• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Tribulations of the God-Harem King [Highschool DxD/Exalted] (CLOSED)

That said I think that we should go the lightsaber route for a very, very simple reason: it's blade has an on/off switch.

The amount of a situational modifier having a glowing sword whose blade can basically go intangible at will would be for Issei's swordplay effectiveness is just plain ludicrous.
  • Make a big to-do about leaning into a heavy blow so they move to block - deactivate before block, reactivate and laugh at their attempt.
  • Use the blade's light as something of a flashbang/visual sapper with rapid flickering to make tracking you hard as heck.
  • Get the unlit blade into a place where there's nothing but enemy flesh in the way of it's blade - and activate it.
There are entire websites that focus on how broken a lightsaber type item can be for swordplay - and it's all stuff Issei could feasibly have seen.

finally I can post this!

aOq6Rxv_700b_v1.jpg

Haven't we been training with kiba a bit with swords? Some of the charms issei knows don't require being unarmed and can be used with a sword i think.

Besides isn't Issei a twilight and supposed to be a mage? Its a bit ironic when most of issei's skills lie in brawling XD

Haven't we been training with kiba a bit with swords? Some of the charms issei knows don't require being unarmed and can be used with a sword i think.
No. Solar Hero Style is only compatible with a select number of martial arts weapons, namely smashfists and khatars and stuff. If you want swords you need to learn a style that's compatible with them or just go for Melee charms. Which is a terrible idea because we could be sinking that EXP into more important things instead of mastering two forms of hand-to-hand combat when one is more than sufficient.

If you want Issei to get better at combat, we should be expanding either his arsenal of martial arts charms or focus more on spellcasting for ranged options, not on getting up to basic competence with a completely redundant skill.

[X] Hellfire
-[X] Without turning away, you ask, "That's the sword, isn't it?" Because of course it is, your luck demands nothing less.

Why on earth would you ever want to fuck around with a cheap lightsaber ripoff when you have a weapon hand-made by God for asskicking?
Because in their current default form they don't do any such hand protecting - bracelet things, remember?

Oh sure Issei can make them go gauntlet - but if that transformation ever got disrupted he's left trying to handle a blade bare-handed.

On the other hand if the lightsaber fails he hasn't even deployed his gauntlets yet - see how much less up shit creek he is there?

And, again: rule of cool is part of the lifeblood of exalts, and is something Issei himself immensely enjoys. Steadfastly ignoring that to do what's 'efficient' is... boring.

Because in their current default form they don't do any such hand protecting - bracelet things, remember?

Oh sure Issei can make them go gauntlet - but if that transformation ever got disrupted he's left trying to handle a blade bare-handed.
Which he can do because he has Fists of Iron Technique.

Also, Boosted Gear does not "fail" under any circumstances. A cheap lightsaber ripoff used by fallen priests is a lot more likely to just sputter out and die on us at a bad time.

On the other hand if the lightsaber fails he hasn't even deployed his gauntlets yet - see how much less up shit creek he is there?
A lightsaber that fails while you're in the middle of trying to parry a blade means you get cleaved open, so no, not really.

And, again: rule of cool is part of the lifeblood of exalts, and is something Issei himself immensely enjoys. Steadfastly ignoring that to do what's 'efficient' is... boring.
Rule of cool only works by virtue of being fantastically badass. Exalts are not entitled to be awesome at all things, only the things they're good at.

Smuthunter we can upgrade the Lightsaber to be on par or better then our foes blade. remember the gift ability?

Does anyone else think we should put dots in a Martial Arts specialty for Gauntlet fighting? I think it would raise us to the master level if we just put one or two dots in it.

Smuthunter we can upgrade the Lightsaber to be on par or better then our foes blade. remember the gift ability?
Oh yay, so the shitty lightsaber ripoff does double damage whenever we hit with it, which will be pretty much never because we only have Melee 2 and no Melee excellency. You can't upgrade yourself to be a better swordsman without spending EXP on it, which is a huge waste of everyone's time and energy when we could be spending it on more spells or presence charms or, you know, other things we might actually get some use out of.

finally I can post this!
The reason that in Canon we never see such things is 1: The creators of Star Wars aren't that smart. 2: Jedi knights haven't fought other Force users for generations by the time of episode 1. There weren't really any lightsaber duels.

Now: The lightsaber is a really effective combat tool for us: IN SOCIAL COMBAT! Come on, what would YOU think if someone uses Gauntlets of Distant Touch Mode and then pulls a Lightsaber on you? If someone pulls a Badass Boast on us we can just tell them to "Never underestimate a Jedi's Skill." As soon as we switch back to combat ticks however we drop that thing and pull out Boosted Gear in full Gauntlet Mode. With a line like:"No... You are just fools, it would be unjust to kill you. I will simply knock you out."

moreover: Couldn't we use Martial Arts while clutching a deactivated Lightsaber in our fist?

Anyway: The Lightsaber will be our weapon of Terror, designed to frighten, while BG will be our weapon of War, designed to KICK ASS!

tl:dr We just use the Lightsaber as a prop while Force Choking us some bitches.

aOq6Rxv_700b_v1.jpg
I find it immensely amusing that most of the Sith ones end with "Torture at will".

Edit: I think using a sword at this point won't do much to help us. We're too specced for unarmed combat. All we need to do is summon our gauntlets and we'll be plenty armored for dealing with someone using a sword.

Last edited:
Remember Rule of Cool is THE number one rule and anyway does it really matter all we have to do is access how powerful it will be and if visa versa we can use the light saber or are fists

Remember Rule of Cool is THE number one rule
This is not how Exalted works.

Listen to me and listen good. Exalts do not get to be awesome just by virtue of being Exalts. Exalts are only awesome at the things they are good at and have put time and training into learning to surpass human limitations. We are good at martial arts. We are not good at Melee. We have Melee 2 and no charms, which means our competence with bladed weapons is merely mortal, and not even a particularly skilled mortal.

People who say efficiency is less important than whether something is cool have never played the game. Coolness flows forth from efficiency, because putting your EXP in the right place is the difference between being awesome at things you're good at or just being terrible or mediocre at a bunch of other things. Solars are at their best when they specialize, and we have specialized ourselves to be a badass kung-fu wizard. Like it or not, that's what we are and that's what we kick ass at, not at dicking around with stolen movie props.

Look I do not now what your problem I'd but calm down.

First that was a JOKE.

Second if you had bothered to read or even reply to the OTHER half of my post you would of seen that.

And last CALM YOUR ASS DOWN.

I am not even agreeing to use the light saber right now.

Oh and one more thing just because we are a kung fu wizard does not mean we can't learn how th use a weapon because it is VERY likely that we will eventually need how to use one and that is all I have to say to you.

If we are in need of charms and more dots in melee or any other field, then why don't we buy some? It's not like we're hurting for XP, and there is no rule that we can't buy any skill or charm at the moment.

Oh yay, so the shitty lightsaber ripoff does double damage whenever we hit with it, which will be pretty much never because we only have Melee 2 and no Melee excellency. You can't upgrade yourself to be a better swordsman without spending EXP on it, which is a huge waste of everyone's time and energy when we could be spending it on more spells or presence charms or, you know, other things we might actually get some use out of.

It probably wouldn't be difficult to turn the thing into a beamklave, if it doesn't count as one already.
If we are in need of charms and more dots in melee or any other field, then why don't we buy some? It's not like we're hurting for XP, and there is no rule that we can't buy any skill or charm at the moment.
We do have other things we should be spending XP on unfortunately.

because it's a lot cheaper to just learn a martial art style that includes swords so we can use our martial arts charms rather then learning a whole extra charm tree which I will note is also unfavoured, and unlike Martial Arts won't get a discount in the future *ya for Issei breaking the world* at least as soon as he learns the second stage of the custom charm I created for him which lets him teach CMA and cuts xp costs for learning them *to at least favoured levels, can't remember if it's more don't have the pages open any more since the forum move >.>*

I want Issei to learn more spells, as a twilight his spell repertoire is horrifically lacking, bright comments on it almost all the time.

We really need to get crafting up too.

While I laugh and would enjoy a scene with issei fighting with a lightsaber, I want him to focus more on magic then martial arts.

We do have other things we should be spending XP on unfortunately.
Really? Because so far, everytime smeone suggests to buy a charm then we decide to just leave it be for some reason or another.

If we really had other things to spend XP on then we would already have done so.

Really? Because so far, everytime smeone suggests to buy a charm then we decide to just leave it be for some reason or another.

If we really had other things to spend XP on then we would already have done so.

This meeting with the Pheonixes(I spell that right?) could influence a lot of our future events. As soon as its over and we have a better feel on how things shake out, I plan on voting to spend much of our hoarded EXP.

That's because the quest has been moving so slowly that we haven't talked about it in a while.

For starters, we need more Presence charms. We still haven't picked up Hypnotic Tongue Technique, which leads into Minds Yield to Glory (AKA "Solar therapist technique" AKA we can cure mental illnesses via social interaction) and You Can Be More, which several people said they wanted during the last arc.

Since we're going to be dealing with politics soon it's time we started investing in Investigation, which has all kinds of fun stuff like Judge's Ear Technique, which allows us to instantly know when someone is lying to us. For bonus points it's one of our caste skills so we get a time and experience discount for investing in it.

Occult has the new spell system from Mage or whatever it was and we could sink more points into that, or we could finish up the trials and purchase Terrestrial Circle Sorcery, which opens up a whole new can of bullshit for us to play with. Sorcery gets us stuff like Death of Obsidian Butterflies, which is tactical-scale magic that hits an area the size of a football field, or Emerald Circle Countermagic, which is ideal for tearing down huge rituals like the one that gets used at the peace conference or the one that Kokabiel nearly destroyed Kuoh and the surrounding city with.

We also want to invest two more points and at least one charm in Integrity so we can purchase Truth Shines Through, which is our one and only path to unravelling the Great Curse. We don't seem to have a huge issue with social combat though so we can more or less pass on it otherwise unless I'm forgetting something important.

We should also sink some points into Athletics and Awareness so we can pick up Panoptic Fusion Discipline (the "you spend an entire scene in bullet time" charm) and Surprise Anticipation Method (AKA "nothing takes you by surprise. Ever."). Athletics is more useful for general-purpose performance increases in things like jumping height and lifting weight, but there's also Racing Hare Method which gives us an overland travel speed and turns us into the Road Runner on command, and Graceful Crane Stance which lets us keep our balance on anything down to the size of a human hair.

Really there's lots of stuff to buy that's more important than getting up to par with a redundant combat style.

Last edited:
That's because the quest has been moving so slowly that we haven't talked about it in a while.

For starters, we need more Presence charms. We still haven't picked up Hypnotic Tongue Technique, which leads into Minds Yield to Glory (AKA "Solar therapist technique" AKA we can cure mental illnesses via social interaction) and You Can Be More, which several people said they wanted during the last arc.

Since we're going to be dealing with politics soon it's time we started investing in Investigation, which has all kinds of fun stuff like Judge's Ear Technique, which allows us to instantly know when someone is lying to us. For bonus points it's one of our caste skills so we get a time and experience discount for investing in it.

Occult has the new spell system from Mage or whatever it was and we could sink more points into that, or we could finish up the trials and purchase Terrestrial Circle Sorcery, which opens up a whole new can of bullshit for us to play with. Sorcery gets us stuff like Death of Obsidian Butterflies, which is tactical-scale magic that hits an area the size of a football field, or Emerald Circle Countermagic, which is ideal for tearing down huge rituals like the one that gets used at the peace conference or the one that Kokabiel nearly destroyed Kuoh and the surrounding city with.

We also want to invest two more points and at least one charm in Integrity so we can purchase Truth Shines Through, which is our one and only path to unravelling the Great Curse. We don't seem to have a huge issue with social combat though so we can more or less pass on it otherwise unless I'm forgetting something important.

We should also sink some points into Athletics and Awareness so we can pick up Panoptic Fusion Discipline (the "you spend an entire scene in bullet time" charm) and Surprise Anticipation Method (AKA "nothing takes you by surprise. Ever."). Athletics is more useful for general-purpose performance increases in things like jumping height and lifting weight, but there's also Racing Hare Method which gives us an overland travel speed and turns us into the Road Runner on command, and Graceful Crane Stance which lets us keep our balance on anything down to the size of a human hair.

Really there's lots of stuff to buy that's more important than getting up to par with a redundant combat style.
Then can you put thme in a voting format? I'll vote for those since they seem useful, but afterwards i would like to see Ise learn another martial art besides Fist of the Daystar.

We should buy some more Martial Arts Charms, too. Solar Counterattack would be very nice for punishing the enemy for making trying to overwhelm us with attacks. Get Eye-for-an-Eye Response to make countering flurries cheaper. Inexorable Progress of Dawn is pretty niche but could become very useful. Get Thunderclap Rush Attack to drastically reduce our speed, etc.
We've been in tons of fights and will continue to get into fights in the future, all those utility charms are nice but remember that there are still lots of people around that could kick our ass.

I for one am looking forward to solar counter attack.

[X] Alexanders preference.
-[X] Without turning away, you ask, "That's the sword, isn't it?" Because of course it is, your luck demands nothing less.

Hmm. We have 30 EXP. The cost to increase a caste ability is (rating x 2) – 1. So maxing out Investigation -- which we can do with no training time because it's a caste skill -- would cost us 3+5+7+9=24 EXP. We then need either the First or Second Investigation Excellency to pick up JET, which put together is... 16 EXP, and would take a few days to learn each charm. But we can bypass that if we go into EXP debt and grab them immediately so we'll have them ready for the meeting with Lord Phenex tomorrow.

Alternatively, we could just max out Investigation and leave off on EXP debt until we're sure we need it, like in the middle of negotiations, which would leave us six EXP to hang on to or spend on other things.

Another good charm to get is Night's Avenger Lunge. Being able to teleport right into your enemies face regardless of distance is good for dealing with all those pesky flying enemies and snipers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back