• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

I continue hurrying towards Adora's current location, feeling like a dunce. Eternian magicians need a fetish in order to use virtually all of their magic. When Teela Na made me Sorcerer, she lost hers. Which means that right now all she can to is turn into a bird. She literally can't restore Adora's memories herself without an unclaimed fetish, which Eternos doesn't have.
Is this an actual thing with He-Man magic? Because that seems like a major weakness to have. Then again, I suppose it's no different from a lich and their phylactery.

21st year of the reign of King Randor I
Season of Chill
307th day, 18th bell

"…far too delicate for you to perform."

"Yes, I-. I see that. I'm sorry."
...It took her that long to tell him 'no'? I'm guessing she had to use mental diagrams to lay out just how badly he's sent things tits-up. I hope she and Duncan were hurriedly dressing and running for his location while she was doing so. This situation probably deserves no less a reaction...

I continue hurrying towards Adora's current location, feeling like a dunce. Eternian magicians need a fetish in order to use virtually all of their magic. When Teela Na made me Sorcerer, she lost hers. Which means that right now all she can to is turn into a bird. She literally can't restore Adora's memories herself without an unclaimed fetish, which Eternos doesn't have.

And she can't use mine, because I've futzed around with it so that it will power the ring.
Well, be glad the castle didn't feel the need to give you a pointy hat. Because you'd probably be feeling even more dunce-like. :p

And while she could fly back to Castle Grayskull and get Evelyn to tag her in, as of right now Evelyn has the power and if she's found a way around her geas… We'd swiftly found ourselves down one Sorceress.

Why is Adora in the Masters' sparring arena? Since Teela Na warded the castle I've lost the ability to scan inside it. I only know that she's there because Sir Duncan's an anal retentive who couldn't quite stop working and got an automatic notification when someone accessed it.
Well, at least they've been listening to whatever suggestions he's offered about improving security.

I jog into-.

"Oh. Orange Lantern." Orko spots me from the observation platform. "I was just watching Prince Adam and the new girl." He rises up slightly to float over to me.
Ah, the Trollan. At least he can't mess things up with his magic any more...

"Prince Adam and the new girl? New blonde girl about Adam's height, same hair colour, same eye colour?"

"That's her."
Of course, he's probably just oblivious enough to human physiology that their resemblance wasn't noteworthy.

OhDear.

I start moving again. "And are they doing the sensible thing and using blunted training weapons, or is Adam just using his normal sword?"
Pffft, now why would they ever be sensible? :D They're teenagers!

"Ah… Is that bad?" Orko floats after me, his right hand on his hat. "I mean, it's the sword he always uses..?"

Filaments erupt from the ring and try to latch onto the access panel, only to evaporate because Sir Duncan implemented my defence review suggestions really thoroughly. Which is nice, but-. Damn it! I physically reach it a few seconds later and start typing in my code.
Baw-ha-haa! Hoist by your own paranoid petard, Lantern.

"Orko, how good are you with memory spells?"

"Uh, I've got a spell for mixing different people's memories around? That's great fun at parties."
...Not unless it has a natural time-limit and fail-safe end-state. No, I would not try that one...

"No, I mean-" Come on, come one, open already! "-do you have a spell-" The entryway begins scanning me to confirm my identity. "-for restoring memories?"

"Restoring, restoring..?" Orko starts nervously rubbing his hands together as he tries to remember. "Uh, oh! I've got a spell that makes memories play outside you head. Is that any good?"
...It might be as good as you get with him, even if his magic is more stable.

"Actually? Yes." The door slides back and I see-.

"Lantern. Orko."
Please don't be Duncan, please don't be Duncan...

A slightly bored-sounded Teela standing next to the exit with her staff in hand. A little way ahead, Adam and Adora are using the floating platforms mode of the arena. Adora is very much on the offensive, swinging her swords one after the other at any weak point she sees in Adam's defence. He's being forced to use his sword more like a shield than a bladed weapon; he's probably stronger than her but it doesn't take a lot of force to cut human flesh with a bladed weapon and he isn't getting the time to attack.
...Phew. On the other hand, that setup sounds like nothing but a recipe for disaster.

"I though you were spending the festival at the Castle? Which is why my father is spending it with the Sorceress."

Okay, they're fighting, but it looks like a spar. Adam doesn't look worried, and Teela clearly isn't worried. Actually-
...Let me guess, he's just being stupidly confident.

"Hey, nice try!"

-he doesn't look worried at ohnononono.
Yeah, I don't see her not getting frustrated and increasingly lethal.

"She turned up and I had to deal with her."

Teela raises her left eyebrow. "What, was she supposed to be your date?"
Eh, not Lantern's type. Too young, for a start.

"Ah, no."

"Adam's been trying to hit on her since they ran into each other. How did we get a Prince so pathetic that he can't find his own date on the one day a year when even my father has a date?"
Oh, she is so tsundere for him, isn't she? And please, don't let this become a Skywalker Twins situation...

Air hisses between my teeth as I inhale. "Okay, Orko, I need you to make her relive a really early memory. Her kidnapping as a small child."

"Relive a kidnapping? Um. I can do-"
And that sounds so wrong...

The head of Teela's staff leaps last Orko's face and ends up under my nose.

"-that?"

"Lantern, what's going on?"
...Lantern, you got some 'splainin' to do. Man, the debriefing after all this will be a thing of legend, won't it?

Before us, Adam jumps backwards, catches his foot against the side of a platform and kicks off. Adora is taken by surprise by his change of direction and just managed to swing at him while he's upside down.

Adam lands a short distance away and finally manages to get the Sword of Power into an offensive position. "Hah! Good one! I think you gave me a haircut! A few more and it'll be as short as yours!"
Well, good to see they're reasonably evenly matched, at least.

"That's Princess Adora, Adam's sister."

Teela frowns. "Adam doesn't have-."
Yes, it does sound like something out of a... :confused: I doubt Eternia would have soap operas... A bad adventure-romance?

"She was kidnapped when she was an infant by Hordak's soldiers, and was raised by her abductor. I'm hoping that Orko can trigger some memory of Eternos, otherwise-."

"Oh, that's easy! I've got a spell for recreating past events that's almost completely reliable! I love having a stabiliser again!"
o_O This is going to end in explosions, isn't it?

Teela lowers her staff, staring at Adora and Adom as she redirects his strike into the arena wall with her swords. "He's hitting on his sister. Somehow, I'm not surprised."

I raise my eyebrows. "You couldn't find a date either?"
Methinks she had kind of a plan involving Adam. Possibly one not even she was actually aware of...

"Someone had to keep an eye on Adam."

"Ac-tually, no." I shake my head. "No one has to look after Adam. Protocol allows for him to be left on his own inside Eternos."
Certainly, He-Man is rarely far away when he's out and about, after all. ;)

Adam goes for the double jump again, but this time he misjudges it and slams into a wall. Adora strikes down and he's-

"Yah!"

-forced to roll aside to avoid being struck.
And her temper seems to be wearing thin. Better be quick before you get a case of royal fratricide.

"Okay!" Teela and I look at the glowing purple orb in Orko's hands. "Spell's ready!"

Teela blinks. "I still can't quite get used to you being able to use useful magic. What exactly does this do?"
And how likely is it that 'Despera' there will take it as a sneak attack? ...'Yes'. :rolleyes: The answer is 'yes'.

"Oh, it's really clever! It recreates what happens in the minds of everyone affected using a sort of transtemporal arcanometry!" He makes a pushing motion and the spell orb flies towards Adora. "She'll see the whole thing, and-"

As the spell reaches her she turns, slamming both swords into the spell and rending red and purple light in all directions! I blink and the mist sinks into me and Teela, staring at my arms-.
Oh, she's good... But I suspect it still went off.

Adora watches it do the same to her, then stalks in our direction.

"What did you just do?!"
...Let's hope it takes effect before she can shave down those Trollan ears...

Orko's eyes widen. "Ahhh…"

The wall at the far side of the arena explodes, heavily armoured soldiers led by some guy with a jetpack storming in!

"Into the castle! Hordak will tolerate no failure!"
...And there's the explosions!

I'm betting this is actually Orko's spell taking effect, and they're just seeing the events of the night Adora was taken. Admittedly, knowing Orko's history of misfires, they're probably going to have to fight for their lives anyway, with the enemies seeming completely real to them. On the up side, the twins can bond over battling a common foe! And Lantern can put off his dressing-down by the Sorceress for a little longer... :oops:

Mr Zoat, Many Corrections!
Which means that right now all she can to is turn into a bird.
Which means that right now all she can do is turn into a bird.
Come on, come one, open already!
Come on, come on, open already!
...makes memories play outside you head.
...makes memories play outside your head.
Teela lowers her staff, staring at Adora and Adom...
Teela lowers her staff, staring at Adora and Adam...
It recreates what happens in the minds of everyone affected...
It recreates what happened in the minds of everyone affected...

Wait, Dragstar, the guy with the wheel, is flying in?

That's kind of off theme.

This ones just a basic flat tone skin so it's easy to edit, I was able to whip this up in paint 3d, what do you think?
That's better, thank you.
Is this an actual thing with He-Man magic? Because that seems like a major weakness to have. Then again, I suppose it's no different from a lich and their phylactery.
It's an actual thing in the 2002 series.
'leaps past'
'manages'
Which means that right now all she can do is turn into a bird.
Come on, come on, open already!
...makes memories play outside your head.
Teela lowers her staff, staring at Adora and Adam...
It recreates what happened in the minds of everyone affected...
Thank you, corrected.

o_O This is going to end in explosions, isn't it?

Pretty much.

I'm betting this is actually Orko's spell taking effect, and they're just seeing the events of the night Adora was taken. Admittedly, knowing Orko's history of misfires, they're probably going to have to fight for their lives anyway, with the enemies seeming completely real to them.

So a holodeck situation, but with magic.

It seems that Zoat finds the Westermarck Effect plausible.

It posits that the "Ew, they are like a sibling to me!" is based on being raised together from a young age, and not the existence or lack thereof of a biological kinship.

Are they seeing things happen while in a trance?
Or are they running about like loons sharing a mutual hallucination???

Eternian magicians need a fetish in order to use virtually all of their magic. When Teela Na made me Sorcerer, she lost hers. Which means that right now all she can do is turn into a bird. She literally can't restore Adora's memories herself without an unclaimed fetish, which Eternos doesn't have.

And she can't use mine, because I've futzed around with it so that it will power the ring.
Ok, could you clarify what exactly a fetish means in the context of Eternian magic?
Because with everyone magic carrying around silly looking staffs/wands (and Orko sucking because his original one broke, and then getting better when local OL got him a replacement) it seems to be the silly staffs. Possibly where the sillier the staff the greater the boost.

But that seems to conflict with here:

One staff, temporarily bequeathed to me by Sorceress Teela Na.

Another staff, this one topped with a crystal ball which allows her to call upon 'blue crystal magic', a title which makes me long for some sort of guide to pre-invasion magic use. Is the colour coding significant? Is it a matter of authorisation to use part of a planet's magic system? Does the colour indicate that they're better at certain tasks but the energy field itself is undifferentiated? Are there racks of crystals sitting somewhere, ready for use?
Because it seems there are at least three non-OL staffs on hand. Evelyn's (previously Lo-Jacked), the Sorcerer's Staff (of !!!GREYSKULL!!!), and this 'blue crystal magic' staff, which may have been a common mass produced staff before the apocolypse.

Why can't Teela Na use that staff as a loner to cast magic? Since it was one of the staffs she lent OL, she should be familiar with it.
And also, if she had to have been a magic user before becoming sorceress (to have the qualifications to become so), shouldn't she have at least two? Her personal fetish, and then the one that is her Sorceress badge of office?

Also, if lack of a fetish is a point of failure, why not make more as backups, to have in case your usual one gets confiscated/destroyed? It would be like a D&D wizard deciding to only have one Spellbook.

Last edited:
Ok, could you clarify what exactly a fetish means in the context of Eternian magic?
Because with everyone magic carrying around silly looking staffs/wands (and Orko sucking because his original one broke, and then getting better when local OL got him a replacement) it seems to be the silly staffs. Possibly where the sillier the staff the greater the boost.

Because it seems there are at least three non-OL staffs on hand. Evelyn's (previously Lo-Jacked), the Sorcerer's Staff (of !!!GREYSKULL!!!), and this 'blue crystal magic' staff, which may have been a common mass produced staff before the apocolypse.

Why can't Teela Na use that staff as a loner to cast magic? Since it was one of the staffs she lent OL, she should be familiar with it.
And also, if she had to have been a magic user before becoming sorceress (to have the qualifications to become so), shouldn't she have at least two? Her personal fetish, and then the one that is her Sorceress badge of office?

Also, if lack of a fetish is a point of failure, why not make more as backups, to have in case your usual one gets confiscated/destroyed? It would be like a D&D wizard deciding to only have one Spellbook.

Maybe her original was lost or destroyed in the past, or maybe she somehow outgrew it and can no longer use it.

As for shy she doesn't use the other staff's.

Maybe she's not do good with them and her being at low power would be a bad idea right now.

Heck, maybe this Paul just forgot about that due to the situation being very stressful.

Yes, and both of the staffs are back in Grayskull.
Because they no longer have the technological capability to make more and they're really rare.

Because they no longer have the technological capability to make more and they're really rare.
I assume someone figured out how the make them to begin with, and if you can't use magic without them they would have had to have been pretty basic 'technology' being the tier 0 of the magic tech tree.

Or are you positing a thing where you didn't use to need fetishes, and anyone could use magic, and then some magically powerful group got together and decided 'no, magic shouldn't be for everyone, just the people we allow' and did some mystical gatekeeping to lock everyone else out. And then they lost the war and their infrastructure got all blown to shit, and now no one can undo the hack job they did to the Rules of Magic?

But aren't there people around from before the fall?
Including magically savvy people like Evelyns dad?
Shouldn't they have passed down how to make more, or at least made more themselves?

I assume someone figured out how the make them to begin with, and if you can't use magic without them they would have had to have been pretty basic 'technology' being the tier 0 of the magic tech tree.

Just because it's Tier 0 of the magic tree doesn't mean it didn't require Tech level 16 to unlock in the first place.

So it's lost technology.

Or at least I'm assuming that this iteration of He-Man also has the "We apparently used to have much much more advanced technology but now it's lost but for the occasional artifact" esthetic going on.

Or are you positing a thing where you didn't use to need fetishes, and anyone could use magic, and then some magically powerful group got together and decided 'no, magic shouldn't be for everyone, just the people we allow' and did some mystical gatekeeping to lock everyone else out. And then they lost the war and their infrastructure got all blown to shit, and now no one can undo the hack job they did to the Rules of Magic?
As this version of the SI stated, it's quite possible that what they're doing isn't 'magic' as the other versions of the SI understand the term but rather some sort of broadcast energy manipulation. There isn't anyone alive on Eternia who could explain it in other terms.
But aren't there people around from before the fall?
Canonically? Two. Hordak and Zodak. Hordak doesn't come from Eternia originally and Zodak was a young infantryman with no higher education.
Including magically savvy people like Evelyn's dad?
No, he was born well after that invasion.
Shouldn't they have passed down how to make more, or at least made more themselves?
The knowledge might survive somewhere, but none of the characters the SI knows have any further knowledge.

I mean, yes, anything that has been discovered once can be discovered again, but it isn't going to be a fast process.

In case anyone was interested, Season 2 of the Netflix 3D CGI He-Man series is out, and it's just as good as the first.

And not to be confused with the controversial Kevin Smith sequel to the original series.

I'm too young to remember Skelly classic, but Ben Diskin is clearly enjoying himself.

In case anyone was interested, Season 2 of the Netflix 3D CGI He-Man series is out, and it's just as good as the first.

And not to be confused with the controversial Kevin Smith sequel to the original series.

I'm too young to remember Skelly classic, but Ben Diskin is clearly enjoying himself.
Is that series worth it in the long run?

I remember being unimpressed with it but I only ever saw the first 2 episodes or so.

I want to say 'Korra's less of a fuckup', but honestly I'm not sure Azula or the SI would spend much time with her. They might cause Kuvira to win, because Azula would see a lot of herself in Kuvira, but other than that I'm not sure.
Truly?

I would have assumed Azula would dislike Kuvira precisely because of the similarities.

I liked Kuvira and her arguments did hold some weight.
But once you've built a death laser and attached it to a giant mech you've rather gone full super villain.

Last edited:
As this version of the SI stated, it's quite possible that what they're doing isn't 'magic' as the other versions of the SI understand the term but rather some sort of broadcast energy manipulation. There isn't anyone alive on Eternia who could explain it in other terms.
Have you ever read Anne MacCaffery's "The Ship Who Won"? because the above sound's very familiar.

Have you ever read Anne MacCaffery's "The Ship Who Won"? because the above sound's very familiar.
Yes. I suppose the difference would be that the crystals were made by humans whose civilisation was destroyed, rather than by aliens who the humans never met.
Truly?

I would have assumed Azula would dislike Kuvira precisely because of the similarities.

I liked Kuvira and her arguments did hold some weight.

But once you've built a death laser and attached it to a giant mech you've rather gone full super villain.
No, you're doing a begging the question there. It's not having a mech that makes you a supervillain, it's what you do with it. Otherwise, Power Rangers are supervillains. And Korra was throwing around a giant laser just one series back.

The only thing Kuvira did that went outside the bounds was trying to exile people with non-Earth Kingdoms ancestry, and that was really... What's the word I'm looking for? Wedged in? Like the writers realised that they'd forgotten to make her evil and so stuck in a scene that showing something that was never hinted at before and isn't referred to later. Kuvira was actually a good ruler, and Raiko was trying to set up an incompetent coward as a puppet in her place.

Yes. I suppose the difference would be that the crystals were made by humans whose civilisation was destroyed, rather than by aliens who the humans never met.

No, you're doing a begging the question there. It's not having a mech that makes you a supervillain, it's what you do with it. Otherwise, Power Rangers are supervillains. And Korra was throwing around a giant laser just one series back.

The only thing Kuvira did that went outside the bounds was trying to exile people with non-Earth Kingdoms ancestry, and that was really... What's the word I'm looking for? Wedged in? Like the writers realised that they'd forgotten to make her evil and so stuck in a scene that showing something that was never hinted at before and isn't referred to later. Kuvira was actually a good ruler, and Raiko was trying to set up an incompetent coward as a puppet in her place.
I personally think that she shouldn't have tried to take Zaofu nor the Republic, not to mention show more respect for the spirits and have reigned things in with the re-education camps among other things but otherwise yes she was a much better leader than Wu could ever be. I gotta say I'm looking forward to when we see Paul discovering the Avatar world.

That's fair.

That's precisely how I felt about the reeducation camps. Why even include it if it just never comes up again?

I personally think that she shouldn't have tried to take Zaofu nor the Republic, not to mention show more respect for the spirits and have reigned things in with the re-education camps among other things but otherwise yes she was a much better leader than Wu could ever be. I gotta say I'm looking forward to when we see Paul discovering the Avatar world
I have varying feelings about her taking over Zaofu and the UR.

Contrary to what Suyin seemed to believe Zaofu didn't exist in a vacuum.
At the time Kuvira was the legitimate leader of the nation Zaofu was a part of. Being the only holdout in the entire Earth Kingdom that hadn't signed on they were essentially bourgeoisie partisans.
I'd have more issues with it if Su hadn't tried to murder her in her sleep. An assassination attempt against a head of state does, politically speaking, make military action justifiable.

The invasion of the Republic is iffier.
Ultimately though, whether or not it's people choose to acknowledge it the United Republic is a colony built on stolen land.
Considering that Raiko blatanly tried to install a puppet government I think Kuvira's decision is defensible.

Definitely not a nice thing to do, but not unreasonable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back