1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Laufe

Laufe Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

It may have been civilized. But it was also a fight.

Gravyen's domain is Conquest, his outright ability to literally make his enemy crumble before him is a massive part of his powerset. Had Paragon simply left this confrontation as a battle of words, the victory would have been handed to Grayven.

Paragon's move may have been a dick move by normal standards, but, it also established to the God of Conquest, who has already been stopped in his tracks by OL, that he can be beaten. This means in their next encounter, Paragon will be on a stronger metaphysical footing, as he's already bested the God of Conquest.

2. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Indeed. Not the most memorable character. And his existence didn't help Darkseid retain any dignity from his repeated defeats...

Ah, Apokaliptian technology. Always such a classy visual... And wasted on Grayven-16.

Giving information without giving anything of real value away. Nice. Thankfully, it's a long way to Earth from here, so Gravy-boy isn't likely to come looking anytime soon...

My, he seems almost excited to meet someone who's heard of him before he stomps on them... I guess that gives him a little mojo boost.

More than you can handle easily, I think. Any fight would be a slobber-knocker...

Heh. That unconventional soul of OL's again. :p Bet it looks really freaky to Gravy-boy's divine senses...

I have the feeling he's been relying a lot on his ability to Godspeech people into submission for a while now...

It's like having someone talking behind your back.. right in front of your face. Very rude little boy.

Well, he can try. I doubt any explanation could really convey the sense of it, even if OL could have felt it then as easily as he is now.

Calling up the Ophidian's power to make a point? A little risky. Stylish, but risky.

And that's an interesting reaction. Given the greater sense of soul that New Gods have, I bet that felt like having someone run a finger down your spinal column.. from the inside.

Of course, that's contingent on him working in Darkseid's name. Prudent to assume he is, though

Indeed. One thing they can probably agree on: The Reach are arseholes.

I wonder how many years it took to get them up to his standards? One Gordanian generation? Two? And I wonder if Daddy knows he took the ship? ...Well, He almost certainly knows. More of a question is whether He cared...

Only for as long as they can't get away with it. Soon as their major rivals go bye-bye, they'll roll out to sweep the galaxy before them...

Few are.

But neither are you, is that right? Otherwise, you wouldn't have stopped to talk, or even let the NEMO fleet escape. As big a dick your ship is, it isn't big enough to swing in Darkseid's yard...

As expected. No doubt he expects them to become cogs in his machinery of Conquest.

Huh. Not such a bad boss as I thought, if his standards are that high. admittedly, it's not hard to have better standards than the Reach.

Good for you, then. You do know you're going to have to clean up your toys once you've bought them. No takebacks, little man.

Ah, his narrative Mojo would have taken a hit if he'd just wiped them out. After all, the stronger the foe, the sweeter the feeling of victory, of seeing them bending knee or neck before you.

So, stay on your side of the Reach, NEMO will stay on theirs. I suppose that's as much as you'll get out of him...

Oh, that isn't good... He's pegged OL as a Worthy Opponent, hasn't he? What the Orks would call a Skumgrod? A good scrap.

Which should say something about how hard he is to actually kill. No doubt Gravy-boy will take that as a challenge...

...He seems to be getting a little excited. I guess Apokaliptions really are aroused by power...

Hang on...

Yeah, that'll get treated by his Mojo as a retreat, won't it?

Haha! Leaving him with a stinging reminder of what OL could do to him. And weakening him a little by not taking first blood...

Less confrontational than I was expecting. At least, on the physical plane. That parting shot... And now, back to the NEMO fleet and finding out what the hell Dox was up to, eh?

Indeed, that's how I saw it too. While it might not play out in quite the narrative fashion I like to think it does, merely retreating in the face of Grayven's army would have disempowered OL...

As it is, this is like walking away from a duel with the opponent bleeding from a tiny scratch on the cheek. OL knows he could have done more damage. Grayven knows he could have done more damage. And that little germ of knowledge will linger in Grayven's metaphysique, a little chink in his armour to exploit in future...

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think you just called Murphy.

Unless Darkseid doesn't care about conquering planets and is just interested in the AL Equation.

Hey, I said that!

4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Except Paragon still ran away.

Which we know from Renegade invalidates anything and everything else so far as that is concerned.

Cuchulin likes this.
  5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Running away means that he didn't try anything else. From what I saw, Paul demonstrated the ability to, even if only momentarily, incapacitate Grayven. Afterwards, he left, as if telling the New God of Conquest that he wasn't worth the effort of fighting and that Paul had better things to do. That's going to really irk Grayven. Grayven might be Paul's new archenemy; Paul hasn't had one since he got rid of both Klarion and Nabu.

6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Probably not, but he might get to the point where he can fake it.
    Thank you, corrected.

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Technically Boss Smiley could be considered his archenemy.

Truggs and Luthor may also count.

8. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

Whatever happened with Dox no matter if it's a blue screen because 'NOT AS PLANNED', or because soul fuckery being super effective. From here out Dox is likely destined to be only a Rear Echelon Mother Fucker. Also the two still need a serious talk about Dox's hiring practices.

9. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

Uh, yeah, you got a citation on exactly how this works?
    I ask because you might be right... or maybe OL kicked grayven's metaphorical teeth in and left, unharmed.

10. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

This Grayven is infinitely less impressive than ReneGrayven. Then again, most Apokalyptians tend to be one trick ponies. Either all "HAIL DARKSEID", "*Generic Evil Badguy Noises*", or "I'm just so tragically misunderstood".

I can't tell if he disliked the Ophidian because it was looking at him, or if it's because he just got freaked out and angry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Please don't talk like that. I understand that communication thing but-"

"FOOLISH MORTAL! YOU KNOW NOTHING!"

"Well fine, I'll talk your language."

"Oh source what the fuck get rid of it get rid of it oh darkseid what the fuck"

11. Alasnuyo

Alasnuyo I am always here

This entire chapter and the one before it is just OL and Grayven flexing on eachother, isn't it?

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

A metaphysical dick measuring contest.

Grayven is the insecure one while Paul is the confident one.

13. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Doesn't matter.

Conquest power wise we know running away gives the person who didn't run away the win.

Cuchulin likes this.
  14. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

With New Gods, that's a serious duel in itself.

moralrelativity and Cuchulin like this.
  15. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Paul has every reason to be confident in his.... Snake

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  16. Hell's Razer

Hell's Razer Passive Member

If I am reading this correctly it was the equivalent of a flick on the forehead so... fuming?

17. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

Grayven attempts dick measuring.

OL's snake proves superior.

18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

His big, orange snake.

19. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

Ugh, I totally missed that Darko made my joke before me! Not an attempt to steal joke! Sorry!

moralrelativity and Darko like this.
  20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Don't worry about it, it's fine.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    moralrelativity likes this.
  21. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

...still shipping it.

Actually, shipping it more, now.

Amongst other things because the misunderstandings when Paul meets Rene-Paul would be hilarious.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well Paragons relationship with Jade started after she tried to kill him, so we know he's not against dating people who commit violence against him.

23. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

More like he started talking with her out of guilt after he almost killed her...

moralrelativity, CTrees and Cuchulin like this.
  24. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

This entire ‘confrontation’ was one long example of someone mistaking politeness for weakness and failing to comprehend that they are vastly outclassed by the person they are trying to intimidate.

25. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I wouldn't say Paul vastly outclasses Grayven. Other than that, I agree with your statement. Grayven is probably not used to anyone being polite with him. Everyone is either someone who can crush him (i.e. Darkseid), or someone he can crush (i.e. most mortals).

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though he did speak with her before he almost killed her, and he also kissed her before that.

27. liger0

liger0 Getting out there.

I can't remember. Has Zoat said if/when the paragon will meet the renegade?

28. HereforZooat

HereforZooat Getting out there.

29. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

And do you have a citation indicating that counted as running away?

30. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

There was probably also a bit of thematic advantage for Paul during that dick measuring contest: Conquest as Grayven defines it is almost entirely an act of Avarice.