• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Repetition (part 20)
23rd April 2011
23:03 GMT -5

"…that you could have dealt with any of these problems yourself." My interviewer shrugs. "So the obvious question is: why didn't you?"

"And the obvious answer is: training."

"Training?"

"Yes. Despite the.. former policies of the Superhuman Development Department, superhumans aren't born with an innate knowledge of how to use their powers, much less how to apply them productively. As our.. previous public statements have covered-."

"You leave people in burning houses so you can train?!"

After decades of being able to reliably source obsequious interviewers for things like this, American Consolidated has now.. grudgingly accepted that anyone they put up is going to get harangued. And that that haranguing isn't necessarily bad. Drummer Boy having a bit of a break down after an interviewer went completely off on him actually improved his popularity ratings.

"As part of-."

"You think that anyone who burned to death because you were standing around cares why!?"

I smile, and I wait.

"Well?!"

"You clearly hadn't finished your question when I started speaking. I apologise. I wanted to be sure that you'd asked everything you wanted to ask before I replied to your perfectly reasonable question."

I smile, wait, and raise my eyebrows.

I think I've wrong-footed him, but this isn't about scoring points, at least not in the 'deal with interview' minigame. As in 'Thank You For Smoking', I'm not trying to convince the man opposite me. I'm trying to convince the audience.

Ah. It appears that he had finished.

"As part of a training program which lasts several months, trainee superheroes are taught how to handle themselves in a variety of high-risk situations. That includes burning buildings, a module which is taught by a mixture of former and currently serving fire fighters. After that, we consider them competent to handle a real fire, but… Obviously, it's better if someone who could deal with the fire if it proved more than they could handle is on hand. That is why I try to be there. But, there is only one of me. The objective of the exercise is to train them to handle things when I'm not there."

Not having an ego is… Surprisingly restful. People can be rude to me as much as they want, and I feel… Nothing, aside perhaps from a little pity. Certainly, I'm aware on an intellectual level that the staff has done a number on my mind, but… Aside from that time Charlotte and I went on a date, I really haven't noticed any real drawback.

The morning afterwards was awkward, when I made it clear that I'm literally incapable of giving her what she wants. I suppose that in the very long term I should probably look into doing something about it, but… I'm never the most urgent thing.

"So, what, the millions in property damage and hundreds of people left homeless don't bother you?"

"Objectively, if you live in a building worth millions then, by the standards of the planet at large-."

"Oh, don't give me that bullcrap! I thought you people worked for American Consolidated! It was certainly American lives that were lost when your co-workers tore a hole through Washington!"

"And Russian lives that were lost when the former department manager attempted to carry out a coup in Russia on behalf of the Communist Party."

Goodness only knows why he thought that would work. Honestly, sometimes Stillwell is the perfect corporate sociopath, and then at other time he does the most bizarre things. I do not understand the man.

"And to Stormfront's 'holidays', and… I really don't think that having a 'suffer-off' is a sensible way.. to…"

I stare in dismay as a red-glowing figure wearing my face flies in from the wings.

They told me that they shut down their cloning facilities. If they didn't learn anything from the whole horrible mess with Black Noir then I'm going to be demonstratively upset.

"Good morning."

My voice, my approach, and… That's a red power ring. Is he alright?

I can't see anything wrong with him.

If that's a power ring then he.. can't be a clone of me. If American Consolidated had the ability to make power rings-. If I had the ability to make power rings, things would be very different.

So that's not what's happening. Which leaves-?

He nods. "Parallel uni-."

"Who the fuck are you?! Get the fuck off my fucking st-."

A red cocoon forms around him, cutting off all sound.

"Parallel universe. A few versions of us are trying to stop Krona the Ex-Guardian, and Time Trapper thinks you're what we need. Does this Earth have anything that can help?"

"Not.. that I would want to rely on-."

He grimaces, then glares at my staff.

"Is that thing trying to mind control me?"

I shake my head as I call it over to me, catching it in my right hand as I stand.

"Yes, but it takes a very long time to do anything, and as far as I can tell it's not permanent. Still, if it makes you uncomfortable, simply stay away from it."

Ring, scan for a portal of some sort?

Yes, I've found it.

I wave my staff, and we're floating in the air… On the other side of the country.

3rd May 2011
10:49 GMT -6

The portal is a red-ringed hole in the air. The Red Lantern glares around, then flies through it. I give him a moment to warn them of my arrival, then drift after him, passing through…

And.. coming out in a crater, construct armour glowing around the Red Lantern's body as he wheels around. Presumably trying to find a target. The clean curve of the crater walls suggest that whatever did this was recent, and.. the artificial placement of patches of stone and metal suggests that there was a building here until recently.

"Red Lantern?"

"What-? Happened? I was only gone-."

Gold lights flash in the air above us, and three men and a woman appear, floating in the air and held aloft by their… Gold power rings? The symbol on their chests is that of the Green Lantern Corps. Gold cages clang into being around us as they raise their rings, then their gold-armoured leader descends to a position a little closer to our levels.

Sinestro peers at my face.

"What are you supposed to be?"

Last edited:
Hey Zoat has Saul injected himself with some Compound V to get powers?
Considering the fact that he has a power ring to help him deal with any damage and may be able to remove powers it would make sense if he tries to give himself some through injecting Compound V into himself.

Does the renegade have visions about his alternate versions like the paragon?

One of those awkward, "Oh dear" (said in a thoughtful voice), moments? :)

Looks like the Time Trapper and Red Queen negotiations with the Gold Lanterns aren't going quite as smoothly as they would have liked? Or, I guess, Gold Lanterns turning up to see what's taken a spherical bite out of one their cities, could be another possibility.
I've a suspicion he wouldn't mess with something that might fry his brain, or otherwise mess him up, possibly before his Power Ring could fix him. Compound V seems pretty nasty and unpredicatible.

Last edited:
One of those awkward, "Oh dear" (said in a thoughtful voice), moments? :)

Looks like the Time Trapper and Red Queen negotiations with the Gold Lanterns aren't going quite a smoothly as they would have liked? Or, I guess, Gold Lanterns turning up to see what's taken a spherical bite out of one their cities, could be another possibility.

Probably the second one there.

No.
Considering the fact that he has a power ring to help him deal with any damage and may be able to remove powers it would make sense if he tries to give himself some through injecting Compound V into himself.
Compound V as it exists in the setting isn't... Reliable. Unless you do what The Boys did and get Vogelbaum to personally work on a formulation that does exactly what you want, all sorts of things can happen.
Does the renegade have visions about his alternate versions like the paragon?
No.

23rd April 2011
23:03 GMT -5

"…that you could have dealt with any of these problems yourself." My interviewer shrugs. "So the obvious question is: why didn't you?"
"Because if I did it all myself, humanity would end up stagnating..." Honestly, that question comes up a lot. Usually around Superman.

"And the obvious answer is: training."

"Training?"

"Yes. Despite the.. former policies of the Superhuman Development Department, superhumans aren't born with an innate knowledge of how to use their powers, much less how to apply them productively. As our.. previous public statements have covered-."
Of course, the public probably just assumes that yes, the guy who can burn things by looking at them knows how not to... "Have you tried... Not being a mutant?"

"You leave people in burning houses so you can train?!"

After decades of being able to reliably source obsequious interviewers for things like this, American Consolidated has now.. grudgingly accepted that anyone they put up is going to get harangued. And that that haranguing isn't necessarily bad. Drummer Boy having a bit of a break down after an interviewer went completely off on him actually improved his popularity ratings.
Showing he's human, under the mask. Something the public seem to forget in this universe...

"As part of-."

"You think that anyone who burned to death because you were standing around cares why!?"
If they were in actual immediate danger, they'd be brought to safety with all speed. Again, training exercise. Saul can't really help himself, after all.

I smile, and I wait.

"Well?!"

"You clearly hadn't finished your question when I started speaking. I apologise. I wanted to be sure that you'd asked everything you wanted to ask before I replied to your perfectly reasonable question."
Good way to deflate his puffed-up state. Meet hatred with reasonable, patient calm...

I smile, wait, and raise my eyebrows.

I think I've wrong-footed him, but this isn't about scoring points, at least not in the 'deal with interview' minigame. As in 'Thank You For Smoking', I'm not trying to convince the man opposite me. I'm trying to convince the audience.
And if the man opposite you is frothing at the mouth with rage, he looks like an idiot by default.

Ah. It appears that he had finished.

"As part of a training program which lasts several months, trainee superheroes are taught how to handle themselves in a variety of high-risk situations. That includes burning buildings, a module which is taught by a mixture of former and currently serving fire fighters. After that, we consider them competent to handle a real fire, but… Obviously, it's better if someone who could deal with the fire if it proved more than they could handle is on hand. That is why I try to be there. But, there is only one of me. The objective of the exercise is to train them to handle things when I'm not there."
After all, Saul isn't immortal... Technically. I wonder if he's made plans in the event of his death. Though I doubt there's much on this Earth that could put him at risk...

Not having an ego is… Surprisingly restful. People can be as rude to me as much as they want, and I feel… Nothing, aside perhaps from a little pity. Certainly, I'm aware on an intellectual level that the staff has done a number of my mind, but… Aside from that time Charlotte and I went on a date, I really haven't noticed any real drawback.
Not much room for personal love amidst all that compassion...

The morning afterwards was awkward, when I made it clear that I'm literally incapable of giving her what she wants. I suppose that in the very long term I should probably look into doing something about it, but… I'm never the most urgent thing.
I'm guessing she wanted someone devoted to her, not a one-night stand...

"So, what, the millions in property damage and hundreds of people left homeless don't bother you?"

"Objectively, if you live in a building worth millions then, by the standards of the planet at large-."
Seriously, this guy isn't thinking his arguments through, is he?

"Oh, don't give me that bullcrap! I thought you people worked for American Consolidated! It was certainly American lives that were lost when your co-workers tore a hole through Washington!"
Something Saul had nothing to do with instigating, and I presume was there fighting to stop them?

"And Russian lives that were lost when the former department manager attempted to carry out a coup in Russia on behalf of the Communist Party."

Goodness only knows why he thought that would work. Honestly, sometimes Stillwell is the perfect corporate sociopath, and then at other time he does the most bizarre things. I do not understand the man.
Gotta wonder what's going through the loonie's head at times... Why would you even...?

"And to Stormfront's 'holidays', and… I really don't think that having a 'suffer-off' is a sensible way.. to…"

I stare in dismay as a red-glowing figure wearing my face flies in from the wings.
Ah, Raul has arrived. Time for the real plot to stick its nose in.

They told me that they shut down their cloning facilities. If they didn't learn anything from the whole horrible mess with Black Noir then I'm going to be demonstratively upset.
And then some people are going to be having a very bad time of matters...

"Good morning."

My voice, my approach, and… That's a red power ring. Is he alright?

I can't see anything wrong with him.
And that alone should be very telling based on his metaknowledge.

If that's a power ring then he.. can't be a clone of me. If American Consolidated had the ability to make power rings-. If I had the ability to make power rings, things would be very different.

So that's not what's happening. Which leaves-?
Take one guess, Saul...

He nods. "Parallel uni-."

"Who the fuck are you?! Get the fuck off my fucking st-."
Shush, little man. The important people are talking... And cameras are still rolling, aren't they? Wonder how this will play in the news?

A red cocoon forms around him, cutting off all sound.

"Parallel universe. A few versions of us are trying to stop Krona the Ex-Guardian, and Time Trapper thinks you're what we need. Does this Earth have anything that can help?"
...Pffft... No, I'm sorry, it was an honest question, he hardly knows what's been happening, does he? And I doubt he cares...

"Not.. that I would want to rely on-."

He grimaces, then glares at my staff.

"Is that thing trying to mind control me?"
Hmm... A Red version of Wholeness Rightly Assumed... Would that be called 'Fucking fix me now!' or similar?:V

I shake my head as I call it over to me, catching it in my right hand as I stand.

"Yes, but it takes a very long time to do anything, and as far as I can tell it's not permanent. Still, if it makes you uncomfortable, simply stay away from it."
Good advice, given his ring operates on 'proper' Indigo settings...

Ring, scan for a portal of some sort?

Yes, I've found it.

I wave my staff, and we're floating in the air… On the other side of the country.
Indigo teleportation. Moving at the speed of Plot!

3rd May 2011
10:49 GMT -6

The portal is a red-ringed hole in the air. The Red Lantern glares around, then flies through it. I give him a moment to warn them of my arrival, then drift after him, passing through…
And all hell has broken loose on the other side...

And.. coming out in a crater, construct armour glowing around the Red Lantern's body as he wheels around. Presumably trying to find a target. The clean curve of the crater walls suggest that whatever did this was recent, and.. the artificial placement of patches of stone and metal suggests that there was a building here until recently.
Looks like Krona took exception to their base...

"Red Lantern?"

"What-? Happened? I was only gone-."
Ah, that remarkable calm only an Indigo can produce... Did some temporal differential fuckery come in or something?

Gold lights flash in the air above us, and three men and a woman appear, floating in the air and held aloft by their… Gold power rings? The symbol on their chests is that of the Green Lantern Corps. Gold cages clang into being around us as they raise their rings, then their gold-armoured leader descends to a position a little closer to our levels.

Sinestro peers at my face.

"What are you supposed to be?"
Oh, dear... This promises to be interesting...

Well, Complication factor increased by at least 300%... Now, to see what the fricking hell happened! I wonder how Sinestro is going to take the existence of other emotional spectrum colours... (Then again, Star Sapphire...)

...a number of my mind,
...a number on my mind,

Unless you do what The Boys did and get Vogelbaum to personally work on a formulation that does exactly what you want, all sorts of things can happen.
So, Indigo knows exactly who to turn to to get it done, has access to the compounds necessary, and a powerstaff.

Yeah, Indigo has had work done.

Ohh, right. Can't remember the setting. Huh. I wonder if he could use the staff to alter it for him.

We need more Grayven here - I would like to see collective reactions of other Pauls when/if he makes an appearance.

Could he not do the stuff with a Power Ring? I've heard this semi-reliable rumour that Power Rings are awesome.
Numerous companies around the world have thrown billions at Compound V. None have managed what Vogelbaum did. Furthermore, it doesn't really help anyone else.

We need more Grayven here - I would like to see collective reactions of other Pauls when/if he makes an appearance.
Eh, I doubt Grayven is going to make an appearance in this plotline

For one thing if Paul had to be nerfed to not immediately resolve the plot then Grayven would have to be completely neutered, there's no real reason why Time Trapper would seek him out and, on a more meta level, it would be extremely confusing for the people that only read Paragon

Eh, I doubt Grayven is going to make an appearance in this plotline

For one thing if Paul had to be nerfed to not immediately resolve the plot then Grayven would have to be completely neutered, there's no real reason why Time Trapper would seek him out and, on a more meta level, it would be extremely confusing for the people that only read Paragon

Time Trapper also seemed confused when Paul mentioned the whole 'Grayven niche' thing that Ambush Bug told about, so he probably doesn't know that the renegade exists.

I could see (large) pony Grayven being an interesting addition to this mess... That's one reason I wondered if Power-that-Be ascended Cordelia Chase might get involved - our brave Lanterns have certainly poked the Buffy-verse... Messing with time and dimensions like that could attract a Dawn Summers, from a Buffy-verse, up the time-line, but, unless she's really escalated in a big way, she'd be out of her league.

I could imagine a Braniac 13, somewhere, in a temporally-locked workshop, shouting "What have the idiots done now?". Then, looking around to ensure no one saw his outburst. :)

No, I don't expect any of this to happen in the story. :)

Last edited:
I generally write under the assumption that people who read my work have read my work.

Do you also doubt other things that have already happened too?
I'm sorry, when did Grayven make an appearance in this plotline?

The last time he appeared was at the end of his own plotline that alluded to but is not a part of this one and the last time he was mentioned was Time Trapper saying that he has no clue who he is
I generally write under the assumption that people who read my work have read my work.
No offence but given the amount of people that have claimed to only read either Renegade or Paragon that doesn't seem like a safe assumption

I'm sorry, when did Grayven make an appearance in this plotline?
The air around us.. glows.. red..? I generate construct armour around Lynne and myself and grasp my weapons as I activate all available drones to repel invaders.

Then the ceiling above us just sort of opens and a giant blue hand reaches down towards me!

"Acquisition successful. Locating local variant 'Grayven'."

Giant blue hand, meet godkiller sword! I stab upwards as-

Ping.

-Mother Box goes to work on the portal itself. The Sword of the Fallen pierces the tip of the grasping forefinger, yellow.. blood? Crackling out. I don't know exactly how good a hit the Sword needs to depower-.

"Agh!"

The hand is withdrawn, the tip of the finger landing on my dining table as the portal collapses and the red light fades.

The heck was that about?

Man Paul's gonna have to update his load out for future Crisis Events, especially if it leaves him without his ring or equipment, maybe more focus on magic or have his own Scarab Beatle.

Given the fact that Krona has knowledge on how to deal with power rings, there are dimensional magical entities like Glory, and local versions of people like Sinestro armed with power rings along with esoteric tech or powers he's lucky he's attained enlightenment in order to use a violet ring so well.

I bet one way to possibly hurt Krona or his plans is to access dimensions similar to Earth -14 with the majority of its powered population being villains and point them at Krona; at best they cause some actual damage, at worst they make for a good distraction, and any casualties can be shrugged off since they're villains.

"Compassion" rendered him impotent?

Wow.

Not so much as sexually impotent, but incapable of giving her a romantic relationship.

But who knows now, it may be possible that the staff has altered him in such a way that he no longer feels any sexual attraction to anyone and now may be incapable of getting an erection or becoming aroused. He may be able to acknowledge someone as being attractive, but more in the way of an intellectual manner than a sexual one.

Still kiddies this is a good listen to remember.

Too much emotional spectrum can make you lose touch with Mr. Wee Wee.

Don't do emotional spectrum.

"Compassion" rendered him impotent?

Wow.
No. That would have made things awkward the night before, though he'd have been perfectly happy to get her off with mouth/hands/other. The morning after they actually talked about the nature of their relationship and he pointed out that while he was happy to play whatever role in her life she wanted he wouldn't be capable of loving her -or anyone else- for as long as he used the staff.

Edit: And after checking, it seems that I was slandering The Deep. He didn't pressure Starlight into giving him a blowjob. It was just Homelander, Black Noir and A-Train.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back