• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Unless this Ol has developed body-snatching, I'm pretty sure that should be 'seen'.

'Once' works better, but 'one' isn't wrong.
Ah, the advanced Greed Technique of desire-shifting. You literally metaphysically become another person, do a thing, and then they have to live with being morally culpable because after all "they" "did" do it.

Granted, using it to ruin someone's moral high ground by flirting as them is astonishingly petty...

Now now, let's not make assumptions here. OL very well may have done exactly that. Maybe he enjoys having Remi treat him like a pretty lady every now and then.
I was thinking more in terms of being Remi and hitting on others than the one being hit on by him, but that works too.

This is a question known as Fun Theory, or the Boredom Problem. We play tic tac toe as children, but eventually we stop. The game bores us. We grow more intelligent. We strip mine all the fun from tic tac toe. Then we don't want to play it with our friends anymore. We move on to checkers. That's a more complicated game that takes a bit more foresight and benefits from the added complexity. Then chess. Then go. Good food all the time soon loses its luster as well, as the best food you've ever eaten can only grow better over time and becomes the standard to which all other food is compared. And believe me, I feel you. I'm an altruistic hedonist. I want to maximize the amount of hedons I accrue, and I recognize that friends make more fun possible, so I want those friends to also have all the fun. But there's diminishing returns. You either die having fun, or live long enough to do everything until it isn't fun. At some point, your experience starts to dip into negative hedons. All the hobbies have been invented, joined, lost, rediscovered, and been committed to muscle memory. Every AGDQ has people who have cybernetic superintelligent brains, and they all tie with TASbot performing the same run they did last hundred years. And then you turn the TV off because you don't want to watch it anymore. You've had your fun.

While I can see that happening I don't necessarily believe it will hold for Transhuman/Posthuman entities.

For one, a software entity can simply reward-hack itself to not get bored of certain things (and set a timer every thousand years or so to reverse that, to avoid stagnation)

Another option would be to "relearn" the value of things by roleplaying as a character in a fictional world that doesn't have those things (perhaps that is happening right now?)

Then there is the factor of surprise: as long as you assume not to know everything there might be unknown unknowns left. You could be surprised in a positive way or might want to make your voice heard in an unpleasant situation.

One classic example would be contact with alien life.

There is also the fact that human desires adapt to their surroundings. When new situations and options become available, we want and value things related to them.

Food became abundant and "not starving" doesn't really show up on many people's internal radar anymore.

The internet became a thing and part of human lives.

Imagine having full introspective access to your own value system. Who knows what meta-cogntitive goals and values could emerge in society from that?

Paul is a mild variant, since he is still mostly human: he got orange enlightenment and his desires literally changed. He now places no value on figuring out what would fullfill him anymore...since he already knows.

"Never met the man. But I've got what I think is a piece of alien technology I think he'll trade for his help. Make a decision, Mister LeBeau."

I'm kind of perplexed as to how Gambit is a part of this equation.

It's not like he's doing anything to get a technological solution, so why on earth would Paul get a forcefield for him, instead of the obvious choice of getting one directly for Rogue herself?

I mean, if the point is to give Rogue free will in who to pursue a romantic relationship with, wouldn't the obvious choice be to just give her the means to touch anyone, rather than giving her the means to specifically touch one other person?

Feels like getting a forcefield for Gambit would just hang a lampshade on the fact that he could have got one for Rogue and chose not to.

As mournfully as I can while covered in the blasted, chocolaty remains of the morning's work.

"I… I guess I used too much baking powder."

Honestly thought this would be the whole cake eating thing you mentioned.

She then… Inserts the middle three fingers into her mouth, making a loudSucking noi-.

There it is!

Was that orange also Paul's instead of just Rogues, due to watching a woman doing what she is doing being very arousing.?

We were thinking 'Ohh, Hot!'

"Try not ta wreck the place. And maybe put a sock on the door next time."

Such a considerate man.

A certain existing member of the team has been making it clear that he's not at all happy with the way things have been developing. This is the furthest he's taking things, but if he's getting this petulant then I… Need to have a word with the man.

It's Gambit, isn't it?

"As, ah… Appealing as that sounds, I need to go and have a word with Mister Le.. Beau."

Yep.

Ignoring the idea of a masculine wet t-shirt contest that suddenly appears in my mind, I shake my head.

Well there's your answer, enter a threeway relationship with Rogue and Gambit.

"I'm sorry, but it's somewhat hard to parse the meaning of an exploding cake." He smirks. "And I'm sure that if I let it go you'd continue pranking me in a similarly juvenile fashion

Thought it was Jubilees fault.

that I've been you hit on four other

'I've seen'

"Mister LeBeau, you live in a world of hover wheelchairs, man-portable plasma weapons and giant robots. And yet, not once have you attempted to acquire a device that would let you touch her

To be fair he may have thought that if the Professor hasn't given her something like that then it may not exist.

But I've got what I think is a piece of alien technology

The Mandarins ring.

We play tic tac toe as children, but eventually we stop.
Untrue.

Demonstrably false.

We grow more intelligent.
Arguable. Some would say it's the opposite.

Then we don't want to play it with our friends anymore.
Then you have shitty friends. Also objectively untrue.

We move on to checkers.
I've literally never touched checkers in my life.

That's a more complicated game that takes a bit more foresight and benefits from the added complexity
My strategy in any boat game has always been 'Ooh, shiny'.

See above.

Go where?

Good food all the time soon loses its luster as well, as the best food you've ever eaten can only grow better over time and becomes the standard to which all other food is compared.
Patently false. Eating cup noodles has never lost its shine despite the four years I've continued to indulge in them.

I'm an altruistic hedonist.
First thing we can agree on.

You either die having fun, or live long enough to do everything until it isn't fun.
Ask any man, 99% of them will tell you they masturbate regularly and the remaining 1% will lie.
Belides, what if I become immortal, huh? You ever think about that?

You've had your fun.
Not yet I haven't.

Spending one of these precious alternate universe Paul segments I really like on sparring with Gambit is whatever I guess. Now that I've read it I'd have rather seen something like Mystique comes up to Paul alone while he's shopping or something and turns on the charm and tries to get him alone and when they are Paul says "What do you want, Mystique?" because the ring detected the x-gene and her shifting physiology instantly. And that conversation.

Word of Zoat does seem to indicate this Paul and Rogue do end up together, which while understandable is a bit of a shame since I've always liked the Rogue and Gambit dynamic.

Well there's your answer, enter a threeway relationship with Rogue and Gambit.

A fun solution, especially if Gambit is any degree of bisexual (which isn't something I've seen evidence of, but wouldn't be surprised if there were comics hinting at it, considering the history of X-Men comics).

Logan and Scott just need to fuck each other and they could all be happy together.

An alternate universe Wolverine was in a relationship with Hercules, I believe, so that's one possible canon source facilitating this outcome.

Remind me, was Gambit this possessive on the show?

I don't think so, but I haven't seen this show in nearly a decade.

Though it's unlikely a lot of guys looked to be trying to get into a serious romantic relationship with her due to her powers, so Gambit may not have felt all that threatened.

It's not like he's doing anything to get a technological solution, so why on earth would Paul get a forcefield for him, instead of the obvious choice of getting one directly for Rogue herself?

I mean, if the point is to give Rogue free will in who to pursue a romantic relationship with, wouldn't the obvious choice be to just give her the means to touch anyone, rather than giving her the means to specifically touch one other person?

Feels like getting a forcefield for Gambit would just hang a lampshade on the fact that he could have got one for Rogue and chose not to.

It's a weird romantic thing.

Paul may sometimes seem like a Vulcan with his logic, but he's also a romantic at heart and has stated he was worried that Rogue will be with him just because she doesn't have another choice, and Rogue may like Gambit.

I also don't think Paul was talking about getting a forcefield for Gambit to wear, but rather getting him a forcefield to give to Rogue so she can wear it.

The decision may not seem logical, but then again humans aren't logical creatures, especially when romance is concerned.

Also Gambit may have honestly thought that there wasn't a solution for her powers aside from her learning to control them because if the professor didn't give her something like that then there most likely wasn't anything like it

This chapter is pure crack. I think Paul was just looking for an excuse to visit... Stark. Wait a minute! Wasn't the last chapter him trying and failing to rescue Stark from the Mandarin?

No Stark apparently escaped.

He just went after them because he thought it would be easy and they were criminals.

I do like these other what ifs. But I would like to go back and see how the Gateway segment continued. Has there been anything more done with that?

Damn. Good one. That's the perfect and obvious solution and I could have thought of it, but didn't.
I get that relationship drama sells, but it gets ridiculous at times.
I think you can leave out the "at times". It just gets ridiculous. Full stop. Every. Single. Time. God I hate that trope, it's bloody everywhere.

I really hope she picks gambit. That was pure fucking arrogance.

Why?

Paul made some good points about why Gambit may be unsuitable for her, his flirting with other women and the fact that he didn't seem to put much thought about how their relationship is going to be like, and that he seemed to be more pissed that he was seemingly trying to start something with someone he saw as his, rather than because he was acting rudely and inappropriately with her.

He's also giving him a shot at actually getting into a relationship with her by having him give her something that will allow her to touch others, when if he was really arrogant he could have had Stark make the device and give it to her himself instead of having another guy do it.

That's not exactly bastard like behavior or all that arrogant.

Whoa, i missed the decisions that have a quick time event. I hope we see them used more in the side stories (since GRayven and Paul seem pretty muchlocked in to Renegade/Paragon.)

Damn. Good one. That's the perfect and obvious solution and I could have thought of it, but didn't.

I think that's what Paul was implying here.

That being giving the forcefield to Rogue to wear so she can touch people and Gambit can touch her.

Earth 534834

20th November 1992
11:13 GMT -5

I look at Jubilee mournfully. As mournfully as I can while covered in the blasted, chocolaty remains of the morning's work.
Does that deserve an 'Oh, my'? :p Because it sure as heck sounds like it. I'm sure it's completely innocent...

240px-Paragon_Interrupt.png

"I… I guess I used too much baking powder."
Ah... Now, I doubt any kind of cake could explode, so it sounds like a certain Cajun is playing the rival card, very childishly...

I blink, then raise my right hand to my eyes to wipe off some of the… Ex-cake, off my face while my assistant gasps in shock… Then snorts in amusement.

"Oh, whaw. Are you okay?"
Oh, please. Like anything Gambit could do would get through his shields? I doubt he could do anything to a construct, either.

Because 'baking powder' obviously explains why the plate shattered and the icing went everywhere like I added gelignite rather than gelatine. Fortunately, the work surface took the worst of it and my environmental shield is still up, but exploding shards of pottery are no laughing matter.

"I'm caked in cake, Jubilee."
True. Clearly, Gambit didn't think of what might happen to anyone else. Can you imagine the damage that clay shards could have done to Jubilee if she'd been in the room?

"What in tarnation-?"

Rogue flies into the kitchen at speed, double takes and lands unsteadily, staring wide-eyed at me.
And if the explosion was loud enough to be heard throughout the mansion, it must have been big. Man, Gambit needs a smack upside the head for this...

I spread my arms apologetically. "I'm afraid that lunch may be somewhat delayed."

She smiles as she approaches, pulling off her right glove and using her exposed hand to scoop cake off my right cheek. She then… Inserts the middle three fingers into her mouth, making a loudSucking noi-.
Ah, there's the 'Oh, my' moment. Where's that clip? <digdigdig>

Also, the teased 'eating cake off each other' moment Mr Zoat promised!

"Ew! Gross!"

Jubilee pulls a face, then turns and double-times out of the kitchen as Rogue pulls out her fingers, her tongue following them-.
:rolleyes: Oh, please, honey. One day you'll want to do just that. Not for a few years, though...

"Summat goin' on in here?"

Logan steps around the retreating Jubilee, sniffs, and looks both of over as Rogue and I awkwardly step apart. Then he turns around, waving his right hand dismissively.
Yeah, You just get the feeling this is not the weirdest thing he's seen over the years, even if he doesn't remember it.

"Try not ta wreck the place. And maybe put a sock on the door next time."

He closes the door with a thump, thoroughly killing the mood.
Damn, horny teenager burn! Not that he wouldn't mind being in a similar position with Jean...

Rogue and I… Avoid one another's eyes for a moment as I use the ring to clean up the blast zone. Rogue's… Been very… Tactile with me ever since I started training here, for… Obvious reasons. And she's a very attractive woman, and… That's a novel experience for me. But we don't actually know each other all that well, and… A certain existing member of the team has been making it clear that he's not at all happy with the way things have been developing. This is the furthest he's taking things, but if he's getting this petulant then I… Need to have a word with the man.
Well, you'd think he'd never had a romantic rival before... Seriously, Remy LeBeau is quite the man-child...

And I need to do it now, not after Rogue's finished licking her fingers clean.

As pleasant as that is to watch.
Easy there, libido. Last thing you need is to get spiked by the Tang.

"As, ah… Appealing as that sounds, I need to go and have a word with Mister Le.. Beau."

Rogue sighs. "And why, ah'm sure ah can't imagine." She raises her eyebrows. "Am ah gunna need a hose for you boys?"
Oh, she is just loving being the apex of the love triangle... Which is really just a bent line, really...

Ignoring the idea of a masculine wet t-shirt contest that suddenly appears in my mind, I shake my head.
...Or maybe not. I mean, sure, Gambit wears armour with sculpted abs, but the personality a bit's of a turn-off. Joy of bisexuality, huh?

"My word of honour that I will keep things-" A wave of orange removes the cake from me before turning into a construct rubbish bag and depositing it in the bin. "-civilised."

"Guess a fellah's gotta do what a fellah's gotta do."
Not that I expect either of them would follow The Duke's example of manliness...

I nod.

And neither of us mov-. Oh come on! I turn away, heading out through the kitchen's other door, out through one of the Manor's many side exits, around to the front-.

Mr LeBeau and I walk into each other.
Well, that was quick! I suppose Remy was coming to see the result of his prank?

The ring keeps me in place while he instinctively springs back, right hand going for his collapsible staff. It takes him a second to process who I am, and when he does his expression doesn't get any friendlier.

I smile. "Mister LeBeau. Just the man I wanted to speak to."
Yeah, Gambit would lose just about any fight they could have. I suppose being massively overgunned makes it a lot easier to be the better man.

"Can't imagine I got much I wanna say to you."

"I'm sorry, but it's somewhat hard to parse the meaning of an exploding cake." He smirks. "And I'm sure that if I let it go you'd continue pranking me in a similarly juvenile fashion, so I thought that I'd give you the opportunity to air your grievance to my face like a civilised adult. Though I suppose you don't really need to since it's obvious what it is."
Or rather, who it is... At any rate, if the initial prank is indicative of his methods, probably easier on the walls if it's headed off now.

"Since you wanna do this civilized-like, it ain't too polite to chase after another man's girl."

"Leaving aside the uncomfortable implication that you could own another human being, and ignoring the fact that I've been you hit on four other women since I've been here -one in the middle of a fire fight- I rather think that's her decision. And it's a very easy one, because I've got an advantage that you don't. I can touch her, and you can't."
Yeah, Remy really does like to tease and play the field...

His face hardens.

"Which just emphasises to me that you're not serious about her, and this reaction is the result of pure.. thwarted.. pride."
Kind of hard to argue against that interpretation, really. :rolleyes: Seriously, throw a pretty girl into the enemy ranks and he's practically humping their leg...

"Wouldn't mind seeing how you touch her without dat ring."

"Mister LeBeau, you live in a world of hover wheelchairs, man-portable plasma weapons and giant robots. And yet, not once have you attempted to acquire a device that would let you touch her. You simply threw 'charm' at her in the hope that she'd eventually… What, circum and drain you to death?"
You know, that is a good point. I mean, I don't know how Rogue would take being offered such a device, or seeing him using it, but hey...

He frowns.

"How m'ah supposed to make something like dat, exactly?"
I mean... They haven't met Forge yet, but he's probably not the best idea... But hey, this is a universe in which Reed Richards, Henry Pym and Tony Stark exist...

"From one of any number of high-tech research companies? Skin-tight force fields have any number of applications. You wouldn't even need to tell them what you planned on using it for. But since that hasn't occurred to you to do that… Fine. How about you and me go and visit Anthony Stark and see what he can come up with."

He blinks, his surliness momentarily shocked in abeyance.
I'll give him this, he was probably not expecting his perceived 'romantic rival' to offer to help him try to get the girl himself...

"You plannin' on helping me? Why?"

"Because it's one thing to win a race because you were the better man on the day, and quite another to win it because the other man didn't bother turning up on the day. If I don't help you, I get to spend the rest of my life wondering if Rogue's with me because I'm the best bet out of the handful of people she could be with. And I'd probably be fine with that, actually, but I'm trying to be the bigger man here."
Ha! Now that's a good analogy.

He hesitates.

"Do you want to turn into Logan? Because this is how you turn into Logan."
An even better analogy! And one they have a clear example of. Seriously, though, Scott/Jean/Logan is just annoying, but they way they seem to have handled it in the current comics is just worse... Look it up if you want to, but know that it seems way out of character for both men...

The surliness returns, but not quite to the same intensity. Good, he at least recognises that there's a problem.

"Professor think Rogue can learn to control her power."

"Yes. Hopefully. Maybe. Eventually. Frankly, I think Professor Xavier is being too optimistic, but even he doesn't have any idea how long that could take. And you know she's motivated to learn. How long were you expecting her to put her life on hold for?"
I mean, it is true that, in the comics, she does eventually get a handle on her powers. After years of suffering and several cosmic retcon events...

He nods grudgingly.

"You know Stark?"

"Never met the man. But I've got what I think is a piece of alien technology I think he'll trade for his help. Make a decision, Mister LeBeau."
As pointed out, he would still have the Mandarin's Ring he looted. I'm sure Tony would be very interested in getting a hold of it, even if it would paint a big target on wherever he ends up storing it...

He nods, returning his collapsed staff to its sheath.

"You wanna give Rogue to me, be foolish not to accept."

"That's really not what I'm doing." I rise into the air. "The headquarters of Stark Enterprises is in New York. Can you make your own way, or do you need a lift?"
I mean, unless you want to be waiting for a couple of hours while Remy gets a ride... (Seriously, Westchester is at least two hour's drive from New York. They can take day trips down there...)

Not the result any of us were expecting, was it? Still, even if he does find something for Rogue, or convince Tony to build it, there's still the matter of her deciding which man she likes more. ;) Who shall it be, I wonder: The Cajun bad boy, or the English gentleman?

What, circum and drain you to death?"
What, succumb and drain you to death?"

At least give other people a fighting chance I suppose is fair enough, even if they don't deserve it. Let him fail at catching Rogue's eye on his own merits, not because Rogue is attached to Paul because he is only one not effected by her power.

Does that deserve an 'Oh, my'? :p Because it sure as heck sounds like it. I'm sure it's completely innocent...

Sadly not yer.

But it will soon.

Well, you'd think he'd never had a romantic rival before... Seriously, Remy LeBeau is quite the man-child...

That he is.

Though seeing as he's also an attractive bad boy, he honestly may not have had an actual rival, at least not one that lasted long.

even better analogy! And one they have a clear example of. Seriously, though, Scott/Jean/Logan is just annoying, but they way they seem to have handled it in the current comics is just worse... Look it up if you want to, but know that it seems way out of character for both men...

The recent X Men comics haven't been exactly all that enjoyable.

Not the result any of us were expecting, was it? Still, even if he does find something for Rogue, or convince Tony to build it, there's still the matter of her deciding which man she likes more. ;) Who shall it be, I wonder: The Cajun bad boy, or the English gentleman?

My threeway idea still stands.

Unless this OL has developed body-snatching, I'm pretty sure that should be 'seen'.
Thank you, corrected.
'Once' works better, but 'one' isn't wrong.
Me think it be plural.
I'm reasonably confident that these are correct.

Because he's living and working with Mr LeBeau, and therefore their relationship matters as well.
This chapter is pure crack. I think Paul was just looking for an excuse to visit... Stark. Wait a minute! Wasn't the last chapter him trying and failing to rescue Stark from the Mandarin?
No, Stark had already freed himself at that point. This version of the SI was trying to kill or apprehend the people responsible.
Was that orange also Paul's instead of just Rogues, due to watching a woman doing what she is doing being very arousing.?
That was the SI.
Please let him tackle the Jean situation next?

Logan and Scott just need to fuck each other and they could all be happy together.

I get that relationship drama sells, but it gets ridiculous at times.
Maxx, you're not allowed multiple accounts on this site.
Spending one of these precious alternate universe Paul segments I really like on sparring with Gambit is whatever I guess. Now that I've read it I'd have rather seen something like Mystique comes up to Paul alone while he's shopping or something and turns on the charm and tries to get him alone and when they are Paul says "What do you want, Mystique?" because the ring detected the x-gene and her shifting physiology instantly. And that conversation.
It could detect the x-gene, but it wouldn't necessarily detect that she was a shapeshifter.
A fun solution, especially if Gambit is any degree of bisexual (which isn't something I've seen evidence of, but wouldn't be surprised if there were comics hinting at it, considering the history of X-Men comics).
Or Jean could just mind control him gay like she did with Iceman.
I do like these other what ifs. But I would like to go back and see how the Gateway segment continued. Has there been anything more done with that?
Not yet, but I'll note your interest.
Damn, horny teenager burn! Not that he wouldn't mind being in a similar position with Jean...
I don't know. Logan's got quite a lot of facial hair.
What, succumb and drain you to death?"
Thank you, corrected.

Seriously, though, Scott/Jean/Logan is just annoying, but they way they seem to have handled it in the current comics is just worse... Look it up if you want to, but know that it seems way out of character for both men...

Ok, I have morbid curiosity in this.. "current comics" event that you are referring to. Unfortunately, I'm too lazy and discouraged by "current comics" so I don't really want to investigate what happened. Could you please be so kind as to explain this?

In that particular universe, power-suppression devices are practically available at the corner hardware store so it's immersion-shattering that she never snags one.
It's not even fridge logic.
It's.
Just.
Fucking.
Dumb.

In that particular universe, power-suppression devices are practically available at the corner hardware store so it's immersion-shattering that she never snags one.
It's not even fridge logic.
It's.
Just.
Fucking.
Dumb.

My guess is that she's not using them due to moral and emotional reasons.

Those collars are mostly used to suppress the powers and enslave innocent mutants, instead of helping those that have trouble controlling their powers or who can't do it.

It's like accepting a medical procedure that was made by the Nazis by experimenting on victims. Sure you won't be as bad as them if you accept the procedure, but you may feel like your profiting off the suffering of others.

It may not be a logical decision, but it is understandable if this is why she chooses not to use them.

Mr Zoat, just to confirm, is this version of the SI the same one that meets up with Magneto to try and wipe out Sublime?

No, the one that met Magneto was the one from the Avengers EMH cartoon.

The Magneto from this universe is still active, while the one from EMH seems to be retired, at least according to the chapter where he showed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back