1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey Zoat, when I click on this link it doesn't seem to work.

It actually opens a new tab that says that it can't find the site, but for the other ones it doesn't open new tabs and they're there.

It may be that the link is faulty, or something is wrong with my computer.

2. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Sooo, what happens if he drops those ships into the Honden? It's potentially brain-frying and the ships wouldn't have defenses against it.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  3. Hell's Razer

Hell's Razer Passive Member

Mr Zoat
    The problem is that there is an "=" at the start of the link (right before the https)

Xmaster3000 and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

Thank you, corrected.

5. Threadmarks: Onslaught (part 19)
    Mr Zoat

25th August 2012
    05:41 GMT

The space around me turns purple and I abandon everything other than personal defence.

Shieldshieldshield!

Something just happened that caused them to snap out of the confusion my desire manipulation caused. I-.

Ah, duck and get back inside the hull because the flak shots are heading towards me and if they hit I'm dead. The fracture cannons are going through the hull easily enough but the beams from the two weapons can't coexist and I can just about hold out against this. It's not just a matter of maintaining the construct barriers, I've also got to prevent them opening a fracture inside me, which…

Fewer incoming shots. The ships are warping away. I need to

break

out and recreate my gravity stabiliser construct and-. Beam singularity, while they're trying to use their shields for running. That ship-. Yes! Now again, smaller, target their fracture generators! Crippled, good. And then

break

away to hit another ship. Hull broken! Target the weapons and fire-. Another ship crippled and another three warp out because I can't stop them, shield myself and attack at the same time. The next one's-.

Construct broken

move!

Where did that-?

A Scarab Warrior, the first one I encountered. I don't recognise the propulsion system they've morphed, but they're faster than they were-.

No, that was a warp. One of the ships bent space to move them into place, but since a spatial warp is pretty much a spatial warp I've got no way to tell which. Guess the closest? Fly behind that ship to restore my constructs fly out target and-.

And the construct's gone again because someone's-. The ships are feeding him data in real time. He's listening to aliens? Fine then, duck back and pulse orange energy because I spotted that lensing effect-. Hah, weren't expecting that were you? X-ionised sword and lunge, because I can't spare the-

Warning: low power. Fourteen percent remaining.

-charge right now. Been a while since I've heard that warning, but if Dox intends for me to do this sort of mission then he's going to have to accept the inefficiency and grant me a second ring again. Or give me the time to make a decent one myself.

My sword cuts through the left side of his chest as another ship leaves the combat area. Three effectives left, and one less Scarab when my follow-up cut slices his head and Scarab in twain. Now fly and fire!

And the last two go. I can't see either of the two remaining Scarabs, so either they're in hiding or they left with the ships.

"Lantern Threllian, you watching?"

Yes, Illustres. Doctor Sivana was just informing me that he believes he can build an interdiction field to prevent those warps that will be significantly more effective than… Currently-.

"Than the constructs I used. Good; I'll use his device in future. I'm low on power and Dox wants me elsewhere. Do you think you can handle the recovery without me?"

Yes.

"Then come and relieve me."

Because I need to stay here in case they come back. I don't think they will; those reports Guy shared with me suggest that the Reach never found a reliable way to determine how much charge a Lantern has left. If the rest of the fleet did come back I'd fight on until I was on vapours and then head to the Honden to recharge. That would only buy them… A few seconds entirely free of my interference, but they could use that to destroy the crippled ships and warp back out again.

Another Lantern would be stuffed, of course.

I could start the recovery process myself, but I can't spare the power. Because if they come back I'm going to need that fourteen percent. But… This… Went relatively well. I didn't need that clone, which I'm glad about. Didn't get all the ships, but I did get enough to demonstrate a viable counter-strategy to construct-draining attacks and took down some of them. We've got enough of Threllian's species to increase their genetic variety, and study what the Reach did to them.

"That was a rather impressive display."

Of course, I didn't target the ships' communications systems. Which means that my Reach admirer can still speak to me.

"Me or them?"

"Oh, both. If you were a Scarab Warrior your creativity and speed would put you in the top hexile, at the very least."

"Gosh. Are all the Scarabs who can keep up with me on holiday?"

"You know enough about Reach strategy to know that we don't respond at full force to initial attacks. Our best Scarab Warriors are in reserve, for when we need them."

"I didn't know that Scarabs could bond with severed heads."

"As long as the brain is alive. Though the Scarab will struggle to maintain vital functions without organs. I hope that one makes it back; I suspect that it will prove extremely instructive."

"Did you get a report on my peace negotiation attempt?"

"No, but I doubt that it matters. We can't let you get away with this. A purely local arrangement might be possible, but… You asked for something that would cripple us, didn't you?"

"You would have become the trading state you pretend to be."

"With you guaranteeing the peace?"

"Telepaths exist, you know. You wouldn't have to just take my word for it."

"I'm trained to evade telepaths, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that you were too."

"Magic, then?"

"Even if you were honest, I don't know enough about the subject to confirm anything you told me about it."

"And even if I could, your people wouldn't go for it."

"You could try teaching us?"

"That sounds like a rather critical security breach."

Though having said that, as far as we know the Reachians aren't capable of using magic. It wouldn't give them a new capacity; it would just let them plan around ours a little better.

Yeah, no.

"But you were happy with the performance of the ships?"

"They clearly out-performed the ships we use in our Outer Region Fleets. I invested, and I reap the benefits."

"I should thank you, then. We were worried that those species might have been lost permanently."

Threllian appears next to me, and I nod.

"But I'm afraid I'll have to cut this short. Excuse me."

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  6. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

It's been a while since Paragon has had to worry about ring charge. Anyone remember the last time he got that warning?

7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You know... You would think Paragon would be a bit more concerned about the Reach being able to hijack his ring's communications at will like that...

Prognostic Hannya and Relyt33 like this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

maybe 'constructs, fly out'

You can just ask Hinon.

You can alter your assimilated constructs into new rings, though those may not be decent.

And you may still need a lot of time to actually make a ring.

'when my'

'warp'

Ah Paul, always impressing the bad people,

Gasp, Paul is not helping a bad person increase their power.

Will the miracles never cease.

9. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

Something I don't understand: If both of those fleets were Threllian, why was the first one so much weaker than the second? Or was the first one a different species?

moralrelativity likes this.
  10. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

A massive, multi-ship crossfire? If it were anyone else, I'd say it was overkill. But when OL is in the field, Overkill becomes the minimum required level... The problem is the longer this goes on, the more they can learn how he fights, which leaves him vulnerable to targetted counter-tactics.

Oooh, they can basically telefrag? That's a whole new level of nasty. But the sudden no-sell of his new trick is a worry. Did they have a backup system, or has someone more distant taken over?

At least he's getting killshots through while their guns are occupied elsewhere.

Not a perfect mission complete, but the fleet is much reduced from it's former strength. I suspect it'll be pulled back to rearm and... re-crew.

Always a pain when you're trying to do something involved and someone just keeps poking you, huh?

And for some reason, I'm picturing manoeuvring thrusters like a Gundam dotted all over their back and calves...

Oh, that's even more annoying. The fleet can throw scarabs around the battlefield now?

Wow, goes to show how energy-intensive this whole fight was. When was the last time we heard that alert in-story?

At least you've got some mission kills to loot. Including a Scarab Warrior, though I expect it's already self-destructing as you turn away.

Well, fights over. That was an entertaining five minutes. No, literally. Look at the timestamps: He approaches the fleet at 5:36, begins his attack a minute or so later. Last ship leaves the AO at about 5:42. Goes to show how quickly a really effective Lantern can fight.

Ah, Tad making himself actually helpful... Something OL said to him must have gotten through that misanthropic outer shell.

Because you really need a drink after that little tussle, huh? :p I bet Guy would pull a subspaced bottle of soda (still ice-cold!) out as soon as his relief was on station...

If you ever learn to channel energy direct from the Honden, that would push you clear into diety-class threat territory... And the Reach would likely panic in its attempts to find ways to kill you permanently.

And pulling your personal lantern out right now would be an open invitation for a cloaked Scarab to hit you in the back... Good plan.

Transmitting on all frequencies, no doubt. Because he (or possibly she, who knows?) knows OL wants the wrecked ships, and will be nearby to hear them. Smart enemies, always annoying.

Of course, to the Admiral, I'm sure that's high praise. Pity OL doesn't share that opinion.

And fleets like these are hardly priority sites to be guarded, I suppose. Except for those with the anti-Spectrum weapons...

It probably wouldn't be the weirdest Scarab Warrior out there, I guess? Given some of the more unusual morphologies in the galaxy.

Something like that, yes. You might want to read it, clever boy.

Not OL personally, no. But I'm sure the Orange Lantern Corps would be happy to oversee their disarmament,

Not as well as some versions of him, no. Looking at you, 'my mind is a fortress' Renegade. Still, OL does have quite the booby-trap available.

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorceror's ways, Lord Vader..."

:VBwahahaha:Vhahahahahahahah:Vahahahahahahaha:Vhhahahaack-glurk... Oh, god, I'm dying here. The Admiral should go into stand-up with lines that funny...

...Ol, No.

:confused: Man, is it sad that practically deserved a 'Common Sense' interrupt?

Man, I want OL to meet this guy face to face at some point, just to see how he stacks up to our mental images of him, huh?

Time to go find a quiet room, recharge and then relax. Because that might have been one of the longest, toughest fights in recent episodes he's had... Anyone else would probably need time to wind down after that...

So, the mission draws to a close, but there's still things to be taken care of and sub-plots to be resolved, like Tad's upcoming duel (which I expect will be an aside in the next episode.) The biggest one will be N.E.M.O's science divisions having their say about the anti-Spectrum guns. Those probably aren't going to be a major impact on most battlefields once the Corps adjusts to them, though.

The first fleet was a different race, the juluuni (pangolin-like humanoids) with a much less extreme doctrine of ships and armaments. And presumably hadn't been equipped with the anti-Spectrum weaponry yet.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or he just wants to show off how smart he is.

The name trick.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Yes, yes it is sad.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It still doesn't work.

13. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

was -> as

14. Prognostic Hannya

Prognostic Hannya Knight of the Yuri Crusade

What's the name of Paragon's new arch-enemy? He needs something to dramatically yell while shaking his fist at the sky.

15. 1moleman

1moleman Know what you're doing yet?

Honestly these battle sequences are already disjointed messes and now in between short paragraphs of action, and jumps and reactions and philosophical thought... there are conversations.

Also like 3 fleets of this level of capability would utterly destroy the green lanterns. It's a little unbelievable that the Reach in its stand off with the GL has not developed this kind of tech until a few month after the OL war is declared.

Those "Free Traders" definitely need to be "killed in an antipiracy raid"... letting people get away with selling your enemies weapons designed purely to counter your main weapons is basically endorsing an act of war

16. Mr Zoat

That's better grammar, but he's thinking in a rush.
    He can get a ring from a variety of people, but Dox is supposed to be in charge of Corp policy.
    They're not.
    Thank you, corrected.

17. jasonh23761

jasonh23761 Not too sore, are you?

Honestly it's nice to see Paragon on the back foot every now and then. He's grown beyond what Earth can reasonably chuck at him so I like the idea of there being threats who can contest him without being upper New God tier or the like.

It honestly feels sometimes like Renegade is more interesting because he struggles more. Though having Darkseid just lay him out in barely more then a minute or two did help with that.

Ardy and FourthPear like this.
  18. Clell65619

Clell65619 Making the rounds.

I vote for Steve. Imagine Paragon going full Shatner in Wrath of Khan mode: "STEVE!"

Sorrow, Lord Ernest, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  19. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Mr Zoat ?
    If he just needs a power bank wouldn't something larger like a belt or a slim backpack be better than a ring?

20. nobodez

nobodez Bringer of Context

But the ring has been the standard for billions of years, if it was good enough for the Controllers it’s good enough for some upstart human.

Ardy likes this.
  21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

22. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

when you think about it, he should be able to recharge his ring by popping into the Honden.

Ardy likes this.
  23. Mr Zoat

I don't know what's happening with that, but it should work now.

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It still doesn't work.

Hell's Razer gave this suggestion.

25. Mr Zoat

It works for me. I'm clicking on it and going to the correct page. Looking at it in plain text mode reveals no extraneous equal signs.

26. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

It's also nonfunctional for me, though what I'm seeing is a "%3Dhttps" and not an =, but I have no clue what that means.

A quick inspection has revealed an entire second https in the link however, and this one does have an = at the beginning.

27. Mr Zoat

This is what it currently says:

[​IMG]

I don't see what you're seeing.

28. lars

lars Avid reader

Here's a list of episodes where you can find the alternative settings or lanterns so you don't have to sift through the threadmarks. Note that the list is still incomplete.

Red Lantern:
    Ep 42
    -Sororicide (Part 21)
    -Sororicide (part 22)
    Ep 84
    -Uxoricide (part 12)
    -Uxocicide (part 13)
    Ep 99
    -Will murder for personal satisfaction
    Ep 109
    -Liberticide (part 1)
    -Liberticide (part 2)
    -Liberticide (part 3)
    -Liberticide (part 4)

Anti green Lantern:
    Ep 42
    -Mayday (part 3)
    -Mayday (part 23)
    Ep 83
    -Encumbrance (part 19)
    -Difficulty (part 15)
    -Difficulty (part 16)
    -Difficulty (part 17)
    Ep 91
    -Irritation
    Ep 98
    -Everything is awesome

Blue Lantern/Earth -14:
    Ep 27
    -Meanwhile, on Earth -14
    Ep 33
    -Doppelgänger story only
    Ep 42
    -Defector (part 5)
    Ep 85
    -Some time ago on Earth -14
    -Doppelgängered story only

Yellow Lantern:
    Ep 95
    -Lantern corps, Ho!
    -Lantern corps, Ho!
    -Lantern corps, Ho!
    Ep 98
    -In Order
    Ep 100
    -Wyrm (part 1)
    -Wyrm (part 2)
    -Wyrm (part 3)

Indigo Lantern:
    Ep 42
    -Bereave (part 1)
    -Bereave (part 7)
    Ep 82
    -Nobody Move (part 21)

Ep 42
    -Avatar: Legend of Azula (part 1)
    -Avatar: Legend of Azula (part 2)

My Little Pony FiM
    Ep 42
    -My Little Lantern: Avarice is Magic (part 1)
    -My Little Lantern: Avarice is Magic (part 2)

Captain Planet
    Ep 42
    -Blight Up Your Life (part 1)

Kung Fu Panda
    Ep 42
    -Kung Fu Leopard (part 1)
    -Kung Fu Leopard (part 2)

ElseWhen/ Jade Scott
    Ep 74
    -ElseWhen
    -ElseWhen
    Ep 75
    -ElseWhen
    -ElseWhen
    -ElseWhen
    Ep76
    -ElseWhen
    Ep 90
    -ElseWhen
    -ElseWhen

Common sense:
    Ep 78
    -Common sense (part 1)
    Ep 82
    -Common sense (part 2)
    Ep 86
    -Common sense (part 3)
    -Common sense (part 4)
    Ep 87
    -Common sense (part 5)
    Ep 110
    -Common sense (part 6)
    -Common sense (part 7)

Sybarite:
    Ep 81
    -Sybarite (part 1)
    -Sybarite (part 2)

Justice League unlimited:
    Ep 85
    -A long time ago on Earth 12
    -A little later on Earth 12
    -Some time ago on Earth 12
    -Recently on Earth 12
    Ep 87
    -Recently on Earth 12
    Ep 92
    -Covert community (part 1)
    -Covert community (part 2)
    Ep 98
    -Here's mud in your you
    Ep 102
    -Some time ago on Earth 12
    -Most recently on Earth 12
    -Still on Earth 12
    -On Earth 12 again

He-man:
    Ep 94
    -I HAVE THE POWER! RING
    -I HAVE THE POWER! RING

Fallout:
    Ep 94
    -Old World Dudes
    -Old World Dudes
    Ep 97
    -Should Have Posted This Sooner
    Ep 108
    -Fallin (part 1)
    -Fallin (part 2)
    -Fallin (part 3)
    -Fallin (part 4)
    -Fallin (part 5)
    -Fallin (part 6)
    -Fallin (part 7)

Avengers EMH:
    Ep 94
    -Earth's Orangest Hero
    -Earth's Orangest Hero

Angel Paul:
    Ep 94
    -Fratricide squad
    Ep 98
    -Clarity

WH fantasy:
    Ep 95
    -Warlantern Fantasy Battle
    Ep 101
    -Warhammered (part 1)
    -Warhammered (part 2)
    -Warhammered (part 3)
    -Warhammered (part 4)

WH40K:
    Ep 95
    -Warlantern 40,000
    -Warlantern 40,000
    -Warlantern 40,000
    Ep 104
    -Kaising the Joint (part 1)
    -Kaising the Joint (part 2)
    -Kaising the Joint (part 3)
    -Kaising the Joint (part 4)
    -Kaising the Joint (part 5)

Black Lantern
    Ep 96
    -Repetition (part 13)
    -Repetition (part 14)
    -Repetition (part 16)
    -Repetition (part 17)

Tangseid:
    Ep 99
    -When you're Evil
    Ep 106
    -Sauntering downwards (part 1)
    -Sauntering downwards (part 2)
    -Sauntering downwards (part 3)
    -Sauntering downwards (part 4)
    -Sauntering downwards (part 5)

Stargirl:
    Ep 99
    -Ringman (part 1)
    -Ringman (part 2)

GATE:
    Ep 103
    -Gateway (part 1)
    -Gateway (part 2)
    -Gateway (part 3)
    -Gateway (part 4)

Marvel:
    Ep 107
    -Meanwhile, on Earth 534834 (part 1)
    -Meanwhile, on Earth 534834 (part 2)
    -Meanwhile, on Earth 534834 (part 3)
    -Meanwhile, on Earth 534834 (part 4)
    -Meanwhile, on Earth 534834 (part 5)

Teal Lantern:
    Ep 111
    -I smile to see you want (part 4a)
    -I smile to see you want (part 4b)

Edit 1. Formatting and adding links
    Edit 2. Added more links
    Edit 3. Added Black Lantern

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  29. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

If you'd like to update the list on the wiki, let me know and I can set you up with an editor account.

30. quietwhile

quietwhile Getting out there.

It could be some sort of weird character that each system handles differently. I'd suggest you delete the whole [url tag so you can start from scratch