform itself. That shit's expensive, you know. :p

"Did you not see the gun? Or did you think I was bluffing?"

He moves his sword to a guard position. "You think I don't have brains? Then why haven't you just set off the bombs? You don't need to give us a chance to defuse them."
Oh, good catch. If OL wanted all those disasters, he would have just started tearing shit up, after all.

"Is that what you want to do with Angel Grove's last… Seven minutes not being an irradiated wasteland? Fine, fine. Of course I didn't, but there's no power in the universe that can make Rita Repulsa stick to a deal when she doesn't feel like it. Working around you to wreck the world is too simple. I have to show her me beating you if I'm going to persuade her to keep me alive!"

"You're crazy!"
...Did Billy not mention that? I mean, at any point you guys weren't on screen?

"Says the guy still talking with six minutes and forty seconds left!"

He charges along the ground, sword in a guard position across his body. I fire-
Times like this you kinda wish the Rangers had their own individual special abilities, like throwing fire.

Woon.

-again, but he manages to parry the shot without being knocked back at all. Not sure.. how that works, but.. okay. I put a construct wall in the way but one slash of the sword cleaves through it and reduces it to orange mist.
Magic cancels physics. And despite the Ring's reputation, it is physics-driven...

Woon.

He parries that as well before accelerating into a sprint.
Guy loves his running, doesn't he? I suppose jumping around just asks for you to be shot out of the air, after all.

"Hah." I put a friction free construct strip on the floor between us, his feet shooting out from underneath him as his grip vanishes. He momentum keeps him coming flat on his back, sliding towards me as he tries to get back to his feet by rolling off. "Too easy."

He rolls off-.
Oh, that's got to be setting his temper on edge. Clever, keeping him off his game and focused on kicking ass, instead of being clever.

I raise a construct shield, the shots he fires with his sidearm from his prone position splatters off it a moment later.

"Do you want me to tell you what you're doing wrong?"
It's not like he can stop you, mind.

He stands, sword in his right hand and gun in his left. "What?"

"I have to defeat you to win Rita's favour. You have to prevent the bomb from exploding in order to save Angel Grove. Why are you fighting me rather than running for the bomb?"
...Because why would you let him go? Honestly, he's not that dumb, OL.

"Because you'd shoot me in the back."

"True, but you do realise that your teleporter can teleport you short distances, right? Come on, make me work for it! It's a big box with a radiation symbol on the side!""
Heh. Not the most optimal method of flash step, but if it works...

He holsters his sidearm and vanishes. Okay, good, that-.

CHING!
...It works.

I stumble forward as my railgun falls to the ground, Red Ranger's sword having sliced through the anchor point. A pile driver construct slamming into his chest and sends him flying back into -and through- the wall of an abandoned boatshed.

"Good thinking, but you realise I can just repair that, right?"
See, if this were a TV episode, the fans would definitely say this is where they saved the stunt budget for. :cool:

I crouch down to pick it up, and make a show of floating it back onto my shoulder and reattaching it.

"I just have to-" He picks himself up. "-wear you down until your potion power runs out."
...Interesting plan there, Tyranno-boy. Sure you've got it worked out?

"That would beat me. It wouldn't do anything to the nuclear bomb."

"I heard what Zordon said. If you go, they go!"
Actually, they existed before he showed up, and they'll keep existing after... It's just a matter of anything he did to it in the meantime.

"Go back to Pentex? And blow up there, amongst the largest concentration of highly refined nuclear material on the planet? Is that..? Good?"

"Why would they blow up if you set the time?"
He has a point. A bad one, but hey, he's trying.

"What, do I look as stupid as you do? Goldar set the timer. I just moved them."

I use a construct shield to block a volley of shots and then transition sideways to evade his swing.
Though I have no doubt OL made sure the detonators won't explode either way. Unless he absolutely needs them to.

"Oh-hooh! That wasn't aimed at my gun!"

"You're going to kill-" He swings and I transition just out of reach. "-thousands of people!"
To be fair, OL, he probably figures your armour is as tough as his Ranger suit, at least. And most Monsters take hits from Ranger weapons with only an explosion or two at most...

"No! Billions! And here's the thing: the Angel Grove bomb threatens the least people! If you were prioritising properly you'd be teleporting away to deal with the other bombs!"

He swings again, and this time I just sidestep.
Sadly, he's a hero, and heroes... Aren't exactly known for their logical thinking, especially in the heat of combat.

"I don't know how to defuse a nuke!"

"Hammer and chisel! You just have to crack the explosive shell around the uranium and it can't go critical!" He swings once more, and this time I lock his arm in place with construct manacles. "You could disarm it with your sword!" He struggles against my grip, but can't break free with raw strength. "The correct response is to-."
On the upside, if any of this sticks, it'll probably be the lesson in combat tactics OL is incidentally handing out.

He draws his sidearm with his left hand, switches it to knife mode and slashes it through my construct.

"There you go!"
Good, he's learning that his weapons can break Constructs.

He resheathes his sidearm and slashes-.

"Found it!" He teleports away. Finally taking my advice? Good show.
No doubt OL is more impressed at that than any of the kung-fu flipping about.

Of course, I know where the crate is, and there aren't that many ways to approach it. I transition to an overwatch position, ready my railgun and-.

And…

Ring, scan for Red Ranger-.
Oh-ho, has the musclehead out-smarted you? After all, you basically just confirmed for him where it was

And then I hear it.

Can he do that? I don't remember him doing that. I mean, sure, the green dagger is still 'available', but without the green power coin, shouldn't it-.
All's fair in giant robot combat. Especially when Nukes are involved.

The Dragonzord hasn't returned to the sea yet. He doesn't need to wait for it to-.

I shoot into the air, half a second ahead of the first volley of missiles!
...Since, as you put it, all he has to do is break the containment vessel to prevent a critical detonation.

Turnabout is fair play, OL. You stole it first, of course he's allowed to take it back. And clever move of him to use it to blow up the nuke without detonating it, which is a way to deal with them. I hope the other Rangers are having as easy a time. On the other hand, Rita's probably laughing her ass off as she watches all this. Between seeing him manhandle the Red Ranger, only to promptly lose his Zord... :V

He momentum keeps him coming flat on his back...
His momentum keeps him coming flat on his back...

Does PR!OL, or for that matter the Rangers, know that the teleporter doesn't have to be used on people? They don't need to defuse the bombs, just find them and teleport them to, say, Venus.

I think they do. Though, considering the danger, only Billy and Trini might think of that before telling the others.

General reminder that even the MMPR rangers can react fast enough to partially keep up with The Flash.

That would just create a Dirty Bomb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back