• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

What, was he talking to seaweed before? Having chats with coral?

Marine Animals, so that excludes plants, fungi, bacteria, and viruses? I don't recall Arthur ever calling on any of those families, so has his powerset actually been nerfed?

Sorry I wasn't clear- Greg indicated that in YJ Aquaman only has marine telepathy with aquatic mammals.

As for telepathically communing with plants, actually yes he has such feats.

He sicced plankton on a guy. He attacked Swamp Thing telepathically.

I'm sure it's fine to let Supergirl crash at your girlfriend's apartment while she's out of town and you're working closely with her. Don't worry Paul.

Nothing wrong with that, she was my third choice back in the day and a much more interesting girlfriend material for Paul than Jade... Then again I never liked Jade to begin with.

Future Tense (part 4)
13th September 2012
06:57 GMT -5

The turrets deploy, and for a moment I'm worried-. Concerned-. Mildly annoyed to think that I'm going to have a repeat of the first time I did this.

"Orange Lantern detected."

And then they clunk back into their housing and the lights return to normal levels. Despite what Tim Burton might want you to believe, the batcave actually has perfectly normal levels of lighting most of the time. It doesn't have them at full daylight levels because Batman wants to be able to see at least somewhat if they either suddenly go out or he needs to go out into the night. He's perfectly capable of setting it up to match the day/night cycle outside, but… Unnecessary complexity? The zeta tube being able to deposit him somewhere at a different time of day?

Eye strain?

"Ah, Master Lantern."

I nod politely at Mr. Pennyworth as he puts down the tool he was oiling.

"Mister Pennyworth. Is Batman at home?"

"I shall find out at once, sir. Might I presume to enquire why you are here?"

"Someone took a shot at a friend of mine using a novel bullet. Also, I think we're about to come down with another time traveller infestation."

"Most troubling, sir. Will you wait here, or shall I ask him to contact you directly?"

"If it's no trouble, I'll wait."

"Certainly, sir." He bows his head slightly, then heads for the stairs. "Please try to avoid getting between the gun turrets and the exhibitions; they've just been polished."

"The guns or the exhibitions?"

"Yes, sir."

Huh. I take another look around as he heads up into Wayne Manor. Wards. Decent ones. I… Oh. I think I accidentally melted the inscription on that one. Take a… Moment to fix the physical aspect. There are a few places that are resisting my scans, but I'm seeing a lot of runic metal rather than something more primitive or off-the-shelf. He trusted someone to work on his cave's defences, but… Not Dr. Balewa, this isn't his style. I'd guess Mr. Zatara, which suggests that he's been using his convalescence…

When was the last time I saw..?

His convalescence to keep himself up to date on developments in thaumaturgy. Which is certainly a productive use of his time, though his natural abilities don't really require it.

Uh, Thursday during school term. Most of the team is going to be busy, and it's not as if I've got any leads

Ring, what's Dana doing?

Because I doubt that someone that unprofessional and discombobulated is going to practise good communications discipline.

A construct image appears in front of me, assembled from the various camera and monitoring devices in the flat. Huh, just realised that I didn't see her wearing a Legion flight ring. And I didn't see one on Chameleon Boy either. Does this version of the Legion not use them? It's actually quite hard to make a ring-sized device that lets people fly safely.

"…even make sense? No, no, Rokk, I'm not worried about that. … Okay, maybe a bit. No, no, he's not going to do anything crazy."

I bow my head slightly.

"Shoot me himself? Why would he use a bullet?"

Actually, that would have been a good idea, if I were simply trying to extract information. As it is, I'm prioritising avoiding Legion-related problems in the future over convenience today.

"What did Brainy-? Can we-? Can we check, then? Because that sounds important. I mean, why am I even here?"

Well, if your Brainiac is anything like mine, because he hates the idea of being outsmarted and won't be happy until he's defeated Time Trapper in some way and if it looks like Time Trapper has just quit the field he might go a little peculiar. I know that Dox would never accept his father just quitting, but I don't know what actual relationship… I want to say… Quirrell? Dox, has with Vril. They're supposed to be from a thousand years in the future, so I doubt he can just be my Dox's great grandson.

"Yeah, I can-. I can probably get the Atomic Axe. They can't even use it, and they'll see that it's better if it's not in the same era as Persuader. … I don't know, do we really want him back? No, because this isn't our-. Your past any more. … How would I even test that?"

"Orange Lantern?"

I glance around and nod at Batman-. No, no costume. Marriage has really mellowed him out. As Bruce walks down into the cave.

"Just spying on a woman who really should have realised that I'd have monitoring equipment in my home. Ring, what do the internal sensors say about where she's calling?"

"No phenomena associated with time travel detected."

"They're in this era? Interesting."

"Unable to determine."

"What happened?"

I flick a ball of orange light towards the main computer, causing-. Causing the ball to fizzle just before it arrives.

"I like your defences."

"Thank you. What happened?"

He thanked me first?

"Remember Dana Dearden?"

"The author of a series of ill-advised and poorly-written opinion pieces on the team."

"That's the one. Just after that mess with Rip Hunter got sorted out, she went to the future with me and a group called the Legion of Superheroes."

"Then why am I hearing about it now?"

That was a bit Batmany.

"Because after-. Actually, I'm not sure if 'after' is the term. Once they finished with me, they erased the part of time where it happened. All I remember is feeling mildly confused for a moment after leaving the Hall of Justice. Dana on the other hand stayed there for a few years."

"Why is she back?"

"Because their old team leader thinks I'm destroying their future and has got a bit obsessed."

"No. Why her?"

"Ah. Established relationship? Familiarity with this era? They're from the thirtieth century, after the Reach burned the Earth to the ground. Their records of this period aren't great. And hey: this is a great chance for you to confirm everything Kadabra and I have been saying about the future."

I reach out with a cable supported by a filament and plug it into the computer's sheep dip compartment, transferring all of my recordings over.

"I can probably keep her safe, but my scans revealed nothing helpful."

He nods. "I'll start an investigation. Send me any new data she provides. Where will you take her?"

"I'll take her to KordTech. That should be safe enough, and we can say hello to Kara on the way."

I raise my right hand to my-.

Ah.

"Thank you."

He nods as he heads towards where the costumes are stored. "You're welcome."

Last edited:
Huh. In the Legion-era, I think the assumption would be she was part Daxamite (like Mon-el), not part Kryptonian, which would make sense for a lead bullet (that somehow survived being imbued with that much force). Except if the would-be assassin knew about the Legion's habit of importing Super teens from the past, and knew she was from the past, then they might actually assume part-Kryptonian. Either way this is Dana herself saying her view of what people think she is, so it's fine. Just stuck out to me, because of the Daxamite vulnerability to lead.

Well first of all Superman has descendants in the 31st century- Kent Shakespeare and his cousin however many times removed Laurel Kent.

Kandor was also unshrunk so there's an entire planet of Kryptonians in the 31st century, Rokyn.

Also Dev-Em is a Legion character.

Sounds like the Legion really has no idea what's going on. That's probably irking Brainiac 5 quite a bit.

Huh, just realised that I didn't see her wearing an Legion flight ring.
That should say 'a'.

Ring, what do the internal sensors way about where she's calling?
That should say 'say'.

I reach out with a cable supported by a filament and plug it in to the computer's sheep dip compartment, transferring all of my recordings over.
That should say 'into'.

Someone took a shot at a friend of mine using a novel bullet. Also, I think we're about to come down with another time traveller infestation."

"Most troubling, sir

Ohh, Alfred.

You truly are the greatest comic book character.

Please try to avoid getting between the gun turrets and the exhibitions; they've just been polished."

"Yes, sir."

Really the best.

Mr. Zatara, which suggests that he's been using his convalescence…

I think it was during the time you went to Witch World.

It's actually quite hard to make a ring-sized device that lets people fly safely.

You're wearing one, and Brainiac 5 is a 12th level intellect, so it should be possible for him.

Well, seeing as Time Trapper was mentioned and he was Time Trapper in the comics, this worries me.

No, no, he's not going to do anything crazy."

Hahahahahahahahajaha.

You really don't know Paul.

Hqhahahahahahaha.

bow my head slightly

You know what you are.

Shoot me himself? Why would he use a bullet?"

Well he can throw off suspicion from himself since people may not think he'll use a bullet.

They're supposed to be from a thousand years in the future, so I doubt he can just be my Dox's great grandson

He could be.

Vril could have extended his lifespan, the same goes for any child or grandchild he has.

As Bruce walk down into the cave.

'walks'

No phenomena associated with time travel detected."

"Unable to determine."

So they're either here or the time travel aspect can't be detected.

I like your defences."

He thanked me first?

He really has mellowed out.

The author of a series of ill-advised and poorly-written opinion pieces on the team."

And Paul got her a date with a Team member.

That's the one. Just after that mess with Rip Hunter got sorted out, she went to the future with me and a group called the Legion of Superheroes."

That was a bit Batmany.

Well it is an important thing you didn't mention.

Ah.

"Thank you."

He nods as he heads towards where the costumes are stored. "You're welcome

Really mellowed out.

13th September 2012
06:57 GMT -5

The turrets deploy, and for a moment I'm worried-. Concerned-. Mildly annoyed to think that I'm going to have a repeat of the first time I did this.

"Orange Lantern detected."
Ah, the Batcave. I suppose the best thing when you have a Mystery is a Detective. Not necessarily the greatest detective on Earth, but OL doesn't know people like Detective Chimp... While I doubt introducing himself to Ralph Dibny would help much.

And then they clunk back into their housing and the lights return to normal levels. Despite what Tim Burton might want you to believe, the batcave actually has perfectly normal levels of lighting most of the time. It doesn't have them at full daylight levels because Batman wants to be able to see at least somewhat if they either suddenly go out or he needs to go out into the night. He's perfectly capable of setting it up to match the day/night cycle outside, but… Unnecessary complexity? The zeta tube being able to deposit him somewhere at a different time of day?
...The missus complained about how dark it was? I mean, Talia's probably used to poorly lit caves, but there's a line. :p

Eye strain?

"Ah, Master Lantern."

I nod politely at Mr. Pennyworth as he puts down the tool he was oiling.
And could no doubt have used as a weapon if need be. Because, you know, former spy (in some continuities.)

"Mister Pennyworth. Is Batman at home?"

"I shall find out at once, sir. Might I presume to enquire why you are here?"
...And how much cleanup will be needed afterwards. Because Alfred isn't getting any younger, you know.

"Someone took a shot at a friend of mine using a novel bullet. Also, I think we're about to come down with another time traveller infestation."

"Most troubling, sir. Will you wait here, or shall I ask him to contact you directly?"
And you know he's seen some shit when he takes 'Time traveller infestation' in his stride like that. The consummate Gentleman's Gentleman.

"If it's no trouble, I'll wait."

"Certainly, sir." He bows his head slightly, then heads for the stairs. "Please try to avoid getting between the gun turrets and the exhibitions; they've just been polished."
Heh. Looking out for the cool stuff.

"Yes, sir."
Seriously, Alfred must spend all day cleaning both the cave and the mansion... When he's not poking holes in Bruce's dark and brooding moods. :p

Huh. I take another look around as he heads up into Wayne Manor. Wards. Decent ones. I… Oh. I think I accidentally melted the inscription on that one. Take a… Moment to fix the physical aspect. There are a few places that are resisting my scans, but I'm seeing a lot of runic metal rather than something more primitive or off-the-shelf. He trusted someone to work on his cave's defences, but… Not Dr. Balewa, this isn't his style. I'd guess Mr. Zatara, which suggests that he's been using his convalescence…
Yeah, I can see Batman trusting Giovanni more. Though it looks like he might have to give the wards an upgrade after this.

His convalescence to keep himself up to date on developments in thaumaturgy. Which is certainly a productive use of his time, though his natural abilities don't really require it.
Still, better to know this shit than be blindsided by something you can't backwards-talk into not existing.

Uh, Thursday during school term. Most of the team is going to be busy, and it's not as if I've got any leads

Ring, what's Dana doing?
Yeah, might help to know what she's saying to her team, if she's talking to them...

Because I doubt that someone that unprofessional and discombobulated is going to practice good communications discipline.

A construct image appears in front of me, assembled from the various camera and monitoring devices in the flat. Huh, just realised that I didn't see her wearing an Legion flight ring. And I didn't see one on Chameleon Boy either. Does this version of the Legion not use them? It's actually quite hard to make a ring-sized device that lets people fly safely.
Who knows, maybe they have them built into their super-suits. The belt buckle insignia is a logical place. And there's no guarantee that they aren't fitted with optical camouflage... :rolleyes: Or they simply took them off as needed. Dana does basically have the full FISS package...

"…even make sense? No, no, Rokk, I'm not worried about that. … Okay, maybe a bit. No, no, he's not going to do anything crazy."

I bow my head slightly.
Boy, she really has no idea, does she? Does she not remember the Cake?

"Shoot me himself? Why would he use a bullet?"

Actually, that would have been a good idea, if I were simply trying to extract information. As it is, I'm prioritising avoiding Legion-related problems in the future over convenience today.
Heck, even just Brand her and ask. Given the Legion era's lack of knowledge about Power Rings (because the Guardians are all dead or otherwise no longer present in that universe,) I doubt they'd have any reliable defence.

"What did Brainy-? Can we-? Can we check, then? Because that sounds important. I mean, why am I even here?"

Well, if you're Brainiac is anything like mine, because he hates the idea of being outsmarted and won't be happy until he's defeated Time Trapper in some way and if it looks like Time Trapper has just quit the field he might go a little peculiar. I know that Dox would never accept his father just quitting, but I don't know what actual relationship… I want to say… Quirrell? Dox, has with Vril. They're supposed to be from a thousand years in the future, so I doubt he can just be my Dox's great grandson.
Querl Dox, actually. And the Brainiac title was... Let's just say our boy Vril Dox's daughter gave it a bad name, until Brainy's father revived it.

"Yeah, I can-. I can probably get the Atomic Axe. They can't even use it, and they'll see that it's better if it's not in the same era as Persuader. … I don't know, do we really want him back? No, because this isn't our-. Your past any more. … How would I even test that?"

"Orange Lantern?"
The only problem is, if the Atomic Axe is back in the future, someone will eventually try and get a hold of it. Here, at least it can serve as the lynchpin of a time paradox. :D

I glance around and nod at Batman-. No, no costume. Marriage has really mellowed him out. As Bruce walk down into the cave.

"Just spying on a woman who really should have realised that I'd have monitoring equipment in my home. Ring, what do the internal sensors way about where she's calling?"
'Spying on' is such a rude term. :cool: You couldn't have called it 'monitoring'? Anyway, I guess he was doing something as Bruce topside. Hopefully it's nothing important.

"No phenomena associated with time travel detected."

But logical. Minimizes the risk of temporal erasure if their era gets retconned. But then, they don't know how it works now, so...

"Unable to determine."

"What happened?"

I flick a ball of orange light towards the main computer, causing-. Causing the ball to fizzle just before it arrives.
Huh. I'm impressed. Magical firewall?

"I like your defences."

...This feels like a 'Batman's smiling at me? I'm doomed, aren't I?' moment... Any more mellow and he may as well start running around in an Adam West-era batsuit...

He thanked me first?

"Remember Dana Dearden?"

"The author of a series of ill-advised and poorly-written opinion pieces on the team."
Ah, yes, she's largely a footnote in this era.

"That's the one. Just after that mess with Rip Hunter got sorted out, she went to the future with me and a group called the Legion of Superheroes."

...Ah, there you are, Bats. Still, go easy on him, he didn't remember it happening.

That was a bit Batmany.

"Because after-. Actually, I'm not sure if 'after' is the term. Once they finished with me, they erased the part of time where it happened. All I remember is feeling mildly confused for a moment after leaving the Hall of Justice. Dana on the other hand stayed there for a few years."
Time Travel: Mangling the English language since before the concept had even been invented.

"Why is she back?"

"Because their old team leader thinks I'm destroying their future and has got a bit obsessed."
To be fair, he is a Dox. Obsession does run in the blood. Just be glad Vril the younger has an outlet in the Orange Lantern Corps. And friends willing to distract him as needed.

"No. Why her?"

"Ah. Established relationship? Familiarity with this era? They're from the thirtieth century, after the Reach burned the Earth to the ground. Their records of this period aren't great. And hey: this is a great chance for you to confirm everything Kadabra and I have been saying about the future."
Ah, OL. Always looking on the bright side of random plots and side-quests.

I reach out with a cable supported by a filament and plug it in to the computer's sheep dip compartment, transferring all of my recordings over.

"I can probably keep her safe, but my scans revealed nothing helpful."
A Sheep-Dip terminal, for reference. Not that OL would likely have any trouble with info-war software on the Ring...

He nods. "I'll start an investigation. Send me any new data she provides. Where will you take her?"

"I'll take her to KordTech. That should be safe enough, and we can say hello to Kara on the way."
And recruit her for assistance if things go ploin-shaped. I doubt Kryptonians were foolish enough to mess with time travel once they worked out the dangers.

Ah.
OL, manners. He hasn't been gruff or abrupt with you at all today...

"Thank you."

He nods as he heads towards where the costumes are stored. "You're welcome."
Good lord. He really has mellowed out...

:confused: Well, that was a surprisingly civil interaction with Batman. Who knew, being married was good for him. So, how long till he ditches the black-and-dark grey batsuits for blue-and-light grey, :p and starts running around in the daytime? But seriously, touching base with the league is probably a good idea at this point. Given how crazy previous encounters with the Legion got...

I doubt it was that hard, they are made from a Nth-metal alloy, the metal that innately manipulates gravity and the other three forces of the universe.
True, but Nth-metal is a cheaty shortcut for a lot of things.
Ah, the Batcave. I suppose the best thing when you have a Mystery is a Detective. Not necessarily the greatest detective on Earth, but OL doesn't know people like Detective Chimp... While I doubt introducing himself to Ralph Dibny would help much.
He does know Detective Chimp. The thinking cap prototype boosted his brain in this continuity.

Last edited:
Not necessarily the greatest detective on Earth, but OL doesn't know people like Detective Chimp... While I doubt introducing himself to Ralph Dibny would help much.

Batman is still a better detective than them.

And could no doubt have used as a weapon if need be. Because, you know, former spy (in some continuities.)

And even if he wasn't a former spy you'd still not want to get on his bad side.

Boy, she really has no idea, does she? Does she not remember the Cake?

She may have thought that was just a one time thing.

Heck, even just Brand her and ask. Given the Legion era's lack of knowledge about Power Rings (because the Guardians are all dead or otherwise no longer present in that universe,) I doubt they'd have any reliable defence.

Yeah, that may not be such a good idea.

Her powers may protect her from it and if the Legion is here then they won't take kindly to him doing it.

The only problem is, if the Atomic Axe is back in the future, someone will eventually try and get a hold of it

They may still try it even if it remains in the 21st century.

This feels like a 'Batman's smiling at me? I'm doomed, aren't I?' moment... Any more mellow and he may as well start running around in an Adam West-era batsuit...

Now I can't help but imagine a version that ended up there and either went insane or became an alcoholic, or both.

To be fair, he is a Dox. Obsession does run in the blood. Just be glad Vril the younger has an outlet in the Orange Lantern Corps. And friends willing to distract him as needed.

Though the fact that he has a mind altering device that can increase his obsession probably isn't so good.

He does know Detective Chimp. The thinking cap prototype boosted his brain in this continuity

Though he hasn't really adopted a detective lifestyle.

That should say 'a'.
That should say 'say'.
That should say 'into'.
Thank you, corrected.
I don't understand your correction. The SI is misremembering, so there's no 'wrong' answer. I used the spelling for the man from Harry Potter.
Talia/Batman or Selina/Batman?
What are your personal preferences?
Selina/Batman. Their preferences, on the other hand...

True, but Nth-metal is a cheaty shortcut for a lot of things.
So let's cheat!:sneaky:
FISS?
most happy version of himself
Link?
He does know Detective Chimp. The thinking cap prototype boosted his brain in this continuity.
So he became a detective in this fic?
She may have thought that was just a one time thing.
As far as OL is concerned it shall remain a one time thing!
Now I can't help but imagine a version that ended up there and either went insane or became an alcoholic, or both.
Mr Zoat was there?

Talia/Batman or Selina/Batman?
What are your personal preferences?

Selina makes Bruce happier, plus that way you get original Huntress.

And Talia is a terrible parent, needs ALL THE THERAPY and values her father over everyone else.

Catwoman was willing to retire and marry Bruce, didn't turn her kid into a killing machine and also didn't replace him with a clone.

And even if we go just by early Talia, the times she keep betraying Bruce to her father and almost got Batman dead are way too many.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_(Earth-Two)

Also know as Blue Suit/Silver Age Batman that married Catwoman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back